Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

dishwasherlove posted:

Going to hit up EucBowl too Redvenom?

Yes, highly likely. I've attended for the last two years and dropped in before that. There's a few other smaller tounies between now and then that I'll probably head to (list of them found here), including the Team Championships in Melbourne which should be a whole world of awesome :)

NSW has a pretty rich pickings on the tournament scene, not to mention a whole bunch of leagues in different places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

fugly posted:

There's a few more, what area of London are you in?

North - Highgate area.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

ineptmule posted:

North - Highgate area.

Ahh. Most of the ones I know are South (heroes and legends) or out in the sticks (the outpost)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
As I am a lazy arse, could someone link the fan made good rule book for Necromunda? Thanks.

E: Is this the generally approved fan edition? http://www.yakromunda.com/Nec-Community-Edition.pdf

E2: Thanks
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 4, 2014

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Google gangs of nu ork. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising and there are rules for all 40k races.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Would any Goons be interested in a bunch of Man O' War stuff? I've been slowly building a collection, but have realized I am just never going to get it painted/play with it. The collection includes the base game, Sea of Blood, Plague Fleet, a big Empire fleet, big Bretonnian fleet, small High Elf, and some Ork ships.

Figured I'd toss it out here before I went the eBay route. It's probably worth a ton if I broke it down but... :effort:, so I think I'd let it got for about $500 as lot shipped in the US. Overseas, maybe $550 shipped, I'd have to check prices on int'l shipping.

ADudeWhoAbides fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 5, 2014

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Just make sure you aren't screwing yourself too hard. As you mentioned Man o War goes for exorbitant prices on ebay.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
After getting a second look through, yeah, upped the amount a bit. The Empire fleet alone has 8 Greatships and 12 Wolfships, plus a couple each of the mortar and cannon ships.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
East Londoner here - and by the usual law of irony, I sold all my BFG stuff. If we're putting together some kind of London Goon gaming group then count me in.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Aha! Another east london goon. We should get a BFG thing going on

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I am an East London goon with a lot of BFG.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I am not in London, but am perfectly happy to play some Battlefleet Gothic with someone through Vassal anytime. Can't seem to find anyone to play it with in Washington State.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I can make my way to E London for a tempting enough reason! I'm down for any Spesh Games, but I don't have any BFG.

I have Necro, GoMo, Warmaster, Blood Bowl, Mordheim...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Lets set something up! Has anyone got a board? I've only got a four by two table.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Not at the moment but I've been thinking about how I might make one. Probably go for two 4x4 bits.

I have lots of MDF sci fi buildings which are great. They're more the Infinity aesthetic but there's also some nice Necro style industrial looking stuff.

No terrain for other game systems though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I made these after a short discussion in the terrain thread, but if you don't frequent that thread I'm posting these here:

I'm working on some designs. I'll post them later and see what you think.

E: I went ahead and made all the ones I'd mentioned. I made two alternates for broken and hidden.

Wondering what any/everyone thinks?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Wondering what any/everyone thinks?
Not a fan of Pinned. Maybe a push pin? I prefer the "!" broken rather than the glass broken.

Honestly, I kind of like something like this. Clean and simple.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not a fan of Pinned. Maybe a push pin? I prefer the "!" broken rather than the glass broken.

Honestly, I kind of like something like this. Clean and simple.

More like this?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah - I like that more. Honestly, I think the white font would work for all the counters. Maybe add a hint of hazard striping to the background, since it is so prevalent in NM? I like the nod to the diamond plate you've got going on.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah - I like that more. Honestly, I think the white font would work for all the counters. Maybe add a hint of hazard striping to the background, since it is so prevalent in NM? I like the nod to the diamond plate you've got going on.

I like hazard striping idea.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I like them, but I would make the hazard border a little more pronounced/thicker. What software are you using for your images? You've got a smooth look I can't seem to get using Photoshop.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I like them, but I would make the hazard border a little more pronounced/thicker. What software are you using for your images? You've got a smooth look I can't seem to get using Photoshop.

I'm using Photoshop oddly; I don't know why you are having issues.

Better?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, that looks pretty good. Regarding the Photoshop issue, I was referring to the circle shape of the cutout - I can never get a smooth look.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, that looks pretty good. Regarding the Photoshop issue, I was referring to the circle shape of the cutout - I can never get a smooth look.

No clue as to your circle issues?

I will make a batch of these for me this week and you can take a look at the results and let me know how many of what ones you want (provided you like the ones I make that is).

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think it would be cool to get some with a thick diagonal band of hazard striping across the base. Perhaps also one that's offset.

Basically I like them but it would be cool to get a mix of different designs in the bunch, it feels wrong for them all to have the same layout.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

ineptmule posted:

I think it would be cool to get some with a thick diagonal band of hazard striping across the base. Perhaps also one that's offset.

Basically I like them but it would be cool to get a mix of different designs in the bunch, it feels wrong for them all to have the same layout.

I would worry that the thick diagonal band of hazard striping across the base would obscure the text, and that any offset ones would just look like miscut ones. Though I do get your point.

Though compared to the originals mine are high art.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

berzerkmonkey posted:

are you using the marquee tool to make your circle shapes? make sure you've got anti-aliasing switched on, should be along the top dependent on which version of photoshop you're using

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I would worry that the thick diagonal band of hazard striping across the base would obscure the text, and that any offset ones would just look like miscut ones. Though I do get your point.

Though compared to the originals mine are high art.

If I remember right many of their games of that era used the same counter designs so they didn't want them to be very thematic.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

They're the same as the tokens 40K used.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

enri posted:

are you using the marquee tool to make your circle shapes? make sure you've got anti-aliasing switched on, should be along the top dependent on which version of photoshop you're using
It's just me - I'm a dummy. It's been so long since I've used Photoshop for anything other than basic photo editing that I've forgotten how to use the other stuff. I finally got it though:

IndolentBastard - I appreciate our work on this, but I think I'm going to do custom tokens, themed on my Escher gang colors. That being said though, I'd still like to get my design made up, so if you could email me at portablezombie(at)gmail.com, I'd like to discuss a price.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's just me - I'm a dummy. It's been so long since I've used Photoshop for anything other than basic photo editing that I've forgotten how to use the other stuff. I finally got it though:

IndolentBastard - I appreciate our work on this, but I think I'm going to do custom tokens, themed on my Escher gang colors. That being said though, I'd still like to get my design made up, so if you could email me at portablezombie(at)gmail.com, I'd like to discuss a price.

Emailed you; but I have to say your mock up looks good.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Emailed you; but I have to say your mock up looks good.
Thanks - the font (Radio Stars) is (apparently) the font GW used in the rulebook. I think it's a little Infinity-looking, rather than grubby NM, but it seems to read pretty clearly when scaled down.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thanks - the font (Radio Stars) is (apparently) the font GW used in the rulebook. I think it's a little Infinity-looking, rather than grubby NM, but it seems to read pretty clearly when scaled down.

I found and tried the Radio Stars font too, but it looked too clean for Necromunda in my opinion.

I did some testing last night and my design is totally readable when placed on the table top, even at several feet away. I'll try and take some pics of the final result.

E: And I thank you for it.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 26, 2014

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
I like what you are doing with these, they look really professional.

I prefer the first ones you posted (despite the terrible amazing pin pun) because they are easier to tell apart. Even though Destroyed and Out of ammo are very similar.

IMO tokens should have multiple ways of giving the info through shape, colour, design or text. If you have all the tokens the same shape and colour, with the same font in the same colour then it can be hard to tell which is which - especially when they are obscured by models or terrain or simply being read upside down.

I realise that's the exact opposite of what the others said, but you did ask for feedback :)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Did a little modification today - I added the triple Escher swords to the skull image. Probably going to be too small to see on the printed counters, but I'll know they are there. ;)

I was trying to find a good graffiti font to use (and I found a lot that looked good) but the original font looked the best at small scale, and still tied in with the Living Rulebook.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Did a little modification today - I added the triple Escher swords to the skull image. Probably going to be too small to see on the printed counters, but I'll know they are there. ;)

I was trying to find a good graffiti font to use (and I found a lot that looked good) but the original font looked the best at small scale, and still tied in with the Living Rulebook.

Community edition for life!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Community edition for life!
I have to use the LR for the tourney (though the CE uses the same fonts.) Which means I have to print out a whole new rulebook. Sigh.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Pilgrimski posted:

I like what you are doing with these, they look really professional.

I prefer the first ones you posted (despite the terrible amazing pin pun) because they are easier to tell apart. Even though Destroyed and Out of ammo are very similar.

IMO tokens should have multiple ways of giving the info through shape, colour, design or text. If you have all the tokens the same shape and colour, with the same font in the same colour then it can be hard to tell which is which - especially when they are obscured by models or terrain or simply being read upside down.

I realise that's the exact opposite of what the others said, but you did ask for feedback :)

How about these? A little more to your taste?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So today I managed to recruit a friend to play GorkaMorka, which is obviously awesome.

I've also been working on some muties, inspired by (I think?) someone in this thread.

I'm going for a Fallout/Tusken Raider style of mutant rather than the stereotypical GW one. I really liked the use of Kroot bodies and weapons in the project that inspired this, but I'm hoping they'll look pretty different in the end.

I could do with some advice on the weapons. I'm not really happy with that weird Tau-like sawed-off style weapon on the second guy. I need to build up the weapon differently.

I've ordered some various CC glaive-style weapons, as well as some funky alternative energy weapons from Anvil Industries, so they should make an appearance in the next couple of models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

How about these? A little more to your taste?

Yes :)

It's not just taste, but 'human factors' design. It's something that comes up in my job, so it's how I tend to see the world.

Quote from: http://www.visualexpert.com/why.html if you are interested.

quote:

Human Factors is defined as "the application of scientific data to make the world compatible with human abilities, fitting the product to the sensory, information processing, and motor attributes of the user." It is an area of applied psychology that arose 60 years ago in the aviation industry. Until then, accidents were almost invariably attributed to mechanical fault, to weather or to human error.

Careful analyses began to show poor design caused many accidents; there was a mismatch between humans and design. One the earliest, and most influential examples (Fitts, P.M., & Jones, R.E. 1947a, Analysis of factors contributing to 460 “pilot error” experiences in operating aircraft controls, Report No. TSEAA-694-12)was the common pilot error of grabbing the wrong lever and raising the landing gear rather than lowering the flaps - whilst landing!

The two controls looked and felt the same and were located next to one another. In modern human factors terms, pulling the wrong lever is an "active error" while the control design was a "latent failure," or an "error trap." Note than in human factors, "human error" refers does not equate to blame. In fact, the concept of blame has no place in human factors. Human factors is a method of reducing accidents by studying human abilities, limitations and predispositions and then by designing artifacts and environments that fitted the human. This approach is often termed "user centered design."

The problem ended up being fixed by changing the design of one lever, so the pilot could immediately feel the difference.

Obviously the 'error' in playing a game isn't going to be serious, but the principle still holds, even if all it is preventing is irksome misunderstandings.

• Locked thread