Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That could have been the thing that came out the day after. The keys that the site was giving out for a weekend beta.

Ive never seen a sub base game give you access to a closed continuous beta just by buying the box. Weekend betas sure, but never the closed ones.

To clarify, have all the beta keys so far been for brief, weekend encounters with the game, as opposed to a single closed beta that is operating continuously? Or do you get into the closed beta and have access to the game every weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
ZAM has weekend beta keys if you're quick.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Radio Talmudist posted:

To clarify, have all the beta keys so far been for brief, weekend encounters with the game, as opposed to a single closed beta that is operating continuously? Or do you get into the closed beta and have access to the game every weekend?

Most of the people getting keys in here have been for weekend betas or stress tests. There is a continuous beta and there are people in here with access to it but its far more exclusive. They only send a piddling amount of keys for that every week and the keys that are sold are usually the friend keys that they hand out to closed beta testers.

vermicious
Feb 22, 2010

Who is leaving messages on your answering machine?

Al Baron posted:

ZAM has weekend beta keys if you're quick.

They've still got em! just got one myself!

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

vermicious posted:

They've still got em! just got one myself!

Same, got one earlier! I'll be checking out the other classes this weekend. I won't spend as much time in game this time around though, maybe focus on seeing what the crafting is like. I also really liked both factions so I'm having trouble deciding which to place my main in :(

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
http://www.tentonhammer.com/giveaways/wildstar-beta-key-giveaway

TTH still has some as well for next weekend now that ZAM is out.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Cross-posting this from the Key Begging Thread

quote:

ZAM's are gone, WildStarFans has a running list of other sites doing it. There's one tomorrow if you can't manage it today.

TenTonHammer still has keys, though. Got to be a member for that and login ON the key giveaway page, else it says you can't access it.
If you don't get one today, there's one with a set start time tomorrow on the WildStarFans link. TenTonHammer is out too.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I'm guessing last weekend beta keys won't let you in to this weekend.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What level do I have to get to, by what day in March? I have an engineer so playing this is a real slog.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

CzarStark posted:

What level do I have to get to, by what day in March? I have an engineer so playing this is a real slog.

Are you in the real beta or just the weekend one? A lot of people were killing themselves trying to get to 32 in a weekend under the assumption that they would get an invite as some kind of poopsocker trophy.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
After 3 stress tests and last weekend's beta, I think I'm done with the short weekend play sessions. I've tried all 6 classes to level 10-15, 6 races, both factions, PvP, and housing. There is really not a great deal for me to do with limited play time, so I'm happy to wait for open beta/release at this point (or the long shot of a closed beta key).

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

ijyt posted:

So I'm guessing last weekend beta keys won't let you in to this weekend.

Nope. Before applying a new key from ZAM I tried logging into the forums and was denied access.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Got a weekend key. Will look forward to trying out the spellslinger this weekend. :toot:

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.

Metrohunter posted:

Got a weekend key. Will look forward to trying out the spellslinger this weekend. :toot:

Enjoy hitting like a wet noodle.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

It'll be nice if tomorrow they don't put NA weekend beta keys up at 6:30 and 7:30am my time. It's my day off and I was asleep :negative:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

RiffRoff posted:

Enjoy hitting like a wet noodle.

After the second channeled ability (like quick draw but with a cooldown and more dmg) I started killing stuff much faster.

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.

Kingtheninja posted:

After the second channeled ability (like quick draw but with a cooldown and more dmg) I started killing stuff much faster.

Have you got over level 20 yet?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I hate my life. I check this topic and have missed TWO beta key giveaways since the morning. That being said, if they are aiming for a Spring 2014 release then the open beta has to be imminent.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

I hate my life. I check this topic and have missed TWO beta key giveaways since the morning. That being said, if they are aiming for a Spring 2014 release then the open beta has to be imminent.

They tweeted recently that there would be an open beta a month before launch, however whether or not that means the servers will be open 24/7 for that last month is anyone's guess. They keep saying "Spring", however posters in this thread seem to think they won't get it out until Summer.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

ruffz posted:

They tweeted recently that there would be an open beta a month before launch, however whether or not that means the servers will be open 24/7 for that last month is anyone's guess. They keep saying "Spring", however posters in this thread seem to think they won't get it out until Summer.

Summer really does seem more likely.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

RiffRoff posted:

Have you got over level 20 yet?

I, in fact, have not :negative:

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ItBurns posted:

Are you in the real beta or just the weekend one? A lot of people were killing themselves trying to get to 32 in a weekend under the assumption that they would get an invite as some kind of poopsocker trophy.

I've had a real beta key since last May but only started playing in January.

Don't kill me, goons waiting for an invite.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

CzarStark posted:

I've had a real beta key since last May but only started playing in January.

Don't kill me, goons waiting for an invite.

I uninstalled the game :unsmigghh:

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Its simply impossible for me to get a key through these key giveaways as I am always at work when they start and literally 500 keys go in 5 minutes, its crazy they are nuts if they don't have open beta for preorders only.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

VoLaTiLe posted:

Its simply impossible for me to get a key through these key giveaways as I am always at work when they start and literally 500 keys go in 5 minutes, its crazy they are nuts if they don't have open beta for preorders only.

An 'open beta' aka paid demo appears to be 'guaranteed'*§°™ by the devs. They need to get it into a finished state beforehand though or it will hurt retention rates. Literal millions of dollars are riding on it so it's not a decision that Carbine gets to make.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So I'm coming into this pretty fresh, and I saw some talk about some classes being more of a drag than others. Is there one that's sort of "middle ground" that I can try out, and then do one of the OP dudes so it doesn't feel like poo poo when I go the other way.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Devor posted:

So I'm coming into this pretty fresh, and I saw some talk about some classes being more of a drag than others. Is there one that's sort of "middle ground" that I can try out, and then do one of the OP dudes so it doesn't feel like poo poo when I go the other way.

Medic probably

metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh
Can you discuss combat mechanics eg the stats and how they affect damage dealt/taken? Is there a gcd?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Devor posted:

Stalker and Medic are both really good. Warrior is good for some of the same reasons. The other classes have quirks or aren't as strong as early. Mainly it boils down to stationary skills hurting your ability to kite, light armor, and bugs. There are definitely more balance passes to come so you might as well play something good while it's still good unless you're some kind of MMO hipster.

metacorder posted:

Can you discuss combat mechanics eg the stats and how they affect damage dealt/taken? Is there a gcd?

There are a couple good articles on fansites that explain it well enough if you do a bit of googling. Basically there are generic attributes (moxie, finesse, etc) that contribute to stats like assault power or crit chance. Which attribute pairs with which stat varies by class.

There is a GCD and skills can be off of it.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 25, 2014

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Medic seems like The most powerful class to me right now.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

BadLlama posted:

Medic seems like The most powerful class to me right now.

Stalker is for sure - Medics are at a pretty balanced level I think - I've had far more close calls on my medic than my Esper (which is also OP at least in a soloing build)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

ruffz posted:

Unless the internal build is significantly ahead of what we got to play in the beta, I don't see how they release in ~3-4 months. NCSoft will either force out a half baked product that could have used another 3 months of development time in June, or this gets pushed back to Summer (then there is the whole avoiding WoW's expansion release time frame).

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

TyrantWD posted:

a half baked product that could have used another 3 months of development time

This is the story of every MMO released in the last ten years. They are always too eager to get them out and they need months more of polish and attention to really make them good at release.

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012
And that rush usually fully dooms anything to be F2P within a year. WoW didn't have the issue due to the only major competitor being EQ. Especially in this market a sub game that isn't highly polished is going to have a really tough time latching into the market and maintaining a solid player base.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
Anyone know how to report someone in game? ie. some abusive dickhat.

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Wet Fifty posted:

Anyone know how to report someone in game? ie. some abusive dickhat.

/ticket, Report Player.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

Unless the internal build is significantly ahead of what we got to play in the beta, I don't see how they release in ~3-4 months. NCSoft will either force out a half baked product that could have used another 3 months of development time in June, or this gets pushed back to Summer (then there is the whole avoiding WoW's expansion release time frame).

Don't forget though that the current build is literally months old. CS only release updates as entirely different builds so the current state of the closed beta is old even by its own standard and that's even before guessing the state of any internal build.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Why do I get 2 emails about Adventures more than 2 weeks after that video was released? Isn't there really any other bit of new info to present? Before opening the emails I was all excited to see what new announcement they have. Meh.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Cephid posted:

And that rush usually fully dooms anything to be F2P within a year. WoW didn't have the issue due to the only major competitor being EQ. Especially in this market a sub game that isn't highly polished is going to have a really tough time latching into the market and maintaining a solid player base.

I don't think anyone expects this game to do all that well in terms of retention. It will do a great job of catering to a small player base which is totally fine and kind of the point. The population might plummet after release, but that's pretty typical for any sub-based MMO and even more so for this game because people have completely outlandish expectations of what the game should be. The big money publishers like NCSoft and EA know that they have to sell boxes while the box-selling is good if they want to make a profit and I think part of that is because 'gamers' are so fickle and will be looking to the next big shiny thing by the time fall rolls around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I was under the impression that sub based games are usually still profitable even without huge playerbases?

• Locked thread