Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

That's exactly what it tasted like - an orange/tang flavored bottle of nail polish. Would some of you guys really subject yourselves to drinking half a 750 ml bottle of beer that burns on the way down?

That really sounds like you had a bad bottle. I opened one up awhile ago and thought it was pretty good. Definitely wasn't a drain pour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

It was Bag of Sun Chips not funkybottoms. BTW, I am the one that traded that bottle of Tangerine Dream. In both a message to me and in a post previously in this thread, he described it as an undrinkable acetone bomb. Basically, it was like drinking orange flavored nail polish. Does that sound like something you'd power through just because you dropped $30 on it?

Really? Because his response above simply criticizes them for using "the same base beer and yeast for all of their beers" which is not only laughably false but would also not be a reason to criticize an otherwise tasty beer. People go nuts chasing after The Alchemist's "conan" yeast used in Heady Topper. I have yet to run across someone poo-pooing Heady Topper for them not using multiple yeasts in their beer production, though. If he had a nasty bottle from Cascade, that's a reason to complain. "Because it was disappointing and they use the same yeast for everything" is the reason why that stupid article I posted was written. That type of reaction warrants the hugest eye roll.

Infected? Yes. "I bought a single $30 bottle of beer and it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be so I poured it down my sink" though? Come on.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 26, 2014

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Midorka posted:

I'm drinking Weyerbacher's Insanity, their BBA barley wine, and for the price it's really hard to pass it up. $10 for a 4 pack is great!

I absolutely love this stuff but it's 15-16 a 4 pack here. If it was 10 I'd have bought like 4 of them. Where are you?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
being proud of a pouring a beer out is stupid; not finishing a beer that you find undrinkable is... understandable? perfectly okay? normal? something like that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Catastrophe posted:

Really? Because his response above simply criticizes them for using "the same base beer and yeast for all of their beers" which is not only laughably false but would also not be a reason to criticize an otherwise tasty beer. People go nuts chasing after The Alchemist's "conan" yeast used in Heady Topper. I have yet to run across someone poo-pooing Heady Topper for them not using multiple yeasts in their beer production, though. If he had a nasty bottle from Cascade, that's a reason to complain. "Because it was disappointing and they use the same yeast for everything" is the reason why that stupid article I posted was written. That type of reaction warrants the hugest eye roll.

Infected? Yes. "I bought a single $30 bottle of beer and it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be so I poured it down my sink" though? Come on.

Tangerine Dream was drain poured because it tasted like orange flavored stomach acid, not because it had the same yeast strain or base beer.

My overall criticism with Cascade is that a lot of their bottled fruited sours taste exactly like the same Lacto base with a little bit of fruit added. Just look at their label descriptions - many of them are labeled as a blonde ale aged in oak with Lacto in oak barrels.

Comparing The Alchemist to Cascade makes no sense to me. The flavor profile from Heady doesn't come from the yeast used. Cascade sours, on the other hand, are one dimensional because they use a specific base beer/Lacto yeast in a lot of their bottles releases.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 26, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

being proud of a pouring a beer out is stupid; not finishing a beer that you find undrinkable is... understandable? perfectly okay? normal? something like that.

There have been many occasions where I forced down a bottle of something I didn't enjoy instead of disposing of it because I felt guilty.

And that, children, is how I finished a bottle of Frangelic.

Anyway, if I buy a pizza for dinner from a place I haven't tried before and it doesn't taste good to me? I get rid of it. This isn't snobbery. It's personal taste. I'm not going to eat or drink something I don't enjoy.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

There have been many occasions where I forced down a bottle of something I didn't enjoy instead of disposing of it because I felt guilty.

And that, children, is how I finished a bottle of Frangelic.

Anyway, if I buy a pizza for dinner from a place I haven't tried before and it doesn't taste good to me? I get rid of it. This isn't snobbery. It's personal taste. I'm not going to eat or drink something I don't enjoy.

yeah, it's not like exercise where there's some benefit to subjecting yourself to an unpleasant experience and it doesn't take a full twelve ounces for me to learn that i will not being buying a particular beer again. well, no benefit beyond not losing a couple bucks, but i wouldn't be drinking craft beer if i couldn't afford to do that from time to time, anyway (not that i'm anywhere close to being wealthy, mind).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Miscellaneous replies because I'm not too invested in this argument.

Whoever originally called Tangerine Dream a drainpour, you didn't say anything about it tasting like nail polish at first, just some vague criticism of Cascade beer tasting the same. That's where the other guy's perspective came from.

Drainpouring something bad is obviously fine, but there are a lot of lovely people who drainpour things as a show of how refined their palate is, and if it's not 5 stars, it's garbage. That's dumb.

Tangerine Dream, for example, has a 4.09 across 144 reviews on BA. Obviously your bottle was bad. It also reminds me of when Midorka called Tired Hands Critical Anxious a drainpour. That beer has like a 3.8. Are those reviews inflated? I doubt it. If a beer is disgusting, people wouldn't be reviewing it as "average" or "good."

Why am I bringing up reviews? There's an implication when you call something a drainpour that it is objectively bad, more than just 'not to my taste'. People take offense to that, especially if they've had a good experience with that beer. That's why there's currently a 40 post argument about drainpouring.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

nosleep posted:

I absolutely love this stuff but it's 15-16 a 4 pack here. If it was 10 I'd have bought like 4 of them. Where are you?

Well we have it for $13, I think, but it rings up around $10 for a 4 pack for me. 2 years ago it used to be $8.49 for a 4 pack, same with Heresy. I guess they caught on.

As for Critical Anxious, I'm surprised we had such different experiences. It literally tasted and smelled like drinking the bay when I had it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

That's exactly what it tasted like - an orange/tang flavored bottle of nail polish. Would some of you guys really subject yourselves to drinking half a 750 ml bottle of beer that burns on the way down?

According to what I posted, absolutely not haha. I honestly wasn't trying to indirectly take a dig at you, don't drink nail polish.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I think the point that's being missed is that Bag of Sun Chips isn't being personally roasted, Eejit was just using his statement as a hypothetical example of when ~drain pouring~ is stupid, i.e. if he had actually done it because the beer was sort of disappointing, then that would be douchey. But it turns out that the real reason is because it tasted like disgusting nail polish and he couldn't finish it, and neither could anyone else, so it's not applicable.

I thought the article in question wasn't too bad and even hilarious at times, though all of the sexual references (including the thing about "a girl who doesn't swallow") were forced and awful and made the whole thing dumber. He linked to a few other beer articles he'd written and I thought this one was pretty entertaining:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/beer-geek

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Surprised he didn't make a reference to trading, but other than that, this article is significantly less douchey and with fewer forced sex references.

Results of my 3F gueuze and Abrasive blending experiment (I strongly recommend you try gueuze + IPA blending by the way) are that I think a blend of somewhere between 50% and 75% Abrasive is the sweet spot, and to not go below 50% Abrasive because then 3F just takes over, albeit 3F gueuze taking over is not necessarily a bad thing...

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
There's something called sunk cost: the money is already spent, why continue to expose yourself to something you don't enjoy?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

crazyfish posted:

Results of my 3F gueuze and Abrasive blending experiment (I strongly recommend you try gueuze + IPA blending by the way) are that I think a blend of somewhere between 50% and 75% Abrasive is the sweet spot, and to not go below 50% Abrasive because then 3F just takes over, albeit 3F gueuze taking over is not necessarily a bad thing...

Have you had Cantillon Cuvee St Gilloise? It's dry-hopped lambic. It's interesting but not my favorite.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Uuudar posted:

There's something called sunk cost: the money is already spent, why continue to expose yourself to something you don't enjoy?

Ahhh but that term is usually used as part of the phrase "sunk cost fallacy," which is the incredibly common way of thinking (which I'm guilty of often) that "since I already put so much money into this house/car/beer, I can't give up now" when the right thing to do is exactly what you suggest. I won't choke down a gross beer just because it cost me money; Samichlaus was the only reasonably expensive one that was so offensive it had to be tossed. But I'm sure many of us have had a car that we kept putting money into because we'd already spent a thousand bucks on repairs, so it would be foolish to throw it away, or perhaps forced down a $30 bottle of something that tasted like diarrhoea just because it would be a waste to throw away something that cost so much.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Using the word drainpour instead of saying I didn't like it is incredibly dorky.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

Bundt Cake posted:

Using the word drainpour instead of saying I didn't like it is incredibly dorky.

"shelf turd" is another

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Compusaurus posted:

The blueberry is considerably more noticeable on tap than in bottles.

The difference between fresh Blabaer at Westbrook and the bottle I received 5 mo later as a gift was night/day.

Both great, but on tap it was ridiculous.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Hey, I might be spending the weekend in Bruges. Any recommendations for places to go? Not just beerwise, cool poo poo to take a look at would be good to hear. But if there's somewhere you'd recommend that has awesome beers I can drainpour, I'd love to hear it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

There have been plenty of beers I've opened, not liked, and not finished. I don't see a point in finishing something I don't enjoy. The difference is, I don't sprint to my keyboard to post about the latest godawful beer I dumped down the sink. There's plenty stuff 3.5+ rated on BA that for one reason or another has simply done nothing for me, doesn't mean it's a bad beer, it just means I didn't like it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Hey, I might be spending the weekend in Bruges. Any recommendations for places to go? Not just beerwise, cool poo poo to take a look at would be good to hear. But if there's somewhere you'd recommend that has awesome beers I can drainpour, I'd love to hear it.

I went to Belgium last year and Bruges is a fun-rear end city. Here's a copy/paste of some places I liked from another forum:

quote:

These are two great beer cafes in Bruges. Rose Red is the classier of the two but Brugs Beertje isn't a dive or anything. The woman who runs it is awesome.

http://www.brugsbeer...be/index_en.htm
café Rose Red Brugge | Café Rose Red

You'll also be less than an hour from Westvleteren by car if you feel like checking that box. The Abbey grounds and countryside are gorgeous and, well, Westy XII. De Struise is also nearby. If you head out there, we stopped at a really nice upscale (for us) restaurant. I'm having trouble finding it but I'm 90% sure it's "Molenhof" based on Google searching. It looks kinda lovely on Google street view but inside it was super nice, had a great beer list and the food was delicious.

If the weather is nice, rent a bike and tool around. Belgium is a super bike-friendly country.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't do "drainpours" because I finish all of my beers, even if I don't like them. But I digress.

I went to a Dogfish Head tap takeover at The Pony Bar UES in New York City last night. I liked a lot of what I had, especially the World Wide Stout, which I haven't had in a long time. I had 7 of the beers on tap and on cask, so I think I'm good with not having any of their offerings for a while, especially since a lot of them beat you over the head with a different variety of flavors. In case any of you are in NYC, everything's still on tap and that includes WWS and 120 Minute IPA, so feel free to head on over and help them out.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Definitely go here: http://www.halvemaan.be/
Also go here and get the house beer: http://www.degarre.be/

I also went here, but didn't spend a lot of time: http://www.cambrinus.eu/ Bottle list was pretty good though.

I didn't do a ton of tourist stuff while I was there, but the brewery tour of De Halve Maan was pretty cool. We went to the market in the square on the weekend and that was also cool.

Apache
May 11, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

My girlfriend is going to be in Orlando this week and she offered to pick up some beer for me. She'll be staying near the airport. Are there any decent bottle shops not too far from there? also what local breweries and beers should she be on the lookout for?

There's a Total Wine somewhere in Orlando that will likely have some Jai Alai and other CCB staples. There also might be some stuff from Orlando Brewing. Unfortunately most of the FL breweries don't bottle much, meaning the only way to take any away is in growler form. She may also have luck at any local ABC stores, as many of them have recent growler bar additions.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

uh, Oregoons, you should check out De Garde Brewing's facebook- they're doing an "inventory reduction sale" and i really want a Lily, Vin Bu, and/or Archer that's really neat

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Have you had Cantillon Cuvee St Gilloise? It's dry-hopped lambic. It's interesting but not my favorite.

Yup. Iris is dry hopped too, iirc. The problem though is that St. Gilloise, in the ultra rare instance you can get your hands on it, isn't going to be even remotely fresh, so the dry hop doesn't come through much at all.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Oh yeah I forgot to include Halve Maan. That place is super cool; you don't get to tour many 500 year old breweries in the US ;) The beer's pretty solid, too.

The main square/market is toursty as gently caress but it's also where a lot of the action is so it's at least worth stopping by.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

crazyfish posted:

Yup. Iris is dry hopped too, iirc. The problem though is that St. Gilloise, in the ultra rare instance you can get your hands on it, isn't going to be even remotely fresh, so the dry hop doesn't come through much at all.

Pffft, I drain pour Gilloise and Iris if they're more than a month old. Aged dry-hopped lambics and gueuzes are for the birds. :smug:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Alpine Keene Idea available for growler fills, this Friday and Exponential Hoppiness being released on March 4.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'll be down in Austin for SXSW, so this timing worked out nicely:

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king-cerveza-de-tempranillo-biere-de-merlot-montmorency-vs-balaton

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Widmer and Boneyard are doing a collaboration sometime soon, so you non-OR people will be able to get them in bottle finally (sort of).

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

funkybottoms posted:

uh, Oregoons, you should check out De Garde Brewing's facebook- they're doing an "inventory reduction sale" and i really want a Lily, Vin Bu, and/or Archer that's really neat

Keepers Club members already bitching that their exclusives are not exclusive any more. I guess being guaranteed limited releases isn't enough, small amounts of left over bottles mustn't be sold to anyone else either :rolleyes:

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Phanatic posted:

In addition to the other recommendations, we really liked Poatersgat. Younger crowd, much "cooler", but still great beer. Was a nice change to just chill out in a "normal" bar and have a couple pints of Zinnebier after spending a few days in cozy quiet places with other beer tourists.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

But who wants to go to Tillamook, especially this time of year?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a buncha beer nerds, i'm guessing.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Wowwwww.

ISO: Cerveza de Temperanillo and Biere de Merlot.

Grape sours are my absolute favorite. Atrial Rubicite is one of the best raspberry sours I've ever had, so I'm interested to see what JK can do with some grapes :)

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Soooooo the keg of Fou Foune at Churchkey kicked in 25 minutes.

Anyone with an extra fou foune please help :(

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Cbear posted:

Soooooo the keg of Fou Foune at Churchkey kicked in 25 minutes.

Anyone with an extra fou foune please help :(

I haven't been to Churckey for so long and when I went it was an off time, not crowded and I was drunk after a football game, but I've heard it's always a crowded mess so I haven't really made an effort to go back there yet. I can't imagine what that place must have been like tonight.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I'm still here. Its the most crowded I've seen it. Less DC bullshit and more beer nerds than normal.

Trying some Beer-Brugna right now. Its more plummy than Out of the emptiness which I had the other night. But less sour and tart. Two plum sours in a few days is fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

No kidding, it's like the least interesting town on the coast unless you're really into that cheese factory. I'll probably be able to talk my wife into humoring me with a quick detour on the way back from Seaside or Newport or something this summer, so hopefully I can just load up then.