Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

Was reading up on John Paul Jones on wikipedia for some bizarre reason (seriously, I have no clue what train of thought led me to here), I came across a (potential) example of grenades getting used in ship of the line combat:

I have never before heard of this being used in boarding actions. I guess it maybe makes sense to have an anti-personnel indirect weapon to chuck down into the lower gun decks to harry the gun crews (maybe set off some powder?) but I can't imagine it would be more useful than swivel guns from a prominence firing down, having probably a larger payload of pistol or rifle balls being spat out at much higher velocity with the benefit of aim, let alone the havok caused by the big guns firing grape and canister and even langrage. Unless they really were meant to be tossed down into lower decks. I don't know much about the era. Were cannon ever mounted on weatherdeck, or was that generally avoided but out of necessity since you seem like easy pickings to any rear end in a top hat in the fighting tops or crow's nest with a musket or shotgun. If nobody used the weather deck I do guess that would explain why a grenade might work better than the swivel gun.

One thing I'll say is that while small guns etc. might be a more effective way to do it, you might not have enough small guns, or you might have small guns and a dude with a grenade. More boom is often better.

e: This comes up a lot in this thread.

"Why did people do Y? X seems clearly better" and like 90% of the time it's a matter of material availability.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Depending on how you count 'war crimes' the commandant of Andersonville was tried after the Civil War for abusing and murdering prisoners. I think Hegel mentioned a 30YW general tried for war crimes by his own side, but I may not be remembering that correctly.

Henry Wirz was executed. He looks to have been the only Confederate to have a huge federal trial and be executed because of it. A few other guerrillas working for the Confederates were also executed, but on a more local level.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Jesus Christ. I just watched Threads for the first time. I didn't think I'd react like this. I'm used to gore and horror, but I threw up. I threw up without being ill. That's never happened to me before.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Jesus Christ. I just watched Threads for the first time. I didn't think I'd react like this. I'm used to gore and horror, but I threw up. I threw up without being ill. That's never happened to me before.

Which part did it?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which part did it?

It was right about when Ruth had her baby and they flash the effects of radiation on pregant women on the screen.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Threads is one of my favourite movies, and I honestly don't know why. I guess it's quite literally a 'horror' movie.

Also, the first time I watched it was during a magic mushroom trip. That probably wasn't the greatest of life-decisions I ever made.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Frostwerks posted:

Was reading up on John Paul Jones on wikipedia for some bizarre reason (seriously, I have no clue what train of thought led me to here), I came across a (potential) example of grenades getting used in ship of the line combat:

I have never before heard of this being used in boarding actions. I guess it maybe makes sense to have an anti-personnel indirect weapon to chuck down into the lower gun decks to harry the gun crews (maybe set off some powder?) but I can't imagine it would be more useful than swivel guns from a prominence firing down, having probably a larger payload of pistol or rifle balls being spat out at much higher velocity with the benefit of aim, let alone the havok caused by the big guns firing grape and canister and even langrage. Unless they really were meant to be tossed down into lower decks. I don't know much about the era. Were cannon ever mounted on weatherdeck, or was that generally avoided but out of necessity since you seem like easy pickings to any rear end in a top hat in the fighting tops or crow's nest with a musket or shotgun. If nobody used the weather deck I do guess that would explain why a grenade might work better than the swivel gun.

Hand grenades were a standard thing in every navy in that era.

The magnificent Master and Commander shows their use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2zfbvzeBuA&t=338s

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I didn't get any response in the WW1 thread so maybe someone here might have some insight (counter-factual I know):

Supposing that Franz Ferdinand's driver didn't take a wrong turn in Sarajevo and Europe had to wait a year or two for some other dumb Casus Belli before they could start shooting. In that time Britain has to deal with Ireland falling into civil war over the Home rule bill, how might have this affected their reaction to a European war? My understanding was that WW1 allowed them to postpone Home Rule for Ireland and send some of the sabre-rattlers on both sides into combat on the continent before anything could go down at home, but if Ireland had already descended into civil war when a general European war broke out would this have stifled Britain's ability to react to what was happening abroad?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
A deviation from history that big is impossible to predict. History has no set laws like physics (despite the best attempts of the marxist school). For all we know, Wilhelm II would have sent a congratulatory telegram to the rebels and set off war with Britain that way. Or he suggests sending German troops, leading to an Alliance with Britain that causes the Entente to fall apart. That Britain would be reluctant to enter a general European war if they had their hands full seems plausible, but it is impossible to say for sure.

Strabo
Feb 25, 2011

khwarezm posted:

I didn't get any response in the WW1 thread so maybe someone here might have some insight (counter-factual I know):

Supposing that Franz Ferdinand's driver didn't take a wrong turn in Sarajevo and Europe had to wait a year or two for some other dumb Casus Belli before they could start shooting. In that time Britain has to deal with Ireland falling into civil war over the Home rule bill, how might have this affected their reaction to a European war? My understanding was that WW1 allowed them to postpone Home Rule for Ireland and send some of the sabre-rattlers on both sides into combat on the continent before anything could go down at home, but if Ireland had already descended into civil war when a general European war broke out would this have stifled Britain's ability to react to what was happening abroad?

There is a WW1 thread?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Strabo posted:

There is a WW1 thread?

It's in DnD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608738

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well the explains why no one knows about it.

Max Hastings agrues in Catastrophe that it was going to happen, Franz Ferdinand or no Franz Ferdinand.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ArchangeI posted:

A deviation from history that big is impossible to predict. History has no set laws like physics (despite the best attempts of the marxist school). For all we know, Wilhelm II would have sent a congratulatory telegram to the rebels and set off war with Britain that way. Or he suggests sending German troops, leading to an Alliance with Britain that causes the Entente to fall apart. That Britain would be reluctant to enter a general European war if they had their hands full seems plausible, but it is impossible to say for sure.

I can't really see the Kaiser sending another poorly thought out telegram in this situation, his message to the Boers had already done nothing but enrage the Brits and I can't imagine he'd want to worsen relations yet further for no good reason. Also, the rebels in this case would have technically have been the Northern Unionists who would have been trying to overturn the Home Rule bill and maintain a close link with Britain, among Catholic Nationalists Republicanism would only gain mass support after the Easter Rising so rather than a straightforward case of expansionist imperialism like in South Africa you were dealing with a confusing civil war between Nationalist and Unionist factions in Ireland while the British tried to re-enforce order and put Irish Home rule into action. I can't see this appealing to the sort of Romanticist underdog sentiment that the Boer war or Greek war of Independace would've, the other European powers would have stayed out and stayed quiet if there wasn't a war on.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 22, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The unspoken assumption seems to be that if things were slightly different, neither the Allies or the Central Powers would have found some new and unhistorical way to gently caress things up.

I think I agree with the previous poster who said that the situation is far too unpredictable.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Fangz posted:

The unspoken assumption seems to be that if things were slightly different, neither the Allies or the Central Powers would have found some new and unhistorical way to gently caress things up.

khwarezm posted:

Supposing that Franz Ferdinand's driver didn't take a wrong turn in Sarajevo and Europe had to wait a year or two for some other dumb Casus Belli before they could start shooting.

I not assuming that at all, I'm just wondering if Britain might have been discouraged from getting involved if they had to deal with an Irish war. Though yeah, there probably are too many factors at work to know.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

khwarezm posted:

I can't really see the Kaiser sending another poorly thought out telegram in this situation, his message to the Boers had already done nothing but enrage the Brits and I can't imagine he'd want to worsen relations yet further for no good reason.

Except everything Wilhelm had previously done suggests he was perfectly capable of doing such a stupid thing if not something worse. The Kaiser made a career out of obviously terrible lapses of judgement. Contempoaries openly speculated about his sanity.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wilhelm had a great habit of basically just agreeing with the person he talked to last.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I'm a historian specializing in 17th century North American colonial history. Specifically, I will be in the archives next month researching the Dutch invasion of New York in 1673. It has never really been written about, because all records of this event were thoroughly redacted and suppressed. Here's a quick summary:

1609: Henry Hudson explores the Hudson River.
1614: Dutch Trading post established in New York Harbor, on Governor's island.
1625: Fort New Amsterdam is given city rights. Manhattan begins being colonized.
1664: The Dutch and English wage war. New Amsterdam is surrounded by British ships and capitulates. The city and surrounding Dutch lands are ceded to Britain and renamed New York. Elsewhere in a naval battle Cornelis Evertszoon, son of a Dutch admiral by the same name, is captured and imprisoned in London.
1673: Cornelis Evertszoon is released, and considered a war hero. He is given command of a small fleet from Zeeland and the mission of disrupting English trade in the Caribbean. Halfway across the Atlantic, winds blow him north. He decides to abandon his mission and invade New York. In August of 1673 he is greeted as a liberator by the Dutch inhabitants and they join him in an uprising which deposes English rule. He appoints Antony Colvert (about whom almost no information has survived) as governor. Completely without orders from Holland he begins re-establishing the colony of New Netherland, re-instituting the old legal system and issuing edicts ordering English towns in his domain to submit to Dutch rule. Things get very intense very fast:

quote:

Sept 11th, 1673:

"Whereas it is found that many strangers are daily passing in and out this city of New Orange, without giving any account of themselves or their business, or whence they come or whither they go, which at this conjuncture of time ought no wise be tolerated nor allowed in a well governed city. In order then to prevent and obviate the same in future, We, the Commanders and Hon*"'* Council of War of this our newly recovered Province of New Netherland, do order and direct, that all strangers who have not taken the oath of allegiance nor obtained any license from us, shall depart within 24 hours after the publication hereof, from this city and its jurisdiction, and that from this time forward no one but our faithful subjects only shall presume to enter this city of New Orange until they have previously obtained our license to that effect, on pain and penalty to ail those who shall be found within this city and its jurisdiction, contravening this our order, of being considered enemies of our State, and, consequently, treated as spies and disturbers of its public peace. And that this, our order, may be more effectually enforced, we have to interdict and forbid all inhabitants of this city of New Orange, in their houses to entertain, lodge or give beds to any strangers or outside people of what Nation soever they may be, before furnishing the names of those strangers and outside people, and of the places of their abode, to the Schout of this city before the going down of the sun, under a fine of six hundred guilders, in Beaver, for each person that will by them be entertained contrary to this our order, and in addition, according to the circumstances of the case to be arbitrarily punished as an example to others ; and the Officer of this city is further required and charged to pay strict attention that this our order be executed according to its tenor, and to deliver to the Officer in the Fort, every evening before drum-beat, the names of the outside people with which he will be furnished. Let every one be warned hereby and take heed of damage. Dated Fort William Hendrick, as above."
(Signed), CoRNELis Evertse, Junior, Jacob Benckes.

I recently found a document which shows the rules for soldiers that were implemented during the Dutch invasion. For instance:

quote:

Whereas experience has shown that great disorders have arisen and are growing more
numerous every day among the people here in Fort Willem Hendrick; to prevent and obviate
the same, it is therefore, resolved to commit to paper some necessary orders extracted from
the Articles of War ; and to the end that no man shall plead ignorance, the corporals are hereby strictly ordered and commanded to recommend and to read them to their men.
First. Whosoever blasphemes the name of the Lord or his Holy Word shall be for the
first offence fined and committed three days to prison on bread and water ; and for the second
offence shall have his tongue bored with a red hot iron, and he shall furthermore be banished
out of this government and the United Provinces as a villain.
2. Whosoever shall have uttered any words tending to sedition, mutiny or disobedience, or heard them uttered without making them known to his officer, shall suffer death.
3. Whosoever shall go further than cannon range from the garrison, without his officer's consent, shall undergo corporal punishment.
'B^n'Joleers were little wooden cases covered with leather, of which every musketeer used to wear 12 hanging on a
shoulder belt, each of them containing the charge of powder for a musket. They are no longer in use, having given place to the cartouoh-box. — Ed. .624 NEW-YORK COLONIAL MANUSCRIPTS :
4. Whosoever neglects his guard or any duty committed to him, shall suffer death, and whosoever neglects his parade, his watch shall be assigned to another and he shall be seated
three hours on the wooden horse and nevertheless he must stand his guard.
5. Any soldier found asleep on his post or whilst standing sentry shall be flogged without mercy ; in like manner the soldier shall be punished who will leave his post either by night or by day.
6. Whosoever shall absent himself from his guard-house, without his corporal's permission,
shall suffer corporal punishment.
7. Whosoever smites another with sheathed sword, stick, stone or otherwise and blood
flows, shall suffer loss of hand.
8. Whosoever in a quarrel or fight shall call his comrade to help him, shall be hanged
and strangled.
9. Whosoever shall be found at night out of the Fort without his Captain's permission, shall
suffer corporal punishment.
10. Whoso challenges to fight shall be subject to corporal punishment ; in like manner shall be punished the corporal, sergeant or other officer commanding the guard, if he be cognizant
thereof and doth not hinder it. 11. Whoso enters or leaves the Fort by any other way than through the ordinary gate, shall be hanged and strangled.
12. The soldier who shall refuse to obey the orders of his officer or others in command over
him, shall suffer corporal punishment; in like manner shall be punished whoso disobeys any
order communicated by beat of drum.
13. Whosoever shall be found drunk on guard shall be broken and expelled the company.
Item, if any man shall commit any evil or forbidden act when drunk, he shall not be excused on that account, but therefore be punished the more severely.
14. The soldier who resists his officer or commander shall suffer death.
15. If the Provost or his men take one or more prisoners, no one, be he who he may, shall oppose it, nor rescue nor endeavor to rescue them ; all on pain of corporal punishment.
16. The corporals shall take good care that their men be continually at the guard ; pay
particular attention that no strong drink be brought, much less drank, in the guard-house;
constantly teach the men how to handle their arms; punctually observe all orders which will, from time to time, be issued ; take good care that their men obey the same, and, above all things, pay attention that no man (the city Magistrates and those of the Fort excepted) shall come here within its gate without permission, much less be suffered to go on the batteries.
17. All soldiers shall clean their quarters at least once a week and be careful that no filth be found before their barracks, but remove the same without the Fort, on pain of being punished
according to the circumstances of the case. In like manner shall be severely punished those
sentries who happen to ease themselves or permit others to ease themselves on the ramparts
or breastworks ; the sentry near whom it is found, shall have to justify it or be himself punished.
18. During the night the corporals shall relieve their sentries every half hour, and during
the day according to circumstances, and order them to stand erect during their guard or walk
near their sentry-box ; wherefore the soldiers are strictly ordered to obey them ; and the
corporals shall also take care that the arms in guard be loaded with a loose ball, and whenever
it becomes necessary to discharge the piece in order to clean it, the same shall be done at the Battery, the ball being previously drawn. Furthermore, care shall be taken that the orderedVOLUME XXIII. 625
powder shall be kept in the Bandoleers, to which end the corporals of each guard shall inspect the Bandoleers; also the sergeants and corporals shall continually see that nothing be deficient
in the arms; and whoso shall be discovered to have sold, or to have not been duly careful of, his ammunition, be it powder, ball or match, shall be rigorously punished.
19. All other offences and crimes not specified in this ordinance shall be punished according
to the placard, laws and customs of war. Dated in Fort Willem Hendrick, 4"" of October, 1673.

It seems to me like the governor had established a militaristic dictatorship. But I'm not sure, maybe these were normal regulations for soldiers in the 17th century and my reaction is hyperbolic. I want to figure out how bad this was in comparison to other things going on at the time. Where do I look? Are these rules for soldiers normal?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That doesn't seem all that different from modern regulations for armed forces. Punishments are way more harsh but the regulations are basically the same.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Hello twoday and thank you for picking the 17th, greatest of all centuries, home to examples of human worth and dignity which will DEFINITELY NOT make you want to shoot yourself such as

um

Anyway, 17th and 18th century armies, like civilian societies, are ruled with harsh laws on paper which may or may not (often they do not) match harsh enforcement of those laws in practice. Part of the reason regulations look so strict is that they are compensating for a kind of despair about enforcement. (If someone is selling alcohol to the garrison on the down low, for instance, the most likely suspect is their colonel.)

Early modern punishment is flamboyantly brutal since the aim is to make a hideous example of the malefactor, but it's also sporadic and haphazard.

If you want to look further into this, every contract has articles of war attached to it, which would be read out loud when the outfit is mustered. Great commanders also drew up articles of war at the beginning of a big campaign. However, you should also temper this with analyses of what people would be doing in real life--do the criminal records for this period survive? Garrison records? See how many drunken soldiers there are; my guess is that very few of them are expelled from the company, since they're part of its little society and it would be expensive and a lot of hassle to hire/train a replacement. And so on.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 24, 2014

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I can see the military rules being excessively harsh on paper like that, but would the same hold for edicts issued for civilians? Like the rules about entering the city I posted as an example?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

twoday posted:

I can see the military rules being excessively harsh on paper like that, but would the same hold for edicts issued for civilians? Like the rules about entering the city I posted as an example?
I think so. If there are civilians living in Fort Willem Hendrick, the military authorities are the city authorities as well and they can do as they please. Or there might be civilian authorities in place but the buck stops with the military authorities, that happens in occupied cities a lot. If the city was already a thing before it was occupied, like New Orange, there's probably going to be a bitchy little power struggle over who's in ultimate command, but it's quite normal for passage into and out of a city to be controlled by the military.

Edit: And thanks to whoever compiled your sources for telling us what bandoliers are, since in his time they've been superseded by ~the cartouche-box.~ :kimchi:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 24, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

twoday posted:

You should do some research into other city ordinances of the time. The 17th century was full of them. I would be very surprised if the English didn't publish city ordinances for New York or the territory of their own. Hell, half the reason is probably to show that the Dutch are in command - the ruler, at the time, was supposed to administer the law, so the best way to show that you were the ruler (and not the other guy) was to make laws. Enforcement is another issue entirely. In fact, one theory is that the punishments ordered are so harsh so that the ruler or whoever does the judging can deviate to the lower end as an act of mercy. If you are condemned to death for cursing with the name of God, you can write a letter to whoever is in charge and tell him that you will never ever do it again ever, and your sentence will probably be commuted (btw. that whole blasphemy thing can be found literally everywhere at the time, even the punishments were similar). Thus the ruler shows what a merciful guy he is.

The German and the French historians have done tons of research on ordinances of the time, they're called police in France and Policey in Germany (of which the Netherlands kinda sorta were a part for some time in the 17th century), if you want to learn more. Not sure how accessible the works are in English.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

twoday posted:

I want to figure out how bad this was in comparison to other things going on at the time. Where do I look? Are these rules for soldiers normal?

Have you got the original rules in ye olde Dutch lying around?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

khwarezm posted:

TBH there wouldn't have been an Easter Rising. Bearing in mind that it was a piddly little thing that really amounted to "hole up in the post office and the biscuit factory until we're all dead" (with the exclusion of Ashbourne, which was HILARIOUS) because of Pearse's mad "blood sacrifice" ideal it really was built on the ability to convince a small number of people that the British weren't going to deal fairly with Ireland. They had to act fast before the legislation got through, otherwise there'd have been less of a justifcation for a rebellion, and even post-rebellion nobody cared until the executions started. Given all this, the Irish War of Independence or ("Civil War" in our counterfactual history) didn't really kick off until 1919, so things are slow-burning anyway. Interestingly, when it all kicked off Montgomery was posted to Cork and was running the COIN operations there. He concluded that he could put it down and it'd just keep popping back up, but it really wasn't worth the effort:

Monty posted:

Personally, my whole attention was given to defeating the rebels but it never bothered me a bit how many houses were burnt. I think I regarded all civilians as 'Shinners' and I never had any dealings with any of them. My own view is that to win a war of this sort, you must be ruthless. Oliver Cromwell, or the Germans, would have settled it in a very short time. Nowadays public opinion precludes such methods, the nation would never allow it, and the politicians would lose their jobs if they sanctioned it. That being so, I consider that Lloyd George was right in what he did, if we had gone on we could probably have squashed the rebellion as a temporary measure, but it would have broken out again like an ulcer the moment we removed the troops. I think the rebels would probably [have] refused battles, and hidden their arms etc. until we had gone.
Wikipedia link.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Koesj posted:

Like I said the Dutch Navy has something like a 2 alcoholic 'units' allowance per day when underway at least, or so my friend said. Don't think it's a ration though, just stuff you can buy tax- and excise-free within limits.

This was gone when I asked last month, the ban is recent enough that the ships I've visited (ZevProv/de Witt) still have bars in the mess/wardrooms. But they only tap beer when in port now.

I'm curious whether the Holland and Karel Doorman classes still have bars, being built after the navy went dry.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH there wouldn't have been an Easter Rising. Bearing in mind that it was a piddly little thing that really amounted to "hole up in the post office and the biscuit factory until we're all dead" (with the exclusion of Ashbourne, which was HILARIOUS) because of Pearse's mad "blood sacrifice" ideal it really was built on the ability to convince a small number of people that the British weren't going to deal fairly with Ireland. They had to act fast before the legislation got through, otherwise there'd have been less of a justifcation for a rebellion, and even post-rebellion nobody cared until the executions started. Given all this, the Irish War of Independence or ("Civil War" in our counterfactual history) didn't really kick off until 1919, so things are slow-burning anyway.

As I recall, the argument goes not that the civil war would have been based around Irish Nationlists, it was that the conservative wings of society (especially in the army), plus the Ulster-men of course, were super opposed to Irish Home Rule at all, and if it got forced through, they would be the ones agitating and shooting at stuff. The way it likely would have played out was a revolt in Ulster, that the army would then refuse to put down, and things would get worse from there.

But as long as the army is off fighting in a war, there's no time to get upset about such things.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The Unionists were much better armed and had support from both the British army and navy. If a pre-WW1 civil war in Ireland had happened, we probably would've seen the Unionists marching south, the Nationalists turning to guerilla warfare then a whole load of civilian massacres.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have a friend up in Belfast who claims that the Unionist/Protestant population was much more widely dispersed pre-Free State but he hasn't gotten back to me with sources yet, but in general the Home Rule movement was not an overwhelming majority down south. Most people just didn't really care. The other problem with assuming that the Unionist march south would be unopposed by the British is the obvious point that one client state would be making war on another, thus resulting in embarrassment for the crown. Scotland was in a similar situation at the time with their 1913 attempted re-establishment of a separate parliament, so refusing to take action to protect the state of affairs agreed upon could further cause problems up there, and actively working to support the actions of a minority opposed to it would be rather telling for Scottish chances. Collusion sixty years early? Possibly. Naval bombardment like in Dublin and Galway? Probably not.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Are there any mil historians doing research into the current war on terror?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

cosmosisjones posted:

Would anyone be able to suggest any good books about the Chosin Resevoir campaign during the Korean War?

David Halberstam's The Coldest Winter is pretty good if you're looking for enjoyable read on Chosin, but the last half of the book basically spends the entire time talking about how retarded MacArthur and Ned Almond were when they got their heads together. Not that he's wrong, but I know some people get bored with that part.

Also, James McPherson is doing an AMA at Ask Historians on Reddit. Hopefully it doesn't suck.
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1yu4nm/ama_announcement_dr_james_mcpherson_author_of/

Oh and, Admiral Nimitz's war diary was released in it's entirety online today by the NWC.

http://usnwc.edu/Academics/Library/Naval-Historical-Collection.aspx#items/show/849

Huge download, but I'm sure as gently caress excited to read it when it finishes downloading.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 25, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also, James McPherson is doing an AMA at Ask Historians on Reddit. Hopefully it doesn't suck.
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1yu4nm/ama_announcement_dr_james_mcpherson_author_of/

Oh man that should be good. Although all my instincts tell me to try and poo poo that thing up.

Question 1: So, the war was definitely about slavery eh? How 'bout them despicable southerners?
Question 2: Did slavery ruin the South forever, or do you think they'll start sorting their poo poo out soon?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh and, Admiral Nimitz's war diary was released in it's entirety online today by the NWC.

http://usnwc.edu/Academics/Library/Naval-Historical-Collection.aspx#items/show/849

Huge download, but I'm sure as gently caress excited to read it when it finishes downloading.

Whoa those are huge PDFs.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

twoday posted:

I'm a historian specializing in 17th century North American colonial history. Specifically, I will be in the archives next month researching the Dutch invasion of New York in 1673. It has never really been written about, because all records of this event were thoroughly redacted and suppressed. Here's a quick summary:

Thanks a lot for this! Very interesting.

EDIT: You had quoted:

twoday posted:

quote:

4. Whosoever neglects his guard or any duty committed to him, shall suffer death, and whosoever neglects his parade, his watch shall be assigned to another and he shall be seated
three hours on the wooden horse and nevertheless he must stand his guard.

Here's one in Bourtange I went to with a friend:

Translation:

quote:

Reconstruction of an instrument of punishment.
The condemned was seated upon the horse, whereupon weights were affixed to their feet.
Built in 1988.

He put his kids up on it, side saddle, for a picture. :pwn:

Groda fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 25, 2014

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Rough translation:

Reconstruction of a torture device.
The punished were placed on the horse and weights were attached to their feet.
Made in 1988.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
efb? :confused:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
It's kinda tacky to pose for a picture on a torture device last I checked.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Stocks seem to be a pretty popular tourist attraction.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Vesting Bourtange is tacky renfair bait anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

gohuskies posted:

Breakout by Martin Russ is an excellent telling of the Chosin campaign down to the very low level. Starting at $0.01 used and it's way more than worth that.

Already have that one. It's actually what got me interested in that whole campaign. You don't hear all that much about the Korean War seeing as how its sandwiched between WW2 and 'Nam.

Handsome Ralph posted:

David Halberstam's The Coldest Winter is pretty good if you're looking for enjoyable read on Chosin, but the last half of the book basically spends the entire time talking about how retarded MacArthur and Ned Almond were when they got their heads together. Not that he's wrong, but I know some people get bored with that part.

Thanks, I'll have to give it a read. Plus I've always enjoyed accounts of the US Army doing dumb poo poo.

• Locked thread