Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Did anyone else catch the Back to the Future reference?

The news guy was saying "they found me, I dont know how but they found me!" is verbatim when the Libyans attack Doc Brown before Marty makes his jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Light Gun Man posted:

So what you're telling me is that April's mom isn't a Neutrino? I was assuming that was gonna be the big twist for a long time.

I was hoping for this but alas.

The pictures of Kraang through history were pretty funny, though.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's cool that April is part of the team. But taking her along the mission to stop the Keanu from getting her DNA is loving stupid.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, to be fair - they didn't actually want to (Donnie aside). She just kept coming along regardless. Better to have her with them than sneaking in on her own behind them where she'd be alone.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
She wasn't supposed to.

When did the switch happen? Did I zone out when that was going on or was it purposefully unclear?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They told her to stay with Kurtzmann while they went in to TCRI. A few seconds later they're on the roof and she climbs up and joins them, asking what the plan is. They tell her to stay there and keep watch while they inflitrate and head off. She joins them again a few seconds later without a word. Leo gives up and just tells her to keep quiet.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ha ha. I guess that's pretty ambiguous. I just thought she was annoyingly persistent.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inkspot posted:

Ha ha. I guess that's pretty ambiguous. I just thought she was annoyingly persistent.

Well she is, but I imagine that's what the line of thought is supposed to be. If they keep moving ahead, she'll keep following and at some point probably end up on her own when she really couldn't afford to be. They'd either have to leave one of the guys behind to babysit her and keep her there or take her along. She seemed to realize she was in over her head for the moment though just before she got snatched, so maybe she'll have learned her lesson and leave off on going on missions till she's better trained and has control of her mental powers.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 13, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Inkspot posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that was her. She got dragged away while they were in TCRI, and next time we saw her she was running from the Kraang. Fairly confident that's when the switch happened.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh, poo poo, I got Dr_Amazing's reply mixed up with Inkspot and thought Ink was asking when the Turtles decided to let April join them when he mentioned swtich for some reason. Didn't even realize it till now. Yea, Argue has the right of it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I noticed they added Casey hanging out near the end of the intro now that he's been properly introduced.

This episode was pretty cool, it was nice to see the writers acknowledge the giant gap in experience between the turtles and April. The only thing that bothered me was that she easily managed to take out several clones of herself when the turtles had problems taking care of one earlier.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Maybe people won't find the Donny/April thing as weird now.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

horriblePencilist posted:

I noticed they added Casey hanging out near the end of the intro now that he's been properly introduced.

This episode was pretty cool, it was nice to see the writers acknowledge the giant gap in experience between the turtles and April. The only thing that bothered me was that she easily managed to take out several clones of herself when the turtles had problems taking care of one earlier.

Well they were being gassed at the time.

I was a little disappointed that all the clones were apparently evil by nature. It was genuinely creepy when all of them started asking for help escaping at the same time.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Dr_Amazing posted:

Well they were being gassed at the time.

I was a little disappointed that all the clones were apparently evil by nature. It was genuinely creepy when all of them started asking for help escaping at the same time.

Hey! April-derp wasn't evil, she/it just liked kicking rear end and petting turtles too hard.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Great. Now I'm picturing that thing with Elmyra's voice.

Edit: New episode!

If TMNT is sill a thing in another 30 years, I expect this will still be known as the series with the most body horror and gross-out humor. It fits, but it's a lot more prevalent here than anywhere I can remember.

Walking mushrooms that emit fear gas is exactly the kind of thing I want to see the turtles fight. The Shining reference and extended Fantasia reference were unexpected and funny. It all came together as a nice Leonardo episode while still giving everyone their moments. And it was kind of a spiritual sequel to The Case of the Killer Pizzas. And it advanced the plot with the mutagen canisters.

Perfect episode.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 18, 2014

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

It bugs me that dozens of mutagen canisters being dropped all over the streets was supposed to be a huge disaster that the turtles needed to deal with ASAP, but somehow they have plenty of downtime to spend watching TV and just generally loving around in every episode since. I know the writers want the show to be very episodic, but that doesn't mean they had to virtually forget about the canisters...

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This one really reminded me of the Scarecrow episodes of the old Batman cartoon.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
That episode was absolutely amazing. From the Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy sequence to the anime as gently caress boss battle, this might me my favorite episode yet. Well, then again, it's hard to beat the Season 1 finale.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Tmnt: mushroom samba was better than today's tmnt: short circuit.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Rita Repulsa posted:

Tmnt: mushroom samba was better than today's tmnt: short circuit.

True. It's been like a day and I don't really remember anything that happened other than feeling bad for Metalhead.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He made a R2D2 noise when he overloaded right?

Anyone else think it was weird that the plan went from, round up all the mutants to let the all go? Even the really dangerous ones like the squirrels and zombie wasps were released into the city.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
That mushroom episode was one of the last episodes I worked on. We didn't have a CG model of the caves yet and the director had me do pretty much full color illustrations for every. single. panel, I assume to help sell the bizarre vibe they were going for to the network heads. It took a full week to add backgrounds to each shot, and once I was done? We get the final set design that looks gently caress-all like what I had drawn, so I spent another week going through and editing every panel. I think it was right about there that I started looking for another job...

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Dr_Amazing posted:

He made a R2D2 noise when he overloaded right?

Anyone else think it was weird that the plan went from, round up all the mutants to let the all go? Even the really dangerous ones like the squirrels and zombie wasps were released into the city.

There were a lot of R2-D2 references.

This season has a weird recurring theme of "pets" gone rogue. First Mutagen Man, then Slash, now Metalhead. Makes sense that it would extend to the Krang-controlled mutants, too.

Next episode with the ice cream cat looks, … interesting.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Recycle Bin posted:

That mushroom episode was one of the last episodes I worked on. We didn't have a CG model of the caves yet and the director had me do pretty much full color illustrations for every. single. panel, I assume to help sell the bizarre vibe they were going for to the network heads. It took a full week to add backgrounds to each shot, and once I was done? We get the final set design that looks gently caress-all like what I had drawn, so I spent another week going through and editing every panel. I think it was right about there that I started looking for another job...

All that work paid off, though. It was an awesome episode. :)

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Recycle Bin posted:

Are you allowed to show your designs? I'd love to see what you had in mind.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Recycle Bin posted:

drat, sorry to hear about that? Are you free to talk about what you're working on now? Blink twice if you're in NDA hell.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

horriblePencilist posted:

Are you allowed to show your designs? I'd love to see what you had in mind.

Teeeechnically you're supposed to ask the studio for permission, but the unspoken rule is that once the episode airs you can post boards from it. That said, I can't seem to find the boards I worked on here at home. Not that there's much I can show. As a revisionist, my work is done on top of other artists' work, and I wouldn't want to put it up without their permission. I did find one old file though. These were the thumbnails for the underwater episode, when Donnie explains that the Kraang are contaminating the water with mutagen. Originally the scene was supposed to be in the main part of the lair, but later they decided to move it to donnie's lab. They also added a beat where April gets splashed with mutagen, so basically everything I did got thrown out and redone (this would be a running theme throughout the first season)

404GoonNotFound posted:

drat, sorry to hear about that? Are you free to talk about what you're working on now? Blink twice if you're in NDA hell.

I'm storyboarding on Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja for Disney XD at the moment. More ninjas, yay! Funny enough, the voice of Shredder is also the voice of Viceroy on this show.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Those are really awesome!

It's a bummer your work got shuffled like that. I imagine that kind of thing happens a lot more than we're told.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Recycle Bin posted:

I'm storyboarding on Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja for Disney XD at the moment. More ninjas, yay! Funny enough, the voice of Shredder is also the voice of Viceroy on this show.

:stare: I would never have connected those voices, holy crap. Can't wait for season 2!

Sucks about your stuff getting thrown away that much. Really hope you get permission to show those mushroom backgrounds, they sound really interesting

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I just got to the mushroom episode and its got to be one of the best episodes across all tmnt media. I was surprised it did the whole drug induced hallucination angle for a show on Nick. Really glad this series turned out much better than 03's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched a handful of the 2003 episodes and that series is horrendous.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Rhyno posted:

I watched a handful of the 2003 episodes and that series is horrendous.

I ended up watching through to the fast forward future episodes because the first few seasons kinda had that comic feel. But when you have to resort to April and Casey's nerdy grandson and a gay robot butler giving them Johnny Quest missions and you just :raise: and walk away.

Splinter gets turned into computer code.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Turtles Forever was good fun but the rest ... eeeeeeech.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Turtles Forever was good fun but the rest ... eeeeeeech.

The 2003 cartoon is a 1000 times more watchable than the 80s cartoon (up until the future shock series).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's sad that cartoons based on some of my favorite Turtle stories somehow end up :geno:

But yeah, it's at least an improvement.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
More watchable than the 80's show's a low bar. That 2012 has been bringing a lot of things from it back is downright audacious.

I had previously heard nothing but praise for 2003, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who did not like it. Which is too bad because some of its ideas sound very interesting. The Utrom Shredder is actually a fantastic idea imo.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
People don't like the 2003 series? I stopped watching at the future stuff but everything before that was sweet.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I haven't seen any of the 2003 series episodes since they originally aired, but I remember catching quite a few in the beginning and everything about it just felt "off" to me. I didn't like most of the character designs and the look of the show overall had a really bland style.

The 2007 CG movie was much better, but it was never used it launch a new tv show.

This Nick show is leaps and bounds better than the 2003 one. It's easily the best TMNT tv/movie adaption next to the original movie and the 2007 one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"It's a shell of a town!"
/rides BMX through sewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

hypersleep posted:

The 2007 CG movie was much better, but it was never used it launch a new tv show.

I thought this one rocked.

• Locked thread