Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

John Brown posted:

JFF's floor is scary as hell. Not only can he get tossed around like a rag doll, but mechanics are pretty bad. Should he have stayed one more year?

Absolutely not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Dude wants to get paid and is most likely going on the top 5 so no way should he have stayed another year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DangerKat posted:

Dude wants to get paid and is most likely going on the top 5 so no way should he have stayed another year.

Also he's not going to suddenly grow three inches and gain fifty pounds and fix his mechanics in 12 months

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also a another off season of media scrutiny is exactly what Manziel wants and needs.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

JFF's floor is scary as hell. Not only can he get tossed around like a rag doll, but mechanics are pretty bad. Should he have stayed one more year?

There's a very real chance he could be a top 5 or 10 draft pick, why in the blue hell would he want to stay another year

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Rasczak posted:

There's a very real chance he could be a top 5 or 10 draft pick, why in the blue hell would he want to stay another year

I mean, it's happened before and both worked out (Andrew Luck) and didn't (Matt Leinart, Matt Barkley), but yeah, take the money kid.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I am so excited that Manziel is going to be a starting QB in the NFL this year.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I mean, it's happened before and both worked out (Andrew Luck) and didn't (Matt Leinart, Matt Barkley), but yeah, take the money kid.

I suspect that Leinart and Barkley were never going to be as high as they were initially projected, which is probably why they went back. Luck was an obvious exception, because of the lockout.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

John Brown posted:

Manziel's mechanics aren't bad. He's a bit of an open-faced thrower which will hurt his velocity at the next level, but he still throws a pretty ball.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

John Brown posted:

Not really, no. He could've worked on his mechanics I guess but I doubt there's much more coaching at the college level that he could have received.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

John Brown posted:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

John Brown posted:

IIRC, he improved on his passing this year and still produced some ridiculous numbers. His biggest problems were the injury to his throwing hand and the fact that if he wasn't perfect or better than perfect, A&M would lose the game against quality opponents because the defense was so bad.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Well I obviously don't know poo poo about CFB.

How much weight would he realistically be asked to pack on? Does he have the frame to maintain his speed/agility with an extra 20lbs or so?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I think he could. As he ages, his body will still be producing enough testosterone to pack on more muscles naturally. He's only what... 22? When I was 22, I be like 150 pounds, and I ended up getting up to 200 or so a couple years later of just muscle. And I wasn't really trying that hard.

Now I'm fat :(

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Sataere posted:

I suspect that Leinart and Barkley were never going to be as high as they were initially projected, which is probably why they went back. Luck was an obvious exception, because of the lockout.

Leinart would have been the #1 pick in 2005 if he would have come out

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
There's absolutely zero way you can know that.

The process after they officially declare is the process that strips people down. How many times do we see first round guys at the end of the season fall in the third round? D. Moore was a first round pick going into freaking February. Geno smith was a top 10 pick until the end of the season, then he bricked .

Not picking on you personally but I hate when people say that about any of these guys because frankly, it's ridiculous and we have no idea if the flaws would have been discovered or not

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 25, 2014

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I'm pretty sure that Luck would've still been the #1 pick if he came out the year before, a lot of folks were bummed when he chose to stay another year. He certainly would've been in the top 2-3.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Luck was absolutely going to be #1, without question

I kind of assumed he would come out to avoid the inevitable rookie payscale and get the final #1 overall QB payday but it ended up not mattering because they made the payscale apply to that draft too

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Luck would have easily been the #1 pick. He's an exception to the rule. Usually it's extremely hard to hang on to the top pick after a year of scrutiny, which is what happened to Leinart. Leinart would have also absolutely been the #1 pick in 2005 since that draft was incredibly weak and he still would have looked better than Rodgers and Smith after the combine unless he completely imploded.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Luck was going to be a top pick no matter what because as we learned, there was zero to find in the process. He was as good a prospect as initially thought.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

AAA DOLFAN posted:

There's absolutely zero way you can know that.

The process after they officially declare is the process that strips people down. How many times do we see first round guys at the end of the season fall in the third round? D. Moore was a first round pick going into freaking February. Geno smith was a top 10 pick until the end of the season, then he bricked .

Not picking on you personally but I hate when people say that about any of these guys because frankly, it's ridiculous and we have no idea if the flaws would have been discovered or not

Like when Jake Locker comes up for the 2010 draft. It's especially pointless because Locker seemingly went from potential #1 in 2010 to second day pick in 2011 and then back into the top 10 on draft day.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DangerKat posted:

Like when Jake Locker comes up for the 2010 draft. It's especially pointless because Locker seemingly went from potential #1 in 2010 to second day pick in 2011 and then back into the top 10 on draft day.

Only dummy dum dums thought Jake was going to be a second day pick in 11. I say that confidently.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
As opposed to anything else you say ever?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DangerKat posted:

As opposed to anything else you say ever?

I reek of bravado

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I always love seeing "A was definitely going to happen! ...unless variable B occurs"

Scouts could have easily gone after his lack of arm strength . Again look at geno smith vs who went first at qb. I bet a whole lot of people would have said that with confidence

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Jake Locker Just Needs Weapons

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Those scouts also went after Alex Smith for his arm strength. Sometimes the combine doesn't matter all that much when you're talking about the most popular player in the NCAA. Leinart was coming off a huge season, played for a powerhouse program, and appeared to be everything Alex Smith was and more.

You're correct, we don't know for certain, and I pound that poo poo out every time I post about the draft, but sometimes we can confidently say that guys like Leinart would have been the first of their position off the board due to the circumstances. Either way none of this really matters.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'm starting to think that none of the top 3 QBs or Khalil Mack will be available at 8, though one of the top 3 QBs sliding seems more likely than Mack being there at the moment. With that being said, here are a couple players that I think they should target if they stay at 8 and the aforementioned scenario plays out:

1. DE Kony Ealy - Mizzou :: Ealy seems like a perfect fit for Zimmer's defense. Tall DE with long arms, athletic enough to line up as either a DE or rush linebacker, and an explosive pass rusher. That being said, I expect the Vikings to address their need at DE by either re-signing Everson Griffen or bringing in a FA like Michael Johnson. They'll still need to add DE depth later in the draft, since they have no depth at DE right now.
2. LB Anthony Barr - UCLA :: I like Mack more than Barr at this stage, since Barr has only been playing linebacker for a short time, but he's a freak athlete and disruptive pass rusher who should still be able to project as a SLB in Zimmer's scheme.
3. WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson :: WR isn't a need for the Vikings, but when you're picking in the top 10, you should be open to taking the BPA. Watkins and Patterson could be a dangerous receiving duo for a long time. He's probably a very unlikely pick for them, but I would love this pick.
4. CB Justin Gilbert - Oklahoma State :: Very good college corner who backed up his film with a strong combine. He's could be a borderline top 10 pick for some teams and I'd love to see what Zimmer could do with him. I do think that the Vikings could make a play for Alterraun Verner in FA, though he may be out of their price range. I'm also interested in Stanley Jean-Baptiste if he's there in the 3rd round. Not ideal speed for a corner, but he's a 6'3 corner with long arms and a huge vertical leap and seems like someone that would be ideal for taking on bigger receivers.

Edit: CJ Mosley would be another play that they could consider, but has a couple knocks on him. Small for a linebacker, production seemed to drop when he started calling defenses, and has had some bad injuries.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 26, 2014

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Vikings having Watkins, Patterson, Jennings, and Petersen would just be absurd. poo poo, my noodle arms wants to QB for that team.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nawid posted:

Vikings having Watkins, Patterson, Jennings, and Petersen would just be absurd. poo poo, my noodle arms wants to QB for that team.

All dressed up with no one to throw :sigh:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Chichevache posted:

All dressed up with no one to throw :sigh:

Mike Vick can run the option with Peterson and it'll be just like that team I made in Madden once.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

I unironically believe the Vikings should pursue Vick and draft BPA instead of QB at 8 overall.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So Ponder slotted back as a starter by week 4?

I kinda of want the Texans to pursue Freeman but ehhhhhhh

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hot drat Jaws dropping some loving science

Ron Jawarski posted:

"Manziel may fall. I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you. I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The first three rounds haha god drat

I'm still dreaming of the Browns sending #4 and #26 to get Manziel so shut up Jaws

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Nawid posted:

In a lot of ways, that is my favorite draft scenario. Neither Moss nor Peterson were considered needs when they were picked and I'd rather take my chances on a potentially elite player at a position of strength than filling a need with a lesser player. They would still need to find a QB, but ideally in that scenario they would bring back Cassel to hold the fort and then either trade back into the late 1st to draft Carr or take a chance on a strong armed QB like Mettenberger or Murray in the mid rounds.

The only thing that would make that scenario hard is that we have a lot of needs on defense, so spending two high picks on offense and possibly trading another pick could be hard to justify. If they can fill a couple needs in FA like DE, CB, and LG, then it would give them more freedom to do something like that in the draft.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

It's going to be harder to acquire quality players if the cap is going up to 135 as has been suggested. Between teams getting that new room and the usual restructuring that goes on around this time of year, teams are going to be more able to secure their own guys at or near top playing levels.

Lament all the horrible :signings:

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

Aniki posted:

In a lot of ways, that is my favorite draft scenario. Neither Moss nor Peterson were considered needs when they were picked and I'd rather take my chances on a potentially elite player at a position of strength than filling a need with a lesser player. They would still need to find a QB, but ideally in that scenario they would bring back Cassel to hold the fort and then either trade back into the late 1st to draft Carr or take a chance on a strong armed QB like Mettenberger or Murray in the mid rounds.

The only thing that would make that scenario hard is that we have a lot of needs on defense, so spending two high picks on offense and possibly trading another pick could be hard to justify. If they can fill a couple needs in FA like DE, CB, and LG, then it would give them more freedom to do something like that in the draft.

If the Vikings get Watkins and the Lions can find a second WR the NFC North will be a fantastic slugfest next year.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

uno.mannschaft posted:

If the Vikings get Watkins and the Lions can find a second WR the NFC North will be a fantastic slugfest next year.

The first team to 9-7 wins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hot drat Jaws dropping some loving science

It's the ESPN machine at work just like when he said Kaepernick could be one of the all-time greats

• Locked thread