Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Don't worry, Bernice. You're much too mean-spirited to make it as a counselor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You have my heart for ever and ever.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Scuba masks are for when you pitch face first into a puddle so that joke makes perfect sense.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

SubNat posted:

....somebody should go ahead and buy this, I mean really.

Who wouldn't want that snark on your side?

I've been away from the thread for a few days, so I kinda skimmed quickly. I might have missed it, so before I pull the trigger has anyone already snagged this?

edit: also, caption suggestions? I was thinking of leaving the title blank and letting the image speak for its self.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I was wondering why there was a mummy in that third comic.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

Well there's something I never expected to see in this thread, much less in 2014.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Borden fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 26, 2014

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Tonight is a night of wonders. :allears:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Tonight is GLORIOUS.

I totally missed that, Random Ferret, you got me, and then Axe maniac and Borden, my god...this day should be screencapped for the op of the next thread.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

That's some earring Mr. Hog's got on there.

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

Dragongem posted:

Argh, I want to like Rip Haywire but the needless dropping of restaraunt, pop culture, and et. al. references winds up annoying me every time.

So that's what it is! I've always found Rip Haywire borderline unreadable because there's all this weird dialogue that I have no idea what they're talking about, and almost no explanation as to what's actually happening. So it's not written in code, just Family Guy. Got it.

Comics (February 8th 2007)

I just want to take a moment to say, gently caress registration titles. Heaven help the people who lose those in a house fire or something.

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

Hahaha. Why am I not surprised that this has never come up before.

Apparently Polaroid is shorthand for photography in Korean too.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Because it's the economical and thus most boring option. There's a direct correlation between the two.

Retail

Yeah, man, don't get on Cooper's bad side or he might fill your car with shaving cream or stuff your car keys in the vending machine or something. Also this strip has gotten incredibly boring without Josh or Mina around. I can't believe it took months of buildup to get to this and we're probably in for the long haul before anything actually happens.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

You still have a couple more old filters to burn through.

Dustin

I have to agree. Why the heck would any city build a new library in this day and age?

On the Fastrack

I don't see why that app would be rejected. It's completely useless but that doesn't stop a million other apps from making the grade.

Safe Havens

She gave you permission to leave. You didn't have to jailbreak out other than scoring style points.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

I have to agree. Why the heck would any city build a new library in this day and age?

In the case of my city it was because the old one was flooded out, rendering the building unsafe and most of the books destroyed, and people clambered for a new one. It's really loving nice and looks like something from a 70s scifi movie.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

It may come as a shock but there are people who do not have the ability to grab a Kindle and load it full of books. Libraries are great because they are accessible to any economic class. Support your local library.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Seriously, speaking as a guy currently in a Master's of Library and Information Science program, there are many reasons we haven't dropped the "Library" from it yet. Libraries are extremely important due to their accessibility to anyone--e-readers and other technology are still prohibitively expensive to a LOT of people. Libraries also provide Internet services to anyone, which since that's still considered a luxury for some reason means they're the only way a LOT of people can get online.

We're never going to have a completely paperless society, because the book as a device and a concept is a far more effective conveyor of information than people give it credit for. It's cheap to make, easy to use, non-proprietary in design. What's more, many books CAN'T be digitized because of copyright laws. Some older books could be digitized but the process is likely to be harmful to them, though that's not true in the majority of cases. I'd have to pull out my textbooks from last semester to get into the full nitty-gritty, I lost a LOT of information over winter break, but the long and the short of it is that the library is a completely invaluable public institution, particularly in terms of providing means of access to knowledge and learning to those who can't afford to be privately taught. Hell, to those who can, too!

EDIT: Moreover, the library as a place acts as a social hub as much as it does an intellectual one--lots of people interact in libraries because they're a logical place for people of all stripes to go to. If you want an example, just go to any public library and watch how the place moves for a day. There's also the fact that information in a library will drop off at a much slower rate than information in electronic sources will. Some books have been on library shelves for fifty years--the Nook has been around for under five and might not last much longer. For an Internet example, archives can be deleted, people miss their server payments, and sometimes whole sites disappear. The Wayback Machine can't archive all of that (not that I think that's how it should be!), and inevitably there's going to be information loss.

DOUBLE EDIT: That got a little out of hand in the first draft. Sorry; I get kind of passionate about libraries.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 26, 2014

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Nothing to worry about, they just replaced the tube t.v. set with a flat panel.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

This is the same person who conspired to relay useless information during her spy assignment just so she could keep meeting up with her P.O.W. boyfriend.

"Okay, but the only time I saw one of these shows performed, it was with a donkey."

Piranha Club

Well, at least Brooke finally has the right year.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I have a reader, but I much prefer paper because the type is generally bigger and I hate how readers will abruptly jump a page if you click too fast. I realize this is probably a very "old person" post for a twentysomething, but it's true.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Where's that one Hi and Lois?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr. Maltose posted:

It may come as a shock but there are people who do not have the ability to grab a Kindle and load it full of books. Libraries are great because they are accessible to any economic class. Support your local library.
Also a state of the art blacksmith would basically be just any modern metalworking industry, of which we build plenty.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Where's that one Hi and Lois?

Still one of the dumbest newspaper strips I have ever seen. I mean, it's like a Kelly cartoon. All that's missing is the crying Statue of Liberty.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Nice left handed handshake. Power move, Coop, keep the new guy disoriented.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Do you also support print newspapers?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Midnight Moth posted:

Don't be a smug elitist.

Librarychat, I wish my local library was open on weekends or outside office hours because I just can't make it in at any point, unfortunately.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Pidmon posted:

Don't be a smug elitist.
I wasn't trying to be, but everything he said could be used as an argument to support propping up print newspapers so I was curious if he also supported that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Someone told Piccolo and she said "Oh, so she does. Huh!" and Tina kept her bangs.

Rina Piccolo posted:

Over the years a handful of readers have written me to ask why Tina looks sad. She never smiles, they write, She looks despondent, or worried. What’s wrong, people say, Is she depressed?

No, Tina’s not depressed — no more than any other person. When I started the strip I didn’t know a lot about her, but I did know what I didn’t want her to be. I didn’t want my main character to be sappy and sickeningly sweet. I wanted to write her as a girl who had real-world traits who just happened to be nice in a normal, non-mushy way. I gave Tina a few of my own traits, and many others that I myself am not fortunate to have (for one, I’m way less tolerant than she is!)

Also over the years, I’ve analyzed the smile matter and made a discovery that may explain Tina’s “sad look”. It’s the character’s design — how she’s drawn — that I believe is causing Tina to look less cheery than what she may be feeling below the surface. What I hadn’t anticipated was the effect of how I designed Tina’s hair — in particular, her bangs. (This will be a good example of how a few lines can alter a character’s expression.) Look at these sketches:

The hair bangs are drawn downwards at the same angle that you’d use to draw a “worried eyebrow” expression. So when there is no clear smile drawn on her face, and I need her to be in a neutral expression, like in sketch #2, then the result is that she looks slightly worried, or, you might say, even sad.

I never anticipated this. The thing is, I don’t want Tina to be smiling in every situation — that would be sappy — and so many times she wears the expression you see in sketch #2, which gives her the look people are asking about.

It’s amazing what a couple of small ink lines can do. They’re capable of changing a reader’s perception about what a character is feeling. Now that puts a smile on my face. Isn’t this stuff great?

So yeah, she is absolutely aware of the problem and has acknowledged it, but won't do anything about it because... :shrug:

Probably Magic posted:

I have a reader, but I much prefer paper because the type is generally bigger and I hate how readers will abruptly jump a page if you click too fast. I realize this is probably a very "old person" post for a twentysomething, but it's true.

What sort of e-reader doesn't let you adjust the text size?

Andy Capp

It probably doesn't help that he just ordered "cocktails" rather than something specific.

Crankshaft

Death is really dragging this out.

Moose and Molly

If the staff at a pet shop stop paying attention for even a moment, the animals will just walk right out. They're not locked up or contained in any way.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Midnight Moth posted:

I wasn't trying to be, but everything he said could be used as an argument to support propping up print newspapers so I was curious if he also supported that.
The government gives papers out for free now? :confused:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Zereth posted:

The government gives papers out for free now? :confused:
It could be if it were nationalized.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Midnight Moth posted:

We're reading Everett True and Out Our Way in this thread; let's talk about that in 80 years and see if we can still dig up Heavenly Nostrils and Chief Dharma.

Dustin is dumb and makes dumb points, news at 11. For one thing Meg or whatever her name is can probably sign up for ebook loaning right from her Generic Tablet Device without so much as getting up from her chair (haha a joke she is a teen and therefore reads only Facebook and Buzzfeed).

Aardmania posted:

Miyamoto Musashi and Juliet

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Midnight Moth posted:

Only if you wilfully ignore the completely different societal functions those two things serve, one that is dimly graspable by the fact that a library often contains newspapers but a newspaper never contains libraries.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

It's so much worse than that. I don't need to go to the library to check out a book. I just download the app. I can have 75 books out at a time, and I don't have to leave my bed.

But I take the bus to the library because the Seattle Central Public Library is loving boss. I could spend days in the map room alone.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I just cannot understand that people do not enjoy being around and browsing books. You can't be at home all the time, so if you have some free time between errands why NOT look at books?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I just cannot understand that people do not enjoy being around and browsing books. You can't be at home all the time, so if you have some free time between errands why NOT look at books?

See, I don't understand people who like books as things. To me a book is just a container for words. I don't care what the container is, except in that I want the most convenient form available. Usually that's an ebook, because I have a Kindle, a phone, a laptop and a desktop, so I can read it wherever I happen to be on whatever device is handy. I like browsing books on Amazon or Goodreads, because it's really comprehensive and convenient. Actually going to a library or book shop takes longer, is less convenient, and has a far smaller selection.

I have nothing against printed books, other than the fact that I almost always have a better option available.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

My Lovely Horse posted:

We're reading Everett True and Out Our Way in this thread; let's talk about that in 80 years and see if we can still dig up Heavenly Nostrils and Chief Dharma.

That reminds me, uh, you might want to save the Dharmas yourselves if you want to keep them, because sometimes the computer I use gets wiped and they're all gone. Right now, for example, I only have them back to #1065. Give it a couple months and those originals will probably be dead too. The original translation files I mean, given that raw Dharmas are easy enough to find and any copies are identical to the original in a digital context anyway.

Incidentally libraries are a godsend for crazy people like me who don't want to own computers or back up data. Not that that's where I am right now.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Any good library should have a map room. Lose yourself in one. It's the best thing in the world.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Tiggum posted:

See, I don't understand people who like books as things. To me a book is just a container for words. I don't care what the container is, except in that I want the most convenient form available.
Everyone likes things. Our entire society is built on things. Clothes are just a container for your body but people didn't invent the woollen pyjama and just leave it at that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
gently caress things.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
I don't know if we had digital clothing I might be into that. If I could just buy a few plain white outfits to wear as a base and modify the digital coating at the push of a button without buying brand new outfits all the time that'd be pretty cool.

I'm sorry I started this derail although it might make an interesting D&D thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah but then your favourite pattern gets locked because someone else is using it. "Finally springtime" you think, "I get to wear my favourite paisley pattern again" and suddenly your shirt reads "Unfortunately the period of use for Perfect Paisley has expired. Why not browse our offers in this season's top patterns, Pretty Much Just Polka Dots? Separate subscription required."

• Locked thread