Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think that LP is silly and dumb, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss and argue about both the technical and subjective quality and value of the people and videos involved. There's a lot of things that are weird and funny that are okay to talk seriously about and I don't really see why LP has to be excluded from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If people didn't want to discuss LP, then there wouldn't be so much chat in this thread and the Sandcastle about various LP topics, and we wouldn't have threads like the Experimental LP thread. Besides, this discussion on whether we should discuss Let's Play is us discussing Let's Play. :tinfoil:

People just say they don't want to discuss Let's Plays in general to preemptively show they're not taking it too seriously, and even then they'll still discuss them. I don't know, it's fun to learn and try new things in the hobby, finding ways to make my updates better and more efficient, seeing what crazy awesome stuff people come up with. If Let's Plays weren't fun to discuss, then what would make this forum different from Games?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

In addition, this thread that this discussion is taking place in was meant specifically for LP discussion. You don't have to take it seriously to discuss about it, but I think things are being taken a bit too seriously if people want to stop discussions about LP because they're getting too serious.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Let's Play is tons of fun to discuss, and I'm open to discussing it. There's a big difference between fun discussion and angry nerds arguing about dumb things though.

and let's stop this extremely unintentionally hilarious meta-argument and re-route back to discussing about LP. I have a question.

I've seen of tons of random YouTube accounts "announce" that they're going to do an LP.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCm-kchsz4c

Usually it's them talking on webcam. I haven't watched any of them all the way through. My question: what the hell are they trying to achieve here?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean sure, don't have an existential breakdown because PewDiePie exists or because some dude's LP is three pixels off-center or whatever, there's caring about something and there's losing your mind over it, I just don't see why every time people start to display the slightest inkling of investment in a hobby there has to a rush to tell them how dumb and silly it is, I think most folks around here get that. But if DSP is worth, Jesus, I don't even know how many posts worth of people boggling over some doofy dipshit's chronic inability to play video games then nothing else is really that silly by comparison.

edit; in the spirit of providing content, one LPer I don't recall seeing much mention of here is TheRadBrad, whose videos often pop up in my "suggested viewing" menu almost any time I watch something like a video game trailer or preview of some sort, and I've come across him while searching YouTube for LPs. He seems fairly popular, his videos get millions of views, and he does a lot of day-one stuff.

He's not really someone I'd watch regularly, but for a day-one "like-and-subscribe" dudebro LPer he's not nearly as obnoxious as a lot of his peers are, he doesn't scream or shriek that I'm aware of and doesn't use profanity as a main course, his video quality is decent, and he at least has the presence of mind to shut up over cutscenes. I guess someone at Square-Enix likes him enough that they gave him a copy of the new Thief a couple days before it launched for him to play and post some videos of, which is how I remembered him since I was browsing for some early impressions.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 26, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

My question: what the hell are they trying to achieve here?

Tweets dressed up as Let's Play. I'm kinda serious.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Saying you're going to do something is much easier then doing it.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Suspicious Dish posted:

The same reason why people make videos announcing that they are "cancelling" their LP of some game that already been done 25 times and they have 3 views on - because they think the world cares about it.

Also, this kid did a followup video about why he wasn't making LPs yet - He had homework. Its called "My life is Hard"!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

IceAgeComing posted:

The same reason why people make videos announcing that they are "cancelling" their LP of some game that already been done 25 times and they have 3 views on - because they think the world cares about it.

Also, this kid did a followup video about why he wasn't making LPs yet - He had homework. Its called "My life is Hard"!

What is it now, like 40-50% of YouTube is LPs at this point, or is that just video game things in general? Either way, video game content is pretty well represented on YouTube, and there is more talk about people who make videos professionally every day, so it's pretty attractive for people thinking they'll just boot up their Xbox and become the next Machinima Partner of the Month or whatever. What a lot of them don't realize is that this is like Microsoft releasing Bing in 2012, a full decade after the search engine wars left Google in an unassailable position. Or like Google putting out G+ and trying to compete with Facebook after Facebook crushed larger competitors by not being completely terrible to use for a time.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Lazyfire posted:

Either way, video game content is pretty well represented on YouTube, and there is more talk about people who make videos professionally every day, so it's pretty attractive for people thinking they'll just boot up their Xbox and become the next Machinima Partner of the Month or whatever.

That's exactly why I think many people are trying to copy the successful LPers on YouTube, as opposed to doing their own thing. When someone is making six-figures on YouTube after saying, "These videos don't take much effort to make", one assumes easy money.

Speaking of being "inspired" by popular people, Have you heard of Brentalfloss? This guy ain't him. Not at alllllll.

slowbeef posted:

Tweets dressed up as Let's Play. I'm kinda serious.

I know you meant it as a kinda-joke, but I think that's 100% accurate. Sometimes these "LP UPDATE" videos can last less than a minute, and literally consist of nothing but, "Hey I may LP this game at some point I think it's cool 'kay bye guys". Sometimes, they have the intro to said game playing or something.

Wow, I feel like I'm going to be sick. Why did he have the camcorder in his bathroom for? Why was he recording his feet? I'm so confused.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Largely I think people see other people make these announcement videos, and think it's just what you do when you make LPs, and don't think about it past that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

BMS posted:

Wait a minute...that's actually quite impressive. I assume he's playing by looking at the screen through a mirror, while holding the phone backwards.....that's.......well, quite impressive.

I doubt it's that elaborate. The only part of the game you see is the first minute or so, and the level design is so simple that you could easily just hold right and jump occasionally to progress. Since he was guaranteed to grab a few rings in the way he won't die since he hit pretty much every enemy in the way.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

At least its impressive in some way - I can't imagine playing Sonic on a blackberry is that easy anyway; never mind doing it literally blind...

I somehow found this a wee while ago; and I think that it shows the amount of effort that it takes to put something on LP. Also; I guess someone really wanted to see someone else play Wheel of Fortune for their birthday? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WjoNmRwExE

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

IceAgeComing posted:

At least its impressive in some way - I can't imagine playing Sonic on a blackberry is that easy anyway; never mind doing it literally blind...

My reaction was like "D'aw, it's a kid. He doesn't know any bet... ...wait, how is he doing that?"

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

I somehow found this a wee while ago; and I think that it shows the amount of effort that it takes to put something on LP. Also; I guess someone really wanted to see someone else play Wheel of Fortune for their birthday? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WjoNmRwExE

This is a good way to lose friends, and possibly obtain restraining orders. It's bad enough that your 'gift' for a friend's birthday is you enjoying a video game, and this is one way to make it worse.

Also, this:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

slowbeef posted:

My reaction was like "D'aw, it's a kid. He doesn't know any bet... ...wait, how is he doing that?"

He kept looking down at the camera, so I'd assume it's one of those cameras that has the little screen that shows what you're recording

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

Suspicious Dish posted:

I've seen of tons of random YouTube accounts "announce" that they're going to do an LP.

We made a trailer video for the Barbie Megathread mostly so that I could depict myself as Molly Ringwald.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

IceAgeComing posted:

All the comments are about seeing mostly his back, but even if he somehow removed himself from this video, we still wouldn't be able to see the screen because the camera is across the room and not aimed at the camera...

I will acknowledge that DSP was good at camcorder LPS comparatively. God, I feel so dirty, but camcorder LPs are the worst.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Brassherald posted:

I will acknowledge that DSP was good at camcorder LPS comparatively. God, I feel so dirty, but camcorder LPs are the worst.

Compared to that, sure. But he also filmed from a downward angle for some reason.

I never get that part about camcorder LPs. You really can't just stack a bunch of stuff to make it level with the TV? Everyone has "stuff"!

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
People don't realize that you can't just stack the family's 30 years out of date encyclopedias with the bindings the same way and still have it be level. You have to alternate the bindings.
And even with tripods it isn't automatically done. But, it shouldn't take more than 5 min to get the tripod all setup and leveled and then you never have to mess with it again.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's really hard to get the top of the pile of crisp packets, coke cans and used tissues to stay level when you place the camera on top.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

I honestly think they don't bother leveling it because, deep down, they know it's going to look like garbage, anyway.

Even if the camcorder is leveled, the colors and audio will be messed up, and you can have other issues like static and glare. Even in optimal conditions, it really doesn't work out all that well.

Their viewers don't bring it up as an issue, either, so there's really no reason for them to care. Hell, for some bizarre reason, some people like the camcorders more than, you know, things that you can actually see.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

The thing that confuses me more is camcorder lps of a PC game. I can understand a little if a kid tries a camcorder LP of a console game because they can't get a PVR; but for computer games its dumb because you can get something like Hypercam for free and its much better than literally filming the screen...

There ARE some games that you need to do a camcorder LP of; but its stuff like unemulatable arcade games; not Metal Gear Solid 4...

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

IceAgeComing posted:

There ARE some games that you need to do a camcorder LP of; but its stuff like unemulatable arcade games; not Metal Gear Solid 4...

Tasian's "Ouendan" LP is one of the best I've ever seen - DS emulators didn't exist at the time. He filmed it in a box with soft-lighting and had done tests to make sure the screen came through okay. He was also hysterically funny.

I miss that guy.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Kai Tave posted:

This doesn't jive with the rest of your post though. "Well it's okay to argue about this dude doing this dumb, silly thing that no one should take seriously because [JUSTIFICATION]." DSP's an also-ran even among lovely YouTube LPers, how's it somehow different to spend effort arguing about him over someone else again?

Seriously, either Let's Play is silly and dumb and not worth arguing over or it is, if it's not then neither is DSP no matter how terrible a human being you somehow suspect him to be based on recordings of him (not) playing video games.

If he wants to make boring LPs then that's his right, I'm not going to watch him but whatever have fun with it.

What I don't like about him is the way he treats others and how much of a contradictory douchebag he is.

If he wants to upload nine million terrible Dark Souls videos where he whines the whole time, whatever mang ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ its not worth arguing about. It's when he starts screaming at his fans and calling them names for watching his videos and not getting enough views is when he starts to bother me and when he deserves getting poo poo on.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

That's the thing - a well-done camcorder LP of a game you can't get direct capture of easily (I would include the DS in this because most people cannot afford £200+ to get a capture board installed in their 3DS) is perfectly OK if you put effort into the screen capture of it! Of course, 99% of 3DS LPs on youtube are people pointing their webcams at their DS and doing games with huge amounts of text...

e:

Roar posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

this isn't tumblr

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Roar posted:

It's when he starts screaming at his fans and calling them names for watching his videos and not getting enough views is when he starts to bother me and when he deserves getting poo poo on.

I knew he yelled at people for beating him/not beating him in fighting games, but did he really blame them for not getting enough views?

I loving love this guy!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

this isn't tumblr

Looks like someone doesn't know about the dangun rompa thread!

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Roar posted:

If he wants to make boring LPs then that's his right, I'm not going to watch him but whatever have fun with it.

What I don't like about him is the way he treats others and how much of a contradictory douchebag he is.

That's the thing with me. I don't care that he's bad at video games. He's playing games for the first time, he doesn't know what to expect, etc. LPs like that don't tend to be great, but there you go, it's his thing, whatever.

I dislike him just because he's a massive jerk. In his Demon's Souls stream LP, he was given some advice by some stream people, and then when he messes up trying to follow their advice, he goes on for minutes about how they're stupid trolls.

These people are taking time out of their day to watch you play video games, and you're thanking them by calling them names. That's great. Wonderful.

I feel I should clarify, too: Camcorders are fine for things you can't capture normally, you just gotta take the extra huge step of making it viewable. Many don't bother to take that step either because they don't think they can make the camcorder look good, or are too lazy to even try.

The thing that baffles me about it, is when you know you have better options. YouTube sensation LuizPrower was said to have a capture device that worked, but refused to use it, just like he refused to capture games he played on PC. I think his fans preferred it that way, as well. I can't even begin to guess why.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

slowbeef posted:

I knew he yelled at people for beating him/not beating him in fighting games, but did he really blame them for not getting enough views?

I loving love this guy!

Yeah, one of the DSP tries it videos featured him doing a VLog saying that he would never beg for views or likes or anything like that. Then there was a VLog where he basically complained that people weren't watching him enough and that he needed them to like and subscribe and comment and such. This was masked as giving people a better chance to win stuff in a contest (Oh boy, can't wait for that Halo 4 special edition game box!). I need to go find that video because it was amazing how he more or less blamed viewers for not finding one game or another interesting enough to get high views on it.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I can only assume somebody who has a capture device and refuses to use it is just lazy and would rather just stick with the workflow they know. Or they can't figure out how to use it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

IceAgeComing posted:

this isn't tumblr

Well, why not?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, one of the DSP tries it videos featured him doing a VLog saying that he would never beg for views or likes or anything like that. Then there was a VLog where he basically complained that people weren't watching him enough and that he needed them to like and subscribe and comment and such. This was masked as giving people a better chance to win stuff in a contest (Oh boy, can't wait for that Halo 4 special edition game box!). I need to go find that video because it was amazing how he more or less blamed viewers for not finding one game or another interesting enough to get high views on it.

This is the one you're looking for where he gets annoyed that no one cares for his poo poo reviews and he wasn't getting enough views for the effort he put in.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Can't get something for nothing, didn't he take the most basic levels of science?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

I loving love this guy!

DSP Tries It: Insulting His Fans

Featuring the following snippets;

-A YouTube comment thread where a fan gives constructive criticism on what they want to see Phil do with his vlogs. Phil calls him a loving idiot.
-Says his fans all have ADHD because the views on his playthroughs gradually drop as a playthrough goes on and they don't have the attention span to keep watching.
-His girlfriend antagonizes the stream chat during a stream of Kingdom Hearts by saying KH sucks. Chat responds. Phil shuts down the chat to punish his viewers and calls them immature little shits.
-A snippet from a call including YouTube comments where a guy points out irony in Phil doing something he bitched at Toby Turner (TobyGames?) for doing in the past. Phil responded by telling him to die, calling him a troll, and blocking him.

Missing from this video;

-Whenever he does an impression of his fans asking him questions he thinks are dumb, where he pushes up invisible glasses and speaks in a nasally voice.
-A session of an online game where someone else that was logged in tried to engage in friendly conversation and help him figure things out was met with insults and demands that he shut up (Phil couldn't figure out how to mute people. The guy was even kind-hearted enough to try and teach Phil how to do that.)
-That whole thing where the guy built a computer for him and tried to teach him streaming/direct capture, and Phil poo poo all over him and claimed he was ripped off because he was too dumb to learn how to stream as quickly as he wanted to.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Man I wonder how that fan of his felt after being told to gently caress off and having to help DSP with shutting himself up.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
There is no way this can't be just a giant act. I refuse to believe someone is this stupid.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Should there be a DSP thread? I'm worried about it going the way of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete thread where people go nuts, but...

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There really shouldn't. Mock threads have never actually been a good idea and will only descend into a ruin of shitposting and ironic "fans".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

There really shouldn't. Mock threads have never actually been a good idea and will only descend into a ruin of shitposting and ironic "fans".

Incorrect, we need at least 4 megathreads where in we argue endlessly over if DSP is an artform or not.

• Locked thread