Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Dedman Walkin posted:

pre:
    Deftness: 1d8
      -Shootin': Shotgun 3
    Nimbleness: 4d6
      -Climbin' 1 (FREE)
      -Dodge 2
      -Fightin': Brawlin' 3
      -Sneak 2 (1 pt)
    Quickness: 3d6
    Strength: 2d8
    Vigor: 2d8

Cognition: 1d8
      -Scrutinize 2
      -Search 3 (1 pt FREE)
    Knowledge: 3d8
      -Area Knowledge: Home County 2 (FREE)
      -Medicine: General 2
      -Professional:Theology 2
    Mien: 3d10
      -Persuasion 3
      -Tale-Tellin' 3
    Smarts: 2d12
    Spirit: 3d12
      -Faith 5
      -Guts 4

Grit: 0
Pace: 12
Size: 6
Wind: 20

Aptitude Points: 32

Some of these skills are less obvious than others... I assume that Tall-Tellin' is Lie/Con but what's Guts in relation to Spirit and what's the difference between Search and Scrutinize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Hulk Smash! posted:

Some of these skills are less obvious than others... I assume that Tall-Tellin' is Lie/Con but what's Guts in relation to Spirit and what's the difference between Search and Scrutinize?

Sorry, I should have been a bit more descriptive in my post.

To lie, you need a Smarts skill called Bluff (also handy for poker). Tale-Telling is storytelling, basically. I took it for the preacher to help with delivering a sermon, but it could also be used to, say, be a lawyer to tell your case, be a politician to glad-hand for voters, just entertain people around the campfire, and when you realize that monsters exist and feed off fear, Tale-Telling is used to drain the Fear from the land, and replace it with Hope.

Scrutinize is used to see if someone's lying to you (the skill used to counter Bluff).
Search is used to spot things (be it hidden goodies or an ambush in the waiting. (the skill used to counter Sneak)
Area Knowledge shows how much you know about a place. Everyone knows their home region for free, but you can buy concentrations to get info on a certain town, or region, or state.
Guts is used when you run into scary poo poo, or a very gristly scene. It's used to keep your head when bad things go down. So if, say, a monster bursts into a saloon, you'd roll Guts to not panic and run away, and instead face down the thing. Failing Guts checks means the Marshall can roll on a Fear Table to see how poorly you react.
Dodge is used in combat to avoid getting hit.
Faith is how strong you are spiritually, and as previously said, Blessed use it to use their Miracles. You don't have to be Blessed to have Faith, you can be a really pious cowpoke and not have the Arcane Background.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Dedman Walkin posted:

Explanation.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks :)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Alumnus Post posted:

ORATIO XVIII VEL RECTUS VIGINTIS SVB FIGVRA 3d6

Here follows the weird esoteric bullshit. In this method, we're following what's called the "lightning flash," and what practically just means "go from 1 to 10 in order."

This is super cool and I am looking forward to seeing what you make with this.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I know what I'm doing the next time a pbp Persona game rolls through.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

Okay, the weird esoteric bullshit’s done now. If you just came for the chargen, it starts here. There’s still some weird bullshit in the explanation, but I’m afraid it’s pretty much unavoidable. Sorry!

It’s a good idea to have at least some sort of general, unformed idea before you begin, even if it’s just a list of cool-looking playbooks, or something as simple as “sneaky bastard” or “a wizzard.” For this to work, you’re gonna need:
• A Tarot deck. I don’t care what you use. I’m using the Crowley-Thoth deck because it’s the one I have, but I’m also linking images from the conventional Rider-Waite deck. If you don’t have one, there’s a bunch of spread-generating sites you can find with a quick Google search. You can look specifically for one with a Tree of Life spread, or just pick one with ten cards and rearrange them in your head.
• If you want to stick strictly to how this stuff is ‘supposed’ to be interpreted, probably you’re gonna want some books. Otherwise, just roll with it! Do whatever it is you do to get creative.

You’re gonna want to:
• Turn your cards over one at a time. This’ll let you gradually develop the character.
• Remember that this is a guide, not a prison. If you like your ideas better than what the cards, the Tree, or this guide say, use yours! The ultimate goal here is to make a kick-rear end character that you’d have fun playing, not to study the ~*grand mysterees*~ of Life, the Universe, and Everything as interpreted through the western occult tradition. If you want to do that, you might want to start reading books by people who know more than me. Lon Milo DuQuette's a good starting point, and he's also hilarious.

As outlined before, we'll be rolling with the "Bird-Lady Bard" idea everyone else is playing with. My Lord and Dungeon Master Kellsterik wants to hear more about the culture of another sort of birdmans I rolled up for his campaign, a mashed-up Lantern/Sky-Dancer eaglemans named Nasir ibn-Quzah, that uses wind instead of light for his 'little light' move. I did the spread before I saw that post, so I'll be adding in some post-spread notes to each bit, that adapt the idea to his specs.

Let’s get right down to it!

Supernal Triad posted:

#1. The Prince of Cups. :commissar:

Time for beginnings! For number one, we got the Prince of Cups. Hey, look, there’s an eagle on this one! Maybe we’ve got an eaglemans here, or a sneaky kind of bird? This guy connotes the qualities of subtlety, secret violence, craft, and great abilities which are difficult to put into harness; and also a person with those qualities. I think we have an image here of our lady’s central themes: skill, secrecy, and plots. But let’s move on…
Post-spread notes: This could work well as coming from a different sect or tribe for Nasir's people, or someone who suffered from the dumb poo poo he did.

#2. XVII - The Star. :unsmith:

...to card two, the Star. This one is one of the Major Arcana, and so high up the Tree it’s going to be a big defining factor in how this woman acts, thinks, and generally is. The stereotypical image is of a ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ or a ‘guiding star.’ The obvious connotation is one of hope and promises. Our biggest positive theme here, then, will be one of hope! This theme will thread all through her life, and the lives of those she interacts with. Fits a Bard so far, but we’re only two cards in. Let’s go on.
Post-spread notes: Hope amidst destruction? Perfect for when your kingdom's been razed to the bone.

#3. The Princess of Cups. :3:

Card number three is the Princess of Cups. Lot of court cards so far. All the court cards are generally ‘nice’ in their connotations, but they can also easily be turned on their heads for some less likeable characteristics. We’ll do that here to introduce the biggest negative theme in her life. This lady connotes sweetness and helpfulness--nice things for a bird-lady to be, but taken to excess or perverted, these become indolence, selfishness, and overdependence.
So far up, this court card will be for an extremely important person in her life: the bird-lady’s own self, who’s got some issues: clingy, needy, and generally un-fun to be around, she informs the big positive theme of hope and counters it with a theme of family troubles. Selfish, isn’t she? I had this down as “a clingy little sister” originally, but after seeing how the first six finished, I changed it to be the lady herself.
Post-spread notes: Still seems like an image of the character to me. Presumably, this could be a surviving member of the royal family or ruling caste of Nasir's people. The 'family troubles' might also be a competing sect or tribe, that took advantage of Nasir's idiocy to settle an old quarrel and drive Nasir's people completely out of their devastated homeland.

Since we're in the gap between triads here, it's time for a bit of experimentation. I haven’t actually done the bit about the secret 'eleventh point' I’ve outlined in the explanations before yet, nor had a DM who’s been interested in collaborating. All the same, we're gonna give it a shot. We’ll be the DM as well as the player, and draw our hidden, eleventh card, for secrets and things we don’t know. I drew this card after #10, but I'm placing it here, between 3 and 4.

The Abyss posted:

#π. 0 - The Fool. :iiam:

Oh, this is absolutely perfect. This is telling me-the-player absolutely nothing, but it’s telling me-the-DM to have complete freedom in coming up with anything, as far as secret things about this character go. It’s a complete blank, and one of the biggest principles of Dungeon World is to draw maps, leave blanks. Here, we have the ultimate blank. Adventure awaits!
Post-spread notes: There are no post-spread notes! I actually have a DM for Nasir: so if you want a card for here, draw it yourself!

That’s the first triad finished. We've got a central Big Theme everything revolves around: plots, secret violence, and subtlety. We have two competing lesser themes: hope for a better future on the good end, and family troubles-slash-personal issues on the bad end. Some good stuff so far, but it’s time to bring this stuff out of the realm of ideas and start actually getting concrete. Let's move on!

Ethical Triad posted:

#4. The Eight of Swords. :rubshands:

For card number four, we’ve got the Eight of Swords, named “Interference.” This is an ugly, sad thing to have in a spot for stability and establishment. It reinforces the themes of family trouble, and suggests no easy resolution to that trouble. But since the theme developed above it is one of hope, our lady hasn’t (and doesn’t) give up hope for better family relationships, despite constant interference by some external source. What is it? Maybe just someone who refuses to change, maybe external affairs (which we can find out more about later), maybe her own self? It's pretty fugly either way, and it’s probably gonna get worse in the next card. It's #5's nature to shake up the stability of #4 before it, for good or ill.
Post-spread notes: What might be screwing with Nasir's people besides Nasir himself? Maybe the winds don't like that one of their number has followed him into exile, and so they're screwing with his people still at every turn?

#5. The Seven of Wands. :black101:

Yep, nothin' nice wound up here. Ugly and flawed in every way, and things do not get better because of the position here, which is for storm, stress, and imbalance. Let’s call this a war that happened, and split the family apart. Our lady had to rely on her own personal skills to survive that awful time, and though it made her strong, not everybody was so lucky. Jeez, this is pretty bad so far. Let’s head back to the middle pillar and see if card number six can’t brighten things up.
Post-spread notes: War works great here. I don't think I need to change much to make this work for Nasir's particular milieu.

#6. The Princess of Wands. :j:

Looks like things are gettin' nicer! Here, we have the Princess of Wands. This isn’t too bad a place for a Princess, and it certainly serves to make things nicer. This implies a bit of harmonious conflict in the nature of this woman: at the top we have air of water; in the middle, fire of earth. Though her biggest themes are of secrecy and craft, their reflection is one of someone who is independent, self-assured, and adventuresome, who’s been through a lot of pain yet remains hopeful for a better future.

On the downside, this might also imply a serious drama queen, who neither forgets nor forgives and who enjoys planning secret plots of revenge for any insult, real or imagined. She’s lost some family in a sudden war or conflict: if they’re still alive, she doesn’t know about it. Her inner face is going to be pretty birdlike: quick, sharp, resourceful, and humorless. She doesn’t necessarily have to fly, but she’s definitely a bird-lady. If we had a DM, we might be able to negotiate taking the Sky Dancer’s “controlled flight” move, either as a replacement for a starting move or as an advance.
Post-spread notes: Still works great, with the exception of her Look. Nasir's an eaglemans, so she presumably has to be a kind of desert birdwomans as well, instead of a waterbird like the heron. Otherwise, fits great.

That's the second triad completed, so now it's time to start getting actually concrete, and get to work on her character sheet. Considering all the Princesses we’ve seen here so far, let’s go with The Princess as her playbook! Royalty without a kingdom is usually pretty fun to play, and the archetypes this playbook invokes are perfect to fit with the themes we’ve developed so far. We’re going with a bird-lady, so what kind of a bird is she? We have an eagle up on the top, and a lot of things for water, so I think I’ll go with a waterbird for her.

I did an eaglemans by this method already, so I think we’ll try something different. We’re going to go with the crane, heron, and ibis as a basis for how she looks. Most of those have "royal" connotations, and they also look totally :krad:. The crane especially is revered in China and Japan as a symbol of immortality. We’ll give her a Look, modifying things to allow for her birdy nature: Mischevious eyes, Royal feathers, Willowy body, Jeweled regalia; and a Drive instead of an Alignment: Revenge! Get back at someone you believe has wronged you. Fits well with the less happy connotations of the Prince up at the top. I’m not feeling a name yet, so we’ll leave that for the last triad--which is coming up right now. Hope you're ready!

Psychological Triad posted:

#7. The Nine of Swords. :smithicide:

Card number seven is...yeesh. The Nine of Swords. “Cruelty.” Well....poo poo. This has to be the ugliest, most vicious card in the entire drat deck. Seriously, there is nothing nice or hopeful here. So much for the Star! This one’s pretty obvious in its connotations: meanness, mechanical passions, heartless, implacable revenge, and (duh) cruelty. Jeez, what the hell happened to her? All the nice, positive themes of hope we had at the top are just getting stabbed in the heart over and over again.

All I’m getting out of this is: huge bitch (bluh bluh), with some deeply hidden secret hopes. Since we’ve got so many terrible cards below the top triad, and an overarching theme of overcoming hardship, we’ll give her the Resourceful background, and start assigning stats. Ugly card in a place for emotions and interpersonal relationships, so her dump stat is going to be Cha. Basically, she tries to be nice, but it always comes off wrong--and if you even so much as think about insulting her, she eats your face. At least she’s kind to animals or something. Even with a card this horrible, there are some redeeming qualities floating around. One of them is a theme of passive acceptance: martyrdom or nonviolence. But that's boring for Dungeon World, so we'll ignore it. Her Next-lowest stat is going to be Str, since she’s a bird and also a princess. Let's hope it gets nicer in card number eight.
Post-spread notes: I wonder who died and made her queen?

#8. The Five of Swords. :eng99:

For gently caress’s sake, is it ever going to get any better? Seems obvious to use a card named "Defeat" in one way for her history: whatever war her kingdom wound up in, her side lost. And pretty decisively, too. Maybe the war was actually between different sides of the family, and she was on the losing end. I’m getting a bit of a Viserys Targareyn vibe coming off the whole story at this point. The connotations are of treachery and a defeat due to pacificism and weakness. Dang, fits about as well as can be hoped. Family troubles? No freaking kidding, family troubles.

But enough about that--more about the character. Swords are for intellect, and we’re having more than I thought there’d be. Let’s give her a bird’s intellect: cold, patient, merciless, and searingly bright. Her highest stat will be Int. Next-highest can be Dex. Herons are watch-and-ambush predators, and move with seriously terrifying speed--so she will too. Watch the beak, now. Let’s see if things get any better, now that we’re heading back to the middle.
Post-spread notes: I wonder what the world outside of the prison-plane looks like?

#9. XXI - The Universe. :ms:

Looks like it! The Universe, or the World, is the very last card in the Major Arcana. This one represents integration and fulfillment, achievement of life-long goals, and lasting, positive personal change. Through hardship and trial, patience and perseverance leads finally to achieved goals and the completion of great events. What a great thing to have for this lady’s outer face, and what a perfect location for it.

What we have here is a picture of someone who’s been through extreme hardship. Though it’s marked her with an unpleasant personality and a thirst for revenge, nonetheless she strives to keep hoping and integrate her awful experiences into something better. It’s worth noting that at least in my deck, the women depicted in the Universe and the Princess of Wands look very much alike.

We’ll assign her middling stats to Con and Wis, and start giving her an inventory. A rod and crown sounds good for a princess, so those can be her regalia. The secret is that her crown is actually just her plumed crest of head feathers. The rod is just a rod. Maybe it's got a bird head on it or something. Ostentatious clothing sounds great, too. Since she’s a bird and all, let’s have it actually be an array of little jewels on chains, fancy dyed feathers, jingly bits, and so on. No need for much clothes when you have feathers. For her emergency gear, let’s give her: a skirmisher’s kit, an adventurer’s kit, and a traveler’s kit. Herons kill their prey by stabbing it with their beaks, so let’s reflavor her “slim sword” to be a beak sheath that turns her face into a deadly stabbing weapon. This will also let her Hack and Slash with her higher +DEX bonus due to its precise tag. The knives can stay knives.
Post-spread notes: I wonder what great success she achieved for her people?

We're almost done! Only a little bit left to go, and so close to the end, we’ve got almost everything we need here. Two competing themes of hope and family troubles, and one big theme of secrecy and plots, manifested as a bloody inter-family war that our bird-lady’s side lost. So much death, failure, and loss has given her a very unpleasant personality with some redeeming characteristics nevertheless; and a harmonizing theme of completion and success through perseverance. Time to give her a name. I like to name my characters in a way that echoes their inspirations and character traits. We’ll go for maximum anime here, and name her Keiko Kijuku.

The Kingdom posted:

#10. The Six of Disks. :signings:

And would you look at that! It’s the Six of Disks, named “Success.” The connotations are seriously about as royal as it gets: power, good luck, good management, influence, rule over the people, and reward for labor. Looks like there’s hope after all!

I’ve avoided saying what her Dear Friends are until now, just because what they are says a lot about the world around her. Let’s avoid the typical Disney Princess stuff and have her Dear Friends be just ordinary common folk, people who don’t like the current branch of the family that's in power now, and want to see her succeed. Kind of a lesser-of-two-evils thing: she might be bad, but the current regime is worse. Her people are also bird people. I like the idea of a feudal, coastal culture based around fishing, sailing, flight (since they’re birds), and war. Feudal Japan or Europe might be good bases to build more fiction on from there. Fits the predatory waterbird angle, and plays well with the family-conflict plot we have going on.
Post-spread notes: Obviously, the culture would need to change. Unless you want a whole world of bird people. Common folk still fits great--maybe someone running, or part of, an underground conspiracy in the bones of her former kingdom?

Hooray, we’re done! From something as simple as “bird-lady,” we’ve come up with an entire character concept, full of potential adventuring hooks and interesting bits of fiction. Some of the ideas we came up with didn't entirely pan out, and I probably didn't follow my own formula 100% to the letter. That's fine! The end result was a cool character that I'd totally enjoy playing. In fact, if anyone does want to use this character, I'm giving it away freely. I'm about at my limit for active games I can join right now - three is plenty. I’d like to point out that this is not a chosen spread: I took the cards as they came, and didn't throw anything out just because I didn't like it. If you still want a bird-lady bard, we've taken the Princess playbook - so it’s as simple as taking her multiclassing or Worldly Concerns moves as advances. Time to type up her character sheet and call it a day.

Character Sheet posted:

Keiko Kijuku
Playbook: Michael Atlin's Princess v.4, Level 1
Look: Mischevious eyes, Royal feathers, Willowy body, Jeweled regalia
STR 09 (-1) | INT 16 (+2)
DEX 15 (+1) | WIS 13 (+1)
CON 12 (+0) | CHA 08 (-1)

HP: 18/18
Armor: 0
Damage: d6, d8 when holding Poise
Poise: 0

Drive: Revenge (Get back at someone you believe has wronged you.)
Background: Resourceful (When you hold Poise, your damage die is d8, and you take +1 to Supply.)

Bonds:
_______________ was once my subject.
_______________ needs to have more faith in themselves.
I can trust _______________ with any secret.
In my dreams I have seen what _______________ can do.
_______________ has much to teach me.
_______________ does not trust me, for whatever reason.

Starting moves:
Among the Common Folk
When you take a moment to alter your appearance, with a smudge of dirt or by covering your hair with a homespun hood, no one will believe you are noble until you can appear before them, clean and in stylish or regal clothing.

Poise
When you behave in a noble fashion, as outlined below, gain 3-Poise and mark an X next to the option. You may not gain Poise from a marked option. When you have marked three options, erase all your marks. Hold at most 3-Poise if unadorned, 4-Poise if in stylish or regal gear, 5-Poise if in both.
• Attend a glamorous social function
• Make a dramatic entrance
• Pursue an inappropriate romantic target
• Rebuff a suitor
• Tend carefully to a wounded or ill person or creature

My Dear Friends
You always have common folk or small creatures hanging around you, whether you want them to or not. Choose what your Dear Friends are: Common Folk. When you call on your Dear Friends for help, a few of them will come out of hiding (say what that looks like) and help you. Spend Poise 1-for-1 for:
• A truthful answer to a short, simple question
• Amazing finery (stylish, regal) that will only last the night
• An escape route that won't be safe for long
• Enough food for a day's journey for you and your companions

Winsome
When you smile and ask a stranger for a teensy favor, with no leverage, spend 1-Poise, and the GM chooses one:
• They do you the favor, no questions asked
• They become infatuated with you, take +1 forward against them
• They publicly resent you, take +1 forward against them.

Whatever's At Hand (Resourceful background move)
When you wield a common object with violent intent, it functions as a weapon for you. Pick its type; each has associated tags. Small And Light (hand, near, thrown, -1 damage, 0-weight), Stout And Balanced (close 1-weight), Long And Thin (2-handed, reach, 1-weight)

Inventory(Load: 5/7)
• Some fresh food (3 uses, 1 weight)
• Royal regalia: a plumed crest and a rod of office. (0 weight each, regal)
• Ostentatious clothes: chains, jewels, beads, dyed feathers, and jingly bits. (1 weight, stylish)
• A razor-sharp beak sheath. (close, precise, 1 weight)
• A brace of throwing knives. (thrown, near, 3 ammo, 1 weight)
• Adventuring gear. (5 uses, 1 weight)
• Lots of bandages. (6 uses, slow, 0 weight)
• A reversible cloak. (0 weight, plain or stylish)
• 28 coin.

And that's that! I hope you enjoyed this ridiculously complicated means of generating cool characters. I actually did my first spread as just "Generic Fighter" for this, before the bird-lady bard thing took off. If there's interest, I could post it. Some other time though. Holy poo poo, writing this took literally all day from morning to sunset.

If anyone ends up actually trying to use this to make a character, I would love to hear about it. It could probably be adapted to things like campaign settings, Grim Portents, or notable NPCs pretty easily, as well.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm going to spoil that string of effortposts with this: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness!

TMNT is massively hindered by using the Palladium system, which we all know is one of the least functional almost-functional game systems you can find - but since the starting point is making animal-people, a bird-woman bard is within our grasp right from the word go!

Step 1: The Eight Attributes
Palladium has eight attributes: IQ, ME, MA, PS, PP, PE, PB and Spd. These translate roughly to Intelligence, Willpower, Charm, Strength, Dexterity, Toughness, Hotness, and Spd. (Speed.)

I'd also like to point out that literally two lines into the chargen section the book says the first step is to roll up the eight attributes, then only lists seven of them.

Anyway, it's 3d6 down the line. If an attribute is rolled 16+ you get to add +1d6 to it, meaning that awesome stats are even more awesome. That gives us:

• IQ 7
  • ME 7
  • MA 10
  • PS 14
  • PP 9
  • PE 6
  • PB 8
  • Spd 9

Apart from being pretty strong, that sucks. Oh well! :v:

We also generate Hit Points by rolling 1d6 and adding PE. That gets us the maximum of 12 HP.

Step 2: Animal Type
You roll to generate your animal type randomly. First you generate a broad category - rural, urban, wild, wild birds, or zoo - and then a subcategory within that. However, since we're going for a bird-lady I'm going to cheat a bit and select wild birds. A quick roll on the sub-table gets us a base animal of quail. I poo poo you not. I was hoping for a duck, but quail will do.

Step 3: Cause of Mutation
So just how did our quail come to be a superhero? It's a percentile table, and my roll turned up Random Mutation. This directs us to roll on the Wild Animal Education Table to determine how she learned her skills. A roll of 83 on the percentile table gets us Adopted by a Mentor. Sorry, a "mentor" - the book has it in inverted commas for no reason I can imagine. Ranging from 41-90, this is far and away the most common result on this table, and basically makes you a ninja turtle quail: you learn three military/espionage skills, ten secondary skills (with a +5% bonus), three ancient/ninja weapon proficiencies, and Hand to Hand: Ninjitsu. Also we believe some people are good and some are bad, and we have "scavenged or build" 3d6 x $100 worth of equipment. ($1200)

Step 4: BIO-E Points, Special Abilities, Psionics, Growth Levels (Steps), Human Features
Now we get to the meat of generation. All animals get a pool of BIO-E points with which to buy special powers, including buying up or down their size. The smaller and weaker an animal the more BIO-E it gets: elephants, for example, start with 0 and in order to have any powers beyond 'being an elephant' will need to sell down their size to generate BIO-E.

I flip forward to the wild fowl section and discover that as a quail we start at size 3 (at the small end - about 9 inches long) with a Medium build (which affects how we appear if we adopt a human appearance) and 75 BIO-E to spend. We get to be a biped for free, but have to purchase hands, speech, looks and other powers (like flight). I spend 10 BIO-E for full human looks (large eyes, light feathers instead of hair, powerful legs) and 10 for full human speech. For some wacky reason wild fowl have the option to buy extra limbs with human hands for 20 BIO-E, so why the hell not? Four-armed bird lady it is.

Now, I could spend 20 BIO-E to get flight on top of that, but since my previous character could fly I'm going to burn all the remaining BIO-E on an increase in size: this bumps her size up to 10, which also gets us 35 SDC, which are a kind of hit points: SDC represent cosmetic damage, scratches, bumps, etc. while loss of HP is serious injury. There's a handy chart for turning 'size' into height and weight, and some rolling makes her 6'2" tall and 186 lbs. Our ninja quail can't fly but she is tall, kind of thin, and hexapodal.

Oh, also, the boost in size gets us +4 PS and +2 PP (for 18 and 11, respectively).

Step 5: Equipment and Money
We've already rolled up $1200 for our ninja quail. The equipment chapter has prices for: swords, knives, guns of various kinds, night-vision goggles, lockpicks, dynamite, cameras, helicopters, cars (including the "Bently"), acid (by the half gallon), a modem ($180!), but no musical instruments. To Google! I find a keytar for about $200, which will occupy two of our girl's arms, a katana for $300, and the remaining $700 goes on the cheapest submachine gun I can find. I should probably have picked up some armour (or clothes) but whatever. We can open the game by raiding an Abercrombie and Fitch or something.

Step ??: Rounding Out Ones Character
We've stopped counting steps at this point, but chargen isn't finished yet. Also, leaving the apostrophe out of "one's" is causing me physical pain. Here we cover alignment, experience (none yet), skills and education, and equipment (again?). I choose Anarchist as an alignment, which makes our lady basically an amoral adrenaline junkie. She's not evil, but she's definitely out for Number One.

When it comes to skills we get quite a few. We get Hand to Hand: Ninjitsu for free, which gives us "+3 to pull punches, roll with punches, and roll with falls" at level 1 and a variety of combat manoeuvres. Now normal folk who want to select Ninjitsu have to buy a bunch of prerequisite skills - but as a "mentored" character we get them for free! Acrobatics, Climbing, Prowl, and "at least one form of fencing". Since there only is one fencing skill, I'll have that (it grants +1 to strike and parry when you use a sword).

We also get three ancient/ninja weapon skills - I choose Sword, Blunt, and Paired Weapons, because Paired Weapons is so broken it's hilarious. There's a line I recall from the manga Blade of the Immortal: "An amateur can't fight a guy who does it two-handed - it's like an ant fighting God." This is a good description of Palladium's Paired Weapons skill. We also get three military/espionage skills (I pick Detect Ambush, Detect Concealment and Pick Locks) and ten secondary skills.

I pause for a quick digression on the subject of Palladium skills: the physical skills boost your stats when you take them, making them a fantastic choice over basically everything else. There's even a paragraph explaining that yes, those bonuses are cumulative.

So I take the SMG weapon proficiency, since I've already bought one, the Sing skill because there isn't one for playing musical instruments, Motorcycle so she can get around (after acquiring a bike from somewhere), and then I stock up on physical skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Body Building, Boxing, Gymnastics, Running, and Wrestling. This gives us a total of a 70% sense of balance skill, a 70% chance to walk a tightrope, 87% chance to climb a rope, 49% chance of climbing... anything else, 83% backflip skill, all those skills again from a different source (with different bonuses), +10% Prowl, +8 to roll with punch/fall, +3 to parry and dodge, +1 to body check (1d4 damage + knockdown), +1d4+8 PS, +2d4 PP, +4 PE, +5d4 Spd, +12d6+1d8+10 SDC, +1 attack/round, automatic knockout on a natural 20 attack roll, and an automatic pin/incapacitate on a natural 18+.

Not bad. I was going to collate all that into a full character sheet, but it's after midnight and it would be a total mess anyway. Gail the Quail knows virtually nothing about anything, but she can hammer the ever-loving poo poo out of people in hand-to-hand combat - and accompany herself on keytar and vocals while she does it!

(At level 1 she could take Shredder, mainly due to Paired Weapon cheese. The ninja turtles themselves would probably be trickier because of their armour ability that soaks all damage if the attack roll is too low. And she has a 3/20 chance of instantly winning any fight with every attack she makes, so as long as she stays alive she's got a fighting chance.)

EDIT: I'm going to write up that character sheet, more or less. It's not quite finished yet.

Gail the Quail
6'2", 186 lbs
Alignment: Anarchist
Full biped, full human looks, full human speech, four arms with human hands.

Stats
  • IQ 7
  • ME 7
  • MA 10
  • PS 28
  • PP 16
  • PE 10
  • PB 8
  • Spd 21

Side note: A speed of 21 means she can sprint the 100 metres in about 13 seconds - which is kind of lovely for an allegedly superhuman score. Usain Bolt, on a slow day (100m in 10 sec) clocks in with a Spd of 30.

16 HP
92 SDC

Skills
Acrobatics
Backflip
Climb a rope
Climb other things
Climbing (Palladium skills :argh:)
Detect ambush
Detect concealment
Motorcycle
Pick locks
Prowl
Sense of balance
Sing
Walk a tightrope

W.P. Fencing (+1 to strike and parry with swords)
W.P. Sword (+1 to strike and parry with swords)
W.P. Blunt (+1 to strike and parry with blunts)
W.P. Paired Weapons (hilarious superiority)
W.P. Sub-machine gun (dakka)

Combat
2 attacks per round
+11 to roll with punch or fall
+3 to pull punches (why would we ever do this?)
+3 parry
+3 dodge

Knockout on a natural 20 with an unarmed attack
Pin/Incapacitate on a natural 18+ with an unarmed attack

Body check for 1d4 + knockdown, +1 strike
Kick for 1d6 damage
Jump kick for 2d6 damage, takes two actions
Katana for 3d6 damage, +2 strike, +2 parry
SMG for 4d6 damage plus all sorts of ridiculous autofire bonuses

Gear
Katana, SMG, radical keytar.

Shopping List
Clothes, boots, motorcycle.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 26, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

P.d0t posted:

I heard about this from reading the chat thread, and I figured I should throw my own game in the ring.

The full game rules, such as they are, can be found here.

I also wrote up some character creation tips here.

:ohdear:

Edit: I guess I should explain that I'm hoping some goons will volunteer to make the most broken characters possible so I can get an idea of what things might be overpowered.
Also, making characters for my own game and pasting them into the thread seems kinda :jerkbag:

Actually, should I just stat up some characters?
I'll take concept requests, but tbh the system is pretty lo-fi.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ego Trip posted:

I want to play Legends of the Wulin so bad right now.

Then my posts are working as intended.

On the subject of complimenting posts, speaking as someone who likes both tarot symbology and things that help you think up characters, your posts are pretty cool.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Take FATAL, add horses, remove anal circumference, and you get...

I don't think anyone has done this yet in FATAL and Friends, but they should, its… something.

quote:

A game about the daring adventures and everyday lives of people in the Old West, Aces & Eights lets you tell the tale of the West that could have been, in your own words, deeds and history. The Aces & Eights game allows for rugged cowboys, brave Indians, murderous desperados, determined lawmen, sturdy prospectors, powerful rail barons, and all of the characters we think of when we watch a good western movie or read books about the expansion of the American frontier.
Although you don't need to know much about this time period to enjoy the game, western aficionados will certainly find it engrossing - to say the least. If you consider yourself a western history buff, you might want to set aside what you know and open your mind. Aces & Eights is set in the West That Never Was, an alternative history created to maximize the role-playing potential of the game by freeing the future from the inevitable reality of the true West.
While the setting is firmly entrenched in historical accuracy, a few small changes in American politics (at significant moments in history) create a very believable alternative history of North America. Sprung from small changes are new nations, businesses, and a slight acceleration in arms technology.

Sounds fun, right?

quote:

To determine your gunfighter's Speed, roll a d4. Record this number then flip a coin to determine if the value is positive (heads) or negative (tails). The result is your gunfighter's Speed score - somewhere between -4 and 4. Repeat the process to determine Accuracy.
code:
<skybot> 1 (d4=1)
<skybot> 2 (d2=2)
-1 Speed
code:
<skybot> 4 (d4=4)
<skybot> 1 (d2=1)
+4 Accuracy
Our gunslinger clearly prefers to take his time and put one right between the eyes.

quote:

Each character has between 21 and 24 hit points (hp) determined by rolling a d4 and adding 20. This gives you a measure of how much physical damage your gunfighter can sustain before keeling over.
code:
<skybot> 1 (d4=1)
Only 21, but it’s a small range.

quote:

For basic gunfighting, weapons are restricted to a few general categories of firearms (see Table 2.1-1: Basic Firearms). You may either choose your weapon from this list or roll a d6 to randomly determine your armament.
code:
<skybot> 3 (d6=3)

quote:

If you want to get a "feel" for your gunfighter, you may also choose to roll on one or more of the quick background tables found on the following page.
code:
<skybot> 1 (d2=1)
<skybot> 5 (d10=5)
<skybot> 18 (d20=18)
Holly Sawyer, Stage Coach Driver turned gunfighter.

That wasn't bad. People were telling me that this was like an old west Hackmaster, full of circle strafing gunslingers and spreadsheets for your cattle drives. The next chapter is only a few pages and has all the stuff for shooting, it couldn't be that bad…

Oh…

We get to do character creation all over again, and this time, it is much more complicated. To start off, we get 75 Building Points (BPs) to do stuff with.
Next, we roll for ability scores. Strength, intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, Constitution, Looks, and Charisma. Sound familiar? 3d6 down the line, each with a d100 percentile score added!
code:
S: <skybot> 14 (3d6=5, 6, 3) <skybot> 84 (1d100=84)
I: <skybot> 12 (3d6=2, 4, 6) <skybot> 76 (1d100=76)
W: <skybot> 14 (3d6=5, 3, 6) <skybot> 1 (1d100=1)
D: <skybot> 11 (3d6=4, 3, 4) <skybot> 96 (1d100=96)
C: <skybot> 17 (3d6=6, 6, 5) <skybot> 22 (1d100=22)
L: <skybot> 13 (3d6=5, 3, 5) <skybot> 50 (1d100=50)
Ch: <skybot> 11 (3d6=5, 1, 5) <skybot> 3 (1d100=3)
Strength, of course, determines how much we can lift. Intelligence effects our accuracy, how well we learn skills, and gives us more BP (1). Wisdom makes us quicker, gives us more BP (6), and effects how well we learn skills. Dex makes us quick and gives an accuracy bonus. Constitution gives us bonus hit points (7). Looks gives us a bonus to Charisma (1), and modifies our reputation and fame. Charisma, now 12/03 thanks to our looks, gives bonus BP (1), and effects our skill learning, reputation, and how many henchmen-err, "compatriots" we can have.
If we don't like these, there are options. We can sacrifice points in one score to raise another, with diminishing returns (an 8 to a 9 is 2 points, but a 17 to an 18 is 5), we can trade ability points in for BPs, 7 to be exact, and later use those, or we can use our starting BPs at one BP per 5 percentile points, for the first 100, after which the price starts to go up. I think we are fine with those abilities.

We calculate our starting Reputation by averaging all 7 ability scores. Our reputation is 13, plus 1 for our Looks, plus 1 for our Charisma. A 15 Reputation gives us another 35 BPs! Our Fame starts at 0, plus 2 because of our looks.

Next, we get to our "Priors and Particulars." The game gives us a handy chart to keep track of where we are:

We choose our nationality by rolling on the Place of Origin table.
code:
<skybot> 48 (1d100=48)
USA: East (NY, PA, NJ, KN)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooPBXfnIpYI&t=19s

We roll our age:
code:
<skybot> 16 (1d12+14=2)
With this, and many other steps, we can spend 1 BP to re-roll, or spend 5 BP to just pick. We have 138 BPs, so we will go ahead and spend one now, just because.
code:
<skybot> 25 (1d12+14=11)
We are 25, with 137 BPs.

Next, Handedness. I guess this could be relevant in a gunslinger game.
code:
<skybot> 27 (1d100=27)
Right handed!

Next, height and weight. But we need to know if we are male or female first!
code:
<skybot> 1 (1d2=1)
Ok, so male.
code:
<skybot> 5 (1d100=5)
64" Tall, and, checking the weight roll for our height…
code:
<skybot> 138 (5d6+120=4, 5, 2, 6, 1)
138 lbs. Just a little guy! There is an alternative system here for rolling on a BMI table and generating height and weight that way, but I've had enough of that with FATAL. I only mention it because it is there.

Family and Social Class are next, and while we can skip this, it just doesn't feel right at this point, so over to chapter 6.5 we go...
Circumstances of Birth?
code:
<skybot> 3 (1d100=3)
Legitimate!
Status of Parents?
code:
<skybot> 30 (1d100=30)
They are alive!
Status of Siblings?
code:
<skybot> 17 (1d20=17)
There are 7 (!) of them,
code:
<skybot> 27 (7d6=6, 4, 2, 3, 3, 5, 4)
3 Boys and 4 Girls,
code:
<skybot> 347 (7d100=40, 4, 91, 35, 19, 85, 73)
Sister #1 died of smallpox. Sister #2 died in infancy from an infectious disease, Brother #1 is alive, Brother #2 died from pneumonia, Brother #3 died in infancy from an infectious disease, Sister #3 and #4 are alive!
code:
<skybot> 153 (3d100=26, 33, 94)
None of them are our twin.
code:
<skybot> 1 (d8=1)
We are the oldest among all of these kids (+10 starting money roll).
code:
<skybot> 17 (2d12+1=8, 8)
<skybot> 13 (2d12+1=6, 6)
<skybot> 20 (2d12+1=11, 8)
Our brother and youngest sister are very close, and our other sister is just OK with us.
code:
<skybot> 62 (d100+7=55)
Our parents were ill-equipped to deal with this many kids.
Social Class?
code:
<skybot> 19 (d100=19)
Lower Lower Class: -5 reputation in our Place of Origin, and -20 starting money.
code:
<skybot> 6 (d6=6)
Being from the USA, we are a Criminal (petty crimes).
Whats my name?
code:
<skybot> 88 (2d100=6, 82)
John Lewis.
code:
<skybot> 26 (d100=26)
AKA [based on lowest Ability Score]… uhhh Stumbles. John "Stumbles" Lewis.

So zooming back to the character creation section, we determine our starting money, which we will take a -10 on because we are the oldest child of a lower lower class family.
code:
<skybot> 37 (d100-10=47)
<skybot> 21 (1d6+15=6)
21 dollars in our pocket. Why did we roll to roll? Because the percentile is for a chart that ranges from Hereditary Debt to 3d10+70.
Why did we head out west?
code:
<skybot> 81 (1d100=81)
Lure of Adventure!

We get extra BPs if we take Quirks and Flaws, so lets do that too. If we roll, we get full BPs, otherwise we only get half. We get -5 points for each quirk beyond the first too, so we are going to go for two rolls.
code:
<skybot> 40 (1d100=40)
Hygienic Quirks...
code:
<skybot> 27 (1d100=27)
Clean Freak, worth 25 BPs, bringing us to 162.
code:
<skybot> 67 (1d100=67)
Rest and Relaxation Quirks...
code:
<skybot> 70 (1d100=70)
Chiseler, worth-5, so another 25 BPs, bringing us to 187.
I didn't roll a flaw, so that’s good I guess. We are also supposed to create a backstory for each quirk and flaw, otherwise we only get half! Nice way to keep people from rolling a ton, but we will just say we did. (A Chiseler is apparently a person who is unfair in business and lies, cheats, or changes terms to take advantage of people)

Next, we pick skills. We buy these with our BP and would improve them later with BP in-game. Skill checks are a percentile roll, trying to roll over the percentage, which starts at 100 minus the mastery die listed for the skill. Skills costs are reduced by the skill learning modifier of our Int, Wis, or Cha, if the skill matches up. Past the initial cost of the skill, to improve it further we just pay the cost again, cumulative with the original cost.
A giant skill list like this really makes my eyelids start to sag, so I'm just going to throw all but about 70 points (I want to save some for Talents, next) into Accounting, Math (needed for Accounting), Reading Comprehension (needed for math), Art of Seduction, and Telegraph Operating.
pre:
Skill Name	BP Cost/Tally	Ability	Mastery Skill %
Accounting	2 //		INT	1d8	95
Mathematics	5 ////		INT	1d8	80
Reading Comp	3 ////		INT	1d6	84
Seduction, Art 	1 /////		CHA/LKS	1d6	75
Telegraph Op.	3 ///		INT	1d8	83
There we go, 76 points left. Remember, to do a skill we roll a percentile dice and try to get over that Skill %. There are modifiers, ranging from a trivial task at +90% to a very difficult task at -10%. So despite only having an 80% chance to succeed in math, we can probably figure out 2+2=4.
There is a whole chapter later on explaining what each skill is and an example of each of the difficulty levels. Just looking at the average (+40%) for our skills:
Accounting: Auditing a business' books
Mathematics: Work a math problem with a reasonable time limit
Reading Comprehension/Penmanship: Reading a novel; reading good penmanship in dim light; writing with average materials and lighting in a room with obvious background noise
Seduction, Art of: Seducing a stranger or acquaintance
Telegraph Operating: Working with familiar equipment

The last step in creating a character is Talents. They are special abilities, like advantages or feats in other systems. John "Stumbles" Lewis here, judging by his skills and stuff so far is a man made tough through minor crime, but with a head for book learning, who has recently begun seducing his way into banks and stage coach offices and telegraphing out their financial records. His Talents will aid that idea.
ASTUTE OBSERVATION (50 BP)
Characters with this talent notice what's going on around them, and are quick to spot details that could be important. Where other characters only "see," he "observes." A character with this talent can spot a journalist by the imprints in his sleeves and the ink stains on his finger, a pugilist by his cauliflower ears, a miner by his calluses and upper body muscles, and so on.
INHERITANCE (16 BP)
Some characters were born with a silver spoon in their mouth . For each BP spent to purchase this talent (minimum 10 BP), the character receives an additional $10 of starting money.
QUICK THINKING (10 BPJ
Quick thinkers arrive at conclusions and understanding more effectively than most. This gives them an effective + 1 bonus on all Intelligence and Wisdom checks, Though it docs not affect their actual Ability Scores.

We buy a couple guns….

...and steal a horse because making a horse in this game is like making a character in most other games...

…and assume we spend the rest of our inheritance money on clothes and poo poo.

pre:
John "Stumbles" Lewis
Strength: 14.84		Damage +2 Lift 240 Carry 84 Drag 600
Intelligence: 12.76 	Accuracy +1 BP +1 Skill +1
Wisdom: 14.01		Speed +1 BP +6 Skill +3
Dexterity: 11.96 	Speed +1 Accuracy +0
Constitution: 17.22 	HP +6
Charisma: 12.03 	BP +1 Skill +1 Comp 5 Rep +1
Looks: 13.50 		Cha +1 Rep +1 Fame +2

HP: 30			Cash: $21

Quirks 		Talents
Clean Freak	Astute Observation
Chiseler	Inheritance
		Quick Thinking

Weapon		Shots	Damage	Draw	Reload	Accuracy (5-40)
S&W 44DA	6	D5+1	0	8	+8/+4/+2/+0/-2/-4/-6
Remington	2	D4/p	+6	25/30	+8/+4/+4/+3/+3/+2/+1
Lets see how this guy does…

quote:

No matter how experienced in western or other RPGs you feel your group is, we can't stress enough that you should NOT try to include the Advanced Rules in your first game session. The result will inevitably be a game bogged down in minutia while you pore over the rules again and again.
Hell yeah, we doin this.

Stumbles is creeping out of the headquarters of the local telegraph office after yet another successful transmission, but the lawman that his been hot on his trail, Winson Paine, is there waiting for him.

quote:

Winson Paine: hp 21; Spd 4, Acc 2; Str 12/24, Int 12/48, Wis 10/64, Dex 13/65, Con 11/71, Cha 11/14; Lks 9/19, Rep 11 (Low), Fame 0; Weapons Colt Bisley .45 caliber 5 1/2" barrel revolver (draw 5, aim 4, d6+1 damage, 6 shots); Colt 1868 shotgun (draw 10, aim 4, d4 damage, 2 shots) on horse.

In order of lowest to highest Wisdom, Stumbles and Winson declare their actions. Stumbles, with 14.01, beats Winson's 11.52, so Winson has to declare first. Winson knows that Stumbles is armed and dangerous, and has no lawful business at the telegraph office, so he is going to draw. Stumbles too, declares that he is drawing.
We both roll a d10 for initiative, adding our base speed.
code:
<skybot> 8 (1d10+2=6)
<skybot> 10 (1d10+2=8)
Winson is slower (higher) on the draw. We count up, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8… Stumbles can act. He draws his pistol and fires from the hip, an action that will be finished at count 13 (drawing is base 5, +0 for his gun). We continue counting, 9, 10… Winson acts, doing the same when we get to 15. 11, 12, 13- Stumbles fires.

We place the shot clock on the target silhouette's center of mass… wait, what?

Yeah. We do that, and roll to hit. +1 for our Int accuracy, +4 for being 10' away, and -4 for shooting from the hip.
code:
<skybot> 16 (d20+1+4-4=15)
A 25 or higher is a hit, so that’s a miss. Since we missed, we draw a card from a standard poker deck. The 7 of Diamonds. Looking at the shot clock, we see that diamonds are to our left, a 7 almost due left, and a 16 is way off. A 7 of Spades would have ruined Winson's day, but Diamonds is just a miss.

Stumbles gets to declare his next action here, which will be to walk to the left, turn to the right, cock, and fire again. Running is 3 counts for 5 feet, changing 1 facing is 1, cock and fire is 5, so Stumbles' next action will be at 22.

We continue counting to 15, where we are shot back at. Stumbles ran to the left though, and Winson, being right handed, has to turn to shoot, delaying him until count 17. Same thing, center of mass again (we would use a different silhouette if we were shooting the side, but Stumbles has already turned by now).Winson is a little more dexterous than us and has a +2, +4 for the distance, -4 for hip shooting, -4 for a running target, and -2 for having to turn!
code:
<skybot> 1 (d20+2+4-4-4-2=5)
As we can see on the shot clock, you need at least a 15 to even shoot us in the knee or shoot our hat off, so that is a complete miss.

Winson's next action is going to be to change facing (1), aim (4), cock and fire (5) at 27!

Counting up again, we get to 22. Stumbles shoots again, at center of mass.
code:
<skybot> 6 (d20+1+4-4=5)
Another total miss! For his action, Stumbles is strafing again, at 31.

We get to 27, and Winson has aimed, giving him a +4!
code:
<skybot> 17 (d20+2+4-4-2-4+4=17)
Not a direct hit, but enough to check the clock. We draw a jack of clubs, check that on on the 17 row of the shot clock. Ouch! Right Thigh!
code:
<skybot> 2 (d6+1=1)
2 damage. Stumbles will take a 6 speed penalty (1 from <25% of HP, 5 from a leg wound) to all actions and -1 to his accuracy. The wound is not severe, so there is no further damage.

Winson turns, cocks, and fires again, at 33.

At 31, Stumbles (keeping true to his name) has limped over, and takes another shot.
code:
<skybot> 16 (d20+1+4-4-1=16)
Another near miss...We pull the Jack of Diamonds, off to the left again.

Tick tock, 33 rolls around, and Winson shoots without an aim bonus.
code:
<skybot> 0 (d20+2+4-4-2-4=4)
Whiff...

I'm going to cut things off here. As you can see, the circle strafe method works pretty well, as long as you don't get hit in the leg. Winson gets 2 or 3 shots for every one of Stumbles', but he takes a huge penalty to hit. Stumbles would be wise to conserve ammo here, and wait for Winson to run out, in which case there would be a huge time penalty of 10 per shell loaded, or 100 for an entire cylinder. Stumbles could basically aim and fire with impunity. Winson, of course, if he wasn't the moderator of an internet forum, would be smart to do the same, locking the two of them into infinitely circling and reloading.

Next time, we will run Stumbles through the Ranching and Frontier Justice subgames!

Dagon fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 25, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ars Magica: You're A Wizard, 'Arry

Okay. Last time we'd rolled that we'd be making a House Guernicus magus. I will be making this character, a Companion character and a Grog character, using just the Core. I will then add books and make characters from them later, if I feel like it.

So. Let's follow the steps from the book.

1. Pick a character concept.

I've decided we are going to make a Wizard Cop. He is an investigator and doesn't trust people much. He drinks a lot. He's also male and...eh, we'll say...Spanish. He is a Moor. His birth name is Malik ibn Darras, and he goes by the wizarding name of Avendaras.

pre:
Malik ibn Darras, Avendaras
2. Hermetic Magi Only: Pick a House

Guernicus. The book directs us to page 30. House Guernicus magi start with the free minor Virtue Hermetic Prestige, which is on page 43. Turning to page 43...

quote:

Because of something in your background, other magi look up to you even if you haven't earned that respect. Some envy you, and most will certainly expect more from you than from others. You gain a Reputation of level 3 within the Order.

All right. Clearly Malik is renowned for his dogged investigatory style.

pre:
House: Guernicus

Virtues
(FREE) Hermetic Prestige (0)

Reputations
Dogged Investigator 3 (Hermetic)
3. Virtues and Flaws

I usually don't use this order, but sure, we can do this. We have 0 points of Virtues and Flaws. We can take up to ten points of Flaws and the same number of Virtues. We turn to the Virtues and Flaws Guidelines on page 37. Majors are 3 points, Minors are 1.

quote:

Magi
  • You may take up to 10 points of Flaws, and an equal number of Virtues
  • You may not have more than 5 Minor Flaws
  • You may not have more than one Major Hermetic Virtue
  • You must take The Gift and the Hermetic Magus Social Statue Virtue
  • You receive one free Minor Virtue from your choice of House, which you need not balance with a Flaw
  • You should take at least one Hermetic Flaw
  • You should not take more than one Story Flaw
  • You should not take more than two Personality Flaws, and cannot take more than one Major Personality Flaw

Okay. So, let's look at the things we must take. The Gift, page 43. A Special Virtue, which has no cost.

quote:

You have the ability to work magic. See "The Gift" on page 36 for full details.

Page 36 just tells us that all characters with the Gift can take Hermetic Virtues and Flaws if appropriate to their background. Anyone with the Gift can pick one supernatural ability that they can learn without the necessary Virtue; for Hermetic magi, this is Hermetic magic. Grogs can never have the Gift, but a Companion might if the group allows it. The book suggests this be allowed only for characters intended to become magi, and that the group should only allow it if they are absolutely certain they want to.

Hermetic Magus is a Free Social Status.

quote:

You are a member of the Order of Hermes. All magi must take this as their Social Status, and only magi may take it.

Noted. So, let's look at flaws. First, we need to take a Hermetic flaw. Our options:

• Blatant Gift: Major. Rather than the normal -3, you get -6 to interaction rolls with normal people and animals.
  • Chaotic Magic: Major. Whenever you cast a spontaneous spell, you have to pick the level of effect you want exactly, rather than generalizing. If you end up rolling more than one level off it, your spell still works, but is out of your control and in the hands of the GM. This is an extremely dangerous flaw, and I almost never take it as a result.
  • Deficient Technique: Major. You halve all totals that include a particular Technique, except for its actual level and the amount of XP you need to raise it. Since the Techniques are all pretty important, you have to think hard about taking this.
  • Difficult Longevity Ritual: Major. Anyone, including you, who tries to make a Longevity Ritual for you must halve their total, though you have no penalty to making them for others. This is painful - aging is a killer.
    Magic Addiction: Major. Whenever you cast a spell in a stressful situation, you must make an Intelligence+Concentration roll against half the spell's attempted level to avoid casting another spell - either a Formulaic spell at least as powerful, or any spontaneous spell as long as you expend Fatigue and don't use any Penetration. You have to keep doing this for every spell, but each failed roll gives a +3 bonus, cumulatively, to later rolls in the sequence until you succeed and can stop. If you botch, you keep casting until you fall unconscious. This is pretty hefty.
  • Necessary Condition: Major. You must perform a specific, simple action in order to do any magic at all, such as singing or spinning around three times. Not so bad, it just means you can't ever really hide what you're about to do. And if you are prevented from doing your thing, well, you're screwed.
  • Painful Magic: Major. When doing magic, you take a penalty to actions as if you'd lost a level of Fatigue, cumulative with all other penalties you are currently suffering, which lasts until you would normally recover that Fatigue. This is...well, those penalties add up, and fast.
  • Restriction: Major. In certain uncommon conditions, you cannot do magic at all. This might be 'when you touch the earth directly' or 'when you have no beard,' or 'when trying to affect birds' or 'when trying to affect glass,' or 'when on a small boat' or 'when in a storm'. This restriction also applies to any magic items you make, no matter who tries to use them. However, once the magic's up, it won't go away. So if you must have a beard and then shave, any ongoing spells keep going, you just can't cast new ones.
  • Rigid Magic: Major. You can't use vis when casting spells, just in the lab. This is big - it means you can't boost spells, which is fairly minor, but it also means that you can never do Ritual magic. And that's big - all magic over a certain level is Ritual, as is all instant healing and permanent creation.
  • Short-Ranged Magic: Major. When you aren't touching your target, halve all casting totals. Halve all lab totals when creating effects or spells with range greater than Touch. Another one I'd never take.
  • Study Requirement: Major. You can't learn magic just from books or vis - you must study in the presence of an expression of the appropriate Art, with size relative to the level of magic you are studying. So if you want to learn about fire magic, you need a fire around - a small one, if you're not good at fire magic, but if you're really good you may need to take your book to a volcano.
  • Twilight Prone: Major. You must roll to resist Twilight on even a single magical botch, rather than a double botch. This...well, this can be fun, but going into Twilight is also pretty dangerous and breaks a lot of your ongoing magic.
  • Unstructured Caster: Major. You cast all formulaic magic as if it was Ritual magic. You can't learn Ritual spells. You can do spontaneous magic normally. This, like Rigid Magic, is absolutely awful. In fact I'd say it's worse.
  • Waster of Vis: Major. Whenever you do something that costs vis, you use 25% more (rounded up) than normally required, to no benefit. If you take this, you will never, ever be an enchanter.
  • Weak Magic Resistance: Major. Under certain relatively common conditions, such as 'when wet' or 'when facing away from the caster', magic used on you is much better at piercing your resistance. Very dangerous.
  • Weak Spontaneous Magic: Major. You may not exert yourself on spontaneous magic, so your spontaneous magic is always exceptionally weak. This...well, it's pretty bad, but not using spontaneous magic a lot is not as terrible as it could be.
  • Careless Sorcerer: Minor. Roll two more botch dice than normal if you have to check for botch when casting spells. Not terrible, really. Makes botches more likely, of course, since each botch die has a 10% chance of botching.
  • Clumsy Magic: Minor. You automatically botch on a roll of 0 when aiming spells, and all Finesse rolls are at -5. This isn't deadly - a lot of magic doesn't have to be aimed - but it means you will never use craft magic or aimed spells, so all of your spells can be resisted.
  • Creative Block: Minor. You get -3 on lab totals to invent new spells, craft magic items or make potions unless you are working from a lab text. If you experiment, roll twice as many dice on the experimentation table. I don't like this because I like creating new poo poo.
  • Cyclic Magic (Negative): Minor. You get -3 to all lab and casting totals half the time. You decide which half - maybe your cycle is normal in summer and winter but bad in fall and spring, say.
  • Deficient Form: Minor. As Deficient Technique, but for a Form. It's a Minor because there's so many Forms that sucking terribly at one is not usually a huge deal.
  • Deleterious Circumstances: In certain uncommon circumstances, your magic totals are all halved. For example, 'when sitting' or 'when wet', 'against wild animals' or 'when affecting iron', or 'when in a city' or 'when on a high mountain.' Could be worse.
  • Difficult Spontaneous Magic: Minor. You can't cast spontaneous magic without exerting yourself. Since most magi never do that anyway except for magic they are extremely good at, this is not really a big deal.
  • Disjointed Magic: Minor. When creating a spell or effect, you get no bonus for knowing a similar one or for having similar magic already in the item you are enchanting. This is mostly just annoying.
  • Disorientating Magic: Minor. After you cast a spell, you must spend a round recovering. Never, ever take this if you plan to be anywhere near combat, it isn't worth it.
  • Flawed Parma Magica: Your Parma provides only half the normal protection against one Form. You can take this more than once, but I'd not recommend it. Though, obviously, some Forms will see more use than others - being weak against Animal magic isn't a big deal for most magi, but being weak against Mentem sure is!
  • Hedge Wizard: Minor. You have a bad reputation in the Order as a hedge wizard. Annoying, especially politically, but not crippling.
  • Incompatible Arts: Minor. You pick one Form/Technique combination that you just can't cast. You can take this multiple times, but you can't take it if you have a Deficiency. I don't like taking it.
  • Infamous Master: Minor. Your master had a bad reputation, and so do you. See Hedge Wizard.
  • Limited Magic Resistance: Minor. You have no innate resistance to magic of a specific Form, if caught without your Parma. Not so bad, really - that's A. rare and B. isn't actually very helpful against non-damaging effects to begin with. Innate resistance basically just reduces damage.
  • Loose Magic: Minor. When trying to master spells, you halve your XP gain. This is primarily annoying - mastery, while nice, is not required.
  • Offensive to Animals: Minor. Animals react to you as if you were Gifted. You can only take this if you have the Gentle Gift Virtue.
  • Poor Formulaic Magic: Minor. You are at -5 to cast all non-Ritual formulaic spells. I cannot imagine why you would ever, ever take this.
  • Short-Lived Magic: Minor. Your spells last shorter than usual - year-long spells last one moon cycle. Spells to last one moon last until the next sunrise or sunset. Spells that would normally last to sunrise or sunset last only two minutes. Spells shorter than that aren't affected. Annoying as poo poo.
  • Slow Caster: Minor. Your formulaic non-Ritual spells take two rounds to cast. So do your spontaneous spells, unless you fast-cast, in which case they take one. Fast-cast mastered formulaic spells also take a single round. This is another 'never take it if you plan to do combat' thing.
  • Susceptibility to Divine Power: Minor. You suffer twice the normal Divine aura penalties. This is pretty bad, since those are fairly common - they show up anywhere that monotheists live and worship for long periods.
  • Susceptibility to Faerie Power: Minor. Whenever you enter a Faerie aura, you must make a Stamina roll to avoid disorientation, and you halve all forms of Magic Resistance against Faerie magic, though if someone else protects you with their Parma, their resistance isn't affected and you get the full benefits of it. This...well, it could be worse, but faeries are dangerous enough.
  • Susceptibility to Infernal Power: Minor. When you enter an Infernal aura, you must make a Stamina roll to avoid becoming sick. If you get sick, you get -1 to all rolls until you leave the aura. Also, you get only half resistance against Infernal magic, as per above. Demons will terrify the poo poo out of you, the player.
  • Unimaginative Learner: Minor. You get -3 to rolls to study from vis. This...well, this is going to annoy you at high power levels, but early on you won't notice.
  • Unpredictable Magic: Even when relaxed, you cast magic as if you were stressed and must check for botch even when casting spontaneous magic without spending Fatigue, even though the roll won't benefit you. Even if you master a spell, you always have at least one botch die. I don't mind this one so much, but I tend to find magic botches entertaining.
  • Warped Magic: Minor. Your magic has some unpleasant side effect that accompanies all of your spells. For example, you may heat nearby items or wilt nearby plants. This is mostly just annoying.
  • Weak Enchanter: Minor. Halve your lab totals when dealing with items. I never, ever take this.
  • Weak Magic: Minor. You halve all Penetration totals and only get half the normal benefits when instilling Penetration in an item. This...is going to annoy you, but only when deaing with other magi or supernatural beings.
  • Weak Parens: Minor. You get 60 fewer XP and 30 fewer spell levels during apprenticeship. Never, ever take this. Ever.
  • Weak Scholar: Minor. You get -6 to Lab Totals when using others' lab texts for any reason. This is not that bad - it just means you're gonna be reinventing stuff from scratch.
  • Weird Magic: Minor. Whenever you check for botch on a magical spell, roll an extra botch die. If this die botches, the effects are mostly strange rather than dangerous, though if a regular botch also happens, the effects are going to be spectacular. This is...well, it's really not much of a flaw.

Anyway, looking all this over, I think I am going to select Weak Scholar - our man doesn't trust other people's work much - and Weak Spontaneous Magic. He needs to put effort in to get results.

pre:

Virtues

Flaws
Weak Scholar (-1)
Weak Spontaneous Magic (-1)

Reputations
That's 2 of our 10 potential points of Flaws.

Next Time: We finish up Flaws and Virtues, maybe

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 25, 2014

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Are you thinking of running Ars Magica again some time, Mors? Every time you post about it I get a bit nostalgic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kellsterik posted:

Are you thinking of running Ars Magica again some time, Mors? Every time you post about it I get a bit nostalgic.

If I do, it's gonna be a while. Lately my life has been pretty hectic!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Jeezy creezy Weak Parens should probably be a major flaw.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Alumnus Post posted:

If anyone ends up actually trying to use this to make a character, I would love to hear about it. It could probably be adapted to things like campaign settings, Grim Portents, or notable NPCs pretty easily, as well.

I just used this method to roll up a Homestuck troll (because of reasons, shut up), and I poo poo you not the first card was the Ten of Pentacles.

Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Hey, Alumnus Post, I'm gonna write up this character I made for my blog and talk about the generation method. I'd love to link to this thread, but it's not visible without a forums account. Want me to cite you in any way?

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 25, 2014

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

pre:
John "Stumbles" Lewis
Strength: 14.84		Damage +2 Lift 240 Carry 84 Drag 600
Intelligence: 12.76 	Accuracy +1 BP +1 Skill +1
Wisdom: 14.01		Speed +1 BP +6 Skill +3
Dexterity: 11.96 	Speed +1 Accuracy +0
Constitution: 17.22 	HP +6
Charisma: 12.03 	BP +1 Skill +1 Comp 5 Rep +1
Looks: 13.50 		Cha +1 Rep +1 Fame +2

HP: 30			Cash: $21

Quirks 		Talents
Clean Freak	Astute Observation
Chiseler	Inheritance
		Quick Thinking

Weapon		Shots	Damage	Draw	Reload	Accuracy (5-40)
S&W 44DA	6	D5+1	0	8	+8/+4/+2/+0/-2/-4/-6
Remington	2	D4/p	+6	25/30	+8/+4/+4/+3/+3/+2/+1
When we left stumbles, he was running circles around the lawman Winson Paine. Eventually, he escaped, stopped his life of crime, and started a cattle ranch.

quote:

Covering every facet of establishing and running a ranch is beyond the scope of this book, but a broad overview of the process can arm players with enough information to work out the basics.

We are told that a Beeve (beef, cattle) requires 10 acres of land, 15 if it is scrubby, per animal per year. Each head also needs 30 gallons of water per day. Calves take 4 years to mature. So, a modest herd of 400 cattle, by the book, needs 4000-6000 acres (10 square miles) near a natural spring or stream.

Those cattle might be worth $4-5 a head out in the ranchlands, but back at the railheads where they can be hauled back east, prices can be ten times that. Enter the cattle drive. For a months long cattle drive to succeed, we need real Cowboys, that is in game terms, someone with skill in Animal Herding, Riding, and Rope use. Stumbles has none of those. He is an accountant, though, and can probably plan this drive…

Each "turn" of the cattle drive is one game day. In that day, we do the following:
1. Determine today's movement rate (or graze).
2. Make Animal Herding check for movement or grazing. If failed, check for stampede.
3. Send scout ahead to other hexes.
4. Record how movement or grazing affected Quality of Beef.
5. Roll 1d10 to check for severe weather.
6. Make Animal Herding check for river crossing, if applicable. Success=d3 cattle lost, failure=d12 cattle lost and chance for stampede.
7. Roll for random encounter, or act on scout information.
8. Roll for chance of finding water.
9. Record dehydration if applicable.
10. Make riding check for scout.

Stumbles is put in charge of a 500-head drive. He hires 2 Cowboys at $30/month each, a Range Boss at $100/mo, a Range Cook at $40/mo, and 2 Wranglers for $25/mo each. Total expenses will be $250 per month- not much considering the possible profit involved, even with the expected 10-30% losses.

Lets say the last person to take care of the herd had a 70 in Animal Husbandry.
code:
<skybot> 46 (d100=46)
Failed by 24%, so our beef starts off three notches down from Exceptional, at Fair. These cattle will only get $20 per head, unless we can get in some good grazing before we get to the railhead. That is still around $6-9,000!

Plotting our course on the Official Cattle Drive Map, we can see that our route will be through (B=Bare, S=Sparse, A=Adequate, L=Lush, /=River crossing) AAAAAABSB/AAAAAAAABAA/BAAAASA/AABLA/AAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA/LLAAAAAA or, 96 days if we make good time.
These terrain types influence the quality of beef, and also the difficulty of our herding checks. Moving double-time will hurt our quality of beef badly and make the checks harder, but time is money. If we stop and graze, quality of beef will go up a decent amount.
Stumbles' plan is to stop and graze in Lush territory, and move double time for one day if quality of beef is Exceptional, otherwise, move normal speed.

At this point my give-a-fucks are at an all time low, and Stumbles wires himself a large sum of money from the ranching operation and skips out of town. The law catches up with him though, as we move to the Frontier Justice mini game!

In front of a jury of 12 peers and the judge, the player taking the part of the prosecutor explains his case. The other players vote on how much merit the case has; flimsy, circumstantial, or solid and credible. Stumbles was the only person working at the ranch office that day, but he covered his tracks well and there is nothing directly putting his finger on the telegraph button. The players decide it is circumstantial, a +2 value.
code:
<skybot> 77 (d100=77)
Things don't look good for stumbles, the judge is a stern former lawman, Judge Paine!
code:
<skybot> 7 (d6+2+1+1=3)
+2 for circumstantial evidence, +1 for a stern judge, and +1 for Stumbles' low reputation means there is enough evidence to stand trial.

The player representing the prosecutor and defense (in this case Stumbles representing himself) each take 6d6 to determine the jury's predisposition. A 6 meaning they are convinced of his guilt, a 1 of innocence. Each dice moves 1 towards guilt because of Stumbles' low reputation, again.
code:
<skybot> 42 (12d6=5, 1, 6, 2, 1, 2, 6, 4, 2, 6, 4, 3)
We also need to know each juror's wisdom score are you loving kidding me to determine their personality and how likely they are to be swayed. We roll, consult a chart, and place them on the jury grid.
pre:
Juror	6	5	4	3	2	1
1	2
2					2
3	3
4				2
5					2
6				2
7	2
8		2
9				2
10	3
11		2
12			1
A 1 rating is illogical, and gets moved 2 spaces instead of 1. A 2 rating is conventional, 1 point moves them 1 space. A 3 rating is contemplative, and takes 2 points to move one space. Above that we get some weird jurors that have restrictions on points spent and stuff.
Luckily for Stumbles, this jury is pretty open to being moved. Most of them already want to see him hang, including the two contemplative types, but there are a decent number doubting his guilt, too. Juror 12 will be a wild card and could very well decide the case.
Of course, Stumbles tries to tamper with the jury. He has no skill in Intimidation or Salesmanship, but can still try. He aims for Jurors 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 12, since Contemplative types are harder to convince. He doesn't push his luck, though… too many failed attempts and the judge might dismiss them all. Jurors 2 and 4 are bribed and threatened enough to be convinced of Stumbles' innocence, but Juror 5 goes to the judge, increasing Judge Paine's severity by 1.

Opening Arguments time! The Prosecutor is the Lawyer NPC given in the book, with Law at 40 and Oration at 44. Stumbles, knowing this day would come, scrounged up 6 BP over the course of his life of crime and bought the Law and Oration skills, at 97 and 92, respectively. We are heavily outmatched. The Prosecutor makes his speech, putting the legalities of the case into simple terms but playing it safe and not using any words that are too big, an Average Oration check:
code:
<skybot> 138 (d100+40=98)
Making an Average check gets the Prosecutor 4 juror points. Stumbles knows better, and makes a very simple speech, appealing to their emotions and basically pleading for his life, a Trivial check:
code:
<skybot> 162 (d100+90=72)
He makes the check as well, and gets 1 juror point. Both of them rolled well and could have gone for harder checks, but they were playing it safe. Failure of an average or easier check gets no points, but failing at a harder check gives points to your opponent!

The Prosecution uses their points to move Jurors 2 and 9 each two spaces towards guilty. The Defense moves Juror 8 one space towards innocent.
pre:
Juror	6	5	4	3	2	1
1	2
2			2		
3	3
4				2
5			2		
6				2
7	2
8			2
9				2
10	3
11		2
12			1
Next the evidence is presented. Each side role-plays their case, and the other players rate their performance on a scale of 1 to 6. The ratings are averaged and compared to a table. We can easily roll for this:
code:
<skybot> 1 (d6=1)
<skybot> 2 (d6=2)
Not much evidence, it seems. The prosecution's case is flimsy, and the defenders case refuted only minor portions of the prosecutor's case. Each side then makes Law skill checks to try to call upon precedent or other such legal maneuvering.
code:
<skybot> 58 (d100=58)
The Prosecution goes for a Difficult check, which at his "Advanced" skill level gets him a +2. Stumbles, however, is a novice and can only attempt a Very Difficult check:
code:
<skybot> 18 (d100-10=28)
Which he fails miserably at and gets no bonus. Scores are compared (3 vs 2) and the winner gets 10x the difference in their scores in Juror points! Ouch.

The prosecution is far ahead here, and looks to seal the deal. He moves Jurors 2, 5, and 8 1 space (3 points), Jurors 4, 6, 9, and 12 2 spaces (7 points).
pre:
Juror	6	5	4	3	2	1
1	2
2		2			
3	3
4		2		
5		2			
6		2		
7	2
8		2
9		2		
10	3
11		2
12	1	
Closing arguments come next, and the two sides make a contested Oration check. The difference between the two scores, divided by five, is the number of Juror Points up for grabs.
code:
<skybot> 58 (d100=58)
<skybot> 82 (d100=82)
The Prosecution gets a 58 while Stumbles gets an 82. The prosecutor succeed by 14 while the defense failed by 10. The prosecution wins by 24, divided by five and truncating gives 4 more points.

To lock up the case, the prosecutor moves Jurors 4, 5, and 8 all the way over. As we enter Jury Deliberations, though, our intimidation efforts pay off and Jurors 2 and 4 jump back to our side!

pre:
Juror	6	5	4	3	2	1
1	2
2						2
3	3
4						2
5	2
6		2
7	2
8	2	
9	2
10	3
11		2
12	1	
Each side gets 1d6 per juror in the 2 or 5 column and 2d6 per juror in the 1 or 6 colum, and they roll off, each roll representing 1 day in deliberations. The totals are compared, and the difference awarded to the higher roll in Juror points.
code:
<skybot> 50 (16d6=3, 4, 4, 3, 3, 6, 2, 4, 5, 1, 4, 3, 2, 3, 1, 2)
<skybot> 15 (4d6=4, 6, 1, 4)
Stumbles never had a chance. 15 points is enough to move every Juror all the way to the Guilty column, and their side gets 35 on the first day. Lucky for him, they don’t hang for his crime, but he is sentenced to many years in jail.

The legal minigame is neat! gently caress the rest of this game though.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 25, 2014

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug

inklesspen posted:

Hey, Alumnus Post, I'm gonna write up this character I made for my blog and talk about the generation method. I'd love to link to this thread, but it's not visible without a forums account. Want me to cite you in any way?

Please do! Glad you think what I've come up with is useful (and actually makes sense). The method is my own, although I obviously don't lay claim to inventing anything else about it. And when it's done, I'd love to see what you've made. Is it for a PnP RPG, or just because you need a :fut: for whatever purpose? You could probably post the completed character over here.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

MILLENIUM’S END

Do you enjoy Tom Clancy novels? Did you think that the 90’s were the best decade ever? Do you like combat that goes in lots and lots (and lots) of gritty details? Then this might just be the game for you! (It’s not).

Millennium’s End is a RPG that is all about “Modern Roleplaying in the Technothriller Genre”. We’re going to create a character for it.

The character sheet. Not pictured: 2 pages just for ammo accounting

In Millennium’s End you play an operative (read: mercenary) working for Black Eagle Security & Investigations Corporation. It’s basically Blackwater

Step 1: The Concept

The first thing to do is to is to come up with a general concept for our character. Do we want to be a two-bit gumshoe? A hardened ex-SEALs member? A martial artist a-la Steven Segal? Someone else?

Our guy is going to be an ex-DEA agent turned Black Eagle operative because, why not? We’ll be this guy:

There is lots and lots more “art” just like this in the book. More on that later

Step 2: How much cash you got?

This will become very important later on for skills…

Roll 3d10 x $1000 + $5000 for starting cash.

quote:

Our dude rolled 7, 3 and 3 for a total of $18000 in his pocket

Step 3: The Attributes

There are 10 attributes in Millennium’s End. They are:

Intelligence: Academic smarts.
Sensibility: Your common sense
Agility: Reflexes, balance, etc.
Coordination: Hand-eye coordination, technical aptitude.
Constitution: Health.
Strength: Muscles.
Personality: 1st impressions, social.
Appearance: Prettyness.
Bravado: Frontin’
Willpower: Self-control, rationality.

To determine attributes we get to distribute 25 attribute points to the base attributes (in the table below). We must assign at least 1 attribute point and no more than 4. Each point is a 1d10x2 roll to add to the base attribute.

The base attributes table

quote:

Since our dude’s going to be an Ex-DEA agent, let’s assign points like this, I guess:

INT: 4 pts rolled 9, 5, 7 and 2 for a total of 20+46=66

SEN: 3 pts rolled 8, 2 and 5 for a total of 20+30=50

AGI: 2 pts rolled 8 and 7 for a total of 15+30=45

COO: 2 pts rolled 10 and 4 for a total of 20+28=48

CON: 3 pts rolled 9, 8 and 4 for a total of 20+42=62

STR: 2 pts rolled 5 and 1 for a total of 20+12=32

PER: 2 pts rolled 10 and 1 for a total of 20+22=42

APP: 1 pt rolled 8 for a total of 20+16=36

BRA: 3 pts rolled 8, 4 and 4 for a total of 25+32=57

WIL: 3 pts rolled 7, 1 and 5 for a total of 20+26=46

Step 4: Secondary Attributes

Using the values of our primary attributes we’d then figure out what our secondary attributes are using this table:

quote:

Out guy’s secondary attributes are:

Perception: 38
Base Speed: 14
Endurance: 12
Recovery: 10
Damage Rating: 4
Step 5: Skill Points

We now have to define what our talent bases are. This is the base value for each group (Social, Academic, Physical, etc.) of skills. This is done using this table:

quote:

Our ex-DEA agent has the following skill bases:

Academic: 6
Creative: 5
Dom./Tech: 5
Medical: 6
Natural: 5
Physical: 4
Reflexive: 5
Scientific: 7
Social: 5

We then have to define how many skill points we have to spend. To do this we have to multiply the number of years of education post high-school** by INTx2 and add that total to age of the character x 15 and add 300 to that.. The game says the average is 900 points but since you choose your age..?

**To know how many years of education you spend $2500 per year of education you want to have post high-school

quote:

I’m just going to go ahead and spend as much as I can on education since it directly means more skill points. We had $18000 meaning we ca afford up to 7 years of education. We’re also going to go ahead and say our guy is 39 since, why not?** This gives us a total skill point pool of 7x(INTx2)+(39x15)+300 = 1809 skill points

This is a ridiculous system…

** For every year over the age of 30 we need to subtract 1 point from both AGI and CON. Our new totals are 36 and 53 respectively.

Step 6: Choosing Skills

The skill list

Skills are % based from 1-100. Subskills may not exceed half the value of parent skills and skills costs as follows:

1-25 = 1 point
26-40 = 2 points
41-55 = 3 points
You can’t raise a skill above 55 at chargen.

Now, we could buy skills piecemeal but gently caress that noise. We can also buy skill packages.

Skill packages look like this:

And this:

And also this:

Note that according to the game every single person in the 1st world knows how to: drive, swim, shoot a gun, be a mechanic and first aid…

quote:

I won’t spend all 1809 points our guy has but he’d likely buy packages like Advanced Education, Black Eagle Entry Training Course and Investigations Training (which contains things like Law and Police Science

Normally we’d now buy equipment and start play. One thing of note about this system is combat. Much like Dagon’s Aces & Eights it uses transparent plastic overlays to determine hit location. For example:

quote:

Let’s say our guy is trying to shoot a bad guy holding a hostage at point blank range. Well, then you’d whip out the proper silhouette, like so:

And then you’d overlay this point blank shooty wheel. Pin the middle to the hit location you’re aiming for and then spin the wheel to randomize things a bit

The amount by which you miss is where you end up hitting. So if we’d miss by 19, you’d hit where the 19 is on the wheel. They have one of those wheels for each range increment and a bunch of silhouettes as well (more were sold separately I think)

~~**ArT SeCTioN**~~

As I said there’s a lot of incredible art in this book. Gems such as:

Or:

And:

As well as:

Even:

And finally:

~Fin~

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Let's gently caress Up GURPS 4th Edition

Okay so last time we made an easy character. She was humanoid, at least. This time, let's get a little ridiculous.

Last time we made a bird-lady. This time, we're making a bird. Not like, a bird person, or an anthro bird, or whatever. An actual bird. Specifically, this bird:

Okay good.

So, we want this to be a little crazier, so we're gonna start with 200 points instead of 150. This is a powerful bird.

Let's start with our stats.

Stats

Like before, we start with everything at 10, like so:

code:
IQ - 10
DX - 10
ST - 10
HT - 10
Now here's where we game the system a little bit. Our bird is just a plain bird, with a plain bird mind. According to GURPS, we're not sapient, but we are sentient. We can learn, but we cannot use technology or language. This sets our IQ down to 5. Because IQ costs 20 points each, we just scored ourselves a cool 100 point bonus. Sweet.

Now let's immediately spend those points on our stats. Now we have:

code:
IQ -  5
DX - 13
ST -  6
HT - 15
And just like that, we spent 70 points on our stats. We're a quick bird with lots of endurance. Now, let's move on to our substats: Damage, Will, Perception, Hit Points, Fatigue Points, Basic Speed, and Basic Move. I'm skipping Basic Lift because we're a loving bird.

Damage is 1d-4 for thrust, and 1d-3 for swing. We're not a strong bird.

Will is equal to our IQ, so it's only 5. But we're gonna beef that up a bit. We're a determined bird, and we're spending 25 points on Will, bringing it up to 10.

Perception is equal to our IQ as well, and we're not gonna boost it at all. We're a bird. We're distractable.

HP is equal to our ST, so we have 5. Fragile. It's only 2 points each, so we'll beef it up to 15, costing 20 points.

FP is equal to our HT, so we have 15. For reasons that'll become apparent later, I'm also boosting this by 10, giving us 25. At 3 points each, that's 30 points down.

Basic Speed is our HT plus our DX, then divided by 4. So 28/4, or 7.00. That's really good, actually. Nice round number.

And finally, our Basic Move is our Speed minus the decimal. Luckily, it's just 7.

So, our final stats are:

code:
IQ -  5		Damage - 1d-4 (thrust) 1d-3 (swing)
DX - 13		Will - 10
ST -  6		Perc -  5
HT - 15		Speed - 7.00
HP - 15		Move -  7
FP - 25		
Our point total now is 155. Still plenty to mess around with!

Now, onto:

Advantages/Disadvantages

Like last time, this will give us some stuff to play around with personality and setting-wise. So, let's see what we got.

Beak - 0 points - Forgive me for taking this for free but last time it was a pain in the rear end because it cost 1 point and everything else was done in multiples of five and we're a bird okay get off my back. Like before, it gives us an attack that does thrust-1 damage.

Talons - 5 points - Our little feets are sharp. This turns any damage we do by kicking into cutting or impaling damage, which gives a bit of a bonus. 150 points remaining.

Flight - 40 points - Going full hog this time. We can glide, hover, whatever. The book says our default Move in flight is our Basic Move times 2. So now we can fly 14 tiles per turn instead of 7. 110 points remaining.

Enhanced Move - 20 points - We can fly, and we can fly QUICK. This doubles our move in one area. In our case, air. Now instead of being able to move 14 tiles a turn, we can move 28. 90 points remaining.

Magery - 55 points - WATCH OUT THIS BIRD KNOWS FUCKIN MAGIC. Okay so this is how this works. Magery comes in levels. Magery 0 costs 5 points, which enables us to use magic at all, and each level beyond that costs 10 more. So in this case, we have Magery 5. What this does is it gives us a bonus to any magic roll we do equal to our magery level. Since we have a low IQ, we really need the extra help if we want to cast any spells, and magery levels are a lot cheaper than IQ points. Even with a +5, it's gonna be a bit tough, though. This is also why we needed a lot of FP. 35 points remaining.

Terror - 30 points - I'm taking this from another sourcebook, GURPS: Dragons. Because I can. We strike others with an irrational, supernatural fear, and anyone who lays eyes on us will have to roll a fright check, or else they'll flip the gently caress out. 5 points remaining.

And now for our disadvantages:

Bestial - -15 points - We're a bird, not a people. 20 points remaining.

Cannot Speak - -15 points - Tweet. 35 points remaining.

Severe Delusion - -15 points - WE, A BIRD, IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CREATURE IN EXISTENCE. EVERYTHING MUST BECOME BIRD OR BECOME DESTROY. 50 points remaining.

Intolerant - -10 points - IF YOU ARE NOT BIRD PLEASE LEAVE. 60 points remaining.

Megalomania - -10 points - RULER OF BIRD. 70 points remaining.

Obsession - -10 points - I wasn't planning on taking this one since it's sorta summed up in our delusion, but the book says to take both, so I am. 80 points remaning.

Skills

Alright, we got all that sorted out. We probably won't have many skills, since we're not really capable of doing much, but let's see.

code:
Aerobatics - Hard - 8 points - DX+1
Flight - Average - 4 points - HT+1
Intimidation - Average - 4 points - Will+1
Looks good to me. And with that, we have 64 points left. Now onto the fun bit.

Magic

Now I'm delving into another sourcebook here. GURPS: Magic. It's not part of the basic set, but it might as well be if you're doing anything with magic. The main character book has some magic stuff, but the real fun stuff is in here.

The way magic works is like any other skill. Specifically, all spells are Hard or Very Hard IQ skills. So we go back to that chart from before:

And now we know how many points we need to dump into a skill for it to work out for us. Since we only have an IQ of 5, all the points we dumped in Magery really help us out here. So, let's flesh out our bird a bit.

We have the delusion that we are the most beautiful creature in the universe. Everything that is not Bird must become Bird. We can turn people, or anything really, into birds, but only for a short time, as long as we have the FP to maintain it. The way shapeshifting works in GURPS is that every hour in-universe, the shapeshiftee must roll against their IQ. If they fail, their IQ is reduced by a point. If their IQ drops below 6, they're stuck in that form forever. This way, our bird can change people into birds, and, with enough time, make them become bird. If they refuse, then they clearly must be destroyed. Both of these outcomes are equally preferable, as both of them result in a net beauty increase in the universe. Great.

So, these are the spells we have. We have 64 points to spend on them. A lot of these spells require prerequisites, but a lot of them seem arbitrary, and in most cases it's best to ignore them unless they're SUPER high level spells.

code:
Animal Control - Hard - 8 points - IQ+5+1
Shapeshift Others - Very Hard - 32 points - IQ+5+6
Haste - Hard - 8 points - IQ+5+1
Might - Hard - 8 points - IQ+5+1
Boost Strength - 8 points - IQ+5+1
And there we go, there's our magic. For clarity, lemme go over a few of them. Haste increases our Speed and Basic Move, in case we needed to move even FASTER. To be honest, we mostly want this for the bonus we get on our Dodge rolls. We're a fragile bird, we don't want to get hit much. Might is similar, it boosts our ST for a short time so we can actually do some damage. Boost Strength does the same, but it lasts for one roll only. It stacks with Might, so we can use it if we REALLY want to do some damage. At least, as much as a bird can do.

Equipment

Gonna level with you, not much we can do here. If this character were ever used in a campaign (that'd be loving awesome) I suppose other people in the party would have to get poo poo like custom talon fittings or something if we ever wanted to do more than just default damage.

Final Notes

Okay, we got pretty much everything set. Our name is Bird. We were born in a MYSTERIOUS ENCHANTED WOOD, and we like to think we basically rule the place. Because we are best, most beautful creature around. Our final stats are:

code:
IQ -  5		Damage - 1d-5 (beak, thrust-1, piercing) 
DX - 13		         1d-3 (talons, swing, cutting)
ST -  6		Will - 10
HT - 15		Perc -  5
HP - 15		Speed - 7.00
FP - 25		Move -  7	

Beak
Talons
Flight
Enhanced Move
Magery
Terror	

Bestial
Cannot Speak
Intolerant
Megalomania
Obsession

Aerobatics
Flight
Intimidation

Animal Control
Shapeshift Others
Haste
Might
Boost Strength
That was fun.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 25, 2014

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Let's gently caress Up GURPS 4th Edition

This is a good bird. I'd play this bird. Birds.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Sign me up for Bird.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Another day another space game...

This time it's Space Opera, a 1980 vintage game from Fantasy Games Unlimited or FGU. I have a love/hate relationship with FGU games. On the one hand they were interesting concepts, detailed, and full of cool maps and charts as pack ins in their cardboard boxes. On the other, they were insanely complex and riddled with typos and printing errors.

Space Opera is one of the great examples of all of these factors. It tried to do what Traveller did, make a science fiction game that could handle Star Trek as easily as Star Wars...at the same time. It did. Only problem the baseline for 'easy' was somewhere up where Galactus could walk under the bar without stooping.

It is a very very bad game. Contrarily, it was the system that taught me that even if the rules are poo poo, a good GM and good players can save anything.

The Creation order for this one is:
    [1]Select Character Class
    [2]Determine Personal Characteristics (Stats)
    [3]Determine Planet of Birth
    [4]Select Character Race
    [5]Determine Secondary Characteristics
    [6]Determine Character Career Experience
    [7]Select and Improve Skills

As with Universe this looks simple enough...you have no loving idea.

Select Character Class
This is one feature I do like. You are guaranteed to have the stats to make you viable for your character idea. How? By making the choice of the class affect the stats you receive. I am pretty down with this. Sadly it is one of the few good ideas...
The available classes are Armsman (Soldier), Tech, Scientist: Research, Scientist: Medical, Scientist: Engineering, Astronaut. I am trying to make a bird bard here, so I'm going to go with Scientist: Research. The stat bonus from this are+35 to Intelligence, Intuition, GTA (General Technical Aptitude). NOTE: this is a lump sum which can be distributed among the listed stats. Not a bonus per stat. :smith: Like Universe this is a game where you roll dice, add a modifier, and consult a table for your final stat score. Good thing? No multipliers. Bad thing? 14 stats...
Physique, Strength, Constitution, Agility, Dexterity, Empathy, Intelligence, Psionics, Intuition, Bravery, Leadership, GTA, MechA, ElecA (A = Aptitude)

Determine Personal Characteristics (Stats)
Okay let's roll them dice...50, 32, 61, 57, 21, 98, 73, 44, 01 (This is amazingly lucky and I'll explain why later), 84, 58, 47, 81, 33. Now we can arrange them in any order we like at least so arranged plus bonus points distributed gives me this...
Physique 21, Strength 32, Constitution 47, Agility 58, Dexterity 61, Empathy 98, Intelligence 84(+12=96), Psionics 01, Intuition 81(+15=96), Bravery 21, Leadership 72, GTA 44(+8=52), MechA 47, ElecA 33

Consulting the chart gives us: Physique 11, Strength 12, Constitution 13, Agility 13, Dexterity 13, Empathy 18, Intelligence 18, Psionics 1, Intuition 16, Bravery 9, Leadership 15, GTA 13, MechA 11, ElecA 9

Determine Planet of Birth
Dice rolling time! First up is Planetary Gravity Field I roll a 17+ on a d20 and that is...

"Space Opera' posted:

17-18 PC is a native of a planet with a gravity field of 1.2 to 1.4 G and is adapted to high gravity conditions. He has Physique -2 in size, but his body mass will be 110% of the normal value for his height. High gravity encourages heavier bone Structure and muscle development. Strength, Constitution, and Agility will be a minimum 11. There is a 100% chance that one of these three characteristics will be +1 (player choice) or a 50% chance that any two will be +1. Strength and Stamina would naturally be improved under such arduous conditions. Agility would also be a factor for 'natural selection', in that clumsy types would likely suffer from a fatal accident sooner or later, while coordinated persons would be better able to react quickly in a surface acceleration field significantly above the norm.
Physique is reduced by 2 to a 9. Well my Strength, Constitution and Agility are all 11 or higher already and I have a +1 to one of those stats guaranteed or a 50% chance to have two at +1. I'll take the guaranteed add in Constitution Monty!

Next is atmosphere. D20 roll is a 16

"Space Opera' posted:

16-17 Moderately high pressure atmosphere: The PC lives in an atmosphere up to 2000mm pressure. His oxygen tolerance is 75mm to 550mm IPP in the lungs. Low pressure atmospheres are not particularly comfortable, and fatigue may set in quickly in low oxygen environments.

and finally the fun one, Planetary Climate. This one is a d100 no less...

"Space Opera' posted:

96 Planetary Type 9: Terran Planet with Extreme Axial Tilt at Inner Edge of Stellar Ecosphere, with conditions as described in section 15.5. Anyone descended from colonists insane enough to choose to settle on such a planet probably has an 'unusual' psychological and cultural profile. The savage Seasonality produces such harsh conditions that any PC who is adapted to the planet will have +1 Constitution, with 75% chance of an additional +1, and a minimum Constitution score of 14. He will also enjoy a +2 on Constitution CRs involving desert survival, arctic cold, and related factors. Survival skills will be superbly turned to dealing with a variety of climatic conditions, with emergency techniques (taking shelter, finding water, reading the violently changing weather, etc,) honed to a fine edge; Unlike other Inner Ecosphere dwellers, the PC will be as adapted to frigid conditions as he is to heat, and can literally withstand the entire range of survivable temperature in which his racial type may live without undue hardship.

...:gonk:

Okay then +1 to Constitution...again. Constitution of 15. Roll for the extra plus and fail.

Select Character Race
Easy. The avians are the only choice here.

"Space Opera' posted:

The Avians are descended from ground-dwelling birds. (Even in low gravity conditions, flyers do not attain sizes sufficient to make racial dominance on the planet a likely prospect.) A PC will qualify for Avian status upon choice. No characteristics modifiers or requirements need be considered.
Stellar Primary: Types F, G, K
Home Planet: Planetary Types I, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9, with gravity 0.6 to 1.25 G.
Radiation Tolerance: Human tolerances apply.
Atmosphere: Human norms apply.
Appearance: Avians are bipedal, with wings evolved into 'arms' with grasping appendages that function efficiently as 'hands'. Avian legs are strong and adapted to running at high speed. Feet typically possess talons suited for kicking and striking at enemies. The head has all of the characteristic avian shape of lesser species, often resembling the features of hawks and eagles, with keen eyes and sharp beak. The head and body are covered with feathers of various hues, males tending to be more decorative than females. The feathers themselves tend toward a downy, almost fur-like appearance and texture. Avian musculature is strong, but body weight is relatively lower than for other species of similar size because most Avians retain hollow bones. Speeds are definitely faster than for most races.
Vision: Avians enjoy excellent binocular vision, as do all preceding races, but rarely see in colour. Night vision is somewhat poorer than that of most humans if the Avian race is adapted to brilliant and medium illumination conditions, but species from dim (Type K) star systems will have excellent night vision. Avians are sensitive to movements, like Felines, and their attention is quickly caught by anyone or anything moving stealthily.
Hearing: Avian hearing tends to be quite good, but depending on the species, a range from Terran human norms to exceedingly acute levels may occur.
Smell: Avian olfactory senses are very poor, racial dependence being On vision.
General Comments: Avians are carnivorous and no known sentient species are plant eaters. Metabolisms are invariably iron-based, although copper-based metabolisms are possible. Most Avians of advanced races are long-lived, often attain 150 years of age, while 'primitives' will also reach respectable levels of 75 to 100 years.
Avians are worshippers of the 'Egg', as perhaps befits their species, and powerful religious as well as patriotic connotations are attached to their native planets, which symbolise the Cosmic Egg of Life. They also have very strange family ties and mate for life. Children, being fixated on their parents by instinctive birth reflexes, are utterly loyal to their elders. Culturally, order of precedence is exceedingly important, and the 'pecking order' of birds is clearly reflected in their according privilege to those who succeed to high rank.

Determine Secondary Characteristics
Let's get our height and weight...
My Physique of 9 on the Humans, Humanoids, Transhumans Canines, and Avians Size Tablesays that the base height of a male avian is 175cm and that I weigh 55kg. However my High-G origins give me a 110% mass and my being an avian means I'm 5% lighter. So that means I'm 57.47kg.

Carrying Capacity is next...

"Space Opera' posted:

Carrying Capacity (CC) is determined by adding a character’s Physique, Strength, and Constitution scores and dividing by 3. The result is then multiplied times his body mass/weight times his racial CC Factor.
Physique 9 + Strength 11 + Constitution 15 = 35 / 3 = 11.67 (the CC Factor is taken out to 2 significant digits as well). 11.67 x 57.47kg x CC Factor of .05 for Avians = 32.52kg

"Space Opera' posted:

pre:
Category 		Amount 		Carried Effect
Light Load 		1/7 CC		None
Moderate Load		1/4 CC		Double fatigue cost for run, climb, or hand-to-hand combat; -1 to initiative determinations.
Heavy Load		1/3 CC		Double fatigue cost for trot; triple for run, climb, crawl, or hand-to-hand combat;
					-3 to initiative;-l to Dexterity CRs(CR = Check Roll bye the bye).
Full Load		1/2 CC		As above, but Cut hand-to-hand combat by 1/4.
Partly Encumbered	2/3 CC		As above, but Cut all movement end hand-to-hand combat by 1/2; -10 from initiative;
					 -5 from Dexterity CRs.
Fully Encumbered	4/5 CC		Triple all fatigue costs; Cut movement and hand-to-hand combat by 1/2; -15 from 
					initiative; -8 from Dexterity CRs.

Damage Factors! (a/k/a Hit points...)

"Space Opera' posted:

Damage factors or DF represents a PC’s ability to withstand physical injury. Initially, the DF is computed by adding Physique, Strength, Constitution, and PC body mass, then dividing that sum by 10. This result is then multiplied by the racial factor.
35 from stats + 57.47 = 92.47 / 10 = 9.247 x Avian racial factor of 2.5 = 23 DF

Shock Resistance rating is equal to Constitution so it's 15 at least that's easy. It's used to determine poison resistance, CPR success and a bunch of other life-threatening checks.

Next is Stamina Factor...

"Space Opera' posted:

The Stamina Factor or SF represents the PC’s energy levels and has a significant effect on his performance under stress and severe physical activity, The Stamina Factor is found by adding the Strength and Constitution scores of the PC, then multiplying the sum by the racial factor. Gravity will modify the SF. If a PC is working on a planet with a gravity field of more than 0.2G higher than the gravity field he is used to, he will require 1 week’s acclimatisation per 0.2G higher, or part thereof. In the meantime, his SF is reduced by 5% per 0.2G the gravity is higher than his natural gravity field. Note: 'natural' refers to the gravity in which he normally works, not necessarily the gravity of his home planet.
Yay. 24 x 2.75 = 66 SF on a 1G world.

Okay that's the Base statistics done. Next time skills!

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 25, 2014

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Burning Wheel

Unlike Call of Cthulhu, Burning Wheel's character creation system requires you to plan out ahead of time what kind of character you'd like to make, and is pretty hard to do randomly. Unfortunately, there are no bird races, but we can take the best of our options and make an Elf Bard. Most of Burning Wheel's character creation is done through what it calls "lifepaths". Each lifepath consists of a path name (usually of the career you pursued during that segment of your life), how long that lifepath took, how much resources it gives you at start, if it has a stat bonus, possible lifepath groups you can take afterwards, and a whole lot of skill, trait, and requirements stuff we'll get into later.

First things first, we have to choose how many lifepaths our character will have. Normally, the DM does this, but I'll just set it at 5 - this will give us a relatively experienced character. The first lifepath that everyone must choose is their birth path - their childhood. Elves have 4 Settings (Wilderlands, Citadel, Etharch, Protector) - groups of lifepaths that flow into eachother. Each has a birth path, and we have to choose one of them to begin. I'll take the Wilderlands' Born Wilder Elf:

pre:
Born Wilder Elf   20 yrs   Res 5   Stat: -   Leads: Citadel
Skills: 4 pts General, 2 pts: Sing, Elven Script
Traits: Elven Common traits plus 1 pt: -
Let's go over what all this means. The Born Wilder Elf lifepath will add 20 years to our total age when we take it (age is how we determine stats after all lifepaths are chosen). It gives us 5 Resources, which we'll use later to buy our equipment and possessions. It doesn't give us any stats, and we can take any lifepath in the Citadel setting as the lifepath after this one (or a Wilderlands path - you can always stay in the same setting). This lifepath gives us 4 General Skill Points, 2 Lifepath Skill Points, and both Sing and Elven Script as Lifepath Skills. We also get all the Elven Common traits for free, and 1 trait point that can be spend on anything. After all lifepaths and stats are determined, we'll be able to spend our skill and trait points, with some restrictions.

Once we've noted all this information, we can move on to our second lifepath. Looking at Bards (which are in the Citadel lifepath), we'll need to take Song Singer, which we just so happen to have in the Wilderness setting.

pre:
Song Singer   45 yrs   Res 10   Stat: +1 M   Leads: Citadel, Protector
Skills: 6 pts: Song of Songs*, Song of Soothing, Lament of the Westering Sun*, Oratory
Traits: 1 pt: Vocal
As before, we get more character stuff, with some things we didn't last time: +1 M means that we have one additional Mental stat point to spend when we allocate stats, and we gain a Lifepath Trait of Vocal. The skills marked with an asterisk are special skills called Elf Spell Songs, which are the Elves' version of magic spells. We'll get to them when we allocate skill points.

Before we take Bard, we have to switch settings. This is called a lead, and adds 1 year to the character's total age.

pre:
Wilderlands -> Citadel   1 yr
We can then pick up Bard, having fulfilled its requisite.

pre:
Bard   65 yrs   Res 20   Stat: +1 M/P   Leads: Wilderlands, Protector
Skills: 11 pts: Song of Merriment*, Lament of Mourning*, Verse of Friendship*, Tract of Enmity*, Oratory, Conspicuous, Lyre, Flute
Traits: 1 pt: -
Requires: Song Singer
(The +1 M/P means that we can choose to add the extra point to either Mental or Physical stats.)

Well, we've become a bard, but we have two more lifepaths to spend. You know what's cooler than a Bard?

pre:
Citadel -> Protector   1 yr
pre:
Soother   30 yrs   Res 10   Stat: +1 M   Leads: Wilderlands, Citadel
Skills: 6 pts: Lyric of Healing*, Song of Soothing, Doom of Strength*, Foraging
Traits: 1 pt: -
pre:
Sword Singer   30 yrs   Res 10   Stat: +1 P   Leads: Any
Skills: 10 pts: Sword, Armor, Shield, Knives, Brawling, Song of the Sword
Traits: 1 pt: Sword of the White Towers
Requires: Second, Soldier Protector, Soother, Spouse or Spearbearer
A Sword Bard.

Adding up all the lifepath ages, we are a 192 year old Elf. Consulting the Elf stat chart, we see that Elves of age 161-225 have 10 Mental points and 17 Physical points to spend. With the bonuses from lifepaths, that's 13 Mental points (using the 1 point from Bard) and 18 Physical points. We need to distribute these points among our stats. There are two Mental stats (Perception and Will) and four Physical stats (Agility, Speed, Power, Forte). These stats will determine some other traits and the base values of our skills. All stats start at B0, and can be advanced 1 for 1 for a point, but no stat can go above 6 at character creation. Additionally, 5 points can be spent to upgrade the shade of a stat by 1 (from B to G, or G to W). (To briefly explain what these letters and numbers mean, the number in a stat/skill/other check is called the exponent, and indicates how many d6s are rolled when making the check; the letter represents the shade of the value (Black, Grey, and White), which determines the target number for the roll (Black is 4+, Grey is 3+, and White is 2+). A check gets a number of successes equal to the number of dice that rolled equal to or over the shade value.) We have plenty of Mental points to distribute, and the idea of having a grey shade stat is appealing to me (all derived skills will share the shade), so I spend 5 points to upgrade Will from black to grey. I distribute the remaining 8 points equally, so that Perception is B4 and Will is G4. Physical points are going to be stretched a little more thin, so our Elf won't be able to have a grey shade stat at start. Agility is nice for an elf (and can be used in combat), so I put a B6 in there, and give the rest Speed B5, Power B4, and Forte B3.

Next Time: More Point Distribution

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I'd like to take a little break from going through Monsterhearts' mechanics and instead demonstrate how character creation works in the game. However, since Monsterhearts is largely about the social dynamics of the main characters, just creating one character kind of misses the point and fails to demonstrate the way in which the game interweaves the group together socially. As such, instead of just making one character, I'll be making a trio of characters.

To this end, I'd like some input on what kinds of characters you'd like to see. I'm going to list the Skins (i.e. character archetypes) and their main social hangups, and based on those I'd like three characters to make a group out of. Each should be of a different skin and should also have a short concept, one sentence long at most.

Chosen - Basically Buffy. They kill monsters. Their main hangup is that they strive to be independent and prove that they don't rely on anybody, often to a (self-)destructive degree.
Fae - Fairies of old world legend. In the context of Monsterhearts they are outsiders who don't quite understand social norms. Also, promises are a big thing to them. Breaking a promise made to a Fae is, generally, a bad idea.
Ghost - Dead people. Somehow they retain enough of their mortal selves to still work in the high school setting, but people just generally tend to ignore them and look right through them. Their teenage problems are loneliness, isolation and unresolved trauma.
Ghoul - Hungry dead people. Each Ghoul has an unnaturally strong hunger that they must sate. While the most traditional form of hunger is hunger for living flesh, Ghouls can also hunger for something more abstract, like fear or chaos. Basically disturbed sociopaths, but a Ghoul can also have a softer edge.
Infernal - Teenagers who hear the voice of Satan in their head and make Faustian bargains with said voice. This being a game about teenagers, these bargains are cast as a metaphor for addiction. When an Infernal is riding high on the powers given to them by their dark patron, they are extremely strong, but when their demonic sugar daddy cuts their supply they will find themselves with the worst case of cold turkey, which can only be resolved by doing their dark master's dirty work.
Mortal - Bella. The Mortal is all about unrequited love and codependency. They start the game having to choose one of the other characters as their true love and get benefits when working towards gaining their love's attention. However, the Mortal is also one of the most destructive of the Skins, not in terms of being physically threatening but in terms of causing lots of turmoil for the entire group. And when said turmoil inevitably happens, the Mortal will be in the middle of it all crying because no one understands them.
Queen - On the mundane side, the Queen is pretty much Cordelia from Buffy: the most popular kid in school with lots of clout and a gang of goons to do their dirty work for them. On the less mundane side, the Queen can be the leader of a dark cult, the leader of an alien hive mind, or even the source of an infectious disease that grants them control over all those who contract it.
Vampire - Yeah, you should know this one already. Vampires in Monsterhearts are pretty much socially focused. They are all about playing people: drawing them close only to play with their feelings. They are also extremely withholding. You know how Edward was always telling Bella that they can't do it because he might lose control? Yeah, the Vampire has a move that basically represents that.
Werewolf - Also pretty much a given: they turn into wolf-beasts and wreck stuff. They're not necessarily people bitten by other Werewolves, but that's definitely an option. They could even be people raised by wolves, or wolves who have somehow gained the ability to turn into humans. Socially speaking, they're fiercely loyal, but also fiercely protective, which at worst can turn into wanting to subjugate those they hold dear.
Witch - Take a bit of the Craft and mix in some Carrie. The Witch uses sympathetic magic to play with the lives of those who slight them. They are basically book nerds given a vengeful streak: slight a Witch and they'll go full Carrie on you, hexing everyone and everything that gets between them and their vengeance.

So, once I have three concepts I'll start going through the motions of making these characters and seeing what kind of bunch of misfits we end up with.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Chosen, trying to balance protecting the humans from the monsters and the monsters from the humans. Like a ranger, or a shaman. Might be a bully or anti-bully.

I need to create some Twilight 2000 characters.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Ratpick posted:

I'd like to take a little break from going through Monsterhearts' mechanics and instead demonstrate how character creation works in the game. However, since Monsterhearts is largely about the social dynamics of the main characters, just creating one character kind of misses the point and fails to demonstrate the way in which the game interweaves the group together socially. As such, instead of just making one character, I'll be making a trio of characters.

To this end, I'd like some input on what kinds of characters you'd like to see. I'm going to list the Skins (i.e. character archetypes) and their main social hangups, and based on those I'd like three characters to make a group out of. Each should be of a different skin and should also have a short concept, one sentence long at most.

Whatever concept you go with, you have to include a mortal.

An infernal sold to demons by his parents, desperate for power on his own terms.

Just to play with the expected character of the skin, a queen gangbanger.

A ghoul whose existence is a byproduct of the devil's deal the infernal's parents made.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ars Magica: Wait, I Get Points For That?

So, last time we selected our Hermetic Flaws. Now let's look at Story Flaws, since we only get the one. Major Story flaws tend to be unmitigated bad things, while Minor Story flaws tend to actually be beneficial most of the time, just...also there for the GM to go 'and now it is story hook time.'

• Black Sheep: Major. You are from a prestigious family, but have estranged yourself somehow. They want nothing to do with you unless they want to punish or use you. Those who resent your family's power will take it out on you, since it's safe to do so. You begin the game with a bad Reputation of your choice among those who respect your family, at level 2.
  • Curse of Venus: Major. People you hate keep falling in love with you and won't be dissuaded. You tend to fall in love with inappropriate people or in inappropriate circumstances. The people you fall in love with almost invariably find you shallow and vain.
  • Dark Secret: Major. You are haunted by some secret that that will lead to shame, rejection or even revenge if discovered. Hints about the secret come up a lot, and there may be those who know it that could betray you. You probably avoid certain places, dislike certain people, or fear certain things.
  • Dependent: Major. You feel responsible for someone and must help them if they get in trouble. That person is always a relatively weak NPC. If you can no longer help this person, pick a new Story flaw - maybe take their kid as a new Dependent, or take their killers as Enemies.
  • Diabolic Past: Major. You associated with diabolists and, though you escaped their evils, you are still haunted by your upbringing. Your former associates still take an interest in you, much to your chagrin. You can take the Infernal Lore ability at chargen even if you normally couldn't.
  • Difficult Underlings: Major. You can only take this, obviously, if you have underlings. No matter who you hire or how carefully you vet them, they always cause problems for you. The nature of the problems may change but you're always drawn into dealing with them. Other people don't have nearly as much trouble with those underlings as you do, of course. It's something about you.
  • Enemies: Major. Someone is making trouble for you. The enemy must be powerful enough to endanger you, and so you should work with the group and GM to figure out how they can do so.
  • Favors: Major. You owe someone - maybe many people - a great boon. This can be called on at any time, and the consequences of ignoring it are entirely up to the GM.
  • Feud: Major. Your family is involved in a feud. The opposing group is roughly of equal strength to your family and its allies. You're liable to be ambushed by the feuding group, and you're expected to help fight them, too.
  • Fury: Major. You have a very violent temper. You pick one specific event that really sets you off - being insulted, getting hurt or hearing someone disparage the Order of Hermes, say. You then have to roll 9 or higher on a stress roll - no bonus to the roll, just 9 or higher - to avoid going into a rage. If you fail, you can roll every round to try and calm down until you manage it. On a botch, you're going to try kill everyone around you. While enraged, you get +3 to damage but -1 to literally every other roll and score. I would suggest not taking this one.
  • Indiscreet: Major. You can't keep a secret, at all. Unless you roll 9 or higher on an Intelligence check, you must tell everything to the first interested party you meet in an effort to be helpful or demonstrate your connections and knowledge. If you botch, you will need to be physically restrained from answering any questions put to you for the rest of the encounter.
  • Mistaken Identity: Major. Someone who looks exactly like you is out there. You will probably never meet them directly, but they are responsible for a variety of violent, illegal, obscene or embarrassing acts. You often have to explain your identity and sometimes deal with the consequences for their actions.
  • Monastic Vows: Major. You have taken vows of poverty, chastity and obedience to a religious superior. This also covers the vows for mendicant friars, even though strictly speaking they are neither monks nor nuns.
  • Oath of Fealty: Major. You have sworn an oath of loyalty and support to someone outside the covenant, and sometimes they call on you to uphold that vow. Magi are forbidden to take oaths of fealty by the Code, but that doesn't stop all of them.
  • Plagued by Supernatural Entity: Major. Some supernatural being regularly interferes with your life. It may have your best interests at heart, but the result is always trouble for you. A demon may be trying to corrupt you or an angel trying to save you or a faerie playing games with you or even a ghost trying to use you to accomplish its goals.
  • Supernatural Nuisance: Major. Some kind of supernatural entities make your life annoying and difficult in minor ways when you're around them. They have no longterm plans, unlike the above - they just bother you. A ghost that haunts you purposelessly, say, or some general grudge against you among the fae.
  • Tormenting Master: Major. Your master doesn't feel you properly passed your Gauntlet. They will periodically stop by to cause trouble, usually via politics and indirect action. Only magi can take this, obviously, though characters in similar situations could take a similar flaw.
  • True Love (NPC): Major or Minor. You have found the one person you love above all others and forged an unbreakable bond with them. True Love is never one-sided. Whenever you are suffering, in danger or sad, the thought of them gives you strength to carry on. They might help you in dire need, but more often you'll need to help them. If any magic keeps them from you, your love can probably break it. No magic can make you hate or betray your love, ever. Your True Love must be an NPC - for a PC, this is Virtue, not a Flaw. You can take it as True Friend to cover nonromantic relationships of this strength, too. If the NPC is significantly weaker than you and not very helpful, it's a Major flaw. If the NPC is as competent or more competent than you, overall, it's a Minor flaw. (The trouble caused by the latter is usually the True Love involving you in their plans rather than needing rescuing, though that also happens sometimes.)
  • Animal Companion: Minor. You have a loyal and smart but mundane animal that hangs around you. It can obey simple commands, and the two of you are extremely close. If it died, you would be very sad.
  • Blackmail: Minor. You have information that some powerful person would prefer be kept hidden. You are paid in silver or service for your silence, and can occasionally ask for favors. Don't push your luck too much, though, or they may decide you're not worth the cost and try to kill you.
  • Close Family Ties: Minor. Your family is very important to you, and they aid and support you whenever they can. They will do you any favor in their power, and will call on friends to help you, too. It works both ways, of course.
  • Faerie Friend: Minor. You've got an ally among the fae. How often they help you is inversely related to their power - a tiny flower faerie will pretty much always be around to help out, while the Puck has other business and will probably only be able to give advice most of the time. Your ally is a sentient person, has its own powers and can speak as it likes. The GM or another player will stand in for it. Faerie companions can cause trouble for you with their mischief or malice towards others, though! You can take Faerie Lore at chargen, even if you normally couldn't.
  • Heir: Minor. You aren't much now, but you stand to inherit land and maybe money. You don't have to do anything for it - but, well, other people might try to remove you from the succession somehow. When you finally gain your inheritance, your freedoms will be restricted by its responsibilities.
  • Magical Animal Companion: Minor. You have a magical animal friend that's smart enough to obey orders...or to disobey them on its own initiative. The smaller and more innocuous the critter is, the smarter it is. A ferret or crow is as smart as a person, a wolf is very cunning and a horse is just smarter than most horses. The creature has Magic Might of 10 minus its Size. (If its Size is negative, this means it has a higher Might, yes. 0 is 'size of an adult person.')
  • Mentor: Minor. Someone powerful, rich or wise cares about your life and will sometimes give you advice or aid. Sometimes, they'll ask you for favors, instead. They may not like the covenant, but they do like you. The mentor is always an NPC.
  • Visions: Minor. You see images related to emotionally or magically powerful events. These visions can be of the past, future or present, and they're often symbolic and confusing. They usually come at quiet times or at sites that are emotionally or magically potent. They may warn you of danger, or involve you in it. They visions come purely at the GM's discretion and reveal only what the GM wants them to.

Not an easy pick! But...let's see, our man is fairly antisocial and is definitely someone who follows the Wizard Law. So...oh, let's go with Dependent. Malik has a little sister who means the world to him, though she thinks he's a weirdo. He does his best to protect her from danger, which she gets into fairly often.

pre:

Virtues

Flaws
Weak Scholar (-1)
Dependent (-3)

Reputations
Now, Personality Flaws! These tend to have little mechanical effect, but you're expected to roleplay them. You can have two, only one of which can be Major. Most are obvious, but I'll go over anything special. Some can be taken as Major or Minor - Major means you should roleplay it harder.

• Ambitious: Major or Minor.
  • Avaricious: Major or Minor. This is specifically greed for hoarding physical things uselessly.
  • Compassionate: Major or Minor.
  • Driven: Major or Minor. You have a goal you work towards, a big one that could shape your entire life. If you manage to accomplish it, pick a new one immediately.
  • Envious: Major or Minor. You try to ruin the lives of the people you envy, so the book suggests it be for NPCs only to avoid conflict.
  • Generous: Major or Minor.
  • Greedy: Major or Minor. This is more gluttony - love of physical pleasures to excess. (That is, food and drink. Sex is Lecherous.)
  • Hatred: Major or Minor. You hate some specific person or group enough that hurting them dominates your life. They must not be someone you could easily overcome.
  • Lecherous: Major or Minor. You want to have a lot of sex. You may not be any good at seducing people, mind you. Whether you're good at it or not just changes what kind of problems your attempts get you into.
  • Meddler: Major or Minor.
  • Optimistic: Major or Minor.
  • Overconfident: Major or Minor.
  • Pious: Major or Minor.
  • Proud: Major or Minor. This differs for magi and non-magi: Magi don't accept that anyone is superior to them, while normal people will accept social superiors as existing, even though they still think they're better than, say, the king or duke.
  • Wrathful: Major or Minor.
  • Busybody: Minor. You know everything that's going on in your social group (or, if you choose to describe it so, an inferior social group). You pick what group that is at chargen. Also, you love gossip.
  • Carefree: Minor.
  • Compulsion: Minor. You have an urge that causes you problems - drinking, sex, gambling, perfectionism, whatever.
  • Continence: Minor. You are celibate, possibly due to a vow or just a personal choice.
  • Covenant Upbringing: Minor. You were raised in a covenant of the Order that had little outside contact. You find medieval society very odd. You may take Latin and Order of Hermes Lore at chargen, even if you normally couldn't. Your native language can't be Latin but could be a derivative of it unique to your home.
  • Delusion: Minor. You believe something false - perhaps you falsely believe yourself a wizard, or the child of the Pope. (Don't take this. This is just annoying.)
  • Depressed: Minor.
  • Dutybound: Minor. You have a personal code that you follow that forbids certain behavior. You follow this code mostly out of guilt or fear rather than moral standards, and may spend more time justifying yourself than actually following it closely.
  • Faerie Upbringing: Minor. You were raised by faeries! You are at home with them and find mortal society very odd. You may take Faerie Lore at chargen, even if you normally couldn't.
  • Fear: Minor. This is fear of a specific thing that you're likely to encounter fairly often.
  • Higher Purpose: Minor. You have an altruistic, noble goal.
  • Humble: Minor.
  • Judged Unfairly: Minor. People tend to distrust and underestimate you, and no one really takes you seriously or sees you as you want to be seen, except maybe one or two people that you truly treasure.
  • Lost Love: Minor. You had a true love that died, married someone else or went far away.
  • Noncombatant: Minor. You are neither interested in nor good at combat.
  • Obsessed: Minor. Some kind of fixation.
  • Oversensitive: Minor. Some specific thing really bothers you, like disrespect or filth. If you're the violent type, you might start fights over it.
  • Nocturnal: Minor. You get -1 to all rolls between dawn and midday, but have no difficulty staying up late into the night. You get no special benefits in the dark, though.
  • Pessimistic: Minor.
  • Poor Memory: Minor.
  • Prohibition: Minor. You have had a conditional curse laid on you - a geas. You must obey its restrictions or be penalized by it. If you fail to obey them, you are cursed in full force. Work with the group to decide what your curse entails.
  • Reckless: Minor. You get the Personality Trait Reckless +3 and can never take a trait related to patience or care. Whenever bravery checks would be made, you instead use Reckless. If you succeed, you don't even realize the danger and can act immediately without further checks.
  • Reclusive: Minor. This is, the book says, a bad flaw for a PC usually, because it means you don't want to interact with people.
  • Short Attention Span: Minor.
  • Simple-Minded: Minor. Not stupidity - just the ability to only really think about one thing at a time and having difficulty with unexpected changes.
  • Sheltered Upbringing: Minor. You grew up apart from society, knowing only your parents or mentor. You do not understand the world and cannot easily function socially. You may not take Bargain, Charm, Etiquette, Folk Ken, Guile, Intrigue or Leadership at chargen, though you can learn them in play.
  • Soft-Hearted: Minor. You can't bear to witness suffering or to kill. You hate seeing anyone hurt, and you're easily moved by stories and songs.
  • Temperate: Minor. You don't overindulge.
  • Transvestite: Minor. You dress and act as the opposite of your physical sex and expect to be treated as such. This is not a delusion - you know what your physical sex is but choose to live otherwise. Christians and Muslims, should they become aware, will likely shun or mock you or even chase you out, but they're unlikely to notice - you're good at living as you choose to live. However, if you attempt to live as a member of your physical sex, you get -3 to all social rolls because you're not used to it. Thos penalty only goes away when you start living as you usually do again.
  • Vow: Minor. You have sworn to do a difficult thing and won't break your vow if you can at all avoid it. (Say, never raising a weapon, never speaking or always living in poverty.) If you break your vow, you must somehow atone, whether religiously or otherwise coming to terms with your failure. Until you do, your Confidence score drops by 1. Depending on your vow, you may have a good Reputation at level 1 with people who admire such vows.
  • Weakness: Minor. You care for something or someone above all else. Poets, storytellers, food, flattery, whatever.
  • Weak-Willed: Minor. You look to others for guidance. Anyone trying to fool, intimidate or manipulate you gets +3 to their roll.

Hmmmmm. Well, let's see. I'll go with Minor Driven: Root out corruption and...oh, how about...Pessimistic.

pre:

Virtues

Flaws
Weak Scholar (-1)
Dependent (-3)
Driven: Root our corruption (-1)
Pessimistic (-1)

Reputations
That leaves us at 7 points. I'll go over the other Flaws later, with another character, since...well, there's one we're definitely taking that eats the rest of our budget. Outsider, a Social Status flaw..

• Outsider: You belong to a readily identifiable and distrusted or disliked group. You have a bad Reputation of level 1 to 3 depending on ease of identification among members of the dominant local social group. This Reputation cannot be removed.

pre:

Virtues

Flaws
Weak Scholar (-1)
Dependent (-3)
Driven: Root our corruption (-1)
Pessimistic (-1)
Outsider (-3)

Reputations
Filthy Moor 2 (Local)
Next time: Virtues!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

Chosen, trying to balance protecting the humans from the monsters and the monsters from the humans. Like a ranger, or a shaman. Might be a bully or anti-bully.

I need to create some Twilight 2000 characters.

This is a really interesting concept for a Chosen, and I'm definitely going to go with this one.

GimpInBlack posted:

Whatever concept you go with, you have to include a mortal.

An infernal sold to demons by his parents, desperate for power on his own terms.

Just to play with the expected character of the skin, a queen gangbanger.

A ghoul whose existence is a byproduct of the devil's deal the infernal's parents made.

I only needed three concepts and you gave me four, so on top of Rockopolis' Chosen I'm going to go with your first two. You're right, I'd be remiss if I didn't include a Mortal, and your idea for the Infernal is really solid.

With that, let's make a Buffy!

Monsterhearts: Making A Chosen:

We've already done the first step of creating a character in having picked the Chosen. Before we dive into it, let's read that melodramatic prose on the Chosen's trifold!

quote:

The world needs you. It needs someone brave enough to walk blindly into the darkness, and to shine a light for all the lost souls out there. They need a champion. They can’t do it alone.

There’s just that one nagging worry, the one that rears its head at the worst possible moments: what if you’re not good enough?

So, let's now get right to the next step: our Name, Look and Origin. The Chosen has the following given as choices for names:

quote:

Ajani, Ariel, Caleb, Dominic, Gabriel, Jackson, Morgan, Raidah, Susie, Victoria

A common name, a strong-sounding name, a name implying victory, a name implying tribulation

I like names with obvious symbolism behind them, so I'm going to go with Victoria. This already tells us one thing about our Chosen: it's a she. Now we get to choose her Look:

quote:

strong, stubborn, average, bitter, outcast, anxious

unwavering eyes, disquieting eyes, radiant eyes, wounded eyes, blue eyes

From the first list, describing her general appearance, I'm picking strong. Protecting mortals from monsters and vice versa takes a lot of guts. From the second list, describing her eyes (the most important part of a teenage monster romance character's appearance) I pick unwavering eyes. Already an image is forming in my head of a strong-willed young woman who doesn't take poo poo from anybody, neither mortal nor monster. Next we pick her Origin:

quote:

destined, marked by trauma, marked by the supernatural, soul survivor, doing what’s necessary

You know, as much as I like the Buffy angle of a chosen one saving our asses from the monsters, I'm going to say that Victoria is doing what’s necessary. She chose her own lot, which I find grants her a lot more agency than just being predestined to save the world.

Next it's time to do her stats. As a Chosen, Victoria starts with Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark -1, and she gets to add one to any one of those. What this means is that she's quite good at turning heads and manipulating people, quick to fight and flight, not particularly good at keeping her head straight and her emotions in check, and not particularly well in tune with the occult.

To give a quick summary of what the stats do: Hot is the manipulation stat used for turning people on and manipulating them, Cold is the stat for keeping your cool and hurting people's feelings, Volatile is the stat for hurting people physically and running away from conflict, and Dark is the stat for being in tune with the supernatural.

I'm going to be adding one to her Volatile. She's going to need it to do her job of killing monsters and taking their stuff.

Next is picking her moves. As a Chosen she starts with none of her Skin moves, instead getting to pick two from a list. Now, to go with the protector angle, I'm going to pick the following two:

quote:

Growing Pains
When you fail to protect your friends, mark experience.

quote:

Take the Blow
When you leap into the way and take the blow instead of someone else, roll with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the harm instead of them, but reduce it by 1. • On a 7-9, you take the harm instead of them.

The first one gives her a mechanical incentive to try to protect her friends: even if she fails and her friends get in trouble (which is going to be likely, with an Infernal and a Mortal in the group) she'll get to mark some sweet experience. The second actually gives her a way to protect people from harm. The logic in Monsterhearts system is that none of the basic moves (i.e. moves that anyone can do) are particularly heroic: there's no basic move for selflessly protecting someone by putting yourself in harm's way, because the characters of Monsterhearts are, generally speaking, selfish teenagers. That's why the only way to gain a means of protecting others from violence is either through picking an appropriate move for it from a Skin or growing up. (Which is an actual mechanical thing in Monsterhearts.)

Oh, and in case you're wondering what the actual roll for moves is: it's 2d6+Stat. So, with her Volatile 2, Victoria is really good at Taking the Blow. And Lashing Out Physically, as well as Running Away, oddly.

The final finishing touch for Victoria would be to do her backstory, but for that we'd actually need to know who the other characters are. As such, we'll just review her Sex Move and Darkest Self.

Sex Move posted:

When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String.

So, getting cozy with another character is basically an insta-heal for Victoria, but it comes with the problem that if she feels bad about it afterwards they'll gain a degree of control over her.

Darkest Self posted:

None of your friends can help. They’re not strong like you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever comes first.

A Skin's Darkest Self is basically that Skin at their most primal and monstrous. A character's Darkest Self can be triggered by certain moves, usually through the player's own volition, although the MC can force it upon the player as a hard move. Each Darkest Self comes with a script that the player must follow when they are in their Darkest Self (there's actually no way to mechanically force the player to do any of the stuff implied by their Darkest Self, but in my experience most players play their Darkest Selves to the hilt simply because it's a game-given right to play their characters at the most villainous), and each also comes with an Escape Clause. In Victoria's case, when she becomes her Darkest Self, she becomes intent on proving her worth, even if it kills her. In fact, the only way to escape her Darkest Self is to either end up hospitalized or to have someone save her.

Now, to go through all that again:

quote:

Victoria The Chosen

strong
unwavering eyes
doing what's necessary

Hot 1
Cold -1
Volatile 2
Dark -1

Moves:

Growing Pains
When you fail to protect your friends, mark experience.

Take the Blow
When you leap into the way and take the blow instead of someone else, roll with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the harm instead of them, but reduce it by 1. • On a 7-9, you take the harm instead of them.

Sex Move: When you have sex, heal all of your wounds, and cure all of your Conditions. If they disgust you, give them a String. If you disgust yourself, give them a String.

Darkest Self: None of your friends can help. They’re not strong like you are. You need to chase down the biggest threat imaginable, immediately and alone. Any challenges or dangers that you encounter must be faced head on, even if they might kill you. You escape your Darkest Self when someone comes to your rescue or you wake up in the hospital, whichever comes first.

After the break: we'll make ourselves a kid whose parents sold them to demons and who now has demons in their head!

However, here's a question: what sort of gender dynamic should I go for in this group? I was originally thinking of doing girl Chosen, girl Infernal and boy Mortal, mainly because I wanted to mess with the traditional dynamic of casting women as the weak damsels in distress and dudes being the actually proactive characters, but I'm not dead set on this division yet.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 26, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do that, but throw that Queen as a male in there too :colbert:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Do that, but throw that Queen as a male in there too :colbert:

Alright. Making characters for Monsterhearts isn't all that time-consuming, so I guess I could do a fourth one.

Also, I really liked GimpInBlack's idea of casting the Queen as a gang-banger.

Anyway, going in alphabetical order, next we've got the Infernal!

Making an Infernal:

Let's start with that delightful purple prose again, shall we?

quote:

At first, it seemed innocent. It gave you things, made you feel good about yourself. You came to it with your problems, and it fixed them. When you asked how you could return the favour, it told you to be patient - that all debts would be settled in due time. That was the first time you heard it mention debts.

You’ve got Satan as your corner-man, or a demon in your brain. Or maybe the stars glow just for you. Regardless, you owe a debt to something much bigger and scarier than you’ll ever be.

For the record, the Infernal's piece is my other favorite, right after the Ghost's. Ghosty ghost. You're dead.

Once again, we start with our Name, Look and Origin. For the sake of brevity, I've bolded all my choices.

quote:

Baron, Cain, Chloe, Damien, Logan, Mark, Mika, Omar, Ophelia, Poe, Yoanna

An authoritative name, a cowardly name, a name implying doom, a fierce-sounding name

quote:

distant, quiet, anxious, tense, frantic, vicious

empty eyes, calculating eyes, burning eyes, flickering eyes, piercing eyes

quote:

bartered soul, last-chancer, returned, emissary, legion, lackey, chosen

Ophelia's parents bargained her to a mysterious demonic benefactor. Having grown up an orphan, she's learned to fend for herself. She has a quiet demeanor that barely conceals the fact that she strives for one thing: to be free of the bargain she is bound to and to have power on her own terms.

The Infernal starts with Hot -1, Cold -1, Volatile 1 and Dark 1. She's not exactly a charmer, and is also quite impulsive. Like with Victoria, I'll pump up her Volatile to 2, because it makes sense given that she really craves power.

Moves! The Infernal starts with Soul Debt and gets to choose one more!

quote:

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Well, let's first create our Dark Power.

quote:

Your Dark Power
Come up with a name for your dark power, if you know its name. Choose a title from the list, to describe this entity that you’ve made your bargains with:
  • The Poisoner
  • The Trickster
  • The Connoisseur
  • The Fallen
  • The Glutton
  • The Emissary
  • The Butcher
  • The Tyrant
Or, if you prefer not to know what or who you have been making bargains with, that’s fine - just let the MC know.

Googling a suitably demonic name I decide to steer away from the stock Judeo-Christian ones and decide to go with Bushyasta, a Zoroastrian demon. We'll give her the title "The Poisoner," even though it doesn't quite match up to the original demon (who was a demon of sloth).

Next we'll pick a couple of bargains that we have with Bushyasta. In case you were wondering how we were going to be giving our Dark Power strings, here's your answer:

quote:

The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).

quote:

Numbing It Out
You can give the dark power a String in order to remove a Condition or up to two harm.

So, Ophelia's got access to quite a lot of power, but at a cost: every time she uses one of her bargains, she gives Bushyasta a String. When Bushyasta holds 5 Strings on her, it's Darkest Self time! :v:

Ophelia still gets to pick one move from her Skin, and I've got the perfect one in mind given that there's a Chosen in the group:

quote:

Can’t Save Myself
When somebody saves you from forces too powerful for you to reckon with, they mark experience, and you gain a String on them.

Once again, this move encourages Ophelia to actually get into too much trouble for her to reckon with, and if one of her friends (say, Victoria) were to save her, they'd gain experience but Ophelia would gain some leverage on them. This also works wonders with Victoria's move, although the two can't trigger at the same time.

With that in mind, let's take a look at Ophelia's Sex Move and Darkest Self.

Sex Move posted:

When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

So, by having sex Ophelia can alleviate some of the burden imposed on her by her Dark Power, but at the cost of giving Bushyasta a piece of their soul.

Darkest Self posted:

You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

So, when Ophelia finally hits 5 Strings, Bushyasta cuts off her supply of cool powers and Ophelia will have to do Bushyasta's bidding, with Bushyasta losing one String on Ophelia for every demand that Ophelia fulfills.

To recap:

quote:

Ophelia the Infernal

quiet
piercing eyes
bartered soul

Hot -1
Cold -1
Volatile 2
Dark 1

Moves:

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Can’t Save Myself
When somebody saves you from forces too powerful for you to reckon with, they mark experience, and you gain a String on them.

Your Dark Power
Come up with a name for your dark power, if you know its name. Choose a title from the list, to describe this entity that you’ve made your bargains with:
Bushyasta the Poisoner

Bargains:

The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).

Numbing It Out
You can give the dark power a String in order to remove a Condition or up to two harm.

Next time we'll get to make the emo boy who has an unrequited crush on one of the other characters.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 26, 2014

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Ratpick posted:

Next time we'll get to make the emo boy who has an unrequited crush on one of the other characters.

Make his crush the gangbanger, because heteronormativity is anathema to Monsterhearts.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

GimpInBlack posted:

Make his crush the gangbanger, because heteronormativity is anathema to Monsterhearts.

Look, we won't be doing these characters' relationships until they've been all created, and besides the Mortal always declares their backstory last. :colbert:

(Although to be honest, I'll probably do just as you said, for the exact reasons outlined.)

Next up we've got our not!Bella in line!

Making a Mortal:

The Mortal is relatively straightforward compared to the Infernal. Once again, purple prose ahoy! (It's better if you read it in a really melodramatic voice.)

quote:

None of them would understand. What you have here, in this dark and secret place, it’s beautiful. They’d warn you that this sort of beauty is dangerous, like a raging fire. Well some things are worth getting burned for.

Love has eclipsed all hope. And the dark has left you feeling beautiful.

:smithfrog:

Once again, Name, Look and Origin!

quote:

Anne, Carla, Deirdre, James, Jonathan, Leena, Patrick, Robin, Shen, Timothy, Wendy

A common name, a soft-sounding name, a pretty name, an unadorned name

quote:

quiet, desperate, awkward, beautiful, displaced

doe eyes, sad eyes, darting eyes, nervous eyes, human eyes

quote:

new kid in town, kid next door, your barista, someone’s girlfriend, someone’s boyfriend, nobody

Robin's the new kid in town. Not content to be just another preppy from an unadorned middle class environment, Robin is an emo kid from an unadorned middle class environment. His biggest peeves include sellouts, conformists and people who don't understand that he's totally deep.

As a Mortal, Robin starts with Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile -1 and Dark 1. Since all games with a Mortal in them eventually devolve into a series of romantic misadventures, we'll just speed things up by bumping his Hot to 2. :getin:

As a Mortal, Robin starts with the True Love move and gets to pick two more.

quote:

True Love
You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s heart or fancy.

Carry forward is a straight up +1 to your rolls. That said, with his Hot 2, Robin will be rolling a total of 2d6+3 on attempts to turn his true love on. We can already see that this is leading into great things.

For his two other moves, I'm once again picking a couple that work perfectly with the party dynamic:

quote:

Sympathy is My Weapon
Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, take a String on them.

quote:

Down the Rabbit Hole
When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for your kind, someone involved in the situation gains a String on you, and you mark experience.

With both a Chosen and an Infernal in the group, Robin is invariably going to get involved in something completely out of his league. Furthermore, odds are he'll get hurt in the process. These moves simply give his player a mechanical incentive to do so.

Finally we get to the fun part: Sex Moves and Darkest Selves. Remember when I said that the Mortal almost automatically leads to everything burning down in glorious flames? Here's why:

Sex Move posted:

When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest Self.

Darkest Self posted:

Nobody understands you, or even wants to. They’d rather you disappear. Well, you’re not going to disappear. You’re going to make life a living hell for them. You’ll betray the wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners. You’ll pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until everyone looks like monsters. Only seeing the pain that you’re causing your lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Monsterhearts, ladies and gentlemen.

To recap:

quote:

Robin the Mortal

awkward
sad eyes
new kid in town

Hot 2
Cold -1
Volatile -1
Dark 1

Moves:

True Love
You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else instead, give them a String and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s heart or fancy.

Sympathy is My Weapon
Every time you forgive someone for hurting you, and excuse their base nature, take a String on them.

Down the Rabbit Hole
When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for your kind, someone involved in the situation gains a String on you, and you mark experience.

Next up we have our Queen, the last of our bunch, after which we finally get to the part where it all comes together: the characters' backstories.

e: I just realized that Robin's Darkest Self really works amazingly well with Victoria's concept: Robin being willing to pit monsters and mortals against each other in his Darkest Self sounds exactly like the sort of thing that would draw in Victoria to the game. I hadn't even thought of that. This group is coming together incredibly well conceptually, even though some of it is admittedly due to me intentionally picking moves for them that work so well together.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 26, 2014

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Shuffle Up and Draw! Let's Make a Character for Deadlands Classic

To get more points to get Edges and more skills, we need to pick some Hindrances. Hindrances are worth points, from 1-5, and while we can take as many as we want, only 10pts worth will be counted. Since this is 90s design, the Hindrances are either mechanical penalties, or role-playing ones. Some examples:

Ailin': You suffer from an illness, disease or condition. This one comes in three degrees, with the more serious giving more points. Minor just gives you the occasional cough or condition that puts a penalty to persuasion and sneak attempts. Chronic is more serious, and adds a possibility of a penalty to all tasks per session. Fatal adds to that the possibility of killing off your character.

Big 'Un: Hello, fatty. This comes in two stripes (minor and major, or as the book calls it, Husky and Obese), and both decrease your pace and Nimbleness. But because you got more weight, you can also increase your Size, which helps prevent Wounds. Small silver lining.

Doubting Thomas: Supernatural? Magic? PAH, I say, PAH! Even if you see the dead walk, or your buddy blast a giant worm with magic, you'll still try to explain everything plausibly.

Enemy: Someone doesn't like you. This comes in degrees, which determines how threatening your Enemy is. Could be a comedy relief baddie with a grudge, could be a bigbad with his own posse - or dark powers. You and the GM should talk this over to see how much your Enemy can mess with you.

So let's pick some Hindrances for our Preacher.

• Heroic: Someone comes to you for help, you help.
  • Obligation (Deliver a sermon on Sundays): Obligations are things you do because of military orders, or family obligations, or job, etc. In Preacher's case, he's gotta preach to the flock on Sundays.
  • Clueless: If you were in a room with the only things in it are a table and a hat, you couldn't find the hat, probably even the table. You get a penalty to Cognition checks to find stuff - and this applies to surprise checks if you get ambushed.
  • Squeamish: You get queasy when you see blood and gore. Any guts checks you make related to gore gets a penalty.

So those Hindrances give us 10 points to work with, so let's get some Edges. First off, let's pick the obvious one for a Blessed:

• Arcane Background:Blessed - this is what we need to call down miracles.
  • Brave: We get a bonus to guts checks - so yes, if we see a gory scene, this and Squeamish cancels out, and we just make a default roll.
  • Gift of Gab: We can pick up enough languages quick to effectively communicate with those with different tongues. Won't be as effective as having knowledge in that language, but at least we can hear and speak back

So that's 6 pts spent, so let's get some more skills. We'll buy Knowledge:Latin at 2 pts, for some ceremonies/reading really old religious books, etc, and Horse Ridin' at 2, because it's a Western. That's our points spent, so here's our charsheet.

pre:
    Deftness: 1d8
      -Shootin': Shotgun 3
    Nimbleness: 4d6
      -Climbin' 1 (FREE)
      -Dodge 2
      -Fightin': Brawlin' 3
      -Sneak 2 (1 pt)
    Quickness: 3d6
    Strength: 2d8
    Vigor: 2d8

Cognition: 1d8
      -Scrutinize 2
      -Search 3 (1 pt FREE)
    Knowledge: 3d8
      -Area Knowledge: Home County 2 (FREE)
      -Medicine: General 2
      -Professional:Theology 2
    Mien: 3d10
      -Persuasion 3
      -Tale-Tellin' 3
    Smarts: 2d12
    Spirit: 3d12
      -Faith 5
      -Guts 4

Grit: 0
Pace: 12
Size: 6
Wind: 20

Hindrances:
[*]Heroic
[*]Obligation (Deliver a sermon on Sundays)
[*]Clueless
[*]Squeamish

Edges:
[*]Arcane Background:Blessed 
[*]Brave
[*]Gift of Gab
If we were making a normal character, all we'd need to do now was to buy gear, write down some background info (and the most important part, Their Worst Nightmare), and we'd be done! But we made a Blessed, and there's some Miracles to pick.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

So, lets stick with a musically inclined bird-lady. Obviously it would be easy enough to stat up a Free Spirit who just looks like a giant bird-person, but lets stick with the Dead Inside since they're the intended PC type.

We'll go with a wannabe musician who sold her soul in exchange for musical ability. Let's call her...Sandra.

Step 1: Personality For personality we'll go with "Creative"

Step 2: Backstory Sandra was a teenage runaway. After getting some decent gigs with her friends and their garage band, she decided that she was ready for the big times. Her homelife was rough and her parents wanted her to buckle down and get a "real job" after graduating from high school. She ended up running away at 17 and trying to turn her music into a career and get "discovered". Unfortunately things didn't go well as it turns out that she lacked any significant talent. Her Virtue is Hope (uncharitably described as overconfidence) and her Vice is Avarice.

Step 3: Soul Loss Eventually, she was found by an unscrupulous Magi who offered her a deal...true musical ability in exchange for her soul. Obviously she never believed in the soul or magic...but she figured this would be some kind of record deal or lesson. This means that the Magi is still out there with her soul...if he hasn't used it all up already.

Step 4: Discovery It didn't take long for Sandra to realize just how intense her transformation was. Suddenly songs and music just popped into her head and out of her mouth or fingers. However, she felt like poo poo all the time and despite her newfound abilities she could never bring herself to try to do anything with them. It took her a while, but when her newfound second-sight showed her brightly colored birds no-one else seemed to notice slipping in and out of a rainbow portal in the sky. She leaped from the roof of a nearby building, fell through the Gate and into the Spirit World.

Step 5: Qualities Sandra's got 4 Quality Ranks. Two of them will go towards her music...Expert [+4] Unnatural Musical Talent. So far we haven't dealt with the "bird" part of things, but as a Dead Inside she gets some supernatural abilities and it's possible to take them as Qualities to improve your abilities with them. So Sandra will have Good [+2] Change Self. This allows partial or complete shapechanging, with avian shapes being just a personal preference. One Quality left, so we'll give her Good [+2] Runaway to represent the tricks and skills she picked up on the streets. Her weakness will be Poor [-2] Stubborn, which fits her backstory.

Step 5: Type Sandra is an Average [0] Dead Inside. This gives her access to a few supernatural powers, but the only ones she can use reliably are Change Self (thanks to her Quality), Healing, Luck, Second Sight, Soultaking, Supercharging and Ward.

Step 6: Soul Points Just a single one.

Step 7: Miscellany Not much goes here since her backstory is fairly complete and her Qualities are self-explanatory.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 26, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Since I'm on a roll now, let's get right to making our gangbanger Queen!

Monsterhearts: Making a Queen:

First of all, here's what the book has to say about male Queens:

quote:

The title “Queen” is used in a gender-nonspecific way. It’s fine to make a male Queen.

Alright then. Once again with the puff prose:

quote:

You’re one of the special ones. A sovereign beauty. You deserve more than the rest of this wretched world does. You deserve the will and worship of those around you.

And it’s not only because you’re better than them. It’s because you make them better. Strong, beautiful, complete. They’d be nothing without you.

Let's get right to it. Name, Look and Origin.

quote:

Burton, Brittany, Cordelia, Drake, Jacqueline, Kimball, Raymond, Reyes, Varun, Veronica

A lordly name, a cold-sounding name, a harsh-sounding name, a name evoking leadership

quote:

stunning, domineering, icy, stuck up

calculating eyes, captivating eyes, brooding eyes, murky eyes, vacant eyes

quote:

most popular kid in school, most dangerous person around, occult leader, firstborn of the hive mind, source of the infection

Burton is a teenage gangbanger and highschool drop-out. Ever since his parents died under mysterious circumstances Burton's been leading a life of crime, leading a gang of young thugs into a life of crime. While he's not completely aware of the supernatural, he's seen enough weird poo poo during his life to know that there's something dangerous out there.

As a Queen Burton starts with Hot 1, Cold 1, Volatile -1 and Dark -1. He's not going to be all that imposing in a fair physical conflict, but he'll do fine as long as he's got his gang with him. Since the group already has its fair share of Hot and Volatile characters, we'll pump his Cold to 2. Burton is going to be really cool and collected, and knows exactly which buttons to push to hurt people's feelings.

Burton starts with the Clique move and gets to pick one more.

quote:

The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. Choose one of the following strengths for your gang:
  • they’re armed (with guns and real dangerous stuff);
  • they’re connected (with money and designer drugs);
  • they’re talented (in a band or sports team);
  • they’re cultists (with dark oaths and willingness to die).

Of those the first one seems the most sensible, although the second one could make sense as well. For the moment we'll assume that Burton's clique is basically just a heavily armed gang.

For his other move, this one seems a perfect fit:

quote:

The Shield
When you’re surrounded by your gang, subtract 1 from any rolls against you. (NPCs act at a Disadvantage.)

Whether he's defending against the monster of the week or trying to turn down Robin's advances, Burton will be better off when surrounded by his gang.

A note about gangs: all characters (with the exception of the Mortal) can take a gang as an advance. The Queen is the only Skin that actually starts with one. Monsterhearts deals with Skins very abstractly: you can Manipulate your gang to help you do things (as per the Manipulate an NPC move). If they help you do something, you add 1 to your rolls. If your gang helps you deal harm against someone, you add 1 harm. That's it.

So, even with his Volatile -1, should his gang help him out in a firefight he'd be rolling as if his Volatile was 0, and he'd add 1 to any harm dealt this way. Harm comes in four varieties: 1 harm is a punch, 2 harm is a knife, 3 is a gun, harm 4 is being hit by a truck. Player characters can take 4 harm before they die. (Or not. Players still get to make a few hard choices before dying if they don't feel like dying yet.)

As for Burton's Sex Move and Darkest Self:

Sex Move posted:

When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

So, if Robin were to succeed in his plan to bed Burton, it'd bring Robin close enough to Burton for Burton to make use of Robin as if he were a part of his gang. Oh, and of course this'll also happen:

Darkest Self posted:

They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Yeah.

Any way, here's the finalized version of Burton:

quote:

Burton the Queen

domineering
calculating eyes
most dangerous person around

Hot 1
Cold 2
Volatile -1
Dark -1

Moves:

The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang. Choose one of the following strengths for your gang:
  • they’re armed (with guns and real dangerous stuff)

The Shield
When you’re surrounded by your gang, subtract 1 from any rolls against you. (NPCs act at a Disadvantage.)

Next time we'll finally find out how this band of misfits actually fits together.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Your Backstory

This is where it all comes together. Having made our four characters, now it's time to find out how these characters are linked together. This is also the source of our precious Strings, the social currency which characters in Monsterhearts use to manipulate each other.

Once again, our characters are:
Victoria, the Chosen
Ophelia, the Infernal
Robin, the Mortal
Burton, the Queen

There's only one rule about players declaring their backstories: the Mortal always goes last if there's one in the group. As such, we'll start with Burton.

quote:

Name three NPCs who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.

Burton's player names Avon, Denise and Walton as three members of his gang. There are probably more members in his gang, but these three are ones that have been named and established. The MC may ask Burton leading questions about who these three are and what purpose they serve to Burton.

For the second one, Burton thinks that if he'd find anyone threatening it'd be Ophelia: Ophelia's past implies that she's also lead a rough life on the streets, and the two have probably butted heads before. Burton gives Ophelia a String, and takes two Strings on Ophelia.

Next we move on to Victoria:

quote:

You have two friends who you can rely on for monsterslaying support. Take a String on each.

There’s someone who knows that you’re the Chosen one, and wants you dead. The MC gives them a name and two Strings on you.

Victoria's player doesn't think it would make sense for her to rely on Ophelia for help in killing monsters, so she picks Robin and Burton. Even though Robin is the new kid in town he's already made a friend in Victoria, and Victoria's previously helped Burton's gang out of some monster-related poo poo, so she can rely on Burton to help her should poo poo hit the fan.

For the second one Victoria asks the MC to give the big bad a name. The MC gives one of those grins that only MCs who are up to no good can muster and gives it the name Bushyasta, which just happens to be Ophelia's dark power. The MC is here working on one of their Agendas: Make the PCs’ lives not boring. The fact that Ophelia's dark power wants Victoria dead is definitely going to lead to interesting play.

Next we move on to Ophelia:

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Ophelia likes to live dangerously, so she decides to give her one of her 3 Strings straight to her dark power, Bushyasta. The two other Strings she gives to Victoria. Victoria's saved Ophelia more than once already when Ophelia let loose with her power and tried to take on some monsters she couldn't beat by herself. This also puts Ophelia in an interesting place, as she feels that she owes Victoria for saving her life, but Bushyasta may put her at odds with Victoria since Bushyasta wants her dead.

Ophelia looks at the other part of her backstory and decides to take a String on Victoria. While Victoria has saved Ophelia, Ophelia still thinks Victoria foolish for thinking that she can save Ophelia from the embrace of her dark power.

Finally, we get to Robin.

quote:

The Mortal always declares their backstory last. Declare one person to be your lover. Give them three Strings on you. Take one String on them.

Robin declares Burton to be his lover. The gangbangers hard and edgy attitude has earned Burton his fancy. Taking into account how entwined the two are with Victoria and Ophelia, Robin will probably end up following Burton into stuff that's way over his head.

So, here are the strings held by each of our central characters:

Victoria posted:

Strings Held:
Robin 1
Burton 1
Ophelia 2

Ophelia posted:

Strings Held:
Victoria 1
Burton 1

Robin posted:

Strings Held:
Burton 1

Burton posted:

Strings Held:
Ophelia 2
Robin 3
Avon 1
Denise 1
Walton 1

Finally, there's also Bushyasta whose strings the MC is keeping track of:

Bushyasta posted:

Strings Held:
Victoria 2
Ophelia 1

So now that we've got these Strings, what can we actually do with them? Well, these things, exactly:

You can spend a String on another PC to:
  • Add 1 to your roll against them (choose after rolling).
  • Subtract 1 from their roll against you (choose after rolling).
  • Offer them an experience point to do what you want.
  • Force them to hold steady in order to carry out a certain action.
  • Add an extra harm to whatever harm you’re dealing them.
  • Place a Condition on them.

You can spend a String on an NPC to:
  • Add 1 to your roll against them (choose after rolling).
  • Add 3 to your manipulate an NPC roll against them (choose after rolling).
  • Cause them to falter, hesitate, or freeze up momentarily.
  • Add an extra harm to whatever harm you’re dealing them.

How about those Strings held by Bushyasta? The MC's got their own list of things they can do with these Strings.

The MC can spend NPC Strings on someone to:
  • Put the NPC’s action against them at an Advantage.
  • Add an extra harm to whatever harm the NPC is dealing to them.
  • Offer them experience to do what you want.
  • Come out of nowhere with a hard move.

Some of the things on this list are actually things that the MC can do to PCs without Strings, but the important thing here is that the Strings give a context to those things. When the MC wants to force their hand as Bushyasta and make Ophelia do her bidding, they'll narrate the action (i.e. Bushyasta whispering dark promises into Ophelia's ear if she does this one favor for her) and then offer Ophelia experience for doing her bidding (for an obvious example: bringing Bushyasta Victoria as a sacrifice).

Anyway, that's it for this group. I might keep these guys around for the sake of my Fatal & Friends write-up.

e: Also, I can't believe I forgot one of the most important uses of Strings: highlighted stats.

At the beginning of each game, each PC gets two of their Stats highlighted. The first time they use that Stat in a scene, they get to mark experience. One of the highlighted Stats is chosen by the MC, and the other by the player whose character holds the most Strings on that character.

If you want to play fair, you'll highlight one of your friend's character's better stats. However, sometimes doing just the opposite can lead into a more fun game.

Let's say that a few games in Burton still holds the most Strings on Robin. The game thus far has been leading into an epic confrontation with Victoria, Burton and Robin facing Bushyasta and also having to butt heads with Ophelia. Burton's player knows that Robin has a low Volatile, but he'd really like to see Robin get violent during the epic confrontation.

Similarly, let's say that the relationship between Victoria and Ophelia starts to pick up some romantic undertones: Victoria thinks that Ophelia could be saved and Ophelia actually wants to be free of Bushyasta's control. Even though the two are still at odds, Ophelia is starting to develop feelings for Victoria, even though at the same time Ophelia resents herself for developing those feelings, because she wants to be free and strong, without nobody pulling her strings. If Victoria's player were still the one holding the most Strings on Ophelia, they could choose to highlight Ophelia's Hot, simply to see whether this will lead to Ophelia to pursue their romance.

Strings are fun.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 26, 2014

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Last Stand

I need a break from gigantic Burning Wheel skill lists, so let's make a character in a much different system.

Eschewing more traditional means of character creation, Last Stand uses a draft mechanic to communally generate agents. No character is generated in a vacuum; the choices your party makes will affect the choices that you can make. Four characters would take up way too much space, so I'll omit the other 3 players. There are two types of cards in the game - Bio-Armors, which determine the specific alien suit that each player has equipped, and Armory Cards, which are abilities that can be used in the course of the game. A character (at the start) is composed entirely of these cards: the combination of the Bio-Armor and Armory cards determines the stats.

Armory Cards have to be chosen first. The Armory Deck is shuffled, and seven cards are dealt to each player. Each player examines the cards that they have, choose one, and add it to their character pile.

My hand is:

I pick Throw Caution to the Wind, cause I wanna make a proactive fighter.

My next hand is:

Of these, Last Ditch Effort sounds the best - it'll let me do a crapload of damage, provided that I can gain the tokens.

The third hand is:

Toxin Filtration System could be really useful to gain tokens, which I need for my other attacks, so I'll take that.

Fourth hand is:

Sniper Rifle would be a useful card. But - THROWING CARS. I pick Throw A Car At It.

Back to my original hand, I get:

On one hand, the damage over time from Bladed Arms could be really nice. On the other hand, a Social Challenge card could help my stats and my ability to deal with social situations (not everything can be a fight, you know!) I'll choose The Escape Clause to give my stats a boost.

For the last hand, I get:

I do love stats - I'll pick Controlled Explosion. I discard the lone last card.

That's all my armory cards. I get handed a random pair of Bio-Armors, which are:

Pill Bug goes with my heavy attack style, and will let me control how enemies move me.

With all my cards selected, I calculate my stats and get Disruptor 6, Leader 7, Tactician 5, and Operative 4 (stats start at a base of 1). Relatively good stats all around - I'll be able to take a lot of punishment from varied kinds of attacks. Once stats are calculated, we're ready to play! Over time, I may gain more powers from Slotting and Bio-Armor creation, but these 7 cards are the essentials of my character's mechanics.

My final card spread:

Asymmetrikon fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 26, 2014

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Alumnus Post posted:

Alright motherfuckers, I hope you like enormous :effortless:posts, because here comes...

Frater A. P.’s Big-rear end Guide to the Tree of Life and the Tarot
Or: How to use weird esoteric bullshit as a framework to generate interesting and compelling storygame characters.
Here follows some weird esoteric bullshit. If you are not hot on this sort of thing, or know what I'm talking about already, it’s probably best to skip it. We’ll get to the actual chargen in the post following that.

I'm going to codify, write rules for, and generally steal the crap out of this when I go back and revise my incomplete "crazy occult apocalypse" January contest game. This is almost exactly what I wanted out of the character generation system for Eschatography that I could never figure out. Where were you last month? :argh:

e: Oh, I can make use the Major Arcana-themed setting elements as seed material. You may have just kept me from consigning that game to the incomplete draft room.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 26, 2014

Sweet and Awful
Oct 26, 2013

Adeptus Evangelion 2.5: Let's Make A hosed-Up Teen!

Using a homebrew mod that uses the Dark Heresy system to recreate the setting of Neon Genesis Evangelion, we're going to make the perfect Pop Idol. For this we'll need the Dark Heresy Core Rulebook and Adeptus Evangelion 2.5.

Let's see, our idol will be a young girl named Mimi Hayes.

Step 1: Background

This replaces the Homeworld from DH and essentially is your background life experience.

The Neo-Spartan has been trained from a young age in combat and piloting.
The Prodigy is fresh blood. Some regular joe who was found to have a natural talent for piloting.
The Manufactured is someone cloned or created in a lab for piloting.
The Impact Survivor was around when catastrophe hit. You're not a pilot, you're a survivor.

Considering the concept I've given earlier, we'll go with the Manufactured.

quote:

Manufactured Skills
Many manufactured display personality traits bordering on the Autistic or Sociopathic. All
manufactured begin play trained in Logic and Deceive.

Deceive and the characteristic associated with it (Fellowship) will be important for living their double life.

quote:

Manufactured Traits
Each Manufactured begins play with 4 traits, two of which are Positive and two of which are
Negative. Choose two traits from each of the following lists.

Immediately, I already know the first Positive trait I want.

quote:

Replaceable - Some Manufactured lines are considered genetically stable enough and important enough to be batch grown. Thus, if one copy should fall in the war with the Angels, another can take its place. Manufactured with this trait begin play with 1d5+3 backup bodies (including the one in use). However, this precludes being able to burn fate to survive and the character may never burn to survive for any reason, though they may choose to burn Fate to activate other abilities (such as Ghost in the Machine). Whenever the Manufactured dies, has a significant physical penalty permanently applied (such as blindness or limb loss), betrays Nerv, or would be removed from play for other reasons a GM might feel are appropriate, a clone in perfect physical health replaces the character. Any and all Assets and Drawbacks taken by the character are assumed to apply to all clones equally.

Because it calls for it, I roll a 1d5 which you might be wondering what that is but that dice roll is called for occasionally in the game. Unless for some strange reason you have an actual 1d5 you just roll a 1d10 and divide by 2. Doing this, I rolled a 5. So this gives us 8 backup bodies, the maximum amount.

Then we give them their second positive trait:

quote:

Implanted Memories - Nerv can’t simply wait around for Manufactured to learn naturally so they did the next best thing: implanting the memories of someone who did. Choose any two skills that are not Dodge, and gain the Talented talent for them both.

The Talented talent comes from the Dark Heresy core rulebook and gives us +10 to our Characteristic when using that skill. This will go into Deceive and Disguise for the use of our alter ego.

Now to pick Negative traits:

quote:

Gullible - The speed at which Manufactured are brought to maturity sometimes means they fail to gain certain social capabilities, specifically an inability to notice ulterior motives. Barter, Blather, Charm, and Deceive Tests made against the character are at a +20 bonus

Mental Conditioning - Various forms of subliminal messaging and indoctrination have been used to make Manufactured incredibly obedient resources for Nerv. To disobey a direct order given in combat by a member of the organization that created them, they must pass a Difficult (-10) Willpower Test. Outside of combat this control lessens but is still present, requiring a Challenging (+0) Willpower Test to disobey.

I think Gullible works well because, despite the fact we're good at lying, being easily trusting helps give her a charming, naive personality. Mental Conditioning represents the organization she works for's control of her, being used to make sure she doesn't leak information to the media.

At the end of the Background page it lists Starting Wounds and Fate Points, but that won't be relevant until Step 3.

Next time: Ruining a Teen's Life! Step 2: Drawbacks and Assets

Sweet and Awful fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug

Mimir posted:

I'm going to codify, write rules for, and generally steal the crap out of this when I go back and revise my incomplete "crazy occult apocalypse" January contest game. This is almost exactly what I wanted out of the character generation system for Eschatography that I could never figure out. Where were you last month? :argh:

e: Oh, I can make use the Major Arcana-themed setting elements as seed material. You may have just kept me from consigning that game to the incomplete draft room.

I think I was burying myself in the Book of Thoth until I figured out what the gently caress was going on with Crowley's mother-goddamning impossible writing. :shobon: Seriously, even the artist for his deck called him out on how unbelievably dense he is. The megapost I wrote doesn't even touch on half the factors he wanted put into those cards, much less the interpretations involved, or anything about his weird religion-cum-lifestyle-cum-philosophy. Andrew Hussie wishes he could do Homestuck half so complicated and interconnected. :sbahj:

I saw the January contest thread...but about a week ago. You're welcome to the idea and the methods involved, as long as you give credit. Shoot me an email at staurn@gmail.com if you're looking for collaboration or advisory - I'd love to be part of it!

• Locked thread