Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

xbilkis posted:

That's the best part of this whole thing: even though it's loving insane, you can't definitively say it was the "wrong move," because Garrett played basically just as badly as the already-loathed woman who then went on to throw all of their food in the fire
No, you can say that it was the wrong move. Garrett was a bad player, but his badness was a detriment only to himself. J'Tia is a bad player who is a detriment to the entire tribe in every way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Poque posted:

They should keep her around so she has to starve for three days.

Well, that's happening.

First time in quite a few seasons I'm really looking forward to the 2nd episode instead of just hunkering down for a slog until the merge.

I really hope Morgan makes it far in the game. Because reasons.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
That was amazing-- definitely the best opener I can remember. Brice, Morgan, Cliff, Sarah, Tony, Kass, Tasha, Spencer, and J'Tia are all already All-Stars material and it's only Episode 2. I ultimately liked Blood vs. Water and it's chaotic gameplay, but this is a nice reminder that you don't need fifteen twists and a bunch of returning players to ensure big blindsides and big moves.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Pulp Can Move posted:

No, you can say that it was the wrong move. Garrett was a bad player, but his badness was a detriment only to himself. J'Tia is a bad player who is a detriment to the entire tribe in every way possible.

I mean honestly, for Tasha and Kass, their only real prayer - no matter who they voted out - is holding on for a swap or tribe absorption or something. That's how terribly the Brains tribe hosed up the beginning of this game. Garrett going makes it a lot more likely that they'll lose another challenge, but it seemed fairly likely that they'd lose at least one more challenge even if Garrett stayed. Both of them were in far greater danger of an imminent boot with Garrett around, because they'll keep him as long as there's a prayer of winning a challenge, and Spencer is safe as long as he and Garrett are half of the tribe.

They were in a completely hosed situation, and they picked the option that (again, ostensibly, because who knows with these people) gave them at least 6 more days for something to miraculously appear. It's not great, but there's some logic to it.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Pinterest Mom posted:

A season of 20 Kim Spradlins and Earls wouldn't be super entertaining to watch.

Counterpoint: it totally would be entertaining. At least they could try it just once.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
That has to be the best first episode(s?) of Survivor I've seen that I can remember. Holyyyy poo poo.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Most absurd Survivor moment since Manono went to tribal council even after winning immunity?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Pulp Can Move posted:

A million times this!

The early game is all about having one of three things going for you: you're good at camp stuff like fire, shelter, and food (everyone loves the person that hunts and cooks), you're good at the physical aspect of the challenges and get poo poo moving, or you're a puzzle ace that slams pieces in place. If you're strong in one of the above categories, you have some strengths going for you and your tribe can win immunity. If you win immunity, you can build alliances for later in the game.

When your tribe loses the first and second challenge, you're going to be even weaker for the third. The double counsel means everyone is scrabbling, nothing gets accomplished but lazy bad social scheming which weakens the tribe for the next challenge. Soon the tribe is whittled down to the last two exhausted people that get thrown into the other tribes which have had a lot of time to build alliances. The odds of coming back from a split like that are astronomical.

J'Tia hosed up with the shelter and is a camp layabout.
J'Tia was last swimmer to the cage.
J'Tia had a few minutes head start on the puzzle and came in last.

Three strikes!

Then she burned all their rice! J'Tia is horribly destructive to her tribe and is going to lose it for them. None of Team Brains is going to make it past the first half of this season, I am sure.

Prediction: After the next inevitable Team Brain Failure, Spencer gets cut loose due to gender lines. (Which is stupid, as he's the only remaining physical presence the team has left now.) This hastens their next loss, after which J'Tia is cut. Cass and Tasha go into the other tribes, and are rapidly lost.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

LeJackal posted:

When your tribe loses the first and second challenge, you're going to be even weaker for the third. The double counsel means everyone is scrabbling, nothing gets accomplished but lazy bad social scheming which weakens the tribe for the next challenge. Soon the tribe is whittled down to the last two exhausted people that get thrown into the other tribes which have had a lot of time to build alliances. The odds of coming back from a split like that are astronomical.

Tell that to Malcolm and Denise.

As others have said, the Brains tribe are probably going to lose the next few challenges anyway. Kass needs to quickly get herself in a situation where she can be in the top 2 of her tribe, and taking out Garrett was the best way to ensure that, especially now that J'Tia has alienated herself from Tasha.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

mancalamania posted:

Tell that to Malcolm and Denise.

I said the odds were astronomical, not impossible. Though I don't see a Denise or Malcolm 2.0 here.

mancalamania posted:

As others have said, the Brains tribe are probably going to lose the next few challenges anyway. Kass needs to quickly get herself in a situation where she can be in the top 2 of her tribe, and taking out Garrett was the best way to ensure that, especially now that J'Tia has alienated herself from Tasha.

No poo poo they're going to lose. They'll be half starved thanks to J'Tia and severely understrength without Garret. Dumping him for her was the dumbest of ideas - both of them were doomed to get cut but at least Garret had better odds of buying some time and a reward at the next Challenge.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Slightly better odds at tribal success are counterweighted by much worse odds at individual success.

Even with a nearly 0% chance at tribal success (versus...let's say, a 20% chance if Garrett sticks in the game), you're probably getting a net positive if you go from a 50% chance of getting voted out in the case of tribal failure (and basically a guaranteed boot if you lose twice) to a nearly 0% chance of getting voted out next round, and fairly solid odds of staying in for 9 more days.

When you're at the point where there are 4 people left on a tribe that's been a dismal failure, and you're in the bottom rung of the tribal hierarchy, you might as well throw the dice and pray for the game to save you.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This was perhaps the most beautiful first episode I can remember. At first, I kind of liked Garrett, but man did he really screw himself over. It is really terrible when someone can destroy all the camp food and yet still manage to not be as terrible as you.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

:stare: Christ, at first I was angry, and then I just broke down laughing at the comedy of it all, and now I'm in disbelief that premiere happened. I think the Funny 115 guy said it best, you can't script something that retarded, and yet somehow, it happens, and it's all the better for it.

Rooting for Tony, Morgan, and Cliffy, myself. That #spyshack won me over on Tony, and now I can't stop giggling like an idiot about it.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
You should just call the brains women Suicide Queens since they stick together despite J'Tia sabotaging their food supply (and sucking at challenges).

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KKKLIP ART posted:

This was perhaps the most beautiful first episode I can remember. At first, I kind of liked Garrett, but man did he really screw himself over. It is really terrible when someone can destroy all the camp food and yet still manage to not be as terrible as you.

Garrett and big booby ex NFL cheerleader from beauty tribe are the two that I was rooting to be shot out of a canon into a brick wall. Garrett because all he did was whine about everything and his voice is like nails on a chalkboard. BBXNFL girl because she just annoys the poo poo out of me.

On the Brains tribe, Kass has zero social skills or any idea how to play. Tasha is bright and socially adept with seemingly decent athletic ability. Spencer seems like he could do well but is going to get cooter blocked by the three women. If he's smart, he goes to JaTia and Tasha and scrambles for their votes against Kass.

I have a feeling that there going to be a bit of a shocker next week and the brainiacs eek out a win

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I wonder if Kass decided to vote off Garret ahead of time or it was just sheer rage at his inexplicable Tribal Council blabbermouthing? I'm guessing the latter, and that Gerrit had assumed the TC result was an unshakable forgone conclusion and was trying some sort of gambit for the future, the purpose of which I can't fathom. And then it blew up in his face. And the whole tribe's face, really, because they're screwed.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I wonder what they plan on eating. And who's going to get that food.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

SteveVizsla posted:

I wonder what they plan on eating. And who's going to get that food.

Didn't they get a new bag of rice when Brandon dumped it? May end up being the case again here.

Feral
Jun 13, 2003

My god, look at this place. It's like a museum of failure!

Ghostpilot posted:

Didn't they get a new bag of rice when Brandon dumped it? May end up being the case again here.

The difference was Brandon got sent home right after that.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Feral posted:

The difference was Brandon got sent home right after that.

And there was a tribal swap right after, so the new food was nominally for the new tribe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe they have a lot of that bizarre fruit Garret was chomping on.

xbilkis posted:

Slightly better odds at tribal success are counterweighted by much worse odds at individual success.

Even with a nearly 0% chance at tribal success (versus...let's say, a 20% chance if Garrett sticks in the game), you're probably getting a net positive if you go from a 50% chance of getting voted out in the case of tribal failure (and basically a guaranteed boot if you lose twice) to a nearly 0% chance of getting voted out next round, and fairly solid odds of staying in for 9 more days.

When you're at the point where there are 4 people left on a tribe that's been a dismal failure, and you're in the bottom rung of the tribal hierarchy, you might as well throw the dice and pray for the game to save you.

100% this. I'm a big believer that you have the leave the strategy at the door to start with and play for Tribe strength in the early days. But when you're down to four people on Day 7, your tribe is utterly incompetent and insane, and the guy leading it has just basically laid out the boot order in tribal council? You just gotta fight to survive and pray for a miracle. Tasha never had a choice. She knew she was a dead women walking when they announce J'tia was going home and Garrett confirmed it in Council. And Kass didn't seem terribly secure with the guys even before Garrett threw her under the bus. The tribe was hosed so you just have to try and be the last rat on the ship at that stage. Hope a lucky merge saves your rear end.

And the funny part is that it was absolutely the right decision because of that idol. They didn't know that but that dummy with an idol could have been a disaster for them. Now they took his rear end out early and with any luck they'll find his idol in a pile of his dirty underwear and all have a good laugh.

Man, I was laughing so hard during that council I nearly passed out.

What an amazing start. And the loving cop. Wow. Its impressive when you can be that crazy and stupid and not even in the bottom three of worse players in the season. That spy shack better follow through somehow. I can't wait to see him sitting on the side of it when the roof caves in and everyone is staring at him.

I'm all about Team Brawn. Cliff, Wu-Tang, and Sarah. I loved her extra commentary during the challenge. "Are they still working on their first piece? I must be on the wrong tribe."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pulp Can Move posted:

She was more of a detriment for sure (challenge liability, crazy rice dumping), but he was a detriment to the whole tribe too. He was blowing their alliance, making things awkward with his open dialogue thing, and all sorts of stuff. Now, J'Tia should have probably gone knowing what they know, but knowing what we know (Garrett had the idol) this may actually be better for them. They can just knock out J'Tia next and keep the non-crazy people together, if they don't all starve to death.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

She was more of a detriment for sure (challenge liability, crazy rice dumping), but he was a detriment to the whole tribe too. He was blowing their alliance, making things awkward with his open dialogue thing, and all sorts of stuff. Now, J'Tia should have probably gone knowing what they know, but knowing what we know (Garrett had the idol) this may actually be better for them. They can just knock out J'Tia next and keep the non-crazy people together, if they don't all starve to death.

I'm fairly certain that Spencer is next up on the block, for various idiotic reasons.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The brains are literally the dumbest team ever. Crazy person destroys all our food. Person to blame? Dude who left her alone. Speaking of Garrett... What an idiot. Just shut up.

Literally admit that a person is unstable and can't be left alone. They destroy all your food. They make you lose challenges. Better keep them.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 27, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

LeJackal posted:

I'm fairly certain that Spencer is next up on the block, for various idiotic reasons.

"We're voting Spencer out for..." :rolldice: "...wearing plaid green board shorts."

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo that episode was insane. I can't believe J'Tia is still there and I don't know what the Brain are thinking. Smart people should know you don't need to play for Day 39 on day 1 (or day 3).

I have a feeling that Spencer and Kass might pair up and it might end up as a weaker version of Malcolm and Denise.

I just don't get why Tasha is fighting so hard against getting rid of J'Tia even if she would have been next in line and I'm not sure she would have been. She started complaining about wanting to scheme and backstab, but there are times when it just isn't needed and this was one of those times. Garrett might be a threat personally, but J'Tia is a threat to the entire tribe. However, she did get lucky in that Garrett had the HII, but didn't think he needed to bring it.

Birth Ritual
Jul 22, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Now they took his rear end out early and with any luck they'll find his idol in a pile of his dirty underwear and all have a good laugh.

Quite sure they don't get to go through his stuff when they get back, it will be removed by production and rehidden I would guess.

---------

There's a few different ways of being beautiful, a few different ways of being strong, but there are a million different ways of being smart. And it's obvious that there are plenty of people who can be brilliant in one way, and an absolute moron in other ways. I think the Brains tribe probably had the most pressure to live up to what they were deemed, and they have obviously failed.

I totally would have voted out J'Tia for dumping the rice alone, but it is clear that it was a good personal move for Kass and Tasha to not go for her. Spencer's only hope is to try to align with her after they lose the next challenge!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think her "this isn't how Survivor is played" tantrum probably came after a lot more nonsense from Garrett. The way they were all acting and talking it seemed clear Garret wouldn't let anyone talk to anyone alone. So the tantrum was probably a frustrated response to him holding them all hostage to prevent scrambling. Then she and Kass went to "wash their feet", got in a few seconds of exasperate talk about Garrett, and then he came crunching along.

I mean, even Spencer felt a need to call Garrett out on that crap in Council so I just imagine there was way more of it. If I was there and he won't let me alone I would probably lose it too.

And honestly, I don't think Tasha had any other option. From her perspective she absolutely was the odd man out. She could have just gone along with it but then she would have been in the Ciera position from last season. Even though we know the Kass alliance with the guys wasn't that stable she had every reason to believe it was a strong three the way they were all on the same page. J'tia and her insanity just made it an ridiculous position for her to be in.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 27, 2014

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

STAC Goat posted:

And honestly, I don't think Tasha had any other option. From her perspective she absolutely was the odd man out. She could have just gone along with it but then she would have been in the Ciera position from last season. Even though we know the Kass alliance with the guys wasn't that stable she had every reason to believe it was a strong three the way they were all on the same page. J'tia and her insanity just made it an ridiculous position for her to be in.

Yeah, when a guy you've never seriously talked strategy with is ordering you not to strategize (and asks two other people who they think should be voted out before you), it doesn't bode particularly well for the future of your game. The funny thing is, I imagine Tasha and J'Tia would have pitched Kass on booting Spencer if they were actually given the opportunity to talk alone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Birth Ritual posted:

There's a few different ways of being beautiful, a few different ways of being strong, but there are a million different ways of being smart. And it's obvious that there are plenty of people who can be brilliant in one way, and an absolute moron in other ways. I think the Brains tribe probably had the most pressure to live up to what they were deemed, and they have obviously failed.

I totally would have voted out J'Tia for dumping the rice alone, but it is clear that it was a good personal move for Kass and Tasha to not go for her. Spencer's only hope is to try to align with her after they lose the next challenge!

I think someone else nailed it before. The problem with "Brains" is really smart people tend to think they're the smartest person in the room, when the reality is that as you said there's a million ways you can be smart and being a genius at one thing doesn't qualify you for jack else. That's what got J'tia in trouble initially because she got bossy and took charge without anyone asking. And David, Kass, and Garrett were all clearly playing hard right out the gate trying to outsmart everyone else.

On paper I wonder if Brawn might not have the best chance of working together just because so many of them are team athletes or members of fraternities like the police. To some extent or another they theoretically are all "team players" already. Stereotypically brainiacs just don't tend to play well with others. Of course even if there's any truth to this the nutty cop threatens Brawn's functionality.

As for Spencer I think his best bet is to appeal to Kass and Tasha's logic. J'tia has given them a dozen reasons to vote her off and is now clearly unstable. It just makes sense to keep Spencer if he can just pull even a little Vytas and ingratiate himself with the women. I doubt he's got the social game Vytas had but these women are barely an alliance and don't even seem to like each other much. All he has to do is make the very easy case that voting off the last guy and a stable person doesn't make sense and that he's not going to jump ship at the first sign of a merge. Of course that assumes Kass and Tasha play logically.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

God drat. :allears:

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Also this

No Manners No
Jul 15, 2010
Didn't Poker have some whiny confessional about how he was hurting because he's used to food being brought to him at the table? I know the rest of them didn't hear it, but I don't think I'd want to be around him after the rice was gone either.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

No Manners No posted:

Didn't Poker have some whiny confessional about how he was hurting because he's used to food being brought to him at the table? I know the rest of them didn't hear it, but I don't think I'd want to be around him after the rice was gone either.

Indeed he did, which was the impetus to me throwing punches at my TV screen from across the room.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The best part about that is he's whining about how hard it is and how he didn't come to "survive", he came to play the game. And then he's trying to roadblock and control the game and totally Magoos the hell out of every possible move.

I'll give him one bit of credit though, at least when he was voted out he didn't make any excuses and clearly seemed to recognize how bad that was. Marlins went out all "I don't regret anything, I played how I wanted to." Garrett had the decency and self awareness to go out "I'm a dumbass and this is embarrassing."

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What a fantastic first episode. It seems like the casting directors found a great mix of different personalities and stuck them against each other in perfect ways. I'm looking forward to more crazy cop shenanigans, J'Tia mischief and implosions, and Cliff/Woo adventures. It's been a long time since I've been able to remember this many different players' names and personalities after one (two) episode(s)!

I can't wait to see how it all plays out, and whether it made strategic sense or not I'm glad Garrett is gone. I don't have much respect for anyone who comes out and starts whining about "starving" and "not having fun" on day 3. There are thousands who would take his place in a heartbeat, so I'm happy he didn't get a chance to play further.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Malnutricia

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
This season is amazing already, the tribe of smart people immediately vote out their two strongest members and keep the mentally unstable person who is terrible at both challenges and camp life. Incredible.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

:stare:
pre:
J-Tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

STAC Goat posted:

On paper I wonder if Brawn might not have the best chance of working together just because so many of them are team athletes or members of fraternities like the police. To some extent or another they theoretically are all "team players" already. Stereotypically brainiacs just don't tend to play well with others. Of course even if there's any truth to this the nutty cop threatens Brawn's functionality.

I think Brawn is going to be the strongest (no pun intended) team going forward. I though Brains was going to have trouble from the beginning, because Survivor isn't about "intelligence" as much is as it is about social intelligence, which stereotypically nerds are bad at. Beauty has been doing better than I thought it would, but I am betting on a breakdown of at least one or two players as time keeps going on. Brawn is pre-set-up to have an advantage in physical challenges, and aside from the guy cop everyone seems to be looking to work together.

I'm pretty sure this is the most insane episode of Survivor history. Between the guy cop's denial of being a cop and #spyshack, J'Tia throwing the rice in the fire and then staying, and Garret apparently not knowing how Survivor works at all and blurting out literally everything at tribal, it's just great.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 27, 2014

• Locked thread