Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Where do you live? LED strip lighting has gotten pretty popular over the last few years so if you can't get it from whatever your local permutation of Amazon is you could probably get it somewhere else, or even direct from China.

I'm in Ontario. I've been checking amazon but a lot of them are either far too much for what I need or too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

korusan posted:

I'm in Ontario. I've been checking amazon but a lot of them are either far too much for what I need or too expensive.

Again, check DX.com. Free shipping to Canada.

http://dx.com/s/led+strip

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Any recommendations for a cheap $150< stereo unit with HDMI. I only need 2 channel, but HDMI preferred since my streaming box has HDMI only

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

Any recommendations for a cheap $150< stereo unit with HDMI. I only need 2 channel, but HDMI preferred since my streaming box has HDMI only

Look into a soundbar. I picked up a nice Vizio one from Costco for $179 and am amazed at how well it sounds. Came with Optical, HDMI and bluetooth.

A little higher than you were looking for but well worth the price.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

m.hache posted:

Look into a soundbar. I picked up a nice Vizio one from Costco for $179 and am amazed at how well it sounds. Came with Optical, HDMI and bluetooth.

A little higher than you were looking for but well worth the price.

I thought about it, but my parents have a set of really nice speakers that they are giving me.

So ideally I want a receiver/amp/whateveritscalled to plug those into

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Sappo569 posted:

I thought about it, but my parents have a set of really nice speakers that they are giving me.

So ideally I want a receiver/amp/whateveritscalled to plug those into

I have an Onkyo receiver and I like it a lot.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I'm looking for a backpack to lug my poo poo around in. My messenger bag is fine for hauling to work, but pretty crappy for walking around a lot and general travel. I like durability, organizer bits and multiple pockets to keep poo poo separate and need a laptop compartment and at least water resistance.

It seems like most of what I'm finding are the Swiss Gear/Swiss Tech stuff(Which I've had bad luck with) or ULTRA MISSION READY TACITARD MILSPEC LOADOUT FOR OPERATING OPERATORS bullshit. I don't need 37 acres of webbing in multicam and a St. Michael Protect Us patch for my 9-5 office job and regular joe travel.

Edit: Also, being kind of big so I can shove my lunch in it or a change of clothes or whatever would be cool, too.

Citizen Z has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Feb 22, 2014

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Citizen Z posted:

I'm looking for a backpack to lug my poo poo around in. My messenger bag is fine for hauling to work, but pretty crappy for walking around a lot and general travel. I like durability, organizer bits and multiple pockets to keep poo poo separate and need a laptop compartment and at least water resistance.

It seems like most of what I'm finding are the Swiss Gear/Swiss Tech stuff(Which I've had bad luck with) or ULTRA MISSION READY TACITARD MILSPEC LOADOUT FOR OPERATING OPERATORS bullshit. I don't need 37 acres of webbing in multicam and a St. Michael Protect Us patch for my 9-5 office job and regular joe travel.

Edit: Also, being kind of big so I can shove my lunch in it or a change of clothes or whatever would be cool, too.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/

I have the momentum and love it.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Sportman posted:

I have a Talon I use for dayhikes and love it. The Osprey pack I saw at REI looked a bit too small for my work laptop(15.6 and kind of chunky), though. I think it was a momentum.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

Sportman posted:

Yes. I have the Osprey and it is fantastic.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Anyone got recommendations for a foot massager without breaking the bank?

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Looking for a nice portfolio to hold a pad of paper and also have pockets for loose papers and a holder for a stack of my business cards. Went to Staples today and wasn't too impressed with their selection. I don't much care for black leather.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I live in Vermont, and up here the months between February and June are filled with ice, slush, rain, puddles, mud, and frequently more than one of those at a time. I'm looking for a pair of decent looking, relatively light, waterproof boots/shoes that'll get me through it. I don't want anything too big and clunky, and my budget tops out at $80 or so. Do they exist? I like the North Face Back to Berkeley boots but they're a bit pricier than I'd like.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

martinlutherbling posted:

I live in Vermont, and up here the months between February and June are filled with ice, slush, rain, puddles, mud, and frequently more than one of those at a time. I'm looking for a pair of decent looking, relatively light, waterproof boots/shoes that'll get me through it. I don't want anything too big and clunky, and my budget tops out at $80 or so. Do they exist? I like the North Face Back to Berkeley boots but they're a bit pricier than I'd like.

Suggested before in this thread:

Nike Air Force 1 duckboots. Slightly outside your price range, but they're great looking (objectively), light, waterproof and warm. Maybe a bit overkill for June but they've been great to me all winter.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

martinlutherbling posted:

If you do decide to up your budget I just bought a pair of NorthFace waterproof shoes and could not be happier with them. They are shockingly cool for waterproof shoes and very comfy. I used to buy Keen shoes but they are like wrapping your feel in plastic wrap compared to these NF shoes.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I ended up finding a pair of the Back to Berkeleys for $90 and ordered em. Pretty excited

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are some good bed sheets? I've always used completely standard ones but I'm curious if there's anything better out there worth more than the bare minimum im spending.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Avocados posted:

What are some good bed sheets? I've always used completely standard ones but I'm curious if there's anything better out there worth more than the bare minimum im spending.

I recently bought the JCPenney sateen sheets recommended by SweetHome. They are so much softer than the Target sheets I had before. The bed feels so much more comfortable.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Avocados posted:

Read this:

http://www.truthaboutthreadcount.com/home

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm in need of two recommendations:

- A small-ish stand to put my small ATX CPU on top of. It needs to be sturdy and preferably have space for storage (drawers, shelves, etc.) A small bookcase or end table maybe?

- Shoe insoles, mine are torn up and I need new ones.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Avocados posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Pinzon-Signature-190-Gram-Cotton-Flannel/dp/B000FVW5Z2

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Looking for recommendations for a good portable air compressor/pump so that I can top up my tires when needed. The one I've been using is really on its last legs, it was already cheap when we purchased it like 10 years ago but now it barely clips onto the tire valve stems, the cord wiggles out because the unit vibrates so much, it can only just barely supply enough pressure to fill up the tires on my G35 and its louder than most shop-sized air compressors.

The only real things I care about are having a unit that doesn't require being ran from the battery directly, I would prefer the cigarette lighter plug in type and preferably not one that is going to blow out fuses/require a ton of power. One of the cars I use it on most often is my mothers Honda Fit, which I don't think has any of those high power output cigarette lighter plugs like some vehicles do. Don't really care if it has a pressure gauge on it, I've never seen any that were very accurate so I always just check it myself manually.

Amazon reviews are so conflicted, what brands/models should I be looking at?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

First thing: They're always going to be loud. Offroaders use them a lot, and I spend a lot of time around them, and the one I have is the only one I've seen that's (relatively) quiet, and that's only because it's custom mounted with sound absorbing materials inside the vehicle fender.

That said, anything by Viair (Amazon) is pretty universally well-regarded, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend them.

The only differences you're really going to see between various models is how long they can run before overheating, how high they can go (in PSI), how quickly they inflate, and various accessories. That being said, with the use case you describe, I'd probably get this one. It's the cheapest and should happily inflate four passenger car tires relatively quickly.

If you're curious, Viair makes a lot of stuff for air suspension, which is notoriously rigorous. That's why they make such good products.

Krakkles has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Feb 26, 2014

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Krakkles posted:

First thing: They're always going to be loud. Offroaders use them a lot, and I spend a lot of time around them, and the one I have is the only one I've seen that's (relatively) quiet, and that's only because it's custom mounted with sound absorbing materials inside the vehicle fender.

That said, anything by Viair (Amazon) is pretty universally well-regarded, and I'd wholeheartedly recommend them.

The only differences you're really going to see between various models is how long they can run before overheating, how high they can go (in PSI), how quickly they inflate, and various accessories. That being said, with the use case you describe, I'd probably get this one. It's the cheapest and should happily inflate four passenger car tires relatively quickly.

If you're curious, Viair makes a lot of stuff for air suspension, which is notoriously rigorous. That's why they make such good products.

Thank you, I might end up getting the 85P version. Can't seem to find any stores that sell the 70P locally but I can order the 85P to the store at Home Depot for only like ~$6 more then the 70P on amazon and that way if anything breaks or is DOA, I can always just easily return/exchange it at the store I would assume.

100% Dundee has a new favorite as of 09:01 on Feb 26, 2014

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Got mugged.

Need a new wallet.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

CowboyKid posted:

Got mugged.

Need a new wallet.

Get an Exentri, it's the best!

Sorry about your mugging :(

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

CowboyKid posted:

Got mugged.

Need a new wallet.

Sorry to hear that.

I suggest you buy this beautiful, handcrafted italian leather Gucci wallet as a replacement.

a bargain at ~$350

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I just picked this up (except Prada's version). It's got space in between the front and back for cash. Stays slim even with like 10 cards + cash in it.
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Tom-For...9&cmCat=product

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There's a goon that makes hand-made wallets that I've heard good things about and am considering getting myself:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603032

I can't speak for it yet though, anyone got one of these?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use this slim wallet because it's slightly more secure.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/wallets/victor-wallet.php

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Prada's Saffiano leather is the best.

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

I recently moved to the frozen tundra that is Iowa and am in desperate need of some gloves to wear. I'm not outside for long periods of time but it'd be nice to have something to keep my hands from freezing during the drive to/from wherever. The trip to work is short enough that my truck doesn't warm up but my hands drat near freeze. It didn't get above 5 degrees today. Suggestions?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

tyler is a joke posted:

I recently moved to the frozen tundra that is Iowa and am in desperate need of some gloves to wear. I'm not outside for long periods of time but it'd be nice to have something to keep my hands from freezing during the drive to/from wherever. The trip to work is short enough that my truck doesn't warm up but my hands drat near freeze. It didn't get above 5 degrees today. Suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/The-North-Face-Powerstretch-Glove/dp/B000ME7D3Q

I have these. They're a "liner"-style glove, so somewhat thin, but warm enough to wear outside while shoveling snow and brushing off the car. If you don't want anything too bulky I'd grab these, though they're a bit on the expensive side. The North Face is great for gloves, anyway, same as Burton.

Oh, I live in Canada and it was like -20 today

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

There's a goon that makes hand-made wallets that I've heard good things about and am considering getting myself:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603032

I can't speak for it yet though, anyone got one of these?

Bought one like a year ago for my boyfriend and he loves it. For the price it's great.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hummingbirds posted:

Bought one like a year ago for my boyfriend and he loves it. For the price it's great.

Bought two of these a year ago (one for me one for a friend). Not bad for the price, but only can handle so much. I don't need a costanza wallet, but I do often need to hold more than 6 cards and four bills.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
If you aren't into leather, I bought a decent wallet off etsy that's made from old men's suits. I'm pretty happy with it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ohsoretro?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

I've heard mixed reactions to RFID blocking wallets, from flat out "they don't work" to "they only work if they are completely sealed" to "hell yeah I went to China and all these machines went off and they had no idea what was going on when I walked through their scanners."

Anyone qualified to talk a bit more about what does and doesn't work with regards to RFID wallets?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I need a USB hub. I know that I can get one on the cheap from DX, but any electronics I've bought from them stop working after a few months. Any suggestions?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for a kneeling chair, or some other sort of "posture-correct" method of seating. Not looking for a regular chair because I can't stop myself sitting like poo poo in them and it defeats the purpose.

Also, a solid wood, simple desk organizer for putting my fountain pens and poo poo on top of the desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sometimes it rains when it's warm and my rubbery old rain jacket makes me overheat. I'd like to get a lightweight hooded rain jacket but everything I find is flimsy crap.

• Locked thread