Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

So, there's the Remote app to control your iTunes library from your iOS device, but is there an app that lets you remotely control another iOS device?

I have an iPod touch connected to some speakers and it would be convenient to be able to control its playback from my iPad.

Edit: And of course minutes after posting this, I discover this app: http://appshopper.com/music/tango-remote-control-music-player

hypersleep fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Nask26 posted:

Delivery status touch is what I use.

I use this one as well, but Slice looks interesting, so I will try that. Although, I do like how Delivery status syncs with my Macbook so I can track it on there as well.

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he
Another vote for Delivery Status.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Does anyone use an app like Air Display or Splashtop to turn their iPad into a little wireless monitor? I'd love to have something I can stick Spotify or IRC into. Any recommendations to go with a Windows 8.1 machine?

fookolt fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 22, 2014

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

fookolt posted:

Does anyone use an app like Air Display or Splashtop to turn their iPad into a little wireless monitor? I'd love to have something I can stick Spotify or IRC into. Any recommendations to go with a Windows 8.1 machine?

I have.Splashtop 2 Remote Desktop - Personal on my ipad and I love it. Spotify will work but typing isn't too great with it so you might want to get a native iOS app for IRC. If those exist.

Edit: I feel like I should elaborate a little. Splashtop changes your desktop resolution to 1034x768, anything higher makes everything too small for a 10" scree but that does make small text blurry on retina iPads. Typing doesn't have autocorrect so if you rely on it (like I do) expect many mistakes. Because of that I don't think IRC would work too well.

croutonZA fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 22, 2014

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Is there an app that will let me find a bunch of different events both locally and in the nearest cities?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

fookolt posted:

I tried a few of them but they all suck. Air display 2 is the least lovely one.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Biodome posted:

I tried a few of them but they all suck. Air display 2 is the least lovely one.

That's a shame. I'm not expecting something super amazing; I just want to be able to change my music on Spotify while knee-deep in a dozen browser windows.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

fookolt posted:

That's a shame. I'm not expecting something super amazing; I just want to be able to change my music on Spotify while knee-deep in a dozen browser windows.

I use Air Display all the time. It's pretty basic, but it works fine. The resolution is kind of low on the iOS device, but it doesn't change the resolution on your main display so that really isn't as big of a headache as you would think. Still, it's plenty high enough for reading text documents at a reasonable laptop distance.

That said, my needs aren't exactly really crazy. I do a lot of work with multiple text documents open and visible at one time, and it work great for that - usually I have the main text that I'm editing over on the big monitor maybe a second open document (notes, whatever) up along side it, and a 3rd (a .pdf of some archival documents, a 3rd doc of research notes, whatever) thrown up on the iPad next to it.

The one complaint I would have is that there is a bit of noticeable lag on the ipad. Nothing awful, but noticeable enough that anything that you really had to be actively controlling would be annoying.

By far it's one of my most used apps, and it's great for getting some work done when I"m away from my home office and my normal dual-monitor setup. iOS recognizes it as a secondary monitor pretty seamlessly, so all of the usual settings and tweaks associated with that are available as well.

edit: It also works pretty well for throwing up VLC if I'm just surfing the forums during office hours and want to half-watch a movie or whatever at the same time.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

blackshreds posted:

Is there an app that will let me find a bunch of different events both locally and in the nearest cities?

Give Scout a try. It's kind of an all-in-one navigation/places type app; every Friday afternoon (this can probably be changed/edited in the settings) it pops up a reminder asking if I want it to "scout" events going on near me. The couple of times I've used it for that, it seems to do a decent job of giving me the lowdown on what's going on over the weekend.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

A couple questions about Calendar.app, are the dots in month view that indicate there's an event scheduled all supposed to be gray? What's the point of being able to change their colour if they are all gray? And secondly is there a quick way to add an event that's on for 2 days every 4 days? (I.e 2 days on 2 days off)?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wait, gently caress, I just realized Slices is no longer there. Tweetcaster Pro has bought it over? What thefuck? If I'd previously bought Slices, can I dl Tweetcaster Pro now or do I need to buy it again?

Also, gently caress TweetBot2 and their huge ugly red banners.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I really like iOS 7's music player, but one thing I'm disappointed that they haven't yet implemented is the ability to queue songs and modify/rearrange what's coming up, like you can with iTunes' Up Next feature. Is there a simple, no-frills alternative music player app that looks nice and includes this functionality?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've been looking for something decent with queing/playlist management like that for a while.

The two that I've bought are Ecoute and Party Monster.

I actually like Party Monster more, because it's simple as hell, just a list of all your songs and you can add stuff more easily to "Play Next" rather than just add to the playlist. It's very no-frills as you said, just basically a playlist and that's it. The problem for me is that it uses a custom music engine, which allows them to do cool stuff like crossfade and also on your lockscreen it can display the album art with an overlay of the upcoming songs on your list. But the downside is it doesn't mark songs as "played" in your iPhone's library, and I'm a compulsive last.fm scrobbler, so anything played through Party Monster doesn't get counted towards last.fm. Sucks for me, but if you don't care about updating your play count at all, it could be perfect.

Ecoute is much more fully-featured, and it's a lot more gloss than I really need in an app, but at least it uses the built-in music player engine, and as you can see on the final screenshot on the AppShopper page, it does have a playlist which you can sort/delete/etc. with. It's not quite as easy as the Up Next feature in the desktop iTunes, but it is alright.

But please, if anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. It's hard to search for this poo poo in the app store since it will give you a bunch of "FREE MUSIC DOWNLOADS"-type apps for some reason.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The rear end Stooge posted:

I really like iOS 7's music player, but one thing I'm disappointed that they haven't yet implemented is the ability to queue songs and modify/rearrange what's coming up, like you can with iTunes' Up Next feature. Is there a simple, no-frills alternative music player app that looks nice and includes this functionality?

Yeah I'd also like something like this.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pocket Chomp mentioned it already, but I quite like Ecoute. I use it instead of the stock music app, and the Up Next feature is one of the major reasons why.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Is there a recommended app for quickly uploading pictures and grabbing a URL for embedding?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flickr upload is pretty slick with the Photos app integration, but getting the urls of the stuff you upload is apparently impossible because I've never been able to figure it out.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

FastestGunAlive posted:

Is there a recommended app for quickly uploading pictures and grabbing a URL for embedding?

Imgur's mobile site does this and it works pretty well.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Upit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The rear end Stooge posted:

Imgur's mobile site does this and it works pretty well.
Imgur has an app now that works just as well.

There's also Picup which uploads pics to Imgur and gives you links, but since the official Imgur app was released, I had no more use for Picup so I deleted it and never used it again. But it always worked well for me before the Imgur app came along.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
All three imgur apps have bad reviews. I will check out upit.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

FastestGunAlive posted:

All three imgur apps have bad reviews.

Who gives a poo poo if it's a free app? App store reviews are usually hot garbage. Try it out for yourself.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Quoting myself. App works great, has a clean "iOS"-ish aesthetic, and is exceedingly simple.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If the imgur site does it, why do you need an app?

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo

Bottom Liner posted:

If the imgur site does it, why do you need an app?

Because some people, like me, prefer native apps to web ones. Why would you use a word processor when you have Google Docs?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

goethe gear xx posted:

Because some people, like me, prefer native apps to web ones. Why would you use a word processor when you have Google Docs?

Because there is a functionality difference.

Not so in this case though. Just add the web page bookmark to your home page and it's as good as any app.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Sometimes picup will poo poo itself for no reason and the website works fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

goethe gear xx posted:

I get that, but in instances like the Bank of America app vs the mobile website, they're literally the same thing so I don't understand the purpose of having it take up space on your phone.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

I get that, but in instances like the Bank of America app vs the mobile website, they're literally the same thing so I don't understand the purpose of having it take up space on your phone.

Kind of a small nuisance, but I'll sometimes be streaming something in Safari, then forget that's where it's streaming from. Then clicking a web app will cause the stream to stop and lose my spot, since Safari just went to another web page.

(Obviously, there are solutions if I took 3 seconds to bother.)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I use Upit because it resizes before uploading which saves time. This is crucial for mobile power posters like me.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

withak posted:

Note that you can also do this in the gmaps app. Zoom in to the area you want and type "ok maps" without quotes in the search box. You will get an error if you try to grab too large of an area at once.
This is great!

How can I add places in that offline map?

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo

Bottom Liner posted:

I was more commenting on the tendency for some to instantly question others' choices, especially when the choice is between two really similar options. I'm sure the website is good to use, I happen to prefer a native app instead of having a Safari bookmark. I rarely use mobile Safari to start with, and having a bookmark (whether in Safari or on the home screen) is not something I like to do.

In other things, is AppShopper's app ever getting an update? My need for iOS7-looking apps is only trumped by the fact that there seems to be nothing else that does what it does.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

goethe gear xx posted:

In other things, is AppShopper's app ever getting an update? My need for iOS7-looking apps is only trumped by the fact that there seems to be nothing else that does what it does.
I think they replaced the app with a totally new one, for some reason. Search the App Store and the new version should be in there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think they replaced the app with a totally new one, for some reason.

Was it related to Apple shutting down their original app?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

How can I add places in that offline map?

I don't know what this means.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Clear is currently free. It's a great looking to-do list app that is simple but (at least in my mind) effective.

Long story short, they made up a new universal app (Clear+) and removed the old one. People who already owned Clear were choked they would have to pay again for the updated version so they put it back on the store and updated it. Then everyone got confused over which to buy, so they're getting rid of Clear+ and making Clear universal. Clear is going free for 24 hours twice over the next few weeks, including right now, for Clear+ users to move over.

Apparently they are also going to add reminders soon.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

Was it related to Apple shutting down their original app?
I don't know for sure but I would assume so.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

withak posted:

I don't know what this means.
Is it possible to do the "ok maps" in the Google Maps app and then add places to that offline map - like you can on the Google Maps website? If so, then I pretty much got all I need when on holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Is it possible to do the "ok maps" in the Google Maps app and then add places to that offline map - like you can on the Google Maps website? If so, then I pretty much got all I need when on holiday.

You can drop pins I guess.

• Locked thread