Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Oh hey that looks familiar...

:clint:

I like yours better though.

sorry its a big thread and im phone postin

as penance I'll let an npc smuggler call me "Stoopid!" and let them live instead of casually murdering them in their swamp hole for a steel dagger and some common clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I won't take an oath of silence and walk across the drat island without setting a Mark spell first tho

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Hello Caldera! I'm here all week.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
My headcanon for creeper is that he's a former daedric beancounter on the lamb with a pocket dimension full of pilfered demon treasure he can access once a day.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I just wanna bang on a drum all day!

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

The Protagonist posted:

My headcanon for creeper is that he's a former daedric beancounter on the lamb with a pocket dimension full of pilfered demon treasure he can access once a day.

What about the mudcrab?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Moridin920 posted:

Nope, Nalcarya is broken and after you steal a diamond from her, all diamonds in the game are now unsellable to her because it marks them stolen from her.

Otherwise the game keeps track of original owner for every item stolen. You can see the list with the console.

If I steal an iron sword in Balmora, I can sell it to anyone in Vivec. Guards will still take all stolen items off of you though and stick them in an evidence chest.

Yes, but if you steal an iron sword, sell it in vivec, then later on try to sell the same guy a totally different iron sword he'll be flagged to flip out and claim its his.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Fargo Fukes posted:

What about the mudcrab?

disgusting creature, i hope to never see another

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Fargo Fukes posted:

What about the mudcrab?

Has a drinking habit for being on dry land for too long.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fargo Fukes posted:

What about the mudcrab?

Successful retired pirate, now running a store to support his crippling alcoholism.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

The Protagonist posted:

:eng101: Creeper is Barbas, the shape-shifting hound of Clavicus Vile.

edit: so basically, you're mostly correct.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 26, 2014

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dagoth Ur: Before we fight, can I offer you a little ancient Dagoth brandy? :D
Almost forgot this thing. I know it damages your stats but I'm not passing up some rarest booze before the final showdown

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Just did the quest for Therana (insane kwama egg telvanni lady). Holy poo poo the reward.

Constant effect feathered daedric greaves + cuirass? thanks crazy lady!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Whorelord posted:

Just did the quest for Therana (insane kwama egg telvanni lady). Holy poo poo the reward.

Got these on right now, with the Masque of Clavicus Vile.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Whorelord posted:

I met her the other day. I hovered up to her room and found her burning books with a naked Khajit slave and some Moon Sugar and I politely hovered back down.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The egg lady is the best. I see her and all I can think of is Edith Massey's character in 'Pink Flamingos'.

EGG MAN OH EGG MAN HELP HELP!

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Replaying because of this thread.

At least two of the race/sex combos (Dunmer females and Imperial Males) have the worst idle noise ever, which is just the VA doing a big sniff noise, like when you suck back snot into your sinuses instead of blowing your noise.

It is loving revolting. Thanks Morrowind.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gasmask posted:

At least two of the race/sex combos (Dunmer females and Imperial Males) have the worst idle noise ever, which is just the VA doing a big sniff noise, like when you suck back snot into your sinuses instead of blowing your noise.

The bosmer have a great idle noise which is a really contented sigh

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Gasmask posted:

Hey, all that ash really clogs your sinuses.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Successful retired pirate, now running a store to support his crippling alcoholism.

Oh I like this, I can even see it now: pirates entertained by the chance discovery of a sentient talking mudcrab take is aboard as their official mascot and delight in feeding it rum whilst singing pirate shanties.

One day after many successful swashbuckling adventures and laden with gold the ship capsizes and all hands perish save one: the waterbreathing mudcrab.

Now he spends his days drowning his sorrow whilst making trips back and forth to the waterlogged treasure to which only he knows the locale.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

Now he spends his days drowning his sorrow whilst making trips back and forth to the waterlogged treasure to which only he knows the locale.

And that treasure? The elusive recipe for the Fishy Stick. the secret ingredient is a septim

Whorelord posted:

The bosmer have a great idle noise which is a really contented sigh

If I recall the bosmer male has "All I wanted was a hug" as an idle self-dialogue. Lovable little cannibals aren't they

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I could kill that guar these boots are ruined

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I will never get over how jarring it is for the dialogue window to be begging you for help then for the NPC to talk some poo poo to you as soon as you exit the conversation.

"Outlander. What do you want?"

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

unless you have 100 disposition dunmer females sound angry all the time

one of their greetings at 80 disposition is "what do you want of me outlander?" which sounds really aggressive for someone that supposedly likes you

quote:

If I recall the bosmer male has "All I wanted was a hug" as an idle self-dialogue. Lovable little cannibals aren't they

"You must be a theif because you've stolen my heart!"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i got that "you must be a thief" line in some Telvanni town, and assumed it was because she was at a really low disposition to my character (i forgot i had killed a coprus stalker for her)

i was about to engage in some racist murder until she finished the line

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Thinking about reinstalling this for the sole reason of finding that dwemer puzzle box

also skyrim is loving depressing to play since all the color is washed out and everything is covered in snow

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm playing Morrowind for the first time right now in the Year of our Lord 2014 without any mods. I am in the extremely rare position of playing it after having fully played both Oblivion and Skyrim. It is the best Elder Scrolls game if for no other reason that it made me aware that in one point in time Bethesda was capable of designing quests with actual depth that require investigation and allow the player to use their own imagination and creativity when it comes to completing them.

All the haters who says that Morrowind fans are just nostalgic can gently caress off, best Elder Scrolls game then and still the best now. Also I'm not using any guide or walkthrough but I don't get lost all the time because I'm not an illiterate retard.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 26, 2014

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

"save this guy whose under attack in this tower south of these ruins!"

read south as north, ended up flying halfway back to tel vos before i read my journal again :downs:

this happened yesterday...

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Best thing about morrowind is finally having enough gold to enchant a constant effect levitation item and never walking again.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Any quest mods that are actually good asides from TR?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm playing Morrowind for the first time right now in the Year of our Lord 2014 without any mods. I am in the extremely rare position of playing it after having fully played both Oblivion and Skyrim. It is the best Elder Scrolls game if for no other reason that it made me aware that in one point in time Bethesda was capable of designing quests with actual depth that require investigation and allow the player to use their own imagination and creativity when it comes to completing them.

All the haters who says that Morrowind fans are just nostalgic can gently caress off, best Elder Scrolls game then and still the best now. Also I'm not using any guide or walkthrough but I don't get lost all the time because I'm not an illiterate retard.

Good. Now stop reading this thread. Best thing about Morrowing is finding out poo poo on your own.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

I've heard the abolitionist Twin Lamps mod is good but I haven't started it yet.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lately I've been enjoying how different NPCs describe their own and (in the case of savants) other people's races. Like how Telvanni nationalists think Bretons are barbarians, Nords are monsters, and Orcs and Argonians are literally animals.

One of the things Khajiit sometimes say about themselves: "Some Khajiit are thieves. Others are very, very good thieves. :radcat:"

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Morrowind is probably more fun to talk about than it is to play.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Also I'm a huge baby

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I remember the first time I played through a quest where an NPC was like "you need to give this other NPC a poetry book cause he likes poetry." So I went out and just explored until I found a random merchant with a few books sitting around, read through a few of them until I found one with like 2 random stanzas of poetry in the middle, then bought the book and tried to give it to the dude, and he loving accepted it and the quest went on.

It was such a mundane thing but holy loving poo poo was I excited about not being led around by the diaper to one very specific poetry book with ~*~POETRY~*~ written in big loving font on the front with a big fat waypoint over it and no other book would do, but instead I was just told "hey go find a book with criteria X or whatever, you're on your own," and I did... and it worked.

Hell maybe it was all an illusion but just the feeling of having a quest designed to let you step off the rails for a second was incredible. Contrast that with everything Bethesda and the majority of games have done since and you realize how cool this actually was.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 26, 2014

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i'm legit excited for openmw. gonna get my mod on up all in that optimized engine. the possibility of a functioning online mode, makin quests and environments n poo poo to play with friends is just too much.

never thought openmw would get so far and actually have some sort of realistic release date

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

SunAndSpring posted:

illuminated order ws pretty good

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

kazr posted:

i'm legit excited for openmw. gonna get my mod on up all in that optimized engine. the possibility of a functioning online mode, makin quests and environments n poo poo to play with friends is just too much.

never thought openmw would get so far and actually have some sort of realistic release date

Yeah, me too.

The biggest thing I can hope for is, unfortunately, one hell of a big thing, but I want to see a combat engine revamp. Specifically a melee system overhaul.

Personally I think a dice-roll MMO type system of auto-attack with active abilities on top (abilities like Mana Spender Extra Hard Hit, bleed over time, mitigation debuffs, personal shout buffs, etc) with a global cooldown system and the whole shebang would be ideal because it seems like it would be the easiest to implement and the most engaging on a moment to moment basis.

I mean in a perfect world I think I'd rather see a melee system that's an animation-dependent, stamina-using Dark Souls type system but come on let's be real.

After than, a customizable XML based UI overhaul would be pretty dandy.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GreatGreen posted:

I remember the first time I played through a quest where an NPC was like "you need to give this other NPC a poetry book cause he likes poetry." So I went out and just explored until I found a random merchant with a few books sitting around, read through a few of them until I found one with like 2 random stanzas of poetry in the middle, then bought the book and tried to give it to the dude, and he loving accepted it and the quest went on.

It was such a mundane thing but holy loving poo poo was I excited about not being led around by the diaper to one very specific poetry book with ~*~POETRY~*~ written in big loving font on the front with a big fat waypoint over it and no other book would do, but instead I was just told "hey go find a book with criteria X or whatever, you're on your own," and I did... and it worked.

Hell maybe it was all an illusion but just the feeling of having a quest designed to let you step off the rails for a second was incredible. Contrast that with everything Bethesda and the majority of games have done since and you realize how cool this actually was.

I think it was that quest, but you could bust into that guys room steal his own poetry books and then give it back to him and he'd be like, "that takes balls outlander, we cool"

• Locked thread