Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Old Man Pants posted:

You are looking at weeks to months if you send it to pioneer.

That's surprising to me. I would have thought in the entertainment equipment industry, companies would have really fast (but possibly really expensive) service for their stuff, to serve people who are touring around or otherwise need it back urgently for their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

ejstheman posted:

That's surprising to me. I would have thought in the entertainment equipment industry, companies would have really fast (but possibly really expensive) service for their stuff, to serve people who are touring around or otherwise need it back urgently for their job.

If you are a legit club you should have at least one if not multiple backups, or enough cash flow to buy a new one in a pinch

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Alright guys, I'm have a crisis of faith - what should I do? I've been using Rane hardware for a long time (10+ years), but I've been a little disappointed because I upgraded to a TTM 57sl *just* before the new line of mixers was announced. By the time Serato told everyone the 57 would not be supported by Serato DJ, it was too late for me to return it.

Right now, NI is selling the Traktor Kontrol Z2 for $599, and I'm pretty tempted by it. I like Serato and Rane a lot, but right now aside from loyalty I can't think of a reason not to try switching. What do you guys things?

For the sake of completeness, I'm at about a 50/50 of mixing and scratching.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Official support from Spotify for a simple iPad DJ app? http://news.spotify.com/us/2014/02/04/pacemaker-for-ipad-the-only-dj-app-with-a-spotify-connection/
I could have really used this at my 1st ever "wedding DJ" gig a few weeks ago. (that I did for the money, don't judge me)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Alright guys, I'm have a crisis of faith - what should I do? I've been using Rane hardware for a long time (10+ years), but I've been a little disappointed because I upgraded to a TTM 57sl *just* before the new line of mixers was announced. By the time Serato told everyone the 57 would not be supported by Serato DJ, it was too late for me to return it.

Right now, NI is selling the Traktor Kontrol Z2 for $599, and I'm pretty tempted by it. I like Serato and Rane a lot, but right now aside from loyalty I can't think of a reason not to try switching. What do you guys things?

For the sake of completeness, I'm at about a 50/50 of mixing and scratching.

The only thing that's stopping me is that Serato is still the standard at almost every venue I've played at. Most of them have the SL box and it'd be a huge pain in the rear end to set up a Z2 in these tiny booths where there's barely room for a laptop without a laptop stand and without being a pain in the rear end to the DJ currently playing.

But yeah, Rane needs to lower the price on the mixer.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Can you run the z2 off an iPad in traktor dj?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

What's wrong with just using your 57SL with Scratch Live? I think Serato DJ still has a ways to go before it fully compares to SL. By the time that happens (at least 2 years), it'll probably be time for a new mixer.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

bad day posted:

Can you run the z2 off an iPad in traktor dj?

Not really, it can be used as an audio intergace for the iPad app, but the faders and knobs don't do anything if my understanding is correct.

Edit: but the iPad or iPhone apps can be used for prepping tracks and syncing to the computer's library, which is really cool. I wish Serato would pick up the pace with their own iOS / mobile development.

TheWevel posted:

What's wrong with just using your 57SL with Scratch Live? I think Serato DJ still has a ways to go before it fully compares to SL. By the time that happens (at least 2 years), it'll probably be time for a new mixer.

Nothing's actually wrong with the 57 and SSL setup - I'm mostly just miffed that the announcements were timed so that I couldn't return the 57 before it was announced as unsupported by Serato. It's not really an issue with either product, but rather that the way it was handled has made me question my loyalty to Serato. The z2 is currently on sale for enough that I could flip the 57 on ebay or something and make money buying the z2.

Edit: This is definitely not a real-world problem, just some goony poo poo.
You made me curious though - what do you think are the shortcomings in Serato DJ right now? I haven't heard of anything from SSL that was broken or not working as well in DJ.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 5, 2014

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Has anyone messed with using dropbox to keep your library backedup/synced?? I do most of my downloading on my desktop and rarely edit/download tracks on my laptop.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Crunchtime posted:

Has anyone messed with using dropbox to keep your library backedup/synced?? I do most of my downloading on my desktop and rarely edit/download tracks on my laptop.

I use box.com to sync my library between my desktop (where I download/edit) and my dj laptop. It works pretty well, no complaints really. One thing I do is keep my downloaded music out of my dj library until I have listened to it and know that it is something I would play. That keeps the dj library to a manageable size, and forces me to keep it organized.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

Lump Shaker posted:

I use box.com to sync my library between my desktop (where I download/edit) and my dj laptop. It works pretty well, no complaints really. One thing I do is keep my downloaded music out of my dj library until I have listened to it and know that it is something I would play. That keeps the dj library to a manageable size, and forces me to keep it organized.

Good call. I just copy/pasted my whole library, but I may go back and fix that.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I use iTunes (ugh) because it can be used to make smart-playlists that are cross-platform/software. It's really nice for its intended purpose, but iTunes doesn't play well with having its library synced or shared.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

I got a bonus at work today :toot: and I can finally afford and justify a new controller. I've been using a Mixtrack Pro v1 for almost 2 years, and with Serato DJ for most of that time (tried Virtual DJ at first, until Serato released DJ with native support for the Mixtrack).
Anyway, my budget is $500 to $600, and I'm considering either a Vestax VCI-380 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QRF9S8/) or a Pioneer DDJ-SR (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pro-DJ-DDJ-SR-Controller/dp/B00FB2VAY2).
I've looked at the Vestax for almost a year, but the DDJ-SR is nowadays pretty close in price and I like that it has 3 FX controllers over just one on the Vestax.
Has anyone had the chance to use both and be able to compare? I'll probably pull the trigger on Sunday, so I have a few days to think about it.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Alfajor posted:

I got a bonus at work today :toot: and I can finally afford and justify a new controller. I've been using a Mixtrack Pro v1 for almost 2 years, and with Serato DJ for most of that time (tried Virtual DJ at first, until Serato released DJ with native support for the Mixtrack).
Anyway, my budget is $500 to $600, and I'm considering either a Vestax VCI-380 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007QRF9S8/) or a Pioneer DDJ-SR (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pro-DJ-DDJ-SR-Controller/dp/B00FB2VAY2).
I've looked at the Vestax for almost a year, but the DDJ-SR is nowadays pretty close in price and I like that it has 3 FX controllers over just one on the Vestax.
Has anyone had the chance to use both and be able to compare? I'll probably pull the trigger on Sunday, so I have a few days to think about it.

I didn't read this properly but buy the pioneer, the build quality of every pioneer DDJ controller is way above the competition.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I have the DDJ-S1 and I am very happy with it and I think the SR is the next step up? You can't go wrong with Pioneer stuff.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I own a VCI-380 but have used the DDJ-SX a lot. I like the Vestax controller a lot better. The jogwheels feel better on the Vestax (better throw...feel heavier) and the pads can control auto loop length, which the Pioneer can't do. I use loops a lot in my set so using the tiny "1/2x" and "2x" buttons on the Pioneer was really annoying. I don't use a lot of effects, so having more effects knobs was a non-issue. The VCI-380 is also really small, which I love since I can just throw it into a laptop bag and hop into a cab. The Pioneer units are way larger and heavier. I mean, it's still easier bringing a Pioneer controller than CDJs and a mixer but it's something to think about.

The only minor complaints I have with the Vestax are that the Mic gain knobs are on the back of the unit, and the knobs are hard to see in the dark. I replaced the knobs with ones from DJ tech tools so that was pretty easy to fix.

edit: I also got my VCI-380 for $399 from B&H. At that price point, it was hard to beat but it appears the price has gone back up on them. Keep an eye out at B&H, their prices fluctuate a lot week to week.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 21, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Welp, sounds like either way I'll be happy, and dealing with a bit of buyer's remorse... but really, either one should be a few good steps up from a Mixtrack Pro. I'm leaning towards the Pioneer because of the layout of buttons and faders.
Mobile considerations are not big yet, but I do hope that with better equipment I'll be more comfortable hitting up gigs. I suppose I'll have to worry about transportation, but that's not a big factor yet.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

I've had my decks set up through an old Waveterminal 192M that finally poo poo the bed. Recording is really really important, particularly for reviewing practice mixes, so I'm looking to get a replacement ASAP... however this time I'm thinking about going completely outboard and buying a portable audio recorder so I'm not tied to a PC at all. Been doing some research and thinking about getting a Zoom H2N, since it has the added benefit of being able to do field recordings. The reviews look positive overall, but there's conflicting information about how good the line input actually is.

Does anyone have any experience with this model, or any suggestions at all for any other piece of equipment that can record off a mixers line out, not sound completely terrible and costs 200 bucks or less? Recording to wav and being able to transfer to a PC via USB is essential, although from what I've researched that looks standard for most stuff.

E: Disregard, ended up getting the H1. Have to crank down the input level, it's a weird hybrid between an actual line in and an unpowered mic input, but overall it was super cheap and exactly what I was looking for. Actually re-ripping my vinyls right now, the preamp is a little hissy but still way better than the straight mixer to soundcard setup I've been running for the past X years. It helps that I don't have to keep turning around and checking my PC for any clipping too.

talktapes fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 23, 2014

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

DDJ-SR arrived today. :allears: I regret nothing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I feel the same way about my SX. I flicked the laptop on the other night and just mixed for hours.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

When you guys export your mixes as mp3s in Audacity what settings do you use? My last mix I set to maximum quality variable mp3 but I was dumb and cranked up the gain to like +6 so it sounds muddy in the louder parts. I know there's a better way of doing this but it's been a while.

Alfajor posted:

DDJ-SR arrived today. :allears: I regret nothing.

welcome to the pioneer cool kids club

roboshit fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 25, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

88h88 posted:

I feel the same way about my SX. I flicked the laptop on the other night and just mixed for hours.

I spent my entire tax return on the SX, when I had a billion and one other things I should have spent the money on. Pretty sure I could live in a hovel with this thing + my music laptop and be perfectly happy. Once I realized just how much poo poo you can do with the dual deck function, all my worries went right out the window.

I can't see myself using more than 4 channels. I got it for $850 brand new. Not really seeing the SR for less than $600 so I figure I paid $250 for 2 decks, (super handy) needle search touch strips and (essentially) 16 more beat pad buttons. Totally worth it, IMO. I truly feel as though I won't need a new controller or mixer for the next 10-30 years.

If you're debating shelling out the extra few hundred for the SX, here are the reasons why you shouldn't.
-It's possible to bridge the gap with software. (Although, I suspect this is the case when comparing most controllers, in general)
-You're stubborn and seriously don't wanna use more than two channels at once.
-You're the opposite and plan on having 6-12 tracks or a huge row of decks.
-You want more than two tracks and are ok with the idea of implementing some sort of multi-track function with whatever DJ software you use. (I didn't wanna do this. I like being able to switch tracks by pushing buttons on the controller vs clicking with a computer mouse.)

For me, 4 tracks is the perfect number. Two isn't quite enough, 6 doesn't really make sense and 8 is a hassle.

My only issue is can I use the software, without the physical controller? I haven't actually tried and I'm at work, so I can't test it out, right now, but is this possible? Is there any way I can download the SR plugin, without having to plug the controller into every computer I wanna use the software on?

I'd really like to be able to dick around on my laptop, without always needing the controller. Honestly, the software is fantastic in and of itself.

Seriously, gently caress work. I wanna get home and push buttons.

cname fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 25, 2014

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
There was some talk earlier about experiences with certain brands' repairs and parts availability. I'm curious as to what people have to say about NI in this regard...

... because my S4 has been out for repairs for more than eight loving months. Maybe I mentioned it before, but the story started about a year and a half ago, with a dead FX button. I brought the thing in its roadcase to Long & McQuade and they called me a week or so later, saying that they needed to send it out to NI's depot in Montreal (or something). I said OK. A couple of months later it came back with the problem fixed... but with a dead fader it didn't have before, and pretty severe damage to the roadcase (one side of the slide-out laptop tray was literally ripped out of its rivets). I brought it back in and raised a bit of a stink with L&M, but really it isn't their fault; they had to send it away and it was probably damaged in transit. That was more than eight months ago. Now every time I call, I can almost hear the L&M employee shrugging his shoulders - I called yesterday and he literally said "I don't know what to tell ya - don't buy a Traktor I guess, huh-huh-huh!" I am beginning to think raising more of a stink will get results, but I'm rather timid. It's a good thing I'm a total gearslut, tricked-out with a full Pioneer rig because otherwise I'd have gone stir crazy months ago.

I guess this is partially a "what should I do to resolve this" post, but mostly I'm curious if anyone's had similar experiences with NI (or L&M, for that matter...). I've got half a mind to just get rid of the thing if it ever comes back, and never buy NI hardware again.

EDIT: I must have psyched myself up with this post; I called L&M in a pretty pissed off way. They got back to me immediately saying "Intellimix called us this morning ... it'll be shipped back within a week." I smell some bull, but hey, as long as I'm getting it back. Now if only they'd replace the roadcase...

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 26, 2014

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

There was some talk earlier about experiences with certain brands' repairs and parts availability. I'm curious as to what people have to say about NI in this regard...

... because my S4 has been out for repairs for more than eight loving months. Maybe I mentioned it before, but the story started about a year and a half ago, with a dead FX button. I brought the thing in its roadcase to Long & McQuade and they called me a week or so later, saying that they needed to send it out to NI's depot in Montreal (or something). I said OK. A couple of months later it came back with the problem fixed... but with a dead fader it didn't have before, and pretty severe damage to the roadcase (one side of the slide-out laptop tray was literally ripped out of its rivets). I brought it back in and raised a bit of a stink with L&M, but really it isn't their fault; they had to send it away and it was probably damaged in transit. That was more than eight months ago. Now every time I call, I can almost hear the L&M employee shrugging his shoulders - I called yesterday and he literally said "I don't know what to tell ya - don't buy a Traktor I guess, huh-huh-huh!" I am beginning to think raising more of a stink will get results, but I'm rather timid. It's a good thing I'm a total gearslut, tricked-out with a full Pioneer rig because otherwise I'd have gone stir crazy months ago.

I guess this is partially a "what should I do to resolve this" post, but mostly I'm curious if anyone's had similar experiences with NI (or L&M, for that matter...). I've got half a mind to just get rid of the thing if it ever comes back, and never buy NI hardware again.

EDIT: I must have psyched myself up with this post; I called L&M in a pretty pissed off way. They got back to me immediately saying "Intellimix called us this morning ... it'll be shipped back within a week." I smell some bull, but hey, as long as I'm getting it back. Now if only they'd replace the roadcase...

The only way to get what you want is to get angry and escalate to higher management. I deal with similar type deals at our work and even though it isn't out fault we will often just have to give the customer a new product due to bad service at the repair agency. 8 months is pretty reasonable to request this, for the roadcase as well I'd say.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Mister Speaker posted:

So was it NI that dropped the ball on the repairs or some third party?

If it's the former, I'm guessing if you had tweeted at NI's DJ/Traktor account with a rant and some pics, it probably would have gotten you some attention. Big companies tend to try and squash bad PR as it pertains to customer service on social networks pretty quick

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The more I think about it and the more I interact with L&M, the more I'm inclined to believe that it's negligence on their part, at least that caused the damage to the roadcase - I now recall one of their repair guys accidentally knocking an MPC off an eight-foot shelf while retrieving my S4 the first time it came back which is a red flag in retrospect. The woman I spoke with at NI support was flabbergasted my S4 has been out so long, and basically told me to grill L&M for details (repair ticket #, Intellimix employee they spoke with, etc.). I did just that, and it seems to have spooked them into action.

In any case, I feel bad yelling at any kind of service staff (especially those with whom I have a 15-year history), but thanks guys; I'm going to raise some sort of Hell about the roadcase when it finally comes back. And I'm bringing my laptop to test the S4 in-store this time. Thanks, Harley C and vanilla slimfast.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, you have to be careful with equipment dealers. I don't know anything about L&M, but when I was first getting into DJing I had a really bad experience with a local gear shop. They were too small to stock much, so anything I bought through them that wasn't bottom-shelf stockable items had to be ordered - this was in the days before it was common to just order things online. I ordered a pair of turntables, and later a mixer through them, and it took *forever* to arrive. Every time I checked I would get some story about how shipping is slow, or the company (Numark at the time) was taking forever shipping.

I happened to run into one of the employees of the shop playing a party at a college, and he was using some of the same equipment I had ordered. So I chatted with him for a bit, and asked him how he liked it, told him I was looking forward to finally getting mine in etc, etc... Which was all well and good until a few weeks later my stuff 'finally came in', and I saw the scuffs and marks on my turntables that I'd watched him put on them while he was spinning at the party.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ OK, that would definitely put me over the edge.

So I was under the impression that they had sent the S4 out to Intellimix a second time, but it's been sitting at L&M all the while - since I raised Hell they have been in frequent contact though; today I got a call informing me that their techs were trying to figure out how to open the unit and install the new fader. Apparently the roadcase has also been fixed, though I'm skeptical to that end because the wood was definitely torn right off of the rivets. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have it back quickfast.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Speaker posted:

their techs were trying to figure out how to open the unit and install the new fader.

Isn't this like mixer repair 101? I'd assume bleeding/broken faders are the most common problem they deal with.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
One would think so... My DJM has (what looks like) a removable panel for easy access to the faders - IMO, that's the way it should be. NI seems to be like Apple, though - you can't get inside the device unless you possess all three Skull Keys and their corresponding Keycards are a licensed NI technician.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Just reporting in to say that my DDJ-SR arrived on Monday, and I've been enjoying the hell out of it. I just had a jam session in my living room with the volume turned up way loud (because Friday night at home :c00lbert ) and it got really easy to get into it, and have a lot of fun.
Perfect timing too, because next Friday night I get to play out once again, and I'm way excited about it all.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
From a dj perspective, if a club owner (ultimately the one to please) expressed preference for Dillon Francis tracks, not as in "hey play some Dillon Francis" but rather remarking that he liked certain tracks I happened to be playing that were made/remixed by Dillon Francis, what similar artists should I be looking for outside of the Jefferies/Mad Decent catalogue?

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

bad day posted:

From a dj perspective, if a club owner (ultimately the one to please) expressed preference for Dillon Francis tracks, not as in "hey play some Dillon Francis" but rather remarking that he liked certain tracks I happened to be playing that were made/remixed by Dillon Francis, what similar artists should I be looking for outside of the Jefferies/Mad Decent catalogue?

Munchi, Bro safari, Nadastrom, Teenwolf, Morrison, Sazon Booya, Craze, UFO!, Codes, charlie darkers remix of make you pop, Tittsworth, GTA, Billy the Gent, Gent & Jawns.

Just tried to go through my moombah tracks and pick out most of the stuff, I can't guarantee they'll all have quality poo poo but they make moombahton!

I'm djing tonight with 3 other DJ's and we're getting it filmed and it's gonna be sweet, I'll update this or post it once the vids out!

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

bad day posted:

I try to factor in stuff like moving equipment - I live in a big city with no car so I prefer to not bring along more than I can fit in a backpack. Which means iPad/traktor z1/laptop/maschine/headphones/various cables is about the upper limit of what I'm willing to haul around. Back in Florida I'd be loading up a loving coffin and crates of records with a PA, stands, and bigass subwoofer - I'll be damned if I ever do that again for less than $200.

I know some people are kind of down on the new technology (not a real dj unless you spin vinyl, etc) but seriously all that crap was a massive pain in the rear end.

Mind if I ask how the whole iPad setup's worked out for you? I've heard some good things in my loose research, but haven't had a chance to talk to anybody who's actually used it for anything serious. Or is it strictly the laptop that comes out when you're doing the professional stuff?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Yalborap posted:

Mind if I ask how the whole iPad setup's worked out for you? I've heard some good things in my loose research, but haven't had a chance to talk to anybody who's actually used it for anything serious. Or is it strictly the laptop that comes out when you're doing the professional stuff?

Friend of mine that runs a dj school used an ipad as well as his laptop and controller when he played a set before dillon francis (topical lol) so I assume that they're pretty good. Don't know about using a standalone pad though.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Speaking of iPads, has anyone used the Traktor app integration with the new S4? I've dicked around with the app on its own, and have a 1st-gen S4 on loan from a buddy that I use to play out(used to DJ with Ableton, now I only use it for live shows). The thought of having true 4-deck control is titillating, but if it sucks then I'd rather know about that up front before purchasing a brand new S4.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

xpander posted:

Speaking of iPads, has anyone used the Traktor app integration with the new S4? I've dicked around with the app on its own, and have a 1st-gen S4 on loan from a buddy that I use to play out(used to DJ with Ableton, now I only use it for live shows). The thought of having true 4-deck control is titillating, but if it sucks then I'd rather know about that up front before purchasing a brand new S4.

For $200 extra, the DDJ-SX does so much more.

-Dual deck function which allows you to control both decks on the same platter, at once.
-Needle search
-8 Button pad with hot cue, roll, slicer and sampler.
-Master Cue

That's just the important stuff off the top of my head.

As far as I know, once you go Traktor, you're stuck with Traktor. Serato supports multiple brands. On the flip side, I don't think Serato has anything for iPad, but I'm not sure how important that is, to you.

I'm not sure how used to the S4 you are, or how much you prefer the layout, but to me, the extra $200 for a DDJ-SX goes an extremely long way.

cname fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 6, 2014

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

cname posted:

For $200 extra, the DDJ-SX does so much more.

-Dual deck function which allows you to control both decks on the same platter, at once.
-Needle search
-8 Button pad with hot cue, roll, slicer and sampler.
-Master Cue

That's just the important stuff off the top of my head.

As far as I know, once you go Traktor, you're stuck with Traktor. Serato supports multiple brands. On the flip side, I don't think Serato has anything for iPad, but I'm not sure how important that is, to you.

I'm not sure how used to the S4 you are, or how much you prefer the layout, but to me, the extra $200 for a DDJ-SX goes an extremely long way.

If the s4 is like the s2 it has master cue, you just have to switch between cue or master or both (its a knob).

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Yalborap posted:

I prefer it to using a laptop - right now I use a traktor z1 with an iPad air - the controller gives you more functionality than I realized at first, there's functions in the app that get unlocked/improve if you own the dedicated controller. I'm very happy, have had it crash twice but force-quitting and restarting the app fixed the problem very quickly, just a few seconds really. Both crashes were while recording, though, and if you force-quit it dumps your recording :saddowns:.

The s4 doesn't add any new functionality over the s3, the remix decks don't work with the iPad app, but it does have balanced outs, which the other two iPad compatible controllers don't have.

Personally I just think a touch interface is such a better way to dj.

bad day fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Surprised I haven't seen talk of this yet: Reloop Tape USB Mixtape Recorder

Thoughts? I think it's a pretty cool little invention for those of us who tend to avoid a laptop - if you've got one, though, it's kind of redundant. I'm also wondering how good the phono preamp is...