Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That was a fun game, and I am really sad Whitney lost. I also learned that if you trash-talk Jeopardy contestants on Twitter they will find and RT you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
I really hope Tucker, the bow tie wearing A&M guy, does not win the finals.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I liked how tonight's game was close, but didn't really like how little everyone knew.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zakharov posted:

That was a fun game, and I am really sad Whitney lost. I also learned that if you trash-talk Jeopardy contestants on Twitter they will find and RT you.

I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Piper posted:

I really hope Tucker, the bow tie wearing A&M guy, does not win the finals.

I'm disappointed he didn't break out a beanie w/propeller.

:colbert:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

From last night. Didn't notice at the time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
God drat, two-thirds of today's contestants were loving dumbasses...How do you not know string theory?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 19, 2014

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

God drat, two-thirds of today's contestants were loving dumbasses...How do you not know string theory?

It was a pretty tough question if you have no background in physics, like me.

edit: Eric may have been a doofus but at least he got Trebek to do this.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 19, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

zakharov posted:

It was a pretty tough question if you have no background in physics, like me.

edit: Eric may have been a doofus but at least he got Trebek to do this.

My high school geometry teacher would kill me for not remembering that a one dimensional object is a line or in this case, string.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

BET TO WIN! BET TO WIN!

You wimped out on a DD bet with one clue left and you very close to the lead and it cost you the game. Great job.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

zakharov posted:

BET TO WIN! BET TO WIN!

You wimped out on a DD bet with one clue left and you very close to the lead and it cost you the game. Great job.

I'm sorry, but the new correct strategy is to Bet to Tie.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm sorry, but the new correct strategy is to Bet to Tie.

I miss Arthur so much

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
I cant believe in the college tournament on the 2nd question in a category was a picture of a pizza cutter asking whats this? Are you loving serious.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

yourafagpleasedie posted:

I cant believe in the college tournament on the 2nd question in a category was a picture of a pizza cutter asking whats this? Are you loving serious.

Yeah there have been some real laughers in this tournament. It's College Championship! These people are eligible for the real show! Give them real questions!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

^^^^^ also, since when the gently caress is a "poncho" a dorm room staple? Four years of college and I never saw a single person wearing a poncho. I can think of a million different things more staple-y than that.

One thing about last night's show that drove me crazy was when the guy on the far left had $4400 really early in the first round with lots of answers left on the board. He gets the DD, and bets a pittance like $1200 or something. Man up, dude! You double your money to $8800 that early, and you can basically win through attrition.

If I remember correctly he ended up winning anyway with a larger wager on a Final Jeopardy answer that they all got correct (FALSTAFF!), but at the end of Double Jeopardy it was anyone's game.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I told my friends that Terry looks like Paris Hilton and they think I'm crazy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Oh good grief how do NONE of these kids get "Fight the Power??"

and what a cupcake final jeopardy that was

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

zakharov posted:

Oh good grief how do NONE of these kids get "Fight the Power??"

and what a cupcake final jeopardy that was

It was funny though, because the guy on the left was clearly thinking "gently caress the Police" but didn't want to guess it.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

in_cahoots posted:

It was funny though, because the guy on the left was clearly thinking "gently caress the Police" but didn't want to guess it.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What was the clue? "Initials for the title of this controversial political song by a pioneering rap group does not stand for File Transfer Protocol."

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

escape artist posted:

What was the clue? "Initials for the title of this controversial political song by a pioneering rap group does not stand for File Transfer Protocol."

A Public Enemy song with a three word title and an anti-authority message.

It might not have said anti-authority, but something similar.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
yeah my mind absolutely went to "gently caress tha police" for that clue. I really hope Terri from Princeton holds off Aggie Tucker today. Think of all the chocolate she can buy with her winnings!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I'm pretty sure I said "What is gently caress the Police" out loud before realizing there was no way that could be the answer.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Piper posted:

I really hope Terri from Princeton holds off Aggie Tucker today. Think of all the chocolate she can buy with her winnings!

She wins and its not even close.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Various people posted:

gently caress tha Police

It still would've been wrong because that's by NWA, not Public Enemy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's why it was said "it was no possible way it could have been the answer"

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's the beauty of it, though. Whoever constructed that question is a genius.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

There has been a bleeped answer before, right. I'm not imagining this, am I?

Not thinking of Jennings answering "hoe" once.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

WarEternal posted:

That's the beauty of it, though. Whoever constructed that question is a genius.

Yeah. They DEFINITELY knew what they were doing when they crafted that clue.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
So what would happen if someone was in the red going into FJ on the second day of a tournament final? Would that amount be subtracted from the first day total?

Also, did Alex say what happened to his hand?

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Oh Tucker.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Some of the high-value questions (and the final) were hilariously easy tonight, and yet these fancy-school-attending people totally whiffed on them.

Hong Kong? Really?

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Well I couldn't come up with Gibraltar but there were so many questions tonight that I couldn't believe at least one them didn't know.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Officer Sandvich posted:

Well I couldn't come up with Gibraltar but there were so many questions tonight that I couldn't believe at least one them didn't know.

British taking stuff from Spain? It has to be Gibraltar. Especially since it's only 2-some miles in area or whatever.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Officer Sandvich posted:

Well I couldn't come up with Gibraltar

Yeah but you weren't on the show

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I liked when Tucker thought the Hermitage was in Nashville.

edit; actually, hilariously enough, there IS a Hermitage museum in Nashville. Still, my brain jumped for the more obvious one.

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone
Arthur Chu gave a long interview with the A.V. Club. Here's what he had to say about buzzer strategy:

Arthur Chu posted:

What they told us is that you need to keep hammering on that button because even though buzzing in too early locks you out for half a second, it’s not cumulative. It’s just a half-second delay. If you’re still hitting the button rapid fire, you will buzz in as soon as that delay expires. Since human beings are fallible and none of us will ever exactly hit the moment the light turns on, you probably have a better chance if you err a little bit on the side of buzzing in early, but you keep on hammering it so you get in as soon as that lockout expires. That’s why the rapid-fire clicking that gets on so many people’s nerves is a good idea. I think the majority of contestants do it. I just think the majority of them were subtler about it than I was. I was just so wired that you can actually see me clenching the buzzer next to the mic, and people can hear the springs in it. And that’s one of the things that gave me a reputation for being kind of a crazy person.

So should you wait for the light to buzz in, or do as Chu suggests and start spamming the button as soon as possible?

If you spam the button before the light, I suppose you'd lose, on average, 1/4th of a second. If you're lucky, your lock-out would expire just as the light flashes and you lose no time. If you're unlucky, your lock-out would expire almost the full half-second after the light flashes. On average, that would be a quarter-second, not accounting for inefficiency due to the speed at which your thumb can buzz in repeatedly.

In theory, you might say if a person's reflexes give them a reaction time longer than a quarter-second, you're better off spamming the button before the light. Ken Jennings didn't do this. He claimed he didn't even react to the light. He said he got the rhythm of how long it takes after Alex finishes speaking before the light flashes. Ken could basically anticipate the light, and therefore get in very quickly--presumably with less than a quarter-second delay.

What do you think, is it better to spam the button from the beginning, or not?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Holy poo poo did Chu play against some truly loving awful players today.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

zVxTeflon posted:

Holy poo poo did Chu play against some truly loving awful players today.
Where are you located that the episodes are airing so early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Virgin begins with an I? :laugh: