Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild Bill
Oct 4, 2001
I'm looking to stand up a small virtual environment at home as a test bed for various operating systems/services/tools while I pursue some certifications. I'm going after the CEH at the moment, but may get CCNA again and may chase MS or VM certs in the future.

I need a separate host since I plan on playing around with Metasploit and eventually getting into a little malware analysis, web application hacking etc., and don't want to risk anything getting out and loving up my home pc.

I'm not sold on any particular virtualization solution at the moment, but low cost, and the ability to snapshot/roll back or easily stand up a new copy of a VM once I gently caress it up would be super.

I don't need something blazing fast or reliable enough to run production data on, I just want something I can isolate away from my existing network, load up a bunch of OS(NT 4.0 through 2012 Server, XP through Windows 7, various *nix flavors, Backtrack, etc) and bang away on. I probably won't need more than 2-3 VMs active at one time (Attack Box, Target, ????), but the ability to keep more up at once might come in handy later.

I've never really been a hardware guy, so let me know if I'm completely loving stupid with this.

CPU http://www.microcenter.com/product/414698/FX_6350_Black_Edition_39GHz_Six-Core_Socket_AM3_Boxed_Processor
MB http://www.microcenter.com/product/401771/970A-G46_AM3_ATX_AMD_Motherboard
RAM 16gb of whatever to start, more if necessary.
Case/drives/etc. Old Athlon 64 box and spare parts I've got sitting in the closet.

Links are what's in stock at the local microcenter here in VA, I can buy off Newegg or Amazon prime if there's a better solution available, but having something I can pick up and assemble today would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sefal posted:

I'm currently studying for my CCNA. I'm now at the part of subnetting router protocols is right after this. and I understand how to do that. I understand the theory but I have no hands on experience with it. i know which cables to use i don't know how to make them. I can identify them. The only hands on experience I have is with Packet Tracer and that is virtualized. I want to know how to connect switches with a patch through the wall to a central switch. I want to know how to actually subnet routers. I want to know how to actually subnet and connect a real work environment.

I'd suggest picking up a Dell PowerConnect 2716 Catalyst 2950 switch and a few Cisco 2611 routers with 2 ethernet interfaces each. The switch will run about $50 or less and the routers are selling around $60.

With a trio of routers and the switch, you can break up the switch with VLANs into multiple network segments and then route between them with the routers:

Note that each of the network segments (VLAN1, VLAN2 and VLAN3) are actually the same PowerConnect 2716 2950 broken up into 3 VLANs.

You can also search eBay for "CCNA lab" and see what stuff appears. Often bundles appear that are pretty good values.

edit: Dell gear for a cisco certification. Duh!

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 31, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Why not just buy a few Cisco 2950s instead of a Dell switch since he's studying for, you know, a Cisco exam?

They're <$30 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-WS-C295...1&keywords=2950

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

QPZIL posted:

Why not just buy a few Cisco 2950s instead of a Dell switch since he's studying for, you know, a Cisco exam?

They're <$30 on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-WS-C295...1&keywords=2950

Hah hah. Didn't even think of that. :) It's become so ingrained in me to look to Dell for the cheaper version of Cisco that I wasn't thinking here.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Check those components against the VMware HCL for whitebox builds - ESXi is very picky about the hardware it will use. The advantage of using ESXi is that you can use ESXi for free, although some of the options you might want in the future (auto-deploy and cloning VMs) are not available unless using vCenter. A way around that is to use a 60-day trial version of vCenter, which you can endlessly recycle. You would just need to rebuild your lab every couple months, which if you're like me you do anyways just because you can and you want to try something new.

If you have any specific questions about hardware I'm sure we can help.

Wild Bill
Oct 4, 2001
I'm assuming you're referring to http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php All I'm seeing there is Opteron and Intel CPUs, nothing about the other AMD chips. I've seen a couple people recommend them in this thread.

Agrikk posted:

<snip>
Here's a decent home ESXi server for around $550:

ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 - $85
AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1 GHz Eight-Core Desktop Processor - $150

As far as I can tell, the FX 6350 should be pretty much identical to these two, minus speed, and being a power hog. If there's somewhere else I should be looking, I'd appreciate the pointers. Unfortunately, all the Intel chips at the local Microcenter are ****Ks which apparently are not supported.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Wild Bill posted:

I'm looking to stand up a small virtual environment at home as a test bed for various operating systems/services/tools while I pursue some certifications.

I recommend checking out Dilbert As gently caress's presentation about setting up a virtualized lab before buying anything. You can probably start out with a copy of VMware Workstation on your existing desktop and shell out for a server once you hit the limits of your existing hardware.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

SamDabbers posted:

I recommend checking out Dilbert As gently caress's presentation about setting up a virtualized lab before buying anything. You can probably start out with a copy of VMware Workstation on your existing desktop and shell out for a server once you hit the limits of your existing hardware.

Seconding that. DAF's presentation really was well-done and gave me a few ideas I wanted to test out, so in addition to my ESXi box I threw Workstation 10 on my desktop PC and created a full-blown lab in it (after buying a 256GB SSD and 1TB WD Black spindle drive). The SSD is a lifesaver, since trying to run a full-blown lab using just a spindle drive will drive you to slit your wrists.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sefal posted:

I'm currently studying for my CCNA. I'm now at the part of subnetting router protocols is right after this. and I understand how to do that. I understand the theory but I have no hands on experience with it. i know which cables to use i don't know how to make them. I can identify them. The only hands on experience I have is with Packet Tracer and that is virtualized. I want to know how to connect switches with a patch through the wall to a central switch. I want to know how to actually subnet routers. I want to know how to actually subnet and connect a real work environment.

I don't have a lot of money right now. but I am saving up to buy a lab because what I have now won't cut it I think.
I think my budget would come around to 500-800 euro's

I have a PC with 8GB ram I7 processor 1 nic.
and it is currently running 4 VM's (windows server 2012 domain controller, W2012 File Server, Windows 7 client and Linux Open Suse which I currently use to learn how to make a mailserver)

I would love to have something like H.R Paperstack has. But it is way out of my price range.

But I really love the setup. is there a budget version like that? that will be good enough CCNA en maybe CCNP in the future?

Have you looked into GNS3? For CCNA I would get some 2950 switches and emulate your routing.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I have not looked into GNS3. Thank you guys for your advice. I was looking around ebay and I think I want to buy this.
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/CISCO-Lab-CC...=item19e7e06e4b

it's pretty cheap. and I think it would satisfy my needs

Then I found this
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/compute...previousPage=lr
which is a bit more expensive but looks really nice. but I don't think it's worth shelling out 500 euro's when I can get what I need for 150 euro's

I think I will start with GNS3 after I get some hands on experience with the hardware.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Sefal posted:

I have not looked into GNS3. Thank you guys for your advice. I was looking around ebay and I think I want to buy this.
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/CISCO-Lab-CC...=item19e7e06e4b

it's pretty cheap. and I think it would satisfy my needs

Then I found this
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/compute...previousPage=lr
which is a bit more expensive but looks really nice. but I don't think it's worth shelling out 500 euro's when I can get what I need for 150 euro's

I think I will start with GNS3 after I get some hands on experience with the hardware.

As you get more experience you can bridge a GNS3 topology build into that physical lab and keep expanding.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Packet tracer and GNS 3 will take you farther for cheaper than forking money for a switch

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

So I'd like to get a rack. Any decent smalls ones that I can put on top of my desk? Currently have 6U worth of equipment, would probably need at least 9U or maybe even 12U to make sure I have room for expansion.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

sudo rm -rf posted:

So I'd like to get a rack. Any decent smalls ones that I can put on top of my desk? Currently have 6U worth of equipment, would probably need at least 9U or maybe even 12U to make sure I have room for expansion.

IKEA Lackrack - available in two depths and costs around 5 $

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

sudo rm -rf posted:

I ended up getting a 12U cabinet off Amazon (it was wallmount so I had to add casters).

http://amzn.com/B00GAPUMDE

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

I ended up getting a 12U cabinet off Amazon (it was wallmount so I had to add casters).

http://amzn.com/B00GAPUMDE

I love these, but half depth is so limiting.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

evol262 posted:

I love these, but half depth is so limiting.

Yeah that is a downside since you aren't fitting a standard rackmount server in there. Home lab wise it's almost perfect since people are rolling their own server and the cases are usually shallow like that 2U I have in there.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Yeah that is a downside since you aren't fitting a standard rackmount server in there. Home lab wise it's almost perfect since people are rolling their own server and the cases are usually shallow like that 2U I have in there.

I had a lot of problems finding half-depth cases with ears on Newegg 4 years ago (last time I had a half-depth rack). Is there a good option these days?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

evol262 posted:

I had a lot of problems finding half-depth cases with ears on Newegg 4 years ago (last time I had a half-depth rack). Is there a good option these days?

My 2U case is a Norco : http://amzn.com/B00BQY36DC

They have some 4U options as well if you need the extra space for drives.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Any CCIEs in the house? I currently have the following gear, and I'm curious what else I'll need for the CCIE eventually. I guess I'm trying to "futureproof" my lab setup, so I only buy things I'll eventually need, instead of filling up with crap that'll be useless to me later on (like I've somewhat done already).

Routers:
- 1841 ISR
- 1841 ISR

Switches:
- 3524XL
- 2924XL

Really, the only semi-modern items in there are the 1841s and the 3550 :(

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm building a little home esxi server and have everything ordered but one last item. USB flash drive for booting off of. Are there any particular ones that are more reliable for this use? I'll buy a couple for backup, but right now I'm thinking Crucial because they are more likely to have built it start to end?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

phosdex posted:

I'm building a little home esxi server and have everything ordered but one last item. USB flash drive for booting off of. Are there any particular ones that are more reliable for this use? I'll buy a couple for backup, but right now I'm thinking Crucial because they are more likely to have built it start to end?

They pretty much all use the same chips. Crucial is no more or less likely to survive, really. Buy one cheapish one for now. They'll only get cheaper and better in the future.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

QPZIL posted:

Any CCIEs in the house? I currently have the following gear, and I'm curious what else I'll need for the CCIE eventually. I guess I'm trying to "futureproof" my lab setup, so I only buy things I'll eventually need, instead of filling up with crap that'll be useless to me later on (like I've somewhat done already).

Routers:
- 1841 ISR
- 1841 ISR

Switches:
- 3524XL
- 2924XL

Really, the only semi-modern items in there are the 1841s and the 3550 :(

When do you plan on taking the lab? v5 is moving to 15.0code, so you'll want gear that runs that along with anything else listed in the blueprint. If you don't plan on taking it for a few years, look into rack rentals or GNS3/IOU builds instead, as they'll at least remain somewhat close to the requirements code/feature.

Keep in mind the v4 lab is comprised of something near 25 routers, so it's not something you are going to want to buy physical hardware for.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 4, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

phosdex posted:

Alternate (Not-so) comedy option: Get familiar with vSphere Auto-deploy and skip the USB drive altogether :swoon:

Of course you'll need more hardware to take its place, but it's much more fun :3:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Alternate (Not-so) comedy option: Get familiar with vSphere Auto-deploy and skip the USB drive altogether :swoon:

Of course you'll need more hardware to take its place, but it's much more fun :3:

Actually you can use auto deploy in connection with your USB devices so if your Auto Deploy server is not working properly it will failback to the USB. :eng101:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.install.doc%2FGUID-0813B4BE-485D-4129-902B-49AA42EBF54E.html

phosdex posted:

Once ESXi boots it really doesn't touch the boot device, you can but el cheap USB drive that is 8Gb and yank the usb drive after it boots up and roll.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ok how about a cheap Intel based PCI Express quad port nic that I can find on ebay?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

phosdex posted:

Ok how about a cheap Intel based PCI Express quad port nic that I can find on ebay?

EXPI9404PT

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Internet, I've priced a new lab box with 64gb of RAM, Core i7-4820K, 5 2TB HDDs* (4 for RAID 10, 1 for spare), for $1634.41. Do I need this?

* I was closer than you want to know to rolling my own iSCSI SAN...

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Internet, I've priced a new lab box with 64gb of RAM, Core i7-4820K, 5 2TB HDDs* (4 for RAID 10, 1 for spare), for $1634.41. Do I need this?

* I was closer than you want to know to rolling my own iSCSI SAN...

What do you want to do with it? I'd err on the side of "no."

SamDabbers posted:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

64GB seems like a lot, have you done the math on what you plan to run? And do you honestly need 4TB of storage? SSD pricing is really coming down, you might consider one 512+ GB SSD instead of shelling out for 5 spinning disks plus a RAID controller. Unless your "lab" is actually being used as a home media server or backup target.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Be a man, buy a Synology NAS.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What is the current zeitgeist regarding AMD vs Intel ESXi whiteboxes? I decided that much as I love simming ESXi and my various projects on my desktop, I'd like to move that all to its own resources.

Was thinking about something like the following:

AMD FX-8320 ~$150
ASUS M5A78L-M ~$70
16GB Crucial DDR3 1333 ~$150

I've got things like the Case covreed. Mainly interested in the working bits. Storage would be iSCSI so I'm not concerned about storage. I'll probably be booting this off of USB anyway.

Just wondering what the Intel equivalent would be. Of course if there is some good reason why this combo would be a bad fit I'm all ears too.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

What is the current zeitgeist regarding AMD vs Intel ESXi whiteboxes? I decided that much as I love simming ESXi and my various projects on my desktop, I'd like to move that all to its own resources.

Was thinking about something like the following:

AMD FX-8320 ~$150
ASUS M5A78L-M ~$70
16GB Crucial DDR3 1333 ~$150

I've got things like the Case covreed. Mainly interested in the working bits. Storage would be iSCSI so I'm not concerned about storage. I'll probably be booting this off of USB anyway.

Just wondering what the Intel equivalent would be. Of course if there is some good reason why this combo would be a bad fit I'm all ears too.

I generally like AMD more for lab designs because you have a higher core count. Intel has many cpu's with higher performing cores.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
In a lab, more physical cores is more useful than faster cores but fewer of them.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

phosdex posted:

This might be a dumb question (I am a noob to this stuff), but what is the advantage of an expensive a quad port 1gb NIC over a couple of cheap dual port cards?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ZetsurinPower posted:

This might be a dumb question (I am a noob to this stuff), but what is the advantage of an expensive a quad port 1gb NIC over a couple of cheap dual port cards?

Less PCI slots used.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have two 560 twin frozrs without the plastic fans because they died. What to do?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Can anyone recommend the use of this book in studying for a CCNA/networking in general? If not what would be a better suggestion.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-CCENT-ICND1-100-101-Official/dp/1587143852/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393281315&sr=1-2

Or should I just not bother with it at all and just download some router firmware ISOs and just play around with them in vmware with the official documentation until I understand it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Methanar posted:

Can anyone recommend the use of this book in studying for a CCNA/networking in general? If not what would be a better suggestion.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-CCENT-ICND1-100-101-Official/dp/1587143852/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393281315&sr=1-2

Or should I just not bother with it at all and just download some router firmware ISOs and just play around with them in vmware with the official documentation until I understand it.

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Routing-Switching-Study-Guide/dp/1118749618

If you actually intend to pass the CCNA (as opposed to just messing around and learning a thing or two about networking, which is a fine goal too!) you should probably invest in a book or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Methanar posted:

I'd get the Lammle book that Docjowles linked instead. But you should definitely not just do one or the other. How well do you understand computer networks? The OSI model? Can you subnet in your head? Those topics need to be understood just as much as IOS itself.

• Locked thread