Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So the show is called Fargo but it takes place in Minnesota? Weird.

e: I remembered they go to Minnesota in the movie

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:
Seeing that cast list has me instantly sold on the show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can't wait to hear Bilbo with a MN accent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Holy crap. Billy Bob Thorton, Bob Odenkirk, Keith Carradine, Dennis from Always Sunny, and Key and Peele? This show wasn't even on my radar but with that cast how could I pass it up?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
American Horror Story season 3, which had one of the most high-profile, star-studded casts of any television season ever, taught us that none of it matters if the writing isn't of similar calibre. The writing and plotting was so bad that not even that cast nor the great cinematography could save it. You can have the best cast and the most beautiful cinematography in the world but if the writing is poo poo so will be the show.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

zoux posted:

Is that supposed to be Jubilee?

Even when it aired in the 90s there were a lot of comics fans on Usenet that were commenting on, "Why is she white?" However, comics and animation art is hardly consistent, so someone exposed to select images of Jubilee might have honestly thought she was a white character.

According to the wiki legend, the actress was originally supposed to have been another character who never was even on the team in the comics, but the popularity of Jubilee in the cartoon caused them to reassign her to that character. It sounds like a weak excuse BUT the movie also created a number of new, non-comics characters, too.

Two of the six teen members are 'original': Not-Cyclops and Not-Colossus. Also, I seem to recall the main focus of the movie was on the Skin character, too. The possibility that Jubilee was originally going to be a new or non-GenX character seems like it could be true.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Joramun posted:

American Horror Story season 3, which had one of the most high-profile, star-studded casts of any television season ever, taught us that none of it matters if the writing isn't of similar calibre. The writing and plotting was so bad that not even that cast nor the great cinematography could save it. You can have the best cast and the most beautiful cinematography in the world but if the writing is poo poo so will be the show.

Is Fargo done by Ryan Murphy? Because yeah, no, gently caress it then.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why are you all talking about a TV show based on Billy Idol's first band?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

the popularity of Jubilee in the cartoon

Seriously gently caress the '90s.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JediTalentAgent posted:

According to the wiki legend, the actress was originally supposed to have been another character who never was even on the team in the comics, but the popularity of Jubilee in the cartoon caused them to reassign her to that character. It sounds like a weak excuse BUT the movie also created a number of new, non-comics characters, too.
The story I always remember was that she was originally Boom Boom (who if I remember my comics correctly basically is Jubilee right down to the glasses and yellow jacket) but then they just changed her name.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boom Boom is ditzy and Jubilee is sassy!

Also Boom Boom has a power set that's worth a poo poo.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

No, by one of the guys behind Bones, apparently. Which isn't saying much so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I was just recommending caution not to get too hyped for an upcoming show based solely (or mostly) on its casting, since even all the Oscar winners and nominees in the world can't save a show if the writing isn't up to par.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

STAC Goat posted:

It's from Noah Hawley, the guy that did The Unusuals and My Generation. That's not very encouraging either, but Joel and Ethan Coen are also Executive Producers, so I'm not writing this off just yet. If they didn't like his script they probably wouldn't have put their names on it.

---

Yo, Legit is back tonight on FXX. You saw me talking about it earlier, but what makes it great is beyond my ability to explain. Comedian Jim Jeffries plays himself -- the pilot of the show was an adaptation of this story, and co-creator Peter O'Fallon (Suicide Kings) brought it to life with the same kind of boozy, darkly funny sentiment that Jeffries tells it with. In fact, that's pretty much the show in a nutshell: jet-black comedy cut with a genuine heart.

Do yourself a favor: Spend $3 and check out the first episode. This isn't a very continuity heavy show, so watch that episode, and if you like it, set your DVR for season 2 on FXX, tonight at 10 PM ET.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

zoux posted:

What did Jubilee even do, make fireworks or something?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Wandle Cax posted:

What did Jubilee even do, make fireworks or something?

Pretty much. In the comics since then, they depowered her and then turned her into a vampire, presumably in the name of making her useful in a fight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just finished the Curse of the Mutants run yesterday actually.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sure I'm not the only one who is incredibly sick of all the super hero stuff being produced right now? If it's not The Tick, I just can't bring myself to care.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I thought she wasn't written as ditzy until Nextwave? And that was mid-to-late 2000s.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can also vouch for Legit. It wasn't one of my favourite shows last season but it mixes sentiment and vulgarity very well. I was glad it got a season 2 because it definitely seemed like the kind of show that would improve. Also, John Ratzenberger and Mindy Sterling play the parents of the two non-Jeffries leads, although only Sterling shows up on a regular basis.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Did anyone post that Looking got a Season 2? It doesn't even have a thread in this forum but it really is very good. If you remain unconvinced I'd strongly recommend Episode 5 - basically a gay Before Midnight (in San Francisco). One of the best written and best looking TV episodes I've seen in a little while.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GraPar posted:

Did anyone post that Looking got a Season 2? It doesn't even have a thread in this forum but it really is very good. If you remain unconvinced I'd strongly recommend Episode 5 - basically a gay Before Midnight (in San Francisco). One of the best written and best looking TV episodes I've seen in a little while.

YES! Legitimately happy about this, I've really enjoyed Looking so far and fully agree that Episode 5 was amazing. Sadly it's also a show that once I've finished watching it there's really nothing I have to say about it, which is why I'm guessing it's never mentioned much here.

Doesn't TVIV have quite a few gay posters?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

GraPar posted:

That's great. The ratings have also gotten better over the last couple episodes (although I realize that this doesn't matter too much for an HBO show).

PriorMarcus posted:

Judging by the Drag Race thread...probably.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

At least it wasn't Nightman.

Dear GOD. Nightman.

NightMan had and forever will have the best dubbed-over faux sax playing on television, lock it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

DominoDancing posted:

The ratings have also gotten better over the last couple episodes (although I realize that this doesn't matter too much for an HBO show).

If that were true we'd be watching Enlightened season 3 right now. :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes. Lesbians and bi dudes and gay dudes oh my! Strangely though I can't think of any bi female posters...

I'm only like 10% gay.

This comes up strangely often. Someone (I think Escape Artist) said he got random PMs about being bi, I remember it because I got one too, I can't remember what thread it pertained to though.

Bown posted:

I can also vouch for Legit. It wasn't one of my favourite shows last season but it mixes sentiment and vulgarity very well. I was glad it got a season 2 because it definitely seemed like the kind of show that would improve. Also, John Ratzenberger and Mindy Sterling play the parents of the two non-Jeffries leads, although only Sterling shows up on a regular basis.

Yeah Legit is legit funny. DJ Qualls is pretty good in it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

precision posted:

I'm only like 10% gay.

So when you bottom, it's just the tip?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that's been mentioned in a couple of other threads is that the US version of Being Human was canceled.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

precision posted:

Why are you all talking about a TV show based on Billy Idol's first band?

I had a similar confusion with heroes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_%28South_Korean_TV_series%29

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

hcreight posted:

Pretty much. In the comics since then, they depowered her and then turned her into a vampire, presumably in the name of making her useful in a fight.

Except that Jubes could simply put one of those sparks in a person's heart or brain. She was always dealt a poor hand by writers and editors, keeping her superfluous to meet the need for a daughter to Logan, but with smarts she'd have been one of the most dangerous.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Mu Zeta posted:

So the show is called Fargo but it takes place in Minnesota? Weird.

e: I remembered they go to Minnesota in the movie

The movie also mostly took place in Minnesota. Fargo is a non sequitur title.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh for gently caress's sake:

http://www.avclub.com/article/former-mob-wives-star-sues-grand-theft-auto-v-crea-201556

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I flipped by Law & Order SVU for the first time in a couple of years and this episode started off with a not-Daniel Tosh making rape jokes followed by a girl yelling at him that rape is not funny, then storming out after he made more rape jokes at her expense. Immediately upon leaving, she of course is raped by a couple of bros who parrot not-Tosh (whose name is actually "Josh" :rolleye:)'s jokes as they do it.

This goddamned show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 27, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I flipped by Law & Order SVU for the first time in a couple of years and this episode started off with a not-Daniel Tosh making rape jokes followed by a girl yelling at him that rape is not funny, then storming out after he made more rape jokes at her expense. Immediately upon leaving, she of course is raped by a couple of bros who parrot not-Tosh (whose name is actually "Josh" :rolleye:)'s jokes as they do it.

This goddamned show.

I could totally see him incorporating that into his "comedy" too.

Then again, if it gets DMCAed off youtube how will he set up the joke? It's not like he knows how to tell real jokes all by himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

This goddamned show.

Well now I have to watch this trainwreck.

In other news, tonight's Revolution ended with a giant mindfuck the likes of which hasn't been seen since "Not Penny's boat". Seriously, it was the most :psypop: thing in a really long time. The next set of episodes are either gonna be amazing or very silly, probably both. But like... drat.

Holy poo poo this not-Daniel Tosh guy is terrible. This is the first SVU episode I've watched in years.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Update: Not-Tosh himself is also a date rapist.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

precision posted:

Well now I have to watch this trainwreck.

In other news, tonight's Revolution ended with a giant mindfuck the likes of which hasn't been seen since "Not Penny's boat". Seriously, it was the most :psypop: thing in a really long time. The next set of episodes are either gonna be amazing or very silly, probably both. But like... drat.

Holy poo poo this not-Daniel Tosh guy is terrible. This is the first SVU episode I've watched in years.

I have zero interest in actually watching Revolution. What was the mindfuck?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I really enjoy Revolution season 2. I doubt it will get renewed but it's a hell of a show now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

I have zero interest in actually watching Revolution. What was the mindfuck?

Well... So the goony computer guy that created the nanobots, who some people are thinking of as "God" and who have AI and so forth, he rewrites their code to give God a virus essentially. Then suddenly Aaron wakes up in a 2014 that's noticeably more modern than our own, and in the previews he insists that he was in a world where the power had gone out and nobody believes him, including the other characters on the show. So who knows what the gently caress is happening, it's crazy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Update: Not-Tosh himself is also a date rapist.

Everyone's a little bit rapist.

Edit: (in the SVU-verse, anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The jump in quality in season two of Revolution may be the biggest jump in quality I've ever seen between seasons on a show. It's pretty jarring actually.

• Locked thread