Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Gamersgate has the game discounted
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DOM4TA/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascension

Just in case you want to gift it to some friend...

Do you know if this gets you a steam code or is it a standalone download?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Neruz posted:

Yeah the effect ten or so Worms that Walk positioned at the fore of your forces has on an orderly enemy formation is pretty impressive.

Which seems like a pretty heavy expenditure until you realize they can't die and are casting storm of thorns and poo poo and paying their weight in murders

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Flython posted:

Pretty sure you can activate it on steam

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

My entire plan for the first Dom 4 game I played was spamming Call the Worm that Walks and then I never got the research or gem income to pull it off.

I am not good at plans, but yeah, definitely in the wormfan camp.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Flython posted:

the key for dom4 is universal between all versions. you can activate it on steam.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

I guess it's time to pick it up then, thanks for the help people.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

I Love You! posted:

Which seems like a pretty heavy expenditure until you realize they can't die and are casting storm of thorns and poo poo and paying their weight in murders

drat, I wasn't too intrigued by them before but I sure as hell am now.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Jabarto posted:

drat, I wasn't too intrigued by them before but I sure as hell am now.

They're definitely a summon that's better in multiples. I mean what isn't, but 3 or 4 of them can really clog up a battlefield with garbage incredibly fast and consistently. I recommend playing around with them in debug mode for a good time.

I wish they were thaum 7 but they might honestly be too good if you could get them that early.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Goon multiplayer games are the best. :allears:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Flython posted:

I guess it's time to pick it up then, thanks for the help people.

Now it's 75% off, so yeah, really it's the time to pick it up!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to get some people who have been interested since Dom 2 to finally dive in with the Gamersgate deal. They are, however, not goons. Are there any non-goon game services?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Now it's 75% off, so yeah, really it's the time to pick it up!

Well gently caress, must have missed that extra discount by a just a few hours.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Pomp posted:

I'm trying to get some people who have been interested since Dom 2 to finally dive in with the Gamersgate deal. They are, however, not goons. Are there any non-goon game services?

There is Llamaserver.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
You should be able to get them approved anyway as long as they coo

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

It's also ridiculously easy to host direct-connect games yourself since you can run the executable as many times as you want. My RL group of 9 people uses a single old laptop in someone's closet to run 5-6 games simultaneously at any time.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Since there seems to be decent demand for it, I'll host a public version of the GGS. Should be up at dominionsturntracker.com sometime soonish. Of course the current GGS will remain as it is at brainwrinkle.net.

If someone wants to write a good guide on hosting games for pubbies, I'll throw it up there too.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I Love You! posted:

You should be able to get them approved anyway as long as they coo

It's like 6 people.

brainwrinkle posted:

Since there seems to be decent demand for it, I'll host a public version of the GGS. Should be up at dominionsturntracker.com sometime soonish. Of course the current GGS will remain as it is at brainwrinkle.net.

If someone wants to write a good guide on hosting games for pubbies, I'll throw it up there too.

:hfive:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Now all the goons can haunt the public tracker games, acting in concert as a single mindless whole to obliterate the pubbie infestation.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Finally picked up Dominions 4 after being in love with all the lets plays, too bad they always die off, 75% is just too sweet of a deal to pass up. I have no clue what I'm doing but it looks like fun.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cainer posted:

Finally picked up Dominions 4 after being in love with all the lets plays, too bad they always die off, 75% is just too sweet of a deal to pass up. I have no clue what I'm doing but it looks like fun.

First step: read the manual. It isn't optional!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

First step: read the manual. It isn't optional!

Step two: Realize that manual lies about many, many things. Thus begins your journey down the rabbit hole.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Are there any mods people would recommend for Dominions 4? Stuff like balance changes or AI improvements.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Flython posted:

Are there any mods people would recommend for Dominions 4? Stuff like balance changes or AI improvements.

Get the debug mod to test things. In terms of gameplay and balance and stuff, since the game is really intended to be played multiplayer it's more along the lines of "install whatever mods the current multiplayer game is using".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm finally going to try out this weird loving game. Time to read the manual, just like when I was a kid riding home from the store with my new computer game.

The gamersgate key works with Steam if anyone's worried.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Step two: Realize that manual lies about many, many things. Thus begins your journey down the rabbit hole.

What are some of the more glaring examples of this?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Most things have been corrected in the Dom4 manual. Now that it finally has an index I can tentatively say that it's kind of useful? The glaring errors are mostly omissions in the spell list, which fails to properly classify some spells or provide a complete list of effects.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Flython posted:

Sombre's AI Recruitment Mod is pretty good, but it doesn't address the basic problems the AI has with the game, it just means they get less lovely tribal troops. It helps a bit, maybe?

There isn't any agreed-upon balance mod at the moment, not that there ever really was with Dominions 3 either.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I haven't delved into multiplayer yet but my last singleplayer game made me realize that yes, this is, in fact, the best game ever. After having a Starspawn get eaten by a Vastness then another one summon a goddamned horde of Greater Otherness then turn into a gibbering, feebleminded husk of his former self I had an Illithid Lord get into the hall of fame. His ability? Unequaled obesity.

I have the world's fattest Illithid. He has like 60 hit points and doesn't need to move because gently caress it, mind blast. He just sits in the back of the army refusing to move or die and pukes psychic damage all over. That makes me very, very happy.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just started playing and I'm having a hard time with the endgame.
Once it's me vs some other moderately powerful pretender, I don't know how to build some big "gently caress you" armies/units that'll start ruining his poo poo. He's got armies of like 300 Enkidu and regular armies don't seem to work well against that. Are there any generally good summons or artifacts I should be building towards?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Once it's me vs some other moderately powerful pretender, I don't know how to build some big "gently caress you" armies/units that'll start ruining his poo poo. He's got armies of like 300 Enkidu and regular armies don't seem to work well against that. Are there any generally good summons or artifacts I should be building towards?

A lot of endgame strategies are going to be heavily focused around how you built your pretender or how deeply your recruitable mages can delve into magic, so it is kind of difficult to tell without knowing your nation, and many of the 'generally good' pieces aren't easily compatible with all nations. The inspector tool is a really good way of being able to see in just a few minutes what you can do with the resources you have available to you, then you can use the debug mod to test them out in action (take a pretender or nation with astral 1 to do wishes for fast gems).

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the difference between a thug and an sc?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Thugs are units designed with two purposes in mind: 1) to be able to solo raid province defense and small raiding armies and 2) to do the above as cheaply as possible.

SCs can be designed to fulfill a variety of roles but generally the idea is to design them for endurance and staying power. Multiple types of defensive abilities, spells, and resistances that allow them to solo or duo large armies.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Thugs are basically intended to be mass-produced so they can dance around enemy territory killing PD and raiding poo poo but never engaging actual armies. SC's are bigger Thugs with better equipment intended to fight actual enemy armies. In Dom3 they'd fight solo but thanks to a bunch of nerfs in 4 most SC's operate with some form of backup or risk getting sniped.

An SC can also double as a Thug in a pinch; running around raiding poo poo.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think one of the big differences between SCs and Thugs is that SCs tend to have a lot better and/or diverse magic paths so they can cast a lot of self buffs/battlefield enchantments without having to sacrifice item slots.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Once it's me vs some other moderately powerful pretender, I don't know how to build some big "gently caress you" armies/units that'll start ruining his poo poo.
With Ur, work around your strong Earth/Nature magic and make those armies much more powerful.

Basically anything 6+ in Enchantment/Alteration/Construction is going to be a big deal, try it out with the Debug Mod so you find out what good combinations are, and what the counters are.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Jabarto posted:

What are some of the more glaring examples of this?

Not exactly a lie per se, but the price of globals don't really correlate to their effectiveness.

The most useful globals tend to be gem generating globals and gift of health (if you're alive) or burden of time (if you're a piece of poo poo undead jerk or if your guys live a really long time and you're a jerk.)

Globals that harm enemies in your domain are pretty useless unless you have really strong dominion and you've been actively spreading it all game.

All the globals that summon something like the ghost ship armada, lord of the hunt, etc. are a huge waste of gems.

The blood globals are all bad, and even astral corruption is pretty underwhelming by the time you can cast it. If it was a level 5 spell, it would be interesting. Even blood vortex, (the one that generates blood slaves) doesn't usually net you more than 3-4 hunters would, and it kills THOUSANDS of people every turn in the province that it's cast in and in nearby provinces in a semi-random radius. Most of the people that die will be your people, which will lower your income AND make it much harder to blood hunt.

There are lots of gimmick globals that don't seem to really factor into MP games much--by the time someone casts them, that person has either clearly won or lost, so it doesn't really make a difference.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Smerdyakov posted:

All the globals that summon something like the ghost ship armada, lord of the hunt, etc. are a huge waste of gems.

The Wild Hunt is actually an exception because the Lord of the Hunt is fuckin hardcore and likes to do things like attack enemy pretender gods and enslave them,

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

Neruz posted:

The Wild Hunt is actually an exception because the Lord of the Hunt is fuckin hardcore and likes to do things like attack enemy pretender gods and enslave them,

Pretenders are immune to spells like enslave mind

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Diabl0658 posted:

Pretenders are immune to spells like enslave mind

I have no idea how he did it but the one time I cast that spell, three turns in I looked at a battle report and noted that the casualties listed -1 Titan of War and Wisdom on my side and 1 Titan of War and Wisdom on the enemy side. Unfortunately I wanted to see if he'd keep his new pet pretender and ended the turn (he didn't) to check how the gently caress he actually pulled that off.

The Lord of the Hunt can do something that lets him potentially mind control pretenders. I don't know how or why but I know he can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I would actually argue that the stupid blood global that has demons seducing commanders isn't totally useless, since it's sort of a throwaway to cancel out other globals and actually tends to jack a province or so every turn for the rest of the game since it basically bypasses PD. It's also funny as hell and that has to stand for something.

And the death global that causes disease to anything that's taken damage is absolutely crippling if you like being a huge fucker and sending in 1 mage to cast foul vapors or some other 1 damage battlefield spell and then retreat a few turns later.

• Locked thread