Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

Magog's design combined all the worst aspects of 90s EXTREME comic art.
So it's not surprising he ended up looking exactly like Cable with a helmet.

Could have used a few more leg pouches.
That was deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah, it's pretty pivotal to the character. How have you not read Kingdom Come? Go do that right now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JL8 is so drat good.

This is after she was feeling down in the dumps about Clark liking Diana and saw an article in Cosmo about getting boys to notice you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Say Nothing posted:

Isn't that a custom action figure made from Cable, though?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

For some reason Gail Simone decided to write in Scott Aukerman and Kulap Vilaysack of Comedy Bang Bang into Red Sonja.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Holy gently caress. I'm not normally one to comment, but that is so 90's it shits moon shoes.

What could have possibly been going through their heads?!

They were thinking: "we need a character that epitomizes 90's excess and violence to dethrone old fashioned Superman as protector of Metropolis."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

There's also a really touching one in the midst of the goofiness where Bruce and Clark walk home and Bruce has to walk on alone while Clark gleefully greets his loving adopted parents. He goes home to his giant, empty mansion and sits alone watching television... until Alfred shows up with treats and sits down and watches the show with him :shobon:

The best part of that is that they're watching the "Mad Bomber" episode of the Grey Ghost.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that a custom action figure made from Cable, though?

No.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah, I actually own that figure. Because Magog is a pretty awesome character with a pretty awesome character arc.

Anyway, Deadpool: The Gauntlet #8. For those who aren't reading it (shame on you), it's a weekly digital miniseries about Dracula hiring Deadpool to find his bride-to-be and bring her to his castle. During the adventure, Dracula realizes that he no longer needs her for his plans, so he decides that he wants her dead. And so, he sends his crack team to take her out.

Marcus: Character Find of 2014!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gavok posted:

Yeah, I actually own that figure. Because Magog is a pretty awesome character with a pretty awesome character arc.

Anyway, Deadpool: The Gauntlet #8. For those who aren't reading it (shame on you), it's a weekly digital miniseries about Dracula hiring Deadpool to find his bride-to-be and bring her to his castle. During the adventure, Dracula realizes that he no longer needs her for his plans, so he decides that he wants her dead. And so, he sends his crack team to take her out.

Man, that dude is weak to like, loud sounds, fire, AND silver?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

There's also a really touching one in the midst of the goofiness where Bruce and Clark walk home and Bruce has to walk on alone while Clark gleefully greets his loving adopted parents. He goes home to his giant, empty mansion and sits alone watching television... until Alfred shows up with treats and sits down and watches the show with him :shobon:
Plus the moment where Superman meets Daniel in the Dreaming :3:

I love this comic

Look at that :smug: Lil Lex

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 26, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AnonSpore posted:

And sugar!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

And sugar!

Let's hope he doesn't fight Best Man.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

WickedHate posted:

And sugar!

And broken legs!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

That was deliberate.
Who didn't realize that?
Kingdom Come was one big commentary on how the 90s 'anti-heroes' were a bunch of violent dicks who were no better than criminals themselves, so they chose to make a character who was the embodiment of all that was horrible about the 90s.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm starting to suspect I don't need to go to the site to read JL8. It's going to be reprinted in whole here on the forum, isn't it?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Choco1980 posted:

I'm starting to suspect I don't need to go to the site to read JL8. It's going to be reprinted in whole here on the forum, isn't it?

Very likely.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Weird thing enough, so far DC had done nothing in regards to JL8 considering the way tumblr and comic fans fawn over it, meanwhile Marvel commissioned the dude to do a couple pages for it's Nova #100 special.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

AnonSpore posted:

Technically all of those monsters are weak to fire, aren't they?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Mister Roboto posted:

Technically all of those monsters are weak to fire, aren't they?

Maybe being vulnerable to fire is the human condition? Think about it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dammit Who? posted:

Somewhere, a single tear runs down Johnny Storm's cheek.

No one can know. No one can ever know.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Very likely.

You don't know how much I was expecting for this :v:

(Everything comes from JL8)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dammit Who? posted:

It's a lot like the vampire problem. Sure, the officer explains to you, you stabbed him with a wooden stake and he died, but that's hardly exclusive to vampires.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dammit Who? posted:

My mind~

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crono S. Magnum posted:

What could have possibly been going through their heads?!

Cocaine?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
(Less funny and more mildly amusing)

Maybe Cable would have less problems with Stryfe if he upgraded his arsenal past "Nerf Maverick".

Cable and X-Force 19

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Very likely.

Pretty much all of JL8 can be posted either here, the touching panels thread, or just the good art thread for the neat reimaginations of various DC characters as kids

Anyway, unrelated: More from Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #10. Punisher got a flashbang set off in his face last issue while wearing night vision goggles, rendering him temporarily blind. Since Doc Ock wouldn't know humor if it bit him on the rear end, Daredevil fills in on Spider-Man joke duty.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Gavok posted:

I haven't been sold on a comic this fast in a while.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CapnAndy posted:

Somewhere, a single tear runs down Johnny Storm's cheek.

No one can know. No one can ever know.

Most people have a problem about being vulnerable to fire, but for Johnny, the living flame, his problem was being vulnerable to other people.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

It reminds me vaguely of Shao Kahn from the eye cancer causing Mortal Kombat Annihilation. (I suppose all Shao Kahn versions.. but that movie...:bang:)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Say Nothing posted:

One thing I don't understand. People mock the pouches. But it's really hard to carry things given the usual outfits supers are running with. So the pouches are a sensible thing, and yet they're mocked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bloodly posted:

One thing I don't understand. People mock the pouches. But it's really hard to carry things given the usual outfits supers are running with. So the pouches are a sensible thing, and yet they're mocked.

They could just sew in pockets. Maybe with zippers or velcro?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bloodly posted:

Sure, pouches make a lot of sense if you're like Batman. If you're Superman or Green Lantern what are you going to carry in a pouch? A memory crystal? And as ostensibly sensible as "some pouches" are, how sensible is it really when you're wearing them as an extra three inches thick of equipment strapped to both your inner thighs?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

JL8 is so drat good.

This is after she was feeling down in the dumps about Clark liking Diana and saw an article in Cosmo about getting boys to notice you.
Someone needs to tell adult Power Girl this.

(An edit).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

Who didn't realize that?
Kingdom Come was one big commentary on how the 90s 'anti-heroes' were a bunch of violent dicks who were no better than criminals themselves, so they chose to make a character who was the embodiment of all that was horrible about the 90s.

The literal quote to Alex Ross for Magog's design was apparently 'Make him look like everything we hate in modern superhero design'. And Ross has said he was deliberately aping Cable, since that was his most hated Liefeld design.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

WickedHate posted:

And sugar!

Gavok already made this joke but I want to post the comic because there's no bad time to post any of these comics.

(Jay Pinkerton)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fifty pounds of fur? :staredog:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Fifty pounds of fur? :staredog:

That's low. shifting to crinos form is +3 to strength on a normal human. Gotta be a lot more muscle mass on a centaur.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

The literal quote to Alex Ross for Magog's design was apparently 'Make him look like everything we hate in modern superhero design'. And Ross has said he was deliberately aping Cable, since that was his most hated Liefeld design.

I've heard that when Rob Liefeld found out his response was... to boast about how much money he'd made off Cable.

Which is kinda tough to argue with, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

I've heard that when Rob Liefeld found out his response was... to boast about how much money he'd made off Cable.

Which is kinda tough to argue with, I guess.

Artistically, Liefeld is unambiguously terrible. But from what I've heard, he's apparently a fairly decent guy. And he was able to get Alan Moore to write one of his characters, which is pretty awesome.

• Locked thread