Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

C-Euro posted:

2. For you folks that are advocating a hand-to-hand playthrough, would you recommend any mods for such a character or is the style fine as-is? I really want to try a "minimalist" build (Unarmored and H2H, "live-off-the-land" and such) but I seem to remember hearing that a lot of enemies have really high Fatigue which makes H2H a chore.

I am doing a H2H/Unarmored build now so I can give you some tips. The only mod I am using that affects those skills are options in the MCP that adds a strength modifier to H2H (I think its 40% of your str) and the option to fix the unarmored bug present in vanilla Morrowind. The only things that affect H2H damage are your skill and strength (with MCP), Speed doesn't do anything even though it is the governing attribute. I would suggest taking Restoration and Alteration as majors to go with H2H and Unarmored so you have access to Shield Spells and Fortify Attribute Spells. I am using a Fortify Strength 100 pts for 15 second custom spell that adds a good amount of damage. There is a weird thing I have encountered though and maybe someone else can explain it. My attacks seem to do a lot more damage to enemies before I knock them down. This is odd to me since enemies are supposed to have more stamina than health, but I can knock down most enemies in 3-4 hits, but then it takes more than that to kill them once knocked down unless I buff my strength. Buffing my strength before knocking them down also doesn't seem to make me do more fatigue damage. I don't know if its an addon or something, but it makes me think my attacks are ignoring armor or something as long as they are doing fatigue damage.

For Unarmored, using Fortify Unarmored will give you more armor than a Shield Spell/Enchant, but you can't learn that type of skill until you get to Mournhold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I graduated college so I can Morrowind when I want :smug:

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Chocolate Pack update: I got some good feedback from here and from reddit, and have already incorporated a bunch of changes into the pack. The pack has had about 100 downloads by my best estimate, and my website post on it has gotten nearly 2,000 hits, so that's cool.

It turns out BTB's Game Improvements kind of supersedes Armor Balance, so the latter need not be used.
Talrivian's State-Based HP is made obsolete by GCD, so that's not needed either.
Dodge Mod was meant to tackle a bug that is fixed by the Morrowind Code Pack, so Dodge Mod should probably not be used.

Nothing breaks if you use these three mods, but it's better to be safe than sorry. They will be phased out in future pack updates.

I've added a few miscellaneous mods, but big coming changes include the addition of Starfire's NPCs, On the Rocks, and More Detailed Places 2013.

The 'big reveal' blog post for Chocolate Pack 1.0 will have author information, links to every included mod, and a short description of what each one does. I'll also include info on which mods to disable for best performance if that's a concern.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Oggumogoggum posted:

Chocolate Pack update: I got some good feedback from here and from reddit, and have already incorporated a bunch of changes into the pack. The pack has had about 100 downloads by my best estimate, and my website post on it has gotten nearly 2,000 hits, so that's cool.

It turns out BTB's Game Improvements kind of supersedes Armor Balance, so the latter need not be used.
Talrivian's State-Based HP is made obsolete by GCD, so that's not needed either.
Dodge Mod was meant to tackle a bug that is fixed by the Morrowind Code Pack, so Dodge Mod should probably not be used.

Nothing breaks if you use these three mods, but it's better to be safe than sorry. They will be phased out in future pack updates.

I've added a few miscellaneous mods, but big coming changes include the addition of Starfire's NPCs, On the Rocks, and More Detailed Places 2013.

The 'big reveal' blog post for Chocolate Pack 1.0 will have author information, links to every included mod, and a short description of what each one does. I'll also include info on which mods to disable for best performance if that's a concern.

Will you fix OTR before adding it to not get Ald Redaynia errors?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Mortimer posted:

Will you fix OTR before adding it to not get Ald Redaynia errors?

I read about that error a bunch before blissfully forgetting and adding the mod to my own installation.

If I can fix it, I'll include the fixed version in the pack. If not, it won't go in. I won't include anything that I know is broken.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Kilroy posted:

Now who wants the patch to add extra material ;)

IMO they made the right call.

IMO they should have left it alone, because now someone who actually wants to fix it properly by adding the option has to deal with their pointless "fix" on top of the original game. Is overwriting their change simple? I don't know, because all my modding experience is with Morrowind.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Stuporstar posted:

IMO they should have left it alone, because now someone who actually wants to fix it properly by adding the option has to deal with their pointless "fix" on top of the original game. Is overwriting their change simple? I don't know, because all my modding experience is with Morrowind.

Wouldn't that be as easy as just loading the .esp with that change later in the load order? The unofficial patches all go at the top anyway.

Beware though, it might bring about the Wrath of Arthmoor upon you. Wouldn't want a Keygate on our hands!

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Krowley posted:

Wouldn't that be as easy as just loading the .esp with that change later in the load order? The unofficial patches all go at the top anyway.

Beware though, it might bring about the Wrath of Arthmoor upon you. Wouldn't want a Keygate on our hands!

Now that I think about it, you're probably right. As for dealing with Arthmoor, I remember negotiating with the unofficial patch team while working on my quest alternatives mod for Morrowind, because going through the original quests turned up more areas that was within the patch's jurisdiction to fix. I also found bugs they introduced and informed them about it. Many of my changes had to overwrite theirs, but the Morrowind unofficial patch team was cool about working with me.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Stuporstar posted:

All they did was make the key an OnDeath item instead of in his inventory. Since you're probably already touching Calixto in this hypothetical mod anyway, there is no impact.

I think we'd better stop making GBS threads up this thread with modchat about later, inferior Elder Scrolls.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Oggumogoggum posted:

Nice!

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Oggumogoggum posted:

I read about that error a bunch before blissfully forgetting and adding the mod to my own installation.

If I can fix it, I'll include the fixed version in the pack. If not, it won't go in. I won't include anything that I know is broken.

The MGSO patch in the OP has a fixed version of On the Rocks with the regular Ald Redaynia spelling. If you don't want to use it or JMS doesn't allow it or whatever, I think all you have to change is the one cell name. As far as I can tell, that worked for me.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking from experience, I personally do not recommend the Run Faster mod from the op. It not only changes your run speed, but every other NPC as well, making everything look absurd and guards run at light-speed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

also I still can't fuckin save outdoors even with MGSO's version of MGE

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I think what Morrowind really needs is to let players create fully developed characters of whatever level and abilities they choose at the start of the game. Personally, I've leveled up enough characters in this game that I'd much rather go into a new playthrough with an in-game menu at character creation and just pick out everything I want from the start including all my skill levels, spells, and gear in my inventory, along with what guilds and quest lines my character has already completed.

I'd like to step off the boat as a fully leveled Nerevarine with Dagoth Ur dead, or maybe as a fully decked out Grandmaster of the Morag Tong, or as the Telvanni Archmagister who already knows every spell in the game, or maybe a buffed up Nord from Skaal village who just goes out and punches bears to death all day, that kind of thing.

It seems like the game would be a lot more fun to mess around in if you had all your messing around tools available from the start.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 25, 2014

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Any tips on how to level my Restoration and Alteration easily? Just want to make sure they keep up with my Long Sword and Medium Armor, I guess.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

Any tips on how to level my Restoration and Alteration easily? Just want to make sure they keep up with my Long Sword and Medium Armor, I guess.

Cast spells constantly when you're just wandering around, restore fatigue is great to cast all the time anyway. Alteration just do shield or something.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

I think what Morrowind really needs is to let players create fully developed characters of whatever level and abilities they choose at the start of the game. Personally, I've leveled up enough characters in this game that I'd much rather go into a new playthrough with an in-game menu at character creation and just pick out everything I want from the start including all my skill levels, spells, and gear in my inventory, along with what guilds and quest lines my character has already completed.

I'd like to step off the boat as a fully leveled Nerevarine with Dagoth Ur dead, or maybe as a fully decked out Grandmaster of the Morag Tong, or as the Telvanni Archmagister who already knows every spell in the game, or maybe a buffed up Nord from Skaal village who just goes out and punches bears to death all day, that kind of thing.

It seems like the game would be a lot more fun to mess around in if you had all your messing around tools available from the start.

I think you're looking for this.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Moryrie posted:

I think you're looking for this.

Holy poo poo. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Is it a normal AI reaction to just run away when you attack from high enough stealth? I had stumbled upon a clutch of daedra hiding in an underground chamber, mostly scamps. They were pretty dopey and just stood around while I cut them down. But, then I found their head honcho, an ogrim. The first I'd ever seen.

Now here's where it gets strange. I saved my game before challenging him and went to the restroom and when I got back the game had resumed, I was out of my crouch and the ogrim was standing directly in front of me. I guess the game still though I was crouched, or maybe you don't leave your "stealth" until you move while standing. Whatever the case was, the ogrim's stomach was pretty much in my face, so I went to town.

And he ran away! He made a little circle then proceeded to try and run down the ladder to his lair, across the chamber and up the pathway to the exit, but I took him out before he got there. It was a little off-putting, I'm not sure if that ogrim was supposed to somehow be friendly and/or related to a quest of some other path, but I wasn't about to go without attempting to kill a strange monster to see what loot it had.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Is it a normal AI reaction to just run away when you attack from high enough stealth? I had stumbled upon a clutch of daedra hiding in an underground chamber, mostly scamps. They were pretty dopey and just stood around while I cut them down. But, then I found their head honcho, an ogrim. The first I'd ever seen.

Now here's where it gets strange. I saved my game before challenging him and went to the restroom and when I got back the game had resumed, I was out of my crouch and the ogrim was standing directly in front of me. I guess the game still though I was crouched, or maybe you don't leave your "stealth" until you move while standing. Whatever the case was, the ogrim's stomach was pretty much in my face, so I went to town.

And he ran away! He made a little circle then proceeded to try and run down the ladder to his lair, across the chamber and up the pathway to the exit, but I took him out before he got there. It was a little off-putting, I'm not sure if that ogrim was supposed to somehow be friendly and/or related to a quest of some other path, but I wasn't about to go without attempting to kill a strange monster to see what loot it had.

If an enemy can't "see" you they will just run around all over the place, yeah. They either beeline toward you or run away like a benny hill sequence.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jeff Goldblum posted:

If an enemy doesn't have a ranged attack to hit you they'll run in circles attempting to avoid attacks until they die.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there any way to figure out how outdated an installed mod is, or to more easily find updates for them? I thought mlox did this but I tried running it now to (seemingly) no luck, but perhaps that program itself needs to be updated since everything in my current install hasn't been touched for a couple years.
Speaking of updating I'm also still hoping someone can answer this-

C-Euro posted:

1. Is it safe to run the stuff in the OP's Option 3 (MCP, .exe optimizer etc) over a non-fresh install? My most recent save is from nearly two years ago so while I have a lot of those patches installed, there are probably newer and better versions out there. Having to do a complete reinstall will likely harsh my current mellow towards the game as well, but I seem to remember saving the ZIP files for all the mods I'm currently running.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo. I just found out Adventurers 3 was found by the author and uploaded to Nexus. This was my absolute favourite balance mod back in the day and now I don't know if I want to play with this again or try out BTB. :negative:

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Oh, awesome! This is a great mod, and I didn't often play without it back in the day. I might take it for a spin.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Oh hell loving yeah. I wish he would finish it though to have all the expansion stuff done, which is why I'll probably still use BTB.

The added equipment looks sick though. Might just try it. Adventurer's is like the granddaddy of all Elder Scrolls overhauls.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

C-Euro posted:

1. Is it safe to run the stuff in the OP's Option 3 (MCP, .exe optimizer etc) over a non-fresh install? My most recent save is from nearly two years ago so while I have a lot of those patches installed, there are probably newer and better versions out there. Having to do a complete reinstall will likely harsh my current mellow towards the game as well, but I seem to remember saving the ZIP files for all the mods I'm currently running.

All but the morrowind patch project can be installed on top of an existing install without causing issues, so long as you have an unmodified version of morrowind.exe and you follow the install order. If MCP or the EXE optimizer has been run before then a backup or the original should be in your morrowind folder. The morrowind patch project issue is that it may cause mod conflicts.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Oh, okay. I didn't know about GetSpellEffect. Here's the new version:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/084dcndycax9opr/C_j7LKekNm

type "player->additem sc_summonmudcrab 1" to learn it

Nice! I'll try it out later today. I don't have pm's so just let me know what upgrade you want in the thread. With any luck this can replace my usual 'constant effect summon clanfear' ring as my method of having a loveable dungeon pal to roam around with.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 26, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Hey guys, I downloaded Uvirith's Legacy from the OP, and I'm a horrible person and all around dirty cheater extraordinaire so I was wondering how I might take a brand new character and console in the ability to just have the place ready to go from the start instead of having to go through the whole telvanni thing manually first.

Can anybody help me there?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

delta534 posted:

All but the morrowind patch project can be installed on top of an existing install without causing issues, so long as you have an unmodified version of morrowind.exe and you follow the install order. If MCP or the EXE optimizer has been run before then a backup or the original should be in your morrowind folder. The morrowind patch project issue is that it may cause mod conflicts.

Oh yeah, the MPP is an actual plugin. I have something called "Morrowind Patch v1.6.5-BETA" in my load order, is that it? As for MCP and/or the EXE optimizer, I do have a Morrowind.Original in my folder so I would just rename that to Morrowind, have it overwrite the Morrowind.exe that's already in there, then run MCP/MPP (deactivating/deleting the patch that's already there)/EXE/4GB, correct? I have one save at level 2 so I wouldn't be too beat up if I lost that, so long as the game actually runs.

E:

Black Pants posted:

Oh poo poo. I just found out Adventurers 3 was found by the author and uploaded to Nexus. This was my absolute favourite balance mod back in the day and now I don't know if I want to play with this again or try out BTB. :negative:

You'd recommend this? I honestly don't think I knew about this in my Morrowind hey-day so I might try it on my next install. Only issue I see is that perma-Water Breathing on Argonians means you can't complete the Tribunal Temple guild quests, do they address this in the mod?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 27, 2014

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, I downloaded Uvirith's Legacy from the OP, and I'm a horrible person and all around dirty cheater extraordinaire so I was wondering how I might take a brand new character and console in the ability to just have the place ready to go from the start instead of having to go through the whole telvanni thing manually first.

Can anybody help me there?

Honestly getting to mouth level in telvanni is so easy I don't know why you'd bother. Show up with 5 muck and sload soap, mark and recall and you can get all the way to mouth with absolutely no combat and do it in about 20 min. The master Aron quests take another 20 min tops even at low level. The hardest part is hitting wait while the stronghold gets built. If you haven't played enough to know how to do this play through it normally because wtf why else are you playing.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The mudcrab mod works great thank you so much! He's hanging out and being a cool mubcrab buddy.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Honestly getting to mouth level in telvanni is so easy I don't know why you'd bother. Show up with 5 muck and sload soap, mark and recall and you can get all the way to mouth with absolutely no combat and do it in about 20 min. The master Aron quests take another 20 min tops even at low level. The hardest part is hitting wait while the stronghold gets built. If you haven't played enough to know how to do this play through it normally because wtf why else are you playing.

Yeah, Telvanni is probably the quickest questline to complete in the game, especially with the teleports pads added to Telvanni areas by Uvirith's Legacy.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

You'd recommend this? I honestly don't think I knew about this in my Morrowind hey-day so I might try it on my next install. Only issue I see is that perma-Water Breathing on Argonians means you can't complete the Tribunal Temple guild quests, do they address this in the mod?

I definitely would have like 10 years ago, I can't remember it all that much these days aside from the fact that I thought it was awesome and didn't want to play Morrowind without it, and was sad when I was unable to find it on the internet anymore. That's what I'm kinda stuck on at the moment, actually: do I go with my recollection of it being great, or do I try this BTB thing that everyone is recommending? Apparently it doesn't take into account Tribunal and Bloodmoon stuff? I don't know. For some reason I preferred it over Wakim's back then.

As for the Argonian thing, I don't know the answer to that, sorry.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BTB's Character module also gives Argonian's perma-water-breathing, and the readme claims something like "I know some of you think this will cause problems with a certain quest, well I tested it and it doesn't."

I haven't tried it, but according to UESP, the quest completes if you're at 10 health in the water, no matter how much breath you have. Maybe that's how it can still work?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Think I might reinstall ESO this weekend and do some more comparisons of each game's take on Vvardenfell. I finally decided to go and check out Ebonheart since none of my current questlines ever had anything to do with it, probably since its more on an Imperial sorta town. The two versions are nothing alike, but then I suppose the city of Vivec was built on top of Ebonheart somewhere after the second era... though I'm not sure how to explain all the water.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You've always been able to do the temple quest with water breathing just damage yourself to low health, a CE ring or something is easy.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm on my last few mods before I start my next run.
NoM 3.0: include? From what I remember betaing it, it was pretty fun, but I can't remember how much of a nuisance it was, especially if you run something like TR or Morrowind Rebirth or GDR.
GDR? I've nearly always run with it due to it making the last trek feel somewhat more epic and preventing a level 1 from stealing keening. But I'm also thinking of Morrowind Rebirth, which I also haven't played with in forever, and I can't remember if it has GDR/NoM compatibility. Anyone have opinions on these three mods and their use together?

(oh no also mountainous red mountain! That is a really good mod that almost definitely conflicts with MR but has GDR compatibility. This is going to be hard.)

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
NoM 3.0 along with Lite Beer! is a very fun mod if you like more survival aspects such as eating sleeping and drinking. It also adds a butt load of new ingredients, npcs, quests and misc. items to use. As sson as you step out of the census office it gives you a customization option to tool how difficult you want it to be. Sleep Schedule, water or alcohol to drink, go omnivore or vegan.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

What potion ingredients are gluten-free? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Think I might reinstall ESO this weekend and do some more comparisons of each game's take on Vvardenfell. I finally decided to go and check out Ebonheart since none of my current questlines ever had anything to do with it, probably since its more on an Imperial sorta town. The two versions are nothing alike, but then I suppose the city of Vivec was built on top of Ebonheart somewhere after the second era... though I'm not sure how to explain all the water.

Is the city of Ebonheart not on the coast of mainland Morrowind? According to the lore and maps, the city of Ebonheart is on the coast of Morrowind, Vivec City lies directly north of it on the coast of Vvardenfell, and Castle Ebonheart was built west of Vivec after Vvardenfell was opened to outlanders several years before the events of TES III. The Tribunal have been around for a couple of millenia by the time of ESO; I would think that Vivec City is built by that point too, and the city of Ebonheart is supposed to be an ancient (former) capital city built by Dark Elves during the 1st era, not an Imperial town.

Jesus, nothing makes me geek out like TES lore.