Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Old Romans
Flesnolk
Ubern00b
DivineCoffeeBinge
NewMars
AdventFalls
Jazerus
ChaosSamusX
mcclay
Skyfinder
Frionnel
EightDeer
Gnooble
Bro Dad
Jihad Joe
Raserys
Horsebanger
MinistryofLard
Mortuus
GenHavoc
j00rBuDdY
StrifeHira
Thanqol
LoonShia
Total: 23

New Byzantines
ChrisAsmadi
TheMcD
cokerpilot
Aeromancia
Lynneth
Meinberg
sheep-dodger
Rogue0071
Technowolf
Sleep of Bronze <--- New Byzantine MVP btw
Pyroi
Clayren
Frozen_flame
OddObserver
HenessyHero
Gygaxian
beefart
Luhood
Hutter
Ezo45
D3m3
Ratoslov
Arbitrary Coin
Mirdini
BwenGun
Total: 25

Milvians
YF-23
AJ_Impy
Lord Cyrahzax
Sindai
WilliamAnderson
Unwise_Cashew
LordGugs
pospysyl
theblastlizard
Total: 9

Komnenians
Lord Windy
JT Lag
DeceitfulPenguin
Ghetto Prince
Capfalcon
Muskatnuss
Patter Song
Capfalcon
Duckbag
Total: 9

Fraternalists
Rejected Fate
Jimmy4400nav
DentedLamp
Sinner Sandwich
Total: 4

True Religion's Advocates In Time Of Rebellion & Strife
Tevery Best
lenoon
redingaccount
Ofaloaf
GrabbinPeels
forkis
aqu
Total: 7

Iconoclasts
Kellsterik
Total: 1

Guiding Light
Talky
Sampatrick
Total: 2

Steppes and Republics
Blackunknown
Total: 1

New Marians
Ubern00b
Ratoslov
NewMars
Pyroi
Jimmy4400nav
Total: 5

Expansionist Coalition
AJ_Impy
Frontspac
Total: 2

: Oh! Looks like the New Byzantines have held on by a hair! Well, that's fine by me. Can't go wrong with the party of Iouliana!
: However! They only won by a single vote! A Senate divided! And that might make for some really exciting oratory and rhetoric.
: But wouldn't it be nice if we all just got along? I think it would be.
: And so, by imperial decree, I hereby order the New Byzantines to work together with the Old Romans. I'm sure that'll work out just fine and have absolutely no negative consequences.
: Now, we're about to go to war with the Seljuks! Since it's not every day half their army is busy being wiped out by the Egyptians on the other side of the empire from us! That's non-negotiable!
: But after that? The world's our oyster!
: And so, for the New Byzantines and Old Romans only:
: I will accept three directives from the Senate which I will follow to the best of my abilities! I guess it's possible you could ask me to do something literally impossible with respect to the laws of the universe! There are a lot of strange and arbitrary rules to the world we inhabit. I won't warn you if you do something like that, though. You'll just waste one of your three directives!
: Also! Since everyone's so obsessed with it! I'm already building up our standing army as fast as I can! You can tell me to hurry up, I guess, but it won't really change anything.
: But anyway! The real point of this little exercise is the power of teamwork. So any directive put forward by a New Byzantine must be seconded by two Old Romans! Any directive proposed by an Old Roman must be seconded by two New Byzantines!
: First three proposals to meet these conditions become binding! Well, as binding as possible. I am your empress.

edit: Well, NBs won by two votes but whatever.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

The Anatolia-so Directive

The Empress is directed to conquer all Turkish holdings in central Anatolia.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Rogue0071 posted:

I second this Before we can retake the West we must restore the East.

Roman East Directive

In keeping with this the Empress is directed to reclaim Antioch, as one of the greatest and wealthiest cities of Roman antiquity and the seat of one of our holy Pentarchs. The reclaimed land should be placed under the administration of an Imperial Governor.

Gnooble fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 24, 2014

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

The Venetian Offensive

The Empress is direct to make Venice a vassal of Byzantium.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gnooble posted:

I second this Before we can retake the West we must restore the East.

Roman East Directive

In keeping with this the Empress is directed to reclaim Antioch, as one of the greatest and wealthiest cities of Roman antiquity and the seat of one of our holy Pentarchs. The reclaimed land should be placed under the administration of an Imperial Governor.

Seconded.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

The New Byzantines majority is actually one larger as it seems my vote on page 17 was missed. Unless of course it was deliberate election fraud perpetrated by the damned turks!

Rogue0071 posted:

ChrisAsmadi posted:

The Venetian Offensive

I second both these proposals, the first because as long as those holdings remain they shall fester like an unclean wound. The second because it fulfils a dual purpose: increasing the number of Republics within the Empire and so further solidifying our control of the Mediterranean trade, and providing us with a foothold in Italy with which to reclaim the mantle of the Western Roman Empire.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Just to refresh everyone's memory, here's the world map:

And the current State of the World

BwenGun posted:

The New Byzantines majority is actually one larger as it seems my vote on page 17 was missed. Unless of course it was deliberate election fraud perpetrated by the damned turks!

I second both these proposals, the first because as long as those holdings remain they shall fester like an unclean wound. The second because it fulfils a dual purpose: increasing the number of Republics within the Empire and so further solidifying our control of the Mediterranean trade, and providing us with a foothold in Italy with which to reclaim the mantle of the Western Roman Empire.

Sorry I missed your vote! I'll add you to the list. However, as a New Byzantine you can only second Old Roman proposals!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Talky posted:

Tell you what, we can compromise. I would understand completely if Euphosyne chooses to remain Orthodox, but I would suggest that her heirs be raised Sunni. Then everyone will have time to get used to the idea! Also, you would all have more time to learn Arabic.

Now I know voting is over, but I just need to comment that if there WERE a conversion to Islam it'd obviously be the job of the rest of Islam to switch over to Greek as a liturgical language, that's clearly non-negotiable.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Internal Restoration Directive

Romans!

For too long have greedy merchants, arrogant priests, and the rotten hands of foreigners and infidels pilfered our coffers while heroes fight and die against our enemies. We must be rid of our merchant republics, major landholding bishops, non-Greek Non-Roman vassals and heathens and replace them with decent Greek Roman (preferably Komnenos) duxes. Only then will Rome be as secure in the heartland as it is at the borders!

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 24, 2014

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Rincewind posted:

Sorry I missed your vote! I'll add you to the list. However, as a New Byzantine you can only second Old Roman proposals!

Thanks! And... urm... yeah, that was totally me making a deliberate mistake so others wouldn't and not me reading things too quickly and getting things wrong. :eng99:

Gnooble posted:

Roman East Directive

For the moment then I shall throw my support behind this.

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 24, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gnooble posted:

Roman East Directive

Seconded. Therefore, the Roman East Directive passes.

EDIT: Well poo poo, it already passed before me. Well, gently caress it, I'm still seconding it!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 24, 2014

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Have some more things!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ChrisAsmadi posted:

The Venetian Offensive

Seconded.

Also, to propose:

The Empress is directed to conquer Rome.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Old Romans and the Milvians should be earnest friends. I suggest to them a directive stating that any new vassal MUST be Greek and Orthodox.

I would also like to join the New Marian and Expansionist coalitions.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 24, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Rincewind posted:

Sleep of Bronze <--- New Byzantine MVP btw
:dance:

Gnooble posted:

Roman East Directive

κάλον ψήφισμα ὅ ἐπισπεύδω.

A fine proposal which I second.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

It seems like my vote of

was forgotten. This is obviously an evil plan to try to weaken the power of the Guiding Light. But that will never happen. We may have lost this election, but Islam is coming to Rome, and it cannot be stopped.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It pains me to see the senate merely voting for mindless expansionism. Are we not one in our hatred of the douxes? Do we not agree that them and the patricians have been the cause of some of the deepest divisions in our Empire? I agree that reclaiming Anatolia and Antioch should be our greatest priorities while the Turks are weak, but you want to add the Doge of Venice to our courtly intrigue as well? Being that we Milvians have failed to win enough influence I can then only implore Her Highness the Empress to at least consider giving the Anatolian or eastwards reconquests to Church administration.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Rogue0071 posted:

ChrisAsmadi posted:

The Venetian Offensive

I second both of these, though I believe vassalising Venice passed without need for my input? I also present the following:

The Preemptive Strike

The Empress is directed to immediately revoke the themes of all douxes found to be leading or involved with dissident factions against the crown, on the first offence, with these titles to be given to family members or loyal courtiers instead. Or, for our amusement, whichever of the doux's vassals they hate the most. An addendum: We should consider making more merchant republics and despotates to reduce the power of the douxes even further.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 24, 2014

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I will second this. With any luck, we can conquer Rome and let ourselves be called Romans, once again.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

ChrisAsmadi posted:

The Venetian Offensive

Rogue0071 posted:

I also second these two directives, and would propose an additional directive of my own.

The Jerusalem Pilgrimage

Should the Empress find herself in a position to expand after having retaken central Anatolia, she should attempt to conquer the Mediterranean coastline to Jerusalem.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Gnooble posted:

Roman East Directive

AdventFalls posted:

The Jerusalem Pilgrimage

Should the Empress find herself in a position to expand after having retaken central Anatolia, she should attempt to conquer the Mediterranean coastline to Jerusalem.

I would like to second this proposal. And along with that present one of my own:

The Cilician Integration Directive
The Basilissa should strive towards integrating the Doukessa of Cilicia as a proper part of the Empire, by diplomacy or by force. As it stands a Christian minority of Anatolia stands defenceless should Turkish Persia declare them a viable target for conquest, and we cannot let that happen. We must secure they are safe and protected within our borders, under the protection of the Basilissa and the Senate.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 24, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

AdventFalls posted:

The Jerusalem Pilgrimage

Seconding this.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Luhood posted:

I would like to second this proposal. And along with that present one of my own:

The Basilissa should strive towards integrating the Doukessa of Cilicia as a proper part of the Empire, by diplomacy or by force. As it stands a Christian minority of Anatolia stands defenceless should Turkish Persia declare them a viable target for conquest, and we cannot let that happen. We must secure they are safe and protected within our borders, under the protection of the Basilissa and the Senate.

Since this will help us to secure Antioch - Seconded

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Luhood posted:

And have yet another doukessa looking to stab our fair Empress in the back the moment she turns round? Your reasoning is sound, Senator, and I agree with the strategic need to incorporate Cilicia, but I'm not sure I can fully second the directive until we are sure the doukessa will be loyal or can be replaced by someone who will be, or unless my cautionary directive is heeded.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Gnooble posted:

Roman East Directive

Flesnolk posted:

The Preemptive Strike

The Empress is directed to immediately revoke the themes of all douxes found to be leading or involved with dissident factions against the crown, on the first offence, with these titles to be given to family members or loyal courtiers instead. Or, for our amusement, whichever of the doux's vassals they hate the most. An addendum: We should consider making more merchant republics and despotates to reduce the power of the douxes even further.

AdventFalls posted:

The Jerusalem Pilgrimage

I second/third/whatever number I am all of these. Territory and the destruction of any traitorous Douxes? This sounds like the best possible set of things to do.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I agree. That heretic doukessa should be replaced by a Greek Orthodox archbishop.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Luhood posted:

Though I am not a member of either of the two ascendent factions, I strongly endorse this plan, especially in light of the Antioch proposal. It would give the Empire full control of the Anatolian coastline and is a launching point into the Levant.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

If the rules of the Empress are binding (first three directives to 2 seconds from the opposing faction win), then we already have the trio as:

>Anatolia-so Directive: Reclaim central Anatolia
>Roman East: Reclaim Antioch
>Venetian Offensive: Vassalize Venice

This assumes that the Empress does not amend her request to 'the most popular three directives'. Other noted directives that have seconds from the necessary factions:

>Jerusalem Pilgrimage: Conquer central Anatolia, then coast of the Med to Jerusalem (2, fulfills requirements)
>Conquer Rome: Obvious (1)
>Preemptive: gently caress traitor douxes. (1)
>Cilician: Integrate the Douxess of Cilicia (1)

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 24, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

In fact, in light of your point, Senator, I would direct a question to the Empress: What is to happen when all three directives are completed? Do we do this anew, go down the list of directives that had the required seconds, crucify all the douxes to celebrate?

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

I will politely point out to my fellow Senators, that the Jerusalem Pilgrimage directive by definition necessitates the points put forth in both the Anatolia-so Directive and the Roman East Directive. Should the Empress allow for additional jockeying between Directives, this should be considered.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

AdventFalls posted:

I will politely point out to my fellow Senators, that the Jerusalem Pilgrimage directive by definition necessitates the points put forth in both the Anatolia-so Directive and the Roman East Directive. Should the Empress allow for additional jockeying between Directives, this should be considered.

The Cilician objective as well. It may more or less absorb those directives, but's such a weighty directive that I'd argue it might as well take up multiple slots. If the Empress only had to tackle the Jerusalem Pilgrimage and Venice I think that would be fair.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

: Wow! Getting you guys to work together was easy, since everyone can agree that we should conquer everyone!
: So, like like Senator AdventFalls has suggested, three most popular directives will be passed. Remember, you can only vote for directives proposed by the alternate party! Otherwise you're just tooting your own horn. Nobody likes a horn-tooter!

:siren: I decided to do that since it's been like an hour and I want more people to get a chance to participate. If you withdraw sponsorship please make it incredibly obvious and put some sirens or something in your post. Deadline is in 24 hours (5PM EST tomorrow) :siren:

BILLS:
Rogue0071 (NB)
Gnooble (OR)
Flesnolk (OR)

Roman East Directive
Gnooble (OR)
Technowolf (NB)
BwenGun (NB)
TheMcD (NB)
Sleep of Bronze (NB)
Pyroi (NB)

The Venetian Offensive
ChrisAsmadi (NB)
DivineCoffeBinge (OR)
Flesnolk (OR)

Internal Restoration Directive
Bro Dad (OR)

Conquer Rome (!)
DivineCoffeBinge (OR)
Meinberg (NB)

The Preemptive Strike
Flesnolk (OR)
Pyroi (NB)

The Jerusalem Pilgrimage
AdventFalls (OR)
TheMcD (NB)
Pyroi (NB)

Luhood (NB)
Gnooble (OR)

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

" ...crucify all the douxes to celebrate?

Impotent Doux Directive
I propose to take away the uncertainties mentioned by senator Flesnolk, by proposing that, if we can not absolve ourselves of douxes alltogether through crucifixion, perhaps we can indeed keep them all locked up and castrated?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

I'd like to second the Roman East Directive and The Jerusalem Pilgrimage. They seem the best directives for our glorious Empress to follow in my eyes.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

The Preemptive Strike

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Gnooble posted:

Roman East Directive

I second all of these proposals.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Ubern00b posted:

Impotent Doux Directive
I propose to take away the uncertainties mentioned by senator Flesnolk, by proposing that, if we can not absolve ourselves of douxes alltogether through crucifixion, perhaps we can indeed keep them all locked up and castrated?

Non-senate talk, game mechanics: Castrating prisoners automatically releases them, and they and their entire family hate you basically for ever. So that wouldn't really work.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I skipped out on the races today to see this? Blegh. What utter nonsense this farce called voting is.

I suppose that as a bit player in it I should vote for Pilgrimage, as travel narrows the mind wonderfully; seeing how backwards the rest of the world is will only make stronger the intent of the Empress to civilize the world and for Venetian Offensive, as they are offensive and we should remind them that imperial possessions may rebel but never for long.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

While I can applaud the New Byzantines for their forwardness, I think immediately spear-heading an assault on Venice might be early. The wealth of the Venetians could very well bring to their cause many thousands of mercenaries.

I will, however, joyously give my own ascent to The Cilician Integration Directive an The Anatolia-so Directive

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Oh, that's nice. I thought composing this would take long enough that it wouldn't be relevant any more because we'd have all three proposals locked. Now it's quite timely.

Ὠ βουλευταί, φυλάσσεσθε· μὴ ἀναγκάζωμεν τῆν ἀρχῆν μάχεσθαι ἇμα πλείονες ἐχθρούς. βλέπομεν γάρ πρός μεγάλην βασιλεία πρός ἑώ, ὥστε καὶ σπεύδειν τινα δεινόν ἀγῶν᾽ ἄν εἴη ἄβουλον. ταχύ μέν ἡμεῖς παρέχοντες κρατεῖς ἄν ἀρκοίη, χρή δ᾽ ἐννοεῖν τόν πόλεμον ἐπιμελῶς.
αὖθις ἐξηγέομαι τῳ σώφρονι.

O senators, a word of caution to you: let us not cause our empire to fight on too many fronts at once. We confront a great power eastwards, so it would be unwise to force some terrible conflict to our West as well. A swift show of strength may suffice, but war must be thought on with great care.
Again, I urge the senate to take prudence as our watchword.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I will support both the Roman East Directive and the Conquer Rome proposal, both are very fine proposals of our esteemed senators in the New Roman party.

• Locked thread