Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I would drop the Molten Birth and Foundry Street Denizen, leaving the deck GW with a small red splash. That would make the mana a lot easier - especially with taplands, having 1R on turn 2 for Pyromancer is way easier than R on turn 1.

Even though you're making a lot of creatures in one turn, Foundry Street Denizen is still really uninspiring. He's a really bad card if you draw him late, you don't really have the support to back up his early aggression, and for all the work you're putting into him all you're really going to get out is "trades with their weakest creature". Molten Birth, while fun, is a real stretch manawise and you'll get better consistency without it.

As for cards to add, Rootborn Defenses protects you from sweepers while also advancing your board, while things like Dynacharge can let you punch through a lot of damage if you've built up a critical mass of tokens. Guttersnipe is also an option if you want more grindy advantage, considering how many of your creatures are actually spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Jabor posted:

I would drop the Molten Birth and Foundry Street Denizen, leaving the deck GW with a small red splash. That would make the mana a lot easier - especially with taplands, having 1R on turn 2 for Pyromancer is way easier than R on turn 1.

Even though you're making a lot of creatures in one turn, Foundry Street Denizen is still really uninspiring. He's a really bad card if you draw him late, you don't really have the support to back up his early aggression, and for all the work you're putting into him all you're really going to get out is "trades with their weakest creature". Molten Birth, while fun, is a real stretch manawise and you'll get better consistency without it.

As for cards to add, Rootborn Defenses protects you from sweepers while also advancing your board, while things like Dynacharge can let you punch through a lot of damage if you've built up a critical mass of tokens. Guttersnipe is also an option if you want more grindy advantage, considering how many of your creatures are actually spells.

Ya know, when you put it that way, I can see what you mean about the Denizen. I've had him pull through on a couple occasions, but I probably would have been better off with Dynacharge. That's a great suggestion, since it sometimes boils down to having a lot of tokens, but no real power behind them.

I was looking at Rootborn Defenses as a possible swap and it makes sense versus Molten Birth. I've blown Boros Charms making my creatures indestructible only to have the game end with the opponent under four life. (The downside of the charms, using them for the wrong reasons.) Maybe having it handy will allow me to wait and see on the Boros Charms.

I may just throw a Guttersnipe in there as well. An alternate win condition never hurt anybody.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks! Thanks Jabor.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 24, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

NofrikinfuN posted:

If this is directed at me, I genuinely didn't intend to sound snarky or defensive. I just don't have much in the way of resources. Honestly, even Advent of the Wurm isn't outside my budget, I just tend to stretch a ticket as far as it will go.

Mostly I just wanted to share the build because I've had fun with it and maybe get opinions on mana. I understand budget junk builds aren't a super hot topic on this thread.

tl;dr - Apologies, didn't mean to sound snarky.

Definitely was not you.
I'm night crew, so I usually hit the thread after the drama has died down. Scroll up a bit and you'll see it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Ok, here's the B/R aggro deck I'm thinking of running Saturday at Game Day. I'm willing to spend some money on changes, but I have no current sideboard to speak of. I'm thinking at minimum, i'll put another couple of rakdos charms and slaughter games in the sideboard, maybe some more Dreadbores.

3 Blood Crypt
12 Mountain
3 Mutavault
3 Temple of Malice
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Shock
4 Thoughtseize
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
1 Lightning Strike
2 Rakdos Charm
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
3 Skullcrack
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Guttersnipe
4 Fanatic of Mogis
2 Slaughter Games

Sideboard:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

kizudarake posted:

Ok, here's the B/R aggro deck I'm thinking of running Saturday at Game Day. I'm willing to spend some money on changes, but I have no current sideboard to speak of. I'm thinking at minimum, i'll put another couple of rakdos charms and slaughter games in the sideboard, maybe some more Dreadbores.

3 Blood Crypt
12 Mountain
3 Mutavault
3 Temple of Malice
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Shock
4 Thoughtseize
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
1 Lightning Strike
2 Rakdos Charm
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
3 Skullcrack
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Guttersnipe
4 Fanatic of Mogis
2 Slaughter Games

My first thought is that the Burning Trees don't seem to be doing anything. You can pretty much chain a Crackler or a Shock off of them, but not much else. Ideally you'd be able to throw any of your 2-drop guys out from them. Maybe some Young Pyros in place of either them or the Rakdos Charms, which is really more of a sideboard card. Game 1 it's good vs. Master of Waves and to a lesser extent, the stupid control decks that use Elixir or Immortality, but that's pretty much it.

You might want Searing Blood over Shock, or at least in the sideboard for decks that have any sort of creature presence. 5 damage for RR is pretty decent and it's really good vs. any sort of weenie aggro game.

12 guys at 3-cost seems pretty high. I'd drop the Guttersnipes; it really doesn't look like they'll be doing much damage. You definitely want Mizzium Mortars - if not main then definitely side. A full playset between main and side is probably good - it's the only reliable way to deal with Blood Barons. I don't know how your meta is, but everyone seems to be going back to 3+color where I am, so Burning Earth might be able to do some work again.

These cards might require you to adjust your lands a little, but I think they're worth it. Spike Jester is brutal turn 2 after a turn 1 Crackler if they don't have any blockers yet. In the event that you get drawn into the long game, you might want some combination of Mogis and/or Exava. A 4/4 first strike, haste for 4 is awesome. She's single-handedly won me games just by me sticking Madcap Skills on her; they need 7 toughness just to absorb her first strike plus 4 power on the survivors to deal with her, so if they do block and kill her, you've probably just 4-for-2'd or better them. Last time I played, I ended up 6-for-0ing him with a well-placed Doom Blade. :getin:

Mogis is inevitability vs. slow decks that can't deal with him once he's out, which is most of them. Even if they board wipe, he shocks them every turn, which turns lethal pretty quickly when they're already under 10 life by turn 3.

Here's my Rakdos aggro deck, which has always done pretty well if you want any ideas/to steal it. If I happen to get another Mogis, I might try him over one of the kill spells in the main or side. I've only actually seen him twice so far, and have yet to play him, so I can't really speak to how much help he is - I killed the guy turn 4 the last time I saw him, and he got turn 1 Thoughtseized the first time.

http://deckbox.org/sets/551751

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

My first thought is that the Burning Trees don't seem to be doing anything. You can pretty much chain a Crackler or a Shock off of them, but not much else. Ideally you'd be able to throw any of your 2-drop guys out from them. Maybe some Young Pyros in place of either them or the Rakdos Charms, which is really more of a sideboard card. Game 1 it's good vs. Master of Waves and to a lesser extent, the stupid control decks that use Elixir or Immortality, but that's pretty much it.

You might want Searing Blood over Shock, or at least in the sideboard for decks that have any sort of creature presence. 5 damage for RR is pretty decent and it's really good vs. any sort of weenie aggro game.

12 guys at 3-cost seems pretty high. I'd drop the Guttersnipes; it really doesn't look like they'll be doing much damage. You definitely want Mizzium Mortars - if not main then definitely side. A full playset between main and side is probably good - it's the only reliable way to deal with Blood Barons. I don't know how your meta is, but everyone seems to be going back to 3+color where I am, so Burning Earth might be able to do some work again.

These cards might require you to adjust your lands a little, but I think they're worth it. Spike Jester is brutal turn 2 after a turn 1 Crackler if they don't have any blockers yet. In the event that you get drawn into the long game, you might want some combination of Mogis and/or Exava. A 4/4 first strike, haste for 4 is awesome. She's single-handedly won me games just by me sticking Madcap Skills on her; they need 7 toughness just to absorb her first strike plus 4 power on the survivors to deal with her, so if they do block and kill her, you've probably just 4-for-2'd or better them. Last time I played, I ended up 6-for-0ing him with a well-placed Doom Blade. :getin:

Mogis is inevitability vs. slow decks that can't deal with him once he's out, which is most of them. Even if they board wipe, he shocks them every turn, which turns lethal pretty quickly when they're already under 10 life by turn 3.

Here's my Rakdos aggro deck, which has always done pretty well if you want any ideas/to steal it. If I happen to get another Mogis, I might try him over one of the kill spells in the main or side. I've only actually seen him twice so far, and have yet to play him, so I can't really speak to how much help he is - I killed the guy turn 4 the last time I saw him, and he got turn 1 Thoughtseized the first time.

http://deckbox.org/sets/551751

Aside from the kill spells, and the pain seers, that's mostly my current Rakdos Aggro deck. I'm kinda wanting to move away from it, as, at Friday's FNM, everyone was running Rakdos midrange, except for three people-me, a uwr control deck, and a uwg goodstuff.dec using Kiora, JaceAoT and elspeth. You're right about the BTEs not doing much good as is, I should change the shredfreaks out for legion loyalists if I'm going to do that. I think I might go back to my old mono red deck and adjust from there.
I was running the guttersnipes partly for their shocking ability, since I'm running so many instants and sorceries.

Here's my mono-red build from when I ran it last.

18 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Shock
4 Ash Zealot
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
1 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis

Sideboard:

4 Frostburn Weird
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Burning Earth
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I love it when people ask for deck help then get defensive when people suggest changes.

I wasn't defensive of the changes, but rather trying to understand their reasoning. I gave my reasoning for why I wanted to remove something and people got angry that I said I'd remove that item, but didn't try to help beyond calling me a moron in more than necessary words.

People in these threads have a way of intentionally using language that is meant to demean and otherwise make someone look/feel like a moron. Rather than just saying your recommendation and possibly explaining the rationing behind it they use passive agressive comments (which ironically spurred a 2 page witch hunt for the same exact thing in the other thread) and act like jerks. Its the same as the guy getting angry for me mentioning I like supporting my LGS. He read 3 layers deep into something that wasn't there to conclude I was calling him out for not supporting his LGS, and begins insulting me. That wasn't the intention...just explaining why I went to my LGS looking for cards, and I did it without being a dick.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

OssiansFolly posted:

I wasn't defensive of the changes, but rather trying to understand their reasoning. I gave my reasoning for why I wanted to remove something and people got angry that I said I'd remove that item, but didn't try to help beyond calling me a moron in more than necessary words.

People in these threads have a way of intentionally using language that is meant to demean and otherwise make someone look/feel like a moron. Rather than just saying your recommendation and possibly explaining the rationing behind it they use passive agressive comments (which ironically spurred a 2 page witch hunt for the same exact thing in the other thread) and act like jerks. Its the same as the guy getting angry for me mentioning I like supporting my LGS. He read 3 layers deep into something that wasn't there to conclude I was calling him out for not supporting his LGS, and begins insulting me. That wasn't the intention...just explaining why I went to my LGS looking for cards, and I did it without being a dick.

Isn't bringing poo poo up again a day later the same thing that got you probated back in December?

Quit derailing poo poo, and comment on decks, bro.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 24, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kizudarake posted:

Isn't bringing poo poo up again a day later the same thing that got you probated back in December?

Quit derailing poo poo, and comment on decks, bro.

To be fair, that other guy brought it up and he responded.

But yeah, pretty much this. Let it go man. If people bring stuff up after it's over, ignore it, or take it to PMs if you absolutely have to respond. We gave you suggestions, and reasons for them, and you used some of them and ignored others. That's how deckbuilding is; you can't use it all. I'm pretty sure we're not losing any sleep over it either way.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Did you glance over the red deck I posted in my last reply to you? I really want to figure out the right amount of black to splash in to open up thoughtseize, dreadbore and slaughter games, without loving my main goal, which is to take them from 20 to 0 by turn 5. I may say gently caress it and just replace something like lightning strike with madcap skills, but I may also dump the ash zealots for Impetuous sunchaser, to be able to chain off the BTEs better.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

To be fair, that other guy brought it up and he responded.

But yeah, pretty much this. Let it go man. If people bring stuff up after it's over, ignore it, or take it to PMs if you absolutely have to respond. We gave you suggestions, and reasons for them, and you used some of them and ignored others. That's how deckbuilding is; you can't use it all. I'm pretty sure we're not losing any sleep over it either way.

Fair enough. Thanks for the advice.

(Not sure why people keep saying I got probated...people are confusing me with someone else...)

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I played Firedancer Burn at FNM and lost my first match to a janky RW burn deck that used Elixir of Immortality and that Enchantment that gives you a 4/4 Angel whenever you gain four or more life in a turn. He surprised me game 1, I beat him game 2, then he dropped a Reckoner three straight turns in game 3 :negative:

Then I went on a streak facing bad deck after bad deck and ended the night 4-1. Highlight was a game against a sliver deck that I absolutely steamrolled with Firedancer. Dude couldn't catch a break.

Anyone else playing Firedancer Burn? The results are awesome if the Satyr hits the table, but otherwise it's a lovely burn deck.

OssiansFolly posted:

(Not sure why people keep saying I got probated...people are confusing me with someone else...)

Your rap sheet says you got probated in December for always trying to get the last word and not letting things go. It was only for 6 hours so you might not have noticed.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 24, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kizudarake posted:

Did you glance over the red deck I posted in my last reply to you? I really want to figure out the right amount of black to splash in to open up thoughtseize, dreadbore and slaughter games, without loving my main goal, which is to take them from 20 to 0 by turn 5. I may say gently caress it and just replace something like lightning strike with madcap skills, but I may also dump the ash zealots for Impetuous sunchaser, to be able to chain off the BTEs better.

Disclaimer: I'm far from an expert on deckbuilding. I usually make some pretty good changes though.

That said, if you're deadset on the Burning-Trees, which are kinda iffy now thanks to Bile Blight and Drown in Sorrow (the main reason I'm worried about playing Rakdos Aggro over my Golgari deck at game day,) I'd make sure you can chain some good things off of them. That eliminates Ash Zealot. If you are going to play black, I'd drop a Mountain or 2 for Swamps. I think Slaughter Games would probably be a good 1/2-of main with more in the side. The main problem is it can't hit Mutavault, which is all some decks to kill you with. Thoughtseize is an obvious inclusion, maybe 2/2 main/side. You don't want too many main diluting your damage output, but you don't want to die to Supreme Verdict every time either.

Other good black options: maybe 2 Exava main,2 Mogis side. A Dreadbore or 2 somewhere is definitely good. Honestly, the best thing would be to find some combination of all these cards that look good (try to keep your 3 drops around 6 or less and 4s to 4 or less) and play around with it. See how long it takes to get to 20 and make adjustments.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

Bosushi! posted:

I played Firedancer Burn at FNM and lost my first match to a janky RW burn deck that used Elixir of Immortality and that Enchantment that gives you a 4/4 Angel whenever you gain four or more life in a turn. He surprised me game 1, I beat him game 2, then he dropped a Reckoner three straight turns in game 3 :negative:

Then I went on a streak facing bad deck after bad deck and ended the night 4-1. Highlight was a game against a sliver deck that I absolutely steamrolled with Firedancer. Dude couldn't catch a break.

Anyone else playing Firedancer Burn? The results are awesome if the Satyr hits the table, but otherwise it's a lovely burn deck.

Your rap sheet says you got probated in December for always trying to get the last word and not letting things go. It was only for 6 hours so you might not have noticed.

What deck list are you running? I love RW burn but I've been playing Firedancer in the sideboard, mostly only due to not testing it out (and I've been tweaking my U/W Ephara deck more). My mainboard has Young Pyromancers, Chandra's Phoenix and 2 Stormbreath Dragons creature-wise, but I might swap YP for Firedancer mainboard if it turns out well. In what little I've tried him, he's always been just a bit too slow for my tastes. Young Pyro's nice because it gives you a decent board state to work with while doing what you normally do, but if you've got nothing to Firedance then he's just sort of a waste. Do you just play both?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Soothing Cacophony posted:

What deck list are you running? I love RW burn but I've been playing Firedancer in the sideboard, mostly only due to not testing it out (and I've been tweaking my U/W Ephara deck more). My mainboard has Young Pyromancers, Chandra's Phoenix and 2 Stormbreath Dragons creature-wise, but I might swap YP for Firedancer mainboard if it turns out well. In what little I've tried him, he's always been just a bit too slow for my tastes. Young Pyro's nice because it gives you a decent board state to work with while doing what you normally do, but if you've got nothing to Firedance then he's just sort of a waste. Do you just play both?

I played against a guy that was running RW and had Firedancers and Searing Blood as his combo. As I was playing Murderhorse it didn't quite have the same effect as if I was playing a "normal" deck, but the combo was still fairly good. Turning a R1 burn spell for 2 damage into 3 damage to the opponent and 3 more damage to another creature can be pretty strong.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

OssiansFolly posted:

This is why.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
So, I ran the below list at a small tournament this past weekend and though I only went 1-2, the round I won were against my worst matchup (WU Control).

Game 1 Match 1 was pretty long. I got a bit mana screwed early on, but I got out an Underworld Connections turn 3 on the play which let me eventually get my fourth land after two turns having to discard a card. He had a Jace, Architect of Thought out and a couple Sphinx's Revelations and eventually tapped out for an Elspeth. I think I got out an Erebos and possibly another creature at that point, I know I took a few hits from Elspeth tokens before killing her with Hero's Downfall and him having to wipe the board. I rebuilt a few times and ended up dropping all four of my Gray Merchants on semi-consecutive turns, eeking out the win. Second game I sided in my Lifebane Zombies and ended up taking out an Archangel of Thune, hitting a second Archangel with a Hero's Downfall at EOT the turn he cast it, then winning with creatures on the board and maybe a Gray Merchant or so.

Match 2 was against a guy mainboarding Blood Barons and that WU flier that detains when it comes into play. I'd had a match against a similar deck online, but overall the strategy took a bit to work out. Game 1 of Match 2 I made a misplay and forced discard of a Ghost Council rather than an Ultimate price (I had out Erebos and he ended up killing my Desecration Demon). Game 2 he top-decked Blood Baron after I had desiccated his hand with 2x Thoughtseize, 2x Duress, and a Lifebane Zombie. Sucks, but it happens.

Match 3 was against a white weenie deck I had helped tweak the previous Friday, so I knew what was coming. I did great in Game 1 but lost two to mana screw and 3 to a Fated Retribution after over-extending.

4 Desecration Demon
4 Herald of Torment
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
4 Pack Rat
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
3 Agent of the Fates
4 Underworld Connections

3 Gild
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Thoughtseize

4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
20 Swamp

Sideboard
4 Duress
4 Lifebane Zombie
4 Bile Blight
3 Pithing Needle

I made a lot of tweaks to it the understanding of Mono Black's worst matchups and the meta I was expecting. The main-decked Gilds were because with the BNG Gods in the mix, I know it's a lot more likely that I'll see at least one God in play and if not, it can get chucked to the Rats game 1. Erebos in the main is because life gain has become a critical element of a lot more decks than just WU Control and Mono Black (Courser of Kruphix, Warleader's Helix, mono-white to name a few). Sinking half my life into card draw is helpful too. Agent of the Fates is there for the combo with Herald of Torment and because the Deathtouch will let it trade with anything bigger from WG(R) Monsters or other aggro decks. I play Herald of Torment over Nightveil Spector for several reasons: if he gets cast as a bestow he sticks around on the board after a Supreme Verdict, he eats Nightveil Spectors for breakfast, he's a better beater early game, and he makes any smaller creature late game into an immediate threat. A late Nightveil Spector is worthless most of the time.

My first round opponent was so annoyed that I was playing Erebos in the main, especially since he hit the battlefield midway through game 1 and blocked about 3 potential life gains from Sphinx's Revelation. He went as far as calling it a janky build. He ended up dropping after the first round out of frustration that I'm playing a build he wasn't expecting, but that's control players for you.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

tirinal posted:

What is the most competitive U/G control deck these days in standard? Simic is fun, but I'd prefer something without counters, and I'm trying to find a home for a bunch of Kioras I have sitting around in MTGO.

I play Green splash Blue Devotion. I'm riding it through the end of this PTQ season and Standard GPs. Numbers and Sideboard still up for grabs, notably Kiora's Follower vs. Voyaging Satyr, and the number of Coursers and Primordials to play.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/std-devotion-to-simic/

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Bosushi! posted:

One of the guys at my LGS who made the RWB Midrange deck ran Firedancer Burn last Friday, and as far as I know he got at least 2 wins, because I had to leave early. He probably went to the Top 4 because him or his brother always do usually.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Here's a thing I have been testing:

1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Ad Nauseam
2 Grim Tutor
4 Infernal Tutor
4 Diabolic Intent
4 Cabal Therapy
1 Xantid Swarm
4 Veteran Explorer
4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Sensei's Divining Top
4 Dark Ritual
4 Culling the Weak
4 Lotus Petal
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Verdant Catacombos
4 Bayou
4 Swamp
1 Forest
1 Dryad Arbor

Some dudes on the Storm boards came up with this list. It's fast enough and pretty resilient. It's cool to bluff nic-fit with the Bayou->Veteran Explorer opening, and then Culling the Weak into a billion mana and winning on the spot. There is another version that has a singleton mountain in it to support Past in Flames and an entomb package to do things like bin business, past in flames it all back, grab a thing you binned with Eternal Witness, bin a narcomoeba so you can flashback therapy or Culling, stuff like that.

I'm having a hell of a time coming up with a sideboard, though. Storm decks are usually pretty tight maindeck anyway, and this seems to be the same. Probably some number of Xantid Swarms and Abrupt Decays, but beyond that I'm not sure. Also, a Natural Order into Progenitus sideboard plan seems extra hilarious.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

I play magic casually with my co-workers and was looking to make some sort of ramp deck. The wolf run ramp deck appeals to me and I would like to expand it for "modern". My coworkers don't netdeck so the power level doesn't need to be that high but I feel that this deck, as it is, would not perform that great against them.

I intend to ramp into Primeval Titan and then use my mana on Wolf Run or Banefire. My logic was that having Slagstorms (or pyroclasm) and bolts would be useful to buy time until I can drop a titan. The problem I have with them is that they kill my mana dorks, so the Overgrown Battlements are there because they can survive it.

I'm happy with the lands, titan, and burn spells I just have no idea what to put in between. Should I look at other creatures like Wall of Roots? Sakura Tribe Elder? Are spells like Pyroclasm a bad idea in a ramp deck? Are the better sorceries to use for mana acceleration? It also seems like this deck dies to any sort of control without Thrun and would have trouble against faster decks.

Deck: Titan Ramp

//Lands
6 Forest
3 Kessig Wolf Run
6 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground
2 Treetop Village

//Spells
2 Banefire
4 Explore
4 Farseek
4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Slagstorm

//Creatures
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Overgrown Battlement
4 Primeval Titan
1 Thrun, the Last Troll

Display deck statistics

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
So, I've decided to start playing MTGO standard, since I'm bored of the limited environment right now.

I'm trying out Murdergoats, since it doesn't really rely on Mutavault, have Master of Waves, and isn't Mono Black Control. I liked the initial list, but wanted to try out adding White to the mix after playtesting the RB version, for cards like Assemble the Legion, Elspeth Sun's Champion, and eventually Brimaz when he comes down in price.

Deck: Red White Black Murder Tokens

//SPELLS
3 Dreadbore
3 Molten Birth
3 Hero's Downfall
1 Anger of the Gods
3 Lightning Strike
3 Warleader's Helix

//CREATURES
3 Young Pyromancer
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Tymaret, the Murder King
3 Akroan Horse

//ARTIFACTS
3 Trading Post
2 Ratchet Bomb

//ENCHANTMENTS
1 Assemble the Legion

//MANA
4 Blood Crypt
4 Sacred Foundry
2 Temple of Malice
2 Temple of Triumph
7 Mountain
5 Swamp

//PLANESWALKERS
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

//Sideboard
2 Pithing Needle
3 Slaughter Games
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Thoughtseize
2 Drown in Sorrow
3 Revoke Existence
1 Assemble the Legion

Display deck statistics

I playtested this over the weekend to pretty good results, although I'm getting steamrolled in some matchups (like Mono Black Control).

Some of my changes from the RB version:

• Removal of Doom Blade, it just seems like every match I played it would be a blank against Nightveil Specter or Desecration Demon, for instance.
  • Removal of Mizzium Mortars. Maybe I'm underrating this card, but it was a stone blank when I needed to remove a large creature, and couldn't go to the opponent's face. Both Warleader's Helix and Lightning Strike can go to the opponent's face, which is something that I really felt the deck needed (Purphoros or Tymaret would get the opponent down within burn range, but I couldn't attack or they'd remove a piece of my on board burn)
  • Elspeth, Sun's Champion adds some late game to the deck, where the turn she comes down she'll do 3 damage and put 3 1/1 bodies on board, which seems good. Also the only planeswalker I own online at the moment.
  • Singleton Assemble the Legion on the mainboard. When this resolves with Purphoros out, it really adds up damage over time.
  • I tried shoving a few Prophetic Prisms into the deck but ultimately there isn't any room. It was a pretty good durdle with Trading Post, helped with mana and cycled, but turned out not being very good.

Sideboard, I'm running Thoughtseize/Slaughter Games to remove combo pieces/dsphere/etc. Drown in Sorrow has been pretty bad (not even sure what matchup it is for - aggro?) and Anger of the Gods has been really great.

Revoke Existence is on the board just due to it being a great removal spell with all the Gods running around standard, Dsphere, etc.

So, any comments/critique would be great. This is my first constructed deck since I was a teenager, I liked the original list and it is fun to play when you can get the combo working.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I've been going through my cards, considering switching my Murdergoats deck over to a more R/B control build due to a slight lack of consistency, but I'm still trying to figure out, among other things, what the hell a good finisher would even be that doesn't just make the deck mono-black. Rakdos' Return is an obvious, with a Stormbreath or two. But no ideas otherwise. It seems R/B lacks the much harder to stop stuff like Aetherling or Elspeth, and I just don't have the money to drop on getting all the B/W lands, Elspeth, Blood Baron, etc. Maybe Mogis?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

legoman727 posted:

I've been going through my cards, considering switching my Murdergoats deck over to a more R/B control build due to a slight lack of consistency, but I'm still trying to figure out, among other things, what the hell a good finisher would even be that doesn't just make the deck mono-black. Rakdos' Return is an obvious, with a Stormbreath or two. But no ideas otherwise. It seems R/B lacks the much harder to stop stuff like Aetherling or Elspeth, and I just don't have the money to drop on getting all the B/W lands, Elspeth, Blood Baron, etc. Maybe Mogis?

If you're going full blown control, Mogis is certainly an option, but quite a slow one. Albeit, he helps you with incidental damage throughout the game.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Stormbreath kinda messes with everything topping out at 4 (and allowing the deck to run less lands for more stuff), but Rakdos's Return is a card I've been contemplating putting back in for awhile now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yas posted:

I play magic casually with my co-workers and was looking to make some sort of ramp deck. The wolf run ramp deck appeals to me and I would like to expand it for "modern". My coworkers don't netdeck so the power level doesn't need to be that high but I feel that this deck, as it is, would not perform that great against them.

I intend to ramp into Primeval Titan and then use my mana on Wolf Run or Banefire. My logic was that having Slagstorms (or pyroclasm) and bolts would be useful to buy time until I can drop a titan. The problem I have with them is that they kill my mana dorks, so the Overgrown Battlements are there because they can survive it.

I'm happy with the lands, titan, and burn spells I just have no idea what to put in between. Should I look at other creatures like Wall of Roots? Sakura Tribe Elder? Are spells like Pyroclasm a bad idea in a ramp deck? Are the better sorceries to use for mana acceleration? It also seems like this deck dies to any sort of control without Thrun and would have trouble against faster decks.

Display deck statistics

A few of us are playing some variation of this deck. The Wonder Weapon wrote a really good article about it on Mtgprice.com not too long ago. Mine's more of a combo deck than anything, but it's ridiculously explosive and a ton of fun. I can Genesis Wave my entire deck into play on turn 3 with a good start and a little luck. The secret: Utopia Sprawl and Fertile Grounds. Mana dorks are a lot harder to kill when they're not dorks at all. I probably should add a Banefire or 2, at least in the side. I've thought about it before but for some reason I always talked myself out of it. The deck itself isn't great vs. control, but I've beaten it just by having so many threats that they couldn't stop them all. I've won by having Tooth and Nail countered then casting Primetime on the same turn and beating them down for like, 30 trample next turn with Wolf Run. I'm also probably going to try Chord of Calling at some point - it's not as strong, but the instant speed means they need to be able to answer Chord on their turn and then the real threat on your turn.

Pyroclasm is pretty anti-ramp more often than not, as it usually kills all your dorks. Firespout might be a better choice for you - you can choose flyers, groundlings, or both.

There's plenty of great sideboard cards for control, too. Obviously Thrun, like you said. A resolved Dosan really hoses control if you're about to go off. Vexing Shusher, Guttural Response, Autumn's Veil, Summoner's Trap if you have a higher ratio of creatures than I do, are all really good too.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

bhsman posted:

Stormbreath kinda messes with everything topping out at 4 (and allowing the deck to run less lands for more stuff), but Rakdos's Return is a card I've been contemplating putting back in for awhile now.

Lightning Volley? Considering the sheer amount of tokens this deck produces, having all of them tap for 1 damage to the face or to clear the field surely can be a decent finisher.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Yas posted:

wolf run ramp deck

Sakura Tribe Elders are pretty ownage and fill the role of what Solemn Simulacrum did when this deck was in standard. They also interact fairly favorably with pyroclasm effects, which I highly recommend you play. Wall of Roots could be nice, as well as Veteran Explorers if this is truly casual and you don't really care about making it format legal. You could also drop the treetop villages for Inkmoth Nexuses to go for the poison kill.

Another way you can go is making this more base-green and following the mono-green devotion plan that has seen some play in Modern. This deck wants to use Nykthos to fart out huge genesis waves or an early titan and then go to town. I was playing a version with a single Stomping Ground to power Banefires and Kessig Wolf Runs as my wincons.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yas posted:

Deck: Titan Ramp

//Lands
6 Forest
3 Kessig Wolf Run
6 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Stomping Ground
2 Treetop Village

//Spells
2 Banefire
4 Explore
4 Farseek
4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Slagstorm

//Creatures
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Overgrown Battlement
4 Primeval Titan
1 Thrun, the Last Troll

Display deck statistics

You should probably make sure your group is okay with you playing Green Sun's Zenith, since it's banned in Modern.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

You should probably make sure your group is okay with you playing Green Sun's Zenith, since it's banned in Modern.

If not, replace with Chord of calling. Two extra G mana and it's not a Zenith so it's not shuffled back, but it's the closest thing and still pretty damned reasonable.

e; but it's an instant and has convoke, so you can do it at end of opponent's turn.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Hello all, getting into MtG over the last couple months, still fairly new, but I've been having a lot of fun fine tuning this deck and figured hey, why not post it here.

I believe this counts as "Block Standard/Casual." It's G/W and built around the heroic mechanic. I know I shouldn't have this many 1xs and 2xs, it's mostly because I don't have more than 1 or 2 of the cards that should really be filling out this deck.

Heroes of the Sun God

I will say, though, that throwing down counters like hotcakes is some of the best fun I've had with games all year. Thoughts?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
With the amount of Minotaurs in Boros, and with the RW and WB Gods due in the near future, could there possibly be a future in a RWB Minotaur deck?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Alris posted:

With the amount of Minotaurs in Boros, and with the RW and WB Gods due in the near future, could there possibly be a future in a RWB Minotaur deck?

Dunno, all the lands are out now so it's probably working now as well as it ever will. Reckoner is probably the only constructed playable Minotaur from RTR.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Dunno, all the lands are out now so it's probably working now as well as it ever will. Reckoner is probably the only constructed playable Minotaur from RTR.

I would play the poo poo out of Boros Battleshaper if he was a 3/3 5 drop. All the coolest poo poo in RtR was too expensive to play in constructed. :(

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ok so my Monday Magic Standard Tournament went OK. I went 2-2 with Murdergoats.

First game was against G monsters. I drew too much removal for him to ramp and get anything out. All 3 games were perfect with mana and Purphoros and 2 Young Pyromancers on turn 4.

Match 2 didn't go as well. Played a B devotion deck. I got like zero removal and stalled out at 3 mana. I would get out tokens to buy time against the Desecration Demons, but still not enough land. Both games were basically the same...he Thoughtseized my Purphoros turn 1 and then Thoughtseized AND Duressed away my Young Pyromancer and Dreadbore. At that point I had no mana and no stalls.

Third game was against W heroic devotion. Again I topped out at 3 land and didn't get removal...1 Ratchet Bomb and a Doom Blade was all I had both games. Terrible draw luck again.

Last match was against a U/W heroic deck. His deck was well crafted. He got me down to 2 health first game, and then I top decked a Dreadbore to get rid of his flying 6/6 Fabled Hero. At that point I could discard and start gaining health with Trading post. It was good news because at this point I had a Horse out, 2 Young Pyromancers and like six 1/1 tokens. I attacked him down. Game 2 he played the same song and dance and I removed his creatures as the deck was meant to. Had to Diabolic Tutor for a Purphoros, but once I got him out there were 2 Horses and a Trading Post. I had 6 health and he was at 24. He swept and and made a snark remark about about cheap rear end decks as he cleaned up.

Not sure what can be done to fix drawing or the land problems I have had. I am running the same deck as bhsman, but my luck must just be worse. Is anyone else running a different list than his?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

Not sure what can be done to fix drawing or the land problems I have had. I am running the same deck as bhsman, but my luck must just be worse. Is anyone else running a different list than his?

Honestly, it is just the nature of the deck. The reason it is Tier 2 is because it has a much lower consistency and slightly lower power than other major decks. Has anyone tried a variant that sideboards most removal for straight up hand disruption? 4 x Thoughtseize and 2 x Duress with YP and 4 x Hero's Downfall as the only removal.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How much are you mulliganing? Are you mulliganing?

There are a lot of hands that look sort of keepable, but actually aren't. It definitely sounds like you're keeping hands with no removal, which is something you should reconsider if you're in a matchup where you're absolutely going to need early removal in order to win.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Thank you for all of the suggestions. My group is fine with non-modern legal cards but that Genesis Wave / Tooth and Nail deck looks pretty sweet.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yas posted:

Thank you for all of the suggestions. My group is fine with non-modern legal cards but that Genesis Wave / Tooth and Nail deck looks pretty sweet.

It's so much fun to play and can do some really stupid things really fast. If you have Cockatrice, we can get on there sometime if you want and I'll show you how it works/playtest stuff/whatever. If you don't have it, it's available at woogerworks.com. I wouldn't recommend games with randoms based on what everyone I've ever talked to has said, but goons are always fun to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
Since BotG came out I've been wondering how I could make a Chromanticore deck work in Standard. As I'm pretty newly back to the game my Deckbuilding skills aren't the best yet, however I found the following list on CFB:

Deck: JVL's Challenge Accepted - Chromanticore

//Lands
2 Blood Crypt
1 Breeding Pool
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
4 Overgrown Tomb
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
2 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Temple of Plenty
1 Temple of Silence
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
3 Chromatic Lantern
2 Domri Rade
3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Gild
2 Rakdos's Return

//Creatures
3 Chromanticore
4 Courser of Kruphix
1 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Reaper of the Wilds
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Sylvan Primordial
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
3 Polukranos, World Eater
1 Sylvan Primordial
3 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
2 Xenagos, the Reveler
2 Merciless Eviction
3 Doom Blade
1 Golgari Charm

Display deck statistics

I've got pretty much everything needed for it, so looking to tweak it and then run it at Gameday.
What do you all think? I expect my meta to be mostly MonoB and variants of U/W control, and at least one R/G Monsters. I was the only MonoU player, so I shouldn't need to worry about that.

• Locked thread