Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Genocyber posted:

I think he's saying "why don't they sell them all at once and crash the market." Which would be the ideal situation.

They're gearing up for a massive practical joke once Bitcoins get over the whole "Largest exchange shutting down and taking millions in Ron Paul Cunbux out of circulation" thing happening now and the value rises to over $1000 again. Flood the market with $10 coins and kill the dumbest internet thing in one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Limited currency doesn't work that way - you'd have to ruin peoples faith in it, otherwise it will just stabilize and go back up once you've hit it with the inflation. It might not go as high immediately, assuming fixed demand, but you couldn't keep the price artificially depressed with a limited number of coins.

Keep in mind I don't own any bitcoin or care about it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

unfair posted:

Limited currency doesn't work that way - you'd have to ruin peoples faith in it, otherwise it will just stabilize and go back up once you've hit it with the inflation. It might not go as high immediately, assuming fixed demand, but you couldn't keep the price artificially depressed with a limited number of coins.

Keep in mind I don't own any bitcoin or care about it.

And either way, LP doesn't seem like the right place to discuss it.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
To get back on topic with LP-related stuff, I started up a series on Youtube. I know there's a ban on Pokémon related stuff here, and I don't think it's unique/interesting enough to warrant asking permission for a thread, but I like playing competitively, and wanted to start uploading videos of some good matches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69DnKFbT9vc.

Also speaking of Pokémon and my friends and Youtube, one of my friends let popular Youtube get to his head, and he uttered some complete and utter nonsense in a horrible voice at the beginning of a video he made. He's one of my best friends, but I couldn't get past the first five seconds due to how bad it was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMf9Lj0bp-M

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shame, you missed the additional ten seconds of brain-damaged grunting.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I guess people watching DSPs streams and making fun of him while showcasing how terrible he is has become a thing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This serves as a reminder that regardless of how much of a jerk DSP, the worst of the fighting game community will always be so much worse.

And he even tells DSP to go kill himself at the end. A stand-up citizen if I've ever seen one.
e:

quote:

"Why did you stoop so low as to tell him to kill himself?"
A. Because he's a piece of poo poo human being, who slanders games, companies, and designers, tells people to die in a fire, hopes their children get killed in a car wreck, and their sisters get raped. He tells people they're fat, pathetic, overweight, virgin, basement dwelling losers. If he killed himself, I wouldn't give a gently caress, and you wouldn't either... so quit crying.

What a loving clod.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 23, 2014

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

JordanKai posted:

This serves as a reminder that regardless of how much of a jerk DSP, the worst of the fighting game community will always be so much worse.

And he even tells DSP to go kill himself at the end. A stand-up citizen if I've ever seen one.
e:

What a loving clod.

Jesus, there's riffing on the guy and then there's being a oval office.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
I certainly wouldn't miss if this thread stopped talking about DSP.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMz05ne3nm8 flappy bird

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

There's a point where you should stand back and realize what you're doing with your life, have some semblance of pride, and just stop.

This dude's well past that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Goddamn I thought that dude who put on a Mega Man plush hat in that one Retsupurae was bad. :psyduck:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Today I learned that parrots aren't actual birds.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
At least the DAILY VLOGS guy seemed to at least like games. Granted, he was horrible to watch, but he seems like he somewhat genuinely enjoyed making videos, so at least there's that. This guy is all "my viewers want me to play this, so views" and also "WATCH ME RAGE AT THIS ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH." Oh, and "UberHaxorNova" is one of the worst names I've ever seen.

heytallman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 23, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

heytallman posted:

Oh, and "UberHaxorNova" is one of the worst names I've ever seen.

90% sure we retsupuraed him at some point.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

90% sure we retsupuraed him at some point.

nice av/title, where did it come from?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Red Metal posted:

nice av/title, where did it come from?

Beats me. Niggurath had a "Dick Out Hitler" avatar at one point, which admittedly made me laugh. I talked about it on our podcast... maybe 3 weeks ago? So I guess it's a reference to that.

Kajmir
Jan 17, 2012

FailAtMagic posted:

It can't. It's like some kind of variation on Godwin's Law specifically for the discussion of bad LPs.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

FailAtMagic posted:

The issue is, no matter how much we try to move away, he does something else that is stupid and we are right back on him. I'm surprised it has not been discussed, but recently there was a challenge by Event Status, who got pretty upset as a minority fighting game player in their community about racial and sexist remarks that DSP says in his videos. Here's the video.

He mentioned some of the racist things he had to put up with and how DSP advertises himself as a pro fighting game player but makes excuses, then says he will take DSP on in King of Fighters 13 whenever DSP wanted and he was willing to bet their involvement in social media on this one match just to show everyone that DSP is no bad because of lag, but he just is bad at games and has a terrible attitude.

Here is basically DSP's response. Notice that his response goes back to the "few" people who made good points, but never mentions what those points are and the only improvement I have noticed was direct capture for him to be able to stream which he may still not consider an improvement. Event Status kind of addressed the troll remarks in his next video, but its more cerebral and social justice talk, he seems like a smart guy.

It is just so hard to stop talking about someone who regularly does such stupid things in a discussion about LPs outside of this site. If he goes a few days without doing dumb poo poo or saying stupid poo poo, we would be able to drop the topic of DSP.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Brassherald posted:

It is just so hard to stop talking about someone who regularly does such stupid things in a discussion about LPs outside of this site.

On the contrary, not posting about something is incredibly easy. You just don't hit the post button.

On second thought, please go back to discussing DSP immediately because his particular brand of rear end-hattery is so much more bearable than this failure.

At any rate, in the interest of having this post be something other than complaining about things I don't like and being the change I want to see in this thread. I tracked down an LP made about a year ago that I loved watching at the time to share.

Toy Story for Sega Genesis by pokollos

One of the only two LP's the guy ever completed sadly and it's a pretty brief watch but he's really informative, conveys a great passion for the game and as a bonus he's pretty funny. So hey, enjoy!

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
On the subject of not-DSP, I've been watching a lot of Phil Kollar's LPs/streams lately. He and some other cool people stream games a couple nights a week at http://twitch.tv/kefkataran, and then put 'em up on youtube later. They're pretty funny people, and I'd recommend their Game Dev Tycoon LP if anyone wants a sorta chill, laid back video for background noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwGOpzuVf0&hd=1

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FailAtMagic posted:

Sure thing. We could talk about PewDiePie, Markiplier, Toby Games, Game Champs, Ghetto Gaming, Shane, Smosh,

Or even this.

Pick your poison, FailAtMagic. I dare you.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

What, why. How does he have 2 million subscribers. :psyduck:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
make sure to watch in 720p

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Jamesman posted:

Sure thing. We could talk about PewDiePie, Markiplier, Toby Games, Game Champs, Ghetto Gaming, Shane, Smosh,

I have heard of most of those, but "Ghetto Gaming" I had never heard of, and I found myself curious. The channel is more than just gaming, and the gaming playlist contains your typical YouTube LP games: Slender, Happy Wheels, Cleverbot, QWOP, etc. However, I saw one that caught my eye: Smash Bros. Out of sheer morbid curiosity, I clicked it, mostly to see which one was being played. Somehow it was Project M, a hack of Brawl to make it to be more similar to Melee, with certain characters like Mewtwo and Roy added back in. Obviously the dude she was playing with had some knowledge of Wii hacking and whatnot, at least enough to get Project M to work. Impressive.

Oh wait, except the video is absolute trash and nigh unwatchable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_r1hSu2SQQ Highlight of the video: she calls Samus a "butch-rear end lesbian" because of the armor she wears.

e: ok, I hadn't finished the video. If you manage to make it to the end of the third match, and are wearing headphones, take them off as she dies. She screams "FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK" DIRECTLY into her condenser mic. It hurts.

heytallman fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 24, 2014

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

This is it. This is the worst gimmick. I actually feel confused and mentally enervated, trying to register what I just watched. I will continue to believe this is the worst until another lovely video is posted.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I got about twenty seconds into that and I couldn't take it any more. It was like she was daring me to hate her. "Go on. Put up with a whole ten minutes of this. I bet you can't even make it three. Go on. Let's see what you're made of."

Well I am such a sissyweiner I didn't even last one. So there.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Flappy bird is an awful, generic game and lps of it are stupid. A couple of the yogscasters did videos for it and even they were terrible, and I generally love all of their videos.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Attestant posted:

What, why. How does he have 2 million subscribers. :psyduck:

From what I remember he was/still is apart of a group of machinima makers that, back in the day, made some pretty alright Minecraft machinimas. They also did a TON of Minecraft custom maps LPs, and eventually they started doing blind LPs of other games on their mega-channel and their own individual channels. So basically it's all because of Minecraft.

Fun Fact: While Ubernova hasn't been retsupuraed, two others in his group have been.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 24, 2014

DWK
Sep 18, 2009
A few weeks ago, my brother introduced me to Dan Bull a Youtube musician and gamer.
I haven't seen anyone else mention him in the thread and this video seems quite apt at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhS_1KmCvmo

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Combat Lobster posted:

From what I remember he was/still is apart of a group of machinima makers that, back in the day, made some pretty alright Minecraft machinimas. They also did a TON of Minecraft custom maps LPs, and eventually they started doing blind LPs of other games on their mega-channel and their own individual channels. So basically it's all because of Minecraft.

Fun Fact: While Ubernova hasn't been retsupuraed, two others in his group have been.

Two others? I know they did ssohpkc or whatever, but I can't think of who else it was.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

Two others? I know they did ssohpkc or whatever, but I can't think of who else it was.

They also did ImmortalHD, the guy who did that Asura's Wrath video.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 24, 2014

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
I've been looking up Dark Souls LPs on YouTube, particularly blind ones. There's something about blind Dark Souls LPs that attract people, and I was really curious as to why others watch them.

I watch them because, as a veteran of the game, I want to see how someone overcomes the struggle! I end up seeing people solve problems in ways that I never even considered, and it ends up being a lot of fun.

Then I see the YouTube comments for said blind LPs...and I'm not entirely sure what everyone else wants out of them.

Take this for example. Ignore the fact that there's no editing done, and half the video is him doing upgrades that no one wants to watch, and instead focus on the comments. People who have clearly played through the game have no qualms spoiling things that are coming up ahead, and throwing their own opinions as to how he should play the game, instead of letting him do it on his own.

It's not so blind anymore, if the LPer sees all these comments, and no longer has any surprises waiting for them. They're pointed to all the best weapons, armor, and spells, and being told how to solve every problem. The LPer isn't even playing the game anymore: The people leaving comments are. Streaming it is even worse, if you consider doing it blind.

It's just something that really confuses me. I have no idea what people want out of these blind LPs.

:words:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

RSCNyx posted:

It's just something that really confuses me. I have no idea what people want out of these blind LPs.

You know how Dangan Ronpa fandom turned me off to Dangan Ronpa (because I had to moderate it?)

If I had to moderate a blind Dark Souls LP comments section, I would hate that game. It's amazing to me how people who claim to love how difficult it is, and how there's no hand-holding insist on spoiling the difficulty and holding your hand. It's backseat gaming to the millionth degree. I don't remember seeing anything like it.

And God loving forbid you play the game differently than they did or you are playing Dark Souls wrong! Somebody made a GIF of one of my videos: a rather funny (I thought) death.

It got on /r/gaming, and the comments are incredible. It's clearly a bit of a bug. An enemy hits me from outside the arena, I get stunned and the boss kills me. No big deal, funny haha sort of thing, happens once in awhile in almost any game, but funny given the game's reputation for difficulty.

But some people see this as a possible attack on Dark Souls, the best designed video game in the wholllllllleeee world - the game's flawless*, I just made a mistake going in with little health, or aggro'ing the guy outside, or not facing the camera forward (which by the by, wouldn't have helped.) They climb over each other to excuse the game for something that really didn't need any excusing.

It's just a stupid little video, yeesh!

* Except Bed of Chaos, even hardcore fans concede that one.

edit: ...Yeah, I guess I should do something about that avatar if I'm going to post at work.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's fine to tell people new to the game about basic mechanics like roll speeds and annoying stuff that doesn't go anywhere like Resistance. You know, just some general advice that helps the game go a bit smoother without invalidating the challenges. Dark Souls is hard but it's a different sort of hard from like Kaizo or I Want To Be The Guy. Watching someone slam their head against a wall a hundred times doesn't really do it for me. Dark Souls allows for a lot of versatility in equipment and playstyles, so, speaking for me personally, it's cool to watch someone slowly adapt to encounters and even better when they try out something new to adjust to the situation. By the end of my first playthrough I dipped into strength, dex, faith, intelligence, and even resistance and had a whole lot of fun swapping gear and spells for areas and bosses, so I suppose the point of watching these blind runs to me is to vicariously rediscover the thought processes I had on how to overcome the challenges again, rather than to relive the failures or laugh at an idiot. To that end, I think it's justified to nudge the player around a little like, "You've got that Zweihander lying in your backpack" or "It's been a while since you upgraded the Pyro Hand..." Not directly saying what's exactly useful, but reminding them that they have options that go beyond hit thing for more numbers. I don't really think it's too bad unless it's like "Make sure you avoid the bosses lava pools and block the AoE if you can" before the player even goes into the fight.

I think people are overzealous in giving tips because some people who have beaten the game ten times are still learning new things about it, and they want to share something they figured out or something that's personal to their own run. People all want something different out of these blind runs even if they counter people who just want to see some guy gently caress up a dozen times at a hard part.

How bad were people guiding you, Slowbeef? Were you getting E-mails at midnight that were like "Hey man, I've got this 100% guaranteed pro strat to get Seathe's tail!" while you were in the Burg, or what?

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

slowbeef posted:

It's backseat gaming to the millionth degree. I don't remember seeing anything like it.

Yeah, that's why I don't get it. Why do people watch them, if it's not to see it from a new player's perspective? Instead, it serves as a platform for viewers to showcase their pro MLG GiantDad skills.

I once thought it was because people wanted to get involved with the LP, but then people do it anyway, even if the LPer doesn't acknowledge them.

There's a lot of obscure stuff hidden in the game, and being pointed to those things is fine, since you'll probably not find them anyway. Doesn't mean it needs to suddenly turn into a flawless, 100% Item Collection run.

That GIF is pretty hilarious, though. That should be the video on the Steam Store page.

(Speaking of Steam: When you're saying, "I can't wait for this to end", I can't help but wonder why you LP'd in the first place. )

Iserlohn: I completely agree! A nudge suggesting a possible solution to a problem is perfectly fine, if someone's struggling. No one wants to see someone die 1,000 times in the Undead Burg (Which is why I think Dark Souls LPs should be edited rather heavily, if that ends up being the case), and as long as it's not blatantly spoiling something, no worries! It's still up to the LPer to figure out how to best use it.

There's a fine difference between, "Hey, you picked up a few new rings in your inventory. Maybe you'll find one that suits your playing style better?" and, "HEY SLOWBEEF KILL LAUTREC HE DROPS THE BEST RING IN THE GAME FOP RING WOW SLOWBEEF PUT IT ON PLEASE".

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 24, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

slowbeef posted:

edit: ...Yeah, I guess I should do something about that avatar if I'm going to post at work.

You mean make it bigger, right?

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

Isn't that Rambo game pretty new? I imagine that there are bunches and bunches of people who play games on day 1 to get the mad views and get youtube famous off a new game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

slowbeef posted:

But some people see this as a possible attack on Dark Souls, the best designed video game in the wholllllllleeee world - the game's flawless*, I just made a mistake going in with little health, or aggro'ing the guy outside, or not facing the camera forward (which by the by, wouldn't have helped.) They climb over each other to excuse the game for something that really didn't need any excusing.
At least there's only one major build of it. On the Paradox forums every single patch there are waves of defenders of yet another oddity, bug or imbalance, who go out of their way to prove that others just can't play. Then a patch fixes it, and they shut up, until the next major issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Migeman posted:

Isn't that Rambo game pretty new? I imagine that there are bunches and bunches of people who play games on day 1 to get the mad views and get youtube famous off a new game.

Yeah there are. I ended up talking to a guy who YouTubes for a living and he flat out said that he'll rush to get videos done as fast as possible so he's got the earliest content up of a major release. How do you even have fun with a game at that point?

• Locked thread