Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
A store near me has a used SNES for $40. No discoloration, but it does look like they leave it on all day. Anyway, good price, right? Cheaper than anything I'm seeing on Amazon. Just wondering if I'd kick myself later on for not buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I still plan to buy 6 Game Boy Four Player Adaptors, 16 Game Boys, 15 Game Link Cables, and 16 copies of Faceball 2000 one day, so as to play a full 16 player deathmatch in it.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 25, 2014

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I absolutely cannot imagine that all the games would actually stay synchronized over that kind of setup. The GB link port is extra lovely with an extra lovely non-protocol.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

parasyte posted:

I absolutely cannot imagine that all the games would actually stay synchronized over that kind of setup. The GB link port is extra lovely with an extra lovely non-protocol.

It's a port of MIDI Maze for the Atari ST, which ran up to 16 players over using the MIDI ports on the computers as a networking setup.

Some people managed to get together a 9 player game of it and didn't have trouble actually playing it: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=23613.0

It was supposed to be 16 players but 7 people either didn't show up, or didn't actually have a copy of Faceball 2000 and a Game Boy with them. :v:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
my napa valley cassette holder came in. I'll have to snag a pick once i get my genesis games set up in there.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Looks like the ol' Super Game Boy will carry the day since it's like $10 on eBay and it gives me an excuse to buy more stuff. :retrogames:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Someone back in the 90's probably mad scientist-style built a Pokémon cloning rig like this, complete with Jacob's Ladders and flasks containing bubbling green and fuschia liquids.

Does it count if I made a DMG parallel port cable I could use with my computer to transfer from inside an emulator

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I received the PS2 RGB cable today and tested the Mini. It looks like the Mini is at fault, the RGB input no longer works. It's just like the SNES. Audio works with all cables, the cable with the sync-stripper shows black picture, the one without shows no_input. :(

It's not a complete write-off though. Using S-Video for the SNES still results in an excellent image and I have also been using the device as a HDMI switcher. In case anyone didn't know, there are config options to set the HDMI ports to passthrough, useful in the situation your TV has limited HDMI ports.

Also, the English remote overlay arrived from fatpat. It's great, thanks a bunch! Here's a slightly blurry photo with terrible lighting:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

McCracAttack posted:

Looks like the ol' Super Game Boy will carry the day since it's like $10 on eBay and it gives me an excuse to buy more stuff. :retrogames:

Get Donkey Kong '94 if you don't have it. Hell, get it if you do have it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

overdriveGTO posted:

I need a CRT. Can anyone comment on a Sony PVM vs BVM? Specifically the BVM-20F1U vs the PVM-2030.

TheRedEye posted:

If all you want is a monitor that displays 480i or 240p signals in the most beautiful picture possible, you can't go wrong with a PVM. I've had a 2530 for about ten years and we've formed a strange emotional bond.

I'm really curious about BVM but its 800-900 vertical lines might brush a little too uncomfortably into "too perfect" for old console games. The scanlines are pure black and prominent. You can read up on it here:

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/456719-best-crt-retro-games/

I do like that you can create profiles on a BVM, though. You can find the perfect picture for each console (using things like test pattern homebrew ROMs) and save them.

Oh hey, I should weigh in here I guess since I have a Sony BVM-20F1U. The BVMs are as good as people say. The scan lines aren't too overpowering and the picture is pretty much fantastic for retro gaming. With all that said I don't know if they're really worth the extra cost over a PVM. Some negative marks for the BVM would be:
  • They are fiddly as all gently caress! A billion options and menus mean that even simple tasks like connecting something to a composite input will send you scrambling for the manual. They have expansion cards in them for god's sake! Big ones! Want to hook up a console via composite? Well, you'll have to configure an input, specify which card, specify which connector, specify NTSC or PAL... oh wait, the BVM doesn't come with an NTSC decoder installed. Off to eBay! I would say that with a BVM everything is possible but nothing is easy.
  • They are huge. Ever seen a TV that's deeper than it is wide? You can thank the above mentioned expansion cards for that.
  • They are heavy. Over 100 lbs. for a 20" TV. The built in handles on the side should have been a clue.
  • Overscan becomes an issue once again. You can't configure the overscan on a per-input basis which means you have to try and find a good middle ground for all your consoles. And there isn't one. You'll either be cutting stuff off from your Playstation picture or seeing a bunch of extra crud on the edge from your Genesis. Though now that I think on it this isn't really a BVM specific issue. Rather, this is the one issue that got worse going from a Framemeister back to a CRT.
If I had it all to do over again I might try a nicer PVM first. The return on investment from a BVM might be kinda slim.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2014

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks that's very helpful. They do have PVMs with the same resolution so maybe I'll try that first.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Discount Viscount posted:

Also, in case you weren't aware R-Type Tactics got a Japanese-only sequel, Operation Bitter Chocolate, but prices for that are pretty nuts right now.

OK, it was Command I was thinking of. Forgot Tactics was JP only.

Speaking of prices being nuts, when the hell did the price for the Sega CD version of Final Fight spike? I was at a local game store today and they had a copy for $65. I thought that was dumb but when I looked it up on eBay complete copies were going for close to that, with disc only going for $25-$30.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

ATTENTION, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA :retrogames: GOONS

http://www.sc3videogames.com

April 26th, a Saturday. Held at The Last Arcade On The Planet in Santa Ana, California.

For those of you who haven't heard of this event but are interested:
  • Over 40 Coin-Op Arcade Machines and a handful of Pinball joints
  • Almost every goddamn home console/computer from the Odyssey to the PS1/Saturn/Jaguar, most with multicarts!
  • If you want to play 10-player Saturn Bomberman, show the gently caress up
  • Swap Meet is ballin as gently caress
  • Raffle hosted by GameGavel where everybody goes home a winner with something, because Mike Kennedy is rad
  • Yes, they even had Amigas and C64s at the last event
  • Even if you just show up and play Tempest for a half-hour, a $5 donation at the door lets you experience the joys of retrogames with like-minded nerds.

Because he seems to somehow miss the opportunity every year, I'm gonna spell this out for 8-Bit Miniboss:

Bitch, if you wanna go, I will shove your goon rear end into my Prius. The fact that you don't have a car/don't drive is no excuse. You have 2 months' warning. Do the thing.

Do the thing with the :retrogames:, and RSVP. If you RSVP but aren't able to show up, no big whoop. But if you're at all remotely interested in some serious-rear end video games, do it harrrd.

Also yes, this is where I won a motherfucking Vectrex at a raffle last November. It's happening again. It's time to get ready. Get ready for :retrogames:. :dance:

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Install Windows posted:

I'd just hate for the official reproduction SNES/Genesis etc to be on the level of like the Majesco Genesis 3 where addons stop working and some games can't run.

Whenever this comes up I feel the need to mention that the addon incompatibility was an intentional cost-cutting measure rather than a technical failure on Majesco's part, modders have been able to restore function of all 3 addons, although it is an extreme pain in the rear end for the Sega CD.

The games that can't run are the addon chip one (fixed by modding) and one game (Gargoyles?) that used an illegal 68k operation that had been fixed in new manufacture 68ks when the Genesis 3 went into production, which is obviously unfixable.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

not a great pic, but it works pretty well.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ambitious Spider posted:

That's pretty much perfect. I need to start looking for one of those.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Asbrandt posted:

Whenever this comes up I feel the need to mention that the addon incompatibility was an intentional cost-cutting measure rather than a technical failure on Majesco's part, modders have been able to restore function of all 3 addons, although it is an extreme pain in the rear end for the Sega CD.

The games that can't run are the addon chip one (fixed by modding) and one game (Gargoyles?) that used an illegal 68k operation that had been fixed in new manufacture 68ks when the Genesis 3 went into production, which is obviously unfixable.

Yeah I'm just saying, I don't want new official consoles to come out and then immediately need modding to use things.

Though it brings to mind, an official repro Genesis system could come out that fully integrated genesis/32x/cd functionality and just need a single power adapter and a single set of a/v cables coming out. That'd be awesome, especially with not worrying about the 32x connection getting loose.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

ATTENTION, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA :retrogames: GOONS

http://www.sc3videogames.com

April 26th, a Saturday. Held at The Last Arcade On The Planet in Santa Ana, California.

For those of you who haven't heard of this event but are interested:
  • Over 40 Coin-Op Arcade Machines and a handful of Pinball joints
  • Almost every goddamn home console/computer from the Odyssey to the PS1/Saturn/Jaguar, most with multicarts!
  • If you want to play 10-player Saturn Bomberman, show the gently caress up
  • Swap Meet is ballin as gently caress
  • Raffle hosted by GameGavel where everybody goes home a winner with something, because Mike Kennedy is rad
  • Yes, they even had Amigas and C64s at the last event
  • Even if you just show up and play Tempest for a half-hour, a $5 donation at the door lets you experience the joys of retrogames with like-minded nerds.

Because he seems to somehow miss the opportunity every year, I'm gonna spell this out for 8-Bit Miniboss:

Bitch, if you wanna go, I will shove your goon rear end into my Prius. The fact that you don't have a car/don't drive is no excuse. You have 2 months' warning. Do the thing.

Do the thing with the :retrogames:, and RSVP. If you RSVP but aren't able to show up, no big whoop. But if you're at all remotely interested in some serious-rear end video games, do it harrrd.

Also yes, this is where I won a motherfucking Vectrex at a raffle last November. It's happening again. It's time to get ready. Get ready for :retrogames:. :dance:

Man, you callin' me out?

I already RSVP'd long before you posted. :parrot:

Edit: Probably what's gonna happen, no guarantees:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 26, 2014

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Install Windows posted:

Yeah I'm just saying, I don't want new official consoles to come out and then immediately need modding to use things.

Fair point, the Wii Mini is already an example of what that would look like.

However I don't think we'd ever see a re-release of old Nintendo consoles, the Famicom only ended in 2004 because the Ricoh parts ran dry, and I'd expect something similar of the SNES' parts to have happened by now since that one ended much sooner.

EDIT: The closest I'd ever expect to see happen is Nintendo C&Ding some emulator box or fpga-reproduction-with-modern-video project and then pulling them onboard as an official product or something.

Asbrandt fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 26, 2014

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

McCracAttack posted:

Super Gameboy chat!

I just got these in the mail.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Genesis not CIB?! MY EYES

Although it makes me feel better that you are not hunting for my precious Renovation CIB lovelies.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

al-azad posted:

Casual: Game Boy Player
So Retro: Super Game Boy
Original Gangsta: Game Boy Color/Pocket
Get on my loving level: Original grey brick Game Boy. Batteries only. Hold down+A after every attack.

Wait, what?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Wait, what?

There were weird schoolyard rumors back in the day about holding down random buttons at odd times to make things more successful. I always heard it as down+a would make you more likely to catch a Pokemon after you threw your Pokeball. Or maybe it made Lara Croft take her shirt off. I forget.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 26, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

Wait, what?

Aw man, you don't know? Hold down+A as you attack to inflict more damage. Up+A as your pokeball shakes to increase the capture rate. Or maybe it's the other way around? I think you have to time the button presses to the shaking of the pokeball.

Seriously, Pokemon Red/Blue has to be the #1 source of fake tips and myths out of any video game ever created. Take a relatively in depth portable RPG, target the 8-12 year old market, and release it in the days of the internet's infancy where the only places to learn about a game were some guy's Geocities page or RPG Classics shrines and you have a source of a ton of bullshit on the level of "My dad works at Nintendo."

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

al-azad posted:

Aw man, you don't know? Hold down+A as you attack to inflict more damage. Up+A as your pokeball shakes to increase the capture rate. Or maybe it's the other way around? I think you have to time the button presses to the shaking of the pokeball.

Seriously, Pokemon Red/Blue has to be the #1 source of fake tips and myths out of any video game ever created. Take a relatively in depth portable RPG, target the 8-12 year old market, and release it in the days of the internet's infancy where the only places to learn about a game were some guy's Geocities page or RPG Classics shrines and you have a source of a ton of bullshit on the level of "My dad works at Nintendo."

I always loved the in-depth pages of information about how to revive Aeris.

http://www.geocities.ws/grandmaster_uk_99/aerisres.htm

The long rear end one is great hahaha.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I think we have our new leaner and meaner OP.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shibawanko posted:

Maybe it's not quite what you're looking for, but I always loved the Asterix & Obelix game for SNES. It's more like a platformer but you get to beat up romans and stuff a lot, and it's single plane. Totally different atmosphere though, of course.

The arcade version of that game is probably the best side scrolling beat 'em up there is, unfortunately that one's not single plane though.

RodShaft posted:

Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan for Gameboy 1. I loved it as a kid, and it's held up fairly well. B&W though if you can stand that.

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

It's a bit tricky to give a definitive list because the line between these types of brawlers and just 2-d platformers is difficult to draw sometimes. Some games that I feel like you might want to look at are, in no particular order:
Bad Dudes/Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja (NES or Arcade)
Crude Buster/Two Crude Dudes (Genesis or Arcade)
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (SNES)
Shank (PC/Xbox 360/PS3 I think)
X-Men Mutant Apocalypse (SNES)

I think guilty gear isuka has a goofy brawler mode as well, and maybe guilty gear judgement as well?'

There's also Phantom Fighter for NES, but I'm pretty sure that falls under the games that suck category.

Another game you might want to look at is Shatterhand. It definitely falls more towards the 2-d platformer roll, but you get to punch the hell out of everyone so it's close.

parasyte posted:

NES Robocop might fit the bill. You don't get to jump, though. Some might say it sucks but I loved the hell out of that lovely game my whole childhood so they are objectively wrong.

Thanks, duderinos! I'll be checking out all of these games soon (aside from Bad Dudes/Two Crude Dudes, which I'm already familiar with).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I was playing a bit of Pokemon in the past few days and these stupid rumors are still out there. People were legitimately saying that you had to press a certain button combination at just the right moment in order to insure the capture. Of course, none of them could agree what the buttons were and what the timing was...

FWIW, the last thing for me to do is defeat the Elite 4 and then I'll have completed my first Pokemon game. I'll be trying to do that tonight...

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
So this is a thing. Now if only somebody could just do this for the first gen, optical drive based systems....

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Random Stranger posted:

I was playing a bit of Pokemon in the past few days and these stupid rumors are still out there. People were legitimately saying that you had to press a certain button combination at just the right moment in order to insure the capture. Of course, none of them could agree what the buttons were and what the timing was...

No that's real. It just involves TASing the game, because every button input influences other parts of the game's memory and with perfect inputs you can guarantee anything you want through the RNG setup used.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

There were weird schoolyard rumors back in the day about holding down random buttons at odd times to make things more successful. I always heard it as down+a would make you more likely to catch a Pokemon after you threw your Pokeball. Or maybe it made Lara Croft take her shirt off. I forget.

al-azad posted:

When Pokemon came out, I was in high school. I didn't own a portable system until my GBASP that I got after college. I didn't play Pokemon until I tried HeartGold when it came out, and I stopped playing at the last fight against the rear end in a top hat who's like thirty levels higher than you at the top of the mountain because gently caress grinding another thirty levels.

e:

Jesus, that's more than I paid for my motorcycle, which is my only mode of transportation. Also more than any of my musical gear, by a lot.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 26, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

When Pokemon came out, I was in high school. I didn't own a portable system until my GBASP that I got after college. I didn't play Pokemon until I tried HeartGold when it came out, and I stopped playing at the last fight against the rear end in a top hat who's like thirty levels higher than you at the top of the mountain because gently caress grinding another thirty levels.

e:

Jesus, that's more than I paid for my motorcycle, which is my only mode of transportation. Also more than any of my musical gear, by a lot.

You missed out. Let me tell you how to get Mew. I also know the right waterfall for Lara's shirt to fall off. And Akuma in Resident Evil 2? I've got the goods.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Thanks, duderinos! I'll be checking out all of these games soon (aside from Bad Dudes/Two Crude Dudes, which I'm already familiar with).

I assume you've played the awesome Ninja Warriors port on Sega CD? Translated in English even.

If you want to go a bit more obscure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USwHcNv2H7Q

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

When Pokemon came out, I was in high school.
Sorry, I didn't intend any "guff" in my reply. There really where just a bunch of school yard Pokemon rumors and that's what the down+a thing was a reference to.

Allen Wren posted:

Welcome to the fantastical life of Jeff Gerstman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N3nTf5s_zo&t=26s

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

al-azad posted:

You missed out. Let me tell you how to get Mew.

I did this in Pokemon Yellow through this glitch. There's no doubt that stuff like Missingno helped lend legitimacy to any rumor.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Allen Wren posted:

That was his stack he was taking to California Extreme, I think. You have to take cash to those things since arcade cabinets are spendy. Think he reported back having bought nothing though.

Better safe than sorry!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

I assume you've played the awesome Ninja Warriors port on Sega CD? Translated in English even.

If you want to go a bit more obscure...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USwHcNv2H7Q

I have indeed, as well as Ninja Warriors Again which might just be the best game of its type. Man, Natsume knew their poo poo back then, before they turned into a Harvest Moon factory.

Kaze Kiri is another one I forgot, thanks for the reminder. No way in hell am I gonna buy a real copy, though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cloks posted:

There's no doubt that stuff like Missingno helped lend legitimacy to any rumor.

Ah, see that's a very good point and it bears remembering.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

You missed out. Let me tell you how to get Mew. I also know the right waterfall for Lara's shirt to fall off. And Akuma in Resident Evil 2? I've got the goods.

He's not lying. Check out these hot shots that al-azad helped me get!

Ugh. That's something I didn't want in my Internet search history...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Asbrandt posted:

You have to post more about this.

I though the Genesis 3 didn't even have the physical slots for those add-ons??

Ambitious Spider posted:

Also fits Famicom games perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Before I die I want to see a Sega system that takes Game Cards, SMS carts, Genesis and 32x carts, and Sega CD/Saturn/Dreamcast CDs, with full compatability. Would require some badass multi-mode CD drive and a front-end menu system.

The fact that you can't even have 8 and 16-bit all-in-one without modding is disappointing. :smith:

• Locked thread