Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

What a Judas posted:

Don't buy these. They are a printed film and the art is not licensed, but stolen and the artist gets nothing.

Oh okay :stare: I did not know that, thanks for the tip, some people in MTG are real shitheads aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

What a Judas posted:

Don't buy these. They are a printed film and the art is not licensed, but stolen and the artist gets nothing.

Also they are sleezy cheesecake that confirms the worst stereotypes about the hobby.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tharizdun posted:

I've still never understood this... Hasbro doesn't sell on the secondary market, and every mom-and-pop I've been to doesn't even have gripfuls of Tarmagoyfs in their case, so it's not like they'd lose anything. And the knock-on effect of more people getting their hands on the money cards is gonna pop all the value uncommons/lower-end rares to make them affordable, too. It's totally :signings:

Someday I'm gonna do an effortpost collecting all the chicken-littling along with Bleiweiss's article, proof that reprints spike prices not tank them (at least on originals), etc etc.

Until then, at least I won a bet

Mostly, it has to do with the backlash from chronicles. They WAY overprinted everything and the value of all the cards tanked. A lot of people were unhappy and a lot of people left the game.

If you want to know the real effect a mass reprint would have, read some of the "sky-is-falling" articles about the chinese knock-offs that are now stateside. A lot of what makes magic appealing to buy into is the supposed consistent long-term value of the cards, and a massive devaluation of the product will cause cause an exodus of both players and merchants.

Now, I am in a group that I assume much of this thread is in, that really doesn't care about the value of our cardboard art rectangles, however, we to benefit from the prize structure tournaments are able to take advantage of thanks to cards holding value. Without the inherent value of cards, what reason would people have to attend a prerelease, or even an FNM, let alone a GP. As much as we want cheap reprints, they aren't going to do it, its bad for wizards, insofar as customer retention and bad for players, as it harms the competitive circuit a lot of people here are at least tangentially a part of.

I want, as much as the next guy, cheap fetches, but they can't reprint everything at once, otherwise the value of cards craters, and a lot of people leave. What they can do, however, is stagger the reprints to a staple or 2 every set. It sucks, but I don't see a better way.

Entropic posted:

Also they are sleezy cheesecake that confirms the worst stereotypes about the hobby.

I don't mind a cheesecake shot of Olivia Voldaren, the sensuality/bloodlust thing works for Innistraad vampires, but its fairly unnecessary on Demonic Tutor of all things.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Samael posted:

I like these. :)

and they are for sale, I have been thinking of buying them for a while.

Are these body pillow sized? Or magic cards?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Just a few days ago a card or two I ordered on TCG arrived with one of those house-made token cards that stores will issue, and it was a photo of a slumming hot rod mag model kneeling in front of an old wooden door with a towel artfully covering the legal minimum of her boobs. Vampire - 1/1. Apparently Sorin is trawling Miami for nascent model goths to bring to his dark cause.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Entropic posted:

I honestly googled altered art and those came up and thought they looked nice. If you have such sophisticated art tastes, why don't you post your favourite alters and contribute to the discussion?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Madmarker posted:

Mostly, it has to do with the backlash from chronicles. They WAY overprinted everything and the value of all the cards tanked. A lot of people were unhappy and a lot of people left the game.
I was playing back then, and I didn't stop when Chronicles came out. The dirty secret about Chronicles wasn't that they overprinted the poo poo out of everything (although they did), it's that up to that point, crazy-rare Legends and Antiquities stuff was in cases looking awesome and unobtainable - stuff like Carrion Ants was $20 (in 1993 money) because nobody could get their hands on it. Suddenly, Nicol Bolas in every third pack! Holy poo poo yes!

And then we discovered... the cards weren't very good. The things that were printed in Chronicles (other than Blood Moon) are all underpowered garbage and were only valuable because of their rarity, not because they were chase cards. We no longer have that issue (well, we still do, but it's because of the Reserve list and all the market-cornering happening with Legends cards) - cards are valuable strictly based on playability. Mythic rares from underprinted sets still don't have any value if they're as bullshit as Vaevictus Asmadi, because playability matters now, not just scarcity.

More people need to point out that Chronicles tanked values for cards that were scarce, but not good - which is a desirable event.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Samael posted:

I honestly googled altered art and those came up and thought they looked nice. If you have such sophisticated art tastes, why don't you post your favourite alters and contribute to the discussion?

As far as Google is concerned, 49% of the time, Altered Art means "we noticed a lack of tits falling out of corsets." 50% of the time, it means "We noticed a lack of tits falling out of anime."
1% of the time it is anything but those.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Samael posted:

There is a middle ground between sophisticated art tastes and shameless pandering.

theironjef posted:

50% of the time, it means "We noticed a lack of tits falling out of anime."

Yeah, about that http://magiccards.info/jpmbp/jp/16.html

mandatory lesbian fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 24, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Samael posted:

If you have such sophisticated art tastes, why don't you post your favourite alters and contribute to the discussion?
Chefatog :colbert:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madmarker posted:

Mostly, it has to do with the backlash from chronicles. They WAY overprinted everything and the value of all the cards tanked.

If only. I wish Chronicles had included Maze of Ith, Mana Drain, Candelabra of Tawnos, Moat, etc. Y'know, actually good cards.

What Chronicles did was crash the over-inflated value of a bunch of bad cards like the Elder Dragon Legends that were sought after solely as "collector's items".

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Samael posted:

Sorry, but he's right. Let's not promote the sleazy slut alters.

These are my favorite alters I've acquired in the last few years. Especially the last one. Does anyone know why that last one is the most important one?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

theironjef posted:

As far as Google is concerned, 49% of the time, Altered Art means "we noticed a lack of tits falling out of corsets." 50% of the time, it means "We noticed a lack of tits falling out of anime."
1% of the time it is anything but those.

That's good to know, shows how naive I am by just posting something from google. I know MTGSalvation has a nice forum thread for art alters after reading Wonder Weapon's article, are there any other websites which have similar content?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

What a Judas posted:

These are my favorite alters I've acquired in the last few years. Especially the last one. Does anyone know why that last one is the most important one?

Because it's one of the few alters I've ever seen that I'd actually play? The other being a Griselbrand altered to be a Jigglypuff because I'm actually an 8-year-old at heart.

Edit: And obviously Chefatog.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Tharizdun posted:

I was playing back then, and I didn't stop when Chronicles came out. The dirty secret about Chronicles wasn't that they overprinted the poo poo out of everything (although they did), it's that up to that point, crazy-rare Legends and Antiquities stuff was in cases looking awesome and unobtainable - stuff like Carrion Ants was $20 (in 1993 money) because nobody could get their hands on it. Suddenly, Nicol Bolas in every third pack! Holy poo poo yes!

And then we discovered... the cards weren't very good. The things that were printed in Chronicles (other than Blood Moon) are all underpowered garbage and were only valuable because of their rarity, not because they were chase cards. We no longer have that issue (well, we still do, but it's because of the Reserve list and all the market-cornering happening with Legends cards) - cards are valuable strictly based on playability. Mythic rares from underprinted sets still don't have any value if they're as bullshit as Vaevictus Asmadi, because playability matters now, not just scarcity.

More people need to point out that Chronicles tanked values for cards that were scarce, but not good - which is a desirable event.

It wasn't that it tanked the value of terrible cards for collectors per se, but that it tanked the value of a lot of singles that LGS' were trying to sell and were in relatively high demand because the supply was so low. They were the only real avenue for getting cards to players back then since the internet was in its infancy, so Wizards took the cries of those store owners extremely seriously. If LGS' had refused to carry M:tG going forward because they couldn't trust Wizards to not pull the rug out from under them regularly, that would have severely crippled the game at best and most likely outright killed it.

While structuring the reserve list the way they did and not leaving themselves any outs was a mistake, I can't fault Wizards for overreacting like that.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tharizdun posted:

Not going to disagree with you that there were other reasons for people to stop playing, and prices to drop other than the reprinting during chronicles. However, it has made Wizards incredibly scared of large-scale reprints.

I am not happy with how wizard's is currently handling things, but I can see the reasoning, and prefer this slow trickle we are getting to nothing at all. If nothing else the willingness to reprint staples is a good sign.

Samael posted:

The problem isn't that the art is bad, its just annoying how much cheesecake one has to delve through to get to anything new or interesting. I think everyone here has seen hundreds of alters of cards where the alterer decided what the card needed was just more boobs. Now, as a fan of boobs, I don't particularly mind some here or there, but at least have them make sense flavor wise for the card.

Very few people take issue with the card Basandra, Battle Seraph, even though it is essentially a woman in her underwear with a whip. But stuff like the Teysa, Ohrzhov Scion avatar on mtgo, or Kemba, Kha Regent, strike people as a bit much.

Now insofar as my favorite alter, I really like this Birds of Paradise.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

What a Judas posted:

The helmet I swear I've seen before, but I feel like it's just Karn wearing a Guyver suit otherwise. I like it more than most! Admittedly though, I'm generally not a fan of any alter where the first step is "remove all the text." I'm a relatively new player so I hate having to ask someone what their fancy photoshop fart of a card does when they drop it on the table with nothing but a nickname.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I like textless alters, but I don't think that the Karn in question would be tournament-legal, since the entire card is different (name, mana cost etc). Still looks amazing I think, I'd play that in a heartbeat.

Samael posted:

That's good to know, shows how naive I am by just posting something from google. I know MTGSalvation has a nice forum thread for art alters after reading Wonder Weapon's article, are there any other websites which have similar content?

What article are you referring to? I did a Ctrl-F in the last two pages, got nothing for "Wonder w"

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 24, 2014

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

What a Judas posted:

Is.. is his name written in Phyrexian? If so, that's badass.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

theironjef posted:

The helmet I swear I've seen before, but I feel like it's just Karn wearing a Guyver suit otherwise. I like it more than most! Admittedly though, I'm generally not a fan of any alter where the first step is "remove all the text." I'm a relatively new player so I hate having to ask someone what their fancy photoshop fart of a card does when they drop it on the table with nothing but a nickname.

It's a Phyrexian Karn. Jackie Lee made it for a competition years ago.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

What a Judas posted:

It's a Phyrexian Karn. Jackie Lee made it for a competition years ago.

Oh well then that is admittedly pretty rad.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

What a Judas posted:

Sorry, but he's right. Let's not promote the sleazy slut alters.

Jackie Lee did it.

Which I did not remember until I had to look up the Gatheringmagic.com page it was on.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Quick rules question: Pithing Needle's ability doesn't use the stack, right? So if I cast Needle and my opponent has an Underworld Connections on a Swamp, and they choose to take no action while the spell is on the stack, as soon as it enters the battlefield and I name Swamp, they cannot respond by tapping the Swamp to draw one last card, right?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I like textless alters, but I don't think that the Karn in question would be tournament-legal, since the entire card is different (name, mana cost etc). Still looks amazing I think, I'd play that in a heartbeat.

What article are you referring to? I did a Ctrl-F in the last two pages, got nothing for "Wonder w"

http://blog.mtgprice.com/2014/02/19/affordable-luxury/

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

qbert posted:

Quick rules question: Pithing Needle's ability doesn't use the stack, right? So if I cast Needle and my opponent has an Underworld Connections on a Swamp, and they choose to take no action while the spell is on the stack, as soon as it enters the battlefield and I name Swamp, they cannot respond by tapping the Swamp to draw one last card, right?

That is correct. If it said "When Pithing Needle the battlefield", it would be a triggered ability that goes on the stack, but "As Pithing Needle enters the battlefield" doesn't use the stack.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

They cannot. The last chance to use it to draw is before Pithing Needle resolves, since the choice happens as it enters the battlefield. It comes onto the battlefield with the card already named.

Also, thanks Samael.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Fox of Stone posted:

I like to imagine how absurd modern prices will be when SCG finally switches over and does modern Sundays due to the larger player base. :allears:

Probably never going to happen, at least not for a long time. Without the Legacy Opens the market for every card pre-8th edition becomes effectively casuals and EDH only, tanking a large part of their inventory's value. Unless they sell out of old cards first, it is unlikely they will switch sundays to anything other than Legacy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What a Judas posted:

Yo someone post the cool bro karn with the greek paddle and upturned collar. Also this thread moves too fast and I was gonna post a typical anime alter as a response to Samael's post. Holy poo poo there are so many boobs. I knew there were tons on ebay but thought it was a quick cash grab and maybe 50% of the total. NOPE.

This brings us to this important question: Why the hell isn't anime alter art 90% Goku?

L0cke17 posted:

Probably never going to happen, at least not for a long time. Without the Legacy Opens the market for every card pre-8th edition becomes effectively casuals and EDH only, tanking a large part of their inventory's value. Unless they sell out of old cards first, it is unlikely they will switch sundays to anything other than Legacy.

They could always just not buy any new ones and sell the rest before doing so. SCG does like to buy up and hoard good legacy cards but that doesn't mean they have to do so indefinitely.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 24, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fox of Stone posted:

Yo someone post the cool bro karn with the greek paddle and upturned collar. Also this thread moves too fast and I was gonna post a typical anime alter as a response to Samael's post. Holy poo poo there are so many boobs. I knew there were tons on ebay but thought it was a quick cash grab and maybe 50% of the total. NOPE.

This brings us to this important question: Why the hell isn't anime alter art 90% Goku?

They could always just not buy any new ones and sell the rest before doing so. SCG does like to buy up and hoard good legacy cards but that doesn't mean they have to do so indefinitely.

I've got this pic, it's Ermacool

And there's Nicool Brolas

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
Taken from the Cube subforum's altered/pimped thread. I've been wanting to do/get a similar alter for my cube ever since one of the players pointed out DJ Yavimaya Elder.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
I've probably done about fifty alters in the last couple of months.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I was going to follow the theme and post Swagtusk but then I found this instead

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fox of Stone posted:

That seems like a good way to get the market to crash before they've finished selling. "Hey, did you hear that SCG's stopped buying legacy staples? I wonder if they're planning on cashing out." *value drops 50%*

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Carrasco posted:

That is correct. If it said "When Pithing Needle the battlefield", it would be a triggered ability that goes on the stack, but "As Pithing Needle enters the battlefield" doesn't use the stack.

Thanks, 2nd quick question. Creatures with Inspired that untap during my Untap phase actually have their triggers moved to beginning of Upkeep, right? So for example, say I had an exiled Obzedat that was going to be returning at the beginning of my Upkeep. I also have Pain Seer untapping at the beginning of my turn and I'm at 1 life. Can I choose to have Obzedat come back first to gain 2 life before triggering Pain Seer's ability, to give myself a better chance of not killing myself?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I'm a big fan of this:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

Thanks, 2nd quick question. Creatures with Inspired that untap during my Untap phase actually have their triggers moved to beginning of Upkeep, right? So for example, say I had an exiled Obzedat that was going to be returning at the beginning of my Upkeep. I also have Pain Seer untapping at the beginning of my turn and I'm at 1 life. Can I choose to have Obzedat come back first to gain 2 life before triggering Pain Seer's ability, to give myself a better chance of not killing myself?

Yes, since you're the active player, you stack abilities as you like.
Although your opponent's triggered abilities resolve before yours, so keep that in mind. And, if he has anything instant speed (Staff of Nin for example), he can kill you after you've put everything on the stack.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Mikujin posted:

I'm a big fan of this:

dat dildoleg

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Good goku alters

And of course my very own nws cool alter

the paint is textured for your rubbing pleasure