Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

chuggo is BACK posted:

ahahha same guy

The Premier League, as a concept and as a brand, was given a tremendous boost by Manchester United's brilliance, flair and success; would it really surprise anyone if the PL were now looking for a new 'flagship' brand club, one which makes exciting big-money signings, one which plays in a globally-appealing, continental (and not merely British) style...and one which miraculously seems to have got so many journalists onside? "PL & others, what first attracted you to billionaire-Manchester City?"...

It's quite clear that, in modern-day Britain, everything is for sale - even integrity - and never mind the morals or sporting ethics; why else would the game welcome would-be owners who possess dire human rights records, people whose fortunes may well be built on a pile of corpses or on violations of the law? Everything's for sale if you have enough money to grease the wheels. Unless we've all been suddenly struck blind and can no longer read, it isn't bizarre or crazy to consider the evidence of recent history.

Mind blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
That can't be real.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

chuggo is BACK posted:

ahahha same guy

The Premier League, as a concept and as a brand, was given a tremendous boost by Manchester United's brilliance, flair and success; would it really surprise anyone if the PL were now looking for a new 'flagship' brand club, one which makes exciting big-money signings, one which plays in a globally-appealing, continental (and not merely British) style...and one which miraculously seems to have got so many journalists onside? "PL & others, what first attracted you to billionaire-Manchester City?"...

It's quite clear that, in modern-day Britain, everything is for sale - even integrity - and never mind the morals or sporting ethics; why else would the game welcome would-be owners who possess dire human rights records, people whose fortunes may well be built on a pile of corpses or on violations of the law? Everything's for sale if you have enough money to grease the wheels. Unless we've all been suddenly struck blind and can no longer read, it isn't bizarre or crazy to consider the evidence of recent history.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao United fans are cracking up after half a season of midtable mediocrity and I'm loving it.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

lmao United fans are cracking up after half a season of midtable mediocrity and I'm loving it.

city fans you mean

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

wayne rooney

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
http://www.redcafe.net/threads/who-let-the-dogs-out.385310/

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tbf the palace fans were pretty lol in the first half on corners.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

lolll

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

lol this is great

In response to someone saying it was not that bad:

quote:

This was bad enough that a thread was made.

Pretty good title for this thread imo

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The 1 Soccer Policy that Cripples the National Team all the way to 9 Year Olds

US Soccer not creating a true soccer pyramid with promotion & relegation.
That’s it!
You want youth development on par with the rest of the world?
You want our top flight pro teams at the level with the best in the world?
You want the National Team to consistently be a legit World Cup contender?
Well, we need a soccer pyramid – like the rest of the world – where the best can rise and the mediocre get punished.
America’s Strength
One of the things that has made our country so great is enabling ideas to compete with one another in an open market.
There are no monopoly entitlements granted so that one business presides over a market.
So for example, the US government does not entitle Google monopoly power over the mass search engine market.
No. Google’s product must live and die on its own merits. And the consumer (aka, the market) dictates that, not the government.
This policy of not granting monopoly power to any one business is awesome!
It breeds competition between ideas and their execution. It spawns innovation and grants freedom and opportunity for all who wish to enter the ring – it is arguably the best mechanism we have for enabling the true ‘cream to rise to the top’.
Hell, it is what gives legitimate credence to the concept of the “cream rising to the top”.
In the global soccer arena, the standard mechanism by which this is achieved is an open competition between autonomous clubs who can be promoted or relegated through divisions.
In our country, this is being denied to us.
We do not have an open market where people’s ideas and subsequent products live and die on their own merits through open competition.
Instead, we have a closed anti-competitive system.
We have a centralized command and control system run by a singular business comprised of a small aristocracy.
And they govern the entire soccer landscape with one single-party voice. In effect, soccer in our country is being controlled and represented by a monoculture.
Over the years, I have grown increasingly convinced that as long as US Soccer does not champion and then institute promotion/relegation, everything will continue in perverse mediocrity.
Again, promotion & relegation is the market mechanism by which ideas/products can openly compete. The best rise, the worst fall. This is what better incentivizes hard work and innovation. This is what gives the ambitious a means to rise to the top. This is what punishes the lazy, and the mediocre. This is what incentivizes investments throughout the landscape.
This captures the essence of the American Dream!
And guess what, in soccer, that’s the system the whole world has.
And yet, we don’t. We don’t have a more open, merit-based system like theirs … we have entitlements insulating a select – privileged – few from competition.
Get this:
The rest of the world has the essence of the American Dream woven into their soccer market.

And America (US Soccer), has instituted policy that rejects the American Dream!
There is No Pyramid
Access to Division 1 soccer in America is sealed off. And controlled by one single business, MLS.
You must also understand that this “league” is not simply a container which serves to host competition between self-governing and autonomous soccer clubs (ie real clubs).
NO!
There are no such clubs in our 1st division. These teams/organizations are franchises of a single centralized command & control business – a sanctioned monopoly.
What I’m going to start sharing with you this year, and the years to come, is how US Soccer’s current policy – the one which sanctions this monopoly – is at the very heart of all the problems you see in American soccer.
From the National Team level, all the way down to what’s happening with your 9 year old kid, can be derived from this one policy.
All that conventional wisdom regarding the “problems in American soccer”. Well, you’re going to see how it can be remedied by changing this policy and replacing it with one that is in line with the American Dream.
Winning at all costs?
Big, fast, strong bias?
Gold standard coaching?
College soccer stifling development?
Larger pro contracts?
Large TV ratings?
World Class players?
World class teams?
La Masia’s?
More expertise in our soccer media?
A real and consistent World Cup contender?
etc …
All that stuff gets addressed once we have policy that naturally incentivizes solutions.
A policy that stops entitling a few, and enables all people and organizations the opportunity to pursue their destinies on their own merits.
The market, not a handful of privileged shot callers, should determine what’s worthy and what’s not.
Make no mistake, this is exactly where the fight lies. And in the true sense of the word – a word I have never used here before – we have a REVOLUTION on our hands.
Choose to fight for the American Dream, or choose to reject it:
It’s up to you.

definitely wrong thread

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
Never has a point been so correct and the explanation so wrong.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

trem_two posted:

That’s it!
Well, we need a soccer pyramid – like the rest of the world – where the best can rise and the mediocre get punished.
America’s Strength
One of the things that has made our country so great is enabling ideas to compete with one another in an open market.
There are no monopoly entitlements granted so that one business presides over a market.
So for example, the US government does not entitle Google monopoly power over the mass search engine market.
No. Google’s product must live and die on its own merits. And the consumer (aka, the market) dictates that, not the government.
This policy of not granting monopoly power to any one business is awesome!
It breeds competition between ideas and their execution. It spawns innovation and grants freedom and opportunity for all who wish to enter the ring – it is arguably the best mechanism we have for enabling the true ‘cream to rise to the top’.
Hell, it is what gives legitimate credence to the concept of the “cream rising to the top”.
In the global soccer arena, the standard mechanism by which this is achieved is an open competition between autonomous clubs who can be promoted or relegated through divisions.
In our country, this is being denied to us.
We do not have an open market where people’s ideas and subsequent products live and die on their own merits through open competition.
Instead, we have a closed anti-competitive system.
We have a centralized command and control system run by a singular business comprised of a small aristocracy.
And they govern the entire soccer landscape with one single-party voice. In effect, soccer in our country is being controlled and represented by a monoculture.
Over the years, I have grown increasingly convinced that as long as US Soccer does not champion and then institute promotion/relegation, everything will continue in perverse mediocrity.
Again, promotion & relegation is the market mechanism by which ideas/products can openly compete. The best rise, the worst fall. This is what better incentivizes hard work and innovation. This is what gives the ambitious a means to rise to the top. This is what punishes the lazy, and the mediocre. This is what incentivizes investments throughout the landscape.
This captures the essence of the American Dream!
And guess what, in soccer, that’s the system the whole world has.
And yet, we don’t. We don’t have a more open, merit-based system like theirs … we have entitlements insulating a select – privileged – few from competition.
Get this:
The rest of the world has the essence of the American Dream woven into their soccer market.

And America (US Soccer), has instituted policy that rejects the American Dream!
There is No Pyramid
Access to Division 1 soccer in America is sealed off. And controlled by one single business, MLS.
You must also understand that this “league” is not simply a container which serves to host competition between self-governing and autonomous soccer clubs (ie real clubs).
NO!
There are no such clubs in our 1st division. These teams/organizations are franchises of a single centralized command & control business – a sanctioned monopoly.
What I’m going to start sharing with you this year, and the years to come, is how US Soccer’s current policy – the one which sanctions this monopoly – is at the very heart of all the problems you see in American soccer.
From the National Team level, all the way down to what’s happening with your 9 year old kid, can be derived from this one policy.
All that conventional wisdom regarding the “problems in American soccer”. Well, you’re going to see how it can be remedied by changing this policy and replacing it with one that is in line with the American Dream.
Winning at all costs?
Big, fast, strong bias?
Gold standard coaching?
College soccer stifling development?
Larger pro contracts?
Large TV ratings?
World Class players?
World class teams?
La Masia’s?
More expertise in our soccer media?
A real and consistent World Cup contender?
etc …
All that stuff gets addressed once we have policy that naturally incentivizes solutions.
A policy that stops entitling a few, and enables all people and organizations the opportunity to pursue their destinies on their own merits.
The market, not a handful of privileged shot callers, should determine what’s worthy and what’s not.
Make no mistake, this is exactly where the fight lies. And in the true sense of the word – a word I have never used here before – we have a REVOLUTION on our hands.
Choose to fight for the American Dream, or choose to reject it:
It’s up to you.

definitely wrong thread

Source.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I reckon that guy's 9 year old son didn't make the grade somewhere and this is the result

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

trem_two posted:

That’s it!

this guy has been around forever and owns, is probably in the employ of MLS to be consistently making such a great proposal so terribly

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
https://twitter.com/eaamalyon/status/436500427958665216

"The problem lies in Man United fans who don't realise that the Eric Cantona incident resulted in the death of an innocent football fan"

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
-----------Szczesny
Coleman--Varane--Koscielny --Shaw
-----Gündoğan---Ramsey
------------Özil
---Walcott-----------Reus
----------Balotelli

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

http://blog.3four3.com/2014/02/13/mls-promotion-relegation-us-soccer/

I got there via this guy: https://twitter.com/soccerreform

trem_two fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 23, 2014

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Eboracum posted:

-----------Szczesny
Coleman--Varane--Koscielny --Shaw
-----Gündoğan---Ramsey
------------Özil
---Walcott-----------Reus
----------Balotelli

lmao

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat

Reddit posted:

1. Of 23 penalties Webb gave 15 were to the home team - IS THAT TOO MANY?

Probability that the avg PL referee gives >= 15 home penalties out of 23 = 0.3973578

FAIL TO REJECT HYPOTHESIS THAT POST-WC-WEBB IS THE SAME AS THE AVG PL REF

2. Of 24 penalties Webb gave 4 were given in the last 15 min- IS THAT TOO FEW?

Probability that the avg PL referee gives <= 4 late penalties out of 24 = 0.2872285

3. Of 11 penalties Webb gave 1 were crucial- IS THAT TOO FEW?

Probability that the avg referee gives <= 1 crucial penalties out of 11 = 0.002772367

REJECT HYPOTHESIS THAT POST-WC-WEBB IS THE SAME AS THE AVG PL REF WRT CRUCIAL PENALTIES

4. Of 23 penalties Webb gave 15 were to the home team - IS THAT TOO MANY?

Probability that pre-WC Webb gives >= 15 home penalties out of 23 = 0.280075

FAIL TO REJECT HYPOTHESIS THAT POST-WC-WEBB IS THE SAME AS PRE-WC-WEBB

5. Of 24 penalties Webb gave 4 were given in the last 15 min- IS THAT TOO FEW?

Probability that pre-WC Webb gives <= 4 late penalties out of 24 = 0.3232952

6. Of 11 penalties Webb gave 1 were crucial- IS THAT TOO FEW?

Probability that pre-WC Webb gives <= 1 crucial penalties out of 11 = 0.001276239

REJECT HYPOTHESIS THAT POST-WC-WEBB IS THE SAME AS PRE-WC-WEBB WRT CRUCIAL PENALTIES

7. Of 22 red cards post-WC Webb gave 8 were given to the home team - IS THAT TOO FEW?

Probability that pre-WC Webb gives <= 8 home red cards out of 22 = 0.5278146

Probability that the avg PL referee gives <= 8 home red cards out of 22 = 0.4431766

8. Of 22 red cards post-WC Webb gave 1 were given with a penalty - IS THAT TOO FEW?

Probability that pre-WC Webb gives <= 1 red cards with penalty out of 22 = 0.1309911

Probability that the avg PL referee gives <= 1 red cards with penalty out of 22 = 0.2079409

9. Of 65 red cards Webb gave 0 were given early - IS THAT TOO FEW?

Probability that the avg PL referee gives <= 0 red cards early out of 65 = 0.05881382

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Webbcube.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

can't wait for the followup post about the econometrics of giving wayne rooney 300k a week

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
REJECT HYPOTHESIS THAT POST-FERGUSON MOYES IS THE SAME AS THE AVG PL MANAGER

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

mods close the thread.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Yep that pretty much has to be the worst football post ever and I say that as someone who's made quite a few stinkers himself

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
Here it is in full.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
He wrote it like he wanted to be published. Someone call up the scientific journals, please.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Meaningless without a confidence interval, coefficient of determination and gently caress me I've slept through econometrics and don't remember anything any more, hated every second of it and this post brings back terrible memories. It truly is the worst.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

mackintosh posted:

Meaningless without a confidence interval, coefficient of determination and gently caress me I've slept through econometrics and don't remember anything any more, hated every second of it and this post brings back terrible memories. It truly is the worst.

Sample size is far too small for the confidence interval to matter anyway and football referees are not assigned at random so it's essentially not possible to do proper analysis without accounting for a fuckload of biases

it's a lovely terrible post by a lovely terrible person who is poo poo and terrible at statistics, and it's glorious.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
That's sort of the argument of the poster though. That statistics do not demonstrate that Webb is more biased, in part because of too small a sample size. That's the real problem though. His "background" section:

quote:

Background: A Telegraph article claimed that Howard Webb bottles big decisions and that statistics proved this. I wanted to look at whether the statistics actually support the claims made in the article.

Who sits down and writes this poo poo because they felt a Telegraph article was statistically inacurate

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

The Mash posted:

That's sort of the argument of the poster though. That statistics do not demonstrate that Webb is more biased, in part because of too small a sample size. That's the real problem though. His "background" section:

Who sits down and writes this poo poo because they felt a Telegraph article was statistically inacurate

I did see that but he doesn't really go into *why* so the entire post is just maths dick waving that doesn't make much sense.

I mean sometimes I get tempted to sit down and write out a huge loving letter to the Daves to analyse the comparative performance of Big Sam based on metrics like points per game, proper accountified net spend, wages spent on squad, wage increases during tenure, points per game per pound, then show how he's underperforming for his wage comparative to other PL managers based on the same metrics.

Then I remember that literally nobody would ever read it and I don't hate myself that much, and also that anyone who doesnt already realise this is probably not going to understand words that aren't used on cbeebies.

The same things applies to anyone who thinks Howard Webb is actually a conspiracy robot made by the FA and not just poo poo at his job in the way most refs are.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
European Champions League Final:

Manchester United vs Barcelona

Manchester United are eager for revenge for the last two finals. Barcelona have studied Alan and Fellaini and think they have a plan. Barcelona dominate possession and Messi and Neymar run at Alan repeatedly, but can not find away through, no one is giving Barcelona anything. A few more heroic blocks by United and we're at half time, United are fired up by a rousing speech from Steve Round, (something about Preston) and come out all guns blazing. Fellaini is replaced by Robin Van Persie. Januzaj is tripped by Danni Alves and earns a penalty, Robin slots it home. United are 1-0 up and force for a second. With 5 minutes to go, Messi gets away on a counter, he's 5 yards infront but Rooney dashes back to cut out the pass to Neymar, and Barcelona earn a corner. Puyol is then Zidane-style-head-butted by Young, who's unconscious body is red carded and dragged off giving away a penalty! Messi steps up to take, but de Gea saves Messi's low shot with his legs, Rooney clears to a waiting Valencia who chips an out-of-position Valdez for the second. 2-0. Barcelona are crushed, Manchester celebrate and Rooney frustrates Alves at the corner flag to finish.

United are European Champions, whilst their 8th place finish was disappointing, nothing will have ever have been more satisfying than taking Fulham's champions league spot away from them. Moyes is sacked for an affair with Zaha's mother and United prepare to choose their next Manager.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Who is Alan? The author's Mary Sue?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Welbeck is the English version of Thomas Muller, an intelligent, flexible modern forward

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Strawman posted:

Welbeck is the English version of Thomas Muller, an intelligent, flexible modern forward

I think this is worse than the stats one.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Olewithmilk posted:

I think this is worse than the stats one.

It really is lmao

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Strawman posted:

It's true if we take 'English' to mean 'poo poo'

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fapene1wpX0

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I wonder how many drugs he was on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

quote:

I think every Stoke fan wants all this loving dogshit to end but for as long as the jumped martyr baits us with his pointing and "Shhhhh" celebrations and frankly cuntish statements like "an injury like mine, it's the worst thing you could have happen to you on a football pitch", he's getting it from all four sides of The Brit.

The boy is a oval office and he, along with Wenger, have dragged our captain, our club and everyone associated with the name Stoke City through the mud for four years in a factless, agenda driven, slanderous media campaign. That's why the abuse will never end. Not until he has the maturity and decency to admit it was an accident and a line has been drawn under the accident.

I won't hold my breath though.

quote:

Psyche up them tarts? I haven't seen them come down here and fancy it once myself... the hatred and intimidation is what we do well and like the pit bull if you get to know us as a breed we're bloody lovely but piss us off and we'll have yer leg!!

Ramsey is a C**t for reasons stated many times in the arsenal thread already and deserves every bit of abuse he gets.

The media hate and mock us anyway so sod what they think and say, let them call us thugs, i don't want to be the next Fulham... rather orks that than a bunch of gutless southern tarts!

I love it when there's hate in the air at these kinds of games, real buzz around the place, i remember as a young lad loving the abuse Commons got when he returned to the Brit.

Sadly peg leg can't receive that treatment on Saturday because once again he forgot to drink his milk but if we can piss a few aresnal fans off with both support for Ryan and mocking ramsey then great.

Throw in some abuse for the french twat and hey presto you've got an atmosphere... our lads will love it and with any luck will get something out of the game.

Sod rolling over, being the "bigger" men, turning the other cheek or giving them a brake, dirty arsenal bastards.

quote:

When Ramsey admits that he was the unfortunate victim in a 50/50 challange, and not a survivor of the Texas Chainsaw massacre, then i will stop giving him poo poo. Until then the repulsive little poo poo deserves everything he gets.

I'm not sure they realise that he's injured at the moment..