Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dessel posted:

TL;DR: Living in a small town (in comparison) I have a huge boner for anything involving large metropolises. Any recommendations?

Redcrimson posted:

Durarara!!, Tiger and Bunny, or Index/Railgun might work for you.

Also, Darker Than Black, Steins;Gate, and the currently airing Noragami.

e: Oh, almost forgot Ghost in the Shell. I feel like I've been recommending that a lot lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dessel posted:

Off topic (But to be fair this wouldn't fit TV IV), but as I understand any live action coming from Japan is terrible/not subtitled? I'd totally watch a buddy cop series situated in Tokyo or similar city that doesn't constantly recycle stock footage of aerial views to "establish it's situated in place X" (CSI - as if it wasn't terrible to begin with - is the worst possible offender of this).

Ataru is essentially a buddy cop live action series set in Tokyo, and it is subtitled.

It features Chiaki Kuriyama (the murderous schoolgirl from Battle Royale and Kill Bill) and one of the members of SMAP as the leads.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 23, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dessel posted:

Rinkles' list of cyber punk'ish anime got me thinking (Thanks for the list, Bubblegum Crisis is giving me similar vibes as Cyber City Oeda did) that I have a boner for pretty much anything involving large cities. The more visuals of a large metropolis, the better. If it relates well to the plot and gives the city a proper feeling of a living, breathing city, even better. A wide use of the scenery and setting particular to a metropolis is a plus. Seen this done in Patlabor and GITS a lot - Making the city an additional character, if you will.

I've watched everything there is about GITS. Psycho-Pass kind of fits the deal as well - I've watched it. I think I've watched everything there is to watch about Patlabor, as well.

Off topic (But to be fair this wouldn't fit TV IV), but as I understand any live action coming from Japan is terrible/not subtitled? I'd totally watch a buddy cop series situated in Tokyo or similar city that doesn't constantly recycle stock footage of aerial views to "establish it's situated in place X" (CSI - as if it wasn't terrible to begin with - is the worst possible offender of this).

TL;DR: Living in a small town (in comparison) I have a huge boner for anything involving large metropolises. Any recommendations?

Well, if you haven't watched the anime 'Metropolis' that would be a place to start. (Not to be confused with the 1920's Fritz Lang version.)

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Darker Than Black I've watched, as I did Steins;Gate and all of GITS. Tiget and Bunny feels like the city is relegated to a backdrop and I haven't been able to finish it yet. (Some day, though)

The other recommendations are great. Thanks!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To add a bit more to the Shinkai discussion from before, I just finished Children Who Chase Lost Voices and can report that as expected it is gorgeous as his other films. No one animates like Shinkai does. However the plot was so derivative and chock full of pretty bad writing. When writing that script, some editor should have stepped in wrote in big red letters at the top "SHOW, DON'T TELL". So I guess ultimately Garden of Words is not my least favorite Shinkai film.

I'm just not sure about Shinkai's writing ability after three consecutive disappointments. He should a collaboration with someone else to do the writing or direction.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Dessel posted:

Rinkles' list of cyber punk'ish anime got me thinking (Thanks for the list, Bubblegum Crisis is giving me similar vibes as Cyber City Oeda did) that I have a boner for pretty much anything involving large cities. The more visuals of a large metropolis, the better. If it relates well to the plot and gives the city a proper feeling of a living, breathing city, even better. A wide use of the scenery and setting particular to a metropolis is a plus. Seen this done in Patlabor and GITS a lot - Making the city an additional character, if you will.

I've watched everything there is about GITS. Psycho-Pass kind of fits the deal as well - I've watched it. I think I've watched everything there is to watch about Patlabor, as well.

Also look at Eden of the East and I'll go ahead and double up on Durarara!! because it's great.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, getting back into Full Metal Panic is rough. When Che Delilas mentioned Fumoffu, I remember having pretty good memories when I first saw it. The season that was animated by Gonzo, which I'm currently braving through, is such a clusterfuck of bad ideas, worse animation, piss-poor pacing and overall effort that it makes almost too much sense that the author basically took the series to another studio altogether. While one of the few redeeming factors (the voice actors, especially Tomokazu Seki and Satsuki Yukino for the main duo) does make up a bit for some of the show's shoddier aspects, it's not nearly enough to salvage the crapfest.

I'm halfway through this fugly mess. I want to get this over with ASAP so I can proper go into both Fumoffu and TSR and probably revisit the books.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Gonzo's productions are hilarious. I mean I loved Last Exile, but the ending, gently caress. Pretty much Gonzo in a nutshell. Pacing problems and rushed endings for everyone!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I've been sitting on 40 gigs of movies that I just finished (re)watching, Evangelion Rebuild 1/2/3, End of Evangelion, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, and TTGL Gurren/Lagann-hen and really want to cap it off with some more things just as epic/insane to further gently caress my mind into oblivion.

Disregarding Berserk Golden Age and Redline which I've seen fairly recently, any suggestions?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's not much that can top that, unless you're willing to watch all 30 odd TV episodes + the OVA of Gaogaigar.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I think a double dose of Getter Robo OVAs, New and Armageddon, could work out nicely for insanity.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

Ataru is essentially a buddy cop live action series set in Tokyo, and it is subtitled.

It features Chiaki Kuriyama (the murderous schoolgirl from Battle Royale and Kill Bill) and one of the members of SMAP as the leads.

And Ataru also has a theme song by Shiina Ringo, even though it's sort of pop-ish and far from the best thing she's done (I'm a huge Shiina Ringo fan).

The Galileo drama feels similar to Ataru, so you should watch that if you liked Ataru.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TheMopeSquad posted:

I've been sitting on 40 gigs of movies that I just finished (re)watching, Evangelion Rebuild 1/2/3, End of Evangelion, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, and TTGL Gurren/Lagann-hen and really want to cap it off with some more things just as epic/insane to further gently caress my mind into oblivion.

Disregarding Berserk Golden Age and Redline which I've seen fairly recently, any suggestions?

Mind Game, Dead Leaves, and the Revolutionary Girl Utena movie.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

TheMopeSquad posted:

Shin Mazinger Z and Giant Robo are incredibly bombastic and have very strong finales.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Wark Say posted:

Man, getting back into Full Metal Panic is rough. When Che Delilas mentioned Fumoffu, I remember having pretty good memories when I first saw it. The season that was animated by Gonzo, which I'm currently braving through, is such a clusterfuck of bad ideas, worse animation, piss-poor pacing and overall effort that it makes almost too much sense that the author basically took the series to another studio altogether. While one of the few redeeming factors (the voice actors, especially Tomokazu Seki and Satsuki Yukino for the main duo) does make up a bit for some of the show's shoddier aspects, it's not nearly enough to salvage the crapfest.

I'm halfway through this fugly mess. I want to get this over with ASAP so I can proper go into both Fumoffu and TSR and probably revisit the books.

Fumoffu stands on its own; watching the original series is utterly unnecessary, and you don't really need to put yourself through any more of it if you aren't enjoying it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Fumoffu stands on its own; watching the original series is utterly unnecessary, and you don't really need to put yourself through any more of it if you aren't enjoying it.

The first DVD is pretty dece, the series as a whole is pretty mediocre, but it's not a huge time investment if you can tolerate it.

There's a few decent episodes, though rarely in consecutive order, and for Second Raid it's def important, unfortunately.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Alright, here's something of an unusual request. I want you to recommend me your favorite manga. I don't care what genre, what demographic, or even if it's finished or not. I'm looking for something new to read and I'm not feeling like anything in particular, so why not cast a wide net? Here's some of the more popular manga I have read/am reading, to be a little helpful.

Berserk
Yotsuba
The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer (and all else Mizukami)
Urasawa's stuff (never got into Billy Bat though)
Silver Spoon
Fullmetal Alchemist
One Piece
The Flowers of Evil
Tower of God
Vinland Saga
Koe no Katachi
Onepunch Man
Young Bride's Story
Voynich Hotel

And obviously much more that I can't think of right now, but hopefully that should help narrow things down. Thanks.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

Alright, here's something of an unusual request. I want you to recommend me your favorite manga.

Devilman. Just gonna copypaste what I wrote in the ADTRWiki for it: Go Nagai's finest work, with excellent action and storytelling both present. The atmosphere is suitably creepy, the monster designs are fantastic, and the direction of the plot in the final two volumes creates one of the best endings in manga history. It's only five volumes long, so you don't have to worry about making a large time investment in order to read this.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Cake Attack posted:

Alright, here's something of an unusual request. I want you to recommend me your favorite manga. I don't care what genre, what demographic, or even if it's finished or not. I'm looking for something new to read and I'm not feeling like anything in particular, so why not cast a wide net? Here's some of the more popular manga I have read/am reading, to be a little helpful.

Berserk
Yotsuba
Silver Spoon
Fullmetal Alchemist
One Piece
The Flowers of Evil
Tower of God
Vinland Saga
Koe no Katachi
Onepunch Man
Young Bride's Story
Voynich Hotel

And obviously much more that I can't think of right now, but hopefully that should help narrow things down. Thanks.
Dorohedoro - A dark fantasy manga that looks like it was illustrated by the guy who did the Fighting Fantasy gamebook art. It's gross, unique, and captivating.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - A chill science fiction manga about a robot who operates a cafe in a sparsely populated future. Absolutely gorgeous and poignant.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

Alright, here's something of an unusual request. I want you to recommend me your favorite manga..
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Assuming you've seen the movie, it only accounts for maybe 25% of the manga's story. The result is a genuine war epic with the usual Miyazaki charms. Several movie characters take on completely different roles with totally different arcs; Kushana being the most notable, as she is now more of a secondary protagonist with far more development.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 26, 2014

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Yokoyama Mitsuteru's Mars

An incredibly bleak classic robot manga from the 70's with some of Yokoyama's best art in it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko: manga or OVA if it had to be one or the other?

I quite like the soundtrack from what I've heard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Assuming you've seen the movie, it only accounts for maybe 25% of the manga's story. The result is a genuine war epic with the usual Miyazaki charms. Several movie characters take on completely different roles with totally different arcs; Kushana being the most notable, as she is now more of a secondary protagonist with far more development.

Seconding that Nausicaä is an amazing read, and if you're going to get the manga try to get the deluxe two-volume hardcover collection. It's worth it :allears:.

edit: Also to add to the manga favourites, I've always enjoyed Tsutomu Nihei's stuff. He always draws amazing sci-fi and cyberpunk artwork, though his stories tend to have weak endings. Blame! is a great ten-volume read, and BiOmega is six volumes of cyberpunk zombie fun. He also has a current series going called Knights of Sidonia (it's up to Volume 6 so far) that is more light-hearted than his other stuff and a more basic sci-fi story.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 26, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rinkles posted:

I would suggest the manga. You'll end up liking the manga so much that you'll watch the OVA anyway.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Wandering Son (Hourou Musuko) is one of my favorites.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

The story depicts a young student named Shuichi Nitori, described by the author as a boy who wants to be a girl, and Shuichi's friend Yoshino Takatsuki, described as a girl who wants to be a boy. The series deals with issues such as transsexualism, gender identity, and the beginning of puberty.
The last sentence is the important part, because it is actually about those things instead of using them as punchlines. The art is simple but good (and looks fantastic in color, especially in the anime), and although the characters are probably all a bit mature for their age, the story is well-told, and I don't remember seeing any problems with the (official) translation so far.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rinkles posted:

The OVA is only like 4 episodes total, so ultimately you'd be missing out on 99% of the rest anyway. Also I found that the style in YKK just seems to work better in a manga format; it's OK that there is a chapter with little to no dialogue where Alpha just brews a cup of coffee or whatever. The panel layout, artwork, etc. work together to make it interesting. The OVAs by contrast are a bit dry and, I dare say, boring.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cake Attack posted:

Assassination Classroom is great. I'm also a big fan of Baby Steps, which is a shounen tennis manga that is pretty sane and levelheaded.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Here's my list, some of which have been mentioned already, and I left off anything you had on yours:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Nausicaa
Wandering Son
Aoi Hana
Paradise Kiss
Solanin
Octave
Ghost in the Shell (the original only, none of the sequels)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Kaiji
Gambling Emperor Zero
Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Part 4 in particular)

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

You're already reading my two favourite manga (Berserk and One Piece) but I would recommend Shamo. Its a very dark, gritty story about a boy who murders his parents, goes to juvenile prison for it and learns martial arts to survive. It follows his actions after getting out of prison as he goes from job to job working for yakuza and stuff and ends up as a prizefighter. Shamo probably stars the least likable protagonist I have seen in a manga but I found the story quite gripping and the art is fantastic.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Koe no Katachi is a currently running manga about a kid who bullied a deaf girl in elementary school only to have the situation blow up in his face, and as a high schooler he tries to repair the damage he called. It's been blowing our minds since it showed up. Thread over here.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

Berserk
Yotsuba
Silver Spoon
Fullmetal Alchemist
One Piece
The Flowers of Evil
Tower of God
Vinland Saga
Koe no Katachi
Onepunch Man
Young Bride's Story
Voynich Hotel

You've gotten some good recommendations, but no one has pointed these out yet:

Vagabond
Battle Angel Alita (And Last Order)
Mob Psycho 100
Shin Angyo Onshi
Kingdom
Attack on Titan

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh man, that's a lot of recommendations, thanks everyone. I've already read some of it (in retrospect, I should have mentioned I'd already read Shimura's works), but there's a lot of new stuff here too. Thanks.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Saikano, the manga. :getin:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga was never licensed, right? Because I'm looking all over amazon etc. after Mangafox claimed it was and I'm seeing nothing.

Also the scanlations for YKK were among others done by a, I presume, ADTRW affiliated group (s.ADTRW). Also apparently this group translated a number of ecchi and borderline hentai stuff. So either ADTRW was a very different place back then (~2003), or this group wasn't that closely tied to it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No, it's not licensed. MangaFox is probably just being dumb and you shouldn't use them anyway.

I don't think the original scanlation group was affiliated with ADTRW, unless I'm thinking of someone else.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rinkles posted:

So the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou manga was never licensed, right? Because I'm looking all over amazon etc. after Mangafox claimed it was and I'm seeing nothing.

Also the scanlations for YKK were among others done by a, I presume, ADTRW affiliated group (s.ADTRW). Also apparently this group translated a number of ecchi and borderline hentai stuff. So either ADTRW was a very different place back then (~2003), or this group wasn't that closely tied to it.

They may not have been affiliated with ADTRW, but from what I understand it was a very different place in days long past. A dark and terrible place.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh I'm quite certain there was at one point a hentai thread (for that matter there was a whole SA porn forum).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wark Say posted:

- A really funny anime. Laugh-like-an-idiot funny. Gintama, Nichibros, Cromartie, Zetsubo-sensei are some of the ones that spring to mind as making me laugh this hard. This season's D-Frag is good, but nowhere near Cromartie or Gintama levels of idiot-like laughter.

The Devil is a Part-Timer is one of the funniest shows in years and takes a fairly bland premise(the all-powerful demon king in a fantasy world suddenly finds himself as a McDonald's employee! The Great Hero works at a call center! etc) and manages to make it one of the most appealing, hilarious, endearing, and action-packed shows out there. It's really amazing how well it blends action, comedy, drama, and a bit of romance too. It's a definite must-watch. There's one filler episode that's not based on the novels(the zoo episode I think?) that some folks don't like, but I thought it was decent even for being filler.

For something maybe a little less guffaw-inducing but damned good anyways and still pretty funny, Servant x Service is a great short series. SxS is available on Crunchyroll, while DPT is on Funimation.

Cake Attack posted:

Berserk
Yotsuba
Silver Spoon
Fullmetal Alchemist
One Piece
The Flowers of Evil
Tower of God
Vinland Saga
Koe no Katachi
Onepunch Man
Young Bride's Story
Voynich Hotel

I actually made an ambassadorial thread in BSS where I recommended a ton of series I greatly enjoyed with descriptions(including a bunch from your list, as well as a bunch that aren't), and my number one's right at the top of the list. Follow the instructions in the siren-laden part of the OP and go for it, it's realllllly good.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568801

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

The Devil is a Part-Timer is one of the funniest shows in years and takes a fairly bland premise(the all-powerful demon king in a fantasy world suddenly finds himself as a McDonald's employee! The Great Hero works at a call center! etc) and manages to make it one of the most appealing, hilarious, endearing, and action-packed shows out there. It's really amazing how well it blends action, comedy, drama, and a bit of romance too. It's a definite must-watch. There's one filler episode that's not based on the novels(the zoo episode I think?) that some folks don't like, but I thought it was decent even for being filler.

poo poo, I had almost forgotten about The Devil is a Part Timer! I think it was the first series I followed as an official goon! That show was an incredibly fun ride in pretty much all aspects and, even better, it was a goddamn .gif goldmine of reaction faces. I really hope it made the novels sell better so we can get enough hype for a second season.

The English title does bug me a lot because it's misleading as hell, though! :mad:

• Locked thread