Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Also I was looking up some stuff to see if GSC were on GBC carts and I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Punk

It is an anime that takes place in The Great Kanto Desert, which is in post apocalyptic Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Why the gently caress is the barrier to Democracy so high. It seems like the person running the channel put it there just because he thinks Anarchy is more fun or something.

This is explained if you scroll down on the twitch page. Basically by requiring a higher barrier to enter democracy a larger portion of the chat needs to be all for it. This reduces the amount of people trolling during democracy, because why would you vote for democracy then start9 spam? Ok I'm sure plenty of people have done exactly that but the implementation as is has resulted in democracy having a chance to do something rather than getting spammed to oblivion in just a minute.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Grinning Goblin posted:

Also I was looking up some stuff to see if GSC were on GBC carts and I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Punk

It is an anime that takes place in The Great Kanto Desert, which is in post apocalyptic Japan.

That would be because Kanto is the name of a real region of Japan :eng101:

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Ablative posted:

That would be because Kanto is the name of a real region of Japan :eng101:

I hope this will explain something.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ramengank posted:

This is explained if you scroll down on the twitch page.

I read it, but it's headache-inducing. "The equal 75%". What. :psyduck:

As far as I can tell, people can spam nonsense in any mode. The only thing stopping them is the speed of chat moving so fast that someone may randomly cancel them out.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I read it, but it's headache-inducing. "The equal 75%". What. :psyduck:

As far as I can tell, people can spam nonsense in any mode. The only thing stopping them is the speed of chat moving so fast that someone may randomly cancel them out.
Yes people can spam nonsense, but with the Democracy bar set higher then less people will be spamming nonsense and therefore less disruption will occur during Democracy, especially since it runs on a voting system for each input, and troll commands simply won't execute if they don't get the most votes.

Houle posted:

I just realized the shape of the original pokedex was a really weird folding binder. Now only did it fold left to right between the whole pokedex list and the menus on the right but each pokemon entry folded downward. So you would have 151 downward overlapping folds closed in left to right....all this despite the entire thing being shown as an electronic device in all media.

The way you describe it here is making me think it's designed like an unfolding rolodex.

Ramengank fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 27, 2014

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

argondamn posted:

I've read this like three times and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sorry,I wasn't quite sure how to describe it. When you open up the Pokedex menu it shows the fold along vertically. Such as the whole list of pokemon are on the left while the options (cry, data, etc) are on the right. When you select a pokemon it shows the binder coils/folds (similar to the designs in the manual that came with the game) going horizontal whereas the picture of the pokemomn and basic information is on the top while the description is on the bottom.

So taking that into account that it is a book/diary looking thing in Gen1 games (hitech device everywhere else) it is a weird book that folds left to right duotang style that has folds upon folds for each pokemon (unless each pokemon was a card then I suppose it could be a very simplified accordion style binder-book thing

Best sort of illustration I could think of.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Our Nidoking is becoming super swole with all of this training against Poison-types. If they manage to teach him Earthquake, he'll be on the same level as AA-J and Bird Jesus by the time we get to the Elite 4.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

They weren't running out of space so much as they ran out of space on that particular ROM they were building it for, and increasing the ROM size increases costs, since generally sizes are powers of 2.

And to add to this, even if they were bumping up against the hard limit of what a Game Boy can address from a cart (I don't know what that is off the top of my head), cartridge based games had ways around that and they're almost always used in the later days of those systems. The big factor here was manufacturing cost.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Grinning Goblin posted:

I was under the impression that GB carts were 1 MB in size and GBC carts had 4mb.

Would they have been able to use a GBC cartridge for Gen II Gold/Silver and still have it work on an original Gameboy though? Anyway, sounds like it was 1MB vs. 2MB and that worked via whatever magic was necessary.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What on earth are you talking about? The Pokedex is clearly digital and referred to as such even in the Gen 1 games.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Houle posted:

Sorry,I wasn't quite sure how to describe it. When you open up the Pokedex menu it shows the fold along vertically. Such as the whole list of pokemon are on the left while the options (cry, data, etc) are on the right. When you select a pokemon it shows the binder coils/folds (similar to the designs in the manual that came with the game) going horizontal whereas the picture of the pokemomn and basic information is on the top while the description is on the bottom.

So taking that into account that it is a book/diary looking thing in Gen1 games (hitech device everywhere else) it is a weird book that folds left to right duotang style that has folds upon folds for each pokemon (unless each pokemon was a card then I suppose it could be a very simplified accordion style binder-book thing

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Pok%C3%A9dex_RBY.png
You seem to think the squares are like the spiral binds of a notebook rather than a graphical conceit. Can I ask where this idea comes from?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

What on earth are you talking about? The Pokedex is clearly digital and referred to as such even in the Gen 1 games.

The designs of the pokedex itself matches the design on the instruction manual. Including the sprite of the pokedex being a book. Is it digital in the original ver 1 green? It could have been something that started out as a diary but then later turned into a digital creation. Even if it's just a patterned display the edges look like a book seam.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Zamujasa posted:

Completely wrong (the graphics absolutely are, and back pictures are stored half-size to save more space). They just weren't compressed well.

If you look for RBY hacking guides a lot of the data, such as the game's text, trainer data, or encounter tables, can be easily modified in-place without compressing anything, so I wonder how much is actually compressed. Hell, you can even see all the map tiles and sprites if you open up RBY in TileMolester or similar.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Did I miss omanyte evolving yet?

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

something posted:

They cancelled it. :cripes:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

something posted:

Well, there was an attempt....

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Houle posted:

It's an interesting idea, but, like I said before, Oak actually uses that exact word, "hi-tech", when he's giving it to you in Red/Blue.

Also he tells you it automatically fills itself in when you encounter new pokemon.

Odds are pretty high he's describing an electronic device rather than calling a magical paper rolodex "hi-tech".

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Remora posted:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Pok%C3%A9dex_RBY.png
You seem to think the squares are like the spiral binds of a notebook rather than a graphical conceit. Can I ask where this idea comes from?

Could be mis-remembering a faux leather strap book. That or I've been watching a steam off and on of 40k people grinding. Since playing the game the thought never occurred to me before, but now I can't unsee it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SWMadness posted:

They cancelled it. :cripes:

Why?

I mean at least with Drowzee there was some rational behind cancelling it's evolution.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Houle posted:

The designs of the pokedex itself matches the design on the instruction manual. Including the sprite of the pokedex being a book. Is it digital in the original ver 1 green? It could have been something that started out as a diary but then later turned into a digital creation. Even if it's just a patterned display the edges look like a book seam.

There is that whole "automatically records upon capture" thing that was always present in US releases, maybe not so in the original Red/Green? It might explain some of the batshit insane entries that appear there if it was just your main character making stuff up and manually writing it down.
But in reality it was probably just a graphical design choice for the always purely digital Pokedex pages.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Why?

I mean at least with Drowzee there was some rational behind cancelling it's evolution.

Blind devotion to the cult of the Helix? I dunno.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Iny posted:

It's an interesting idea, but, like I said before, Oak actually uses that exact word, "hi-tech", when he's giving it to you in Red/Blue.

Also he tells you it automatically fills itself in when you encounter new pokemon.

Odds are pretty high he's describing an electronic device rather than calling a magical paper rolodex "hi-tech".

I'm probably entirely wrong in this, I'm not really trying to argue this brand new discovery or whatever. It was more just me looking at the binder and seeing the book-shaped design in the background rather than a pokedex-shape. What an NPC says too to explain game mechanics (not having to put in the information yourself) is ehhh. Of course I am completely wrong and it's a non-issue. Just I don't really know how great the translations were

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Houle posted:

Could be mis-remembering a faux leather strap book. That or I've been watching a steam off and on of 40k people grinding. Since playing the game the thought never occurred to me before, but now I can't unsee it.

That's the manual cover, which is called the Trainer's Guide, in which there is no actual depiction of a Pokedex.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Man, Gary really still is the best Rival the series has ever had, isn't he? Like he's just such a prick about the whole thing, and you spend the entire game looking forward to kicking his rear end, and he always stays just one step ahead of you the entire time somehow.

X/Y's Rival on the other hand? Clem or whatever the gently caress his name was? I realized at the end of this game that you were HIS Gary. Like you were the better-than always-one-step-ahead kid with all the Pokemon and he was always showing up like Hey What's up RIVAL? and I'd be like 'Who the gently caress ARE you?'

I liked how Black and White did it best--you had one smug nerd rival who thought himself better than you and a friendlier rival in Bianca who you were always one step ahead of. I wish they'd go as far as to have an outright douchebag rival again, but Black and White worked perfectly fine. In my dream Pokemon game, you'd have two rivals like that, and the smug one beats you to being Pokemon champion like Gary did...but then you beat him, and the friendly rival who's always been behind you strolls up, and has to fight YOU.

I find with X and Y, players with Calem as a rival tended to hate the Friend Squad way more than players with Serena. I gather that Calem is a total chump. They really, really dropped the ball with those guys, though. Shauna and Trevor were irksome and while I liked the idea of a kid who wants to make a Pokemon dance team, Tierno's nicknames for everyone made him the most obnoxious dude.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
This is actually a fairly decent place to grind for like 3/4 of the folks that need grinding up.

It'd be a better place if Nidoking had a Ground move instead of, you know, Focus Energy. But who's counting?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ramengank posted:

This is explained if you scroll down on the twitch page. Basically by requiring a higher barrier to enter democracy a larger portion of the chat needs to be all for it. This reduces the amount of people trolling during democracy, because why would you vote for democracy then start9 spam? Ok I'm sure plenty of people have done exactly that but the implementation as is has resulted in democracy having a chance to do something rather than getting spammed to oblivion in just a minute.

Honestly, it was likely more to do something to shut up the insufferable "Anarchy is the only way to play! :qq:" people than anything else.

It's pretty clear that he never took into account the group of people using scripts to spam "anarchy" every 30 seconds or so, though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Houle posted:

I'm probably entirely wrong in this, I'm not really trying to argue this brand new discovery or whatever. It was more just me looking at the binder and seeing the book-shaped design in the background rather than a pokedex-shape. What an NPC says too to explain game mechanics (not having to put in the information yourself) is ehhh. Of course I am completely wrong and it's a non-issue. Just I don't really know how great the translations were

Just because it's an electronic device doesn't mean its UI can't be styled after non-electronic things like a binder or somesuch.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

For fucks sake this is what the pokedex looks like

Its a digital pocket encyclopedia. I don't know how you could interpret it as anything else

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Never thought I'd see a skeuomorphism discussion in a Pokémon thread.

Rurea posted:

Its a digital pocket encyclopedia. I don't know how you could interpret it as anything else

I wonder if you could get it to play RBY.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

nerdbot posted:

I liked how Black and White did it best--you had one smug nerd rival who thought himself better than you and a friendlier rival in Bianca who you were always one step ahead of. I wish they'd go as far as to have an outright douchebag rival again, but Black and White worked perfectly fine. In my dream Pokemon game, you'd have two rivals like that, and the smug one beats you to being Pokemon champion like Gary did...but then you beat him, and the friendly rival who's always been behind you strolls up, and has to fight YOU.

I find with X and Y, players with Calem as a rival tended to hate the Friend Squad way more than players with Serena. I gather that Calem is a total chump. They really, really dropped the ball with those guys, though. Shauna and Trevor were irksome and while I liked the idea of a kid who wants to make a Pokemon dance team, Tierno's nicknames for everyone made him the most obnoxious dude.

Serena's just robotic and bland. Despite having the exact same lines, Calem just comes off as a smug prick. He's always a step behind, but still acts like he's the Best Around. Its like Blue, but without anything that shows Blue to be a success and with way less charisma.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

nerdbot posted:

In my dream Pokemon game, you'd have two rivals like that, and the smug one beats you to being Pokemon champion like Gary did...but then you beat him, and the friendly rival who's always been behind you strolls up, and has to fight YOU.

This would be the best twist since Gen2 Kanto.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Rurea posted:

I know that's the pokedex in just about every form of media for that generation. Including the tiger electronic one I had. I was merely looking at how the pokedex was displayed in the game that predates the anime "dexter" (which I presumed that was based off) and thought about what it looked in my head. Though I completely concede to it being simply a pattern that I misinterpreted as a duo-tang ringed sectioned off folding paper abomination.

I am curious to see what other art came out of the game before the tv show. GRB always felt a little magical in how everything looked sorta off despite being the official art assets.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Since X/Y's story came up, the whole ending with Team Flare was a huge letdown. It sort of builds up over the course of the game and there's no real resolution, just "Let's fight!" and then the weapon blows itself up.

gently caress, they even let you push the big red button. It'd be great to see a game with an actual dark, twist storyline ending for once.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
This will never happen, but I wish they would give you a rival who actually has a kickass team at unfair levels—design it so that you're supposed to lose rival battles, and there's no actual penalty when she beats you. All of the smug-rear end rivals who think they're better than you come off as laughable when you beat them every time. I want to see the story reflected in my gameplay, dammit, and I want beating the rival at the end of the game to feel like a real victory.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Walliard posted:

Nah, the best twist would be if the friendly rival somehow beat both of you to the E4, then the smug one who had, up until that point been ahead, comes in last.

Of course they'd have to make it so at least the smug rival, ideally both, had reasonably competent teams.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Calem is just like, I remember at one point his name isn't on any of those podiums at the gyms... So like, he's this loving badgeless chump who just seems to think the two of you are on this magical quest of like, poke-discovery and I just wanted to stop him and be like.

Look. Kid. You've got moxy. You've got spirit. You're just...not...very good...at this whole Pokemon Trainer thing...? You clearly have this thing going on with me and you, and I think that's sweet. Look at me? My mom races rhydons, or something? I got this poo poo in my blood. I dunno. Look at you? You're just this chump. Right here, Pokedex, Chump, page 298. Picture of you. Please. Now do you mind? I'm trying to do a thing here.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Zoran posted:

I wonder if you could get it to play RBY.
Each Pokedex comes equipped with a Game Boy emulator, and that's what the D-Pad and some of the buttons on the right are used for.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Walliard posted:

Reminds me of rumours of Black and White when they were first released in Japan, that Bianca would be the Champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Iny posted:

The pokemon world is able to put physical objects and living creatures into computers and pull them out later. In the case of porygon, they have taken computer data and turned it into a living physical creature. If the pokedex is hi-tech, then I'm more than willing to believe it's bigger on the inside than the outside or whatever else justifies it. I wouldn't dwell on pokemon world technology.

• Locked thread