Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If non-soccer and "other" costs have gone up it's likely a behind the scenes increase in overhead due to your promotion. Your staff likely have actual offices now instead of whatever barn you had them holed up in previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

If non-soccer and "other" costs have gone up it's likely a behind the scenes increase in overhead due to your promotion. Your staff likely have actual offices now instead of whatever barn you had them holed up in previously.

That unheated garage next to the bowling alley was good enough for our forefathers and it should be good enough for us. :argh:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah! If you're cold just go find a sheep to throw over your shoulders!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah! If you're cold just go find a sheep to throw over your shoulders!

It's the Welsh way.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

What the hell is going on here? I have a spreadsheet with all of our players salary on it. We're spending under £24,000 a week on our first team players, another £900 a week on our U21 team, and just over £2000 on our youth squad. The game says we're using £31,000 a week, £4,000 more than my spreadsheet says but I assume that includes pro-rated bonuses and payroll taxes. This is less than our salaries in most of our previous seasons. So how have we already racked up a £600,000 wages bill in four months? We should have spent £100,000 less.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Our scouting costs already exceed last seasons despite not changing anything about our scouting assignments. Tax expenditures are on pace to be twice as high. Other costs are on pace to be £675,000 higher than last season. Youth costs are projected to be £450,000 higher. The only change in that program is increasing youth coaching. For that amount we could have hired something like 20 youth coaches. I think this game is chiseling me. The fan trust should launch an investigation into this.

:siren:ABORT ABORT THEY'RE ONTO US ENACT PLAN GET THE gently caress OUT OF DODGE:siren:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I blame the rest of you. My embezzlement has been expected and accounted for in the Yearly Projections, your embezzlement is out of control and ridiculous! :colbert:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think McGavin's right, though. I bet some of the higher costs are the costs of moving up a league. I just wish the game would break that out for me, I'd love for this game to get even more granular in detail on the accounting side. Have I mentioned I'm a nerd?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Look, I only skimmed a little off the top alright?!

I needed that new swimming pool!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I am loving that table.

"Look at you, Tackleford. A pathetic team of has-beens and journeymen. Panting and sweating as you languish in 10th place. How can you challenge a perfect footballing machine?"

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Wow, an embezzlement crisis. This really is the most realistic football management game on the market.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I know that it's super-early in the season, but I'm still pretty shocked that we're doing this well in our first year of League One play. This time two seasons ago it was touch and go as to whether or not we were going to get kicked out of League Two and end up back brawling with pub teams and losers in Skrill.

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master
What the hell, Sky Shadowing? Are you trying to make my prediction reality?! :(

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sunning posted:

Wow, an embezzlement crisis. This really is the most realistic football management game on the market.
It would be amazing if the board embezzling money and ultimately being forced to resign when caught was simulated in the game.

It's not though.

.... Right?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Points compared with Tackleford by the end of the season: +10 points
Goals compared with Tackleford by the end of the season: + 7 goals
Embezzling money while still putting one over your arch rivals: Priceless

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

JT Jag posted:

It would be amazing if the board embezzling money and ultimately being forced to resign when caught was simulated in the game.

It's not though.

.... Right?

I would be so, so happy if embezzling is in the game. If we had changed presidents I would have speculated that their hidden business stat was worse and thus the team was less efficient, but Sky Shadowing was in charge both years.

Contest is now closed. Anything prior to this post is in. :)

Golden Lumber
May 30, 2013
Just a question about the in game editor, does it allow you to change the level of youth intake for a country?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
This LP is amazing. Was cracking up at the Eurodisney vacation.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Golden Lumber posted:

Just a question about the in game editor, does it allow you to change the level of youth intake for a country?

Yep!

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
This is what happens when alot of people "take a little for themselves". It adds up!

Then again, I am wondering still if Ed Phillips had a hand in this...:tinfoil:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
habeasdorkus, can you tell me how is the mexican national team, please?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

El Tri are in very good shape. They qualified for the World Cup atop the hex with 21 points, losing only once. They were seeded in the World Cup draw and they're very likely to advance from their group (which contains Australia, Colombia, and Norway). At the Confederation's Cup they finished third, beating Uruguay after losing to England in the semis. The Gold Cup was at the same time as the Confederation's Cup, so their weakened squad didn't do well there, but they'd previously won the last three in a row.

AU Hector Moreno is their best player. He's become one of the best centerbacks in the world, and is a rock in the center of Man City's defense. AU Diego Reyes is also amazing, he's got a 7.43 rating in Ligue 1 for Monaco and earned a £30.5m transfer fee for Porto. AU Carlos Fierro has come a long way from being a youngster at Chivas, he's now one of the best strikers in Ligue 1 and the first choice there for Mexico.

I wish the US national team was half as good as the Mexican one in this game, we never seem to develop players who could be even as good as Bradley or Donovan. Stupid SI bias.

KDavisJr posted:

Then again, I am wondering still if Ed Phillips had a hand in this...:tinfoil:

Ed Phillips has his own problems to deal with. He's got so many unhappy players due to their underperformance. His job status is still "stable" but not that far above insecure.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Good to hear, so they'll play against Mujkic.

Can't wait to see IRL the 2011 and 2013 U-17 players, start playing more.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

Ed Phillips has his own problems to deal with. He's got so many unhappy players due to their underperformance. His job status is still "stable" but not that far above insecure.

Keep making him eat poo poo in the press. I want to see that rat gently caress dancing for nickles in the street with a tin cup in his hand.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What we need is a cross of Football Manager and Crusader Kings 2.

Embezzle funds from your club to assassinate other club's players, plot to have strong rival coaches sacked, kidnap talented footballers, forge claims on the land Tackleford's stadium is standing on and demand that they demolish it, etc. The possibilities are endless.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Fifth: Wherein I get frustrated with international call-ups.
November 10, 2017-December 5, 2017

What do I see when I open my inbox on Armstice Day?

We've got a match at first place Bournemouth during this international match period. I cannot wait until we're in the Premier League, playing eight fewer league games a year using a schedule planned with players on international duty in mind.

Collier's Park
Staff Conference Room

: Ok, I think that's it for this meeting. The list with player training assignments has been emailed to everyone. That's all.

: (Coming up to the Coach after the meeting) Hey, Coach, have you heard from Mujkic, Coulson, and Shirra?

: I got an email a couple days ago that they're still where I sent them for vacation, yeah. Why?

: Oh, you sent them on vacation together. That makes some sense. Did you send them anywhere nice? Blackpool is wretched this time of year.

: Nah, I sent them to Eurodisney.

: (Aghast) What?!

: Yeah, I'd been thinking about how much I loved Disney World when my grandparents took me as a little kid, and Shirra's only 17 so I didn't want them going someplace where the other two could get him into too much trouble, so-

: Don't you know about Eurodisney?

: That they changed the name to Disneyland Paris? Yeah, seems kind of silly to-

: That place is a death trap!

Meanwhile, at Eurodisney:

(Night, three shapes run across the main square of Eurodisney Disneyland Paris into the shadows of a building)

: Have we lost them?

: (breathing heavily) They can't get away with this, all those brainwashed employees!

: (Peering out into the gloom) Oh, no! Look!

: He can't! He wouldn't!

(The Donald Duck proceeds to crush the ducklings beneath it's webbed feet, cackling in it's distinctive voice)

: What monsters they are in the dark.

(A shadow looms behind them)

: Come along, children, don't you want to visit Ariel's cave of wonders? UNDER THE SEA?!

(Coulson, Mujkic, and Shirra scream)

vs. Accrington Stanley, November 11, 2017
FA Cup, First Round

As I said when we drew Accrington, it's not a tough draw but I would have much preferred we end up with a home game against some complete patsy. Accrington could upset us, and that would be very bad for my desire to make lots of money. We need to make sure we don't overlook Accrington.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Attack
Starting 11: Higgs, Peters, Todd, Curran, Smissen, Harper, Holland, Bailey, Rainey, Gorman, Harrison (c).
Subs: Taylor, Thomas, Tench, Poole, Holt, Price, Read.

We are entirely superior statistically for the first half. That doesn't change the fact that it's still a scoreless game. I scream at the players in a manner that would make the department of social services take my children away, and it seems to startle them into better play. Harrison is our goalscorer, tapping in a ball after a first chance by Smissen was just stopped by the keeper and the rebound hammered against the crossbar by Gorman. We can't stop Accrington from leveling the score, and we're going to have to play them again if we're to advance. It was a lazy performance, and I'm infuriated. My rage redounds across the Wrexham offices when my PA informs me that the replay is scheduled for the same period of time that a full quarter of our team are on international duty.

Wrexham 1-1 Accrington

They can rest assured that I'm angry too. But it's not like we're out of the competition.

Again, not the worst possible draw, but still more of a pain in the tuchas than we need.

No, money is not going to make me less angry about having to play another game against a team we should have trounced.

(Coulson, Mujkic, and Shirra are shackled against the wall in the secret Cinderella Castle dungeon. Horrific screams, some of them emanating from mouths that could in no way be human are heard in the background)

: What's your problem, mate?!

: You will wait for the Master.

: What master? What are you talking about, you creepy rodent?

: You will wait for the Master.

(A voice is heard in the darkness, sounding as if it's coming through a speaker)

: I'm here, my loyal little mouse. You may go.

(Walt Disney's severed head in a jar clambers into view atop an eight legged mechanical monstrosity)

: Yesss, Master.

: What.

(The mouse... thing leaves, closing the door behind it)

: You've uncovered too much of our secret, and we can't have anything bad about Disney being said. I'm afraid you'll have to be our guest.

(a large needle springs out from the base of Disney's walker)

: And put our service to the test.

: Oh no, do anything you like, but don't ruin the Gaston song for me! I sing it in the shower to psych myself up for the day!

: Is that so? Well then you should make an excellent... employee.

: (Almost to himself) So that's how they got Johnny Depp to keep making those terrible Pirates of the Caribbean sequels.

(Suddenly, there's a commotion outside the cell door, Disney turns and steps back towards it)

: What in the blazes?

(The door flies open, knocking the jar off of Disney's ambulatory contraption. His head rolls out of the jar and across the floor, while Justin Bailey, Stuart Simpson, and the Coach pile into the chamber)

: Bailey, Simpson, help me get them out of there.

: I never thought I'd be so happy to see my boss.

(The three are freed in short order)

: OK, let's get out of here and back to Wales. I always knew there was something off about Disney. I had just thought it was that they were really horrible on intellectual property rights.

: (gesturing to Disney) What about him?

: You'll pay for this, whoever you are! No one spites Disney! No one!

: Leave him, we have to get out of here before Jafar realizes that Bailey pickpocketed his keys.

(They rush out, and away to safety)

: Err. A little help? Anyone?

Well, now we've just pissed off a giant international conglomerate secretly led by a head in a jar who has mutant versions of his beloved creations at his beck and call. I don't see how this could possibly cause an trouble in the future. Glad our games aren't carried on ESPN, though, we'd never get picked for broadcast.

vs. Rotherham, November 14, 2017
Johnston's Paint Trophy, North Quarterfinals

Back to more important things! Hiding Rotherham would be a good way to set about repressing those memories. Plus, we're now at full strength again. Also, spotted in the Rotherham lineup? Shaun Spilsbury! Let's hope he's as ineffective for them as he was for us.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Attack.
Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Poole, Lewis, Thomas (c), Harper, Holland, Bailey, Price, Mujkic, Read.
Subs: Smissen, Curran, Shirra, Gorman, Harrison.

Swansea's coach is in the stands, wanting a look at Adrian Read. Back off, Swans, we're the biggest club in Wales, you can't have our young stars. He shouldn't be that impressed by Read, who like the rest of our team continues loafing as if I haven't been screaming at them for the last three matches. Rotherham plays us dead even in the first half, and it's anyone's game. I continue to punish my larynx, and I see a slight improvement in the second where we create more chances than Rotherham and put ourselves ahead on a Tony Price goal. Rotherham has a perfect opportunity to tie the game in stoppage time, but their midfielder misses what really should have been a goal. We escape with a win, and I remind the players that we could easily have lost to a team we crushed by five goals just two weeks earlier.

Man of the Match: Gary Tench

Wrexham 1-0 Rotherham

The election is much earlier this year, for reasons that are opaque to me. If you want to run for president, tell me the most embarrassing thing you've ever seen happen to someone playing sports. My four favorite will get assigned to one of these dudes.

Glee! Christmas come early!

He's back just in time. Harper's been cromulent, but he's not our Captain.

At Bournemouth November 18, 2017
League One

We're not offered the option to delay the game. This is the FA getting back at us for pointing out the terrible penalty calls in the Sunderland game, isn't it? Bournemouth isn't quite on the breakneck pace they were earlier in the season, they've gotten two points out of their last three games, but we're missing a quarter of the team. We're so hard up for players that Gavin Baker emerges from the reserves to take a seat on the bench.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Defense
Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Lewis, Poole, Smissen, Harper (c), Holland, Bailey, Price, Gorman, Read.
Subs: Taylor, Thomas, Simpson, Holt, Shirra, Coulson, Baker.

After the fourth time a shot from a Bournemouth player beats Higgs and narrowly misses going into the goal I start getting philosophical. Perhaps the best thing that could happen to us is losing a game that we weren't very likely to win anyways, so that the players can be reminded that victory must be earned, rather than expected. Bournemouth finally scores in the second half, and while we play better than we did in the first half we go down to only our second defeat in eleven matches.

Man of the Match: Michael Coulson.

Bournemouth 2-1 Wrexham

We've gone into the bowl five times for cup competitions, and each time we've been drawn at home. And once again we get a relatively easy JPT draw. The game wants us to go back to the finals, I can feel it.

Coulson did his level best to get us a result in the Bournemouth match, but he couldn't do it on his own.

I thought we'd do pretty well in League One, the talent difference with League Two isn't nearly as stark as that between the Skrill Premier and League Two, but we're doing better than I could have possibly hoped.

Fingers crossed, but we've been remarkably lucky in not having major injuries occur to our players when they're on international duty. I once had a great Colombian winger who would get seriously hurt like clockwork every time he was called up to his national team, and it was always just in time for him to miss an important match.

Aww, 3000 fans as a big crowd. How quaint.

At Accrington Stanley, November 21, 2017
FA Cup, First Round Replay

If we lose this, I'm going to make them run the stairs on the stadium until the start of our next match. I will shoot the first player who stops.

Starting 11: Higgs, Thomas, Lewis, Poole, Smissen, Simpson (c), Holland, Shirra, Coulson, Gorman, Read (c).
Subs: Taylor, Tench, Harper, Holt, Bailey, Price, Upson.

I was wrong about a loss to Bournemouth knocking some sense into the team. This match is a carbon copy of the last. We once again can't make anything work in the first half, and are lucky to be at zero-all at the half. I once again rage at the players, who respond by giving up one goal, and then another one, before we finally score one ourselves late in the half. Except this time it knocks us out of the FA Cup, and it's attendant exposure to the British public. Most importantly, it means we're not getting a big pay day. This is one of my most embarrassing defeats as a coach.

You said it, McKayla.

Accrington 2-1 Wrexham

Remember what I said about Read potentially supplanting Harrison? Certainly not going to happen yet.

Mujkic has been pretty awesome. I don't think he'll win the award, but he's certainly deserving of the recognition.

At Millwall, November 25, 2017
League One

Millwall was relegated last season, and had a firesale. After selling off nearly eight million pounds worth of players, they got off to a horrible start before recovering somewhat. So it's perfect timing to face our slumping mess of a club. If we were Arsenal there'd be millions of bits spilled about “WEGNER IN CRISIS” after the last five matches.

They've got two youth players on their right side, and the other right side players are not that impressive. I'm going to try to exploit that.

Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Lewis, Curran, Smissen, Simpson (c), Holland, Bailey, Coulson, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Thomas, Todd, Harper, Shirra, Price, Upson.

We're down one before the game's even started. We proceed to miss easy chances, and then go down two after just twenty minutes. I'm so close to the towering inferno that this football club has become I can feel the flames licking at my skin. We are doomed. We were always doomed.

Then Simpson decides that he's not going down without a fight. He laces an amazing strike from thirty meters out. But so what, we've made the final margin more respectable before, and there's a full hour for them to score again. Then Bailey, Smissen, and Mujkic combine on a beautiful set of one touch play to tie the game. But we've been here before, struggling to do more than the least that's expected of us. Then Harrison gives us the lead after more lovely, flowing play. So maybe we can squeak out a victory after all. Then Coulson adds to his already estimable highlight real with a banana shot that rattles off both the crossbar and post on its passage to the back of the net. I'm pretty sure we're going to win this one! Then Coulson adds another goal after his trailing run leaves him in perfect position to pounce on a rebound from Harrison's shot. It's the best we've played in weeks, and the storm is past. I never doubted it would for a second.

Man of the Match: Michael Coulson

Millwall 2-5 Wrexham

Teams need to use more colors in their kit design. Why not pastels?

vs. Hartlepool November 28, 2017
League One

Hartlepool is on a big time streak right now, having won five straight to shoot up the table. We'll see if the storm really has passed if we can beat them.

Starting 11: Higgs, Peters, Todd, Poole, Smissen, Harper, Simpson (c), Bailey, Price, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Tench, Curran, Holland, Shirra, Gorman, Coulson.

Hartlepool gets off one long ranged shot the entire first half. We get a whole lot of chances, but don't convert on them. There's a full four minutes of stoppage time before the half, and I'm concerned that we're going to let Hartlepool off the hook, but Mujkic finally scores and we can take the lead into halftime. We continue to be profligate with our chances, but it doesn't matter as the unrelenting pressure never lets Hartlepool mount an offensive. It's a good, solid win.

Man of the Match: Mateo Mujkic

Wrexham 1-0 Hartlepool

I suggest offering ponies.

Yes, don't give it to me because I lost one game against the best team in the league where seemingly half my starting eleven was with their national teams. Give it to Bowman for drawing with friggin' Swindon.

The board is disappointed that we crashed out of the FA Cup so early, but that's all forgiven thanks to our League One position.

vs. Oldham Athletic, December 2, 2017
League One

This should be a win. Oldham have won two games all season, and have a goal differential of worse than -1... per game. With more than a week off coming up before the holiday season is upon us, I'm playing our best performing players.

Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Lewis, Poole, Smissen, Harper, Simpson (c), Bailey, Coulson, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Peters, Todd, Holland, Shirra, Rainey, Price.

Tench gets crunched in the fifth moment and has to be stretchered off the field. It's not an auspicious start. We have ten shots by the time they take their third, but that third is the one that counts on the scoreboard. There's an immediate equalizer from the foot of Mujkic, but then we fall behind again with just minutes left before the midpoint. It continues to be a see-saw battle into the second half, with Harrison and Mujkic scoring to give us our first lead of the day, but a harsh tackle batters Bailey and forces him out of the game. When Oldham knots it up at three apiece we can't muster a fourth, and we waste a chance to take easy points.

Man of the Match: Meteor Mujkic

Wrexham 3-3 Oldham

What? Concussions? What sort of namby-pamby sport is this? Rub some dirt on it and go do 100 headers.

More seriously, we're lucky it wasn't a worse injury and that Bailey is none the worse for wear after his clattering. When players go down and can't continue with lots of time left on the clock it usually forebodes a poor prognosis.

Todd has stunk this year, his 6.62 rating is the worst of any of our centerbacks. If Leeds wants to offer me several million pounds for him, I'm willing to listen.

I sometimes forget he's still on the team.

Yeah, it's more likely that I sell you. But if I can't find a buyer I'll certainly loan you out.

He's already gotten into eight games for us this season, he doesn't have much room to complain that much about playing time.

Bradford stomped all over their opponent this past week, hence all the mustard yellow shirts. Can't displace Mujkic from his rightful spot on the team, though.

For all the heartburn over the last month, the results don't actually look that bad. We picked up seven points in four games in league play, and our only loss was at the top team in the league while two of our best players (Harrison and Mujkic) were out. Getting bounced from the FA Cup by a League Two team is a kick in the teeth, but it doesn't matter that much in the big scheme of things. Our next step is going to be stepping up to join Bradford and Sunderland and gaining some separation over the tight pack of teams following us. But even as we stand I think our chances for promotion are bright, something I wouldn't have said when the season started. And if you want to run for president, tell me the most embarrassing thing you've ever seen happen to someone playing sports. The four that I like best will get assigned to the candidates. Voting open until the next update is posted.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 25, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Honestly, when it comes to "most embarrassing thing I've seen when it comes to somebody playing sports", I can't help but point towards the Denver Broncos' performance in the Super Bowl. Kind of an unimaginative choice, but it's the most notable thing that comes to mind, beyond maybe me playing goalie in PE and getting nailed in the face, stomach and nuts all in the same five-minute game.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Seeing a roller derby player take a shoulder to the abdomen, fall back on her rear end all akimbo, clearly, unmistakably having pissed her bright pink compression leggings clearly take the cake for me. This experience will doubtlessly prove valuable to my term as president. Can I make a club rule that mandates bathroom visits at halftime?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I watched the Broncos last Super Bowl, does that count? e: curses.

Other stories, had a midfielder who was falling back to get to the play get rocked in the face when the fullback went to clear it. He caught it full in the forehead when it was still very much in that lift off phase of a good long boot and had to come out of the game for a concussion check up.

Alternatively, back when I used to play club soccer with a team from the Hispanic neighborhood, we'd communicate in Spanish for that little extra edge. We had a teammate get booked because the (lily-white) ref spoke Spanish as well, and objected to some of the things being said about his mother...

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
How about an old-school ball shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W1Ikm1shQM

The most embarrassing one I ever pulled was in rugby, where I wrenched the ball out of a guy's hands and didn't realise I'd broken some of his metacarpals until I'd placed the try and come back. Rugby is a violent sport.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The most embarrassing thing to ever have happened in sports was the Butt Fumble. It's so bad that it has it's own Wikipedia page:

quote:

In American football, the butt fumble is an infamous play that occurred in a game between the New York Jets and New England Patriots on Thanksgiving, November 22, 2012. In front of a New York home crowd of 79,000 at MetLife Stadium and a primetime television audience of 20 million, Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez collided with the backside of his teammate Brandon Moore and fumbled the ball, which was recovered by the Patriots' Steve Gregory and returned for a touchdown. The play was the centerpiece of a disastrous sequence in the second quarter, as the Jets lost three fumbles and the Patriots scored three touchdowns—one each on offense, defense, and special teams—all in the span of 52 seconds of game time; in that quarter, the Jets held the ball for over 12 minutes (out of 15), but were outscored 35–3. The game and the so-called "butt fumble" in particular are remembered as the low point of the Jets' 2012 season.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Aww, 3000 fans as a big crowd. How quaint.

It is at the Accrington Stanley grounds with their 5000 odd capacity.

Also I love the tagline for their website:

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
The most embarrassing thing I've seen in sport was me when I was about 9 or 10 playing volleyball in PE. I smashed the ball so hard & high at service it bounced back off a beam in the ceiling and booted me right on the head. The perfect candidate to run a football club.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The Most Embarrassing Thing I've Ever Seen In Sports is Tackleford FC.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

Great answer, but you're already running for reelection :)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Somebody went to the Mick Foley School of Cheap Pops, I see.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I was in attendance for the game that this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06LdqVfMBho

Now you might be thinking, "JT Jag, are you saying that the most embarrassing thing you've seen in sports is that the Jaguars defense allowed that to happen to them? Three laterals, and Aaron Brooks of all quarterbacks was responsible for the pass! This wasn't even the Drew Brees Saints!" No! The most embarrassing thing is that the kicker, John Carney, missed the extra point. The Saints lost despite all this.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's go back until I was just a wee lad, way, way back in the summer of 1990. A World Cup in Italy, and an England side with the talented Tottenham Hotspur attacking players Paul 'Gazza' Gascoigne and Gary Lineker managed to produce England's best run in the competition since we won the damned thing back in '66.

In the group stage, there was a politically-charged match as England took on the Republic of Ireland, a full seven years before the Good Friday accords began the process of healing the Troubles occurring in Northern Ireland.

It was during this match that Gary Lineker, winner of the Golden Boot in the previous world cup, one of the leading strikers in the world, shat himself.

If you can come up with a bigger embarrassment than painting the inside of your shorts brown in the middle of a sporting event with the biggest viewing figures in the entirety of human entertainment (The last World Cup had 46.4% of the world's population having seen some of it), I'm not entirely sure I want to know.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The most embarrassing thing I've seen in sport was way back in high school gym class. We were playing kickball co-ed with a volleyball in lieu of the big spongy red kickballs that were all missing/flat. Dude kicks the ball and he loving clobbers it, I mean this kick barely missed the big metal backboard pole hanging from the vaulted ceiling, soared for a good 4-5 seconds and hit a girl in the "outfield" (the other side of the basketball court) with a solid thud square in the face. She went down like a sack of potatoes, sobbing uncontrollably. Female gym teacher rushes to her side...and proceeds to scream at her while she's still crying on the ground for not paying the absolute minimum attention required to not get decked in the face with a volleyball from across a basketball court. This is all in a gym full of her classmates, most of which would see her in at least one other class that day with the remnants of makeup cried out & washed away and a bright red circle planted on her cheekbone (that she had to explain to every concerned teacher, no less).

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

habeasdorkus posted:

I still think my argument still holds water. His players are underachieving, and they are angry. Contrast their biggest rival, us we are doing very well, our guys are pretty happy, and your job security is almost on par with Saban. So he's trying everything he can to slow us down (which obviously wont work).

Torrannor posted:

What we need is a cross of Football Manager and Crusader Kings 2.

Embezzle funds from your club to assassinate other club's players, plot to have strong rival coaches sacked, kidnap talented footballers, forge claims on the land Tackleford's stadium is standing on and demand that they demolish it, etc. The possibilities are endless.

I dunno. That sounds like Blitz the League and I don't think we want that.

Granted, I'm fairly sure that will work flawlessly.

BTW, I think Mujkic, Coulson, and Shirra are going to be so traumatized it might affect their on field performance.

As for embarrassing sporting moment, I'd go with The infamous Butt Fumble from Sanchez, but since Zeroisanumber already said it (dammit :argh:), I'll go with Marques Colston making the worst lateral attempt I've ever seen. Not only was it a blantant forward pass, it hit the ground. It should have been an incomplete pass!:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
THe most embarassing thing I've ever seen in Sports? The Leafs collapse last year in the playoffs. Game 7 VS Boston. They're up 4-1. In five minutes, Boston ties the game, then scores in Overtime. THis is the best video

• Locked thread