Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The only lipsum generator you will ever need is http://slipsum.com/ (bad words, NSFW if you work for a church)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataraxia
Jun 15, 2001

Champion of nothing.
http://tlipsum.appspot.com/

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I've been using http://hipsteripsum.me/

Good to know there's more.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the best prank to pull would be to use one of those ipsum generators with the Zalgo Text Generator.

Freak the hell out of some clients.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A ticket came in...
And another...
And another...
And another...

I'm sat here with 17 fairly important tickets in my name, other people have gently caress all, my managers on holiday and his replacement isn't allowed to reassign tickets, so he's not a replacement, he's just a face to complain at.

E: While writing this i've acquired three more. I'm tempted to just bounce the drat calls.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Amateurs...

http://theipsumcollection.com/liquor-ipsum/

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

That's right... amateurs!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Westie posted:

That's right... amateurs!

Hah, the site is drunk. I can confirm that at some point in the past year it actually did work.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Ticket came in! The website was hacked, which somehow became my problem because they decided to fire the consultant who built it and never got around to finding a new one.

Old version of Joomla (and even older plugins) susceptible to exploits. Hooray.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Cavepimp posted:

Ticket came in! The website was hacked, which somehow became my problem because they decided to fire the consultant who built it and never got around to finding a new one.

Old version of Joomla (and even older plugins) susceptible to exploits. Hooray.

The people whom my group is the contractor for is specifying we use an old version of software with known exploits. On a public facing web app dealing with sensitive personal information. This can only go well.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

The people whom my group is the contractor for is specifying we use an old version of software with known exploits. On a public facing web app dealing with sensitive personal information. This can only go well.
Let me guess, they're aware of remote exploits in their version, yet they refuse to pay for an upgrade?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Khisanth Magus posted:

I hope you sent them a letter saying that they're hosed and you're not responsible for the inevitable.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Collateral Damage posted:

Let me guess, they're aware of remote exploits in their version, yet they refuse to pay for an upgrade?

It's a loving open source framework, they have just spontaneously gotten paranoid about open source and so are specifying we use the version that comes on the server, which is several years out of date with known exploits. We have told them this is a loving terrible idea, but they won't budge.

Oh, and this directly contradicts(and to a degree makes impossible that we use the "n-1" version of all libraries/frameworks/etc. Again, won't budge.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 24, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

It's a loving open source framework, they have just spontaneously gotten paranoid about open source and so are specifying we use the version that comes on the server, which is several years out of date with known exploits. We have told them this is a loving terrible idea, but they won't budge.

"Your opinions on network security are a massive liability that we will play no part in indulging."

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah. At that point you either get some signed liability waivers or better yet just back away from that deal slowly.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah. At that point you either get some signed liability waivers or better yet just back away from that deal slowly.

Ummm, this is an ongoing, multi million dollar contract, so waking away is nor really an option. We will be making them sign off on the fact they are forcing us to deploy this with a version with known exploits against our recommendations and protests though.

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
Central IT for where I work have installed a new IDS system. This system is currently randomly and intermittently cutting communications between internal clients and servers as well as external connections. This has made troubleshooting everything network related a million times more difficult. Earlier today is was killing DNS, then it killed my department's printers for a while, then Exchange, then back to some DNS.

Secondly, we had a person that was let go a few months back come back recently under a new lab in my dept. We grant each lab networked file storage. This user comes to me and states they do not have access to our file servers and has never had access since they've returned. I go to the user's computer, have them log in and there's the network storage. I open it up, get into the data without a problem. The user's response: "Oh I never tried because I couldn't log into (a non-lab unrelated system)." My response: "Welp."

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in.

It started out with some speed issues over the intranet. Turns out the account lead sent an email to the intranet provider to make some changes to the subnetting for the orgonization a few weeks ago. Im not sure what t hey did but they messed up something. I do a normal 4 ping test and get 7 replies.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Guess who's problem it isn't?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Caged posted:

Guess who's problem it isn't?

but it is my fault :(

God of Mischief
Oct 22, 2010

blackswordca posted:

but it is my fault :(

Right, but it isn't the account lead's problem.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in.

It started out with some speed issues over the intranet. Turns out the account lead sent an email to the intranet provider to make some changes to the subnetting for the orgonization a few weeks ago. Im not sure what t hey did but they messed up something. I do a normal 4 ping test and get 7 replies.

What address are you pinging? If you're getting more replies than pings sent, I'd bet it's a broadcast address somewhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

4 pings out and 7 back is a bit few to be broadcast I'd have thought.

Unless you're hitting a broadcast address on a link with a ton of packet loss on it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Some anycasted addresses come back with multiple replies, usually it will say (dup!) after those though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

Speaking of sticking with old versions, a previous governmental agency I worked for had an in-house developed application that was central to their organization. Said piece of software was based on J2EE, using a third party proprietary framework developed for WebLogic. The framework was now 4-5 years old and about 1 major and 5 minor versions behind the current version.

To save on costs and to catch up with current technology, the agency in question wanted to migrate from WebLogic to JBoss, however the version of the framework currently used was only compatible with WebLogic. The up to date version of the framework was compatible with both WebLogic, WebSphere and JBoss. However the application would not work with the new version, but require an estimate of thirty man-days of programming to be brought up to date and work with the new version of the framework. At the price of the consultants they hired to develop the application, this would come to roughly €20,000.

The other alternative would be to outright buy the source to the outdated version of the framework and adapt it in-house to work with JBoss. This would require no change to the application code, but would cost almost €150,000 to buy the rights to the outdated source plus an indeterminate amount of hours to adapt it to work with JBoss, with no guarantee that it would actually work in the end.

Guess which option they went with?

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 25, 2014

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Caged posted:

4 pings out and 7 back is a bit few to be broadcast I'd have thought.

Unless you're hitting a broadcast address on a link with a ton of packet loss on it.

A lot of devices don't respond to ICMP on the broadcast address. It would make it too easy to amplify traffic for malicious purposes.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Speaking of sticking with old versions, a previous governmental agency I worked for had an in-house developed application that was central to their organization. Said piece of software was based on J2EE, using a third party proprietary framework developed for WebLogic. The framework was now 4-5 years old and about 1 major and 5 minor versions behind the current version.

To save on costs and to catch up with current technology, the agency in question wanted to migrate from WebLogic to JBoss, however the version of the framework currently used was only compatible with WebLogic. The up to date version of the framework was compatible with both WebLogic, WebSphere and JBoss. However the application would not work with the new version, but require an estimate of thirty man-days of programming to be brought up to date and work with the new version of the framework. At the price of the consultants they hired to develop the application, this would come to roughly €20,000.

The other alternative would be to outright buy the source to the outdated version of the framework and adapt it in-house to work with JBoss. This would require no change to the application code, but would cost almost €150,000 to buy the rights to the outdated source plus an indeterminate amount of hours to adapt it to work with JBoss, with no guarantee that it would actually work in the end.

Guess which option they went with?

Option 3: Not update anything

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Option 4: lay offs!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The obvious answer is they blamed IT for their lack of foresight, canceled their raises, and chastised them for not being team players.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
A ticket came in...

Owner notices stapler not being used. Reason is that someone shoved about an inch of staples past the loading area, jamming it on the hinge and bending the spring. He pries at it for about four seconds then hands it to me saying "You can take over."

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

CDW posted:

A ticket came in...

Owner notices stapler not being used. Reason is that someone shoved about an inch of staples past the loading area, jamming it on the hinge and bending the spring. He pries at it for about four seconds then hands it to me saying "You can take over."

"I'll do the needful, sir."

*Throws stapler in trashcan.*

Quickest turnaround time for a ticket. Make sure you note this when you request your next raise.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

quote:

Laptop tag #84 has keys that have been moved around on the keyboard, as in: c and a switched, e and t switched, b and n switched. When I type in "baker" as the password, it says "the user name or password is incorrect." The laptop is in the library on the circulation desk.

This is from the teacher that teaches typing. She teaches typing, notices the keys have been rearranged, and still doesn't understand why her password is wrong. :psyduck:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SopWATh posted:

This is from the teacher that teaches typing. She teaches typing, notices the keys have been rearranged, and still doesn't understand why her password is wrong. :psyduck:
Have you recommended that she type her password into notepad to help aid in detecting errors?

I hope I never get to an age where I stop insight-fully looking at things.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

CDW posted:

A ticket came in...

Johnson! This stapler is tragically underutilized! What do you make of it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Erwin posted:

Johnson! This stapler is tragically underutilized! What do you make of it?

This? I can make a hat, or a broach, or a pterodactyl...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SopWATh posted:

Reminds me of the old "I can't log in while standing up" story.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Reminds me of the old "I can't log in while standing up" story.

Care to share? A Google search brings up a bunch of incontinence issues.

EDIT: Welp, there's a joke there...

SopWATh fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 25, 2014

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

SopWATh posted:

Care to share? A Google search brings up a bunch of incontinence issues.

EDIT: Welp, there's a joke there...

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/pearls/sec0510.html

Totally unrelated but this is my favorite "debugging" story:

http://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 25, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't remember the source now, but the gist of it was someone had switched M and N around on a user's keyboard. It didn't affect him though, because he'd normally be touch typing. However at some point for whatever reason he was standing up and thus looking down at the keyboard, and couldn't figure out why his password didn't work because he saw that he was typing it in correctly.

edit: ^^ That's the one. And the 500 mile email is definitely my favorite tech support story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I feel proud that I've developed the kind of sense the first link describes. There is always a reason.

Now, this comes after years of experience and if you add the hours together probably days or weeks or months of wasted time and thoughts of "this thing doesn't work. I'm a bad programmer, I'll never get it, the documentation always sucks, maybe I should become a lifeguard or Forrest ranger" when seemingly magic and impossible bugs and behaviors popped up.

Now a days I can reduce the hunt for bugs to a couple of minutes. Starting out programming video game mods probably helped, since those are kind of overly complex and impossible seeming for a starting programmer.

• Locked thread