Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
That part of Living in Oblivion is directly referencing Twin Peaks, but the scene they reference was not filmed as a dream sequence, and Michael J. Anderson and David Lynch had been friends for years, as Lynch had intended to cast him in the starring, titular role in "Ronnie Rocket," Lynch's intended second feature, and long, long-time passion project. So the implication that Lynch was exploiting Michael J. Anderson is misrepresentative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I thought the whole point of the scene is that the dwarf feels exploited - this same phenomenon happens in In Bruges - the two characters have very similar attitudes to the idea of trashy dream sequences / eurotrash movies with weird dream-logic.

This distinction is important. Again, a movie doesn't have to literally take place in a dream to be dreamlike, and all David Lynch's films I've seen work like that. See Michael J. Anderson's presence in Mulholland Drive (you can interpret a lot of that movie as a literal dream even, although I don't think Lynch intended for it to be a simplistic dream/reality dichotomy when he wrote it as a tv pilot the point remains the same) - the commentary of Living's scene is that dwarves have come to define 'weirdness' in a way that a lesser director than Lynch could be seen to be exploiting. And Nick is a lesser director (I only worked for you because I thought you were tight with Tarantino! etc.).

I really really like Living in Oblivion too :)

Edit: VVVV Yeah, I agree completely.

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 25, 2014

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
I actually agree with everything you said, really I just dislike the way that scene has been used by many as a criticism of Lynch, when it seems to me, and based on what I know of DeCillo, that it is much more applicable, and intended as being so, toward "a lesser director than Lynch." One who would think of "dream-logic" with such inaccurate shortcuts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is what I meant by the influence of Twin Peaks being hard to understate.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've never seen Twin Peaks but I saw the episode of Psych called Dual Spires, which apparently was a painstaking homage to Twin Peaks, and it made me want to watch it...just haven't gotten around to it. It's a really fun episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen the first season of Twin Peaks, and it sure is a thing. To me the most interesting thing about it is that David Lynch is intentionally using a soap-opera archetype, which I feel he is simultaneously parodying and exploiting.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Twin Peaks gets beyond stupid in its second (and last) season but it's still worth watching.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CPFortest posted:

Twin Peaks gets beyond stupid in its second (and last) season but it's still worth watching.
It's really only after the Laura Palmer murder case is revealed. You could maybe argue that the episodes before that in S2 aren't quite as amazing as S1, but they are still awesome. After S2E9 (I think that's when it's wrapped up) the show has a dramatic drop in quality. Some people like the S2 series finale that David Lynch came back to direct, but I thought it was a bit underwhelming and the absolute garbage that preceded it negated a lot of my interest in what happened. My vote is to stop after the main case is done.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Even if you give up halfway through season 2 of Twin Peaks (it really goes downhill once you find out who killed Laura Palmer), it's worth skipping ahead to watch the last two episodes.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I saw two episodes and never really got into it. Should I make more of an effort or just watch the rest of his movies?

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Hbomberguy posted:

I saw two episodes and never really got into it. Should I make more of an effort or just watch the rest of his movies?

Including the pilot? Because when I recommend the show to someone it's the end of the second non-pilot episode that usually tells them whether they're in or they're out.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

Yeah. I tried again after really disliking it at first, now I think it's great. Give it another shot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

As a word of warning, depending on which of the many, many versions you watch, you may be stuck with the European pilot which adds an unnecessary, spoilery, and confusing epilogue to the episode. The episode should end with Laura's mother suddenly waking up, startled, on the couch. If there's anything after that just turn it off and start episode 2.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm pretty sure the version on Netflix is the right version.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But it lacks the Log-Lady intros you get on the DVD...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The third quarter of Twin Peaks's second season is legit some of the worst professional television I've ever seen, but everything around it is some of the best.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah there's a small chunk that's bad but it's not that many episodes. The rest of it is so good you'd be dumb not to watch it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The third quarter of Twin Peaks's second season is legit some of the worst professional television I've ever seen, but everything around it is some of the best.

I really like season 2 of Twin Peaks because it followed the escalation of the first season. Every silly thing in season 2 had precedent in season 1.

Edit: What I'm saying is that season 2 feels like a continuation of season 1 and not a sequel to it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I actually liked the main plot of part 2 of season 2, and the finale is superb, but gently caress every single mid/late S2 James or Nadine scene

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What is the difference between visual effects and special effects? I know (think) visual effects are done entirely in post, but wouldn't special effects be done the same as well?

Ninja edit: Are practical effects like a branch of sfx?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

yoohoo posted:

What is the difference between visual effects and special effects? I know (think) visual effects are done entirely in post, but wouldn't special effects be done the same as well?

Ninja edit: Are practical effects like a branch of sfx?

Visual effects and special effects are terms with mercurial meaning. CGI is explicitly computer graphics.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I know for some- mostly older- films the convention was that special effects were things on set like fires, car crashes, etc. while visual effects were more for optical effects, mattes, animation, and so on.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I keep forgetting when I'm about to grab it; should I be buying the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven or avoiding it?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PTizzle posted:

I keep forgetting when I'm about to grab it; should I be buying the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven or avoiding it?

Only ever watch the director's cut of that movie.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I knew it was definitely one way or the other, cheers! Looking forward to it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Watch the director's cut and then the theatrical cut if you want a crash course in how important editing can be.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Watch the director's cut and then the theatrical cut if you want a crash course in how important editing can be.

The editing was fine in the theatrical cut, it was just missing key scenes.

Edit: Tons of key scenes from throughout the movie, like the movie got horrible cancer all over it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

I know for some- mostly older- films the convention was that special effects were things on set like fires, car crashes, etc. while visual effects were more for optical effects, mattes, animation, and so on.

That is the distinction we are using. SFX is on set and in-camera, VFX is in post.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

therattle posted:

That is the distinction we are using. SFX is on set and in-camera, VFX is in post.

Same. SFX and VFX supervisors by that nature have very different but similar sounding roles. (kill all VFX supes)

e: out of interest, which dept's budget is your SFX coming out of? I'm seeing it bounced to Art Dept a lot lately and I don't feel that's right.

e2: the lines blur somewhat when you have SFX guys make breakaway tables and other props, but say pyro stuff - who do you extract that from?

echoplex fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 26, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Speaking of practical effects, I posted this bit in a hobbies thread, but anyone interested in the real nitty gritty of practical effects might like this too. Check out the Stan Winston School of Character Arts website. You can sign up for a paid account, but you get a 3-day free trial, during which you can watch as many of their videos as you want. Just cancel before the 3 days are up, and you won't be charged. You can also cancel your entire account, and then rereg for another free 3-day trial, ad-nauseum. Keep in mind this stuff isn't glitzy "The Magic of Movies!" type vids, these are "mix these noxious chemicals, how to make a mold, how to make animatronics" vids.

There's tons of vids on everything from mold making, to animatronics, to maquette painting, chroming, sculpting, fabrication; seriously, just a poo poo ton of seriously cool stuff. If you have even a passing interest in any of this stuff, it's hours and hours of crazy behind the scenes stuff of professional effects artists. Hell, you may never need to know how to create a cable-controlled tentacle effect, but it's drat cool watching how it's done.

Great personalities like Jordu Schell and Shannon Shea's stuff are great too, they're really easy going and have fun with the material. Shane Mahan has a few vids up too I believe; much more serious guy, but he's one of the originals from Winstons studio and has some great insights into effects. Plus you get to see loads of pictures of a young Mahan constantly wearing jorts (he may be a nevernude).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

scary ghost dog posted:

The editing was fine in the theatrical cut, it was just missing key scenes.

Edit: Tons of key scenes from throughout the movie, like the movie got horrible cancer all over it

After that watch Brazil and the Love Conquers All cut for another important lesson on editing and how to destroy a directors intent.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

echoplex posted:

(kill all VFX supes)

Yeah. What the gently caress is it with these guys and why are they all so loving bad at their jobs?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

echoplex posted:

Same. SFX and VFX supervisors by that nature have very different but similar sounding roles. (kill all VFX supes)

e: out of interest, which dept's budget is your SFX coming out of? I'm seeing it bounced to Art Dept a lot lately and I don't feel that's right.

e2: the lines blur somewhat when you have SFX guys make breakaway tables and other props, but say pyro stuff - who do you extract that from?

SFX is a separate sub-account under Art Dept. Where would you have it otherwise? Its own account? Art director didn't seem to mind. We kept art and SFX separate when budgeting and qetting quotes.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Any word when/if Snowpiercer is getting a North American release

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Supposedly it is, uncut limited.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

SFX is a separate sub-account under Art Dept. Where would you have it otherwise? Its own account? Art director didn't seem to mind. We kept art and SFX separate when budgeting and qetting quotes.

I would think that an Art Director would want some sort of approval over SFX since you want SFX in your movie to not clash with the rest of the movie's art style... But I'm out of my depth here and know nothing about the machinations of authority in things like this.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Snak posted:

I would think that an Art Director would want some sort of approval over SFX since you want SFX in your movie to not clash with the rest of the movie's art style... But I'm out of my depth here and know nothing about the machinations of authority in things like this.

For me it's one of the continual grey areas of accountability, second only to the fight of Costume and Art Dept bouncing responsibilities for certain items off each other.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Snak posted:

That's a separate issue from where in the budget it sits. I agree but that's not the question. All departments should ensure that their choices are consistent with the whole.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

Any word when/if Snowpiercer is getting a North American release

John Hurt was being interviewed on the latest Kermode & Mayo review podcast/show and said it should be released soon.
According to Hurt the hold up was due to Weinstein wanting to cut scenes (big surprise) to give it more action. Apparently this led to as stalemate between Bong Joon-Ho & Weinstein until Weinstein recently relented and agreed to release as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

That's a separate issue from where in the budget it sits. I agree but that's not the question. All departments should ensure that their choices are consistent with the whole.

Yeah that makes sense. I guess I was making an assumption that some amount of budgetary accountability would confer some amount of authority, i.e. if the art director is in some way accountable for the art department's budget and SFX falls under that purview it might give him some amount of defacto authority in SFX matters. That's just what I was thinking. I see how it doesn't really relate to the question asked. Of course all departments should be working together to make a consistent and coherent film, but It doesn't always actually happen...