Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moskau posted:

Re: Artemis Arrows, I finally got the garb and Heavy Slash, and tried it out and it was kind of disappointing. It has a really long wind-up time and the garb starts at 0 ATB. Does it do more damage with higher Heavy Slash level? Right now I'm doing more damage with Helter Skelter + Chaos Revenge + Attack lv4.

Artemis Arrows is very easy damage. That's basically its biggest advantage. You do a lot of damage with very little effort. It does more damage with higher Heavy Slash levels and can trivially break 100,000 and in general is a very big damage dealing attack where you don't have to time it or anything. That is basically what it is good for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moskau posted:

Re: Artemis Arrows, I finally got the garb and Heavy Slash, and tried it out and it was kind of disappointing. It has a really long wind-up time and the garb starts at 0 ATB. Does it do more damage with higher Heavy Slash level? Right now I'm doing more damage with Helter Skelter + Chaos Revenge + Attack lv4.

The damage and stagger is large enough to breach most enemy defences so if your heavy slash is level 4 it does decent damage in any situation. I also read that it ignores enemy defences but I don't think that's true, it's just powerful enough that it still hits hard.

Unfortunately, those are its only merits. The high ATB cost combined with the huge windup and worthless starting ATB makes those advantages moot at best. Worse, the few enemies it would be useful on (Chocobo Eater, Earth Eater etc) have too much health to make it a viable tactic. You basically run out of ATB right when you need it most.

It's probably useful on easy mode as enemy stats are lower and overclock only costs one EP a pop so you can spam it until everything is dead. Even then I wouldn't recommend it as there are much better and faster tactics for the regular game(by default the 0 point starting ATB makes it worthless at culling trash mobs) and the bonus bosses will laugh in your face. In new game plus, it's even worse as you will have better options by virtue of your improved stats and better resources.

Never tried whirlwind kick though. I'll have to give it a go sometime.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Here's a thing that I think should be told to more people:

Share your Ethers and Turbo Ethers, people! Post something, anything, to Outerworld and attach an Ether/Turbo to it. You don't lose items you share! People make a lot of fuss about Elixirs and yes Elixirs are awesome, but they cost like 360,000 gil and gently caress that poo poo. Ethers/Turbos cost like 2800/5600 gil and really help people out.

Similarly, if you see someone selling Ethers/Turbos be sure to cheer them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fedule posted:

Here's a thing that I think should be told to more people:

Share your Ethers and Turbo Ethers, people! Post something, anything, to Outerworld and attach an Ether/Turbo to it. You don't lose items you share! People make a lot of fuss about Elixirs and yes Elixirs are awesome, but they cost like 360,000 gil and gently caress that poo poo. Ethers/Turbos cost like 2800/5600 gil and really help people out.

Similarly, if you see someone selling Ethers/Turbos be sure to cheer them.

I've never even had a Turbo Ether, but the reason people want Elixir is purely so they can buy it for 360k, get the trophy and then reload. Time not spent Soul Seed farming is time well spent.

I've exterminated every last one, including the Chimera Omega which was a bit of a pain and unexpectedly difficult for what it was.

Next stop, final boss, who I am expecting to be a bit of a push over. When I can be bothered. :effort:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If you complete the optional part of the final dungeon... he pretty much is. It's how you unlock the final weapon/shield set, and the stats on those are broken. Only his final form is really worrisome on Normal if you have those, and only because of an obvious gimmick. Much like Aeronite, you can't really hurt him until he's staggered. One stagger is pretty much going to be enough, even if you have no EP, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I did it, it was easy. The third form was lamest because of the incessant juggles which are just grating.

E: Seems like EP is actually going to be a factor you need to pay attention to on Hard mode. At first glance, it seems that every EP reward is halved again from what it is on Normal. Interesting.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 25, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I love this game. I don't know what it is about it. I just recently bought Bravely Default and I'm having problems ripping myself away from Lightning Returns. Even though I'm literally just running around killing things trying to make species extinct and maybe running across a side quest or two.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I hope they release more garbs as DLC sometime. I would love to run around as Agrias Oaks.

I would buy that immediately.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Grimace posted:

I hope they release more garbs as DLC sometime. I would love to run around as Agrias Oaks.

I would buy that immediately.

http://www.dlcentral.com/xbox360/xbox360news/lightning-returns-dlc-extra-garbs-out-now-includes-moogle-lover-outfit/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bor8i4q_mCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpvoj4JFh4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Cl3oQLAQo

Apparently the ultimate savior and divine wear are really OP. But lol those prices.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 26, 2014

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I'm currently watching the ending to this game.

Holy gently caress. This is both somehow spectacular and stupid at the same time.

Quite an ending to the clusterfuck that is the Fabula Novis whatever series.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

That Twitch xbox video is painful, but those other garbs you showed are pretty great. Here's hoping SE will still develop a few more even though the game has been out in Japan for four months.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Grimace posted:

That Twitch xbox video is painful, but those other garbs you showed are pretty great. Here's hoping SE will still develop a few more even though the game has been out in Japan for four months.

Both looks pretty cool, and the one that is basically Lightning Must Die mode is something that would be cool to see more of in the game. Huge boosts with huge drawbacks like the dark knight garb are cool. Also the game could use more absurd FF boss garbs. I appreciate simple, mostly functional designs like dust and shadow, but sometimes you need a ten foot long spike on one shoulder and a furred half cape on the other while half your face is turned into some void portal. Or just being covered in moogles.

But most importantly, they need to make a dlc tonberry garb. Almost 0 ATB recharge speed, 0 starting ATB, and a skill that one shots any normal monster.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 25, 2014

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Where are you hearing/learning that they are OP?

Also someone already mentioned this but that last video link is incorrect.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I really love how DLC descriptions don't mention stats or really explain anything about what you are buying.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
For the curious, here's the Ultimate Saviour video.

To be honest, I find it adorable how you make squeaky sounds when walking in the moogle outfit.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

pichupal posted:

For the curious, here's the Ultimate Saviour video.

To be honest, I find it adorable how you make squeaky sounds when walking in the moogle outfit.

That one looks pretty ridiculous, but it does have a pretty awesome looking ability. Excalibur and Aegis are always swanky too.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, I've seen the ending.

Words fail.

No, wait, I thought of some. Please, please tell me Lightning saying "we'll be together soon" was her talking to Serah or something and not, as I fear, to Motomu Toriyama. Or, worse (?), to the player.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Words fail.

No, wait, I thought of some. Please, please tell me Lightning saying "we'll be together soon" was her talking to Serah or something and not, as I fear, to Motomu Toriyama. Or, worse (?), to the player.

Almost certainly to Serah. For one, she isn't in Japan!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mikeraskol posted:

Where are you hearing/learning that they are OP?

Also someone already mentioned this but that last video link is incorrect.

Fixed the link, but looks like I was beaten anyways. Well look at the crocea mors weapon in the divine wear dlc. It is a 2 hit weapon that is powerful while also having the lowest str reduction. You are literally doing 130% dmg per strike. The shield is also good since you can block basically all incoming damage, assuming you remember to block. Cosmic arts is terrible for stagger, but it has ridiculous damage multipliers for the cost. The weapon and shield for the ultimate savior costume basically make you unkillable due to all the regen, and the ability is pretty good too.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Fedule posted:

Words fail.

I read an interview somewhere saying that that way to be open to interpretation. But yeah, that seems like the most likely scenario, so :iamafag:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Fixed the link, but looks like I was beaten anyways. Well look at the crocea mors weapon in the divine wear dlc. It is a 2 hit weapon that is powerful while also having the lowest str reduction. You are literally doing 130% dmg per strike. The shield is also good since you can block basically all incoming damage, assuming you remember to block.

Yeah, but they both reduce your maximum health by ninety-five percent. That's a hard pill to swallow in a game where avoiding damage entirely is difficult.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Fedule posted:

Words fail.

Oh good, not just me that those two things occurred to then.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, but they both reduce your maximum health by ninety-five percent. That's a hard pill to swallow in a game where avoiding damage entirely is difficult.

Ya which is why the shield has insanely high block. If you can block, you will dominate.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

That moogle one is okay I guess but those other two are stupid. Instead of just making DLC costumes that you make sure people are going to buy by making them powerful, just give me more fanservice. A FF1 warrior of light costume, a Tifa costume, etc. I like this game a lot, and I'd spend a couple of bucks to run around with a feather-frilled leather jacket and gunblade.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Mischitary posted:

That moogle one is okay I guess but those other two are stupid. Instead of just making DLC costumes that you make sure people are going to buy by making them powerful, just give me more fanservice. A FF1 warrior of light costume, a Tifa costume, etc. I like this game a lot, and I'd spend a couple of bucks to run around with a feather-frilled leather jacket and gunblade.

I'm honestly very surprised that the Warrior of Light's garments aren't available in the game, considering the WoL is pretty prominent in the Slaughterhouse posters found throughout Yusnaan. It's like they're teasing!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Maybe if there's a Snow DLC, he'll get a WoL costume? The datalogs mention his deal with Cactuar, and I want to see how that came about. Have it set during right when he becomes Patron, and have it basically be Final Fantasy: Final Fight.

EDIT: Heading into Day 8 and I really liked the conversation with Lumina. I thought I would hate her character, but the mind games between her and Lightning are fun. I was happy when she finally brought up that Hope seems...off. And it's neat to see that Lightning is aware of the bullshit around her and is planning on a contingency.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 26, 2014

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I really hope we get some brutally difficult DLC bosses. I've really enjoyed the battle system so far, but nothing has taken me more than two or three tries to figure out.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Systematic System posted:

I really hope we get some brutally difficult DLC bosses. I've really enjoyed the battle system so far, but nothing has taken me more than two or three tries to figure out.

So far the only real problem I've run into is not being able to do enough damage to the last ones of the big monsters before they just win by attrition, but that is no doubt due to the dumb schema I'm running. Unfortunately I don't think boss dlc or any dlc past what we just got seems all that likely. It's a shame, because the core combat system is really good and wouldn't even need much more polishing at all.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
FFXIII-2 did get fairly extensive DLC, for more than a year after release. That's the only reason I have any hope.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i'm getting the Soul Fragment things and the game mentions that the Soul Seed guys give you one if you have a Soul Seed and something from the Moogle Village, i didn't see anything there when i did the first sidequest that sends you in there and when i got there first thing in the morning there didn't seem to be anything to interact with other than the field that i can't plant anything in. Am i suppose to just come back later when the moogles are actually out and about or something?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i'm getting the Soul Fragment things and the game mentions that the Soul Seed guys give you one if you have a Soul Seed and something from the Moogle Village, i didn't see anything there when i did the first sidequest that sends you in there and when i got there first thing in the morning there didn't seem to be anything to interact with other than the field that i can't plant anything in. Am i suppose to just come back later when the moogles are actually out and about or something?

There's a quest you can get there from 19:00-07:00 called "Peace and Quiet, Kupo" involving some dryads. One of the quest rewards is a Moogle Fragment, which is what you need.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Running around on Day 7 and killing everything in my path... Finally decided to try out the Cloud Strife suit. Put on a Heavy Slash 5 in my circle space, then staggered an enemy. Slayer was doing something like 50,000 damage, atleast. I love the fanfare at the end too, but it sounds a lot louder than the rest of the game's music.

Gonna try to upload a few Ethers and Turbo Ethers over the next few days, so keep an eye out for "Knives McBride." I try to label them with "Ether:" before each message so people can know they're being sold. I recommend everyone else do this too, because it's a pretty cool way to help others out with the game for no cost.

PunkBoy posted:

Maybe if there's a Snow DLC, he'll get a WoL costume? The datalogs mention his deal with Cactuar, and I want to see how that came about. Have it set during right when he becomes Patron, and have it basically be Final Fantasy: Final Fight.

I didn't get any of FFXIII-2's DLC but the Commander Shepard suit for Serah and the Ezio Auditore robes for Noel, but there were three different add-on scenarios: one for Snow, one for Lightning, and one for Sazh. One was planned for Hope and Alyssa too, but it never came together.

Maybe another goon can unearth more about what happened in all of those little stories. I'm definitely curious, but I just didn't want to spend the money on the scenarios when they wouldn't be very long or add anything to the main game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Sazh's was the best DLC because it was just gambling, and the reward was Sazh as by far the best Synergist "monster" in the game.

And you can put an afro on his afro.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So, I was kind of paranoid about the time limit, and since I hate being under time pressure in games, I decided to spam chronostasis for all I was worth and use guides to track down the sidequests. So far, I've done almost every side quest in Luxerion, Yusnaan and the Wildlands, the first 3 main quests, and I have 4/5 of the fragments for the 5th story mission.

It's 7am on Day 5 :shobon:

Edit: Now I read over some other posts in the thread, how badly have I screwed myself if I've wiped out half the creatures in those zones? I didn't realize that they would drop better stuff late ron, though it seems kind of obvious now...

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 26, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not massively so. The level 3 skills are cool, but they're not vitally important. The skills you've got during your planet wide genocide should suffice if you combine them with the ones you're yet to get from the enemies you haven't wiped out.

I've just got my platinum, finishing the platinum collection for the XIII trilogy and the most masochistic thing I've ever done.

:ssh:I enjoyed them all actually:ssh:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If you've been wiping them out when they drop level 1 skills, shouldn't you be able to level them up to 3 yourself? I've genocided a fair few species, and I'm swimming in skills and have been able to synthesize most of them to level 2 and then some. No level 3 yet, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, you can. It's probably the beat way to go about it technically. A level 3 Blitz you raised from level 1 will have a lower ATB cost than a level 3 dropped one. The auto ability will be worse in all likelihood but apparently you can mess around with those somehow. It seems more metagaming tactics than anything else though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Aurain posted:

Yeah, you can. It's probably the beat way to go about it technically. A level 3 Blitz you raised from level 1 will have a lower ATB cost than a level 3 dropped one. The auto ability will be worse in all likelihood but apparently you can mess around with those somehow. It seems more metagaming tactics than anything else though.

Basically if you mix ability A and ability B together and both have different auto-abilities, the ability from A is the one passed on. Fortunately, the game is pretty nice, and the strength multiplier will always be higher than that of the two abilities, and the ATB cost will always be the lower of the two abilities, so order isn't important there. That means that you can farm for a high level ability with a rare auto ability and then just make it eat the one you've raised from level 1 to get the reduced ATB cost and higher strength multiplier.

Note that that's definitely not something necessary to do in a normal playthrough and probably not even super necessary on hard, but it's an option for if you really want to min/max. However, if you do decide to do this, it helps to plan it out, otherwise you'll end up like me and have to do a second run through normal because you extincted the stupid thunder monkeys that end up being the only source of Thundara, Thundaga, and Electric Blitz (among other things).

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 26, 2014

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Making the main character an emotionless straight-man in a world filled with All Of The Animes was the best decision ever.

'I am pretty sure sheep don't lay eggs' :what:
'Oh no, you saw through my disguise' :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Note that that's definitely not something necessary to do in a normal playthrough and probably not even super necessary on hard, but it's an option for if you really want to min/max. However, if you do decide to do this, it helps to plan it out, otherwise you'll end up like me and have to do a second run through normal because you extincted the stupid thunder monkeys that end up being the only source of Thundara, Thundaga, and Electric Blitz (among other things).

I love Electric Blitz so much. I killed the Yusnaan boss on Hard (not + version) in 20 seconds with it because I was hitting him for 400,000.
I'm sure the other elemental blitzes own as much, but I don't have good ones of those yet.

• Locked thread