Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's a shame it takes such a long time to upload pictures to the Outerworld thing. And annoying how difficult it is to grab them. I've had lots of fun taking goofy pictures but it would be so much better if it was faster and easier to get at them. Anyway, I persevered, so here's some snaps.

Sheep Herding

Search and Rescue

A Cute Puppy

This Dude

A Bird

The Protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Good to see Jack Skellington still getting work.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Does anyone have any timing tips or tricks for Whirlwind Kick? I wasn't expecting it to be as hard to get the perfect timing down for it as it has been since I hit smaller windows in fighting games all the time. I guess it's a bit different though with the hits not having the same feel as in a fighting game.

Also, as much as I like the Martial Monk outfit itself, I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed by the Whirlwind Kick animation. I actually like Punt's animation more, but oh well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McDragon posted:

The Protagonist

You made Lightning have that color scheme to match a hat too, didn't you?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You made Lightning have that color scheme to match a hat too, didn't you?

I didn't, actually. I just like orange, and then I realised how well it went with the pumpkin head, and then Lightning became the Pumpkin King for the rest of the game. It got very silly.

Which hat were you thinking of? Might have to try it out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McDragon posted:

I didn't, actually. I just like orange, and then I realised how well it went with the pumpkin head, and then Lightning became the Pumpkin King for the rest of the game. It got very silly.

Which hat were you thinking of? Might have to try it out.

I can't remember the one but it's one of the tricorner hats that has an orange-and-black color scheme. It also happened to be perfect for carrying over to pumpkinhead when I got it though.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Sailor's Tricorne.

I'm rocking a painter's beret with an echidna armguard, with the Stone and Sand garb modified to make the cape red. It looks pretty great.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Sailor's Tricorne fittingly goes super nicely with the Splendid Admiral garb, too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Where do I get the pumpkin head? I need it.

Edit: I got to the Dead Dunes and joined a gang! But are there any other shops anywhere here? A forge? A sorcery shop? Is Ruffian the only place with any shops besides the station?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's one of the sidequests you get from the board, the Dead Dunes one. One about collecting lizard tails as far as I remember.

I think the shops in Ruffian only open up after you finish the Main Quest there.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The shops in Ruffian open up when you find a gate and you need to go do poo poo to open it. It'll be really obvious when it happens.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Systematic System posted:

The shops in Ruffian open up when you find a gate and you need to go do poo poo to open it. It'll be really obvious when it happens.

Which is kind of arbitrary. You'd think it'd be once you pass the trial to get into the gang.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Which is kind of arbitrary. You'd think it'd be once you pass the trial to get into the gang.

The reason the town isn't populated isn't because it was hard to get there. (The sandstorm was pretty recent.) It is that there is no reason to be there. Opening up the ruins brings a bunch of treasure hunters a'callin'.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Finally had a chance to beat the game. Final boss was fairly challenging, but its too bad the best song is saved for his easiest/shortest last form. You'd think a thirteen minute long song would be used for the entire fight. The ending cinematics were pretty, but fairly silly, as expected. I must say I appreciated that Lumina wasn't actually Serah in the end. The way it played out was cute. Very silly, but cute.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I think the reason I like this game so much is because it's pretty much just an open sandbox to experiment with different combinations of abilities, accessories, garbs, and weapons. I beat the last Behemoth lookin' dude in the Wildlands and getting to him was a piece of cake and only took me like 20 minutes. With the right set up, I was beating each regular one in like, 5 seconds with Overclock and the best part about Overclock that I didn't figure out early on in the game is that most of the big tough dudes drop 2 EP, so it's almost begging you to use it.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Is there a thorough list of locations for the rare forge? I've found one list but it's just a handful of days covered in specific.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Syrant posted:

Is there a thorough list of locations for the rare forge? I've found one list but it's just a handful of days covered in specific.

Well, there's this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUfAbw3bgpM

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Can every species go extinct or are some immune? Desdemona don't have a distribution when I examine them, which is troubling.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Can every species go extinct or are some immune? Desdemona don't have a distribution when I examine them, which is troubling.

Yeah, if it doesn't have a distribution listing, it can't go extinct. Also, the Menonektons or whatever they're called (the bug guys) have a distribution listing, but it would be impossible to kill them all off, since it requires something like 65,500+ kills.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cake Attack posted:

Things you cant extinct:

anubis / set

flanitor
gertrude
desdemona
desmond

cathedral sentry
personal guard

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Beat Noel Kreiss+ earlier. I was not expecting him to wear something completely different and badass. That was cool. Looking forward to the other plus battles, if this is how things will go. The spear he dropped is pretty cool and reminds me of one of Noel's final swords in XIII-2.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9

Oh, sorry, I should clarify. I meant with times of appearance. I've seen a small list with some times on it but I wasn't sure if they're static or it is all just completely random.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm hoping there's a proper Colosseum DLC along the line. That was one of the biggest disappointments in XIII-2, the fact that the cool arena and guardian was a gigantic cocktease for some DLC. I still bought it, but I was shaking my fist as I did so :argh:

Saint Freak posted:

Making the main character an emotionless straight-man in a world filled with All Of The Animes was the best decision ever.

'I am pretty sure sheep don't lay eggs' :what:
'Oh no, you saw through my disguise' :geno:

:smugjones: "Meowmeowchocochow."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

It's really disappointing how poor the reviews and sales for this game have been. I think it's really a step in the right direction for their game design, but knowing SE's over-reactionary responses to critical reception, they'll never do something like this again.

Syrant posted:

Oh, sorry, I should clarify. I meant with times of appearance. I've seen a small list with some times on it but I wasn't sure if they're static or it is all just completely random.

Ah, well as far as I know it's completely random.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Man, those just get better and better if you talk to all of them (more than once).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The rare shop is entirely random and can move once an hour, he might move out of the zone you're in and he might even be in the Warren during the day. If you want to try and force it, go to Poltae, save, sleep at the inn and sleep in hour increments until he shows up just outside that inn, and if you think you've wasted too much time, reload.
Locations here.

Schwartzcough posted:

It's really disappointing how poor the reviews and sales for this game have been. I think it's really a step in the right direction for their game design, but knowing SE's over-reactionary responses to critical reception, they'll never do something like this again.

Honestly, I think it's partly an issue with hating on FFXIII is the expected thing, and FF to a lesser degree, regardless of what the games actually do well. LR isn't a GOTY contender by any means, it has a dumb story but the gameplay is solid and the OST is still good. It's a solid 7 or 8 in a real 10 scale sense. Not the game journalist 7 = bad, 8 = not good, 9 = pretty good, 10 = average scale.

USgamer ran an article the other day along the lines of "Was FFXIII really that bad" which presented a reasoned look at what it actually did well. It was met with derision and "lol, yes it was xD" kind of comments. It's a shame that reviews dictate so much because reviewers are awful with poo poo opinions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Schwartzcough posted:

I liked the game too. Especially the mission structure, or lack thereof. And the combat feels like a beta or alpha version of what we will get in FF15(not a bad thing). Though I wouldn't mind if FF15 used the combat system from KH BBS. That game was fun too, but I completely skipped every single story cutscene because lol kingdom hearts.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

Have the reviews been that bad? Apart from the rather incoherent plot, most of the reviews I read seemed positive. I think I only read Eurogamer and IGN though...

I have to say I think it's very well done, and I really like some of the ideas behind the design. Like the way you can farm monsters for EP, to stop time and put off the inevitable apocalypse. If you do it too much though, then the monsters go extinct and you end up running through a dead world, devoid of life, and you realise that all you've really done is delay the inevatiable at the cost of exterminating whole species.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9
Arg, blocking seems so strange at times. It feels like it doesn't respond when I hit the block button so I end up just hitting it twice. It feels 'sticky' but this might just be me poorly managing my ATB. And gently caress perfect strikes with magic, I'm poo poo at those.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

After reading most of the responses here I'm thinking of getting this but should I finish the past two games for it all to make sense or is it good to just go ahead with this one?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Golden Goat posted:

After reading most of the responses here I'm thinking of getting this but should I finish the past two games for it all to make sense or is it good to just go ahead with this one?

Skip 13, play 13-2 and play this one. 13 is a bad boring game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Golden Goat posted:

XIII-2 is pretty cool and pretty fun. XIII is fairly disconnected from LR, XIII-2 is more closely linked.

Lightning Returns will never, ever make sense though. It's probably the best of the three games to play, but maybe XIII-2 has the better plot. They're all gobbldigook basically though.
There are no Tonberries or Long Gui/Adamantoises to fight in LR though. :(

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cheers, kind of relieved I don't have to slog through the rest of XIII now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gerblyn posted:

Have the reviews been that bad? Apart from the rather incoherent plot, most of the reviews I read seemed positive. I think I only read Eurogamer and IGN though...

I have to say I think it's very well done, and I really like some of the ideas behind the design. Like the way you can farm monsters for EP, to stop time and put off the inevitable apocalypse. If you do it too much though, then the monsters go extinct and you end up running through a dead world, devoid of life, and you realise that all you've really done is delay the inevatiable at the cost of exterminating whole species.

Most of the reviews I've seen boil down to 'Better than the first, worse than the second, still a long way from the glory days of the series', which is pretty accurate for my money. Interesting point about staving off the end of the world through more death though, hadn't thought of it that way.

Golden Goat posted:

Read a synopsis of the first game. You can do in less than an hour what it took the game about 40 to accomplish. In all honesty, you only need to understand a handful of key plot points and relationships to get the most out of the second game. For an interconnected trilogy, the latter two games stand surprisingly alone.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

Metacritic average is 66%, FF13 (which remember was absolutely savaged at the time) was 83%.

Game reviews are weird though in that even if the general consensus of players is that FF13 was worse than this one, when FF13 came out SE still had a fair amount of goodwill built up. At this point nobody trusts the FF name anymore so you're already going in with low expectations, not to mention the fact that they made a sequel to a sequel to what was supposed to be a standalone game is a bad sign before you even play the game.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 27, 2014

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Aurain posted:

There are no Tonberries or Long Gui/Adamantoises to fight in LR though. :(

Maybe you shouldn't have killed them all in XIII farming for the trapezohedrons or whatever they were. Never occurred to you that there were a finite number of enemies, did it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Maybe you shouldn't have killed them all in XIII farming for the trapezohedrons or whatever they were. Never occurred to you that there were a finite number of enemies, did it?

I wouldn't have had to kill all of them if they would just give me the drat trap. If they were more generous with their belongings, they'd have survived. :argh:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'm hoping there's a proper Colosseum DLC along the line. That was one of the biggest disappointments in XIII-2, the fact that the cool arena and guardian was a gigantic cocktease for some DLC. I still bought it, but I was shaking my fist as I did so :argh:

"I'm only in this for the steak." :colbert:

Actually, the only times I've heard Lightning sound somewhat happy/proud was when she's talking about eating/grilling Behemoth steak, which granted, is probably justified.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The line of shields with flowers on top and good ATB recovery have the same maxed stats when upgraded. The 500k one is no better than the 4k one. That's a real player troll and a half.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

McDragon posted:

It's a shame it takes such a long time to upload pictures to the Outerworld thing. And annoying how difficult it is to grab them. I've had lots of fun taking goofy pictures but it would be so much better if it was faster and easier to get at them. Anyway, I persevered, so here's some snaps.

Pics

So how do you get at them? I've uploaded a few that I'd like to keep but can't figure out how to review / export them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, the way I did it was to link a Facebook account in the settings, went to the Lightning Returns page (I think there's a link on the Square Enix one), wrestled with the app for a bit, and they all popped up at the bottom of the screen after a bit of fiddling about. As far as I can tell you can't actually download them unless you take a screenshot. Anyway, apparently it only saves the last 100 you took, and I'm pretty sure battle rankings count towards that too.

Oh, it had all the ones I took before linking it as well, which was nice.

Dunno if there's an easier way, but that's how I did it.

• Locked thread