Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That looks like an awfully uncomfortable bed!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Behold the baddest rear end uke (and uke player, Buckman Coe) ever:

I had the pleasure of recording his band inside a tattoo parlour in Vancouver - that little uke running through some reverb, a touch of dirt and a sizable combo amp was an absolute thing of glory.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 26, 2014

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'd have thought banjos immune to the stupidity of musicians, but I guess I was wrong.

I nearly bought this sort of thing at a music store today, with a slightly caved-in top and a crack in the back.

While better than the used Rogue mandolin they had with the half-inch action (WHAT THE gently caress) it looks like it has a tumor, and is sorta broken.

EDIT: I'm not saying mandolins like this are seriously ugly, but they sure look a little dumb. And as you may guess this music store with a ton of used gear had way too many First Act guitars. Ugh.

Is that a Weymann mandolin? Some of them have real tortoise shell. I rarely see them without cracks. They also sound like poo poo. Lots of them in Pennsylvania, for a while at auctions, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Thanks craigslist.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
GWAR are selling their gear?

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Wonder how loud the pop is when you switch it on and off. Must be deafening.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Harry in Rio posted:

Is that a Weymann mandolin? Some of them have real tortoise shell. I rarely see them without cracks. They also sound like poo poo. Lots of them in Pennsylvania, for a while at auctions, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one.
Don't know the brand but it sounded like poo poo. Even when tuned it sounds horrendous just playing a simple G chord. I kept testing the tuning because it sounded that bad. No real tortoise shell here, just wood.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

I nearly bought this sort of thing at a music store today, with a slightly caved-in top and a crack in the back.

mandolin trying to be a bouzouki :xd:

Bufonide
Apr 21, 2012
A black metal band invited you for an audition? Paint your face like a panda and bring this serious axe!

Dec 26, 2012

just make sure you dont put an eye out on the way there

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Midee posted:

mandolin trying to be a bouzouki :xd:

aw man bouzoukis rule but don't hate on a bowl back mando, one love brah

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Bufonide posted:

A black metal punk band invited you for an audition?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010

Carbon Thief posted:

How about an assortment of ridiculous banjos?

Hey now, I have one of these! I think it looks okay, better than the fugly telecaster-shaped one at least.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
That's a classy banjo, if I wasn't a broke bitch I'd snap one of those up.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
ok i'm not reading 120 pages of this thread but did someone post karl sanders spear guitar yet?

bc i'm posting karl sanders spear guitar

:wtc: nile is such a silly band

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Gamma Nerd posted:

ok i'm not reading 120 pages of this thread but did someone post karl sanders spear guitar yet?

Nile owns and this makes me love them even more, it's so loving goofy.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Nile owns and this makes me love them even more, it's so loving goofy.

i have a couple hundred plays of 'em on last.fm, one of my favorite death metal bands. just saying that is possibly the most impractical guitar

he also has a double-neck with one neck that's fretless 11 string, but at least that doesn't run the risk of putting a dude's eye out. though if you're at a nile show, i think the SPEAR GUITAR would help you think twice about whipping your smartphone out when you're in front of the stage

on topic: idk if this one has been posted but this is pretty much the definition of silly prog metal guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BgNhR9oisM

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Just want to drop off this gem right here

someone please call about the, "in hand tone description".

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

they're so loving amazing. his solo albums are weird and cool as gently caress too

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

someone please call about the, "in hand tone description".

It sounds like a Fender after dark phone line advert.

:downs: :Now tell me how the neck feels in your hands. don't stop.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
ARE PEOPLE READY FOR poo poo TO GET WACKY

IS THIS EVEN MUSIC, I DON'T KNOW YOU TELL ME

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
i think conlon nancarrow would either roll in his grave or get a dead guy boner from looking at those pics

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fleshy echidna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouxbu-bfbVY

Truly, California's Gold!

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

That thing is amazing and I want one in my house right the gently caress NOW.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Gamma Nerd posted:

on topic: idk if this one has been posted but this is pretty much the definition of silly prog metal guitar
behold... the arctopus is excellent music to play if people linger on at a party for too long and you just want them to leave.

this rules and the guy rules as well

just look at him go, he's having a blast

KidSamson
Feb 13, 2012
If that guys job is playing that thing then he has the best loving job in the world

Dec 26, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

also silly prog metal guitarists, look at those fuckin nerdlingers

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

KidSamson posted:

If that guys job is playing that thing then he has the best loving job in the world
I want one of those and I don't even know what it is.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Irradiation posted:

22 fret. A few of the frets almost look like they're scalloped on one side and there's a decent amount of glue on the fretboard from the frets.

I missed this.... Are you saying the frets are glued in? Thats.... :psyduck:. Who glues frets?

Snowy posted:

Thanks for mentioning that, it led me to this great post, "The Occult (Hidden) Origins of the Gibson Les Paul Guitar" http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186448

There's plenty of gems like:

"The Les Paul guitar is bound in muslin strips during the binding process in the same manner that Isis used on the first mummy of Osiris.
The Egyptian mummy is also associated with the first use of animal glue."

Tone mummies.

fleshy echidna posted:

Holy poo poo that is the best instrument. I need one.

ThanatosOfOne
Mar 24, 2009

White Dog Eggs posted:

I missed this.... Are you saying the frets are glued in? Thats.... :psyduck:. Who glues frets?

I was under the impression that almost all manufacturers used either and epoxy or a cyanoacrylate. I tried my hand at defretting a bass (peavey fury IIRC) a long time ago and was told to use a soldering gun to loosen the glue on them when I tore a chunk of fretboard out on one of them.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Bufonide posted:

A black metal band invited you for an audition? Paint your face like a panda and bring this serious axe!

Good luck getting that through an airport.

content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wK_qjsnS0s

reminder: this is an official video of the high-end division of Fender. This was approved by somebody.

So it's kinda like a BMW M3 add.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

ThanatosOfOne posted:

I was under the impression that almost all manufacturers used either and epoxy or a cyanoacrylate. I tried my hand at defretting a bass (peavey fury IIRC) a long time ago and was told to use a soldering gun to loosen the glue on them when I tore a chunk of fretboard out on one of them.

It's not something I've ever noticed on all the instruments I've worked on, frets are usually barded and just press in, gluing them in seems kind of redundant. The soldering iron thing is usually used to heat the metal and make it more malleable, you have to use a gun-type one though as the pen ones doesn't get hot enough. Removing frets is less fun than sticking salted pinecones up your rear end after riding a bike all day, it's hellish and takes loving ages. The idea of glued frets is going to give me nightmares.

Rob Ford posted:

Good luck getting that through an airport.

content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wK_qjsnS0s

reminder: this is an official video of the high-end division of Fender. This was approved by somebody.

So it's kinda like a BMW M3 add.

Haha, what??? Not even Ed Roman would have claimed the neck shape effects tone. Are these guys hungover?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Ghost Farts posted:

behold... the arctopus is excellent music to play if people linger on at a party for too long and you just want them to leave.

i have all of their albums on my ipod, and i make sure to play one of their songs when i give someone a ride because i'm "that guy" and it's hilarious to see normal people react to music nerd music

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BUSH 2112 posted:

because i'm "that guy"

don't fuckin be that guy.

ninja edit: don't be that fuckin guy.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

BUSH 2112 posted:

i have all of their albums on my ipod, and i make sure to play one of their songs when i give someone a ride because i'm "that guy" and it's hilarious to see normal people react to music nerd music

Could someone explain to me what the appeal of this kind of music is for music nerds? Like are there secret hilarious messages in the notes?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
nile wrote a song about castrating and impaling captured slaves on the erect cock of a statue of pazuzu therefore they are the greatest band :colbert:

also one about smearing yourself with dogshit and then eating it to protect yourself from demons

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

BUSH 2112 posted:

Do this with Napalm Death's "You Suffer" thrown a few times randomly in a playlist instead, dude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGOT4d2Hs8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Gilgameshback posted:

Could someone explain to me what the appeal of this kind of music is for music nerds? Like are there secret hilarious messages in the notes?
Apparently music nerd music is super-complicated, super-technical playing, all for the sake of playing super technical music.

John Coltrane was the greatest saxophonist who has ever walked this planet and he knew when to loving belt out crazy notes, and when to go minimalist and simple. Even when he could play things that are basically impossible for mere mortals to play, sometimes he chose not to. Guitarists should learn from him instead of thinking that Yngvie Malmsteen is the epitome of good guitar playing. It leads to buying dumb guitars too.

• Locked thread