Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sindai posted:

I like how in the face of Nils' interrogation, Sei has completely neglected to mention that time Reiji teleported in front of him early in the series.

Or maybe he just repressed the memory to maintain his sanity.

How convenient that Reiji did his teleporting trick at the end of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
Oh, holy cow, he totally could have pulled that trick. I didn't catch that at all.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I like to think that Reji's just been teleporting everywhere since, and Sei just doesn't question it anymore.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He basically did it at the end of this episode. Either that or he's a really fast sprinter who just happens to carry his Beginning around everywhere.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
I had just assumed he had run at the speed of plot. I mean, it's not that unusual for nick of time things to happen like that in the shonen genre even without teleporting powers.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I do have high hopes that this show will get a second season solely based off the fact that absolutely nothing has really been clarified about Reiji's origins as a magical dimension travelling genie prince. Perhaps its just wishful thinking, but it feels like there is a lot going on in the background that could lead to a second season.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Caros posted:

I do have high hopes that this show will get a second season solely based off the fact that absolutely nothing has really been clarified about Reiji's origins as a magical dimension travelling genie prince. Perhaps its just wishful thinking, but it feels like there is a lot going on in the background that could lead to a second season.

I'm still pulling that it will be a crossover with Dunbine. I know where you are from Reiji.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

He basically did it at the end of this episode. Either that or he's a really fast sprinter who just happens to carry his Beginning around everywhere.

Considering he managed to run up and up to the stage and get set up, he really must have teleported. Sei and the rest of the gang didn't even notice he was gone until he started fighting Aila. How else could Reiji pull that off?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Monaghan posted:

Considering he managed to run up and up to the stage and get set up, he really must have teleported. Sei and the rest of the gang didn't even notice he was gone until he started fighting Aila. How else could Reiji pull that off?

Or the rest of the group was mesmerized by the brutal stomping that was happening and Reiji was just Reiji and acted first instead of watching?

You're reading too hard into it. Mostly because if he loving teleported into the middle of the stage at a World Championship the crowd would have seen and poo poo their collective pants about it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caros posted:

Yeah, they've basically completely forgotten about whatever the gently caress Reiji's origin plot is to the point where he could be some random orphan and it wouldn't change anything we've seen so far besides Mashita needing another reason to gently caress with them. I'm sure we'll get some plot exposition about whatever the hell the ~SECRET OF THE PLAVSKY PARTICLE~ actually is, but it obviously can't be anything super grimdark like "plavskies are made from the souls of dead people" or something because we can't have anything that would make Gunpla Battling not the One True Way.

In my dreams, I see an ending where Mashita is like "The secret of plavsky particles is...they're from...ANOTHER PLANET!" followed by an end shot of "Gundam Build Fighters: Alian Adventures Coming 2015". :allears:

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Kanos posted:

In my dreams, I see an ending where Mashita is like "The secret of plavsky particles is...they're from...ANOTHER PLANET!" followed by an end shot of "Gundam Build Fighters: Alian Adventures Coming 2015". :allears:

That's exactly what I want from the end of Gundam Build Fighters. First season on Earth and gunpla battling with Reiji as a fish out of water, second season in another dimension in space with Sei and some others as fish out of water. It would still have to be fairly lighthearted, but couldn't avoid being more serious than gunpla battling. Sei could work on some real giant robots!

...But the drawback is that Build Fighters as it is is able to pull out all the stops to make the fights entertaining. If the fights became ones involving actual personal danger to people, I don't think they could live up to that standard.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

You are looking at it all wrong.
Plavsky particles are from space, the winner of the world cup just qualified himself for the space cup!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We go the Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal way. First season is based on Earth and is pretty lighthearted and fun, second season switches focus to other planets and everyone dies, Tomino-style. In fact, bring Tomino back to write Gundam Build Fighters II.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm up for Zeta Build Fighters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

We go the Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal way. First season is based on Earth and is pretty lighthearted and fun, second season switches focus to other planets and everyone dies, Tomino-style. In fact, bring Tomino back to write Gundam Build Fighters II.

When your Gunpla dies, so do you :commissar:.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When your Gunpla dies, so do you :commissar:.

For the Saturday Morning Cartoon dub you get banished to the Zeon Realm.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, I forgot that Reiji could even do some weird teleportation stuff because its been so long since he's done it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I figure the whole "Reiji is an alien" thing is finally gonna come back whenever the chairman reveals what he's up to.

Dude has one heck of a grin going on in the OP, after all!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't know, I think I'd want it to actually be good. :smuggo:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I find that the series got a lot more grim now, with Aila's PAIN-INDUCING PERFORMANCE ENCHANCING TORTURE HELMET. Also, first signs of technology that's a little weird for our time apart from the black box that is Plavski particles - Yeah, I know the series takes place in the future. Everything else now, even the GunPla mafia guy was a little goofy. Even if he had a fight with Ramba/Sei's dad, he still took off/and/or/ was carrying no deadly weapons as far as I remember.

Sorry for spouting :patriot:-esque stuff, but the speculation that Aila is a street urchin may be accurate, but for the record (as if Sunrise bothered to do such research) - at least in the present - there are absolutely no street urchins in Finland because of how our social services work. Yeah, some weird cases can be out there, but no "Sleeping on train station benches" -stuff. To be fair though, the show could be throwing us a curve ball here.

Is it just me or did Aila's co-pilot/doctor guy seem genuinely concerned for Aila's welfare in the end? (Well, that doesn't excuse him pushing the button at all, though). Also, what the heck is Flana Institute? Some sort of education system?... Newtype poo poo? Apparently Flanagan Institute is a thing in Gundam continuity.

I liked someone pointing out they didn't cut to the grandson when Quebeley was tearing poo poo up in a frenzy.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I mostly noticed how little actual animation of the Quebeley there was, me thinks someone is having more trouble animating that thing than the Astray :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Or they're just saving budget for the final episodes. :black101:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The episode was outsourced to Nakamura Pro, its one of the cooldown episodes in their cycle; the last 5-6 or w/e are back on the top staff.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or the rest of the group was mesmerized by the brutal stomping that was happening and Reiji was just Reiji and acted first instead of watching?

You're reading too hard into it. Mostly because if he loving teleported into the middle of the stage at a World Championship the crowd would have seen and poo poo their collective pants about it.

I was joking about the whole teleporting thing, I just thought it was funny that nobody noticed Reiji running up to the stage when he was at the back of the group.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dessel posted:

Sorry for spouting :patriot:-esque stuff, but the speculation that Aila is a street urchin may be accurate, but for the record (as if Sunrise bothered to do such research) - at least in the present - there are absolutely no street urchins in Finland because of how our social services work. Yeah, some weird cases can be out there, but no "Sleeping on train station benches" -stuff. To be fair though, the show could be throwing us a curve ball here.

Is it just me or did Aila's co-pilot/doctor guy seem genuinely concerned for Aila's welfare in the end? (Well, that doesn't excuse him pushing the button at all, though). Also, what the heck is Flana Institute? Some sort of education system?... Newtype poo poo? Apparently Flanagan Institute is a thing in Gundam continuity.

I liked someone pointing out they didn't cut to the grandson when Quebeley was tearing poo poo up in a frenzy.

Aila being from Finland is a roundabout G Gundam reference because a huge portion of her character is taken from the character Allenby from that show, who was from Sweden. I don't expect the writers of Build Fighters really know anything about the country beyond "There's snow and white people there". Aila's chaperone being both willing to subject her to the dangers of the Embody system but deeply concerned about her welfare is another G Gundam callback; the aforementioned Allenby had a system in her mech called the Berserker system which has similar effects to Aila's Embody system(crazily heightened performance, loss of sanity/consciousness, bodily damage, uncontrolled berserker rage) and her doctor/minder went through a similar dilemma there.

The Flana Institute is basically a bald-faced Flanagan Institute callback. The Flanagan Institute was responsible for weaponizing the first known newtypes in the original Gundam, just like Build Fighter's Flana Institute basically manufactured a newtype in Aila.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Kanos posted:

I think I'd go for "Gundam Build Fighters 2: GUNPLA DETECTIVES", where they just follow Sei's dad around solving cases.

I imagine cheery young assistants would right in with the Fun Police.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I don't want to follow Sei's dad. That dude is the biggest rear end in a top hat. His son is the world championships of Gunpla and he's sitting at home on the couch whining that his wife isn't there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hey man, he left his son a piece of junk Sei just tossed without a second thought dramatic parting gift to show his support. Dude can't just show up in person after that, it'd be too embarrassing. :v:

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I don't want to follow Sei's dad. That dude is the biggest rear end in a top hat. His son is the world championships of Gunpla and he's sitting at home on the couch whining that his wife isn't there.

Have you seen his wife? Guy spends months or years hanging out with sweaty goon police, can you blame him?

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Caros posted:

Have you seen his wife? Guy spends months or years hanging out with sweaty goon police, can you blame him?

Yes. He choose to do that in the first place. Pretty sure coming in second at the world tourney means he could just sit around running the shop indefinitely. Gunpla nerds would've come from the world over to hang out, especially seeing as how they all seem to have tons of disposable income. Besides he is hanging out with random children ten minutes away from where his son is in the middle of the most important thing he has ever done. I know it's an anime trope, but to say his dad is emotionally abusive is putting it lightly. The correct response to Sei realizing Renji spent the day hanging out with his dad is an emotional breakdown not, "Fighto~! I'll try hard too!"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Why would he have a nervous breakdown over it? Sei's dad did not up and abandon his family. They are OK with him travelling around the world to promote Gunpla. They would probably be doing it with him, if Sei wasn't still in grade school.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the dude didn't just bail at midnight or something, he left to do work and poo poo. Why would he have a breakdown over that?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea the dude didn't just bail at midnight or something, he left to do work and poo poo. Why would he have a breakdown over that?

I'd be pretty pissed if my dad left me as a child for years to go "promote Gunpla", I got into the world's biggest gunpla tournament, he showed up at the tournament and spent a couple hours talking with my partner, and couldn't be hosed to spend ten minutes to come visit me in person and say "Go for it, champ".

Sei's dad is the worst dad. Ral is basically doing for Sei and Reiji what Sei's dad should be doing for him.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kanos posted:

I'd be pretty pissed if my dad left me as a child for years to go "promote Gunpla", I got into the world's biggest gunpla tournament, he showed up at the tournament and spent a couple hours talking with my partner, and couldn't be hosed to spend ten minutes to come visit me in person and say "Go for it, champ".

Sei's dad is the worst dad. Ral is basically doing for Sei and Reiji what Sei's dad should be doing for him.

Meanwhile in the real world there are soldiers and sailor's on deployment missing birthdays, holidays, and other special events out being the worlds worst parents.

This is just a cartoon though so whatever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Meanwhile in the real world there are soldiers and sailor's on deployment missing birthdays, holidays, and other special events out being the worlds worst parents.

This is just a cartoon though so whatever.

That's not what I meant at all, but I guess you could read it that way? The point isn't that his dad had to leave to work for an extended period of time, it's that his dad was ten minutes away and spent like six hours teaching two random kids how to build gunpla(part of his job) without taking a ten minute break to say hello to his son. It's not like he didn't have time to do so, since the first thing he does once he's done arresting Gunpla Mafia guy is to drive to their house and sit on his rear end moping about how his wife isn't home for a few days.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kanos posted:

That's not what I meant at all, but I guess you could read it that way? The point isn't that his dad had to leave to work for an extended period of time, it's that his dad was ten minutes away and spent like six hours teaching two random kids how to build gunpla(part of his job) without taking a ten minute break to say hello to his son. It's not like he didn't have time to do so, since the first thing he does once he's done arresting Gunpla Mafia guy is to drive to their house and sit on his rear end moping about how his wife isn't home for a few days.

The thing is though, it wasn't like he was just dinking around for 6 hours, he was promoting gunpla which is his cover job, and doing his real job of catching gunpla mafia jerks. Yeah it sucks he arrested a wanted gunpla criminal and taking him to gunpla jail(?) and couldn't spend time with his kid. And I can't fault the guy for going home to spend time with his wife while the kid is away cause you know its been a while since hes seen his wife too (if he went straight to Sei's side instead of looking for his wife would you be complaining hes the worlds worst husband?).

I'm sure hes not going to spend the rest of the tournament sitting at home up to his ears in instant ramen, I think he'll be there when it'd be most dramatic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

The thing is though, it wasn't like he was just dinking around for 6 hours, he was promoting gunpla which is his cover job, and doing his real job of catching gunpla mafia jerks. Yeah it sucks he arrested a wanted gunpla criminal and taking him to gunpla jail(?) and couldn't spend time with his kid. And I can't fault the guy for going home to spend time with his wife while the kid is away cause you know its been a while since hes seen his wife too (if he went straight to Sei's side instead of looking for his wife would you be complaining hes the worlds worst husband?).

I'm sure hes not going to spend the rest of the tournament sitting at home up to his ears in instant ramen, I think he'll be there when it'd be most dramatic.

Man, just go say hello to your son! For ten minutes! "Hey, son, I'm proud of you! Go get em, champ!". "Thanks, dad who I haven't seen since I was little, you're now free to go back to busting Gunpla Mafia members and wearing disguises for no reason while neglecting me during my formative years!" :colbert:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kanos posted:

Man, just go say hello to your son! For ten minutes! "Hey, son, I'm proud of you! Go get em, champ!". "Thanks, dad who I haven't seen since I was little, you're now free to go back to busting Gunpla Mafia members and wearing disguises for no reason while neglecting me during my formative years!" :colbert:

For all we know he could have come home every now and then like he was just now. Besides, are we really in a place to criticize his dad for not being around in Japan of all places?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TARDISman posted:

For all we know he could have come home every now and then like he was just now. Besides, are we really in a place to criticize his dad for not being around in Japan of all places?

Well of course I make judgments about other cartoon cultures and make assumptions about their parenting skills based on the 2 episodes I see them in out of the 20 I haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

That was more of a joke about salarymen who never come home, but ok!

• Locked thread