Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Finn isn't the the last human in Ooo anymore!

(She'd better stay clear of Rainicorns.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I really liked the episode too. I enjoyed how much Betty just rolled with it as well (I bet there's a scene after her killing Bella Noche where she actually realizes this place is loving insane), and the pacing was fast but I didn't think it was awkward necessarily. I mean, yeah, I would've liked it 30 minutes, but I would like it if most episodes were 30 minutes.

I do hope Betty sticks around for a while. She seems like a person who would fill that role model spot for Finn, honestly.

Cityinthesea fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 25, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Great episode if a touch too fast. Now we have a whole new adult human character to play with. Yay!

This episode also reminded me how much I want to see another Death centric episode. He's so amazing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cityinthesea posted:

I do hope Betty sticks around for a while. She seems like a person who would fill that role model spot for Finn, honestly.
She seems as much as an rear end-kicker as him. Maybe Finn is her descendant?
Somehow.

It was nice that Simon and Marcy got a (brief) reunion.

Marcy was holding her bass so high, I didn't realize she was wearing a new outfit.

And of course, screenshots of the coolest AT character ever...

Where the heck does she keep that bow?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Acquire Currency! posted:

Hahah holy poo poo this is going to be the best part. This thread is about to turn into a goddamn novel.

I am utterly stunned I came to this thread and people actually didn't like the episode wherein Simon comes back and Betty shows up. Guess you guys wished on that monkey's paw one too many times.

Say Nothing posted:

Lower the bass, Marcy!

I was almost positive they were setting up for a dumb "drop the bass" joke. Maybe they were and the punchline just got cut off.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, that episode was hilarious. I loved the breakneck pacing; dialogue is AT's biggest strength to me and all those lines on top of eachother were something else.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

She told the carpet to take her there. Also from that book it seems like she knows all about wizard stuff.

I really love how Betty defeats Bella Noche by just beating him up.

Bella. Her.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Was that Ash that Simon stole the carpet from? I looked away from the screen at that part and I couldn't really tell.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Spiffster posted:

Well that episode went by a mile a minute. that really should have been a half an hour episode...

Huge agreement, and I think that's the first time I genuinely felt an episode was hurt by the 15-minute format. It felt like there wasn't a single down, breather moment. Also agreeing with whoever said Betty's acting was mediocre and that hurt her impact.

Death was cool and Betty's punch'n'kick takedown of Bella Noche was also a fun fit for the show. Interesting to see Simon Petrikov exhibiting a Princess Bubblegum-esque scientific approach to magic. Marceline's weird out-of-body experience thing was pretty trippy and cool, except then it was followed with an emotionless infodump.

I really hope Simon doesn't come back, at the very least not with magic or anything. Ice King has had pretty great character development so far, but that wouldn't be character development, that'd just be over-writing a good character with a less nuanced, less interesting one.

Cityinthesea posted:

Was that Ash that Simon stole the carpet from? I looked away from the screen at that part and I couldn't really tell.

Yes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Say Nothing posted:

And this episode puts an end to the '(random character) is Betty' debate.
Betty is Betty and now we know what happened to her after she ran away from Simon.

Maja is Betty from the future driven to evil trying to save Simon by using time travel again :v:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I liked that the magic spell was made using a dirty bidet and a vaporizer "not the ideal lab conditions".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This was a good episode and I wish it had been two episodes. I'm guessing this was going to be the main part of the plot for the canceled TV movie thing?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

This was a good episode and I wish it had been two episodes. I'm guessing this was going to be the main part of the plot for the canceled TV movie thing?

I think that's the finale.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

TwoPair posted:

I was almost positive they were setting up for a dumb "drop the bass" joke. Maybe they were and the punchline just got cut off.

Bass joke was just a bass joke. Nobody has ever played a bass and not realized how cool it looks at crotch level and how much easier it is to play at chest level. I'm glad Marcy is focused on technique.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bella Noche promises "the lost system of antediluvian magic." There was no magic on Ooo in its distant past, so of course that makes perfect sense.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Betty's last name is "frog" spelled backwards.
Why is her name "frog" spelled backwards?

e: Wait, no. I'm dyslexic.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Usually I don't mind them moving quick and ending in an odd place, but it's getting kind of annoying lately.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Das Boo posted:

It's a reference anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Das Boo posted:

It isn't, but if it were, it would be a reference to this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grof, Dutch for rough, coarse, or rude.
Serbo-Croatian, Slovene for Count or Earl.

From the German Grob.
Betty is Grob Gob Glob Grod?

Oh Glob!

Oh, and of course Bella is Spanish for beautiful, Noche is night (feminine noun). But that's an obvious one.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 25, 2014

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I wish this episode had like 60 more seconds to let some of the beats hit home.

edit: Betty punching out the monster felt so nice to watch.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I enjoyed it. It did feel a little rushed -- I wish they could have done a two-parter and fleshed things out a bit in places (more Marcy/Finn/Jake reacting to / interacting with Simon, maybe a bit more Betty getting up to speed on things, etc). Having Betty around in present-day Ooo has potential for more interesting stuff down the road at least.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Bella Noche is a decaying, undead Nommo.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

This was a good episode. Really enjoyable, if only it could have been a 2 parter so everything had time to breath. It certainly was important enough to warrant being 2 episodes.

I'm intrigued where they plan to take this. Is there a realistic chance that Ice King will ever get cured, at least before the final episode in 202X? I want to say yes, but he's so important to the status quo. Maybe they'll come up with some compromise solution? Like spitting Ice King's brain in half with magic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This might be a big stretch, but I'd like to think this episode was the answer to everyone who was whining that the women don't have enough agency

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Ice King is too entertaining to write out until the end is nigh. The mere possibility of a cure, to say nothing of the knowledge that Betty is out there, is enough to keep his scenarios fresh for another season or three, and his inappropriateness, spontaneity, cluelessness, and narcissism were a rare comedy dynamo even before he became tragic.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bongo Bill posted:

The Ice King is too entertaining to write out until the end is nigh. The mere possibility of a cure, to say nothing of the knowledge that Betty is out there, is enough to keep his scenarios fresh for another season or three, and his inappropriateness, spontaneity, cluelessness, and narcissism were a rare comedy dynamo even before he became tragic.
Anyone who thought they'd actually kill off the Ice King now was deluding themselves. Adventure Time is a show that lives off of syndication and re-runs, and Ice King is such a critical character that they can't afford to get rid of him and change that dynamic.

All bets are off when the show approaches its finale though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that time travel is possible in the Ooovian universe makes me think we might see a past character again...

...magic using sentimental links to the past and all that stuff...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Say Nothing posted:

The fact that time travel is possible in the Ooovian universe makes me think we might see a past character again...

...magic using sentimental links to the past and all that stuff...

She's straight up dead though. And it looks like the time travel operates on a stable time loop basis: the reason Simon lost track of Betty is because she lept into the time portal. The only timeframe where they could interact with her is before she ever met Bubblegum because her timeline after that is known to us, and she couldn't come back to the present without donking up the timescape.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

She's straight up dead though. And it looks like the time travel operates on a stable time loop basis: the reason Simon lost track of Betty is because she lept into the time portal. The only timeframe where they could interact with her is before she ever met Bubblegum because her timeline after that is known to us, and she couldn't come back to the present without donking up the timescape.
...but what about Chubby The Tiger????

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

One thing I realized, after the fact, relating to Betty being pretty unphased by Ooo, magic, etc, is that we do learn that she co-authored "Mystic Rituals and Their Space Time Applications" with Simon...

A bunch of other quality titles on that bookshelf too:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Hmmm that lab and the extensive library are still underneath Ice King's castle, and he seems to still have no idea they are there. Perhaps a future episode where he accidentally runs into Betty as she's working down there?

I am not sure if I liked the episode or not. I might have to re-watch this a few times before I form an opinion, because the speed with which things happened is, well it's already been discussed.

While I really liked how competent Betty is, it did irk me a bit of how completely unfazed she was by the whole thing. Yes, we know she's studied magic and rituals and such in the past, as evidenced by all the books, but you'd still expect at least some kind of acknowledgment of her new surroundings. Perhaps we might get a reaction from her if she every figures out what happens to the world after she jumped through that portal?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 3, 2018

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Jesse Moynihan wanted it to be a two-parter (http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=2161):

quote:

When I wrote the original concept of this story I was trying to follow up on the secret wizard society thread that I’d been tracking over several episodes. It developed naturally into a story about the return of Simon. I wanted it to be a double episode, but there was already a double episode in the works so I had to fit all this poo poo into one bullet. It was tough to hit all those beats, so the only way I could do it was to give it a hectic time-bomb scenario. It’s so crazy writing for TV sometimes. Mostly you just have to pray that whatever horse you’re betting on is the right one to resonate with viewers. You hope that they get the emotional beats and that it’s conceptually satisfying, exciting and funny. I’m really proud of the scenes with Death. And I think there’s enough in this episode to get rewards from multiple viewings.

There's a lot of little moments in there (like the look Gunther and Betty exchange at the very end). Upon rewatching, I've decided that I definitely like it, but am sad that it could not have been a 22 minute epic -- so many AT episodes perfectly fit in the 11 minute format, but this one was definitely bursting at the seams.

I can't imagine that we *won't* see more of Betty down the road, so hopefully there will be opportunities to further explore Simon/Betty/Marcy/Finn/Jake interactions... it'd be interesting if Betty evolved into a somewhat regular character (she's got some time to try to devise a cure for Simon now that the crown is keeping him alive again) and we got some viewpoints of Ooo from a newcomer with a different perspective.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
It is starting to feel like this show is getting a little too ambitious for its 15 minute format. This episode and red throne both had to go a mile a minute to get where they wanted.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

11 minutes is not enough for this show now, but it's still really convenient. It's a nice middle ground between the quick blurb of a youtube video and the huge time investment that a 20 minute show has become.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?
Watching this episode most definitely made me need to listen to the Cheers theme repeatedly.
I think the most satisfying part was Ash getting punched out, to be honest.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I hope we get more episodes where Ash cameos long enough to have someone punch him in the face and that's it. I love hating that jerk!

I am sad that they didn't realise that J-Moyns is right and it should have been two parts. Then things could have happened in a less rushed pace, and they'd have had time to include actual emotional stuff, like more time on the Simon/Betty reunion, maybe a reaction from Marcy when Simon turns back into the Ice King, that kind of thing. This episode could have been another I Remember You or Simon and Marcy, if it only had more time.

Which reminds me, I miss Rebecca Sugar. It sucks to know all my personal favourite episodes will be in the past, because it turns out she did almost all of the ones that are my favourites. Yeah I'm selfish.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Re. the 11-min limit, sure that's a hindrance for some episodes, but I think it's overstating things to call it a problem for the show. A lot of artists do their best work not necessarily within constraints, but in spite of them. Forcing a limit forces a focus, and that's not a bad thing. A few episodes a season might suffer, but think of how many episodes would just fall flat with 22-24 mins of time. Oy. Brevity is the key to the show's longevity, and you gotta take the bad *with* the good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I agree that the time hurt the episode. This would have been better as a two-parter.

Say Nothing posted:

Marcy was holding her bass so high, I didn't realize she was wearing a new outfit.

That outfit is basically just the one she wore as a kid without sleeves and with legs instead of as a dress. Its hugely similar anyway.

Kinda cool imo.

Jenx posted:

While I really liked how competent Betty is, it did irk me a bit of how completely unfazed she was by the whole thing. Yes, we know she's studied magic and rituals and such in the past, as evidenced by all the books, but you'd still expect at least some kind of acknowledgment of her new surroundings. Perhaps we might get a reaction from her if she every figures out what happens to the world after she jumped through that portal?

Well, she was also watching Simon zapping magic around in the past. She probably already went through the 'oh poo poo, magics real yo' phase before the portal opened. Then everything happened too fast for her to have time to react to anything.

• Locked thread