Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

InfiniteZero posted:

Are current builds of XBMC on Raspberry Pi (Raspbmc or Openelec I guess) solid?

I've used XBMC for a few years now with a Revo and its been excellent. I'm thinking about setting up a secondary install on a Raspberry Pi, but I'm skeptical that it will actually work the way I'm used to. I don't need fancy skins or anything, I just want to watch my content (mostly 720p) from another room in the house and maybe also check out movie trailers from Apple or whatever.

If it's liable to stutter or be a pain in the rear end to keep running I'll spend more and grab a NUC but if it will work on a Pi, I might as well just do that considering it's a secondary box.

Last I tried it, OpenELEC was fantastic. As I recall, it was one of the 3.0 betas, so it's been quite a while, but once you did a minor overclock, the thing ran like a champ. For bonus points, move the XBMC install over to USB storage instead of SD, and it runs significantly better on skins that use a lot of art. Had zero problems with mine on 720p content. In fact, the only reason I'm not using it anymore is that I don't have a spot in my house where I can run ethernet, and don't have a wifi adapter for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Yep I still use a few of them with OpenElec with a small overclock and running off USB and they have no problems even with 1080p and fairly high bitrates.

It can be a bit of work to do the initial setup but I haven't had to touch any of mine since setting them up.

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I did that too but it just sat there 'working' for a few minutes before.. either crashing or just not logging in and returning to otherwise normal operation.
As an OpenElec user, I gave up on the YouTube plugin and just use a Chromecast for YouTube (and Netflix). The YouTube mobile interface and the ability to quickly queue items make it a million times better than the plugin anyways.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

Are current builds of XBMC on Raspberry Pi (Raspbmc or Openelec I guess) solid?

I've used XBMC for a few years now with a Revo and its been excellent. I'm thinking about setting up a secondary install on a Raspberry Pi, but I'm skeptical that it will actually work the way I'm used to. I don't need fancy skins or anything, I just want to watch my content (mostly 720p) from another room in the house and maybe also check out movie trailers from Apple or whatever.

If it's liable to stutter or be a pain in the rear end to keep running I'll spend more and grab a NUC but if it will work on a Pi, I might as well just do that considering it's a secondary box.

I bought a Raspberry Pi for OpenELEC and it's sitting in a desk because I was disappointed. The menus are sluggish and you can't navigate them smoothly (using Confluence) and it's especially slow if you have a large library. It also takes a while for artwork to display and for videos to begin playing. It's probably fine if you only download the occasional thing for playback via USB and don't use it that often, but if you have a lot of stuff, share it over a network, and use it multiple times per day, it's worth spending the money on a real computer.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I'm running Raspbmc because OpenELEC was a bit flaky in combination with my Onkyo for whatever reason (this was about 6 months ago I guess). Happy with it ever since. There's some occasional stuttering in high-bitrate 1080p content but other than that it's absolutely fine.

It's certainly slow to browse sometimes, but I store the library in MySQL and that helps.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"
I have a Hp Micro server N54l with WHS2011 running my XBMC MySQL server and that works. Ideally I want a XBMC to run on the server as well so it can check for library updates and get sickbeard notifications because its always going to be on, but the server doesn't have a sound or video card.
I know this is a stretch but is there any way to run XBMC in this kind of environment if all you want to use it for is library updates?

I know other computers can handle updates. But my Revo 3610 becomes pretty unresponsive when it checks for updates and I would like to turn it off when not using it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Mujaji posted:

I have a Hp Micro server N54l with WHS2011 running my XBMC MySQL server and that works. Ideally I want a XBMC to run on the server as well so it can check for library updates and get sickbeard notifications because its always going to be on, but the server doesn't have a sound or video card.
I know this is a stretch but is there any way to run XBMC in this kind of environment if all you want to use it for is library updates?

I know other computers can handle updates. But my Revo 3610 becomes pretty unresponsive when it checks for updates and I would like to turn it off when not using it.

I do this. My server runs an instance of XBMC so all my other computers have the libraries updated when I turn them on. I connect to it remotely if I need to do anything.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I have an older model Zotac running XBMC that hasn't failed me - I've been using it for a couple years now and love it.

My buddy wants to have a similar HTPC experience but I'm out of the loop with what small form factor units are considered the best. What he should be looking at in the ~$200 range?

I have a circa 2009 Zotac ION box that's still going strong as my main sabnzbd/XBMC box. The XBMC menus could stand to be a little faster, but it's kind of amazing how much value/life I've gotten out of this thing.

Not to get too offtopic, but why is there no modern equivalent of these ION motherboards (mini-ITX boards that can do 1080p hardware decoding and have external PSUs)? I remember that NVIDIA made an ION2 but did they just give up on that market after that? I've seen some AMD APU stuff, is that the spiritual successor?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Look into the Intel NUC, might be what you're looking for.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

I remember that NVIDIA made an ION2 but did they just give up on that market after that? I've seen some AMD APU stuff, is that the spiritual successor?
Atom was just too weak. AMD E-350 was better than ION.
Now there's a pretty good amount of interest in low-power ready-made PCs good enough to be your everyday PC in HTPC form factors. It's just that they'd rather make a little more $ selling you a full package than just the board and embedded CPU/graphics. The products look so good, though, one can hardly complain.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Hogburto posted:

Atom was just too weak. AMD E-350 was better than ION.
Now there's a pretty good amount of interest in low-power ready-made PCs good enough to be your everyday PC in HTPC form factors. It's just that they'd rather make a little more $ selling you a full package than just the board and embedded CPU/graphics. The products look so good, though, one can hardly complain.

I have a Acer with a duel core atom. It works great. Had it for 4+ years.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Parker Lewis posted:

I have a circa 2009 Zotac ION box that's still going strong as my main sabnzbd/XBMC box. The XBMC menus could stand to be a little faster, but it's kind of amazing how much value/life I've gotten out of this thing.

Not to get too offtopic, but why is there no modern equivalent of these ION motherboards (mini-ITX boards that can do 1080p hardware decoding and have external PSUs)? I remember that NVIDIA made an ION2 but did they just give up on that market after that? I've seen some AMD APU stuff, is that the spiritual successor?

AMD has their APU chips, like the E350 that have the GPU built in to the CPU and work great for most lower power systems.

Intel has a decent on-CPU video solution now too.

Bascially, there is not a lot of need for the Nvidia ION chips anymore because the on CPU stuff is good enough.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

iluvpr0n posted:

I've also been noticing problems with Radbox. Since they sort of abandoned it (last post on their blog was December 2012), I'm not very hopeful about it working well again.

Ah, so it's not just me then. That's a shame, I found it the easiest way to watch Youtube on xbmc because the Youtube add-on seems pretty flaky with its login issues.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Since I have seen many people here saying XBMC on the ATV2 got much better with updates, I decided to dust off mine and give it a spin again over the last few days, and what a total piece of poo poo this little thing is! Even when using lightweight skins it nearly chokes to death just by booting up, and if you manage to fight your way through the choppy interface and start playback of a video it doesn't do a very good job with that either, sporadic audio glitching and sync problems being something to expect. As for stability, the situation hasn't got any better than back when it was initially released; I've had about 5-6 crashes a night on average without doing anything out of the ordinary. Add-on updates slow the device down to a near-total halt, or just make it crash completely.

The only good thing I can say about the ATV2 is that it's got pretty good wifi reception, in every other area it's complete garbage. I don't understand how any of you managed to use this thing over an extended period of time, and still bitterly regret ever wasting money on it. Better luck next time, I hope...

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Then sell it?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Yeah I guess I should try that if there are still people out there willing to pay for them.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Yeah there are still completed listings of over $200 on ebay. They seem to sell for more when advertised as jailbroken.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I sold mine for 220 over a year ago and got a zotac. Can't believe they still sell for so much.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

PS3 Media Server question, how can I make my PS3 play my entire music folder instead of just all the songs in one sub-folder? Do I need to create a playlist file of some sort and put it in the main folder?

Music Folder >
-- Band 1
-- Band 2
-- Band 3

etc.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Totally TWISTED posted:

PS3 Media Server question, how can I make my PS3 play my entire music folder instead of just all the songs in one sub-folder? Do I need to create a playlist file of some sort and put it in the main folder?

Music Folder >
-- Band 1
-- Band 2
-- Band 3

etc.

You'll probably want to ask the PS3 General Discussion thread that, we're strictly XBMC here. :)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

EC posted:

You'll probably want to ask the PS3 General Discussion thread that, we're strictly XBMC here. :)

Will do, thanks!

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

If I want to enable video buffering for an SMB share do I need to be running the latest Nightly build?

That's what it seems to say here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Slash fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 24, 2014

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

StorrowS posted:

If I want to enable video buffering for an SMB share do I need to be running the latest Nightly build?

That's what it seems to say here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Yes, proper buffering settings for all sources is a Gotham feature. The nightlies are pretty stable at this point, but your favorite skin may or may not be ready yet, so I'd suggest to check the status on that + backup your userdata before upgrading.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Keito posted:

Yes, proper buffering settings for all sources is a Gotham feature. The nightlies are pretty stable at this point, but your favorite skin may or may not be ready yet, so I'd suggest to check the status on that + backup your userdata before upgrading.

Thanks I'll give the nightlies a go this evening.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
This is kind of an XBMC / Ubuntu question but here goes;
Is it possible to run the XBMC shell (probably the wrong term) and remote desktop into the backend?

My setup is as follows; I have a franken pc running on Ubuntu which I've hooked up to the front room tv which I can control from my phone using the XBMC remote app, and I use Sambashare to access the relevant content folders on my network and add to them.

If I run it using the XBMC shell it runs fine, but its a hassle if I add new content using my main desktop PC as Ubuntu has a shitfit about permissions when moving files from Windows. Now I can fix this myself but I need to go to the computer and plug in a mouse & keyboard and log into Ubuntu 2D which defeats the point of what I'm trying to achieve.

If I run Ubuntu 2D and then load XBMC inside it I can remote in fine using Teamviewer and doing whatever I want, but then XBMC runs ever to slightly sluggish which ruins movies. So essentially what I'm asking is can I run XBMC either on its own and access my files behind the scenes, or is there a way to run it inside Ubuntu at full speed?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

My XBMC PC's files are network shares on a FreeBSD server which I copy to from a Windows PC, so I think you've just incorrectly configured poo poo somewhere. Probably on the sharing side of Windows.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Super Slash posted:

This is kind of an XBMC / Ubuntu question but here goes;
Is it possible to run the XBMC shell (probably the wrong term) and remote desktop into the backend?

My setup is as follows; I have a franken pc running on Ubuntu which I've hooked up to the front room tv which I can control from my phone using the XBMC remote app, and I use Sambashare to access the relevant content folders on my network and add to them.

If I run it using the XBMC shell it runs fine, but its a hassle if I add new content using my main desktop PC as Ubuntu has a shitfit about permissions when moving files from Windows. Now I can fix this myself but I need to go to the computer and plug in a mouse & keyboard and log into Ubuntu 2D which defeats the point of what I'm trying to achieve.

If I run Ubuntu 2D and then load XBMC inside it I can remote in fine using Teamviewer and doing whatever I want, but then XBMC runs ever to slightly sluggish which ruins movies. So essentially what I'm asking is can I run XBMC either on its own and access my files behind the scenes, or is there a way to run it inside Ubuntu at full speed?

How are you moving the files? If it's through a samba share, just set up a file mask with the appropriate permissions and it'll automatically set those when the file is created.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

G-Prime posted:

How are you moving the files? If it's through a samba share, just set up a file mask with the appropriate permissions and it'll automatically set those when the file is created.

Thanks I just might have cracked it, I didn't know about file masks before so I've now configured it to set a permission for everything that goes in the folders I use.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Crossposting from the Usenet thread since I'm not sure where would be better:

Has anyone else had issues with Couchpotato creating duplicate entries in their XBMC database? I just enabled it to send notifications to update the XBMC library when a movie finishes, but it's also scanning through my TV library and creating duplicate entries for every single episode of TV I've got in there. I don't have it set to do a full library update and I don't know why it's triggering anything to do with TV shows, I thought it was just supposed to add the movie to the database and nothing else. I'm running the latest version of CP and the stable build of XBMC 12.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Are you storing all of your TV and movies in the same folder or something? That almost sounds like you've got CP set to manage your library and its all in the same place or something weird. The XBMC update stuff is just HTTP calls that tell XBMC to update its library, it shouldn't be inserting duplicates or doing anything weird.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, I am now having a nightmare with XBMC and file sharing. A few days ago I was able to watch my videos fine. Then nothing could be shared anymore. Everything thought it the movie file was missing, and asked me to delete it.

At this point I've taken the server to scratch. I've deleted the SQL databases entirely, recreated some of the library, and I'm having the problems playing the videos on my Mac and OpenELEC Zotac still. The library updates properly (which is the SQL server on the same machine as the file server), and I can see the videos vanish and reappear on the Mac client. I can even watch the files without a problem from the Finder using VLC to play these video files. But it seems that no matter how I add the files in XBMC, they don't show up in the clients.

I've restarted the router, the server computer, the client computers, rebuilt the SQL, the library, the userdata folders, the advancedsettings.xml, and trashed the XMBC folders entirely in the user folders. I've also changed my sharing settings to no longer ask for a username or password. The server can play the videos fine from XBMC and the Mac can play the files fine from another application once I mount the SMB share. I'm not sure what XBMC's problem is anymore.

Here's a pastebin from the Mac on trying to play a movie file.
http://pastebin.com/vzzCVaX3

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Gunslinger posted:

Are you storing all of your TV and movies in the same folder or something? That almost sounds like you've got CP set to manage your library and its all in the same place or something weird. The XBMC update stuff is just HTTP calls that tell XBMC to update its library, it shouldn't be inserting duplicates or doing anything weird.

Nope. Completely different NFS directories. Sickbeard updates the database completely fine, but every time CouchPotato sends notice that a movie's been downloaded, it starts scanning the library and doubling every TV show I have. I've got no drat clue what's causing this one. The way I've got it set up is:

CP snatches movie and delivers to SABNZBD
SAB finishes, moves unpacked files to a 'movies' subfolder in the completed downloads folder
CP scans this folder and moves/renames completed movies to my Movies directory and updates XBMC.

CP seems to add the movie fine but then starts some crazy scanning process and all of my TV shows start getting duplicated. This might happen with movies too but I've never let it finish with my TV shows so I have no idea if that happens after.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 27, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have no idea what would cause that but I've seen CP do weird things when you use its library manager and renaming functionality. Try using SABs built in renaming instead, disable all of the CP renaming/library nonsense but keep the XBMC notification on. That at least will let you rule some stuff out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The Gunslinger posted:

I have no idea what would cause that but I've seen CP do weird things when you use its library manager and renaming functionality. Try using SABs built in renaming instead, disable all of the CP renaming/library nonsense but keep the XBMC notification on. That at least will let you rule some stuff out.

Weird, I never used to have a problem with it.. it's set up to auto-update itself now so I don't know if something broke with an update or what. I've turned off notifications to XBMC until I can figure something else out; with SABNZBD renaming, will it rename the movie & folder to the following:

Movie Name (year)
Movie Name (year) (resolution source).extension

So the file would be named, for example: Casablanca (1942) (720p bluray).mkv ?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

Weird, I never used to have a problem with it.. it's set up to auto-update itself now so I don't know if something broke with an update or what. I've turned off notifications to XBMC until I can figure something else out; with SABNZBD renaming, will it rename the movie & folder to the following:

Movie Name (year)
Movie Name (year) (resolution source).extension

So the file would be named, for example: Casablanca (1942) (720p bluray).mkv ?

It will rename it to whatever you want (you feed it the syntax) and it has a preview option so you can see the output.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D3JkUzUi-k

kri kri fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 1, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
When 13.0 hits do y'all want a new thread or just an updated OP?

If we keep this thread, how would I get the title changed? Message a mod?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd say just change the title and update the OP.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Yeah the thread's great as is, no real need to rebuild it all over a new version coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Yeah the thread's great as is, no real need to rebuild it all over a new version coming out.

Really, I think a new OP would be warranted for a major revision (14.0, whichever one has the emulation built in).