Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh early-2000s... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just watch Lexx with the tongue toilet.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
The child actor in Ben and Kate (red-haired kid) has a small role in Star-Crossed. For a kid that young, she's actually a decent actor.

Star Crossed's pilot actually looks pretty interesting. If you like science fiction in general, you might like it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ruh roh Gotham sounds Real Bad. (if it's a real script, which I believe because it's funnier if it's true)

I'm spoiling this even though I have no respect for people who get mad about baby town frolics spoilers like this:

quote:

• Here's the proto-villains introduced in the pilot: A 14-year-old Catwoman, already cat-burglering and associating with cats; the Riddler, who is working for the GCPD as a coroner and who tries to present all pertinent case information as riddles; the Penguin, a mid-level thug, who as mentioned earlier is repeatedly referred to as looking like a penguin.

• Additionally, Gordon and Bullock enter a run-down apartment where a little girl named Ivy lives with her lovely parents and, according to the script, a lot of houseplants. Could this perhaps be Poison Ivy? Well, in the comics, Poison Ivy's real name is Pamela Isley. Is Gotham giving us a clever feint here? Probably not.

• There's also a comedian telling jokes in gangster Fish Mooney's club, jokes straight out of Reader's Digest circa 1942. Mooney laughs hysterically, and, just in case those feelings were somehow opaque to the audiences, she tells the comedian she likes him. A lot. Repeatedly.

• Major Crimes detective Renee Montoya used to date Gordon's fiancée, because LESBIANS. And for bonus points, Bullock even calls her a dyke. Fun!

• Alfred appears to have a crazy cockney accent, and I swear to god this is real dialogue from the script:

ALFRED: Oi! Master Bruce! Stop playing silly buggers! Get your bloody arse down off there!

• One more line for the road from Gordon's fiancée:

BARBARA (blithely): Jim, you are the cleverest, bravest, goodest man in Gotham.

Know that if you are glad I did that I hold you in contempt.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

Ruh roh Gotham sounds Real Bad. (if it's a real script, which I believe because it's funnier if it's true)

I'm spoiling this even though I have no respect for people who get mad about baby town frolics spoilers like this:

Know that if you are glad I did that I hold you in contempt.

:allears:

Looks like it will live up to Birds of Prey

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh I am gonna watch the poo poo out of that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also looking forward to them completely loving up Hellblazer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

Also looking forward to them completely loving up Hellblazer.

You shut your drat whore mouth :mad:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

List of comic book properties made into TV shows that didn't completely suck. I don't mean not very good, I mean, complete trainwreck disaster of a show:

1. Arrow
2.???????????????????

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

List of comic book properties made into TV shows that didn't completely suck. I don't mean not very good, I mean, complete trainwreck disaster of a show:

1. Arrow
2.???????????????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUcktiQxC9Q

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

quote:

• Major Crimes detective Renee Montoya used to date Gordon's fiancée, because LESBIANS. And for bonus points, Bullock even calls her a dyke. Fun!

That's like a basic part of her comic character if I'm remembering correctly. That's not some cheap TV addition. And if I remember correctly he's kind of a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat who would do that sort of thing.

I don't know, I think its really stupid to judge a show based on a leaked draft of the pilot script that may or may not be real. A lot of that stuff sounds like it just needs tweeks or might play better under the right approach. A lot of it could just be cut. Or it could all be bullshit. The tone sounds of those notes makes it sound like they were playing with merging a campy Adam West feel and gritty film noir thing which could work or be a disaster. Or it could get scrapped or be fake.

That being said isn't this the show that started as "Smallville, but with Batman"? So yeah, I'm not expecting much at all.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

1. Arrow
2.???????????????????

2. The Walking Dead (better than the comic)
3. The Tick
4. The Middleman (better than the comic)
5. 60s Batman

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zoux posted:

1. Arrow
2.???????????????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPX-FX0KStE

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is Ghostbusters in a nutshell, a pretty good comedy-adventure that you think is the greatest movie of all time if it came out when you were a kid. Seeing goons who really ought to know better unironically arguing that it's the greatest movie of all time or that the special effects are superior to anything today because the ghosts scared them when they were kids :biotruths: is really weird.

Putting Ghostbusters in the same pile as "lovely toy cartoons you liked as a kid" with that dumb loving comic is disingenuous as poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I shouldn't be surprised about a knee jerk reaction to what might be fake as poo poo script. Going into everything thinking it's going to suck has to be a depressing way to view media.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
That leaked script is actually from a different show called Got Ham?.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreenNight posted:

I shouldn't be surprised about a knee jerk reaction to what might be fake as poo poo script. Going into everything thinking it's going to suck has to be a depressing way to view media.

Part of me thinks that the primary reason spoilers and the internet exists is so that a bunch of people can preemptively talk themselves out of being interested in things so that they're never disappointed when things fail to meet expectations.

Then they work very hard to get everyone else on board too because its depressing when everyone else is having more fun at a party than you are.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

That's how I view the world mate.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

zoux posted:

That's how I view the world mate.

They make medications for that.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

zoux posted:

1. Arrow
2.???????????????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LMLYrXoBeE

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

2. The Walking Dead (better than the comic)
3. The Tick
4. The Middleman (better than the comic)
5. 60s Batman

6. Adventures of Superman (perfectly acceptable for the time period)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I hadn't even heard of this Gotham show before now. I hope the Flash show doesn't suck though, the Barry Allen cameo in Arrow was pretty good.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

ALSO, got around to watching Late Night with Seth Meyers, finally... Jesus, that was rough. I mean, I'm sure it'll get better, but goodness, everything fell flat except for Armisen's gags and some of the Poehler interview.

The best part of the show was Fred Armisen? drat, that is rough. I DVRed the first episode of the Fallon Tonight Show last week and haven't watched that yet either.

zoux posted:

Hmmm I dunno guys, what do you think, do you think Irish Joe was trolling?

He makes some pretty bad posts elsewhere too so it's really tough to say.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Deadpool posted:

7. The Flash (90s)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

1990 Flash? I watched that show every week when I was a kid and even then I knew it wasn't that good.

Deadpool posted:

What about Lois and Clark? I never actually watched a single episode of it but it stayed on for a long time. Then again, so did Smallville.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

1990 Flash? I watched that show every week when I was a kid and even then I knew it wasn't that good.

What about Lois and Clark? I never actually watched a single episode of it but it stayed on for a long time. Then again, so did Smallville.

Lois and Clark was bad.

The only other show I can think of that may fit in there was the old Hulk show. But there were way more mediocre shows than good from what I can remember.

The '60s Batman is the best comic book show ever made though and I don't think it will ever be surpassed. Everything about it is perfect.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

When I was 14 I enjoyed Lois and Clark quite a bit. I'm sure if I was 25 I would have disliked it greatly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't people really like that Human Target show?

How was the old Lynda Carter Wonder Woman show? I've never seen it outside syndication in my youth.

And is Agents of SHIELD really a "trainwreck"? I haven't seen it but the impression I got was that it was more plodding and boring and not nearly as interesting as the movies.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Human Target season 1 was awesome. Season 2 was redesigned like crazy by Fox and ratings took a dive and then was canceled.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

And is Agents of SHIELD really a "trainwreck"? I haven't seen it but the impression I got was that it was more plodding and boring and not nearly as interesting as the movies.

Yeah, SHIELD isn't so much bad as it is just boring as poo poo. Even without the superheroes from the movies it has the potential to be a better and more interesting show, but it's just... not.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, season one of Human Target was amazing, two was amazingly poo poo.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

It's only a trainwreck if you expected super heroes and marvel awesomeness every episode. Or at all. On it's own, it's aggressively mediocre.

And on Lois and Clark, that show rules. At least when I was 7 to 11 years old, which is when the show aired. Haven't seen it since.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

raditts posted:

Yeah, SHIELD isn't so much bad as it is just boring as poo poo. Even without the superheroes from the movies it has the potential to be a better and more interesting show, but it's just... not.

Fateo McMurray posted:

It's only a trainwreck if you expected super heroes and marvel awesomeness every episode. Or at all. On it's own, it's aggressively mediocre.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Like I said I haven't seen it but my impression was it was just a mediocre cop/spy procedural and the hate largely stemmed from people who either were expecting super heroes zipping around or the people who want it to be much more serial. But I've never gotten the impression it was "good" either.

But the main point of the original question seemed to be "are there any shows made from comics that didn't suck terribly?" and the answer seems to be "yeah, there were a bunch of that were all right, mediocre, or had potential but not many that have really put it together and become very good."

My theory is that we'll only start getting a number of "very good" comic shows when we're saturated with a lot of bad or mediocre ones first. Same goes for Sci Fi, fantasy, horror, or whatever. For every Breaking Bad or The Shield there's a dozen lovely crime dramas. Its a business that I think heavily relies on throwing poo poo at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

1. Arrow
2.???????????????????

Wonder Woman

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The Middleman is still the most unjust and horrible cancellation in a long and storied history of terrible TV cancellations. :smith:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spatula City posted:

The Middleman is still the most unjust and horrible cancellation in a long and storied history of terrible TV cancellations. :smith:

I used to think that, but I've come to a different conclusion: I'm glad that someone picked it up, even if it was only for a season. It's the kind of show that no channel exec in their right mind would greenlight, but those crazy bastards at ABC Family did anyway.

And then almost immediately realized their mistake and realigned their sights on middling dramas for teenage girls.

Terriers remains the most unjust cancellation, especially considering that FX is now floundering for content for their two networks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The most unjust cancellation was and forever shall be Space:Above and Beyond.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

How many shows here does everyone DVR? I just counted on my cable box and got 42. That's not too many right?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Fateo McMurray posted:

How many shows here does everyone DVR? I just counted on my cable box and got 42. That's not too many right?

62 according to my MyEpisodes subscriptions, though not all of them are currently airing obviously. I did already discount the likely canceled ones like Super Fun Night.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Fateo McMurray posted:

Tracking 55 shows on my tv calendar website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, season one of Human Target was amazing, two was amazingly poo poo.

Gosh that's such a wrong opinion it hurts. Season 1 is very good, but season 2 is actually really good too. Possibly even better. The addition of two *gasp* female characters is awkward at first but they soon fit in and do add another dimension and more character dynamics to the show. And the episodes where Mrs. Pucci actually gets caught up in the action are particularly funny and work surprisingly well. The action and stunts are still there and better than ever, so it dosen't lose anything as an action show, but overall the show has more depth in season 2, and is constantly good across all of the episodes. Even if you really didn't like the changes in season 2, I don't see how anyone could say it is "amazingly poo poo" if they claim to like season 1.

• Locked thread