Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Not to mention that TAS is more entertaining than a significant portion of all the other "canon" shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Every moment in TAS is a classic I don't know if I could pick:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 24, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ You forgot the inflatable Enterprise.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Not to mention that TAS is more entertaining than a significant portion of all the other "canon" shows

The most batshit insane thing on the normal shows have nothing on TAS. The show is like watching an insane fever dream and its amazing. You are not sure what you just watch, but you know it was amazing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rutibex posted:

Every moment in TAS is a classic I don't know if I could pick:

The inappropriate pinks and purples are because Hal Sutherland was literally colorblind

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The inappropriate pinks and purples are because Hal Sutherland was literally colorblind

IT just makes the show more magical.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Last night I watched an episode where Sisko deliberately dirty-bombed a planet with hundreds of thousands of inhabitants in order to try and lure out one guy he was (self-admittedly) on a personal vendetta against. His crew apparently saw nothing wrong with this and Starfleet allowed him to retain his post as god-emperor commander of Deep Space 9. High-fives all around, roll credits, we got the baddie!

The other funny thing is, as far as I can tell this episode is rated pretty highly around the internet. A quick google turned up a rating of 9/10 and a 3/4. :wtc:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Last night I watched an episode where Sisko deliberately dirty-bombed a planet with hundreds of thousands of inhabitants in order to try and lure out one guy he was (self-admittedly) on a personal vendetta against. His crew apparently saw nothing wrong with this and Starfleet allowed him to retain his post as god-emperor commander of Deep Space 9. High-fives all around, roll credits, we got the baddie!

The other funny thing is, as far as I can tell this episode is rated pretty highly around the internet. A quick google turned up a rating of 9/10 and a 3/4. :wtc:
It's the Kirk law, everyone gets one freebie. That was Sisko's.

I haven't gotten up to that episode yet, but didn't he just threaten to do so? I recall it's come up before. I mean, he also apparently was willing to actually do it, if I remembered.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I had to go out, so I'm a bit late, but we're all Trek bros in the end and love to all and hugs and awwww

I shall go and make dinner and then watch the next ep.. hrm, Meridian .

Jadzia falls in love with a scientist on a planet whose inhabitants shift between this universe and a plane of pure energy, re-emerging every sixty years. Back on DS9, Quark tries to obtain a holo-image of Major Kira for an erotic holosuite program.

oh God. I will back, probably to whinge.. I'm sure of it.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Nessus posted:

I haven't gotten up to that episode yet, but didn't he just threaten to do so? I recall it's come up before. I mean, he also apparently was willing to actually do it, if I remembered.

No he straight up bombs the poo poo out of a planet with biological weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-apnLvSq-gQ

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
I don't even think its a Kirk reads the constitution moment. It's just showing that Sisko can be an rear end in a top hat sometimes, he even does things later on that are reprehensible IMO, but he generally seems like a real guy in a decision making role. He gets caught up in his own feelings too much sometimes and it affects his work, that's why he is the best Captain. Also the Federation has proven it will look the other way if they decide whatever decision was made will solve a problem now, like when they were trying to remake the trail of tears in space.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Tony Montana posted:

I had to go out, so I'm a bit late, but we're all Trek bros in the end and love to all and hugs and awwww

Jadzia falls in love with a scientist on a planet whose inhabitants shift between this universe and a plane of pure energy, re-emerging every sixty years. Back on DS9, Quark tries to obtain a holo-image of Major Kira for an erotic holosuite program.

I want to tell you to just skip it, but A) BIJ and B) the pay off for the b-plot is worth it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Marquis poisoned a planet so that Cardassians couldn't live there but humans did, Sisko then did the same but the other way around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nessus posted:

KIrk got more than just one freebie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Marquis poisoned a planet so that Cardassians couldn't live there but humans did, Sisko then did the same but the other way around.

Still, "reversal of fortune, your punishment shall fit your crime, so welcome to death!" is not exactly Space Utiopia friendly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MrMo posted:

I don't even think its a Kirk reads the constitution moment. It's just showing that Sisko can be an rear end in a top hat sometimes, he even does things later on that are reprehensible IMO, but he generally seems like a real guy in a decision making role. He gets caught up in his own feelings too much sometimes and it affects his work, that's why he is the best Captain. Also the Federation has proven it will look the other way if they decide whatever decision was made will solve a problem now, like when they were trying to remake the trail of tears in space.

I don't think that one was so much "look the other way" as it was "direct order from the Federation Council".

"Remake the Trail of Tears" is also kinda inaccurate and actually embarrassingly trivializes the actual historical event, but whatever, it's Star Trek and Kirk's just a guy who bangs freaky green chicks, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Still, "reversal of fortune, your punishment shall fit your crime, so welcome to death!" is not exactly Space Utiopia friendly.

He is The Sisko. As he says I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover up the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning of all... I think I can live with it... And if I had to do it all over again... I would.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bobkatt013 posted:

KIrk got more than just one freebie.

Yeah but a good 30% of the time the Enterprise is actually being commanded by an duplicate/android/energy being/clone/evil computer/etc instead of Kirk. He always has an out.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What's really weird about that episode is how it plays out. The dude Sisko is after makes reference to Sisko being like Inspector Javert, a man who is obsessed with hunting down a petty criminal far beyond the level of response the man's crime should warrant. Sisko, then, goes "oh, he must think he's Jean Valjean, the hero! Thus, I will be the villain" in a calculating tone, as if he's just going to be boisterous and theatrical again to scare Eddington, but then proceeds to actually commit atrocities against sentient life.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

armoredgorilla posted:

I want to tell you to just skip it, but A) BIJ and B) the pay off for the b-plot is worth it.

I skip nothing

Which means I take long breaks because after a few lovely ones in a row I get Trek Fade and have to reaffirm that life is good and worth living.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What's really weird about that episode is how it plays out. The dude Sisko is after makes reference to Sisko being like Inspector Javert, a man who is obsessed with hunting down a petty criminal far beyond the level of response the man's crime should warrant. Sisko, then, goes "oh, he must think he's Jean Valjean, the hero! Thus, I will be the villain" in a calculating tone, as if he's just going to be boisterous and theatrical again to scare Eddington, but then proceeds to actually commit atrocities against sentient life.

haha you tripper. I need some music for dinner making, did you know Philip Quast is Australian? He was on Play School, a kids show.. who knew he was also one of the greatest baritones ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxk4mveLCw

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 24, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Solomonic Justice is protected under Starfleet regulations. :downsrim:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

No free bread for Jean Valjean!

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

I don't think that one was so much "look the other way" as it was "direct order from the Federation Council".

"Remake the Trail of Tears" is also kinda inaccurate and actually embarrassingly trivializes the actual historical event, but whatever, it's Star Trek and Kirk's just a guy who bangs freaky green chicks, right?

You're right I suppose I should have said the Federation has been looking for some kind of solution to the Maquis/Fed Citizens problems and have made poor decisions in the past so it's not surprising they don't do anything about what happened.

Also yes a terrible example on my part.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I noticed in DS9 Starfleet in general is incredibly cavalier about loss of life on both sides. Like entire starships/outposts are blown up wholesale and no one ever gives a poo poo or ever brings it up.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

If the writers wanted to avoid uncomfortable/trivializing parallels they shouldn't have made them literally Native Americans who still held grudges over colonial Spanish displacement.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
The Federation pretty much didn't care how you got the Maquis. I'm sure the Admirals turned the other way on that one.It's been a long time since I've seen that ep but wasn't the message of the ep the ends don't justify the means in vengeance or something like that?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Calling me a joker, eh Eddington? You must fancy yourself a Batman! Very well then, I'll oblige your childish fantasy by painting myself up like a clown, throwing you into a well full of bats and bombing Canada with Joker gas! Enjoy the twisted smiles on the corpses of what used to be your country of origin. That'll teach you to identify with fiction while you're rebelling against Star Fleet! Well, while I'm grinning, I might as well go find that baseball winning Vulcan and see if I can put his daughter in a wheelchair for the rest of her life."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrMo posted:

You're right I suppose I should have said the Federation has been looking for some kind of solution to the Maquis/Fed Citizens problems and have made poor decisions in the past so it's not surprising they don't do anything about what happened.

Also yes a terrible example on my part.

The Federation has been lovely about it's colonies since at least TNG. I just watched 4x06 "Legacy"; it is very clear the Federation gives no fucks. After the government of the colony Turkana IV collapses and is taken over by gangs the Federation just wipes their hands of it and lets them be. Rape gangs? Oh we can't do anything about that sorry the prime directive you see....whats that they're a Federation colony? Oh the gang leaders totally said they didn't want to be any more so there's nothing we can do!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rutibex posted:

The Federation has been lovely about it's colonies since at least TNG. I just watched 4x06 "Legacy"; it is very clear the Federation gives no fucks. After the government of the colony Turkana IV collapses and is taken over by gangs the Federation just wipes their hands of it and lets them be. Rape gangs? Oh we can't do anything about that sorry the prime directive you see....whats that they're a Federation colony? Oh the gang leaders totally said they didn't want to be any more so there's nothing we can do!

They only give a sort of gently caress if its like Bajor and trying to get it to join. Then they only send a guy with PTSD to watch over it. Its just by chance that he was half prophet and their is a wormhole.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Rutibex posted:

Maybe they don't want to call attention to the fact that noble and evolved 24th century humans descended into raping, warring savages the minute they cut themselves off the Federation.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Thundercracker posted:

I noticed in DS9 Starfleet in general is incredibly cavalier about loss of life on both sides. Like entire starships/outposts are blown up wholesale and no one ever gives a poo poo or ever brings it up.

Well they did want to make it ~dark~

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Politically I suspect it was a little more volatile than we saw since the Cardassians were probably leaning on Starfleet command and making threatening noises over the attack, Sisko's balancing of the scales by poisoning the Maquis world against human life probably tied off an awkward diplomatic incident.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Farecoal posted:

Well they did want to make it ~dark~

Also, sometimes Sisko stares at the namewall and feels sad.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Wait, all this talk of Sisko and genocide -- I thought he didn't straight up murder a whole bunch of people so much as he just did some biological space thing that made it so they would have to leave the planet soon or die. So yes, they could choose to die, but they could also just very easily leave.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr. Jive posted:

If the writers wanted to avoid uncomfortable/trivializing parallels they shouldn't have made them literally Native Americans who still held grudges over colonial Spanish displacement.

I don't give a poo poo about an otherwise crummy episode (that hilariously undermines what might otherwise have been a workable morally ambiguous antagonist in the Maquis), I just don't think MrMo's post was any good.

Rutibex posted:

Self-determination is just an illegitimate fantasy of Western liberals anyway, am I right? :v:

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah he didn't kill the population but he did basically say: "Hey I'm gonna burn down your house, you can stay if you want but I'm totally plaster your walls with napalm."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

I skip nothing

Which means I take long breaks because after a few lovely ones in a row I get Trek Fade and have to reaffirm that life is good and worth living.

If it helps, you get a pretty good episode after that (the source of one of the better GIF's to get thrown out around here). Of course its followed by another not-great one but after that is a pretty good two parter, depending on how you feel about unsubtle-but-still-relevant social commentary.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Tony Montana posted:

A-plot is as dumb as it sounds, the b-plot rules and features the first appearance of a great Star Trek bit player.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sisko's move fits in with Cold War policies. Strategists compared Russian and American cities to find 'equivalents' so if a city on one side was accidentally nuked the other side could have a comparable city destroyed. It was completely ridiculous because once nukes start getting launched I doubt people would go 'hmmm you leveled by Class 2 city so I'll only nuke one of your class 2's'.

But I didn't see much issue with that episode - Eddington already made one planet uninhabitable for Cardassians so Sisko made one planet uninhabitable for humans. The logistical nightmare of swapping refugees is an off screen headache (not that it made much difference since the Dominion killed all the Maquis later)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You'd still think "poisoning an entire planet because of a personal vendetta" might raise some eyebrows at Starfleet. And if not there, then maybe at some of the other worlds that haven't been poisoned by a madman captain yet.

The only other reference I know to trilithium resin was that TNG episode where terrorists wanted to steal it to make a dirty bomb and Picard was willing to risk his life to make sure they didn't get their hands on it. They never actually state that it won't be lethal to Cardassians until the "oh we'll just swap horribly contaminated planets! :downs:" ending, at the time there was no reason to believe covering a planet in starship nuclear waste wouldn't just render the planet uninhabitable for everyone.

I can buy it once, but exactly how many highly toxic substances are there that will kill one species but not another? Or are Cardassians just used to bathing in nuclear space-waste?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

haha holy poo poo.

gently caress, the A plot was poo poo. I know it sounds whingy and I may as well be Bashir, but why him? With all of the Dax experience and how cold she's been in the past, suddenly for this dude who asks her 'how far do the spots go?' she's swept off her feet. He's tall, I guess. Bashir is shorter than her. Goddamn it, it's probably as simple as that :( Sorry, Julian.

• Locked thread