Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thumposaurus posted:

You need to see '80s stryper to get the full experience

lol

Is it just me or does the dude second from the left have utterly massive hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is it just me or does the dude second from the left have utterly massive hands?

Helps with extended chords, but mostly just to pray harder

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Spanish Manlove posted:

Alright, I wanna see the dumbest drum kits. From 100 piece mike mangini atrocities to sets witht he rarest of tone woods to play soft jazz on.

For my money, North drums were pretty ridiculous looking. There was a studio in South Philadelphia that had a set of them - and we sat and listened to a track another band had laid down, and that kick drum was pretty good sounding. We ended up using that kit for the recording, actually, instead of my drummers Tama Imperialstar (which had a 24" kick and a massive 18" floor tom) and it sounded pretty good, I thought, even though those drums all looked like tubas.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Mac DeMarco's guitar is...something. Can't really tell what he's done with it (aside from installing metal plates??), but he makes nice pop, so I can't complain too much.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 25, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Declan MacManus posted:

this is not a safe space don't admit that poo poo

If you approach it from the opinion that all 80's metal buttrock is about stupid poo poo then there ceases to be much difference between cheesy hair metal about jesus and cheesy hair metal about motorcycles and gay sex (just to establish in the pantheon of 80's metal subject matter that Judas Priest is the exact opposite of Stryper). Stryper have always been really really proficient musicians and I think it took a really long time for a lot of metal people to admit that. Also their not christian album (Against the Law) is really rad if you like that corny Priest/Scorpions/Tygers kinda stuff. I didn't even really like Stryper until I saw them live at a thing once (they were the opener for a non-christian classic metal show I went to). One thing I will say, due to the lack of normal rock and roll drugs/sex/partying their singer still basically sounds exactly like he did in the 80's, where the only other metal band I like from that era who still has that amount of chops is Motorhead (and maybe Scorpions). Manowar still kick rear end and stuff but when I saw them their singers voice was sooooooo rough it wasn't even funny. Grave Digger was the same way but I think that might have been intentional it's hard to tell.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Why is it so easy to spot a christian rock band? I'd never even heard of Stryper before but I didn't need to google search them to know that.

Because they all either are trying to look like Stryper, Creed or Converge no exceptions.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Because they all either are trying to look like Stryper, Creed or Converge no exceptions.
Except Converge is a good band.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
People itt unironically liking Stryper, Buckethead, Zappa

That Vai horseshit sounding more appealing every day

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

ugly instruments tho

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I hope this thread doesn't crucify me, but Les Pauls have never been appealing to me whatsoever. At ALL.

Except this, holy crap yes please:

Also: 80s spandexed butt rock chat and Zappa, why, why must you do these horrible things??

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 25, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Well yeah. Their spinoff band was way cooler but they are pretty good. Doesn't stop every modern mosh4christcore band from being born from the idea of "what if Jane Doe had more songs about JESUS?".

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

I think I love Zappa as a man and not really his music so much. He didn't really push sonic boundaries, but he did push the establishment. Music went from being "omg sex" to "omg drugs" to "omg the devil" and then a variable combination of the three. From Elvis, to the Beatles to Motley Crue and W.A.S.P.

Zappa holds a special place in my heart. His battles with Tipper Gore and even being pilloried for his articulate arguments for bands who's music he would hope his own children wouldn't embrace, and his defense of free speech were unparalleled at a time when neo-soccer moms wanted to ban "offensive music". And we owe Zappa a nod for at least creating a cohesive dialogue when most rockers were just being offensive for the sake of it.

So there's Frank Zappa the man, and then Frank Zappa - the musician. Hate his music or not. I could name a handful of his songs I like and an entire catalog of poo poo he's put out that I consider unlistenable crap.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

awesmoe posted:

ugly instruments tho

Is this band's official stance to cock their head back and stick out their abs/chest?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

strangemusic posted:

I hope this thread doesn't crucify me, but Les Pauls have never been appealing to me whatsoever. At ALL.

Except this, holy crap yes please:

Also: 80s spandexed butt rock chat and Zappa, why, why must you do these horrible things??

I have the 70's version and it's my favorite Gibson ever made and the only Les Paul I own. Also maybe my favorite electric guitar ever made, maybe.

That said, I hate how it looks with that Bigsby bolted on it. I have no clue why they did that on what looks like a fairly nice homage.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Harry in Rio posted:

I think I love Zappa as a man and not really his music so much. He didn't really push sonic boundaries, but he did push the establishment. Music went from being "omg sex" to "omg drugs" to "omg the devil" and then a variable combination of the three. From Elvis, to the Beatles to Motley Crue and W.A.S.P.

Zappa holds a special place in my heart. His battles with Tipper Gore and even being pilloried for his articulate arguments for bands who's music he would hope his own children wouldn't embrace, and his defense of free speech were unparalleled at a time when neo-soccer moms wanted to ban "offensive music". And we owe Zappa a nod for at least creating a cohesive dialogue when most rockers were just being offensive for the sake of it.

So there's Frank Zappa the man, and then Frank Zappa - the musician. Hate his music or not. I could name a handful of his songs I like and an entire catalog of poo poo he's put out that I consider unlistenable crap.

One of the problems with Zappa is the die hard Zappa-fans. When people ask them why they like Zappa so much, they're like "just listen to this" *puts on some bootlegged version of guitar solos from five different songs put on top of each other, mixed in with random drum outtakes*

Zappa made a shitload of music, and a huge portion of it is too weird for most people. He did make some very nice, catchy 4/4 stuff as well, but a lot of the Zappa fans seem to focus on the more inaccessible stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L5AJwnp6f0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQxI0G6mKk

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Bufonide
Apr 21, 2012

What a beast! Any further information about this one available?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Bufonide posted:

What a beast! Any further information about this one available?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAVxqwiyoQo

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
The worst thing about Zappa is are Zappa fans. If you even start to say that Zappa might not be the second coming, Zappa fans will write a dissertation on how you're objectively wrong. Then the conversation always ends with "if you didn't go to Berklee and spend $100,000 to study joke jazz, then you can't get Zappa".

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Day Man posted:

I'm a dad.

I'm getting back into playing guitar after a many year hiatus.

How do I avoid being a blues dad? Just, like, not play the blues?

Is it possible, or should I just give in? :ohdear:

It's simple:

1) Don't grow a goatee
2) Don't wear a hat
3) Don't put gold hardware on your guitar
4) Don't grimace every time you bend a note
5) Don't refer to yourself as a 'blues journeyman'
6) Don't use a chorus pedal
7) Burn all your post-Cream Eric Clapton records

Bufonide
Apr 21, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

Very important advise here!

Same applies to SRV and Rory Gallagher! And withstand the temptation to buy a leather vest!

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
I don't like clapton anymore

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Castor Poe posted:

It's simple:

Good call. If you use an effect that is used ubiquitously throughout the music industry, by guitarists of every genre, you're a blues dad. Might as well throw in overdrive/distortion too, if you use those you're some kind of axe-wielding hitler. :crossarms:

nb - not a blues dad, nor the VP of marketing for Roland/Boss

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

You should do whatever you like to do, because that's the appeal of playing guitar. The trouble arises when you start looking down on people for not doing it the same way you do.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Castor Poe posted:

Layla and Other Love Songs is a classic and Blind Faith is also good but anything under the name Eric Clapton is garbage

Bufonide posted:

Very important advise here!

Same applies to SRV and Rory Gallagher! And withstand the temptation to buy a leather vest!

Please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, if actual bluesdads listened to and played like Rory Gallagher the world would be a better place

Fax Sender posted:

I don't like clapton anymore

he sucks

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Castor Poe posted:

It's simple:

1) Don't grow a goatee
2) Don't wear a hat

1: done
2: done
3: done
4: done
5: definitely done
6: done, though I'm questioning the validity of this rule
7: But... but... the Unplugged album I've had since middle school is so good!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Day Man posted:

7: But... but... the Unplugged album I've had since middle school is so good!

no it is not and it is singlehandedly responsible for the acoustic blues trend

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

I hate things solely for their popularity.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Harry in Rio posted:

but good music had sex drugs and satan way before elvis or the beatles

Castor Poe posted:

It's simple:

1) Don't grow a goatee
2) Don't wear a hat

counterpoint to several of those- chris poland

not a bluesdad though he's kinda douchey looking and makes weather channel music now but dat tone and those bends

Declan MacManus posted:

no it is not and it is singlehandedly responsible for the acoustic blues trend

ERIC CLAPTON SUCKS, ERIC CLAPTON SUCKS
ERIC CLAPTON'S GAY, AND HE'S loving GAY
YOUR FATHER IS THE 4TH WORST SONG WRITER
AFTER SPRINGSTEEN, SEGER AND PETTY

YOU WERE SICK OF HIS GAY loving SONGS
SO YOU JUMPED OUT A REALLY HIGH UP WINDOW
YOUR FATHER SUCKS SO loving BAD
YOU KNEW YOU'D GET BEATEN UP AT SCHOOL

YOU WERE SICK OF HEARING "YOU LOOK WONDERFUL TONIGHT"
SO YOU JUMPED OUT A REALLY HIGH UP WINDOW
SOMETIMES I WISH YOU DIDEN'T DIE
BECAUSE I HATE THE SONG "TEARS IN HEAVEN"
I WAS GLAD YOU DIED UNTIL I HEARD THAT SONG
AND KEVIN SHARP IS GAY

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 25, 2014

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
can you guess the genre someone plays by the guitar and pedals they use (also the drugs they use too)

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Fax Sender posted:

can you guess the genre someone plays by the guitar and pedals they use (also the drugs they use too)

weed, and i mostly use a big muff and a delay, sometimes a zvex fuzz factory

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Tempus Fugit posted:

Good call. If you use an effect that is used ubiquitously throughout the music industry, by guitarists of every genre, you're a blues dad. Might as well throw in overdrive/distortion too, if you use those you're some kind of axe-wielding hitler. :crossarms:

nb - not a blues dad, nor the VP of marketing for Roland/Boss

I'm sorry you took a dumb list of bluesdad cliches so seriously.

Fax Sender posted:

Pedalboards are like windows to the soul.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Digital owns sorry

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Castor Poe posted:

I'm sorry you took a dumb list of bluesdad cliches so seriously.

Are you? Are you really sorry?

It was more to do with my misunderstanding of the chorus pedal as blues dad requirement (I would have thought a modified tube screamer would have been more appropriate)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Tempus Fugit posted:

(I would have thought a modified tube screamer would have been more appropriate)

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

don't worry about being labelled dad rockers, just get a guitar with a grip and rip it. wear a hat to hide the pattern baldness and let that hair around it grow really long so the electric fans in front of your monitors blow it back gloriously

rock star

5er
Jun 1, 2000

comes along bort posted:

counterpoint to several of those- chris poland

not a bluesdad though he's kinda douchey looking and makes weather channel music now but dat tone and those bends

His falling out with Megadeth is one of the most pathetic stories that metal music history can provide.

Bufonide
Apr 21, 2012

Castor Poe posted:

Words wisely spoken.

(it's the guy from Rush)

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Tempus Fugit posted:

Are you? Are you really sorry?

It was more to do with my misunderstanding of the chorus pedal as blues dad requirement (I would have thought a modified tube screamer would have been more appropriate)

Because SRV.

You're right, a modified TS would've been more appropriate.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Blues dads mod pedals? I don't know anything about blues dads I guess but I would have expected more off the shelf stuff from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
no they just pay top dollar for whichever modded tubescreamer the gear page is currently creaming their jeans over

• Locked thread