Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Should we be saving those stamps? I wonder what they were for. Trading cards or something?

I wondered that too and asked about it (got no answers). I've been compulsively saving them anyway.

Love the startling change in color scheme for the battle panels. Hal Foster was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Man, I was reading the thread in reverse and saw this before the original, thinking "Oh Christ, don't tell me this guy's a fan of..." :psyduck:

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Jim's Journal

Doing the things a particle can.

Johnny Hazard

I miss the Nazis. :(

Krazy Kat

riiiiiiiiiiiight

Classic Mandrake

The faciest face what ever faced a face.

Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjuyXR5by2s

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ham Shears

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I feel like we're being baited.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Over at Comics Alliance, Chris Sims has posted a short article about how awesome newspaper Spider-Man is. Thought I'd link it here since there's clearly some relevance.

He also posts monthly recaps of Funky/Crankshaft, detailing the slow descent into misery and gloom.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Nemi

:lol: Just look at those "wasted faces"! Oh Nemi.. :3:
I'm surprised more people don't have Nemi avatars.

Anyway, er...

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
To bring up Library Talk again, I think both analog and digital media have their merits and I don't really understand why people have to come down on one side or the other. My sister and I practically grew up in the library and have a lot of nostalgia attached to the place. I also went to a poorer high school down the street from a branch and I know plenty of students used to walk down there after school to study or hang out or just relax. For lots of people in my area it's the only way they can use the internet or find resources for self-education that won't cost them an arm and leg.

It's also pretty great for finding random cool things you wouldn't have stumbled upon with a streamlined digital approach-I've found awesome pulpy sci-fi buddy cop novels, books about how to raise chickens in a city apartment, books I loved as a kid but forgot the title of and found again completely by chance, and some of my favorite comics were things that just happened to catch my eye there.

Digital media is wonderful as well because it's portable, saves space, quick and efficient, and makes it easy to look up whatever you need. Both services are invaluable in my opinion, but since one has a higher up front cost that most people aren't able to swallow I still hope libraries stick around for a while.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Shout out to Emmy Lou for being a neat comic that I like. Please don't stop postin' it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Say Nothing posted:

Anyway, er...

Garfield has erectile dysfunction.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Anyway, er...

It's so weird seeing Jim Davis/PAWS art of anything that's not the core cast.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Just a few minutes ago at the library I saw an adult and some kids trying to find a movie to watch (this being a movie library). They eventually settled on Iron Man, because it was something they had all heard of, though the girl wasn't happy. It occurred to me that, at a library where you have to paw through the stacks physically and look at lots of bright DVD box art, they would have been less likely to fixate on the popular pop culture reference. Digital distribution may theoretically have everything, but the reality is you're not going to pay attention to most of it because it would never occur to you search for weirdly specific stuff.

edit: ...and my last run through someone else was watching Coraline with her daughter so who the hell knows. That's the problem with random anecdotes.

Darthemed posted:

Garfield Minus Garfield started out as a joke by someone on the internet, but Paws, Inc. (the company which handles Garfield merchandising) 'acquired' the idea and now runs it as an official spin-off online.

I've said it before and I've said it again- Garfield without his thought bubbles is better than no Garfield period. A man with a holeless sweater on his head and two beat panels? Pathetic, but kind of pointless. A man with a holeless sweater on his head while his cat sits by and silently mocks him? Pathetic, and relatable.

Comics (February 9th 2007)

The horror.

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

Oh like there's a good way to continue the conversation from there.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

I also considered Senpai since I'm guessing most of you know what that means even if you don't watch anime. It was only for a few seconds.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 27, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Slylock will put the money inside a snowball and throw it across the ravine to Rachel Rabbit.

Slylock Fox

Nice poker face there Shady.

Moose and Molly

So... what happened to Moose? Was he horrifically injured and unable to get up and the joke is his son's callousness? That's pretty dark.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Welp. I'm sold.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Borden posted:

Welp. I'm sold.
Do you have a bigger version of that gif you can post?

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Do you have a bigger version of that gif you can post?
Yes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Lighten the gently caress up Slylock, they were playing with two decks.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Say Nothing posted:

I've got a Nemi avatar that I made but no one claimed, in case it catches someone's fancy:

This one, however, is claimed (by HeyItsAyls) so no stealin'. But posting it again because,

ed-oops, images fixed

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 27, 2014

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Crossposting:

HorseRenoir posted:

Poster for the new documentary "Stripped", drawn by Bill Watterson(!)

Stripped Film posted:

STRIPPED is a love-letter to comic strips. It brings together the world’s best cartoonists to talk about the art form they love, and what happens to it as newspapers die. Over 90 interviews were conducted, including the first-ever audio interview with Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes), as well as Jim Davis (Garfield), Cathy Guisewite(Cathy), Mort Walker (Beetle Bailey), Mike & Jerry (Penny Arcade), Matt Inman (The Oatmeal), Jeff Keane (The Family Circus), Ryan North (Dinosaur Comics), Lynn Johnston (FBOFW), Zach Weiner (SMBC), Scott Kurtz (PvP), Scott McCloud (Understanding Comics), Richard Thompson (Cul de Sac), Jeph Jacques(Questionable Content), Stephan Pastis (Pearls Before Swine), Bill Amend (Foxtrot), Kate Beaton (Hark! A Vagrant) and more. STRIPPED sits down with these creators to talk about how cartooning works, why it’s so loved, and how they’re navigating this dicey period between print and digital options…when neither path works perfectly.

Even more than comics, this movie’s about pursuing art in an age when the business of art is changing constantly.

There's a more complete list of the interviews in the link. A sort of related thing that Richard Thompson posted on his blog a few weeks ago:

Ohio State University posted:

Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum Announces Two New Exhibitions:

Exploring Calvin and Hobbes & The Irresistible Force Meets the Immovable Object: A Richard Thompson Retrospective

March 22 – August 3, 2014

Two new exhibitions of original art by cartoonists Bill Watterson and Richard Thompson will delight fans of Calvin and Hobbes and Cul De Sac. The exhibitions open March 22 at the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum (BICLM) and will be on display through August 3, 2014. An opening reception on Friday, March 21 from 6 – 8 p.m. is free and open to the public. The companion shows provide a unique opportunity to see the original art of these two gifted cartoonists, who are friends and admirers of each other’s work.

Didn't see it mentioned here.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I think all the weird comic-focused stuff OSU has is the biggest reason I miss the place (and maybe the only reason I miss Ohio). They always had really cool exhibits, and if I recall correctly, the big center for the arts houses a ton of original copies of strips like Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
They've been teasing that something incredible was happening for the past 2 months, and I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be that incredible. My jaw basically hit the floor when I saw that though, I'm super excited for this movie.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I've been following the kickstarter for Stripped for a while now. The dudes behind it seem to be working super-hard, doing all the due diligence to interview big names, get all the right permissions, etc. I'm really hoping it turns out good, because they've been pouring pure effort into this thing for like two years.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Oh nice they have dates for the OSU exhibit now :D I'm definitely going to have to set up a day to visit it. That Stirpped documentary sounds like it could be a fun thing too.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail, Quincy and Office Hours will be a little delayed this week. Sorry.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arlo and Janis

Crankshaft

The Dinette Set

Hazel

Pluggers

Uh, what?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Uh, what?
"It looks like I wax my legs? Heck, I don't even shave them" the plugger said, his flesh-tone compression stockings exposed.

That turtle. He doesn't organize cards night, but he's the first one they invite because he's so chill about everything and always has a good story from the old days in the jazz clubs of New Orleans. That turtle has to have seen some outrageous stuff and here he is, in his autumn days, playing cards with a career criminal and a private detective like a regular dude. The bear is probably his weed hookup.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Pluggers

Uh, what?

Pluggers have mange.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

No one believes you're paying the cell phone bill dummy... and also... "Teacher! Morgan has her phone out in class!"

Retail

"Do you know what that means? With no one enforcing the rules around here we get to make out in the break room with impunity!"

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Just because he can't clean doesn't mean he can't go all battlebots on your rear end.

Dustin

Cut him some slack. It was probably legit polluted and full of OSHA violations.

On the Fastrack

Non-vowel dictionary must get beat up a lot.

Safe Havens

You're supposed to implant it under their skin so if they want it out they have to cut it out White Mountains style.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 27, 2014

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

I can sympathize a bit because warehouse/freight jobs suck if you're not reasonably burly. Try pulling pallets that weigh close to half a ton up and off a truck with all the might of a 130-pound body.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

I know it's racist and sexist, but seeing Ed put on blackface drag to mess with his son cracks me up every time!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

"Do you know what that means? With no one enforcing the rules around here we get to make out in the break room with impunity!"

I'm supposed to be sympathizing with the people treating the new hire like a lab rat aren't I.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Retail does in fact have a fanbase who cheers for the main characters as deplorable as that sounds.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SubNat posted:

No suggestions, but I haven't seen anyone with it, nor anyone talking about buying it.

More Moomin is Required

Little My is such a cheeky rear end in a top hat, but she's drawn so endearingly that she's growing on me.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Endless Mike posted:

Cocktails have at least three ingredients. If there's just two, it's a mixed drink. There's lots of beer cocktails that are quite tasty. This bar here in DC has a few on the menu that are very good.

I've been to the Queen Vic a few times, and it's a pretty fun place! Everyone should go there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Green Intern posted:

I've been to the Queen Vic a few times, and it's a pretty fun place! Everyone should go there.

If you want to annoy the bartenders, ask them to make you a Queen Vic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac wreaks terrible vengeance with a plastic sword.

The Creeps clogs EVERYTHING.

• Locked thread