Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

xZAOx posted:

According to their website, they've already got $118k donated too. That astounds me.

I'm not too terribly surprised. I'm sure there is a good amount of people simply enamored with the concept that still believe, despite the forum subscription deal. As well I'm absolutely certain that there is a contingent of Dwight Schrute types who think paying for forum access so they can play Professional Armchair Game Dev is the greatest idea ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

xZAOx posted:

What other communities? NeoGAF basically ignored Pantheon, Rerolled was originally very optimistic but quickly came to realize this was going to be a trainwreck.

The rpg codex thread is basically them making GBS threads on Brad from the first post on.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I think I would have preferred Brad McQuaid's stigma wasn't associated with this project because I would have liked to see this Kickstarter succeed or fail to test the basis that there is not a sustainably large audience that wants to go back to the "vision" of EverQuest in the first place.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I have to wonder if Brad reads the overwhemling chorus of negative feedback in this thread at all, or just skims through the first sentence of each post and if it looks like it isn't overwhelmingly positive quickly skips the rest. Either way I very much doubt he's taking whatever criticism he does encounter to heart, seeing as he's just going further and further down this road of microtransactions and smug doublespeak and refusing to directly acknowledge or allay any of the significant concerns many people have echoed.

It's a shame as even his crappy and lazy Kickstarter has shown there is definitely a market for people who miss this kind of MMO.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I still want to know how they got to a subscription forum. I mean was it just Brad in complete control with no one to object? Or did their think tank collectively agree it was a good idea?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I still want to know how they got to a subscription forum. I mean was it just Brad in complete control with no one to object? Or did their think tank collectively agree it was a good idea?

Some people suggested it in the KS comments, and many jumped on board, saying "Hell yeah I would gladly pay $15 per month to get this game made!!!"

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Lots of MMO players consider the forums a part of the game, so this is really just like an early sub fee!

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Most MMOs are so bad that the forums are the best part.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Peechka posted:

Some people suggested it in the KS comments, and many jumped on board, saying "Hell yeah I would gladly pay $15 per month to get this game made!!!"

So it's from community feedback? I shudder to think what terrible feedback they'll give towards making a game. "Let's pay to give input even though every other community-oriented game listens for free!"

Can't say the glove doesn't fit though: a group of people bad with money paying a guy bad with money.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Minsky posted:

I think I would have preferred Brad McQuaid's stigma wasn't associated with this project because I would have liked to see this Kickstarter succeed or fail to test the basis that there is not a sustainably large audience that wants to go back to the "vision" of EverQuest in the first place.

I would have rather seen them try to do something on a smaller scale than MMORPG KICKSTARTER! as that isn't going to work. It doesn't help that they brought nothing to the KS other than idea-man bullshit and some artwork, which only works if you have a solid & established team, and outside of Brad all they have is a dungeon designer, community managers, and more idea-mans. It was destined to fail from the starting line, with or without Brad behind the helm.

As Kickstarters go, this one is horrible at gauging if there's hunger for another EQ type game on the market.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Either the pledge amount on the their front page is manually updated or the game is already hosed. It hasn't moved in 24 hours. If it's manually updated then they need better web designers or some jackass to update those numbers every minute. A static pledge drive is not good.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

I would have rather seen them try to do something on a smaller scale than MMORPG KICKSTARTER! as that isn't going to work. It doesn't help that they brought nothing to the KS other than idea-man bullshit and some artwork, which only works if you have a solid & established team, and outside of Brad all they have is a dungeon designer, community managers, and more idea-mans. It was destined to fail from the starting line, with or without Brad behind the helm.

As Kickstarters go, this one is horrible at gauging if there's hunger for another EQ type game on the market.

Ceythos and Silius at the least are more than just IdeaGuys.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Peechka posted:

Jesus :suicide:

I take it back. I apologize for blaming this entirely on Brad. The blame lays with the community for suggesting it AND Brad for thinking it was a good idea. Equal blame for all!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

megalodong posted:

Ceythos and Silius at the least are more than just IdeaGuys.

Yeah, them and their dungeon designer are good developers for a MMORPG. I loved Silius' crafting system in Vanguard, and I loved the guy that designed Old Sebilis in Everquest, because he's on their team too. Is that "Vu?"

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Node posted:

Yeah, them and their dungeon designer are good developers for a MMORPG. I loved Silius' crafting system in Vanguard, and I loved the guy that designed Old Sebilis in Everquest, because he's on their team too. Is that "Vu?"

They aren't coders. 'Designers' who can't actually put their ideas into practice are ideas guys by their nature.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Know what I honestly would like? Make a really nice, (yet simple), graphical mud and use that for world reveal stuff instead of the "in 3 days we'll show you a dark knight". That seems like something right up the alley of these "idea people", and seems to be what a lot of the kickstarter userbase really wants, even if they don't know it yet. Design an amazing graphical mud with some modern gameplay to make it easier to play without typing in commands, and build your world that way. Design several dozen dungeons, encounters, lots of core lore and worldbuilding stuff, then launch your kickstarter with "We'll turn this into a a modern MMO", and see if interest in the world, classes, monsters and dungeons goes up.

Use funding from the MUD to contribute to the kickstarter as well, maybe charge piecemeal prices like $5 to unlock a new class or race, and let the $15 a month forums people have full access.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
you know brad hosed up because he forgot to add a tier that came with two dozen pairs of socks and a littermaid

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Know what I honestly would like? Make a really nice, (yet simple), graphical mud and use that for world reveal stuff instead of the "in 3 days we'll show you a dark knight". That seems like something right up the alley of these "idea people", and seems to be what a lot of the kickstarter userbase really wants, even if they don't know it yet. Design an amazing graphical mud with some modern gameplay to make it easier to play without typing in commands, and build your world that way. Design several dozen dungeons, encounters, lots of core lore and worldbuilding stuff, then launch your kickstarter with "We'll turn this into a a modern MMO", and see if interest in the world, classes, monsters and dungeons goes up.

Use funding from the MUD to contribute to the kickstarter as well, maybe charge piecemeal prices like $5 to unlock a new class or race, and let the $15 a month forums people have full access.

The only flaw in your plan is that no one plays MUDs.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

randombattle posted:

The only flaw in your plan is that no one plays MUDs.

On the other hand, the same people who still play muds are the same ones clinging to p1999 and pantheons kickstarter as a last bastion of copy/pasted diku gameplay.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Meow Tse-tung posted:

A graphical mud is an mmo. :P

They could probably implement their combat mechanics into a basic ARPG with simple tiles and models and let you mess around with a level editor or world builder.

However, any :effort: will distract them from their core objective.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Zvim posted:

A graphical mud is an mmo. :P

They could probably implement their combat mechanics into a basic ARPG with simple tiles and models and let you mess around with a level editor or world builder.

However, any :effort: will distract them from their core objective.

Yeah, but when I say graphical mud, I pretty much mean just a low budget proof of concept that wouldn't detract from the actual project, not a full fledged game. I mean poo poo, don't people basically run muds in their spare time these days?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Byolante posted:

They aren't coders. 'Designers' who can't actually put their ideas into practice are ideas guys by their nature.

Vu is an artist. Ceythos and Silius are designers with management experience. They don't just come up with ideas for things; you'd actually want someone with their skillsets for making a game (assuming Silius isn't as terrible as people on FOH say he is). It's moot, because Pantheon doesn't have anyone else you'd need to make a game, nor is it ever going to get made, but it's kind of unfair to everyone whose title is "designer" and actually gets poo poo done to call them all idea guys.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Sillius thought this was a good idea in response to the vantanic sinking, that's probably all you need to know about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjo0dovYVtU

Could have turned it around for vanguard.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

FOH hate silius because he was in charge when a lot of the really grindy stuff was put in vanguard. But they also hate anyone and everything that's not pre-kunark EQ1.

He's still an actual designer though, and lol if you think anyone not a programmer is worthless.

And this showed up in the related videos for slappy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eA5EYPz-To

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009
"Not high production value"

"The best part is the box..."

If that isn't a glowing endorsement then I don't know what is.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Yeah, but when I say graphical mud, I pretty much mean just a low budget proof of concept that wouldn't detract from the actual project, not a full fledged game. I mean poo poo, don't people basically run muds in their spare time these days?

I think people do, my GF still plays the same one she has been playing since the dawn of time and there are about 20 or so people who still actively play that.

I still miss coding on muds but I think I will probably just do a multi-client graphical rogue-like in python for self-gratification.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So far, this whole thing smacks me as McQuaid not taking away the right lessons from Vanguard and EQ1. I'm kind of curious if Brad's still reading this forum if he would answer what he thinks his biggest (personal) failing in Vanguard was, and what he's taken from that going forward.

Even ignoring the Subscription forums which, for all the poo poo talk we give Brad in this thread, I can at least understand that he's got to make money somehow to fund this thing. I think he's doing it in a way that comes across as incredibly skeezy, but if people pay it and it keeps the office going and development progressing, more power to him. The big thing I worry about inviting the public into development forums and such is Pantheon turning into Design By Committee, except the committee in this case is a bunch of assholes from the internet screaming about being so hardcore and casual crybabies and whatnot. If you listen to what they have to say and actively implement it, what you'll wind up with is something approaching BDSM minus the sexual gratification. There is a select subset of people that will be down for that, but you will alienate large swaths of people from outside of the McQuaid bubble.

I grew up and went though middle school and a fair amount of high school playing EQ1, and looking back at my time there, it was kind of an exercise in group suffering bringing people together. Your character mattered because it took so long to accomplish anything, from leveling to traveling to running dungeons. Even in the best circumstances (a group with both an enchanter AND a bard, which was incredibly rare) mana regenerated obscenely slow. You had nothing better to do in experience groups but shooting the poo poo to pass time between pulls, compared to my last stint in WoW where I could spend a day pubbing dungeons and never say a word to any of my party members. That time to communicate with pubbies and the time it takes to level up means that character reputation mattered. On more than one occasion my EQ1 Wizard got invited to other guild's PoHate and Sky raids because my guild had progressed past it, you had to have a wizard to teleport to them, and I had a reputation of being a chill guy who knew his poo poo.

Here's the thing about that: In order to have a game that builds strong player communities like EQ1, you have to slow the pace of the game down and make it hard to level. That worked great when I was a teenager with no sense and no social life, but I've got poo poo to do now. I would rather slam my dick in a toilet seat rather than level up a new character in Project 1999. The worst, most demoralizing thing about EQ1 was going LFG for two hours waiting for both a group and a camp spot, getting to the camp and fighting for 2 hours, having the tank or cleric leave and have the group dissolve, dying post group, loosing most of the exp headway you made, and starting the process all over again. I don't have the time commitments to do that again. There is a balancing act between having a world that enables building communities and player reputations, and having a game that people who can only play 10 hours or less a week intermittently can make progress in, and I don't trust that the end result of this is going to be something that balances that well.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

megalodong posted:

FOH hate silius because he was in charge when a lot of the really grindy stuff was put in vanguard. But they also hate anyone and everything that's not pre-kunark EQ1.

He's still an actual designer though, and lol if you think anyone not a programmer is worthless.

And this showed up in the related videos for slappy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eA5EYPz-To

I kinda want that just for the soundtrack cd. Vanguard had a really good soundtrack, and like the rest of the game it was humongous. 106 tracks, over a gig of space, I think.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Here is some insight to Brads other venture, Vanguard. Take this with a grain of salt though, it reads liek a rant from someone which lost his job, but im sure there is plenty of truth to it.

quote:

You know, as much as I hate having to carefully craft (AKA, lie through my teeth) an answer to "What was Vanguard's biggest failing?" in job interviews, I realized after reading that rather disappointing article how proud I am of it.

Know why? Because I can honestly say with 100% validity: I'm a big reason for Vanguard's failure. Not Brad Mcquaid - not Microsoft. Me. And Guess what? I'm really kind of proud of it.

Brad Mcquaid didn't do poo poo. (News Flash?) He's had an opiate addiction for years now, which only got progressively worse as the project failed. His cumulative face time with sigil designers in the most crucial final years of development? Approx: 15 minutes. And some of the time was spent begging for legitimately acquired narcotics (Or in times of desperation, jacking them from people's desk).

The lead designers didn't do poo poo. (News Flash?) Sigil fired all of their golden-boy, EQ-Genius designers (Save some who would walk away in disgust) who this board once speculated simply "left." It wasn't even secretive. It all happened on the same day.

Sony didn't do poo poo. The extent of sony's help was 2 designers who ended up writing some diplomacy quests in Tanvu and some adventuring quests in Tursh. I think there was an artist that came in 2 days a week or something for about a month also. Thom Terrasas (sp?) is the only Sony employee that ever directly affected the direction of that game.

The only part Sony really played in Vanguard's destiny was to let its life unnaturally and undeserving-ly continue. And apparently, it's simply because they were naive enough to think this project was worth their cash. Hah! Even the staff at sigil was left wondering why the hell Sony would buy us. Dozens of lunch hours were spent trying to figure out why.

"What profitable web of intrigue and mystery was big'ol Smed spinning with this crazy move(????)," we'd often cry

It was pretty shocking (and just lame) to hear John Smedly actually get angry and complain to people after the layoff's that he, "didn't know what he was buying." He even expressed anger at Jeff and Brad for bamboozlin' him. Poor guy. Maybe next time tough-guy Smed decides to spend several million dollars on something he'll expend some brain power figuring out what it is first.

Dave Gilbertson DID do some poo poo. (News Flash!) But this guy? Man, so much stuff I could say about this guy. He was truly unbelievable. Even when you thought his insanely unprofessional antics couldn't get any more outrageous, he'd go and do something like tell everyone they're getting a raise (to keep crunching) and then one by one call people into his office who WERE actually getting raises (but would never actually get them), how much they were going to get (VERY, soon). Unfortunately he would move through desk rows one by one and simply skip over the unlucky ones. It took a whole 5 minutes for the office to see through his brilliantly laid out scheme. He used the same plan for the lay-offs too. Classy huh?

He's literally never played a video game in his life, yet when Brad died off and Dave inherited the position of Vanguard Jesus, he decided he must be the final call on every design decision. I guess if you ride dirt bikes with a gamer god, his genius just wears off on you.

Fortunately, sometime this would result in getting played like a fiddle by whoever happened to be lovingly pulling the strings that day. But more often than not, this just meant people had to go around him to get something in, only without the help of (Place whatever department here) that was necessary for a game feature to actually turn out right. Imagine for a second people at Sigil actually knew how to do something right? (Believe it or not, we did on occasion) this guy would become the bottleneck to prevent that from happening.

If there was a ceremony for the Gamespy award, Dave would be accepting. For the sake of all our future video game consumer habits, let's hope this guy goes back to the only thing he's qualified to do, whatever that might be.

Anyway, enough of my blabbering. The most shocking reality that I don't think anyone really ever understood is that Vanguard was made (exclusively the design staff, I should say) COMPLETELY by amateurs. People who had been hired less than a week with 0 prior experience were tasked with designing entire newbie areas that shipped. People who had never produced a game in their life were asked to fix a 40 million dollar gently caress up. People with no experience were asked to fix the item, diplomacy, ability, content, quest and pretty much every system in the game.

The game that exists now was designed in a single year by people with 0 experience. If that sounds too vague think of it like this: about 1 year from release we had 0 quests in the DB because the tool didn't exist yet. When I decided to split the team there was over 30,000 quest object entries. Yeah, explains a lot doesn't it?

What a huge let down indeed.

Oddly enough, the whole situation was probably a bigger let down to the designers than the consumers. I accepted a position thinking I was going to work with a bunch of experts - Masters of their craft - and really learn the ropes of game design. Instead, my fellow design associates and I were unwittingly tasked with trying to fix a failed video game that had literally been canceled twice before any of us were even hired. So in retrospect, despite everything, I guess I'm still pretty proud of vanguard. Every team member should be proud in spite of a truly pitiful and pathetic waste.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Peechka posted:

Here is some insight to Brads other venture, Vanguard. Take this with a grain of salt though, it reads liek a rant from someone which lost his job, but im sure there is plenty of truth to it.

I like the part where brad is stealing drugs from co-workers desks.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Pretty funny how this turned out. :)

Maybe he should redirect his focus into making a game a forum with virtual items, like that anime forum where people pay $1000 for a virtual hat that only exists in crudely pixelated form on the forum (it's not even a game), to display on your avatar next to your posts?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Pilsner posted:

Pretty funny how this turned out. :)

Maybe he should redirect his focus into making a game a forum with virtual items, like that anime forum where people pay $1000 for a virtual hat that only exists in crudely pixelated form on the forum (it's not even a game), to display on your avatar next to your posts?

You mean Gaia Online?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

ShadowMoo posted:

You mean Gaia Online?
Yeah that's what I'm thinking about.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
Community locked behind a paywall: check.
Everyone loses interest and the game falls off the radar: check.

All according to plan.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

G Prestige posted:

Community locked behind a paywall: check.
Everyone loses interest and the game falls off the radar: check.

All according to plan.

Drug addicts aren't known for their long term planning.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Drug addicts aren't known for their long term planning.

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/blogs/355/41/tuesday-s-dev-meeting-recap-wit

Developers meeting was on tuesday.
Held in a garage.

Looks more like and AA meeting.

Edit: Wow, looking at the pictures it seem's Brad just rounded up homeless people and gave them free coffee and a marker board to draw random scribbles on.
They Devel Team looks cool and not at all like shady people.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 1, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I imagine this project as an animated short. A gangly man in a stained chef's hat wobbles into the scene, balancing a cupcake on a huge tray. He trips over his own feet, stomps on the cupcake, falls on his rear end on top of it. He pulls himself shakily to his feet, scoops up some filthy icing with a finger, and turns to the camera: "it's still good!"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/blogs/355/41/tuesday-s-dev-meeting-recap-wit

Developers meeting was on tuesday.
Held in a garage.

Looks more like and AA meeting.

Edit: Wow, looking at the pictures it seem's Brad just rounded up homeless people and gave them free coffee and a marker board to draw random scribbles on.
They Devel Team looks cool and not at all like shady people.

Held in a garage.

:suicide:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Node posted:

Held in a garage.

:suicide:

You'd be amazed at the companies that were started in a garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jabro posted:

You'd be amazed at the companies that were started in a garage.

I probably would I suppose.

It's just staggering to see those pictures, when their initial stretch goals went up to something like $8,000,000. I still hope I can play Pantheon, but my optimism has gone down by quite a bit.

• Locked thread