Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Here's my newest FPV vehicle :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

Vitamin J posted:

That kit is awesome isn't it? I couldn't believe the quality of the foam molding. Did you build it so the wings are removable?

Don't worry too much about crashing, as long as they go in wings level then it'll survive most crashes pretty drat well. The way it distributes the shock spreads it out and keeps from tearing the foam.

A bungee launcher is a great investment for a wing, especially one like the RVJet with the PT on the front. Makes it super easy to launch every time:
http://fliteevolution.com/product/complete-bungee-launch-kit/

Actually 80% throttle after trimming it out and tweaking the center of gravity just launches it out of my hands perfectly with no effort. Took a few big hits as my battery pulled the adhesive off of my velcro, but it suffered no damage which was drat impressive. Ordered a 1.3ghz fpv system this week so i can't wait to get this really flying.

Also the wings are removable but I am not sure I will be worrying about that. The friction between the tubes and the panels was way to great to deal with pulling it out for transport plus it fits in my prius perfectly. I wont be doing the short wing version much because I plan on running a huge 12000mah battery combo.

tehk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 12, 2014

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wojcigitty posted:

I will probably be flying with the owner of that quad on Friday, definitely need to give it a try. That thing looks awesome.

I got out to a frozen lake this weekend and had a blast.

Edit: video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3WqLdl0N3g

Nice flying as always!

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is there some sort of instruction manual online for a Martinez gimbal? I am having the damnedest time figuring mine out. I'm sure I need to update the firmware on it but what does the button on it do?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is there some sort of instruction manual online for a Martinez gimbal?

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/brushless-gimbal-v3-0-controller-module-w-sensor-martinez.html

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I picked up a DX7s a few months ago and I want to unload it. Are these things hard to get rid of? I am going UHF and it looks like a Taranis would have been a better buy.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

tehk posted:

I picked up a DX7s a few months ago and I want to unload it. Are these things hard to get rid of? I am going UHF and it looks like a Taranis would have been a better buy.

No, people buy them all day long. You can probably expect ~150 for it or so if it's in good condition. Put it on RCG/Helifreak/Runryder.

Example:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=601963

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Check out FE's new RTF Talon UAV. I have mixed feelings on this plane, the cargo capacity and utility is unmatched, but the way it looks and the flight characteristics aren't the greatest. As a straight aerial photography platform I don't think it can be beat, though. I'm working with a customer now to use one as an autonomous aerial mapping platform to collect agriculture data.

http://fliteevolution.com/product/fe-1720g-rtf-aerobot/

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

How would you compare it to the skyhunter? I'm thinking of building a bigger plane this summer an the skyhunter was high up my list.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
If you are a hobbyist and want to fly through trees and have fun then get the Skyhunter. If you want to carry a nice camera, map terrain, conduct experiments, or fly for very long duration then get the Talon.

Loaded with batts the SH will fly 20+ miles and over an hour but it's more fun banking hard and ducking under power lines. The Talon can carry more batts with lower power consumption but doesn't fly nearly as sporty. Both are chinese foam RC planes, so it's all relative of course.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

If you are a hobbyist and want to fly through trees and have fun then get the Skyhunter. If you want to carry a nice camera, map terrain, conduct experiments, or fly for very long duration then get the Talon.

Loaded with batts the SH will fly 20+ miles and over an hour but it's more fun banking hard and ducking under power lines. The Talon can carry more batts with lower power consumption but doesn't fly nearly as sporty. Both are chinese foam RC planes, so it's all relative of course.

The skyhunter sounds more like what I'm after then. I'm enjoying the caipirinha and really want to try and explore that first with some longer flights before I go all :shepspends: with more planes.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Edit NM.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I picked up an Estes Proto X the other day and drat I am having fun buzzing it around the house and annoying my wife and dogs with it. It's so tiny!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I picked up an Estes Proto X the other day and drat I am having fun buzzing it around the house and annoying my wife and dogs with it. It's so tiny!

I'd suggest getting new blades now. They fall off super easy since they didn't screw them on. I've not broken any, but I lost one.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Yeah, I already had a close call with losing a white one. Where did you find them in stock to order extras?

Scipio Africanus
Dec 4, 2005

Enslave the Elephants!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Yeah, I already had a close call with losing a white one. Where did you find them in stock to order extras?

I just lost three blades in the same crash :negative:

The only place I've seen spares online is at http://www.banggood.com/Hubsan-H111-Q4-Nano-RC-Quadcopter-Spare-Parts-Blade-H111-05-p-916562.html at $3.25 a pack. Different colors, but functionally identical to the Estes Proto X propellers.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Thanks for that link. I ordered some in Jan from action sports, they never shipped. Emailed yesterday to find out wtf, and I got a refund with out any word from the company.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I got some from a local hobby store here in Australia via eBay.

There's also a guy selling what appears to be 3D printed prop guards that stick on via the battery cover. I bought it and it works well enough. They come in a pack of 2.

As an added bonus they work well in totally darkness for catching the light from the LEDs.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Do you have a link to the prop guards?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Do you have a link to the prop guards?

http://bit.ly/1h83hp3

Got them from USA to me in aus in 3 days. Really nice guy too.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
cross postin from the metalworking thread: I'm making new motor mounts for DT750's to fit regular 19x16 bolt patterns

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm making a replacement for the black mounting piece in this picture, but with a proper mounting hole pattern:

CrazyLittle posted:

Made two more as well (need 4 total)

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
^ - What kind of mill/lathe do you use?

Flew this mini for the first time today :

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ease posted:

^ - What kind of mill/lathe do you use?

cheapass harbor freight 7x12 mini lathe

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

About 50% finished my ground station. I used a pelican storm case and bent up a enclosure out of 14g stainless. I bent legs on the panel and a recessed button section instead of a flat plate so I'd have plenty of places to route wires and mount perfboard for the arduino diversity controller and video amplification circuits. Behind the brass I keep my two receivers mounted vertically like a graphics cards to a backing pan. Behind them is a 5000mAh 3s. All the wiring is done with JST plugs and power distribution plates from dead multirotors. Just have to finalize the top panel for the display and battery monitor. I was going to put a crosshair antenna behind the monitor but I can't seem to tune mine right and a quick portable skew planar seems to be the better portable option.

If anyone is looking to do something similar and needs panel let me know. I have some fun CNC punches to play and a few brakes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have been watching the RC Eye one xtreme intently since it was announced. I am getting sick of waiting for it to be released (any day now, we swear!).

Is there a similar craft (brushless, can cary a gopro, cheap) out there? Can I build a similar craft for a similar price?

My main wants are brushless, and toughness.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Do you already have a tx? You could probably build one for close to that but it's going to be garbage parts just like that thing is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it garbage? I was unaware. I have a DX6i currently that I use with my MQX.

What is the hot DIY quad these days? I'd like to stay under $200 all up if I can.

Any parts lists?

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

Probably a DJI F450 clone. They are a dime a dozen and some are pretty compatible with the real DJI and TBS stuff so you could always jump up in quality.

Depending on the flight controller you can get one built up with HK stuff for under 200.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

If anyone here is in the Chattanooga area there are four DJI Phantom 1's at Bargain Hunt for around $300 each.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

tehk posted:

Probably a DJI F450 clone. They are a dime a dozen and some are pretty compatible with the real DJI and TBS stuff so you could always jump up in quality.

Depending on the flight controller you can get one built up with HK stuff for under 200.

yeah, get one of these Turnigy RTF quads (where the parts are pretty good)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dy_to_Fly_.html

And then order a spare DJI clone frame to go with it, so that when the SK450 frame breaks an arm or something, just move all the parts over to the DJI clone.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__49725__Q450_V3_Glass_Fiber_Quadcopter_Frame_450mm_Integrated_PCB_Version.html

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Do you have an attorney on speed-dial for when you eventually get arrested under terrorism charges of possessing a suitcase nuke?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

CrazyLittle posted:

yeah, get one of these Turnigy RTF quads (where the parts are pretty good)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dy_to_Fly_.html

Indeed, just look at the motors. It's worth it to spend a bit more and get something with decent parts.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Bit the bullet and got a 9XR and a Nano QX. Flying that poo poo is harder than it looks, especially indoors. Better with some expo, but will still take building some muscle memory.

I have a couple of FT airframes cut out/half assembled that I just need to order electronics for, next paycheck.

Only issue so far is that I can't actually connect the 9XR battery to the charger I bought. I'll need to resolve this before the voltage gets too low. Anyone know what adapter to get/make for the official 9XR 2200mAh battery? I may just chop it and stick on an XT60.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

EpicPhoton posted:

Bit the bullet and got a 9XR and a Nano QX. Flying that poo poo is harder than it looks, especially indoors. Better with some expo, but will still take building some muscle memory.

I have a couple of FT airframes cut out/half assembled that I just need to order electronics for, next paycheck.

Only issue so far is that I can't actually connect the 9XR battery to the charger I bought. I'll need to resolve this before the voltage gets too low. Anyone know what adapter to get/make for the official 9XR 2200mAh battery? I may just chop it and stick on an XT60.

It should just have a red jst connecter and the white balance plug on it. You could get a jst charge cable from hobbyking or get the connector some wire and banana plugs to make one. What type of charger do you have?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14540__4mm_Banana_plug_with_6_x_JST_plug_charging_harness.html

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

You have the opportunity to take a one way trip with a crew of ~20 to Mars. You'll be supplied, sent food and equipment once you land.
But you might never come back. You might never talk face-to-face with anyone from back home again. You might die on a cold, dusty rock.

Do you go?
Accucell 6, which won't charge via balance plug, I found out. Thanks for the info. Mostly I wanted to confirm that the red plug was indeed JST.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

EpicPhoton posted:

Accucell 6, which won't charge via balance plug, I found out. Thanks for the info. Mostly I wanted to confirm that the red plug was indeed JST.

The 9xr receiver battery is a bit strange in that its discharge and overcharge protection makes it behave a bit weirdly with some chargers. On my charger it will report it has 12.6v as soon as it starts charging. But will sit like that as the mah keeps going up.

I don't know if that is an issue with my charger or just something normal with that type of battery. It still works fine though.

EpicPhoton
Feb 1, 2013

Do you go?
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for that. I was able to find the adapter I need. XT60 a decent connector? Thanks for the help everyone.

Now to keep my cat from chasing my Nano around the apartment...

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

EpicPhoton posted:

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for that. I was able to find the adapter I need. XT60 a decent connector? Thanks for the help everyone.

Now to keep my cat from chasing my Nano around the apartment...

XT60's are great. Easy to solder and they are durable. They don't wear out over time like Deans connectors.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mashed_penguin posted:

XT60's are great. Easy to solder and they are durable. They don't wear out over time like Deans connectors.

Yeah, if I wasn't already 4mm banana across the board, I would go with xt60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Here's my latest toy, a Tarot 650. Building this to try and do some professional photo work, filming, and sightseeing. Just waiting on my APM 2.5 to come on it's way from Hobbyking. Some people have been getting insane flight times on this frame. I am hoping to get some really good times of at least 30 mins of normal flight (not hover) on these T-Motor 3110 470kv with 16x5 props and 2x 5000mah 4S. I bought the GoPro3 gimbal...but I don't have a GP3 yet lol. I like this frame because it looks high tech and professional (won't get the hairy eyeball from potential customers as if I pulled out a home-build quad) and it folds up small enough to fit in the trunk of my Miata! It's also large enough to take a DSLR in the future.