Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

More like neighmar, because no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Byolante posted:

For 100m even in today's market you should be expecting to get a player who can literally carry a team to victory on their own. Bale did it at Spurs and Ronaldo does it at Real and Portugal. Neymar is a hilarious bust and the ensuing idiocy involving taxes and hidden fees only makes it that much more embarassing.

firstly, there is no way you can evaluate a player after half a season.

secondly, teams like barca madrid, bayern etc can spend 200 mil on a bag of balls and it wont hurt them. The idea that 100 mil means carrying the team only works for poorer teams that dont spend big cash on tha reg

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

blue footed boobie posted:

Haha what the hell? I think Barca expected him to do more than pop up in a couple of games every season for their €117m

Nah, catalans are known for their patience, perspective and low expectations. I mean, it helps having a majority of fair weather foreign fans who lose interest when there are no shiny objects to be won.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Neymar is going to be a flop and anyone who thinks otherwise is a delusional Barca plastic. It was a bad business move, move on. Consider Neymar your equivalent of United buying Veron, so just hope one of Real or Atletico buy him for most of your initial fee.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ninpo posted:

Neymar is going to be a flop and anyone who thinks otherwise is a delusional Barca plastic. It was a bad business move, move on. Consider Neymar your equivalent of United buying Veron.

I think this is being generous because Veron didn't end up with United in court.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Ninpo posted:

Neymar is going to be a flop and anyone who thinks otherwise is a delusional Barca plastic. It was a bad business move, move on. Consider Neymar your equivalent of United buying Veron, so just hope one of Real or Atletico buy him for most of your initial fee.

lol

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

And if that wasn't sufficiently revolting:

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Voluspa posted:

And if that wasn't sufficiently revolting:

Does that last one say "Meanwhile, in England"?

If so I love it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ninpo posted:

Does that last one say "Meanwhile, in England"?

If so I love it.

Essentially, yes.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Rycalawre posted:

He's a Spurs fan. He controls the entire media...

Lol

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

TV rights chat is a good excuse to repost this awesome thing that happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWMdkGHL3-E

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I'm a big fan of Neymar and I'm convinced that he's going to be a top top class player. I'm not a Barca fan by any means, I said this long before he moved there. A lot of people has a strange thing with Neymar, he was getting a lot of abuse here during the olympics that I couldnt really understand. He's an sensational talent, one of the best in the world. The price was outrageous for such a relatively unproven player though, and it just reeks of desperation since Real Madrid was signing Bale and Barcalona had to get a marquee signing of their own. I'm not sure if if was a smart career move for him to go to Barcelona either, but time will tell.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

BWV posted:

I know its fun to make fun of expensive players but i dont see how him costing any amount of money is bad for the club. Barcelona like Madrid have unlimited war chests. If the club cant afford it a Spanish bank will help them, and if that bank fails some dude from Qatar will come do it. Besides, half of Neymar's appeal is that he's such a star in South America and other countries. And unlike that Welshmen his profile will grow significantly at the world cup.

It's bad for the club because they engaged in all sorts of shifty behavior and potentially even broke the law. That goes without saying. Barcelona don't have an unlimited war chest. If they had an unlimited war chest, they would have done this transfer the normal way, by paying regular transfer fees and having those divided among N&N, DIS, and Santos. They didn't. Instead, they ensured Neymar would sign for them by giving insane amounts of money to his father, through dubious contractual arrangements, without having to pay corresponding money to Santos or DIS. Now they have potential tax problems as well as problems with Santos. They've also had a president quit over this ordeal, and it has undoubtedly affected public perception of Neymar. It makes all the statements about how Neymar came to Barcelona for his love of the club and so forth look completely ridiculous when his father made like 50 million euros off of the sale. There are plenty of people in Barcelona who object to the notion that the club should just spend whatever, that's why there's rumbles of discontent regarding all those contract renewals / raises that Messi gets.

The Bale transfer is different, because, although it's also an insane and stupid amount of money, it's a really simple principle: the selling club wants x amount of money, Real Madrid pays x amount of money.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 26, 2014

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It's bad for the club because they engaged in all sorts of shifty behavior and potentially even broke the law. That goes without saying. Barcelona don't have an unlimited war chest. If they had an unlimited war chest, they would have done this transfer the normal way, by paying regular transfer fees and having those divided among N&N, DIS, and Santos. They didn't. Instead, they ensured Neymar would sign for them by giving insane amounts of money to his father, through dubious contractual arrangements, without having to pay corresponding money to Santos or DIS. Now they have potential tax problems as well as problems with Santos. They've also had a president quit over this ordeal, and it has undoubtedly affected public perception of Neymar. It makes all the statements about how Neymar came to Barcelona for his love of the club and so forth look completely ridiculous when his father made like 50 million euros off of the sale. There are plenty of people in Barcelona who object to the notion that the club should just spend whatever, that's why there's rumbles of discontent regarding all those contract renewals / raises that Messi gets.

The Bale transfer is different, because, although it's also an insane and stupid amount of money, it's a really simple principle: the selling club wants x amount of money, Real Madrid pays x amount of money.

I get that the fact it was done so secretively could anger Barca fans who want transparency. That makes a ton of sense to me. Is the general idea that if Rossell came out and said "we're spending over 100 million on Neymar" the club supporters would be mad? Would spending so much on a single player anger fans because it means the club is becoming ever more dependent on foreign cash and thus diluting the local/nationalist agenda the club is supposed to uphold?

Also, and I've asked this before, but why are third party ownership situations considered to be so much more unethical than regular transfers? At the end of the day you're still paying cash for the rights to sign a player. Why does it matter how many parties are involved?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

BWV posted:

I get that the fact it was done so secretively could anger Barca fans who want transparency. That makes a ton of sense to me. Is the general idea that if Rossell came out and said "we're spending over 100 million on Neymar" the club supporters would be mad? Would spending so much on a single player anger fans because it means the club is becoming ever more dependent on foreign cash and thus diluting the local/nationalist agenda the club is supposed to uphold?

I don't know if supporters would have been mad if Barcelona spent 100 million on Neymar 'the normal way', the same way that Madrid spent 100 million on Bale. The last few years have really fed into this romantic idea of the club, where coaches and players are FC Barcelona born-and-bred, where you're regularly boasting about the amount of canteranos playing in a single game, and buying Neymar for 100 million euros 'the normal way' would have seemed like the antithesis of this.

But the problem is, they didn't pay 'the normal way.' They paid in a different way, presumably so that Neymar's father would get a larger share of the total amount Barcelona were willing to pay. The anger doesn't come from the club hiding things; it comes from the fact that the things they hid are unethical.

quote:

Also, and I've asked this before, but why are third party ownership situations considered to be so much more unethical than regular transfers? At the end of the day you're still paying cash for the rights to sign a player. Why does it matter how many parties are involved?

Because the third party is usually only interested in making a profit. In a regular situation, a club has an asset (the player) which they can either play (as the whole point of a club is to have a team playing football), or sell for a transfer fee which can then be reinvested on other players who will play (or in the general running of the club). A third party is just interested in making a profit off of a future sale, and so the most common stereotype associated to third-party ownership is 'great player makes a weird transfer almost wholly unrelated to sport.'

It's just understood that a club can charge whatever they want, and that's the price of doing business. But here it wasn't Santos charging a ludicrous amount, it was Neymar's father. Neymar's father has made more from this deal than most Barcelona make in their entire time there. And for what? for being Neymar's father?

Now, I understand that for Neymar, it's probably preferable for his father to make all this money instead of Santos. That's completely understandable. But it looks like they engineered him making the money instead of Santos in really dubious ways. That's not really that cool.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don't know if supporters would have been mad if Barcelona spent 100 million on Neymar 'the normal way', the same way that Madrid spent 100 million on Bale. The last few years have really fed into this romantic idea of the club, where coaches and players are FC Barcelona born-and-bred, where you're regularly boasting about the amount of canteranos playing in a single game, and buying Neymar for 100 million euros 'the normal way' would have seemed like the antithesis of this.

But the problem is, they didn't pay 'the normal way.' They paid in a different way, presumably so that Neymar's father would get a larger share of the total amount Barcelona were willing to pay. The anger doesn't come from the club hiding things; it comes from the fact that the things they hid are unethical.

Because the third party is usually only interested in making a profit. In a regular situation, a club has an asset (the player) which they can either play (as the whole point of a club is to have a team playing football), or sell for a transfer fee which can then be reinvested on other players who will play (or in the general running of the club). A third party is just interested in making a profit off of a future sale, and so the most common stereotype associated to third-party ownership is 'great player makes a weird transfer almost wholly unrelated to sport.'

It's just understood that a club can charge whatever they want, and that's the price of doing business. But here it wasn't Santos charging a ludicrous amount, it was Neymar's father. Neymar's father has made more from this deal than most Barcelona make in their entire time there. And for what? for being Neymar's father?

Now, I understand that for Neymar, it's probably preferable for his father to make all this money instead of Santos. That's completely understandable. But it looks like they engineered him making the money instead of Santos in really dubious ways. That's not really that cool.

Nicely summed up. Again.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Ramos' face when Bale scored against Elche.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I kept on trying to write a counter post suggesting that Barcelona like any club is simply concerned with increasing revenue, building a better product, and reaching more and more foreign consumers. And as such, the third party ownership shouldn't be a big deal because all teams are just money grubbing capitalist entities.

However, like Pedro said, regardless of this truth a key aspect of Barcelona's appeal is their own mythologizing/history/propaganda as club that is greater than a business. Barcelona makes money by arguing they dont care about money. Their brand identity is so attached to discourses of authenticity/integrity/anti-capitalism that I can now finally see why this Neymar thing has become such a poo poo show.

So thanks team for helping me get my head around this. U guyz r the best.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This story from ESPN.com is fantastically absurd

quote:

Brazilian agent Wagner Ribeiro has claimed Neymar is “the cheapest player that Barcelona have ever signed” as a result of his low salary -- despite suggesting the player had personally received the controversial 40 million euro “penalty clause.”

Ribeiro represented Neymar earlier in his career and was involved in an attempt to push through a move to Chelsea as far back as summer 2010. Until now, the FIFA agent had not been prominently connected with the deal that took the player from Santos to Barca, but he dined with Neymar Sr. and club president Josep Maria Bartomeu on Monday night and has now spoken about the financial details of the transfer.

“Neymar is the cheapest player that Barcelona have ever signed,” he told Spanish news agency EFE. “He cost 17.1 million euros [from Santos] and was on the radar of all the great clubs. He was cheaper than all the players who came up from the youth system.”

Ribeiro said that, in his view, the transfer had been very cleverly put together, although his explanation for the various components of the deal -- which remains the subject of a legal investigation in a Spanish court amid claims of “simulated contracts” -- appears to differ from the official explanation issued by the club.

Ribeiro continued: “I will explain -- the 40 million added to the 54 million over five years [in wages] makes a total of 94 million. That represents 18.8 a year. Taking away taxes of 56 percent on the net figure, 8.27 million is left a year, which is a much lower salary than he would earn at other clubs, which offered 12 million net.

“For me, Neymar could have signed for another club earning much more than he gets now, but he wanted Barcelona and that is how the operation was fixed, although it financially damaged the kid. This is the best structured operation in which I have participated in my professional life.”

Barca have said that the 17.1 million euro payment to Santos represented the transfer fee and that an additional 40 million paid to N&N -- a company owned by Neymar Sr. -- was a “penalty clause.” The club announced that additional side deals -- for services such as scouting, marketing and development work signed with both Santos and N&N -- took the total to 86.2 million euros.

The explanation offered by Barca added: “The total salary cost to the club is 56.7 million euros [gross], which is divided into three concepts: 2.7 million euros as agent commission [five percent, rather than the 10 or 15 percent paid by other clubs], a 10 million euro signing-on fee and a guaranteed salary of 44 million euros.”

However, Ribeiro’s claim that Neymar Jr. will effectively be paid 18.8 million euros a year for five years appears to contradict Barca’s position that the 40 million euro payment is not due to the player but rather a business-to-business “penalty” incurred because the Brazil international moved to the Camp Nou a year earlier than had been agreed.

Barca’s hopes of reclaiming the extra 13.6 million euros that they have paid to the tax authorities are dependent on establishing that the 40 million payment was not a means of augmenting payments to Neymar.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

BWV posted:

a key aspect of Barcelona's appeal is their own mythologizing/history/propaganda as club that is greater than a business

It quite simply is. A bunch of sandy cunts on an internet forum may not think so. Who cares.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lladre posted:

It quite simply is. A bunch of sandy cunts on an internet forum may not think so. Who cares.

When I think of paragons of the beautiful game I think of a pack of tax dodging criminals who sold out to a slave state to win the world cup bid for them.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Lladre posted:

Are you going to support Barcelona when the morons at the Catalan independence movement get their wish and Barcelona has to play Espanyol every week because no one wants to join the Catalan league?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Byolante posted:

When I think of paragons of the beautiful game I think of a pack of tax dodging criminals who sold out to a slave state to win the world cup bid for them.

It would be pretty cool if you made any posts in here that weren't about your weird hate for Barcelona.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
I love Barcelona. It reminds me of why people think football clubs are just glorified cults.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Lladre posted:

This used to be true before the club sold its soul like every other club.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Suqit posted:

It would be pretty cool if you made any posts in here that weren't about your weird hate for Barcelona.

I posted about Osasuna beating Atletico

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Byolante posted:

I posted about Osasuna beating Atletico

Unfortunately that one post is overwhelmingly drowned out by your ridiculous over the top hatred of Barcelona.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Football is dead, all clubs have sold out. All clubs are dodgy and greedy and cheat. Just embrace it and watch some dudes kick balls.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Suqit posted:

Unfortunately that one post is overwhelmingly drowned out by your ridiculous over the top hatred of Barcelona.

I am hardly the only person in here berating Barcelona. Would you prefer it to be a whole lot of barca plastics seeing who can fit mes que un dick furthest down their throat?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Byolante posted:

I am hardly the only person in here berating Barcelona. Would you prefer it to be a whole lot of barca plastics seeing who can fit mes que un dick furthest down their throat?

No but I think it would be pretty cool if instead of everyone tripping over themselves to prove that they hate Barcelona more than the next poster they posted about the teams they supposedly support. That would make for a pretty cool La Liga thread imo.

Maybe talk about the actual sport, just brainstorming out loud here.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Suqit who should replace Tata after this season? Is Rafinha a good player? Luis Enrique looks good in a suit, but he isn't as handsome as Michael Laudrup.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Chas McGill posted:

Suqit who should replace Tata after this season? Is Rafinha a good player? Luis Enrique looks good in a suit, but he isn't as handsome as Michael Laudrup.

I think it would be incredible to have Laudrup back. I still hold out hope for Tata. I really like the fact that he actually rotates the squad. I think it will prove smart as Barcelona get deeper in to all competitions. They have a history of starting to look poo poo this time of the year. It's pretty cool having some decent teams in the league this year. I've always had a soft spot for Sociedad. I hope they can hold on to Griezmann for at least another year.

I have hardly seen Rafinha play at all, but when I did he really didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

My role in this thread is to talk about Keylor Navas

http://www.ligabbva.com/2544_liga-bbva/2430810_keylor-navas-es-el-mejor-portero-de-la-liga-bbva.html

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

I love your posts about him. I enjoy watching him play and pay closer attention to him now.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Byolante posted:

he would actually prefer that, yes

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
mes que un dick would make for a pretty nice av.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Suqit posted:

No but I think it would be pretty cool if instead of everyone tripping over themselves to prove that they hate Barcelona

I'm sorry, did you miss the part where that is the entire sports dialogue in the country? polarization of football as a whole. I'd understand if non-spanish supporters who've never been to the country, have a hard time grasping the cultural duopoly plaguing the current football conversation.

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Are you going to support Barcelona when the morons at the Catalan independence movement get their wish and Barcelona has to play Espanyol every week because no one wants to join the Catalan league?

It would not be any more or less interesting than the actual liga where the only thing we talk about is the Madrid vs Barcelona games as the only relevant and interesting happenings.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Voluspa posted:

I'm sorry, did you miss the part where that is the entire sports dialogue in the country? polarization of football as a whole. I'd understand if non-spanish supporters who've never been to the country, have a hard time grasping the cultural duopoly plaguing the current football conversation.

I enjoy reading about the issues with the league, and certainly like knowing about everyone hating that two teams gobble up all the money, the history behind it, the reasons for it and possible solutions. I think they are valid topics of conversation. I think its a good thing knowing more about the whole Neymar transaction and what really happened. That is all interesting stuff that certainly affects the league.

But there is a big difference between someone who follows the league having these discussions and voicing an opinion and someone who cares nothing about Spanish soccer only posting about hating Barcelona, or any team for that matter. But the focus is always Barcelona.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Suqit posted:

cares nothing about Spanish soccer

Irrelevant, much of the real (if any) consequences of thisNeymar's debacle in particular affect no one outside of the spanish people, but peopleforeigners on both camps are equally invested in the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I hate Barcelona the most.

• Locked thread