Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

quote:

The bad news: When all 3 of you Die, that’s it for you this session.

I really really really don't think "You don't get to play anymore, go home" is a good game mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I love the playbook so far, I was giggling all the way through reading it. But, yeah, I agree that this:

Elmo Oxygen posted:

With Mob and Special Guest Star, you can impose limits on yourself- like if you can only make it to half a session, or you drop in late or whatever.

isn't a particularly fruitful way to go, even if it's an optional choice. Having an option that defeats the entire purpose of the playbook by selecting it seems a little schizophrenic to me.

P.S. you also need Jenkins as a name choice

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Heart Attacks posted:

I really really really don't think "You don't get to play anymore, go home" is a good game mechanic.

It's more "your character is done, reroll something else just like every other playbook in DW".

I think I'm going to put Mob in the backgrounds. So you'll have 3 options

1 Default (needs a name) - unlimited deaths, one at a time, picking advanced moves with each death
2 Mob (needs a better name) - 3 deaths, all characters active at once, surviving characters get advanced moves with each death
3 Special Guest Star - 1 death only, but starts with normal HP and more moves

SGS is for the player who knows he wants an awesome death scene this session, but also wants a character with enough continuity to really sink their teeth into roleplaying, rather than having to start from scratch every other scene or so.

Also gonna bump Kamikaze up to 2d12, so it's almost guaranteed to kill you and take a chunk off your enemy.

Elmo Oxygen fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 20, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I get that you want to support different playstyles, but since most of your moves revolve around you dying and speeding up your death, you get caught in a situation where you want to die but dying takes you out of the game, so why would you die? I'd leave the "you can always come back" mechanic as a core feature of the class rather than an option, it seems too integral to the playstyle.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
You're probably right. Maybe Angry Mob and Special Guest Star can be compendium classes later on after I've got the core red shirt polished and playable.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
It does make a good deal of sense to always be able to get a member or two into the fight. Star Trek seems to have an infinite supply of redshirts around, and there's always more goblins if you're playing a monstrous race for this playbook. It might wind up being that just taking this playbook shapes the gameworld in a significant way just by existing in the game, but that's also true of completed stuff like the Captain or Sky Dancer.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm running my second sessions of Dungeon World in about an hour and I just finished by "prep" : find a pen.

I love how easy this game is to run. It's seriously liberating.

Umm, this doesn't have a lot of content since I'm just gushing, so, uh : I've bought a bunch of the recommended playbooks from DriveThruRPG ; the alternative playbooks (e.g. Mage et al), the Witch, the Spellslinger, the Medic, the Dashing Hero and the Fae(s). Plus I have the Barbarian and the Princess (because dawwwww). Any further must haves?

Also, I'm a little worried about the Princess fitting in tonally. I mean, I love the hell out of it, I'm just curious how it'll shake out next to something as gritty as the Fighter. But maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I was in a game where the Princess's helpers were an insect colony that lived in her skin. Gritty is relative.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Maybe gritty wasn't exactly what he meant, but yeah the Fighter is pretty blah next to some of all the other classes. About the only built-in worldbuilding move it has is its signature weapon. I guess it really depends on what kind of game you're running though. If you're mostly going dungeon delving the core classes are great, but if you're going to be doing intrigue or major world exploration most of them don't really give you any tools to help you out.

In the current game we just started this week, the only core playbooks on the available list were the Druid, Bard, and Ranger (and most of those simply because they just aren't really replicated anywhere else). We ended up with an Artificer (me), Gallant, Princess, Collector, and Golem. It should be an interesting campaign.

To answer the question though, in addition to what you've already got I really like:

-Collector, Survivor, Golem, and Captain from Inverse World
-Winter Mage (the other two are pretty cool too, but they're not really my thing)
-Gallant is shaping up to be a cool Paladin replacement

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
The biggest reason I can give to including the (improved) fighter is Signature Weapon. You can do an incredible amount with your signature weapon, and no other class properly hits that niche without a lot of extra stuff piled on to it, like the Rainlord.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Xiahou Dun posted:

[...] Any further must haves? [...]

There's a Races as Classes bundle which I plan to buy. I don't know about The Halfling or The Dwarf, but The Elf is my current favorite.

Grim World is very cool, too. I just started playing The Skirmisher in one game. It's basically a fighter subclass. I always envision the movie 300 when I play him. There's also the Shaman, which is a very creatively made spellcaster. There are other good ones in there, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hey Gnome

I'm reading through Inverse World, and just spotting a few typos/weird things: http://pastebin.com/FJ7YJRTw

I'll do the rest when I have more time.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 23, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Lemon. It's a final draft. It's done. Any corrections you offer are not going to be made, the book has been sent to the printers.

And the only one of those that even matters is my failures to fully de-gender Sola, that's a genuine goof. The rest of those aren't even problems, they're nitpicking. ( I guess forgetting the apostrophe is a thing, but "and don't even care" is 100% intentional and has been in every draft of the move, dude ).

I don't mean to be rude but you have no idea how done looking at this book I am. Also fixing any minor thing would mean reformatting the entire PDF (my PDF bookmarking and imaging program is separate from my text program), and it would then mean re-emailing 900+ people. So.

Stop. Just stop.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gnome7 posted:

I don't mean to be rude

You're really poo poo at not being rude. Here is how you could have said the same thing without coming across as an rear end in a top hat: "Thanks, but unfortunately I can't make any more changes since it's gone to the printers."

(PS: congratulations on getting lessons on how not to come across as an rear end in a top hat from me. That is an impressive feat.)

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
It's been a while, but I took another crack at the Berserk. Not only did I heavily revise it, I went ahead and put it into PDF format too, with thanks to zarathud for the OpenOffice character sheet template. The new link is here. Feedback would of course be much appreciated. Also, if anybody with more artistic talent than I feels inclined to make a class icon for the Berserk, I'd happily add it to the sheet.

Also, gnome, if you want to update the link in the second post to point to the new character sheet, that'd be great.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 23, 2014

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Ogre Revised

Alright, I made a few changes to the language, bolded some things, combined some of the less cool moves to make them cooler and add room for a few more active moves. I'd love some more feedback and constructive criticism. I'm thinking of making a full set of monsters, one for each primary stat, and then bundling them. Here are my thoughts:

STR - Ogre
Con - Horde (race options are Animal, Insect, or Small Monster)
Dex - ???
Int - Brain Worm
Wis - Djinn
Cha - Pixie

But if someone thinks another monster is cooler or that something has already been done before I'm open to any input.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Either the inspiration is seriously flowing today or I'm really bored. Ladies and gentlemen, on top of the Berserk, I give you The Marshall. An homage to the olden days of marching into a dungeon with a goddamn army, the Marshall commands a Company of grizzled veterans who would follow her to hell and back. She has a little bit of Warlord-style party support, but mostly she's about overwhelming enemies with sheer numbers. Mechanically, she owes a lot to Apocalypse World's gang rules, and credit to Inverse World's vehicle stress rules for giving me a framework for abstracting out the Company's damage. Also, credit where it's due, the idea of starting with a memento of your time in the war was cribbed from Kai Tave's Warlord class. Feedback and suggestions are much appreciated.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Ogre Revised

Alright, I made a few changes to the language, bolded some things, combined some of the less cool moves to make them cooler and add room for a few more active moves. I'd love some more feedback and constructive criticism.

On Break, I'd probably put "you don't draw attention" as one of the options rather than saying you draw attention on a 7-9. The miss result seems hinky too--the GM makes a move on a miss anyways, so "you break it but the GM makes a move" is kind of redundant. I'd suggest "on a miss, you still break it, but you also break something you didn't intend to" or something more specific.

Eat Meat fast is cool, but I'm not sure what it actually does aside from maybe triggering make my bread. I'd maybe think about combining those two moves.

You could probably do more world-building with Big & Tough. Maybe pick a couple of advantages and a drawback or a condition?

I love that you start with a large, dead animal.

I really like all the advance moves, they're really great flavor and look like tons of fun. I can't wait to try it!

quote:

I'm thinking of making a full set of monsters, one for each primary stat, and then bundling them. Here are my thoughts:

STR - Ogre
Con - Horde (race options are Animal, Insect, or Small Monster)
Dex - ???
Int - Brain Worm
Wis - Djinn
Cha - Pixie

But if someone thinks another monster is cooler or that something has already been done before I'm open to any input.

You know the Dex monster's got to be the choker.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
My players want me to run a Dungeon World oneshot, and I've decided to run with Heart of the Minotaur because people seem to like it a lot. What are some good adventure starting questions people have used to lead into it in the past?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Ogre Mk. 3

Alright, I've incorporated your feedback. I think the Big and Tough move is now more fun and flavorful. Eat Meat Fast is now a total of 3 of the original moves. I changed the name of Baker to Make my Bread. I also changed the wording on Break! and made unwanted attention an option, but I decided to keep "On a 6- you break it, but the GM makes a move." It is absolutely redundant, but I want to make it clear that even though it comes with a 6- effect that doesn't override the normal rules for a 6-, it's just in addition to them. If you can think of less clumsy language for that I'd welcome the input.

Eating under duress will also come up in conjunction with endless appetite. Without the advanced move its mostly for combat healing, but if you boost it you can eat whatever you like! Of course that's still not all that useful because you already have Break! A CON based Ogre might prefer eating to breaking though.

The Choker huh? Somewhere I have been deprived in my monster education because I've never heard of it. I'll look it up, but I'd also like to ask the thread: what does The Choker mean to you?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am really liking the look of the Ogre. Also I am looking forward to the Horde. I don't really feel like any of the DW playbooks have actually dealt with being a horde or swarm. The closest I have seen is the ones with an individual leading a little army or summoning goblins.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
When I think of dex-based monsters, the first thing that came to mind was a displacer beast.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Ethereal Filcher. The :smug:est monster

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Regarding the move Holy Fury, what's the Divine Guidance cleric move being referred to? I didn't see that one when I looked, though I could just be tired.

The "Death" drive seems kinda disproportionately risky compared to the other two, but maybe that's the point.

Other than that, I think it looks really cool. A friend of mine will probably want to give it a look when his metamorph hits lvl 10.

Sade posted:

displacer beast.

Regardless of what stat it represents, displacer beasts are cool and you'd be cool for making a playbook for them, Prokosch.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

GimpInBlack posted:

It's been a while, but I took another crack at the Berserk. Not only did I heavily revise it, I went ahead and put it into PDF format too, with thanks to zarathud for the OpenOffice character sheet template. The new link is here. Feedback would of course be much appreciated. Also, if anybody with more artistic talent than I feels inclined to make a class icon for the Berserk, I'd happily add it to the sheet.

Also, gnome, if you want to update the link in the second post to point to the new character sheet, that'd be great.

Question: From the wording of blood eagle and makes you stronger, it looks like a Berserk with those two moves at 0 hp deals maximum damage to everyone within range with a single attack. Working as intended?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

Regarding the move Holy Fury, what's the Divine Guidance cleric move being referred to? I didn't see that one when I looked, though I could just be tired.

Phone posting, bug it's the starting move that lets a cleric petition their god for insight. It's quite possible I hosed up the name.

quote:

The "Death" drive seems kinda disproportionately risky compared to the other two, but maybe that's the point.

That was indeed the point, but you may be right that it's too risky.I'll give it a think.

Rasamune posted:

Question: From the wording of blood eagle and makes you stronger, it looks like a Berserk with those two moves at 0 hp deals maximum damage to everyone within range with a single attack. Working as intended?

Good catch! The intent was that blood eagle's extra damage isn't an attack, so you'd still roll it. That could stand to be clearer though. Maybe makes you stronger should specify hack & slash.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

GimpInBlack posted:

It's quite possible I hosed up the name.

Nah you right, just derped and didn't see it.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Are there any good classes/moves that would give a PC a step up in sneaking around? I have a guy who is using "The Survivor" from Inverse World and after playing a few sessions his dude has developed into a pseudo-batman. Looking at the thief class from Dungeon World, it seems to be more about trap detecting and escape. He wants something that would give him a leg up on hiding in the shadows and bursting out and scaring/punching baddies.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

Nah you right, just derped and didn't see it.

Cool. Thinking about it, though, there's no reason not to just write out the text of the move anyways. It's not like the druid shapeshifting move that eats up huge chunks of page space.

Looselybased posted:

Are there any good classes/moves that would give a PC a step up in sneaking around? I have a guy who is using "The Survivor" from Inverse World and after playing a few sessions his dude has developed into a pseudo-batman. Looking at the thief class from Dungeon World, it seems to be more about trap detecting and escape. He wants something that would give him a leg up on hiding in the shadows and bursting out and scaring/punching baddies.

There's an Assassin class in the first post that might be what you want. Or you could do a custom move. Something like bolster maybe.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 24, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
There's also the City Thief by Lemon Curdistan if you want Garret-style stealth or the Walker from Inverse World if you want to drop on people's heads like Batman.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Looselybased posted:

Hrm, I've been tinkering with a Ninja variant that can be super sneaky for a game I'm in. Granted I'm likely treading old ground, but I looked at a couple of the Assassins and NinjaDebugger's old WIP Ninja a while back and they didn't really fit with the character I had in mind, so I stripped the Ninja down to the Ninjutsu mechanic and started from there.

It's mostly done but still needs peers to sanity-check it and make sure it's not too strong/weak. I'll put what I've got in a google doc later today when I get home.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Looselybased posted:

Check out the Drider.

The basic moves No One Looks Up and Death from Above are very stealth oriented and batman-y.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
For anyone interested in ludicrously over-complicated effortposting about DW chargen, I've just typed up a truly monstrous set of posts over in the chargen thread. Check it out!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

The Berserk is updated to v1.5.

Changelog:
  • Changed the trigger on forward momentum to eliminate clearing rage on a missed hack and slash.
  • Added volley to the list of moves supported by Wolf Lodge to support spear-flinging Berserks.
  • Changed the trigger on makes you stronger so only damage inflicted by a hack and slash or volley attack is maximized.
  • Renamed wisdom in madness to vision quest, renamed holy fury to wisdom in madness.
  • Changed wisdom in madness to a free question from the discern realities list when the GM makes a frenzied berserker move.
  • Tweaked some tags on the starting weapons.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug

GimpInBlack posted:

The Berserk is updated to v1.5.

Changelog:
  • Changed the trigger on forward momentum to eliminate clearing rage on a missed hack and slash.
  • Added volley to the list of moves supported by Wolf Lodge to support spear-flinging Berserks.
  • Changed the trigger on makes you stronger so only damage inflicted by a hack and slash or volley attack is maximized.
  • Renamed wisdom in madness to vision quest, renamed holy fury to wisdom in madness.
  • Changed wisdom in madness to a free question from the discern realities list when the GM makes a frenzied berserker move.
  • Tweaked some tags on the starting weapons.

When I saw the "vision quest" rename, the first thing I thought of was something based off the Cleric's "Apotheosis" advance. Take lots of drugs, have a near-death experience, or go out into the wilds or something, have a vision of your totem animal, and gain a physical feature associated with them. What do you think of something like that?

Also, for the Warp Spasm advance, where specifically are the extra Rage options going on the list? Are they replacing any of the existing Rage options?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Looselybased posted:

I always thought that The Mastermind had moves that could be flavored into a batman-type personally.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Looselybased posted:

Check the City Thief playbook.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

Alumnus Post posted:

When I saw the "vision quest" rename, the first thing I thought of was something based off the Cleric's "Apotheosis" advance. Take lots of drugs, have a near-death experience, or go out into the wilds or something, have a vision of your totem animal, and gain a physical feature associated with them. What do you think of something like that?

I like it. I think maybe I'd make it a compendium class, though.

quote:

Also, for the Warp Spasm advance, where specifically are the extra Rage options going on the list? Are they replacing any of the existing Rage options?

They go onto the end of the list.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I will check out the City Thief, the Drider and The Mastermind. Thanks goons.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Horde

Here's my first crack at the Horde. It seems to take me about 8 hours to make one of these, although that includes a lot of downtime just processing my thoughts and coming up with ideas.

This was a bit more of a challenge. I had to figure out how I wanted to do a character that's really many characters without messing with the action economy, which is pretty much non-existent in Dungeon World. I also had an extra limitation because I wanted to create a CON based creature. I ended up playing around a lot with HP mechanics and a lot of the advanced moves are more strategic and ally focused concept, probably most similar to the Bard.

Again, I'd love any kind of feedback and I really am taking constructive criticism to heart and making changes based on your comments. I'll probably make changes tomorrow after I've slept on stuff and read feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Is Pirate World available to non-backers yet?