Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I am bad at this game. :smith: I do really well in a battle until my victim spontaneously manifests a thousand or more guys. It's really depressing. It's not mercenaries either because I'm being told they don't have the money to pay back ransoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Baron Porkface posted:

Jihads are unlocked and I've waged great holy wars in the past.

There seems to be a timer for great holy wars, i have been able to to one per ruler in my last reformed norse game, but there seems to be a additional component also since it took some years before my second ruler could do one. Sorry i'm not more helpful.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Jenner posted:

I am bad at this game. :smith: I do really well in a battle until my victim spontaneously manifests a thousand or more guys. It's really depressing. It's not mercenaries either because I'm being told they don't have the money to pay back ransoms.

They are probably calling in in allies. Check their relationships before war, sometimes you can prebuy their allies out of joining.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dongattack posted:

There seems to be a timer for great holy wars

I think it's 50 years but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Baron Porkface posted:

Jihads are unlocked and I've waged great holy wars in the past.

The impression I got was that it was once per ruler or 50 years. In practice it seems like just 50 years no matter who the ruler is.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That is far from the end of the world. I just had a claimant to the Byz throne (generations in the making), die in battle during a test war against Byz to lower CA and see how plausible it would be to attack them for his claim when he became Doge.

Well it's not at the end of the world, but it's kinda lovely that my Uber-Viking, who spent years raiding to amass the 3k prestige required for a prepared invasion (I edited that in myself), would have his greatest undertaking be seizing 10 lovely Spanish counties that would force me to fend off both Muslim AND Carolingian clown cars. gently caress that poo poo, yo.

Rhodry
Mar 4, 2001

Excuse me. Did somebody say they were lookin' for the baaadest detective in town?
I think I won the game. As the Tulunid Shia Caliphate, I repelled the Seljuks before they ever took Persia, conquered their one province and then invited the brother and heir of the Seljuk sultan to my court. I then converted him and set him up in Anatolia (just where the Seljuks should go) and went off to do my thing. Well, he inherited the Seljuk title along with his kingdom of Armenia, but then died and I inherited both. Having a tribal title means unlimited tribal invasions. Europe, conquered.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I think I'm getting the hang of things, my game is ever more successful. After uniting Ireland, I nibbled at the northern provinces of a fragmented France and managed to steal the County of Paris for myself, and handed the Duchy of Normandy and the Duchy of Flanders to vassals. Now I'm going for the Duchy of Anjou, and grabbed the whole Duchy of Moray from Scotland when I noticed a claimant to it, of my own dynasty nonetheless, hanging around in my court; things are looking good, I bet I'll be King of Scotland soon if I can find/fabricate a bunch more claims.

Alas, I have made stupid things in the meanwhile. I somehow inherited a Barony in Querfurt, smack in the middle of the HRE, which doesn't really make sense to keep, and ages ago I foolishly handed away a new castle I'd built in Dublin because I thought it was a "wrong type of holding".

Now I'd like to reverse the situation : pawn away the Barony in the HRE to someone, and retake for myself the castle I built in Dublin. How should I do this?

Also, what's the best way to re-arrange your realm after a bunch of conquests without getting tons of tyranny? I can't just hope that vassals rebel one by one to revoke their titles and change vassal/reassign counties to the correct duchy/other various realm maintenance operations.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 24, 2014

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
My first game has gone like this so far:
Start as Holland, join up with a faction that wants me to take over as emperor
That starts a war that I get killed in
<-- body switch to my newly born son -->
As the heir, I get tossed in jail by the still bitter king
I get ransomed out and find some bros, ones a few years older and a fews years later as a practical joke I'll marry him off to a 40yr old hedonist (that's how we prank in the upper circles of holland)
Join an indépendance faction, that goes poorly and I'm back in jail at 12
Get ransomed out again, brimming with street cred I draw the eye of one of the ladies at court
My fat older sister tries to assassinate me but I forgive her
come of age and realize I can't run my demesne for poo poo so I break off my betrothal to the duchess of Mecklenburg and marry a russian princess with good business sense
at 16, get made chancellor of HRE by the same guy thats already locked me up twice…we've got a pretty special relationship

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 24, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Now I'd like to reverse the situation : pawn away the Barony in the HRE to someone, and retake for myself the castle I built in Dublin. How should I do this?

If you can take the -20 relations hit (usually not an issue if you've been ruling for a decade or two), just revoke the title. Don't imprison him, just select the title and hit revoke.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Pope just asked to marry one of my courtiers :psyduck:
It auto-divorced them and then he asked to marry another one. And another one. One of them was even Jewish.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Mailer posted:

The impression I got was that it was once per ruler or 50 years. In practice it seems like just 50 years no matter who the ruler is.

It is 30 years.( I keep a pad of paper to write down when I do things that have long cooldowns)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So gavelkind sucks, everyone knows this. But when you have a bad streak of luck and a lot of heirs die before your ruler, it gets really loving stupid and decides that your new heir should only get your primary title and the capital county therein. Everything else goes to your original heir's heirs. This means if you're a king, you end up with no ducal title and one county regardless of how many pretenders there are. I guess they didn't fix that after all.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

StashAugustine posted:

It auto-divorced them and then he asked to marry another one. And another one. One of them was even Jewish.

He's just a lonely soul, he just hopes eventually his advisers would give up on telling him no.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

StashAugustine posted:

Oh man, that must be a bug! Someone earlier described seeing a Pope with a court entirely filled with hundreds of young women.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It sounds like he might have an ambition to get married or have a child.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

He'd already had a child by some nobleman's wife 30 years ago. He also called a crusade a week later. I can't go because I'm too busy trying to have sex with my wife.

This game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seoinin posted:

So gavelkind sucks, everyone knows this. But when you have a bad streak of luck and a lot of heirs die before your ruler, it gets really loving stupid and decides that your new heir should only get your primary title and the capital county therein. Everything else goes to your original heir's heirs. This means if you're a king, you end up with no ducal title and one county regardless of how many pretenders there are. I guess they didn't fix that after all.

I'm pretty sure every aspect of that is intended behavior, so what is there to fix? It sucks that you had so many heirs and heirs-of-dead-heirs around that there weren't enough titles for your main heir to inherit anything more than the minimum, but how else should it behave? Would you rather have kept a duchy and lost the kingdom?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Can anyone give me a rundown on how to edit a nation's coat of arms? I'm using Historical Immersion Project, which is pretty decent, but they decided to use the goddamn Palaiologos Cipher as the Byzantium CoA, and it's ruining MY IMMERSION in my Alexiad playthrough.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My son has a bunch of negative traits, and his son whom I'm tutoring has several positive ones, so when my son asked to join the Knights of Calatrava even though that would disinherit him forever, I said yes.

He's celibate and in Spain now, but he's still my heir. :saddowns:
Why?

Edit: Never mind, it reset after another week.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm pretty sure every aspect of that is intended behavior, so what is there to fix? It sucks that you had so many heirs and heirs-of-dead-heirs around that there weren't enough titles for your main heir to inherit anything more than the minimum, but how else should it behave? Would you rather have kept a duchy and lost the kingdom?

The fix I was thinking of was actually involving gavelkind giving away the capital county, not the duchy. So yeah, derp.

What confused me was that the existing sons that weren't considered pretenders before the heir died didn't get bumped up in succession. It looks like gavelkind designates heirs out to like 3 or so sons, but then doesn't adjust for sons dying? It was just really weird how things went from more or less equal distribution of titles to one snot-nosed 8 year old getting nearly everything.

e. Or maybe the problem was that the heir of the duchy of holmgardr died, passing the inheritance to said 8 year old. the kingdom title, under gavelkind, doesn't pass to the 8 year old. instead it passes to the oldest remaining son of the ruler. the rest of the titles however pass to the 8 year old instead of the sons that were too far down for inheritance. idgi.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 25, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Why is it always Pisa that always seem to grow out of control instead of Genoa or Venice? Historically, it was the other way around.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why is it always Pisa that always seem to grow out of control instead of Genoa or Venice? Historically, it was the other way around.

Pisa starts with 10 adult relative courtiers and can thus build a shitload of tradeposts.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seoinin posted:

The fix I was thinking of was actually involving gavelkind giving away the capital county, not the duchy. So yeah, derp.

What confused me was that the existing sons that weren't considered pretenders before the heir died didn't get bumped up in succession. It looks like gavelkind designates heirs out to like 3 or so sons, but then doesn't adjust for sons dying? It was just really weird how things went from more or less equal distribution of titles to one snot-nosed 8 year old getting nearly everything.

Inheritance is kind of weird in that if your first son dies with a son of his own, then I'm pretty sure that grandson also inherits his place in the succession. In other words, succession with a dead son acts exactly as it would as if that son had remained alive but died thirty seconds after you did, inheriting the prime pick of your titles and then immediately passing them down to his heir. So your dead first son's son would remain your primary heir, beating out your second and third sons in the line of succession.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Pisa starts with 10 adult relative courtiers and can thus build a shitload of tradeposts.

That should be easy to adjust, why haven't they?

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah, this just started happening to me, too. I saw a king-level dude asking to marry someone of my dynasty and just hit 'ok', and a few female members of my dynasty later I realised the Pope was just collecting women.

On another note, the catholic ruler start into swearing fealty to the Byzantine Emperor is immensely strong (we were talking about it over in the Byzantium LP thread), because as soon as you become Emperor you have Greek culture, it's fairly easy to remove duchies from your vassals and use them to convert all of your new dukes, and you can very easily set up an antipope and make the Pope your vassal, at which point there is literally only one major power in the world (Rus in the 1066 start) who you can't either Holy War or seize all the land from using the Pope. You also get Crusades, excommunications without the bother of Patriarchs stopping you excommunicating your various vassals in their dioceses and on the whole it's a lot more fun.

Honestly, Orthodoxy needs a rework of some kind - it's ridiculous that I can't make the Patriarch of Antioch excommunicate people in his diocese even when he's my direct vassal because he's not my head of religion. Traditionally the Byzantine Emperors had more power over their religion than Catholic lords, not less.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

I once had Genoa convert to Fraticelli and go crazy across half of Europe.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Pisa's a menace. My last game as Sicily, I spent half my time in the early game scrambling to step on their necks before they ate all of southern Italy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Diplomatic range has been confirmed for RoI. Or had it been confirmed already? I'm not sure.

But even more importantly, members of rebelling Factions will actually become vassals of the Faction Leader. Unified rebellions :getin:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

lurksion posted:

Hmm, not sure, but I think your vassals have to be at peace as well.

They're different items on the requirement checklist. My vassals weren't at peace by a long shot, but that doesn't matter when checking the length of my rule.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So whats the consensus on the Historical Immersion Project mod? Reading Rincewind's lp it looks like it has a nice number of little overhauls, but I hear there's some annoying features like completely changing the map to stuff it with lots of provinces (messing up tutorial island :argh:) and giving everything a localized title.

I'm considering running a Republic of Amalfi Legislative lp and was curious about running the mod.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Diplomatic range has been confirmed for RoI. Or had it been confirmed already? I'm not sure.

But even more importantly, members of rebelling Factions will actually become vassals of the Faction Leader. Unified rebellions :getin:
Awesome. They take that from the Game of Thrones mod?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I just usurped the golden horde! Did i just drat myself to Horde techgroup during eu4 conversion?

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So whats the consensus on the Historical Immersion Project mod? Reading Rincewind's lp it looks like it has a nice number of little overhauls, but I hear there's some annoying features like completely changing the map to stuff it with lots of provinces (messing up tutorial island :argh:) and giving everything a localized title.

You can choose yourself if you want localized or english titles, it's customisable. :) A lot of it is customisable actually, you'll even be able to choose whether you want SWMH (somewhat more historic, it's the map mod that adds a lot of new provinces) enabled or not. If I were you I would give it a try, it is a very nice mod collection and can be customized at your will.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

beefart posted:

Can anyone give me a rundown on how to edit a nation's coat of arms? I'm using Historical Immersion Project, which is pretty decent, but they decided to use the goddamn Palaiologos Cipher as the Byzantium CoA, and it's ruining MY IMMERSION in my Alexiad playthrough.

If you know the design you want and the title you want tweaked (it's e_byzantium here), what you do is make a 128x128 .tga of the design you want, save it as e_byzantium and replace the one at (My) Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\Historical Immersion Project\gfx\flags.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

I just usurped the golden horde! Did i just drat myself to Horde techgroup during eu4 conversion?

Religion and culture determine tech group, so you could be fine.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Charlz Guybon posted:

Awesome. They take that from the Game of Thrones mod?

No? Its the opposite of how the GoT great wars work.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That combined with "Oh, and when close relatives ask for a title, they might now actually start a war for it." will make it quite alot harder, I like it. Also atleast 2 more DLC upcoming and more if there's demand, great to hear.

Btw, does anyone know the mechanics/power of war elephants already?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Baron Porkface posted:

Religion is the overwhelming factor, otherwise you need to take certain key European provinces. You can also have an average of level 5 tech, but that's across your entire realm, and considering how bad the tech is in the east & how big you are to have usurped the Golden Horde, that's not likely.

Check Groogy (who wrote the converter)'s post here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?719703-Converter-Mechanics-Questions/page2&s=dc64d75657a6c98a9baa2176226e6bc2 If you're Tengri you're kinda hosed for getting Western, although you're guaranteed to not be in the nomad group (assuming you're reformed). If you've converted away to something else it'll be easier.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rumda posted:

No? Its the opposite of how the GoT great wars work.

It's been a year since I played it, guess I'm remembering it wrong.

• Locked thread