Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Ursine Asylum posted:

It's almost like there's 50 or so people reading the thread, 15 of whom are still holding out hope and pressing Benny to do better and the the rest are just making GBS threads on him 24/7

That's probably because it's a 100 page, 1 year E/N thread on a comedy forum full of bitter internet people. I'd still be rooting for him had he done this poo poo midway through the thread.

In short: too little/too late. It's good to see that he's doing something with his passion for writing, but there's still a loving year of nothing to make up for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
You know whats cooler than Thunderdome submissions? Getting a loving job you nit.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

crabrock posted:

Why are all the people that are trashing Benny's hobby in this thread either lovely writers themselves or an unknown quantity?

Lay off the man-boy.

Most of the people offering criticism don't have "English Professor" on their career shortlist.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Arch Stanton posted:

Most of the people offering criticism don't have "English Professor" on their career shortlist.

Or "English Degree" on their resume. You don't have to be a professional artist to recognize bad art.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Obdicut posted:

Are you trying to write for fourth-sixth graders? Is that your intended audience?

It's interesting you say this, because I got an immediate kids story vibe from it too. And taken that way, it's actually pretty good, and there's even some whimsy peeking through. A couple of minor things, but nothing an editor couldn't fix in under an hour to actually make it a charming little story, moreso if it were accompanied by illustrations of lego things exploding into constituent parts :downs: Of course the Gunpowder Gang will ultimately have to be brought to justice by a reassembled sheriff, but that is a tale for another day.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Croc Monster posted:

It's interesting you say this, because I got an immediate kids story vibe from it too. And taken that way, it's actually pretty good, and there's even some whimsy peeking through. A couple of minor things, but nothing an editor couldn't fix in under an hour to actually make it a charming little story, moreso if it were accompanied by illustrations of lego things exploding into constituent parts :downs: Of course the Gunpowder Gang will ultimately have to be brought to justice by a reassembled sheriff, but that is a tale for another day.

Isn't the whole point of children's literature that someone with knowledge and understanding on how to craft a meaningful story for kids takes their considerable talent and experience and arranges it for them? I'd like to think that instead of "Man with mind of child writes children's stories."

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Arch Stanton posted:

If they have no ties to writing and have nothing constructive to say, then maybe they should consider shutting the gently caress up? People aren't "offering criticism," they're just being insulting and mean at the ONE positive thing to have come out of this entire thread so far. You can sit on the sidelines and think his writing sucks all you want, but to throw out insults because he "deserves" it is just pathetic.

He's got a lot to make up for and still isn't perfect, but at least he's actually trying SOMETHING now. Not all great writers are young. He's practicing and putting effort into something, which is the important thing.

I'd consider myself a "late bloomer" in that I want to be a college professor and I'm just now starting my Ph.D. at 31. I'm sure glad I didn't have some assholes telling me to give up because my first experiment didn't work out.

I understand that he's basically a low-functioning retard, but that doesn't mean you should throw rocks at him.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

crabrock posted:

I understand that he's basically a low-functioning retard, but that doesn't mean you should throw rocks at him.

When the person who stands up for the victim does more damage than those who were previously attacking him. :suicide:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

crabrock posted:

You can sit on the sidelines and think his writing sucks all you want, but to throw out insults because he "deserves" it is just pathetic.

If anything he deserves to hear that his writing is nowhere near practiced or good enough to pursue that kind of career in the near future. He needs to hear that is writing is far enough away from "award-winning" and "best-selling" so that he can focus on an actual, attainable career and work on writing as a hobby until he's actually good at it.

Yeah of course everyone's being a fucker but that's partially the goon status quo and partially because Benny has shown that he needs to focus on other things before this dream is going to come true.

Also,

crabrock posted:

I understand that he's basically a low-functioning retard,

jesus christ dude if this isn't throwing rocks then I don't know what is

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

crabrock posted:

If they have no ties to writing and have nothing constructive to say, then maybe they should consider shutting the gently caress up? People aren't "offering criticism," they're just being insulting and mean at the ONE positive thing to have come out of this entire thread so far.

To be fair, I think people are getting frustrated because they've been reading this thread for more than a year and Benny's done nothing but write three stories on the internet and get fired from three jobs. The impression I'm getting from Benny's latest posts is that his writing has taken priority over the job search. But I don't think Benny really needs a job to maintain his current quality of life.

quote:

You can sit on the sidelines and think his writing sucks all you want, but to throw out insults because he "deserves" it is just pathetic.

Point taken, I shouldn't have insulted Benny when I did.

quote:

Harsh!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Please get a job Benny

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

crabrock posted:

at least he's actually trying SOMETHING now

Prodding Benny to poo poo out some horrible writing is like me at the family reunion, giving my seven year old cousin a clipboard and telling her to go ask everyone their favorite color. She gets to feel useful for a couple hours before bringing back a pointless result that I'll praise her for and then use to light the BBQ briquets after she floats off on a cloud of false accomplishment.

If anything people are doing Benny a huge disservice by acknowledging his poo poo writing enough for him think he should ever do it again.

Benny's a lazy, complacent idiot and you guys are distracting him with warm and fuzzy feel-good make-work that'll accomplish nothing other than further delaying the unlikely scenario of him crossing paths with the real world. Not that it matters; like I said earlier: It's been over a year and he's still on step one and in some ways arguably worse off than before. The best we can all hope for is that he continues the truce with his parents long enough to inherit their estate so he can protect his comics to his own bitter end while costing us all as little as possible.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Arch Stanton posted:

Prodding Benny to poo poo out some horrible writing is like me at the family reunion, giving my seven year old cousin a clipboard and telling her to go ask everyone their favorite color. She gets to feel useful for a couple hours before bringing back a pointless result that I'll praise her for and then use to light the BBQ briquets after she floats off on a cloud of false accomplishment.

That actually could be pretty useful when it comes to picking out Christmas and birthday presents.

Hmmm Benny, this could be an entrepreneurial opportunity.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?

Starter Wiggin posted:

Benny, with where you are now and what you have done and learned over the last year, do you stil consider things like AmeriCorps and teaching English overseas to be options of last resort? Because you spoke of these a year ago as things you'd do if nothing panned out in a few months. Well, it's been more than a few months. What do you think of these options now?

Gonna need you to answer this for us, Benny.

Starter Wiggin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 25, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Doing something that takes work and a desire to improve is good for overall motivation. Benny isn't getting lavished with praise; he is getting constructive criticism and an honest acknowledgment that he is improving. If you are unemployed and sitting around doing nothing, it's harder to get motivated. If he is writing and trying to do other hobbies that take some work, he's more likely to get motivation to apply for jobs and do other things he should be doing.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

systran posted:

If he is writing and trying to do other hobbies that take some work, he's more likely to get motivation to apply for jobs and do other things he should be doing.

That's how a normal person works.

Benny's a lazy, barely functional idiot though, so instead of "this is making me feel good, I'm gonna go do other things too!" it'll make him think "I'm accomplishing one tiny thing, therefore I'm off the hook for doing anything else, ever".

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Obdicut posted:

I think it's bordering on cruel to hold out hope to Benny that he can become a good writer.

Hard truth, but I agree and I think it is something that Benny needs to accept. I don't see the aptitude for it, and if it's going to develop then it's going to take a hell of a lot more than a series of internet thunderdomes. If it's a goal, then it's a LONG-TERM goal. In the meantime this guy needs to get a loving job.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Benny, can't you play up your retardation and get a job as a bag boy? I always hope for people to fake it til they make it and strive for real jobs, but you're utterly hopeless. Please just get a job.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

Arkane posted:

Hard truth, but I agree and I think it is something that Benny needs to accept. I don't see the aptitude for it, and if it's going to develop then it's going to take a hell of a lot more than a series of internet thunderdomes. If it's a goal, then it's a LONG-TERM goal. In the meantime this guy needs to get a loving job.

Not only does he have zero aptitude for stringing together readable sentences, he also has zero life experience or insight from which to craft anything that anyone would ever give a poo poo about.

People already know what it's like to sit on their asses doing jack poo poo. That little slice of life isn't quietly yearning for a bold new voice to represent it.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm in no position to make any kind of money off my writing so yeah, this is just a way to pass the time/dip my toes in the water.

You could do though, just not in that way right now. Check out textbroker.com and similar sites, you can make quite a bit of beer money writing short articles suitable for blogs. Could you bang out 500 words on the attractions of your home town, a restaurant or how to.. something or other? If so you can make money writing.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
This thread got really weird when Benny started posting in the thunderdome thread because people kept praising him as though he had accomplished something. Benny shouldn't be prioritizing writing over finding a job and we shouldn't be encouraging him to do so.

But what the gently caress do I know? Benny doesn't even need a job anymore. His mom is letting him live at home rent free and provides everything for him. She's even letting him keep his comic books. There's no reason for him to leave.

This whole thread began because Benny was mad that his mom was going to take his comic books away (he's like, 25). That's what started this whole thing. Life is strange.

pants cat posted:

You could do though, just not in that way right now. Check out textbroker.com and similar sites, you can make quite a bit of beer money writing short articles suitable for blogs. Could you bang out 500 words on the attractions of your home town, a restaurant or how to.. something or other? If so you can make money writing.

Yeah, this is great advice that's been offered before. Benny is INCREDIBLY resistant to advice and criticism.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 25, 2014

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

crabrock posted:

If they have no ties to writing and have nothing constructive to say, then maybe they should consider shutting the gently caress up? People aren't "offering criticism," they're just being insulting and mean at the ONE positive thing to have come out of this entire thread so far. You can sit on the sidelines and think his writing sucks all you want, but to throw out insults because he "deserves" it is just pathetic.

He's got a lot to make up for and still isn't perfect, but at least he's actually trying SOMETHING now. Not all great writers are young. He's practicing and putting effort into something, which is the important thing.

I'd consider myself a "late bloomer" in that I want to be a college professor and I'm just now starting my Ph.D. at 31. I'm sure glad I didn't have some assholes telling me to give up because my first experiment didn't work out.

thunderdome owns but if you've read the thread and honestly think what this guy needs right now is to write stories for goons then you're a pretty bad person hth

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

What Benny needs more of is advice from people in an EN thread, because that is doing him worlds of good.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Heh, don't worry E/N, you and Benny had a good run. We'll take it from here.

Benny, have you heard about the numerous financial opportunities inherent in being an aspiring novelist????

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?

Sitting Here posted:

Benny, have you heard about the numerous financial opportunities inherent in being an aspiring novelist????

But you see, reasons.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

crabrock posted:

What Benny needs more of is advice from people in an EN thread, because that is doing him worlds of good.

i like to keep an open mind about things but people here have been telling him to get a job and you are urging him to write about legos for goons

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sitting Here posted:

Benny, I am a better writer than you. I write every single day. Wanna know how much money I made from my fiction last year?

Negative $30, or thereabouts. I got a short story published, six of my friends got the $5 book, then I never got paid. Writing is good for you and I'd love to see you return to the 'dome, but don't forget your job search.

"B-but I can't write and work/look for work at the same time!"

Bullshit you can't. Working fulltime and writing teaches you better time management. I'm a teacher and I managed to squeeze out a novel last year, along with the 'dome and various other writing commitments.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Benny, I am a better writer than you. I write every single day. Wanna know how much money I made from my fiction last year?

Benny's too busy to write every single day.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Aqua Bear posted:

Benny's too busy to write every single day.
I know it's a joke on your part, but Benny needs to stop making that excuse. I work 9-hour days, 5-6 days a week, and I still find time to write. Doing both takes commitment, but it's totally doable.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Wangsbig posted:

i like to keep an open mind about things but people here have been telling him to get a job and you are urging him to write about legos for goons

I want him to become rich and powerful, which he will only do by writing about lego. When he is rich and famous, he will obviously hire me as his right hand man.

We'll see who made the better choice soon.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

you there, let me see your face, no need to kneel. is that.. wangsbig, from the something awful dot com forums? i remember when you called me gay and a bitch. it was just what i needed to finally get off my rear end and write my stories about sentient hot dogs who are friends. please partake in my riches.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I know it's a joke on your part, but Benny needs to stop making that excuse. I work 9-hour days, 5-6 days a week, and I still find time to write. Doing both takes commitment, but it's totally doable.

There are a lot of things Benny needs to do differently, including not making excuses. He's even got the custom title!

It's pretty badass that you're able to keep up your writing and publishing stuff with such a full work load.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Almost everybody in Thunderdome has full time jobs and other commitments. Nobody is advocating that you can only do one or the other. Benny needs to get off his rear end and get a job, but I don't exactly think the lack of disposable time is his main problem here. Spending a few hours a week doing something that might increase his self-confidence is not folly. Telling him to give that up and only do one thing 16 hours a day is not realistic nor achievable.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

New prompt's up if Benny or any of you E/N regulars want to join: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3598931&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#post426187194

(Please read the prompt carefully because we're doing something different this time)

(Also read the flash rule if not gently caress you)

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

gently caress da Mods posted:

Benny, can't you play up your retardation and get a job as a bag boy? I always hope for people to fake it til they make it and strive for real jobs, but you're utterly hopeless. Please just get a job.

He already failed as a cart pusher, which is typically done by those with special needs. Benny doesn't have special needs, he's an actual retard in it's literal sense. Lack of life experience and motivation has caused him to be far less useful than most people with 3 chromosomes.

There's no chance in hell he could ever be a bag boy. You have to know enough to stack the eggs on top of boxed goods, bread on top of heavy stuff, etc. It requires far more common sense than Benny has to make sure customers don't get home to exploded yoghurt, poped open chip bags, crushed bread and smashed eggs. You also need to be extremely fast with your hands and able to stand for long periods of time. (Benny has tender feet.)

Benny might as well live with his parents and post in thunderdome till they die, are unable to care for him and the police find the entire family decomposing in the living room.

cname fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 25, 2014

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

cname posted:

There's no chance in hell he could ever be a bag boy. You have to know enough to stack the eggs on top of boxed goods, bread on top of heavy stuff, etc. It requires far more common sense than Benny has to make sure customers don't get home to exploded yoghurt, poped open chip bags, crushed bread and smashed eggs. You also need to be extremely fast with your hands and able to stand for long periods of time. (Benny has tender feet.)

Yeah, being a grocery store bagger is probably a poor career choice for Benny for all the reasons mentioned. The poor guy got overwhelmed just trying to put stuff in boxes at a warehouse. Bagging is pretty tedious and can require fast thinking.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
One time I went to the grocery store and the cashier inspected the eggs I bought. There was a broken one! Luckily she had the bag boy run and get me another carton of eggs.

When I got hope and opened the carton I found TWO broken eggs!

You can do it Benny, you can get a job.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003

cname posted:

There's no chance in hell he could ever be a bag boy. You have to know enough to stack the eggs on top of boxed goods, bread on top of heavy stuff, etc.

Benny already got fired from a job where he had to put the SAME stuff into the SAME box, over and over, in a warehouse. He couldn't possibly put different stuff into different bags, while customers wait.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Well, what the gently caress else then? Benny, go be a worm on an oil field, it'd be hilar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny didn't have proper bag/box training, luckily everything is on youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-VRgTanoE0

• Locked thread