Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Of course, it's really just that someone just forgot about her when coding the quest, but it makes me want to add an entire mod just adding hints and mild elaborations of weird crap you run into.

I felt this way about the head of Scourge, which by chance was a cosmetic twin with my vary first character and hoped there was way more to it than what I eventually found out. Same with Big Head... near as I can tell the most character development for any argonian is Fyr's former slave and thief-hunter-guard down in the corpusarium. :smith:

VVV: yep that's what I mean

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The Protagonist posted:

I felt this way about the head of Scourge, which by chance was a cosmetic twin with my vary first character and hoped there was way more to it than what I eventually found out. Same with Big Head... near as I can tell the most character development for any argonian is Fyr's former slave and thief-hunter-guard down in the corpusarium. :smith:

Scourge is a developer's character, IIRC.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Cantorsdust posted:

It's an interesting set of targets, too. It's fun to speculate about who ordered the killings. Spoilers I guess?

Baladas Demnevanni is a reclusive wizard who you recruit to the Telvanni council in that house's questline. His specialty is research into the Dwemer. He's so reclusive that I have a hard time imagining who wants him dead, and I don't know anyone who has an active interest in preventing Dwemer research. Fyr taking out a rival perhaps? That seems unlike Fyr, though.

House Telvanni had been trying to get him to join for some time, and he was...less than polite about it. Maybe someone in the House felt slighted and wanted him taken out?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's the little details in this game that really make it. Like how the Temple has prayers written in Daedric on their robes, or how the Ashlander Tribes have different clothes based on what they can find around the area to wear. Not to mention the lore. For instance, if you read the 29th Sermon and then find the word that corresponds to the sermon's number, you find a secret message relating to Vivec. Also, it's hinted at in some of the books that Talos is actually a big faker and is not an Atmoran but a Breton from an obscure island off the coast of High Rock.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

SunAndSpring posted:

Also, it's hinted at in some of the books that Talos is actually a big faker and is not an Atmoran but a Breton from an obscure island off the coast of High Rock.

That would be The Arcturian Heresy

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Honestly it pains me to say it but Morrowind quest mods have kind of had their day - even Deus Ex Machina, a loving huge and impressive mod with years of work put into it from a fairly well-known modder, got like 3000 downloads and that came out like three years ago. No matter how much work got put into a goon quest project it would get a couple of hundred downloads (from goons) then sink

yeah one I don't care, two openMW is going to at least briefly completely revitalize morrowind.

remember: it's GOTYAY

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mortimer posted:

yeah one I don't care, two openMW is going to at least briefly completely revitalize morrowind.

remember: it's GOTYAY

gently caress, they still sell the Morrowind GOTY set at loving GameStop. It's always GOTYAY.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
the best reason to kill Dagoth Ur is that it removes the blight storms from Red Mountain and shuts down the Ghostfence, so you can just wander in and out of the region (which then has 100% clear skies all the time) from any direction as you please

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zero Star posted:

the best reason to kill Dagoth Ur is that it removes the blight storms from Red Mountain and shuts down the Ghostfence, so you can just wander in and out of the region (which then has 100% clear skies all the time) from any direction as you please

i loved that the first time i killed dagoth ur, i almsivi'd and ended up in ald'ruhn, where there was a blight storm happening. so i guess it only stops blight storms in red mountain and nowhere else :v:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Cannot Find Server posted:

i loved that the first time i killed dagoth ur, i almsivi'd and ended up in ald'ruhn, where there was a blight storm happening. so i guess it only stops blight storms in red mountain and nowhere else :v:
Ald'ruhn got blight storms? I had plenty of ash storms but never encountered a red storm there. Or anywhere else outside of Red Mountain, really.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
So here's something I found on 4chan:

quote:

"I've always found The Elder Scrolls to be a peculiar franchise for its obvious nod to "race realism" as it's referred to, as well as its propensity to have stories and lore glittered with little traces of human history now and again, often even emphasizing Judeo-Christian beliefs and narrative.

It seems to me that the developers of TES series are sort of like us on /b/ - socially deviant chameleons. It's interesting to note the complete lack of uproar over the obvious racial messages that the series portrays, while here in the real world a white man can't even walk with a smile on his face without being told to check his privilege.

Regardless of the reason, the developers of TES have left us a true mystery to unravel: the mystery of TES races and how they correspond to the races here on Earth. So, without further adieu, let's get started..."

quote:

Altmer
"I'll begin with the Altmer (High Elves). The Mer (Elf) races of TES represent what we on Earth know as "Eastern cultures". Apart from being so tall to further drive home the point that these cunts are "superior", the Altmer in too many ways represents the Sephardic Jew.

Long, pointy nose, entitlement, deception, campaign to undermine the social and religious order of the White Anglo-Saxon Nords and their White brother races via the banning of Talos (Jesus) worship, these cretinous shills aren't happy with having their own nation, they must in fact lay claim to all of Tamriel, and they will stop at nothing to turn that wet dream into a reality.

It's interesting that the Altmer have the Thalmor (Gestapo), as if to say "The Jews were the REAL NAZI's!" Next time you're playing Skyrim and you see one of these Jews, don't steer clear - attack with ferocity the likes of which only a Jew could deserve."

quote:

Dunmer
"Now, let's take a look at the Dunmer (Dark Elves). These short, squinty-eyed, ancestor worshipping people with ugly, cracked, and wrinkled faces represent East Asians (Oriental peoples) at large. They're not particularly violent, nor are they particularly trustworthy.

You'll find these gooks hanging out primarily in the Eastern cities of Cyrodil or Skyrim, much like how most East Asians in the West seem to culminate on the Eastern coast of the United States here in the real world.

The racially conscious Nords of Eastern Skyrim distrust the Dunmer because of their unwillingness to fight alongside the Stormcloaks who wish to achieve sovereignty from the Empire. This was also seen during the mid 1800's in the US when confederate officials attempted to contract many East Asian railroad workers in the Western US to join the Confederate Army to help them achieve sovereignty from the Union, and the East Asians refused. Never trust a zip."

quote:

Bosmer
"Next, let's focus on the Bosmer (Wood Elves). Noted for their keen stealth abilities and their affinity for their forest habitat, the Bosmer represent the Vietnamese. Cunning, fast, "living in the trees", the Bosmer share many characteristic from the crafty, stealthy VietCong insurgents of 60's-70's Vietnam.

Not known for many religious practices whatsoever, the Bosmer identity also bleeds into modern Oriental identity in the sense that most Oriental peoples aren't very religious, many in fact being self-proclaimed atheists (particularly in Japan, Taiwan, and... Vietnam.

The Bosmer generally keep to themselves, but are believed to be sympathetic with the non-Mer races. These gooks are obviously less imperialistic than their Dunmer cousins."

quote:

Orsimer
"The only Mer race left to address is the Orsimer race, which most closely resembles African tribal niggers. Wide noses, large nostrils, ornaments and jewelry made from bone, strange piercings, highly aggressive - if only real niggers kept to themselves as much as the Orcs do.

There's a bunch of bullshit added about them to make their race somewhat viable in game, but there's no mistaking a friend of the family; These fucks comprise a disproportionately large number of bandits and bandit leaders, are rude as gently caress, and just don't seem to care to develop any semblance of a civilization - they'd simply prefer to live in their straw and wood huts all day discussing the next fratricide that's going to take place for new leadership.

When playing Skyrim, make it a point to go and sack ALL Orcish settlements. This will be particularly enjoyable now after having learned so much about them."

quote:

Redguard
"The first non-Mer race we're going to examine is the Redgaurds. Though superficially African, these upstanding warriors most closely correspond to the behavioral patterns of ancient Arabic peoples like the Ottomans. Where the Orcs are the REAL niggers in TES, the Redgaurds seem to be a confused, pseudo-African/Arab race like how the Spanish (and by extension the Mexicans and other Mestizos) are an early Arab/early White mix.

The Redgaurds hail from the province of Hammerfell, a Levant-like desert region easily distinguishable from the sub-Saharan African regions which are the actual home of Africans as they're most commonly understood. The Redgaurds are great warriors just like the source of their inspiration, the Ottomans, and there's not much bad to say about them (probably shouldn't be living in White provinces though)."

quote:

Breton
"The Bretons are more complicated than most. They are K-selected Whites (basically, Whites who have a very friend of the family-like breeding pattern which involves having many children, spreading one's investments into their children thin, and leeching off of the resources of other groups).

The Bretons represent Whites who behave like Jews (Ashkenazi Jews). Their voices are raspy, malicious, and disturbing, and they dominate commerce in the Empire (shopkeepers and Imperial politicians are disproportionately Breton, especially in the higher centers).

They are unfriendly with the Altmer and, for gently caress's sake, are attempting to legitimize claims to their home of High Rock, the most ancient land in Tamriel (Jerusalem?). They have magic resistance (resistance to Jewish cunning), and are themselves quite adept at Jewry."

quote:

Khajiit
"Next are the Khajiit. These loving mangy cats represent the Mexicans, specifically (evidence that Tamriel is, at its core, inspired by North America, other regions later being added for the convenience of racial diversity in Tamriel *vomit*)

The Khajiit sound and act like Mexicans. They're shady, sneak-thieving immigrants with bad attitudes and worse track records. Each one sounds like they came out of the South side of an Alamo film and they pedal their moon sugar (cocaine) and skooma (crack-cocaine) from their lovely province into Cyrodill and Skyrim where it doesn't belong.

The Imperials should build a wall from Skingrad to Leyawin to keep them out of the Empire."

quote:

Nord
"Like I said earlier, the Nords represent the Anglo-Saxon/Scandinavian Whites. Having migrated to Tamriel (North America), the Nords settled in the frozen region of Skyrim (Canada) - (there is a high concentration of Anglo/Scandinavian Whites in Canada).

Known for their farming, their courage, and their fighting skills, the Nords embrace a culture rooted in Norse myths and concepts. The Nords value honor, strength, and fraternity above all things - save for Talos."

quote:

Imperials
"The Imperials represent Whites in general. They settled in the heartland of the Tamriel, fought off the Natives, and formed an empire based on Christian philosophy with emphasis on the principals of justice, law, and civility. This pattern follows Whites a long way back.

Interested in the arts, commerce, high culture, fashion, grandiose architecture, metropolitanism, fine alcohol and cuisine, literature, science, and all other things civilized, The Imperials are at the heart of TES (gently caress Morrowind).

TES is a very Euro-centric world in the sense that it takes overwhelming influence from White civilization as the primary foundation for its narrative. The Imperials embody this perfectly."

quote:

Argonians
"The Argonians represent two things corresponding to the different personalities of the lead developers and the producers. The Argonians are an obvious joke on David Icke (an English conspiracy theorist/hero), who claimed that Australia was the cradle of civilization and that a secret reptilian race was born there and spread to conquer the world... in secret.

Thus, the Argonians represent Icke's so-called Jewish Shapeshifting Reptillian Illuminati, and they represent Australians - working docks and fishing as their primary source of income."

Oh and the thread in question: :nws: http://boards.4chan.org/b/res/534622674 :nws:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mournhold. City of light, city of MAGIC.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
^^Why are you on /b/? And furthermore, why would you link to a thread that will be dead in a minute?

e: Oh look, the thread died before I even posted.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 27, 2014

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i thought the tsecki or whatever were analogues for the yellow orient what with samurai swords and all

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I still have no idea if the Tsaesci were supposed to be humanoids with snake-like features or nagas with samurai swords.

Dec 26, 2012

The Worst Muslim posted:

So here's something I found on 4chan:

Oh and the thread in question: :nws: http://boards.4chan.org/b/res/534622674 :nws:

springing traps nobody even set, good work

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

I still have no idea if the Tsaesci were supposed to be humanoids with snake-like features or nagas with samurai swords.

i dont think the lore does either. it doesnt seem to matter though as bethesda doesnt seem to care about extra-tamriel cultures.

there was a sload in daggerfall though. i saw a screenshot once

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I always wondered where everyone was getting Sload Soap from when you never see any in Tamriel, and getting to Akavir is supposedly hard.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Shoehead posted:

I always wondered where everyone was getting Sload Soap from when you never see any in Tamriel, and getting to Akavir is supposedly hard.

That's why it was 50 drakes per!

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
I just posted because I found it funny, that's all. Guy is a crazy America-centric douchebag and everyone in the thread is calling him out on it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Where the hell is Thras supposed to be anyway?

I know that Akavir is to the east, what's left of Yokuda is to the west, Atmora is to the north and whatever the Maomer islands were called are to the south but I don't know where the Sload homelands fit in.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh there was one in Redguard, ugly fucker too.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Where the hell is Thras supposed to be anyway?

I know that Akavir is to the east, what's left of Yokuda is to the west, Atmora is to the north and whatever the Maomer islands were called are to the south but I don't know where the Sload homelands fit in.

Thras is an island chain to the southwest of Tamriel.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

The Worst Muslim posted:

I just posted because I found it funny, that's all. Guy is a crazy America-centric douchebag and everyone in the thread is calling him out on it.

how much do you hate orc niggers

Yellow Jackson
Jan 13, 2013

by Ralp

Down With People posted:

The Imga...

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Down With People posted:

On a scale from 1-10, 1 being Acceptance and 10 being Utter Hatred? I'd probably rate as a solid Genocide the Orcs/10.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

*unticks "Orc Trail of Tears" esp*

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My first character in any TES game is always an Orc. Being pariahs that were, allegedly, created when their god became poop is punk rock as gently caress.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

all the races in tamriel are bad people

nords are Aryan germanic genociders
dunmer are slavers
high elves are crazy racist selectively bred metaphysical genociders
wood elves are cannibals
kahjiit are all drug addicts/thieves/ drug dealers
imperials have imperialism as their race's defining characteristic, also genociders
Bretons are Machiavellian backstabbing fucks
orcs are literal poo poo
argonians are mind controlled genociders who suck so much at genociding they had to wait until their target race had been hosed over by a meteor strike

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Whorelord posted:

all the races in tamriel are bad people

nords are Aryan germanic genociders
dunmer are slavers
high elves are crazy racist selectively bred metaphysical genociders
wood elves are cannibals
kahjiit are all drug addicts/thieves/ drug dealers
imperials have imperialism as their race's defining characteristic, also genociders
Bretons are Machiavellian backstabbing fucks
orcs are literal poo poo
argonians are mind controlled genociders who suck so much at genociding they had to wait until their target race had been hosed over by a meteor strike

redguards, the chillest race

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

kazr posted:

redguards, the chillest race

poo poo forgot about them *not racist*

didn't they nuke their homeland buy turning a sword into a bomb or something?

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Dwemer were the good guys

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Dwemer were the good guys

Dwemer: so smug that they were atheist in a world where gods actively talk to you

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Whorelord posted:

hey now like half their race swarmed into hell and genocided the demons first and then got stuck there

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cantorsdust posted:

Dwemer: so smug that they were atheist in a world where gods actively talk to you

Also enslaved, experimented on, and mutated the Snow Elves into the Falmer.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The Protagonist posted:

hey now like half their race swarmed into hell and genocided the demons first and then got stuck there

i'm sorry I just can't respect a race that lets themselves get buttraped for thousands of years and then gets their revenge in the most below the belt way possible (especially considering how slavery was dying in morrowind anyway)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I think the darkies had it coming. :colbert: It was all probably in Azura's master gently caress-the-dunmer plan too.

Dr. Lenin posted:

:eng101: Creeper is Barbas, the shape-shifting hound of Clavicus Vile.

edit: so basically, you're mostly correct.
I've been meaning to ask, is there ingame material (in either game) to support this?

VVV: that's awesome, I guess Skyrim has some redeeming features I never came across

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 27, 2014

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

The Protagonist posted:

I've been meaning to ask, is there ingame material (in either game) to support this?

In Skyrim, Barbas mentions that he lived as a scamp with a bunch of Orcs for a while.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

failed on the technology end though as sotha sil made stuff approaching modern technology with wires and mechanical muscles while dwemer only made the elder scrolls version of the aibo

harnessing the power of a dead gods heart notwithstanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Whorelord posted:

poo poo forgot about them *not racist*

didn't they nuke their homeland buy turning a sword into a bomb or something?

There exists a tradition amongst the Redguards called Sword-singing. It's essentially becoming a Jedi: a warrior monk so skilled with a sword that it becomes supernatural. One of their techniques was generating a sword made of their own spiritual energy, called a Shehai. These blades could cut through almost anything. Eventually, a technique called the Pankratosword was developed that could allow the sword to split atoms. Eventually, the Sword-Singers had a war with each other, used the Pankratosword a bit too much, and that's what happened to Yokuda.

E: Also, they were the only race of man that has actually finished off their elven enemies. Used to be a race called the Left-Handed Elves that shared Yokuda with the Redguards, until one day they pissed each other off and they were all hunted down to the last man, woman, and child.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 27, 2014

• Locked thread