Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
While we're on the subject of Windows Update in 8.1, what do I have to do to get it to notify me when there are updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

CubanMissile posted:

What's a good, simple utility I can use to monitor cpu temp in 8.1?

HWiNFO

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

How the gently caress do I delete this?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Try deleting the folder

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Try refreshing the view; maybe it's already gone like the message suggests.

e: Also, seeing that this is Securom filesystem fuckery, you could try a Linux Bootdisk.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 22, 2014

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Run the SecuROM removal tool

https://support.securom.com/removaltool.html

edit: probably won't work if thats from a backup.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It is a backup, and I've tried removing every file and folder in that tree. It's stayed through many refreshes and reboots. The removal tool didn't work, I'll try linux next.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 22, 2014

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Use the command line, quote, and add the \\?\ prefix on the file name.

For example:

code:
del "\\?\D:\whatever"

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Huh. The command line did it. I didnt know about those file names (would tab have autofilled them?) so I tried rd and rmdir with the \\? which didnt work, but then a rmdir /s did. Thanks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just switched from Hackintosh back to Windows after like 10 years of using OSX.

Is there a Windows equivalent of the stock Twitter app in OSX? I just want something that I can scale down to a small window, with one single column for my friend's tweets. MetroTwit ALMOST fills the need but for some absurd reason they won't let you resize it into a small narrow window.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Cool, thanks.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Martytoof posted:

Is there a Windows equivalent of the stock Twitter app in OSX? I just want something that I can scale down to a small window, with one single column for my friend's tweets. MetroTwit ALMOST fills the need but for some absurd reason they won't let you resize it into a small narrow window.

Windows 8? Grab the stock Twitter app from the store, then drag it to a single column on the side of the screen?

Golden Lumber
May 30, 2013
Anyone know if the 8.1 Windows Pro Student edition on the online store is valid for a clean install? Building a new computer and looking for a way to get windows.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Is there a way to remove or merge a partition into one? There is an oldish laptop that's split something like 80/500, and everything is on the 80 partition and is getting really full, and I suspect its impacting performance some, I'd like everything to just use the whole 600~GB's drive but I don't want to f*** around and lose data.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Windows 8? Grab the stock Twitter app from the store, then drag it to a single column on the side of the screen?

Sorry I should have specified I'm looking for a Desktop app :(

Yeah, that's one option though :)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Whats the latest hotness for ftp file servers?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

kri kri posted:

Whats the latest hotness for ftp file servers?

I still like FileZilla but I'm not one of the hip kids.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Im_Special posted:

Is there a way to remove or merge a partition into one? There is an oldish laptop that's split something like 80/500, and everything is on the 80 partition and is getting really full, and I suspect its impacting performance some, I'd like everything to just use the whole 600~GB's drive but I don't want to f*** around and lose data.

You can extend partitions with stock windows software, but you can only do so with empty space. Nothing on your 80GB boot partition will be affected, but you'll have to delete the 500GB partition. If you can transfer everything off of your big partition temporarily, you can do this:

Go to Computer Management,
Select Disk Management,
Delete the 500 GB partition
Right click the 80GB partition, Extend Volume
Use the full amount available, and you'll now have one ~600 GB partition ready to use.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Im_Special posted:

The above suggestion is sensible if there's nothing on the large partition you care about. This should be able to merge partitions if that's not the case. Still can't recommend even trying without some sort of backup in place, man.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a solid program to do incremental backups. I have a folder of music that I update every week and I don't mind copying all 40GB to dropbox once, I don't want to do it more than that.

It doesn't have to be free; in fact, I'd rather pay for a program as long as it's good.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a program that'll let me explore .rar files like you can explore .zip files in Windows? Specifically .rar files that contain photos or other media files.

Doesn't have to be free.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a solid program to do incremental backups. I have a folder of music that I update every week and I don't mind copying all 40GB to dropbox once, I don't want to do it more than that.

It doesn't have to be free; in fact, I'd rather pay for a program as long as it's good.

Acronis is super easy to use for imaging if you want to archive it up.

You can also use Synctoy if you want to create a 1:1 copy of the music between a local folder and a dropbox folder. Run it weekly and it will look for changes. Bonus - Synctoy is free.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Seventh Arrow posted:

In that case, I would buy CrashPlan. It's an excellent, excellent backup software and service with good out of the box options, but plenty of customization if you so choose.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thanks! I'll check those out and see which I like best.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Janetter will let you go single-column and narrow it to an almost absurdly tiny width. Just stick with the brushed metal skin; the other ones are eye-searing.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What kind of changes prompt license reactivation in Windows 7? I have a VM that I use frequently for work, and maybe once a week or so I get the message in my systray saying I need to reactivate due to configuration changes. I'm basically using it to connect to a client's VPN so I don't have to put my entire system at their network's mercy, and every bit of work I do with them is through an RDP session. Any ideas what might cause it to do this?

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Is there a way to find out what programs are making power requests to Windows? Sometimes my computer won't go to sleep even though it doesn't seem like anything is active. I'm aware of powercfg -requests, but that doesn't tell me which program is to blame.

PPills
Oct 5, 2004

John DiFool posted:

Is there a way to find out what programs are making power requests to Windows? Sometimes my computer won't go to sleep even though it doesn't seem like anything is active. I'm aware of powercfg -requests, but that doesn't tell me which program is to blame.

IdleClock: http://www.maxoutput.com/

Not what you want, but it could prove useful to troubleshoot your issue.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

PPills posted:

IdleClock: http://www.maxoutput.com/

Not what you want, but it could prove useful to troubleshoot your issue.

I tried this out today. I have a Windows 8.1 desktop set to go to sleep after 2 hours that sat idle for 5 hours (according to that program) without going to sleep (it's never slept on its own). How would I go about figuring out where the hitch is?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Quick question:

I know about the process of Slipstreaming a Win7 image so that you can install it with all you drives and updates right out of the gate. The program RT Seven Lite also allows all kinds of tweaks and stuff to slim down the install.

My questions is, how do I integrate my drivers when they're all in installable EXe format ant not just a bunch of .inf's? Most of the drivers provided by my OEM are in this executable format, and I'm at a a loss as to how to incorporate them into the slipstream.

Any help would be appreciated.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gozinbulx posted:

Quick question:

I know about the process of Slipstreaming a Win7 image so that you can install it with all you drives and updates right out of the gate. The program RT Seven Lite also allows all kinds of tweaks and stuff to slim down the install.

My questions is, how do I integrate my drivers when they're all in installable EXe format ant not just a bunch of .inf's? Most of the drivers provided by my OEM are in this executable format, and I'm at a a loss as to how to incorporate them into the slipstream.

Any help would be appreciated.

A lot of the time the .EXEs are just self extracting zips, so you can just open the file up with WinZip and get the driver out of it. Or most manufacturers will allow you to download just the driver file from their site.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

A lot of the time the .EXEs are just self extracting zips, so you can just open the file up with WinZip and get the driver out of it. Or most manufacturers will allow you to download just the driver file from their site.

Absent this (many display and sound drivers are huge software packages) what could I do?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Hi thread. I need a software recommendation for a specific task in Windows 7. I'm not sure whether to opt for Sharepoint, or Infopath, or K2, or Access, or Nintex Forms, or something else entirely (and am still trying to work out what the hell has happened to Sharepoint since the last time I saw it, years ago).

What I need is something that will allow me to design an adaptive form (that isn't dog ugly, and isn't a pain in the arse), that can:

1. add / lock / unlock / make compulsory new fields or options based on the responses to previous ones. Simple example, say a box at the bottom of each page that, if checked, adds another continuation page before proceeding with the rest of the form. Or pregnancy fields that automatically unlock if the user selects female as their gender. That kind of thing.
2. can output the data entered as .xml in a specific structure. So e.g. the user's date of birth gets exported inside pre-defined tags for the date of birth.
3. can also be printed out or e-mailed as an attachment once populated, instead of being filled in online. (Bonus marks if the e-mailed attachment can subsequently be converted to .xml by the recipient.)

To hopefully save me having to wade through half a dozen trial versions of different things, does anybody have any immediate recommendations along those lines? I believe (based on reading, not experience) that Infopath could do all of this stuff to some extent, but apparently it is being discontinued and rolled up into Sharepoint this year, so I'm wondering if it's really a good option at this point.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Gozinbulx posted:

Absent this (many display and sound drivers are huge software packages) what could I do?
There are programs like DriverMagician that extract drivers from an existing install, that's another source you can pull from.

Having a Windows install disc with all the drivers on is pretty nice in theory, but consider whether it's worth the effort and whether there aren't other methods that actually are going to save you time (like making an image of a fresh install).

The most obvious case for it is that of a NIC or a SATA chip that Windows' generic drivers can't handle. That isn't really very common anymore these days.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You can extend partitions with stock windows software, but you can only do so with empty space. Nothing on your 80GB boot partition will be affected, but you'll have to delete the 500GB partition. If you can transfer everything off of your big partition temporarily, you can do this:

Go to Computer Management,
Select Disk Management,
Delete the 500 GB partition
Right click the 80GB partition, Extend Volume
Use the full amount available, and you'll now have one ~600 GB partition ready to use.

Just wanted to say that I did this and it worked perfect, thanks.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
Could anyone recommend some good and free and trustworthy ad blocking software for google chrome? I just reformatted and totally forgot which one I was using that work well.
Windows 7 machine 64 bit

If this was not the right place to ask I apologize I looked for a SOFTWARE small questions that don't deserve their own thread...thread.

Thanks

Read
Dec 21, 2010

tagelthebagel posted:

Could anyone recommend some good and free and trustworthy ad blocking software for google chrome? I just reformatted and totally forgot which one I was using that work well.
Windows 7 machine 64 bit

If this was not the right place to ask I apologize I looked for a SOFTWARE small questions that don't deserve their own thread...thread.

Thanks

Adblock Plus or Adblock is all anyone uses.

e: Okay maybe a hosts file in conjunction with it and noscript has some overlap but whatever.

PPills
Oct 5, 2004

hooah posted:

I tried this out today. I have a Windows 8.1 desktop set to go to sleep after 2 hours that sat idle for 5 hours (according to that program) without going to sleep (it's never slept on its own). How would I go about figuring out where the hitch is?

Is your Windows up to date? Does it seem to happen randomly that it wouldn't sleep or is it consistent? Do you have another monitor to try?

I've actually have been having similar problems but really haven't cared enough to troubleshoot it much. I think it could possibly be a bad monitor or wire but it's mostly a gut feeling.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

PPills posted:

Is your Windows up to date? Does it seem to happen randomly that it wouldn't sleep or is it consistent? Do you have another monitor to try?

I've actually have been having similar problems but really haven't cared enough to troubleshoot it much. I think it could possibly be a bad monitor or wire but it's mostly a gut feeling.

Windows is up to date. It never goes to sleep on its own. However, if I put it to sleep (which I do every night), it doesn't wake up on its own. I don't have another monitor I can try (without lugging my tower into the living room, at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Let me know if there's a better thread for this....

I need free video editing software that will allow me to edit a video into clips, then save those clips as individual files. I tried Windows Movie Maker, but it doesn't allow you to do the latter. Any ideas?