Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Snowdens Secret posted:

I love it when I'm the passenger / co-pilot and some brainless ICE system wants to lock me out of working the GPS or other features because the car is moving. There's more than one seat that can reach this thing, you know.

Sure. But the guy explicitly said he wants to watch video while he's driving. I mean, there's restricting passengers stupid, and publically admitting to wanting to not pay attention to the road when driving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I know a guy who rubber banded a DS to his steering wheel and played through the entire Phoenix Wright series while driving to work so maybe try that I guess.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I know a guy who rubber banded a DS to his steering wheel and played through the entire Phoenix Wright series while driving to work so maybe try that I guess.

I guess a turn-based game in stop-and-go traffic is less distracting than a lot of other things you could be doing.

At least he wasn't masturbating?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Back in the 80's my dad used to hold a book with both hands and drive with his knees. Maybe that's why he never had a manual trans.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I kind of wish my 93' BMW had a clutch interlock. I've forgotten a few times and had it do the starter crawl.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
I want to give my regards to the rear end in a top hat in front of me who had one of his front wheel tires fall off of his car at highway speeds and hit the car in the other lane. :downsbravo:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I was almost that guy once. I turned onto the on ramp for the highway and heard a clunk. The turn felt very very wrong. Pulled over and my left tire was hanging on with three half backed out lugs.

Thanks Canadian tire.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

8ender posted:

I was almost that guy once. I turned onto the on ramp for the highway and heard a clunk. The turn felt very very wrong. Pulled over and my left tire was hanging on with three half backed out lugs.

Thanks Canadian tire.

I was gonna say, it probably wasn't that guy's fault but rather whoever rotated his wheels last.

Not like the infamous autocrosser who I'm sure swapped wheels out himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

davebo posted:

I was gonna say, it probably wasn't that guy's fault but rather whoever rotated his wheels last.

Not like the infamous autocrosser who I'm sure swapped wheels out himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I

This will never not be hilarious. Was there any back story to this infamous video posted?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This will never not be hilarious. Was there any back story to this infamous video posted?

That poor FD :(

If I recall the shop that mounted the wheels used lug nuts with the wrong thread pitch.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I think they used 1/2-20 lug nuts instead of M12s?

Close enough to feel like it's going on right, but they bugger off the second you do anything other than load it onto a trailer.

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

Motronic posted:

I mean...yeah...I disable that poo poo so I can drag myself around on the starter...

What does one do when stuck on a RR X-ing in a new car?

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I don't know why I'm a part of this Facebook group...

I think he might be part of this new Internet group; The Trollers.

That Attention!-thingy surely goes away after 5 secs of power on, right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fattig posted:

What does one do when stuck on a RR X-ing in a new car?

Push the clutch to the floor before engaging the starter? :confused:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Job Truniht posted:

I want to give my regards to the rear end in a top hat in front of me who had one of his front wheel tires fall off of his car at highway speeds and hit the car in the other lane. :downsbravo:

I saw a guy in a Mitsubishi doing 75 with a donut on the front wheel yesterday. Was it him?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
After a long time I've got an update of my own car situation, which seems to have helped get someone off the road now, but I have no idea for how long.

Back in June 2013 on my way back home from work, an rear end in a top hat tailgates me until we get to a red light with me in front, pulls into the left-turn lane to get besides me, then as soon as it goes green he pulls out, cuts me off and slams on his brakes, causing me to rearend him at a fairly low speed.

Police gets on the scene, takes both statements, turns out guy was drunk or at least buzzed enough to be breaking the law. The good thing is that he was honest about what happened and didn't try to bend the truth or adjust his story in any way. Police tells me not to worry and that he's basically at fault(for being drunk, for braking in a situation which didn't require it and for tailgating) There were no witnesses but the statements matched close enough. Insurance broker also tells me not to worry, they'll do their best to help me and will keep me updated.

Car has cosmetic damage on the front, needs a new hood, headlights, bumper and some other stuff. A cost estimate is drawn up and sent to both insurance companies.

He got a court summons of which I was notified through my insurance company, court date is set for March 14 this year. Insurance informs me of this as well and I expect to have to go there too. This is actually good news since it'll most likely mean he'll be found at fault along with the other penalties.

However, today I found out that his insurance company made a payment covering the repair costs. Contacted my own insurance companies and found out that his insurance decided he was fully at fault. Additional paperwork is still on its way so this kinda came out of nowhere(although it turns out my insurance broker already received the information on monday)

Contacted my insurance companies(the legal business is handled by a separate company as part of my car insurance) today to see what was up and found out that I don't have to go to court, and all I have to do is get my car fixed and send them the invoice.

Other guy still has to go to court of course for what he's done and will most likely end up with a suspended license for a while, along with other costs and fees.

It's taken 9 months, but at least some justice was served.

If I have enough left over from the payout after getting the car fixed, I'm getting a dashcam. In this situation it would have sped up the proceedings quite a bit apparently.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I've only made it to page 42 of this thread so far, and god drat there are some morons out there in the world after reading all of your experiences (not to say I don't constantly see idiots in my corner of CT, because I do).

Yesterday I get off exit 7 on I-95 on my way home from work, pull up to a red light behind some shitbox. Light turns green and I notice the reverse lights on the car in front of me quickly flash and then the car starts moving :raise: We both take a right at the light and get to another intersection with a red light. Light goes green and cue the same thing happening again to the shitbox in front of me :crossarms: Turns out this shitlord is SO LAZY that they can't be bothered to hold their foot on the brake at red lights, so much so that they choose to put the car IN PARK each time. :wtc:

Also, this thread has made me want a dash cam more than anything. Seriously, it blows my mind how 95% of people on the road have a drivers license. Very few people seem to understand that they are driving almost a ton of metal that CAN KILL PEOPLE.

edit: Also, I loving HATE mini vans and their poo poo brained drivers.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 26, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GramCracker posted:

I've only made it to page 42 of this thread so far, and god drat there are some morons out there in the world after reading all of your experiences (not to say I don't constantly see idiots in my corner of CT, because I do).

Yesterday I get off exit 7 on I-95 on my way home from work, pull up to a red light behind some shitbox. Light turns green and I notice the reverse lights on the car in front of me quickly flash and then the car starts moving :raise: We both take a right at the light and get to another intersection with a red light. Light goes green and cue the same thing happening again to the shitbox in front of me :crossarms: Turns out this shitlord is SO LAZY that they can't be bothered to hold their foot on the brake at red lights, so much so that they choose to put the car IN PARK each time. :wtc:

Also, this thread has made me want a dash cam more than anything. Seriously, it blows my mind how 95% of people on the road have a drivers license. Very few people seem to understand that they are driving almost a ton of metal that CAN KILL PEOPLE.

edit: Also, I loving HATE mini vans and their poo poo brained drivers.

Wait, at long lights I'll put my car in park, am I endangering myself or others in some way?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, at long lights I'll put my car in park, am I endangering myself or others in some way?

Not really, just making some autistic drivers behind you angry for no apparent reason.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Seems like it would be easier/safer to put it in neutral instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the aversion is mostly based on the fact that people are impatient as gently caress and that fraction a second you spend shifting from park to drive is a fraction of a second you could have spent accelerating and getting out of their way.

Sitting at a stop light in park is probably safer because it eliminates the chance of the car going out of control if the driver has a heart attack or a seizure or whatever.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If it's a really long light and I know the sequence I'll do that. Hell, I turn off the engine too. I'm talking lights that are a several minute wait though. Not every 30 seconds, and if I know the order of the light so I can start it before it goes green.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
There is an inherent danger with putting your car in park while stopped due to the possibility of not having control of your car should a dangerous situation arise. It's the same reason why it's illegal to coast in neutral while driving. It's not intuitive, but you can avoid accidents with your accelerator pedal just like you can with your brake pedal.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

Not really, just making some autistic drivers behind you angry for no apparent reason.

Angry is a bit of a stretch, more so confused than anything.

xzzy posted:

I think the aversion is mostly based on the fact that people are impatient as gently caress and that fraction a second you spend shifting from park to drive is a fraction of a second you could have spent accelerating and getting out of their way.

Sitting at a stop light in park is probably safer because it eliminates the chance of the car going out of control if the driver has a heart attack or a seizure or whatever.

I'm more worried about them accidentally nailing it in reverse.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 26, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rcman50166 posted:

There is an inherent danger with putting your car in park while stopped due to the possibility of not having control of your car should a dangerous situation arise. It's the same reason why it's illegal to coast in neutral while driving. It's not intuitive, but you can avoid accidents with your accelerator pedal just like you can with your brake pedal.

But there are certain accidents you can avoid with the car in park, too.

As soon as you get into a car and enter the traffic system you're accepting some "inherent danger." I doubt what gear the vehicle is in at a stop light has much impact on that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Smoke posted:

Other guy still has to go to court of course for what he's done and will most likely end up with a suspended license for a while, along with other costs and fees.

Glad to hear things seem to be going better than expected. Make sure to look for this guy on a cheap Wal-Mart bike as he joins the ranks of suspended-license drunk drivers, feel the schadenfreude.

Park-at-a-light chat, I'll occasionally throw the Studebaker into neutral at a long light, because it really wants to roll forward while in drive and putting it in neutral saves my braking foot a little bit. Plus, I just have to push down a little on the stick to put it in drive and head off.

If I wanted to put it in Park, you'd never know anyway... it goes Park - Neutral - Drive - Low - Reverse so no reverse flash :v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rcman50166 posted:

Surprise bear attacks?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Or maybe the guy's idle is all hosed up in his noted shitbox and he can't leave it in drive or it dies? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

spog posted:

Surprise bear attacks?

In this scenario it's probably surprise shark attacks.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Or maybe the guy's idle is all hosed up in his noted shitbox and he can't leave it in drive or it dies? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that.

Wouldn't be the first time I've *driven* that. :v:

I sometimes will drop into park at a light if I have to readjust my position - I'd rather not slip off the brake or slip onto the gas while in gear.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

rcman50166 posted:

but you can avoid accidents with your accelerator pedal just like you can with your brake pedal.

I keep seeing people bring this up, can you actually think of a scenario where coasting to a stop in neutral results in an accident because you're unable to accelerate away from an accident? The number of factors required - the need to speed up to avoid a collision coupled with it happening so quickly that you wouldn't be able to shift back into gear from a roll - seem to push this into the realm of near impossibility.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

the need to speed up to avoid a collision coupled with it happening so quickly that you wouldn't be able to shift back into gear from a roll - seem to push this into the realm of near impossibility.

Especially considering the accident you end up getting involved with you probably never saw coming. Go watch Adaptation again for a taste of what it's like to get hit. That poo poo comes out of nowhere.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

Turns out this shitlord is SO LAZY that they can't be bothered to hold their foot on the brake at red lights, so much so that they choose to put the car IN PARK each time. :wtc:

back in school I had a shitbox Tempo with a leaky rear brake drum - and no money to pay for repairs.

I learned real quick to throw that bitch in park at lights.

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 26, 2014

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Push the clutch to the floor before engaging the starter? :confused:

And how does that turn the wheels?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The most common way I've used the accelerator pedal to dodge accidents is when someone is merging/lane changing into me because they failed to check their blind spot. Depending on whether or not I'm already passing them, or more than halfway past, a little gas to put me in their peripheral vision is a lot safer than trying to brake hard enough to avoid it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

LloydDobler posted:

The most common way I've used the accelerator pedal to dodge accidents is when someone is merging/lane changing into me because they failed to check their blind spot. Depending on whether or not I'm already passing them, or more than halfway past, a little gas to put me in their peripheral vision is a lot safer than trying to brake hard enough to avoid it.

I'm not questioning that you can avoid an accident by accelerating away from it - I'm questioning rolling in neutral being a factor in not being able to accelerate away. If the accident happens so quickly that you can't clutch in and pop back into gear you're pretty much hosed regardless of being in gear or not.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

You're all sperging out a bit much about this... I'll throw autos into neutral at long lights, or in a stick shift I'll be in neutral off the clutch and throw the parking brake on if it's a long light.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Listen man, I didn't make up the rules. But most laws are such to keep people out of danger. Having the ability to accelerate gives you more control of your car than not being able to. Having more control of your car makes it safer to drive. End of story.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

rcman50166 posted:

Having the ability to accelerate gives you more control of your car than not being able to.

Still waiting to hear that scenario where coasting to a stop in neutral or putting your car in park at a particularly long red light is the primary cause of an accident.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
True story I was rear-ended while accelerating in stop and go traffic. I check my mirror when at a stop in such situations but didn't expect it to happen when I was moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

rcman50166 posted:

What? Where is that law, can you provide actual proof of that? I've never heard of anything remotely like that.

Geoj posted:

Still waiting to hear that scenario where coasting to a stop in neutral or putting your car in park at a particularly long red light is the primary cause of an accident.

I actually had an insurance company try to get out of paying me when a dude rear-ended me claiming I wasn't using my brake at a stop light. I was, and I got my claim paid, but it was still loving unbelievable. I could believe someone hitting the back of some guy because they don't have brake lights on though.

Also people without brake lights loving suck. Driving without brake lights driving in heavy traffic is super dangerous, it can be hard to judge speed (specifically the fact you are slowing down) even for a decent driver.